Bad year ahead for Djokovic? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bad year ahead for Djokovic?

BackhandMissile
02-02-2009, 08:03 AM
He's got a great game and is potentially the biggest threat to the top two, but since this time last year (just after winning the AO) his mental strength seemed to have taken some blows.

First he failed to take Nadal's spot at number 2, and he went on to lose to Marat "grass if for cows to graze on" Safin at Wimbledon before making himself the villain at the US Open (and they won't forget it) taking a beating from Federer and then starting '09 with defeats to Gulbis and Nieminen, a shaky AO and then quitting against Roddick (only to face a lot of media criticism).

It didn't help that he tried to take a shot at Murray during the AO (and the Wimbledon crowd won't forget it, and if they do you can rely on the newspapers to revive it).

His impersonations are no longer considered funny.

Even if he has a genuine injury the crowd will not forgive him for calling a trainer any more.

Murray and Federer have shown that they don't have much love for him, and I don't think Nadal is a big fan either.

He has made a lot of enemies in the crowds.

Is this going to fire him up or will it be hard for him to handle the mental pressure?

Langers
02-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Ridiculous to say he's in for a bad year. He's still the 3rd best player on tour. No doubt he's mentally fragile and needs to learn to tough it out when things aren't going well or he's not feeling 100% but to he's still an elite player and I had him down to win the US Open at the start of the year and I still think that's going to happen.

He'll win one or two Masters Series events because over three sets he's awfully tough to beat. I didn't like his retirement at the Aus Open and I lost respect for him but I can't deny it, the guy is one of my favourites and I hope to see him win a Slam + a few MS events in 2009.

FedFan_2007
02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
To Djoko's credit he stopped the impersonations by end of 2007. So no need to recriminate on that basis. Djoko's problems are all these retirements.

Mohammad
02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
It sounds that he will face with lots of mental troubles ahead specially after his retirement and Rog's criticisms.
But I think he can forget all these disappointing results and goes on strongly the rest of the season, you know Nadal had a pretty similar situation at the beginning of the last year I know that it wasn't this much severe but he could change all thing so Novak can do the same too.

Commander Data
02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Djokovic is kind of in a similar situation then Fed. He has the game but is kind of in a mental slump. I mean, can you imagine a Nadal retire in a Slam SF due to soreness? See, that is the difference. If the Djoker mans up he will get more HC Slams. I think he clearly is the better HC player then Nadal and expect him to find his form again. His preformance at AO was not promising, though. I dearly hope he is not already satisfied with his 1 Slam!

Deejay
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I have my doubts about him. Theres no debating that he's a very good player on his day but realistically I cant see him doing much at the slams this year. Federer owns him, Nadal only struggles on HC against him but as we've seen the last two weeks he's improved beyond belief and Murray, after a couple of comfortable wins against him last year, has finally figured him out. Fitness wise he's also the weakest out of the top 4 in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how he gets on this year, hope he proves me wrong

Certinfy
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Atm me thinks he is more likely going to drop a few ranks and Murray will take Number 3.

But if he plays the way he played early last year, well then it's a completely different story. And he may just come out with a GS if not more this year.

Castielo
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
These things will make him stronger.

ys
02-03-2009, 01:51 AM
The girl might indeed be in a bit of a trouble..

FedFan_2007
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Djokovic will retire like the pansy ass he is!

rina
02-03-2009, 02:01 AM
perhaps he just needs to learn to train in different environments so conditional factors dont bother him so much in the future?

Mr. Oracle
02-03-2009, 02:04 AM
A lot of useless, childish posts on this forum from haters (ie: post #10)

I've noticed Federer always gets the easier draws with more rest and night matches. Is there some bias or institutionalized unfairness at play here?

I remember Nole had to play 3 back to back grand slam matches because of weather a year or two back.

Considering his known surgery for breathing problems and aversion to extreme heat, it was not too much to ask for the AO overlords to either close the roof, or reschedule. The system needs to be reformed and the needs of players with certain challenges should be considered to make the game more entertaining and successful. The fact that some can play in 130 degree weather is NOT a true measure of a tennis sportsman, nor should it be dogmatically insisted that players be made to play in all conditions. What is next? tennis in the winter?, or how about in a sauna to really test their endurance? What would be the point of that? Are we more interesting in how a player plays in relatively comfortable conditions or do we want to know how effective a player's cooling mechanisms are to avoid heat stroke?

STOP THE DISCRIMINATION AND FAVOURITISM !!!

Lastly, if a player feels ill, why continue to play?--the other player wins, saves energy and goes to the next round. Stop the hating folks and use your heads.

wilmar
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
perhaps he just needs to learn to train in different environments so conditional factors dont bother him so much in the future?

He did train in higher altitudes pre-AO to "boost" his fitness. But what happened at the AO showed that his preparation is obviously not sufficient.

Ultimately, tennis, as in most other things in life, is about performance and not potential.

There is no yardstick for the latter. So there is no use talking about what coulda shoulda woulda been.

Djokovic has to overcome the big hurdle of his Ego before he can realise more of his potential and better his performance.

Swagger&Poise
02-03-2009, 02:45 AM
I don't think he's in for a bad year.

He didn't have a clean AO, however watching him in each of his rounds, I saw enough of his game to suggest that he has what it takes to challenge for grand slams this year. It's a long way away, but I think he has what it takes to make the US Open final, and possibly win it. He really needs to focus on the mental aspect to his game however, and possibly his fitness. What he brings to the table though can cause trouble to any player, when Djokovic is playing to the best of his ability. It's consistently playing to his absolute best (like say Nadal), particularly in grand slams, that is the issue. He's only 21 though so I don't think he's in for a bad a year.

Mr. Oracle
02-03-2009, 02:52 AM
He did train in higher altitudes pre-AO to "boost" his fitness. But what happened at the AO showed that his preparation is obviously not sufficient.

Ultimately, tennis, as in most other things in life, is about performance and not potential.

There is no yardstick for the latter. So there is no use talking about what coulda shoulda woulda been.

Djokovic has to overcome the big hurdle of his Ego before he can realise more of his potential and better his performance.

As a Serb and a fan of Novak, I agree that he needs to check his ego and talk less about his quality and expect everyone to love him. Not sure how much more he can do about the limitations of his body though with more conditioning. Some simply have better cardio-vascular systems then others. Refer to lance armstrong and his super-human genetic endowment of being able to process a lot more oxygen than his competitors. Only so much one can do.

BalkanBoy
02-03-2009, 03:00 AM
A lot of useless, childish posts on this forum from haters (ie: post #10)

I've noticed Federer always gets the easier draws with more rest and night matches. Is there some bias or institutionalized unfairness at play here?

I remember Nole had to play 3 back to back grand slam matches because of weather a year or two back.

Considering his known surgery for breathing problems and aversion to extreme heat, it was not too much to ask for the AO overlords to either close the roof, or reschedule. The system needs to be reformed and the needs of players with certain challenges should be considered to make the game more entertaining and successful. The fact that some can play in 130 degree weather is NOT a true measure of a tennis sportsman, nor should it be dogmatically insisted that players be made to play in all conditions. What is next? tennis in the winter?, or how about in a sauna to really test their endurance? What would be the point of that? Are we more interesting in how a player plays in relatively comfortable conditions or do we want to know how effective a player's cooling mechanisms are to avoid heat stroke?

STOP THE DISCRIMINATION AND FAVOURITISM !!!

Lastly, if a player feels ill, why continue to play?--the other player wins, saves energy and goes to the next round. Stop the hating folks and use your heads.

Totally agree with you except for the part in bold. I don't think they should look after every players problems but at least make it EVEN for everyone. Not let one player burn on 60 degrees and help all the others by closing the roof and resheduling.

wilmar
02-03-2009, 03:23 AM
As a Serb and a fan of Novak, I agree that he needs to check his ego and talk less about his quality and expect everyone to love him. Not sure how much more he can do about the limitations of his body though with more conditioning. Some simply have better cardio-vascular systems then others. Refer to lance armstrong and his super-human genetic endowment of being able to process a lot more oxygen than his competitors. Only so much one can do.

I used to be a fan until the whole ego fiasco started. But I'm glad as a fan you can also recognise his flaws. I hope he will recognise them too, and more importantly do something positive about them.

As for his training, when I first read his interview about his off season high altitude training, I was fearful for his opponents, wondering if this will be a new and improved Nole 09.

But with the retirement, I wonder where the fitness training went wrong. Is it because a case of over-estimating himself, thinking he has prepared "enough" and thus not doing more.

Or is it because of the method adopted, which results now show to be ineffective.

But as you've brought up, there is so much one can do with the genetic system.
I have also brought up this point in a previous post that given his wealth and status, he could've easily gotten the best possible treatment for whatever the biological problem is.
It seems the same issues persits, so maybe it's true that nothing medical can be done.
Of course, it may help the biological strain more if his mental toughness is there.

Some think that it is something one is born with.
But I'm sure one must also be willing to treat the brain as another muscle in one's workout fitness plan.

BalkanBoy
02-03-2009, 03:39 AM
I didn't know he went to train on high altitude what a strategic mistake he should have chose Sahara desert.

Mr. Oracle
02-03-2009, 03:47 AM
^^^ yep. or maybe both.

wilmar
02-03-2009, 03:58 AM
I didn't know he went to train on high altitude what a strategic mistake he should have chose Sahara desert.

maybe he wanted to train in a thinner atmospher environment.

He also arrived ONLY during the weekend in Down Under for his first tournament. Another case of over confidence IMHO. Not enough time to climatise.

BalkanBoy
02-03-2009, 04:05 AM
^^^ yep. or maybe both.

:lol: Nah he would retire from one of them :devil: Since he can't count on the fairness of the AO orginisers his team should just let him on 70 degrees in the middle of the desert with no water for 5 hours with the condition he has to run. That's approximatevly 5 sets ;)

BalkanBoy
02-03-2009, 04:17 AM
maybe he wanted to train in a thinner atmospher environment.

He also arrived ONLY during the weekend in Down Under for his first tournament. Another case of over confidence IMHO. Not enough time to climatise.

I was just kidding with the desert thing and I'm happy he's taking measures to tackle his breathing problems by going to train on high altitude but obviously he didn't went high enough ;)

bobbynorwich
02-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Djokovic is extraordinarily sensitive to crowds cheering for his opponent --- especially if actively cheering for him (Novak) to lose. This thin-skin is as big a mental deficit as his inability to grit through less than favorable physical conditions (blisters, sore throats, fatigue etc.)

MIMIC
02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Djokovic is extraordinarily sensitive to crowds cheering for his opponent --- especially if actively cheering for him (Novak) to lose. This thin-skin is as big a mental deficit as his inability to grit through less than favorable physical conditions (blisters, sore throats, fatigue etc.)

Does a crowd ever root for Novak to lose? Outside of MTF, no one "hates" him. More to the point, tennis crowds don't ever root for a person to LOSE.

But regarding Novak's upcoming year, not really sure that I get the sense that he's headed for some real struggles. He won the Aussie Open last year and people predicted that he'd quickly ascend to #1. Things are never quite like they seem.

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Fuck Sake, another djokovic thread, the guy is 21, has beaten all of the top guys, won a grand slam, 4 masters series titles, a masters cup and 11 titles in total not to mention his prize money and we get another one of these threads. Fuckinel the guy is a world class player, he is just going through a sticky patch, he will come to form sooner rather than later trust me.

vucina
02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
The guy's just too fragile for a professional athlete. Some have bad knees and back, he has poor general stamina. I don't know if that can be improved.

zeleni
02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
The guy's just too fragile for a professional athlete. Some have bad knees and back, he has poor general stamina. I don't know if that can be improved.

I am not optimistic either. In my impression all his problems are consequence of breathing difficulties - his muscles and brain don't get enough oxigene during match.

LleytonMonfils
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
This was one of my predictions at the beginning of this season. I thought Djokovic would slide back and lose the #3 ranking. The skills are still there though people, but this game is just as much about confidence. Right now in 2009 I haven't seen it from Novak. People have to realize we're fortunate to watch guys like Federer and Nadal play but it spoils us. Djokovic is a great player, but he isn't even close to that class and the GAP is tremendous. So I'm not saying the guy is a crappy tennis player, he's got tons of talent, but the whole Nadal Federer bar is just too high right now.

A lot of people break into the top 5 and hang around for a year or so and eventually peak. It's a part of tennis. Extremely difficult to keep your level of play consistent with the top players of the world on a regular basis. I think a lot of fans and people forget that from time to time.

pricdews
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
His last 2 significant tournaments are

Winning the Masters Cup

Quarterfinal in the Australian Open (couldn't stand uncommon extreme heat conditions)

How this predicts a bad year is beyond me. Top 5 with Nadal, Federer, & Murray. Probably will win at least a masters title if not a major (US Open). The horor! Don't forget he's still just 21. Maybe he isn't in top shape at the start of the season but that's correctable. He hasn't forgotten how to play and he's shown enough fitness in the past to get some impressive results. Nadal has widened the gap and Murray has emerged as a competitor but I don't see how that's a major regression in his career?

Igaarg
02-03-2009, 03:02 PM
How can we know, the season just started. But I put my money in Murray for the 3rd place in the ranking.

Bazooka
02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Djokovic has started 2009 very similar to Nadal's 2008.

Vida
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I am not optimistic either. In my impression all his problems are consequence of breathing difficulties - his muscles and brain don't get enough oxigene during match.

as funny as this sounds its probably right. I heard somewhere he had asthma as a kid, so sure, some kind of condition that affects his immunity. possibly can be triggered in extreme conditions, whether physical or mental. not unheard of.

I would disagree on the "all his problems" part. nole did dig himself a few holes on the way, and on top of that it was mentioned somewhere in the press he was not overly diligent with his preparations this winter.

personally, I didn't think he was in a such a state as what I saw against Roddick. Ive seen that shit before and it was always heavy. so, as opposed to earlier, Im now only cautiously optimistic about the guy. whatever is the case, though, some changes in attitude and perhaps staff, should be done imo.

bobbynorwich
02-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Djokovic is best suited for either schussing the ski slopes of southwest Serbia, or throwing pizza pies at the same. He doesn't have the physical make-up for professional tennis, he's an edelweiss adaptable only for cooler, high climes.

~Maya~
02-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Djokovic is best suited for either schussing the ski slopes of southwest Serbia, or throwing pizza pies at the same. He doesn't have the physical make-up for professional tennis, he's an edelweiss adaptable only for cooler, high climes.

:silly:

Mimi
02-05-2009, 03:52 AM
don't exagerrate, not a bad year, quarter final in a slam is not that bad at all ;)