Tony Roche compares Roger Federer to Rod Laver [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tony Roche compares Roger Federer to Rod Laver

tennisvideos
01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
From the FoxSports site:

Tony Roche compares Roger Federer to the Rockhampton Rocket, Rod Laver

By Darren Walton
January 31, 2009

TONY Roche believes it is inevitable that Roger Federer will eclipse Pete Sampras's all-time record 14 grand slam titles - even if the Swiss star fails to even match the American with success over Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final.
Hailing Federer the most elegant player he had seen, Roche declared the Swiss master on an irreversible journey to tennis immortality.

“At the moment, he's one of the greatest players of all time and, if he stays healthy and continues to win grand slams, he'll go down as the greatest player,'' Roche said.

“It's probably just a matter of time before he breaks Sampras's record.''

Roche lauded Federer as the complete player and, fittingly on the 40th anniversary of Rod Laver's 1969 grand slam sweep, likened the Swiss ace to the Rockhampton Rocket.

“He plays the game the way it should be played,'' Roche said.

“He's got all the shots; he's got variation. He can slice, he can volley, he mixes it up well.

“He's a great mover; he's got beautiful balance. He's smart; his court craft is very good.

“And also his temperament. I think that helps him a lot. He seems to be quite calm and collected in tough situations.

“And like all champions, he plays his best when he needs to.''

Roche, who coached the 27-year-old for from 2005-07, during which the Swiss ace collected six majors, said the French Open remained the long-time former world No.1's last frontier.

“He'd love to win the French. If he can achieve that, he's definitely the greatest player that's ever lived,'' Roche said.

And the 1966 French champion believes Federer, a three-times runner-up to Nadal at Roland Garros, has the game to triumph in Paris.

“He's played some good matches against Nadal on clay,'' Roche said.

“I remember in Rome a couple of years ago he pushed him to five sets, had match points. He beat him in Hamburg.

“He struggles a little bit in Paris but I think it's just maybe the conditions need to be in Roger's favour - with the weather and the climate.

“If that happens, yeah, it's possible.''

And, in the ultimate accolade, Roche - who also has coached fellow world No.1s Pat Rafter and Ivan Lendl and now mentors Lleyton Hewitt - said Federer was the one modern-day player he'd love to have seen taken on Laver in his prime.

“He is the one player playing the game today that you could put a wooden racquet in his hand and he'd probably play just as well,'' he said.

“It would be a good match.''

AAP

habibko
01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
thanks for posting :D

Forehander
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Apparently you just gotta eat more swiss chocolate and you can have better hand-eye coordination.

prima donna
01-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Lovely!

Or Levy
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Sweet from Roche, considering the abrupt end of that coaching relationship.

thrust
01-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Sweet from Roche, considering the abrupt end of that coaching relationship.

Most of what Tony says is true, however, had Laver not missed 6 years of playing Slams because he was a pro and Rosewall not lost 11 years Roger or Pete would have been easily surpassed. Still, they are two of the All-Time Greats

JolánGagó
01-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Bullshit.

Fed with a wooden racket :haha:

CyBorg
01-31-2009, 08:30 PM
If Roger loses this final it would greatly hurt his reputation. The GOAT bandwagon is pretty huge right about now, but losing three GS finals in a row to Nadal would be the knockout punch.

Win tomorrow and he may be on his way to something special. Lose and forget it.

MatchFederer
01-31-2009, 09:36 PM
If Roger loses this final it would greatly hurt his reputation. The GOAT bandwagon is pretty huge right about now, but losing three GS finals in a row to Nadal would be the knockout punch.

Win tomorrow and he may be on his way to something special. Lose and forget it.

I agree with this completely. I feel that tomorrows final could actually be the most important match of tennis that Federer will ever play with regards to his legacy. If he loses tomorrow then one could site Aus Open 09 or Wimbledon 2008 as the pivot point.

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Federer loss = devastation! Win = elation and getting drunk for 10 days.

zicofirol
02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
It would be fun to have a wooden racket exhibition tournament with Nadal, Federer and add two others for showmanship value, santoro would be my pick and maybe roddick for comedic value...