Is Brad Gilbert Lobbying To Be Nadal's next coach? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Brad Gilbert Lobbying To Be Nadal's next coach?

SheepleBuster
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't know how true this is, but it seems Brad Gilbert is lobbying hard to get Uncle Tony's job. He even said it on TV the other day (wanting to coach Nadal at some point). And he said that he always picks Nadal against everyone else. Now. I don't for a second question Nadal's talent, but against anyone? Doubt Brad will get it though. His best chance may be Gasquet or something

Arkulari
01-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Rafa won't leave his uncle, his friend, the person that's there for him no matter what or why, he's too family oriented to do so, Toni knows him better than anyone and is one of the reasons behind his success :shrug:

Gilbert failed with Muzza, who exploded after they parted ways, Roger is too opinionated to take any of his BS, Djoker won't change coaches either and almost all the guys in the top 15 had a good relationship with their coaches and it works for them, so I don't think any of them would take him :shrug:

reggie1
01-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Gilbert is the kind of coach where it's all about him rather than the player imo. It's why Muzza and Roddick got rid of him. John Mcenroe said in his book that Gilbert just goes on and on and likened him to "Eeyore" from Winnie the Pooh because he can be really miserable and never shuts up, even on court. He hated playing against him for this reason apparently. Personally, I hope he never gets his hands on Raffa or Gasquet. I think him and Richard would drive one another nuts!!!!

Nathaliia
01-30-2009, 08:20 PM
:spit:

Gilbert even managed to turn Bogdanovic from a good challenger player to almost a futures player

maybe Federer is paying for this idea

Certinfy
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Interesting... Tho i doubt Nadal will change.

Bilbo
01-30-2009, 08:25 PM
gilbert and nadal would be like salt and water. two very different characters. gilbert should stick to american players. fits best to him.

Kitty de Sade
01-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Gilbert has a better shot at spontaneously changing sexes than to ever get hired as Rafa's coach. Instead of lobbying for a job he'll never get, he should focus on figuring out why so many players have canned his ass like so much tuna.

TheWall
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Nadal doesn't need Gilbert, he's already winning ugly.

trixtah
01-30-2009, 09:49 PM
gilbert and nadal would be like salt and water. two very different characters. gilbert should stick to american players. fits best to him.

salt and water mix well--water preferentially solvates it over many other compounds :]

Jade Fox
01-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Gilbert has a better shot at spontaneously changing sexes than to ever get hired as Rafa's coach. Instead of lobbying for a job he'll never get, he should focus on figuring out why so many players have canned his ass like so much tuna.

But then he would have to consider that the problem might be HIM. We can't have that! Not at all! :mad: ;) :p

bad gambler
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
What the hell is Gilbert going to teach Nadal

thrust
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Rafa will never leave Uncle Tony! Murray was a total immature jerk when Brad tried to coach him. Perhaps Brad was part of the problem, but Murray was hopeless then. Some people just don't mix. Murray's game has greatly improved since he and Brad separated, but then, so has his attitude and personality.

MacTheKnife
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
What the hell is Gilbert going to teach Nadal

Excellent point. Gilbert's only claim to fame is Agassi and as we're all finding out, most of his success was a result of himself and Gil Reyes. Just ask Verdasco how working with Reyes pays off.

dusk
01-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I heard that on espn and my reaction was :haha:
Rafa could teach Gilbert a thing or two, instead.

Byrd
01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Would work IMO, both moonball and play ugly tennis.

Action Jackson
01-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Has April Fools Day moved this year?

bizzle
01-31-2009, 12:40 AM
please god no

GlennMirnyi
01-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Great idea.

The two kings of ugly tennis together.

finishingmove
01-31-2009, 01:06 AM
thanks for posting this

dam0dred
01-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Please Nadal hire him. ANYBODY, hire him. Anything to get him off television. PLEASE. :sad:

MacTheKnife
01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
Please Nadal hire him. ANYBODY, hire him. Anything to get him off television. PLEASE. :sad:

I agree with this and he can take Chris Fowler with him. That guy is a moron and should stick to football.

SheepleBuster
01-31-2009, 09:48 AM
I heard a couple of guys making fun of this idea. But Brad Gilbert said it himself on ESPN that who he wants to coach in the future and he said Rafa. Now, I agree that Rafa and Brad won't mix and it should be Brad paying for learning from Nadal. Brad may have had a lot of bad outings but Roddick came closest to beating Roger under Brad. I think the best Brad can get at this point is Donald Young but it's never bad too dream.

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 09:56 AM
2 months with Gilbert and Roger Federer will be a Futures player.

leng jai
01-31-2009, 10:05 AM
2 months with Gilbert and Roger Federer will be a Futures player.

Shut the hell up about Fedmug.

SushiMinimal
01-31-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree with this and he can take Chris Fowler with him. That guy is a moron and should stick to football.

Finally, I thought it was just me but Chris Fowler is a real moron. And Brad Gilbert too.

SheepleBuster
01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Finally, I thought it was just me but Chris Fowler is a real moron. And Brad Gilbert too.

I actually like Chris. Among Dick Enberg, the dude with colorful cloth, and 2 Marys and Pam, he is actually the most logical person.

Federerhingis
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM

:lol: :rolls: :tape: :lol: :o

He too is such a flake and a huge bandwagonner, he jumps on every new wagon that catches some speed or steam. :o ESPN doesn't pay him enough anymore? :tape: is this why he can't keep his big mouth shut for a second? :tape:

Federerhingis
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM

That Fowler dude is atrocious too, just because he learned most of the rules of the game he really thinks his opinion could or should be taken seriously. :o :tape:

At times he seems to forget the difference between an ace and a service winner. :o

Poor Dick Enberg, but at least he is eloquent, except when he gets carried away with his oh my's. :tape: :o

Enberg, Robison, Fowler and Carillo should be given other positions. :lol:

RagingLamb
02-01-2009, 07:12 AM
He's talked about this before apparently (in '06), and there was a thread about it in GM:

Gilbert wants to coach Nadal (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=74874&highlight=coach)