Roddicks SERVE vs Sampras SERVE [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddicks SERVE vs Sampras SERVE

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Ok, both of them had great serves, but who's is better? Andy has the faster serve but is that necessarily mean better? Sampras it seems would get 20 aces a match..... I think it is because he had better placement.... what do you think?

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 01:37 AM
I think it's impossible to say at this point... Andy's serve keeps improving, especially in the placement department. let's see what the situation looks like in a few years :)

Fumus
08-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Roddick's faster than Pete's. Roddick's serve is just as clutch as Pete was at getting him out of trouble on his service games. Technically Roddick's serve is more correct Andy gets more power from his lower body, and therefore faster racquet head speed.

mitalidas
08-03-2004, 02:47 AM
pete's second serve was unquestionably superior to andy's.

also, somewhat off-topic, but roger's versus andy's serve. In both the wimbly and toronto final, roger out-aced andy. just goes to show, that power can only do so much for you (especially when the return is weak)

Fumus
08-03-2004, 03:00 AM
whatever...look at the number ace wise Andy is the best on the tour, saving Bps Andy is the best...bla bla, percentage wise, service game held, all that...maybe against Andy(not a great returner) Roger's serve is better but, besides that, eh, no.

Fumus
08-03-2004, 03:05 AM
you know nothing about serves you just watch TV...and are like wow that's nice one...lol...

Let's review some of the characteristics that separate Roddick from the rest of the pack.

Roddick uses a delayed double cocking action that none of the other servers have.
Roddick has perfect 90-degree knee flexion.
Roddick coils less than the other servers during his preparation phase which allows him to more easily uncoil and utilize the kinetic chain more efficiently.
Roddick, by far, uses his legs more effectively than any other server to explode into impact.
Roddick is the only server here who completely uncoils his body by contact. He is square to the ball at impact which means he fully utilizes all of his kinetic chain and kinetic energy at impact.
Roddick is the only player who has his torso completely extended at contact with less trunk tilt than the other demonstrated servers.
Unlike the other servers, Roddick uses his tossing arm during the preparation phase to stretch his abdominal region allowing him to fire the core muscle group more explosively.

:) This is take from Tennisone.com and an article on the best servers and why Andy's is the best. ;) mmmhhhkkk so go back elsewhere! :wavey:

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:31 AM
andy has slow reflexes also.... and..... andys serve is why hes number 2.... not much else.

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:32 AM
you can name allt he things you want but if it doesnt convert to aces..... it doesnt matter.

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 03:32 AM
then why isn't Ivo Karlovic #2? His serve is arguably better than Andy's.

And since when do aces determine serve effectiveness? What if someone serves all body serves and the opponent gets the racket on them but none are put back in play? That'd be 0 aces but the person would always hold serve to love. Please. :o

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:33 AM
well cuz. andy does have the forehead 2 lol

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:34 AM
he does have slow reflexes you must admit... he stands so far back.

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 03:36 AM
He doesn't have slow reflexes, he just isn't as good at taking the ball early like someone like Andre. BUT he is a lot better now than he used to be. He can take the return early now, depending on his opponent, and when he does it, it can be very effective for him.

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:37 AM
if andy were to return his own serve he would be back near the lines people.

tangerine_dream
08-03-2004, 03:37 AM
I would say that Andy definitely has the best serve of anyone right now; his second serve alone sets him apart and his dominating stats from 2003 speak for itself (http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/2003matchfacts.asp) (he also leads in aces this year). However, his placement isn't as good as Sampras' was and so I would say that Sampras' serve is superior compared to Andy's today.

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 03:39 AM
:scratch: I didn't think this thread was about RETURNING serve... it was about his SERVE.

Anyway, yes tangy I agree.... Pete's serve under pressure won him several of his slams. Andy has yet to be in that position on a more often basis, which is why I said let's see where Andy's serve is in a few years :) I think it's got the potential to be at least as good as Pete's but at this point in his career, it's not possible to compare to someone who's career is now over

star
08-03-2004, 03:39 AM
The thing I love most about Federer is that he is making everyone forget about Sampras. :)

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Andy is ruining Kiefers summer... Roger is ruining andy's summer.... and roger is owning...

Probably will be andy vs kiefer again third time in the 2nd round... hopefully kiefer will escape the power of roddick.

star
08-03-2004, 03:49 AM
just exactly why are you posting here?

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 03:52 AM
dunno.......

star
08-03-2004, 03:54 AM
yeah...... I spotted the hook in the bait right away..... too bad others didn't.

Fumus
08-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Star I think from your avatar, Daffy duck has the best serve. Seriously, I have to try that serve sometime, toss the racquet up and hit it with the ball, I could start a new style....;)

star
08-03-2004, 02:18 PM
:)

Fumus
08-03-2004, 02:22 PM
actually you know who I always thought had an underated serve...Andre Agassi. He has always done really well with his serve to set up the next shot. Actually as of lately I have seen him hit more and more aces..

star
08-03-2004, 02:30 PM
actually you know who I always thought had an underated serve...Andre Agassi. He has always done really well with his serve to set up the next shot. Actually as of lately I have seen him hit more and more aces..

Let's not keep the troll's thread alive, ok?

Fumus
08-03-2004, 03:49 PM
ohhh wwoops, I was going to make the thread interesting and cool...but ok...last post...I swear....

Fumus
08-03-2004, 03:50 PM
bla bla bla bla bla bla....I couldn't help it...hahahaha...