Any adjustments for the final? (for Nadal) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Any adjustments for the final? (for Nadal)

Stefanos13
01-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Obviously he'll be tired and to maximise his chances against Roger he'll need to:

– stand closer to the baseline when receiving
– use the backhand for winners more often (it was gone in the last two matches)
– try to finish points quicker

Can he / will he do any of the above or anything else? Be his Tony for a minute or two...

scarecrows
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
– stand closer to the baseline when receiving
– use the backhand for winners more often (it was gone in the last two matches)
– try to finish points quicker

you just described the way he SHOULD NOT play
he has beaten Federer so many times mainly based on the opposite gamestyle you mentioned

iriraz
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
He probably wanted to say how Nadal should try to play if his legs are heavier and can`t afford to run that much.I think he should try to finish the points more quicker and try a few return of service winners.

t0x
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM
He's got to make life hell for Roger as he usually does. Make Federer rush his shots, kill his BH, and get everything possible back into play. It would help if he served well as well.

scarecrows
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
He probably wanted to say how Nadal should try to play if his legs are heavier and can`t afford to run that much.I think he should try to finish the points more quicker and try a few return of service winners.

Nadal simply cant do that unless he plays C. Rochus and the like :shrug:

Sebby
01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Nadal is never tired.

nkhera1
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Forget trying to hit the flat forehand (which apparently he did a couple matches ago) and go back to the high spinning forehand to the backhand every shot. I think Roddick actually had more backhand winners than Federer and he was able to get out of the defensive every once in a while by hitting deep to the backhand. Nadal should be able to have much more success. Serve mostly to the backhand and body with a few to the forehand to keep him honest. Flatten out the backhand otherwise every looping shot he hits will get killed by Federer. Try not to slice too much unless you can get it to the backhand. Be aggressive but within yourself because he can't afford to get into too many long rallies. Probably better to stand a little bit closer to the service line so he can cut off angles off of the serve return. Remember that you have beaten him on hard courts a couple times before and came close again in Miami when you weren't nearly as good and he was very good (not like he isn't now either).

marcRD
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Nadal is never tired.

Then how come Federer crushed him in Hamburg 2007?

Stefanos13
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Forget trying to hit the flat forehand (which apparently he did a couple matches ago) and go back to the high spinning forehand to the backhand every shot. I think Roddick actually had more backhand winners than Federer and he was able to get out of the defensive every once in a while by hitting deep to the backhand. Nadal should be able to have much more success. Serve mostly to the backhand and body with a few to the forehand to keep him honest. Flatten out the backhand otherwise every looping shot he hits will get killed by Federer. Try not to slice too much unless you can get it to the backhand. Be aggressive but within yourself because he can't afford to get into too many long rallies. Probably better to stand a little bit closer to the service line so he can cut off angles off of the serve return. Remember that you have beaten him on hard courts a couple times before and came close again in Miami when you weren't nearly as good and he was very good (not like he isn't now either).

thoughtful reply. All you said makes good sense. One of the things that will be beyond his control will be the tired legs. He's bound to be tired but nothing can be done about that

Sebby
01-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Then how come Federer crushed him in Hamburg 2007?

Strategic tank for RG :p

Stefanos13
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
This from Nadal's interview makes it a bit clearer. The interviewer read my mind!:

Q. Do you plan to play closer to the baseline against Federer? Tonight you had to run really a lot.

RAFAEL NADAL: Was tough to be more inside, no? What do you think? Did you see the speed of the ball or not (laughter)?

Q. I saw he was able to stay farther in front.

RAFAEL NADAL: I would love to be more inside, yeah. I gonna try to be more inside for the final, but I am playing against Federer.

The_Nadal_effect
01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice match strategy thread, Stpnos.

Rafa has defeated Fed 2 times on hard courts, and taken him to 5 sets once.
So its not impossible, though he'll have to be aggressive, and break Fed's rhythm varying his topspins and their depth into Fed's backhand; something Roddick didn't do yesterday, IMO.

Roddick totally played to Fed's strengths and his netplay was awful.

Arkulari
01-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Roger's shots seem to be sharp as ever, so Rafa will have to play agressively, he was too defensive in his last two matches and that won't work on Roger who would pound in the slightless mistake ;)

groundstroke
01-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Hit high to the backhand and hope to God Federer doesn't play well.

feuselino
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
He'll do what he always does when playing Federer: Work the backhand again and again until it breaks down... God, I hope Roger finds the right answers to this...

Matt01
01-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Hit high to the backhand and hope to God Federer doesn't play well.

I think the first part should be enough. Rafa probably does know by now how he has to play his underling. ;)

Aurora
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
First on to do list: play deep. All those balls bouncing on or even before the service line will be trounced by Federer who isn't hesitant to move forwards.

Second: everybody, even journalists are pointing it out -> get closer to the baseline (as Oracene Williams once shouted: Get out of Melbourne!)

Third: as nkhera1 said, find that flat, deep or cc angled backhand. I watched a bit of 2008 Wimby final today and boy, the difference of form is enormous on the backhand side.

Fourth: do what you always do against Roger: POUND THAT BACKHAND

lurker
01-31-2009, 02:54 AM
Nadal doesn't need much adjustment, he just needs to recover to be able to play his game. His game vs Federer on this court = Australian Open title to Nadal.

sheeter
01-31-2009, 03:50 AM
My only wish is that he'd the serve a little closer to the baseline. I'm surprised he didn't hit the back wall.

leng jai
01-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Deliver an endless barrage of sky scraping moonballs to Fedmug's GOAT backhand. Works everytime.

habibko
01-31-2009, 04:59 AM
Deliver an endless barrage of sky scraping moonballs to Fedmug's GOAT backhand. Works everytime.

not really, if Federer was in great form and confidence he will turn the point around and win it with his forehand, he did that so many times in TMC 2007 against Nadal and Ferrer.

scoobs
01-31-2009, 05:02 AM
Can Nadal get the ball up high enough to the backhand consistently though? Does the court take the spin well enough to really kick it up like he can on clay? That, Nadal's freshness, and Federer's serving will be key factors.

leng jai
01-31-2009, 05:57 AM
not really, if Federer was in great form and confidence he will turn the point around and win it with his forehand, he did that so many times in TMC 2007 against Nadal and Ferrer.

You'd think that. But sometimes I feel Fedmug wants to prove to us his backhand is ultimate.

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Basically hit high to Roger's backhand a 1000 times in a row, GSM.

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 07:33 AM
You'd think that. But sometimes I feel Fedmug wants to prove to us his backhand is ultimate.

He does have a point to prove - that he has the best single-handed backhand of the Open Era.

nanoman
01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
This will be Nadal's adjustment: even more spin to Fedmug's BH.

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 07:41 AM
This will be Nadal's adjustment: even more spin to Fedmug's BH.

Which means more running around his backhand to hit IO forehands.

nanoman
01-31-2009, 07:50 AM

You mean Fed running around his BH ? Yes when that happens, Nadull will then go to the open FH side for the winner.

habibko
01-31-2009, 07:50 AM

IO forehand from Nadal goes to Federer's forehand dude :rolleyes:

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
IO forehand from Nadal goes to Federer's forehand dude :rolleyes:

I meant Federer hitting IO forehands. But I mean the top quality ones we saw in Wimbly.

habibko
01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
I meant Federer hitting IO forehands. But I mean the top quality ones we saw in Wimbly.

yeah but that does open up the court for Nadal, unless it's an outright winner for Fed, so it's an all-or-nothing shot.

I think the best way for Fed to negate the topspin assault on his backhand is to slice DTL where Nadal has to hit a backhand slice or topspin to Fed's forehand where he shall take command of the point, unless Nadal runs around the slice and use his forehand which will open up the court for Fed to also take command of the point.

however the execution of the slice DTL is pretty hard with all that topspin from Nadal..

Foxy
01-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Before the semis I would have sworn Rafa had the title in the bag. But the long semi IMO is the perfect equalizer in that match. Even it gives 60:40 chance for Rog. I guess Rafa should not change anything. He hasn't lost to a single handed backhand for a little more than an year I hasn't lost to Federer for more than a year and 3 months.

Stefanos13
01-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Before the semis I would have sworn Rafa had the title in the bag. But the long semi IMO is the perfect equalizer in that match. Even it gives 60:40 chance for Rog. I guess Rafa should not change anything. He hasn't lost to a single handed backhand for a little more than an year I hasn't lost to Federer for more than a year and 3 months.

Yes, Roger has the advantage of a 2-day rest, but for Nadal 1 day may be enough to recover. In any case, really bad scheduling but let's hope the tension of the Verdasco match didn't get in the way of getting a good night's sleep :)

Kolya
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Adjusting his undies as usual...

fast_clay
01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
nadal needs to use his effective slice backhand more. i noticed that it has improved greatly over the past 10 or 11 days and i think he should use it to approach the net more. at the net you can finish points quicker

habibko
01-31-2009, 10:02 AM
nadal needs to use his effective slice backhand more. i noticed that it has improved greatly over the past 10 or 11 days and i think he should use it to approach the net more. at the net you can finish points quicker

:haha: :haha: :haha:

leng jai
01-31-2009, 10:07 AM

I heard Nadull has been developing a lethal power slice overnight that will blow Fedmug off the court tomorrow.

groundstroke
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
You mean Fed running around his BH ? Yes when that happens, Nadull will then go to the open FH side for the winner.
yes nadal can hit a FH down the line for a winner if Fed runs around his BH to hit an inside out FH, but judging on Wimbledon, Federer was hitting about 30-40 winners on that FH inside out shot.

habibko
01-31-2009, 10:10 AM
I heard Nadull has been developing a lethal power slice overnight that will blow Fedmug off the court tomorrow.

I heard he has been practicing a one-handed backhand since yesterday to perfect his slice, afterall this is a once in a lifetime chance to win a HC slam.

«Ivan»
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
mind adjustment>pray 'n hoping one hour more.

january rafa is 34th in the world.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Come on, we all know what "tactics" Mugdull is going to use. He has been training his cross-court forehand for months for this match. In training, every time he hits a forehand which bounces up less than eight feet, he gets a beating from Uncle Toni.

FedFan_2007
01-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Come on, we all know what "tactics" Mugdull is going to use. He has been training his cross-court forehand for months for this match. In training, every time he hits a forehand which bounces up less than eight feet, he gets a beating from Uncle Toni.

No, Nadull must hit it so it goes at least 8 meters high or he gets a session on "the rack".

superslam77
01-31-2009, 10:42 AM
:yeah:

rafa_maniac
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
He certainly has to return a hell of a lot better than he did against Verdasco :o

A_Skywalker
01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
No, Nadull must hit it so it goes at least 8 meters high or he gets a session on "the rack".

:lol:

The_Nadal_effect
01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Second: everybody, even journalists are pointing it out -> get closer to the baseline (as Oracene Williams once shouted: Get out of Melbourne!)

She said that to Nadal?:eek:

Certinfy
01-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I feel Nadal has to return and take more risks...

peterparker
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
This is not Dubai 2006, although nadal just showed he can still play that style off the ground if he is forced to. :)

No doubt nadal will be more inside the court, fed's backhand will allow him to do that. But Nadal is too smart to pound flat cross court forehands, that's how everyone else loses.

Off the ground it will be reminiscent of the wimbledon match imo. Serving, the ace counts at this AO look to be closer to the FO than wimbledon.

PiggyGotRoasted
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
lol they deleted my nadal excuse thread.

Lame

leng jai
01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the reason Nadull doesn't pound flt cross court forehands is because he is too smart compared to the rest of the tour.

moon language
01-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Regardless of being tired Nadal is going to be happy that he can hit the crosscourt forehand again without feeling like he's giving up control of the point every time he does.

peterparker
01-31-2009, 09:55 PM
:rolleyes:Yeah, the reason Nadull doesn't pound flt cross court forehands is because he is too smart compared to the rest of the tour.

good one there leng jai! :rolleyes:

He can go after the crosscourt forehand more now, certainly did in the first three matches and did in last years olympics. But it would be a mistake if he did it here. He should go for deep semi-loopy forehands.

peterparker
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Regardless of being tired Nadal is going to be happy that he can hit the crosscourt forehand again without feeling like he's giving up control of the point every time he does.

I agree. It was sad in the last match, off the ground the only option he really had was his forehand to verdasco's backhand. Playing federer off the ground will be a little easier imo. :)

Commander Data
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Adjustments? Nadal should wear diapers, so that the spanking doesn't hurt that match

Fed=ATPTourkilla
01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
I agree. It was sad in the last match, off the ground the only option he really had was his forehand to verdasco's backhand. Playing federer off the ground will be a little easier imo. :)

Is that all you think of Nadal? If his cross-court F/H is taken away, he has no options left? Do you think he's that one-dimensional?

peterparker
01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Adjustments? Nadal should wear diapers, so that the spanking doesn't hurt that match

I get the impression that you don't like it idea that nadal will be hitting cross-court forehands, down the line backhands, cross-court slices and serves down the T on the duece side and out wide on the ad-side.

Am I reading this right commander data? :)

Don't worry nadal crunches a lot more down the line forehands and a few more cross court backhands these days too.

peterparker
01-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Is that all you think of Nadal? If his cross-court F/H is taken away, he has no options left? Do you think he's that one-dimensional?

uh oh trolls seem to be getting nervous.

Guys, federer is the favorite!...nadal said so. :)

Rosa Luxembourg
01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
based on h2h it is Roger who has come up with new tricks. hoping he has some saved up his sleeve

SheepleBuster
02-01-2009, 02:42 AM
I think the best Adjustment Nadal can make is lose to Roger so Roger can retire and leave the titles to Nadal and Murray.

thrust
02-01-2009, 03:04 AM
based on h2h it is Roger who has come up with new tricks. hoping he has some saved up his sleeve

True-LOL!! But I am hoping Nadal beats Roger AGAIN!

hilluis
02-01-2009, 04:57 AM
No pre-match final interview with Nadal on Aust Open website? I thought players always did a prematch interview. Perhaps the interview after the Verdasco match is considered the pre-final interview......

Stefanos13
02-01-2009, 06:01 AM
The time in nearing...

Rafa, two things:
– stand closer to the baseline
– use the backhand which you seem to have forgotten (remember: you have two forehands)

:):wavey:

Burrow
02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
what the hell is "two forehands" supposed to mean...

Kolya
02-01-2009, 11:07 AM

The guy is a bit lost...

nkhera1
02-01-2009, 11:28 AM

I think the fact that he is actually right handed so that is a huge aid on the backhand.

Stefanos13
02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
The guy is a bit lost...

I'm not that lost. That's an expression Federer used to indicate how lethal Nadal's backhand can be (ie, as strong as his forehand).

Never mind, the adjustment was obviously made :wavey: