AO QF: Nadal def. Simon 6-2 7-5 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO QF: Nadal def. Simon 6-2 7-5 7-5

Lopez
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Simon fought, but it can only get you so far. Lots of long rallies here, as was expected.

Simon was bad in the first set despite breaking once he lost his serve 3 times. The second set seemed to go in a similar fashion when Rafa broke for 2-0, but Simon regained his composure and broke back. Then it went pretty comfortably on serve, until 4*-5 Rafa serving when Simon got a set point at 30-40. Rafa took care of it however and took the long game. This seemed to unsettle Simon, who lost his serve and Rafa served out the set.

Rafa broke early in the third, but Simon broke back for 3-3. Then Simon faltered again at 5*-5 and Rafa took the break and duly served out.

Very often when Gilles lost the first point, he was broken to love or to 15, but when he won the first point, he usually held to love or 15 :).

Gilles has a nice game IMO with mixing things up and generating surprising power for someone so skinny, but Rafa was too solid today. Gilles showed some patches of brilliance, but Rafa just wore him down. Gilles needs to work on his second serve, it's pretty poor. The first serve is okay IMO. His net game also needs improvement.

Let's hope that Nando makes it a match against Rafa.

PS: Sry for the early post, didn't think Simon would challenge the call, it was so clear

MsTree
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Gilles was in his usual "I need to be a set and a break down before I play" mode and duly lost the first with a heap of errors. Nadal, in the zone from the start, never gave him anything. Getting broken in the first game of the first set was the kick up the arse needed though and he dragged his serve up a level, managed to break back and had a SP on Nadal's serve before being broken again to leave Rafa serving for the 2nd set. The errors started creeping back though and he got broken again at the start of the 3rd only for Rafa to wobble as Gillou raised a level again to break back 3-3, and kept his concentration to hold. The Aussies love a fighter and started really getting behind Gillou :D But it wasn't enough and Rafa broke him again and served it out :sad:

Good entertaining competitive match, some fine shots on display (and required) from both players but overall Gillou made too mant errors and gave himself a lot of work to do :eek: in 42 degree heat too :eek:
Well done to Gilles for his best run ever in a slam, hope there's many more :)
The black shorts are a good idea btw :devil:

marcRD
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Disappointing from Simon, played so good at moments where he was behind but could have taken both set 2 and 3 if he played that way when he could take the set.

Doggy
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
How could Simon lose??? He is sooooooo fine!!!! :hearts: RAWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Kolya
01-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Rafa was too consistent.

Simon had chances but it wasn't enough.

adee-gee
Poor match, Rafa will need to step it up against Verdasco.

Another hard court slam SF for the hard court mug :)

Montego
Nadal played the same game which costed him defeats to Gonzo in 2007 and Tsonga in 2008. He basically outmoonballed Simon to death. Had he meet someone with more power - he would be out today. He needs to make an adjustment against Verdasco.

Doggy
How could Simon lose??? He is sooooooo fine!!!! RAWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :lick:

HeretiC
01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Little bit different then Madrid, no? And how long we are supose to wait for that thread will Nadal not lose a set in AO? :mad:

FairWeatherFan
01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Extremely dull match...numbing baseline play, boring and flavourless. Like 95% of tennis nowadays...the artistry has gone out of the sport.

Erica86
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Poor match, Rafa will need to step it up against Verdasco.

Another hard court slam SF for the hard court mug :)

Yes, you are right. Rafa is playing very badly this tournament.

MsTree
Little bit different then Madrid, no? And how long we are supose to wait for that thread will Nadal not lose a set in AO? :mad:

:lol: Would that not just jinx him into losing a set?
Like it has with everyone else ;)

Goget
Simon >>> Del Potro

aeronatasha
Rock solid from Nadal on important points as always. This boy impresses me more and more every day. Here he is, playing on his least favourite surface and he is still kicking the living crap out of everybody. :worship:

Novak's got a ton to learn.

FedFan_2007
Nadal played the same game which costed him defeats to Gonzo in 2007 and Tsonga in 2008. He basically outmoonballed Simon to death. Had he meet someone with more power - he would be out today. He needs to make an adjustment against Verdasco.

Now that's Tier-1 analysis. I know all the Rafatards think Verdasco is going to bend over, but I predict another result. Verdasco in 3 or 4.

Fedexex
Simon:sobbing::crying2:
good tournament nonetheless:)

l_mac
01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Good enough from Rafa.

:woohoo:

All Spanish semi :drool:

the biscuit
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
:worship: No stopping him.

cc2monac
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
vamos rafa!!! hat a great match from both part! congrats to simon, what a great fighter but rafa was stronger!
now rafa please make it to the final!

Bilbo
01-28-2009, 11:25 AM
credits to simon. never stopped fighting like we know him. was hitting 42 winners against rafa but unfortunately made too many errors. could have also won set 2 and 3.

won't be his last quarterfinal at a slam this year.

mikkemus23
01-28-2009, 11:25 AM
ZzzzzZZzzz

JediFed
01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Nadal quite fortunate to be out of there with a straight setter.

He's going to have to step it up against Verdasco.

I didn't really see Nadal as 'in the zone', he was rather sloppy, 3 breaks. Fortunately Simon serves less well then even Nadal, and he was able to break back.

MatchFederer
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Simon is now definitely my second favourite player. He is smart and for me plays interesting tennis. There is something about him I just really like. I will now be keen to look at draws more closely hoping that Federer and Simon don't end up in same quarters or halves of draws.

bad gambler
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Rafa will need to step it up big time if he plans on winning this tournament.

rafa_maniac
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
As a Rafa fan, that was NOT a fun match to watch :( Terrible passive play from him for the most part and an unusual number of unforced errors. He had chances to run away with both the 2nd and 3rd sets but went back into a hole both times and made things very difficult for himself. Simon was patchy tonight, he really should have been able to win at least one set out there, but Rafa managed to hang tough. All I can say is, get it together Rafa, you're not going to make the final playing like that :smash:

Bilbo
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Rafa will need to step it up big time if he plans on winning this tournament.

he will beat verdasco anyway

and don't forget that federer is dropping his level as soon as he plays nadal.

TheWall
01-28-2009, 11:35 AM
It's sad to see that Nadal wins rallys were he shanks like a dozen shots. He could've won some of the points with his frame alone.

Laba
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
As a huge Rafa fan I was frustrated right from the very first game of the match. While he did enough to get the win in straights, he played far too passively for the majority of the contest and that only encouraged Simon to break back and such to make it closer than what it should have been. Nadal's backhand was too loopy, he needed to stop running around it so much as Gilles made him pay most of the time when he did and in general, his shots had more clearance over the net than usual from what I saw.

He responded well when under any pressure though, but this performance is not a good sign heading into a clash with an on-fire Verdasco. Rafa will really need to come out firing ON the baseline or Nando will be the one running him silly from side to side with his awesome directional changes off his strokes.

In summary, happy that Nadal's through to his second semi but unhappy with his performance.

Bernard Black
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on your first hardcourt slam final, Nadal.

What a boring performance from him though, got the job done yes, but just rolling the ball back into court waiting for the opponent to make a mistake is awful to watch unless you're a fan. Hope Verdasco punishes him for this but he'll no doubt wear his pink dress especially for the occasion.

holden
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Nadal is going to win his first HC Slam here.

wilmar
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Nadal didn't really play that well, especially in the last two sets (he was lucky to win in straights)
I don't know if it's the humidity or something else, Nadal seemed distracted during some periods of the match.
Thankfully, Simon didn't have enough stamina to keep up and be consistent.
he surely has to up his level for his next match, and then it'll be his first HC Slam final and then title :angel:
he may have a more daunting task in the semis than final IMHO.

Aenea
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
:woohoo:

Good win for Rafa though he could have done better had he not made some errors. I'm glad he passed that test and going into the semis with at least 1 difficult match.

Congrats, Simon. You are truly a fighter and there is something about you that makes you a dangerous opponent, good luck :wavey:

JolánGagó
01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Expected win. Simon never had any chance despite average at best play by Nadal, who will have to adjust his game against Verdasco if wanna go ahead. Kudos to Gilles, he was doing all the bunny running today and was doing it well but alas...

I predict and wish yet another Fed-Rafa final. Rafa will clinch it.

tennizen
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Another semi-final. Probably another loss to a red-hot opponent:scared:

Foxy
Are you guys, blind or stupid. Simon has all the game to trouble Nadal (flat shots + excellent retrieving and counterpunching abilities). It was never going to be easy. Simon was really taking it to him as expected. Simon is not Rochus. I expected even a tougher match than this, anyway. Simon is one of my favourite players. And I have watched him twice live on clay. He is really a big deal and IMO if he played against Rog instead of JMDP guess who might have been home by now?!

HeretiC
This was the best chance for Simon to take out Nadal in slams (with closed roof). He is best playing indoors and Rafa's worse cause topsin gets lesser bounce.
One way or another while Nadal's forehand is his biggest weapon on clay, it is definitely his weakest spot on HCs.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Boys & Girls. I think the writing is one the wall for this year. Nadal can easily win the 4 slams if he keeps this up. If he wins AO, he'll easily win French and probably Wimbledon. The U.S. Open will be tough but with a good draw and luck Nadal can win that too. Hard to imagine Rafa could have 9 Slams by the end of this year. Can he actually tie and Pass Roger in the next 2 years? The way he is improving it's not hard to imagine.

Puschkin
01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Boys & Girls. I think the writing is one the wall for this year. Nadal can easily win the 4 slams
:zzz:

philosophicalarf
01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Near 50 errors from Simon. He never really turned up today, except for a chunk of the 2nd set, and then blew that completely. Shame, he had a shot here - when he played aggressively he was really exploiting Nadal's (well-known) hard court vulnerabilites quite nicely.

Nadal must be falling over himself laughing as everything conspires to make his draw easy, as usual at hard court slams (eg last year getting to semis without facing anyone competent at all). The three players he would least like to meet, Djoko/Murray/Tsonga, are all out.

Big question for me is whether Verdasco can start fast. If he does, you can imagine a repeat of last year's semi vs Tsonga. If he gets close, and he starts to doubt, then you have to wonder whether the old Nadal voodoo over other Spanish players will come into play. Let's face it, Nadal is the ultimate mental challenge - how strong is the "new" Verdasco in that regard?

Garson007
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Simon has officially surpassed Djokovic as my fav player. Although I like the latter's game more, Simon has a sportsman's heart, something both Djokovic and Safin lack.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Near 50 errors from Simon. He never really turned up today, except for a chunk of the 2nd set, and then blew that completely. Shame, he had a shot here - when he played aggressively he was really exploiting Nadal's (well-known) hard court vulnerabilites quite nicely.

Nadal must be falling over himself laughing as everything conspires to make his draw easy, as usual at hard court slams (eg last year getting to semis without facing anyone competent at all). The three players he would least like to meet, Djoko/Murray/Tsonga, are all out.

Big question for me is whether Verdasco can start fast. If he does, you can imagine a repeat of last year's semi vs Tsonga. If he gets close, and he starts to doubt, then you have to wonder whether the old Nadal voodoo over other Spanish players will come into play. Let's face it, Nadal is the ultimate mental challenge - how strong is the "new" Verdasco in that regard?

I am not a fan of Nadal but you can just see Nadal putting Verdasco in submission. Fernando has improved a lot but Nadal is just in another league. Let's say he would've put a beating on Tsonga this year.

JolánGagó
01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Let's face it, Nadal is the ultimate mental challenge.

:worship:

so true.

Eden
01-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Are you guys, blind or stupid. Simon has all the game to trouble Nadal (flat shots + excellent retrieving and counterpunching abilities). It was never going to be easy. Simon was really taking it to him as expected. Simon is not Rochus. I expected even a tougher match than this, anyway. Simon is one of my favourite players. And I have watched him twice live on clay. He is really a big deal and IMO if he played against Rog instead of JMDP guess who might have been home by now?!

Just out of interest:

Why do you in every of your posts have to downgrade Federer's achievements instead of just been happy with the performance of your favourite player? I bet you wouldn't say anything negative about a player who Rafa wipes the floor with. We don't know how Simon would have played against Roger in a best of 5 match as they haven't played one so far.

OT: Just because Simon beat Nadal in Madrid didn't meant he would have a chance to repeat it in a best of 5 match. It takes an impressive performance to beat Nadal in a GS match.

Congrats to Rafa for his first victory against a top 10 player in a GS HC Slam and credit to Simon for a good run at the tournament :)

JolánGagó
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Simon has officially surpassed Djokovic as my fav player. Although I like the latter's game more, Simon has a sportsman's heart, something both Djokovic and Safin lack.

I like him too and agree with the sportmanship thing... but let's face it, the challenge to Nadal's MP was idiotic to say the least.

speedman
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM
For me Simon was too passive, it was as if he didn't realise he had the big flat hits in his armoury. By the time he finally got some in it was too late.

I have a feeling Verdasco is just going to hand it to Rafa, this always happens with the other Spaniards (exception: Ferrer USO 2007). We shall see.

So a Fed-Nadal final looms... too tough to call IMO.

tennizen
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM
This was the best chance for Simon to take out Nadal in slams (with closed roof). He is best playing indoors and Rafa's worse cause topsin gets lesser bounce.
One way or another while Nadal's forehand is his biggest weapon on clay, it is definitely his weakest spot on HCs.

Not true:o

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
The way Nadal is playing, it wouldn't surprise me if he made both Roddick and Verdasco quit in the heat. I want Andy Roddick to beat Fed! I want to see his cardio tested against those body blows by Nadal. I want to see how many drop shots he will chase down...

Deivid23
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Too strong, Rafa, well done :yeah:

Good couple of sets from Gilles as well, entertaining match

aussie_fan
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Simon isn't outgrind Nadal, and when he realises he needs to go for a few more shots he gave Nadal some trouble. Expected result.

Surcouf
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Very good from Nadal, he becomes one of the best and most regular player on hardcourt. I hope he wins the title.

Simon shows that he is top 10 material and should be proud of this quarter.

HeretiC
01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Congrats to Rafa for his first victory against a top 10 player in a GS HC Slam and credit to Simon for a good run at the tournament :)

In fact he has only 2 victories over TOP 20 players in HC slams. Over Youzhny (ranked 15th) in 2005 AO and Murray in 2007 AO (ranked 16th). Both in a five setters.

miura
01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Boys & Girls. I think the writing is one the wall for this year. Nadal can easily win the 4 slams if he keeps this up. If he wins AO, he'll easily win French and probably Wimbledon. The U.S. Open will be tough but with a good draw and luck Nadal can win that too. Hard to imagine Rafa could have 9 Slams by the end of this year. Can he actually tie and Pass Roger in the next 2 years? The way he is improving it's not hard to imagine.
If this is your standard level of optimism I do not envy your parents if they see your wishlist for either christmas or your birthday.

philosophicalarf
01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
For me Simon was too passive, it was as if he didn't realise he had the big flat hits in his armoury. By the time he finally got some in it was too late.

Yup.

That's probably down to lack of confidence in his shots - he just wasn't playing well today, dumping far too many long or into the net. Pretty hard to full-throttle spank it to the corners when you can't even make normal no pressure shots.

BlueSwan
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Fairly expected result. I only expected Simon to push Nadal in one set, but he managed to push him in two, so kudos for that. This is Nadals tournament, I think. I don't believe that Verdasco will beat him and Nadal is a terrible match-up for Federer.

groundstroke
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Simon needs to have a bigger forehand, he needs to make his FH a bigger weapon.

spriwi
01-28-2009, 12:54 PM
As a Rafa fan, that was NOT a fun match to watch :( Terrible passive play from him for the most part and an unusual number of unforced errors. He had chances to run away with both the 2nd and 3rd sets but went back into a hole both times and made things very difficult for himself. Simon was patchy tonight, he really should have been able to win at least one set out there, but Rafa managed to hang tough. All I can say is, get it together Rafa, you're not going to make the final playing like that :smash:

exactly my thoughts :) :yeah:

MariaV
01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
The way Nadal is playing, it wouldn't surprise me if he made both Roddick and Verdasco quit in the heat. I want Andy Roddick to beat Fed! I want to see his cardio tested against those body blows by Nadal. I want to see how many drop shots he will chase down...

They may play the semis and the final with the closed roof, I understand there's some very hot weather in the forecast. :shrug:

ToniTennis
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you Rafa and Fer for granting a Spaniard in the final.

Now please show us a nice game and may the best win.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
If this is your standard level of optimism I do not envy your parents if they see your wishlist for either christmas or your birthday.

I am too old to have a wishlist for Christmas and show it to my parents ;)

ToniTennis
01-28-2009, 01:17 PM

:lol: Please, even I, as a Rafa fan, am not that optimistic/out of reality. Or is it just jinxing? :wavey:

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 01:22 PM
:lol: Please, even I, as a Rafa fan, am not that optimistic/out of reality. Or is it just jinxing? :wavey:

I am realistic. Come one guys. Nadal will win FO and Wimbledon. Nobody can beat him there. He had Fed in straights at Wimby until it started to rain. Now, if he wins Australia, and he lost a tough match last year to Murray at U.S. Open, why can't he win all 4? It's a big if but it looks like AO is all but Nadal's

groundstroke
01-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Simon must have about 20 Forehand winners down the line or so, absolutely blinding to watch.

safinafan
01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm so sorry Simon :devil:

Bazooka
01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Nadal was very passive, yes he woud have been destroyed against a player with more finishing power.

But this was a match against Simon, so I guess the plan was different, and it worked. Still I think it was a bad idea not to go for more winners.

Now about Verdasco, the result is not even in question. Nadal is in the final.

reggie1
01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Poor Gilles, valiant Effort though, really not a good day for me today what with Jo aswell :sad:

Lopez
01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Not true:o

Yes it's true, the players that have won against him on HC in the past have exposed his rather poor forehand technique. It has a large backswing and as he most of the time loops the arm up instead of hitting through the ball, most shots will lack debth and pace. When he hits through the ball, the forehand is more lethal.

Bazooka
01-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes it's true, the players that have won against him on HC in the past have exposed his rather poor forehand technique. It has a large backswing and as he most of the time loops the arm up instead of hitting through the ball, most shots will lack debth and pace. When he hits through the ball, the forehand is more lethal.

There is some truth in your words, yet it's not the same thing watching a ball on TV and seeing it come to you in court. Not all shots lacking depth are equally weak, his heavy topspin balls bounce very high in many courts including this one, and that is very difficult to handle for many players that enjoy hitting balls at waist height.

What happened today is that Simon is not one of those players, just as Djokovic isn't, and that's why they sometimes have good chances at him or defeat him.

tennizen
01-28-2009, 02:25 PM

It is true what you are saying but not as much recently. Secondly, his forehand is definitely not as effective as on clay but it still gives nightmares to a majority of players on the tour. So to call it "weak" is not the right term to use.

RagingLamb
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Nadal was very passive, yes he woud have been destroyed against a player with more finishing power.

But this was a match against Simon, so I guess the plan was different, and it worked. Still I think it was a bad idea not to go for more winners.

Now about Verdasco, the result is not even in question. Nadal is in the final.

That's probably what it was. As much as I am against being passive (in any sport), why take big risks when your opponent is making so many errors?

I expect to see a different approach against Verdasco.

HeretiC
01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
It is true what you are saying but not as much recently. Secondly, his forehand is definitely not as effective as on clay but it still gives nightmares to a majority of players on the tour. So to call it "weak" is not the right term to use.

It is the exact term for using, good way of beating him is attacking his FH side with hard flat shots taking the ball as fast as possible on the rise, when he returns it will be short and lacking of pace due to his extreme western grip not having enough time and being able to produce larger swing from below the low bounced ball. It works even better at USO. But this is much easier said than done and not many players can utilize that.

GlennMirnyi
01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Cakewalk draw for Nadull.

Draw full of clowns.

Simon, just quit this sport.

miura
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I am too old to have a wishlist for Christmas and show it to my parents ;)
I used it as a figure of speech adn you most certainly got my point.

Alvarillo
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I Like Simon :worship:

Spanish SF :hearts: :eek:

lalit
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
congratulations on your first AO final
mugdasco will simply bend over

Sebby
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Verdasco will bend over him and FedMug will get trashed in the final. Give the title to Nadalator already. Oh and the FO one too. Let's start Wimbly.

Ivanatis
01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
this thread having 5 pages says it all

never in doubt for Rafa, although losing two sets in a row 5-7 is rather pathetic, and a long rally at 5-5 *30-40 might not have been the smartest thing you can do when playing Nadal:angel:

Tennisman82
01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Not a memorable match by any means. There was the odd great point here & there. Nadal was more defensive than usual but still beat Simon in straight sets! Rafa played the key points very well though.

Tennisman82.

Arkulari
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Rafa!!! :rocker2:
never in doubt, guys like Simon can beat him on AMS and MM but not in GS :rocker2:

Myrre
01-28-2009, 06:03 PM

The way you put it, it really sounds easy. Even I could win it, with a little more practice. :)

TMJordan
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
:( :(

ChinoRios4Ever
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
well done Rafa :rocker:

good fight Simon :yeah:

finishingmove
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
simon was nervous and made too many errors in this match, especially at the beginning.

verdasco should be a real challenge for nadal

Black Adam
01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I love how the Federer fans are always hoping for Nadal to lose before he faces their boy, talk about cowardice. Fedy would have more respect if wins a tournament having faced the best.

Naide
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
:( :(

:D:D:D
Bam Bam Vamos

Chair Umpire
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I love how the Federer fans are always hoping for Nadal to lose before he faces their boy, talk about cowardice. Fedy would have more respect if wins a tournament having faced the best.

:yeah:

Daniel
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Hope Federer can beat Nadal..

FedFan_2007
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM

Bullshit. Fed will destroy Nadal if their current forms stay the same. Never in doubt.

Fed Express
01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, if Verdasco is going to beat Nadal, then he will have faced the best...

MalwareDie
01-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Bullshit. Fed will destroy Nadal if their current forms stay the same. Never in doubt.

Yep. Nadal has been extremely lucky to have even made it this far. He sucks.

Tutu
01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Hmmm, after watching it I just think that nerves got the better of him. I know saying "Nerves" and "Simon" in the same sentence is usually ridiculous but he was in his first GS QF match in his first night match in this years AO vs the No.1 (no matter the history between them) so he was bound to be shitting bricks. Especially considering how he played in the match before.

People thought he would fade away this year but he is already reaching new heights and I think he can do big damage even at the FO and Wimbledon. Even though they were not his best surfaces, I feel that his confidence is so high and mentally he has evolved to the point where he knows exactly watch he has to do, on clay he can keep on being defensive and at Wimbledon he can use his new-found aggresiveness and volleys. His flat game should really suit grass! And considering how well he did on the lightning-fast surface of the US hardcourts and then the slightly fast indoor surfaces, he looks good to have a BIG year. Even though he is behind Roddick and Del-Potro, I really think that its only a matter of time before he is above them and even Davydenko. That 5th spot is calling Gilles' name!!!!!

So proud of Gilles! :worship:

philosophicalarf
01-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Hmmm, after watching it I just think that nerves got the better of him.

41 errors says it all, and in only 32 games. Against Guccione it was 15 errors in 4 sets.

Chair Umpire
01-28-2009, 08:08 PM

No one has said Federer can't defeat Nadal, of course he can, in fact Roger is the main favourite right now. We're just saying that some Fedfans are acting like a bunch of scared little girls when they think of Rafa possibly facing Roger in the final. :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
01-28-2009, 08:25 PM

The same way you hope Federer, Fakervic, Davydenko, Verdasco, Gasquet and pretty much just about anyone to retire/lose/etc. so Roddick can make another GS final.

rocketassist
01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
This result proves Simon can not play attacking tennis from the baseline.

Vida
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
even if simon had any chance, he couldn't have won 'cause of fatigue. that set point on rafas serve in the second set was all he reached to.

Very good result overall though. He's improving despite limitations of a small(er) man.

Arkulari
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
I would love to see a Fedal final and I guess they both would want the same, to prove themselves against the only other who's their equal :cool:

Matt01
01-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Simon is so cool :cool:
After having lost the match, he is challenging the last ball just to piss his opponent off :devil:

l_mac
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
:retard:

Nadal has been hitting his f/h better than I've ever seen before on a hardcourt.

I wasn't so happy with how he played today, but reading his post match comments it seemed he had a very deliberate game plan that he stuck to.

This match wasn't won on Simon's errors, but on Rafa stepping up when he had to.

:lol:
In fact he has only 2 victories over TOP 20 players in HC slams. Over Youzhny (ranked 15th) in 2005 AO and Murray in 2007 AO (ranked 16th). Both in a five setters.
And he has already doubled that this tournament :D What a star.
41 errors says it all, and in only 32 games. Against Guccione it was 15 errors in 4 sets.

Certainly Guccione and Nadal are very similar opponents :retard: :retard: :retard:

Simon's presser was an interesting read :D

He, who played the match, seems to have a very different take from the vast majority of people here.

Shocker.

:wavey:

l_mac
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Simon is so cool :cool:
After having lost the match, he is challenging the last ball just to piss his opponent off :devil:

For sure Nadal looked enraged.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090128/capt.30387d7742d64bf2a024a457d2972314.australia_te nnis_open_mel296.jpg

http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/photos/gallery/2009/australian3/weds7.jpg

And here he looks most angry of all :awww:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090128/capt.214c394fe7934b1aa8fc7769cb26a32b.australia_te nnis_open_mel286.jpg

Clara Bow
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
I wasn't so happy with how he played today, but reading his post match comments it seemed he had a very deliberate game plan that he stuck to.

It does seem that way. Right after the match he spoke with Darren Cahill and said that he did not have the same rhythm he had in previous matches but that Simon is a player who can feed off pace and so he tried to mix it up with softer and shorter balls, etc. He said against Nando he will have to be more aggressive and inside the court. So it does seem there was a strategy there.

Love those pics with Gilles and Rafa. :)

connectolove
01-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Nadal is a great athlete and has a great personality. This guy ROCKS!!!!!!!!! always has and always will!!!!

tennizen
01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Simon's Presser

Q. What is your take on the match today?

GILLES SIMON: What do you think (smiling)?

Q. You played it.

GILLES SIMON: Yeah, I played it. Unfortunately for me, I gave him the break every time in the first game of every set. It was hard after to come back. I didn't manage in the first set. It was better in the second and third. But finally, he was far better than me.

I mean, the last time I saved so many breakpoints and everything, and this time no one. Every time I had the chance, he played better than me. He hits a winner every time. I mean, he was just too good today.

Q. Is that a matter of experience, that he plays best on the big points?

GILLES SIMON: No, I don't know. I think it's a matter of level. I really have to do some unbelievable shots sometimes just to come back in the match, and then it's hard to play like this. It's harder in three sets, 'cause when you start the match, when finally you lose the set, then you know you have three more sets to win if you want to win the match. So it's harder.

But, I mean, I just gave what I had. It was a good match.

Q. You thought you got the maximum out of it, the maximum you could achieve?

GILLES SIMON: I don't know. You never know. Sometimes just one points or two points different and the match can change. I mean, I have a set point. Even if I have no chance, because he played a good serve, and then he hits the forehand. So there was nothing to do.

But, I mean, it's just one point, and if you win it, it can be a different match. It can always be better. But I think I did what I had to do on the court. He was just better than me today. He didn't miss anything. He didn't give any point during three sets. He was serving very well.

Q. You're happy with what you've achieved this tournament?

GILLES SIMON: Yes, of course. It was the first time I was on the top eight seed and I reached the quarterfinals. So that's why I told you I did what I had to do on this match, on the tournament. It's very nice for me.

But when you lose a match, you're never happy. I know that I had some chance to do better, and I really wanted to win maybe just one set, but just to feel different. To lose three sets to Love, it's always hard.

Q. How do you assess Rafael's chances of going on and winning the tournament?

GILLES SIMON: I mean, he has a good chance to win. He's No. 1, so... He didn't lose any set. He's playing very good. Maybe Roger because he did a very nice match yesterday. But I don't know. If he's playing like this, he have a really good chance to win.

Q. What is better about his serve?

GILLES SIMON: I don't know. It seems to me that I returned better the last time I played against him. And this time, it was only better in the third set. But in the two first sets, he did so many winners with his serve. Finally we were just playing from the baseline, but on my serve. So that's why it was a good match.

But I was just not able to break him. That was good for confidence, I mean. I think that's why he was really good in every important point because he hits a winner any time. I think you can watch the video. Every time I had the chance, he touched the line or... So there was nothing to do.

Q. Do you think that's the big difference from the match in Madrid?

GILLES SIMON: Yes, I think, really. In the first set, it was really better, it was 6‑2. That's not a problem. But if you have one chance, you have to take it against him. You can't have three, four, five opportunities. That's too much. If you miss one or two, then you lose in three sets, just like this.

I think I was better in Madrid. But finally it's very close.

Q. What is his biggest strength?

GILLES SIMON: The mental. I don't know. He's doing everything very well on the court. He has a lot improved his game. He's able to run. He can attack. He can comes to the net when it's important. Sometime it was 15‑30 on his serve, and then he did a serve and volley.

Every time I play against him, he's the best player, I think. He's still improving.

Matt01
01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
For sure Nadal looked enraged.

And here he looks most angry of all :awww:

It's the idea that counts. It's not Simon's fault that Rafa is so damn nice ;)

Arkulari
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
you gotta love Rafa, he's like a big teddy bear with a huge heart :hearts: :hug:

KarlyM
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm surprised - I thought Rafa would have completely blown Gilles off the court. Gilles played better against Rafa than I predicted. :) I hope Rafa at least makes it to the final. :)

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
The ball Simon challenged on the last point was shown to be out by 1 cm or something. It wasn't a ridiculous challenge at all.

Nerves definitely got the better of him out there. He must've gone out there expecting to win because he certainly didn't play like someone who felt they had nothing to lose. Could've been a tight affair but for shit serving and too many unforced errors.

First time I've seen Nadal here and he was mostly pretty good but he can't afford to keep running around onto his forehand while behind the baseline againt a more powerful opponent. It's a really retarded tactic on a hardcourt and Simon exposed it time and time again. The surface seems to be taking his spin nicely though and he'll be very tough to stop here.

roberthenman
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
good tournaments simons :yeah:

lurker
01-29-2009, 02:28 AM
The challenge at then end was so cute! You remember, Simon challenged Nadal's last ball against Simon at Madrid, which turned out to be out, game over. I think Simon challenged for the irony and fun of it. Very cute.

Corey Feldman
01-29-2009, 02:32 AM
this was like watching a clay match, rubbish

Crazy Girl
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
:worship:Rafa, as always...:worship:
But, Bravo, Bravo Simon!!
If he could have the half of the strenght of Nadal, I don't know...
Very strong mind! A strenuous defence!
A martyr! But, against the brute force....:o:o:sad::sad:

rtgy
01-29-2009, 08:58 PM
:worship:Rafa, as always...:worship:
But, Bravo, Bravo Simon!!
If he could have the half of the strenght of Nadal, I don't know...
Very strong mind! A strenuous defence!
A martyr! But, against the brute force....:o:o:sad::sad:

Crazy Girl
01-29-2009, 09:56 PM
:lol:;);):wavey::wavey: