Did Verdasco just dodge the Curse of the Australian Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Verdasco just dodge the Curse of the Australian Open?

SheepleBuster
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I know Verdasco fans are sad that he lost to Rafa but I think this actually can work in his favor. Hear me out. Gonzo reached the final. And lost. Look where he is now. How about Baghdatis? Clement? The jury is still out on Tsonga as he is so talented but you never know. Maybe Verdasco now goes back to work with Agassi and beat Rafa next time?

groundstroke
01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
If Verdasco keeps up his extremely positive warrior-like mental attitude, he will go very, very far in tournaments, He has the talent for it.

SheepleBuster
01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
If Verdasco keeps up his extremely positive warrior-like mental attitude, he will go very, very far in tournaments, He has the talent for it.

There is no doubt. But folks were saying the same thing about Baghdatis and Gonzalez and Tsonga. I guess what I am saying is, the fact that he didn't reach the final, knowing that he had many half chances should encourage him to work even harder whereas former finalists may have just not trained that hard after losing the final.

groundstroke
01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
There is no doubt. But folks were saying the same thing about Baghdatis and Gonzalez and Tsonga. I guess what I am saying is, the fact that he didn't reach the final, knowing that he had many half chances should encourage him to work even harder whereas former finalists may have just not trained that hard after losing the final.
Gonzalez's backhand is 99% slice, that really limits him, Baghdatis has never had the X factor and has been injured, and Tsonga has also been injured.

Voo de Mar
01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Verdasco's run reminds me more of Nicolas Escude (semifinal '98) and Nicolas Lapentti (semifinal '99). They also didn't reach a Grand Slam quarterfinal earlier. The main big difference: they were unseeded.

SheepleBuster
01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I wonder if Verdasco can do the same thing at the U.S. Open. I also know that the last time he took a set of Nadal was on grass. Maybe he can pull it off at Wimbledon too?