AO QF: Verdasco def Tsonga 7-6(2) 3-6 6-3 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO QF: Verdasco def Tsonga 7-6(2) 3-6 6-3 6-2

Xristos
01-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the top 10 Fer.

Tsonga :wavey:

kyleskywalker007
Yay!Congrats to Fernando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Action Jackson
Get the score correct please.

meihaditalab
Verdasco played some excellent tennis. He demonstrated his fitness throughout the whole match and just beat Tsonga on the big points. He also converted all 4/4 break points. Great tennis Verdasco.
good luck in the semis vs Nadal. should be some great tennis :)

shrudy
6-6? proofread your posts. that's what you get when you try to jump the gun.

j0ns
01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
:rolls:

Action Jackson
01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Verdasco is going to bend over for Nadal, but great result for him making a GS semi.

green25814
01-28-2009, 07:58 AM
This verdasco is playing well.

trixtah
wow flawless, can I trouble voo for some of Verdasco's GS stats?

Lullaby
Great win - makes me feel a little better about muzzas defeat

Lopez
Jo :sad:

Only problem I have with this result (apart from the fact that I like Jo and I think he's great for the game, hope he stays healthy), is that if (when) Rafa wins Simon, I'm afraid Verdasco will bend over for Rafa just like the Armada usually does...

RogandyFan
Congradulations to Verdasco. I just hope he doesn't bend over against Nadal.

rafa_maniac
Fernando Verdasco you bloody legend :rocker2: I only saw the first 2 and a 1/2 sets, but he was doing a great job of really keeping Tsonga back behind the baseline, muting his flashiness, and was rock solid on BPs. Not far to go now for my dream all Spanish semifinal :drool:

Doggy
01-28-2009, 07:59 AM
LOLOLOLOL, sleeping with Ana finally relieved the tension he had so now he can play calm, cool, and collected tennis

Clydey
Brilliant performance from Verdasco. Exciting to see another addition to the top of the game. As a nice bonus, it will shut a few people up too.

Can't believe how consistent FV is now and how resilient he is. He is clutch on the big points.

Månu
Tsonga really had no plan to play a lefty. Impressive stuff by Verdasco

Smoke944
Well done to Verdasco. Still, unfortunate. I was looking forward to Tsonga-Nadal again..
Verdasco will never play this well again, I don't think
Jo :hug:

Action Jackson
Great event for Nando, just hope he doesn't ask for Nadal's autograph during the match.

Geo
01-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Wow :speakles: shocked he has been playing such consistently good tennis to get this far in a slam, and good for him.

I was hoping for Tsonga but oh well :lol:

Björki
Fer :woohoo:

:worship:

Lopez
Did Jo look a bit hindered to anyone else? Looked to me like the back injury impeded his movement a little.

simplet
01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
My god. Tsonga played like shit. 2/13 break points? Not one break point saved with his serve? He managed to go to the Tie-break in the first set, with 20 UE (!!) and less than 50 % first serve, he shouldn't have been broken in the match.

He was also strangely slow, and what the fuck was he doing letting Verdasco dictate? I don't get it.

vincayou
Impressive Verdasco. He played the important point (TB and BPs) much much better which made the difference.

~*BGT*~
My pick for final is still rolling through. :) It must feel really good to be a Nando Chica right now. :rolls:

Deivid23
Fuckingly fucking hell Fer :eek:

Can´t believe how cool he was on all those bp´s (ok, barrying the one in the 2nd set, but that was more a matter of bad net play than nerves I believe).

Too good, really :yeah:

HeretiC
Well deserved. As soon as Nando took the third set there was only one way this to be ended. I couldn't see Tsonga winning this is 5 and even if he somehow magically won the fourth he would have faltered in the 5th. He actually never played a 5 setter in his life and he is not the guy with the most endurance on the tour, in fact he is far far behind Verdasco in that area.

kalisita
Congratulations Fernando! :bigclap: Served it out with absolutely no problem. 4/4 on BPs! :worship: First grand slam QF followed by first grand slam SF. :) Awesome tournament for Verdaso.

FedFan_2007
01-28-2009, 08:02 AM
There is NO way Nando is bending over for Nadal off clay.

Blarghman
Well done to Verdasco, an excellent match, he really kept the pressure on the whole match :yeah:

But that BP conversion ratio for Tsonga :sad:

If he'd managed to do even a little better, who knows :shrug:, but Verdasco would raise the level of his serve, and Tsonga couldn't respond.

Oh well, considering there it looked like he might not even make it the MD, a good show from Tsonga. Hopefully he will be able to work on his fitness, if he could improve there, watch out :cool:

Voo de Mar
wow flawless, can I trouble voo for some of Verdasco's GS stats?

:aplot: What?

Nando :yeah:

I'd like to catch your eyes on one very positive thing from Nando's side. Third set, 5:3 adv. Verdasco, forehand on the line, called out, Tsonga barely hit the ball with the frame, challenge, replay the point. I've seen many situations like this one in less important moments and players argue with the umpire that should have won the point because the ball was outside the opponent's range. Obviously this situation is always tough to judge fairly, but for Verdasco there wasn't any problem, he smiled and played the point once again, and won it and the set. Classy behaviour :yeah: :)

trixtah
01-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Did Jo look a bit hindered to anyone else? Looked to me like the back injury impeded his movement a little.

Not in the least--he had no problems covering the baseline side to side when Nando had him on the ropes

Action Jackson

No, Tsonga doesn't like the heat and also an opponent that played better than him, which is more important.

meihaditalab
My god. Tsonga played like shit. 2/13 break points? Not one break point saved with his serve? He managed to go to the Tie-break in the first set, with 20 UE (!!) and less than 50 % first serve, he shouldn't have been broken in the match.

He was also strangely slow, and what the fuck was he doing letting Verdasco dictate? I don't get it.

Personally i think the only reason Verdasco dictated Tsonga is because of his fitness level.

trixtah

I'd like to catch your eyes on one very positive thing from Nando's side. Third set, 5:3 adv. Verdasco, forehand on the line, called out, Tsonga barely hit the ball with the frame, challenge, replay the point. I've seen many situation like this one in less important moments and players argue with the umpire that should have won the point because the ball was outside the opponent's range. Obviously this situation is always tough to judge faitly, but for Verdasco there wasn't any problem, he smiled and played the point once again. Classy behaviour :yeah:

What's his GS history? :) And any interesting tidbits?

wildegirl05
01-28-2009, 08:04 AM
fantastic match :yeah: nando, just thrilled beyond words for this result for him.

FedFan_2007
01-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Personally i think the only reason Verdasco dictated Tsonga is because of his fitness level.

Fitness is one of a tennis players weapons, not just their groundstrokes, serve or volleys.

moon language
Haha tsuck it Tsonga!

FedFan_2007
Welcome to the top 10 hot sauce! I think unlike Stan, he'll be there for a while.

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Just too good from Verdasco. I think Tsonga fucked up 1 of the 13 or so bp's he missed, on the others he had no hope. As Manu said, he just didn't have a plan to deal with the wide lefty serve in the ad court.

The key period was the beginning of the 3rd set. Tsonga has one of those concentration lapses that he tends to have in every match and he was playing catch-up from then on. With a bit more focus he could've broken in the first game of the 3rd. It's this concentration issue that Tsonga needs to work on more than any other aspect of his game. All in all though he was just outplayed today when it mattered.

RGK
01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
what his recoed against Nadal on hard courts?

Clara Bow
Jo :sad:
, I'm afraid Verdasco will bend over for Rafa just like the Armada usually does...

The way Ferrer did at the 2007 USO? Or Moya in Chennai in 2008 and in JCF and Moya at Cincy? ;)

I don't think Nando 2.0 will bend over for Rafa.

Tsonganator
The match can pretty much be summarized by the bp's, verdasco 4/4Tsonga 2/13. It seems Tsonga moves too casually when running to a ball that was hit crosscourt. He let his weight get away a little bit it seems during his injury, he needs to shed like 20 lbs to be a bigger factor.

Verdasco is very impressive, his play reminds me a little like Nalbandian with more finishing power and a much better serve. Please,PLEASE, take out Nadal next round, that is if the moonballer is not outpushed by Simon. Whoever wins the next round will run into Fed's brick wall anyways.

Clydey
Great event for Nando, just hope he doesn't ask for Nadal's autograph during the match.

I wouldn't be surprised. The Spaniards really do worship Rafa. I remember Almagro at the French last year. It was like he was star struck when he went on the court.

Voo de Mar
01-28-2009, 08:09 AM
What's his GS history? :) And any interesting tidbits?

He has been the first Spaniard since Emilio Sanchez in 1988 who advance to the QF and SF in both singles in doubles in a Grand Slam tournament. Sanchez in 1988 won doubles at the US Open and was a quarterfinalist in singles. I hope this time will be by contrast for Nando - singles triumph and QF in doubles :p

HNCS
01-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Fer is really winning me over these few weeks..... Plus he gave me an extra sweet smile the other day. lol.... If this keeps going, he's ending up on my list.

Enjoyed the match.

Blarghman
01-28-2009, 08:10 AM

I agree, you could see in the first two sets, and for sporadic bursts in the latter two that Tsonga was capable of dictating play, but he couldn't physically, and just as important, mentally. He depended on the slice more when tired, and just wasn't penetrating the court much, and Verdasco was able to attack more.

That being said, Verdasco has worked hard to get his fitness level, and very much deserves to reap the rewards :)

orangehat
01-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Lefties are really a handful aren't they? Good play for verdasco, tsonga looked tired today. Some sloppy and lazy points from him. His ranking's gonna slip quite badly.

nkhera1
01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
what his recoed against Nadal on hard courts?

3-0 on hard courts for Nadal with the last match being 6-4, 6-4 in Indian Well. I don't think you can put too much stock into though because they are both better hard court players now. Also there is no guarantee that he doesn't play Simon

martine2
Nadal will be so happy....

Result makes me sad and happy at the same time.

Very happy for Nando's semifinal spot but sad because I also would have liked Jo to win his first slam

Schu
YES!!!

This Verdasco is GOOD. Everytime Tsonga made a push to up his game, Verdasco slammed the door on him. Impressive Nando - had Tsonga running around well behind the baseline like a yo-yo.

Action Jackson
I wouldn't be surprised. The Spaniards really do worship Rafa. I remember Almagro at the French last year. It was like he was star struck when he went on the court.

Well Nando when he won that final in Umag that was very tight, he was quite consistent from there and the DC final, winning while playing poorly, has given him such a boost.

The talent has always been there, sometimes it comes through and other times it doesn't. Ferrer doesn't worship Nadal, but the match up really favours Nadal.

Mechlan
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Verdasco played great, deserved winner. I'm amazed at how even keel he is. Takes the good with the bad and moves on. Hope he keeps believing, his chances against Nadal are small but not zero.

Lopez
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
The way Ferrer did at the 2007 USO? Or Moya in Chennai in 2008 and in JCF and Moya at Cincy? ;)

I don't think Nando 2.0 will bend over for Rafa.

Well, the "usually" adverb was there for a reason... I didn't say they always bend over did I?

I hope that Verdasco will make a match out of the semi, but we'll see.

jazar
01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
at last verdasco is showing his potential

HeretiC

I'd like to catch your eyes on one very positive thing from Nando's side. Third set, 5:3 adv. Verdasco, forehand on the line, called out, Tsonga barely hit the ball with the frame, challenge, replay the point. I've seen many situations like this one in less important moments and players argue with the umpire that should have won the point because the ball was outside the opponent's range. Obviously this situation is always tough to judge fairly, but for Verdasco there wasn't any problem, he smiled and played the point once again, and won it and the set. Classy behaviour :yeah: :)

Yeah it was classy considering the fact that the point and the set should have been ruled in his favor.

nkhera1

I think it may be more of an intimidation factor on clay just like Federer had for so many years with the guys of his age group. Plus Nadal was playing quite well in that tournament. He killed just about everybody including Federer. The Spaniards seem to give him better matches on hard courts and grass at least.

Xristos
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM

I see a tight first set then Rafa steamrolling the 2nd and 3rd.

FedFan_2007
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Verdasco played great, deserved winner. I'm amazed at how even keel he is. Takes the good with the bad and moves on. Hope he keeps believing, his chances against Nadal are small but not zero.

His chances against Nadal are 60%.

nkhera1
I'm a bit surprised Tsonga wasn't trying to play more all out agressive, but I think Verdasco deserves immense credit for not giving him the chance in many cases by hitting a heavy ball and moving him side to side. It's great to see him realize his potential. He has such a beautiful forehand and the backhand is pretty good as well. He seems to be developing more confidence in the serve to thus allowing him to use it to get him out of tight situations.

Clydey
Well Nando when he won that final in Umag that was very tight, he was quite consistent from there and the DC final, winning while playing poorly, has given him such a boost.

The talent has always been there, sometimes it comes through and other times it doesn't. Ferrer doesn't worship Nadal, but the match up really favours Nadal.

I actually see a lot of similarities. This may prove an unpopular view, but I would actually prefer Verdasco's forehand to Nadal's. It's just a much flatter, more penetrating stroke. There are definite similarites, but FV simply lacked the consistency.

ballbasher101
01-28-2009, 08:16 AM
What is it with the OZ open there is always someone who hits a hot streak. I hope Nadal does not reach the final, Federer has a good chance to make it 14 :dance:. If Nadal does not reach the final Simon and Verdasco are toast against the mighty Fed.

Erica86
01-28-2009, 08:16 AM

I just can't understand how some of you who follow tennis still think that it is only Nadal who plays tennis in Spain. Don't you still know that Spain won the Davis Cup final in Argentina and without Nadal?
You are talking about Spanish players bending over Nadal. Let me remind you that Nadal is at present number 1, and this means that at the meoment every player bends over him.

superslam77
01-28-2009, 08:17 AM
verdasco in the sf of all people :crying2:
goodbye it's over..give the trophy to rafa already..someone joked but it's true he will bend for sure if not he will break down. bye bye australia and mtf time to turn off tv for good :wavey:

nkhera1
01-28-2009, 08:17 AM
I actually see a lot of similarities. This may prove an unpopular view, but I would actually prefer Verdasco's forehand to Nadal's. It's just a much flatter, more penetrating stroke. There are definite similarites, but FV simply lacked the consistency.

On hard courts it can be the better shot especially because Nadal has a tendency to put too much spin, but I think Nadal's can be quite dangerous when he hits through it. Verdasco probably hits through it more on hard courts which is why I can see your point.

oz_boz
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Verdasco :hatoff:

On a side note, the last threat against Rafa was eliminated, IMO only an injury can prevent him from his first hc slam title now.

Månu
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I think the final stats reflects how cool Verdasco was. He won all his BPs while saving 11/13. That's where the match was won

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
On hard courts it can be the better shot especially because Nadal has a tendency to put too much spin, but I think Nadal's can be quite dangerous when he hits through it. Verdasco probably hits through it more on hard courts which is why I can see your point.

Certainly, Nadal's is better on clay. On hard, I would definitely take Verdasco's any day.

Action Jackson
01-28-2009, 08:22 AM

It doesn't matter what looks better, it's not a modelling contest. Verdasco has weapons and always has, but has never found the best way to use them, and working with Gil Reyes has helped him physically along with the other events that I mentioned before.

I just can't understand how some of you who follow tennis still think that it is only Nadal who plays tennis in Spain. Don't you still know that Spain won the Davis Cup final in Argentina and without Nadal?
You are talking about Spanish players bending over Nadal. Let me remind you that Nadal is at present number 1, and this means that at the meoment every player bends over him.

Stop being a fangirl. Look at the record between Nadal and Verdasco, you know very little about match ups. I have only mentioned the DC thing with Verdasco about 70 times.

Considering Ferrer doesn't do it and neither does Blake, therefore your last comment is irrelevant.

Caio_Brasil
01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Great from Verdasco, nice game plan. It's incredible how he has improved in so little time.

ORGASMATRON
01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Wow it does look like we have another surprise finalist, this is becoming insane!!!

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
It doesn't matter what looks better, it's not a modelling contest. Verdasco has weapons and always has, but has never found the best way to use them, and working with Gil Reyes has helped him physically along with the other events that I mentioned before.

What are you talking about? Who said anything about looking better?

FairWeatherFan
01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Tennis is the loser today.
Tsonga is one of the few rays of light in a moribund sport by playing classic aggressive tennis coupled with marked charisma and vitality. What is Verdasco going to bring to the sport with his cliched baseline game? The answer is nothing but a host of teenybopper fans and unstylistic tennis - the modern game's sterile status quo. Awful result for the true tennis fans...

ORGASMATRON
01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Verdasco :hatoff:

On a side note, the last threat against Rafa was eliminated, IMO only an injury can prevent him from his first hc slam title now.

Still very suprised that people are picking Rafa to win the open, its a good thing you said IMO. ;)

Tankman
01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Great match Nando :hatoff:

Loved the way he composed himself the whole match - even when he lost that 2nd set pretty meekly. Especially loved the way he exploded into that first set TB - getting that first set was IMHO obviously crucial to his victory. He held his nerve on his serve under pressure, and in the final service game where he really should have been feeling the most pressure, he just blasted through that :lol: :clap2:

I really hope he gives Rafa a good match. There's no way he can do what Tsonga did, but if he can remain mentally solid anything could happen.

ORGASMATRON
01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Tsonga is one of the few rays of light in a moribund sport by playing classic aggressive tennis coupled with marked charisma and vitality. What is Verdasco going to bring to the sport with his cliched baseline game? The answer is nothing but a host of teenybopper fans and unstylistic tennis - the modern game's sterile status quo. Awful result for the true tennis fans...

Wtf are you talking about my man?

holden
:clap2:

Action Jackson
What are you talking about? Who said anything about looking better?

As for Verdasco's forehand it's a better looking shot than Nadal's, but is it as effective, not that hard to work out Hamish.

Caio_Brasil
01-28-2009, 08:27 AM

So true, I found that very unusual too :yeah:

Ferrero Forever
No surprises here. Thanks for the vcash too:)

Clara Bow
The Spaniards seem to give him better matches on hard courts and grass at least.

I agree. His losses to his fellow countrymen have been on hard. And Nando gave Rafa a real scrap at Queen's in 2007. That's grass of course but he was not in any sort of awe of Rafa in that match.

Like others- I also thought Nando did a good job with his composure during the match.

I imagine it must have been frustrating for Tsonga that in a number of the break points- Nando broke out a big serve. Jo was playing further back than he sometimes does- but his opponent and fatigue may have been a part of that.

flexeter
01-28-2009, 08:28 AM
It just wasnt the Tsonganator as usual...

finishingmove
playing a fellow spaniard, verdasco should see his chance.

i don't know why people expect him to bend over when he's playing so well.

Henry Chinaski
I agree. His loses to his fellow countrymen have been on hard. And Nando gave Rafa a real scarp at Queen's in 2007. That's grass of course but he was not in any sort of awe of Rafa in that match.

hehe, that's the match he pissed Rafa off by faking injury all the way through.

trixtah
01-28-2009, 08:29 AM

....what?

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
As for Verdasco's forehand it's a better looking shot than Nadal's, but is it as effective, not that hard to work out Hamish.

I said that, in my opinion, it is more effective. I didn't say a thing about it looking better. I said that it's a flatter, more penetrating stroke. I don't think it's as effective as Nadal's on clay, but I think it's better on a hard court. You made it sound like I said that I preferred his forehand based on it being more aesthetically pleasing. That's where you lost me.

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I prefer Verdasco's forehand based on it being more aesthetically pleasing.

superslam77
01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
damnit tsonga :shrug: .... simon last resort :eek:

Clara Bow
01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
hehe, that's the match he pissed Rafa off by faking injury all the way through.

One thing that was really funny about that match was that Rafa was called for a time violation (he was exceeding the time) and accepted it but then asked why the chair didn't call one on Verdasco because Nando was taking an even longer time between points than Rafa. And it was true....:lol:

ORGASMATRON
01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
playing a fellow spaniard, verdasco should see his chance.

Cos people are :retard: :retard:

FedFan_2007
01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
damnit tsonga :shrug: .... simon last resort :eek:

I think Verdasco will have something to say about that... He's playing "rock solid" according to Federer. In fact Fed tipped Verdasco to "shock the world" very soon...

Action Jackson
01-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Great answer, but it's not like he can't hit big from both sides, just the consistency has been lacking.

Verdasco can do anything with the forehand, angles, power and heavy spin, we'll see how he handles it on Thursday.

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:34 AM

I always base my decisions on aesthetics. :shrug: Except for my tartan bedsheets. I chose those based on fierce patriotism.

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Great answer, but it's not like he can't hit big from both sides, just the consistency has been lacking.

Verdasco can do anything with the forehand, angles, power and heavy spin, we'll see how he handles it on Thursday.

Am I missing something? Somewhere along the line you've gotten the impression that I like Verdasco's forehand because it's pretty. :lol:

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
One thing that was really funny about that match was that Rafa was called for a time violation (he was exceeding the time) and accepted it but then asked why the chair didn't call one on Verdasco because Nando was taking an even longer time between points than Rafa. And it was true....:lol:

The thing I remember most were the pissed off glares from Nadal every time Verdasco did the limp...limp....limp....sprint....sprint...booming winner routine.

Action Jackson
01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Am I missing something? Somewhere along the line you've gotten the impression that I like Verdasco's forehand because it's pretty. :lol:

You're a Murray fan, you can't like stuff because it's pretty, except his dropshots.

Action Jackson
01-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Match up issue.

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:38 AM
You're a Murray fan, you can't like stuff because it's pretty, except his dropshots.

Murray is pretty enough. Even with a face riddled with cold sores. :hearts:

FedererBulgaria
01-28-2009, 08:38 AM
This guy is on fire:worship:

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 08:39 AM
I always base my decisions on aesthetics. :shrug: Except for my tartan bedsheets. I chose those based on fierce patriotism.

That's strange, I choose my tartan bedsheets based on aesthetics.

But I will argue that they're due to the fact that I'm quarter Murray (my Dad's mum's side) if or when he wins his first slam.

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:41 AM
That's strange, I choose my tartan bedsheets based on aesthetics.

But I will argue that they're due to the fact that I'm quarter Murray (my Dad's mum's side) if or when he wins his first slam.

Therefore, I'm obliged to worship you and defend you incessantly, no matter what people say about you.

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 08:45 AM
does this mean people will start randomly bringing me up when you make a point on a completely unrelated topic?

Clydey
01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
does this mean people will start randomly bringing me up when you make a point on a completely unrelated topic?

One can only hope this is the case.

aeronatasha
01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Clutch from Verdasco.

The wonders never seize. :eek:

superslam77
01-28-2009, 08:51 AM
I think Verdasco will have something to say about that... He's playing "rock solid" according to Federer. In fact Fed tipped Verdasco to "shock the world" very soon...

fed really know his shit :worship:
i could never tell the potential from such a cheesy looking mug :D(but if he becomes a roaster then he is in da club :cool: )

Action Jackson
01-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Clutch from Verdasco.

The wonders never seize. :eek:

Done it more than once in this event as well.

l_mac
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
:rolleyes:

Nando was 0-5 against Murray too, and didn't roll over for him.

Of course no doubt that Verdasco playing his best >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rafa :worship:

I am so shocked about today's result :eek: Happy, because I really like Nando and am niot that keen on JWT, but surprised.

TheBoiledEgg
01-28-2009, 09:01 AM
we have the 2009 version of Rainer Shittler

Carlita
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
:worship::worship::worship: OMG I still can't believe it! :woohoo: :banana: :bounce:

Fer :worship: :kiss: we always knew..... ;)

:smoke: HAH!!!! :nerner:

JolánGagó
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
:woohoo:

Expected and deserved win for Nando, Clownga the alleged candidate to Big4 (:haha:) has nothing against a Verdasco on fire.

Vamos Nando! :yeah:

Horatio Caine
01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Fer! :eek: :worship:

Clydey
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Tsonga drops down to 14th now?

MarieC
01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Verdasco is on fire! Great to see this play coming from him.

Andi-M
01-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Nando :eek: Well done! Muz was no fluke baby got GAME! :D

Tsonga :baby: No worries. Decent tourny!

Jimnik
01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
:eek: Nando, is that you?

Unbelievable. The transformation since the Davis Cup final.

I can't believe he use to be world #1 choker. With confidence this guy can do anything. Can't wait to see where this leads. Could be a very good season, he can play on all surfaces.

reggie1
01-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Congrats to Nando's fans. He is playing so well right now and has real self belief.
Jo :sad::sad::sad:

SwiSha
01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
good one Fer

HeretiC
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
he can play on all surfaces.

Indeed he can, spot on. :yeah:

Jōris
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Ana is cutting Nando's name into her arm right now.

tennizen
01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I had a feeling this was going to happen and am glad it did.

And I think Verdasco will beat Rafa in the semi. He has too many things going right for him at the moment for that not to happen

shotgun
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Expected one. People need to cool down a bit about Tsonga, he's a good player but let's stop putting him ahead of others who have already achieved much more.

Don't think Verdasco will bend over for Nadal, he has a different mentality these days. And he has the firepower to take him out, so a surprise is not totally out of question.

oranges
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
:sobbing:

You'd better show up against Nadal now Nando :mad:

ToniTennis
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Please, not this :bs: again. The Spaniards respect Rafa a lot, yes, just as Rafa respects them. They form a very solid Davis Cup team and that shows up on court.

If you remember Almagro last year, may I remember you that every other player Nadal faced at RG bent over for him, then? Yup, even Roger, who took just one more game from Rafa than Almagro did.

groundstroke
01-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Great win for Verdacso, Tsonga needs a plan B when things aren't working for him.

knight_ley
01-28-2009, 02:24 PM
omg Nando!! :eek: I dvr'ed this match cuz I kept falling asleep during the first set and I'm so happy I did! :woohoo:

These are two awesome semifinals imo. :aparty:

Eliande
01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you again, Fernando!:worship::)

rhinooooo
01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Well done Nando.

Only managed to catch the last two sets, and a bit of the Murray match. He used to always have high serving percentages, but he often used to spin the serve in alot. He's had incredible serving percentages in both those matches and from what I saw and heard, he was finally serving huge. That makes a big difference.

He was a double fault machine for alot of last year. Hopefully he can remain confident.

Vamos Nando. Good luck to him.

Arkulari
01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
VAMOS NANDOOOO!!! :rocker2:
my dream come true, an all spanish SF in Melbourne :drool:

rofe
01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
What surprised me most is how controlled his shots when he took flat balls from Tsonga on the rise. His superior fitness and movement seems to have done wonders to his confidence.

Sommarsverige
01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
I only saw the end of the 1st set, but I am soooooooooooooo happy and still can´t believe it that Fer reached GS semifinal :bounce: :yippee: :banana: :bounce: :yippee:

Good luck against Rafa :yeah:

Gonzalez88
01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Super Nando!!

TMJordan
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
:(

ChinoRios4Ever
01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
All the respect for Verdasco now, finally a final four in a GS :worship:

Vida
01-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Not a big fan of Verdasco, but always a pleasure to see not-top player playing consistent tennis with authority. That yanking job he did on (slightly fatiquet) Tsonga was very very impressive. Not a sigh of a choke from Nando, congrats man :yeah: I'd wish him to push more from the backhand however, it is a relative liability on attack.

Glad about Tsonga. I feel he's done all he could and thats most important.

Scotso
01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
:rocker2:

RedFury
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Well, the "usually" adverb was there for a reason... I didn't say they always bend over did I?

It's flawed logic anyway. Point being Nadal doesn't lose much against players from any country. The fact that his record VS his countryman stands out more is only for the obvious reason that he played against them with a higher frequency. And I type "played" because, as we all know, Nadal made his climb up the rankings mostly due to his clay-court play, where it was quite likely he'd run into other Spaniards and/or Argentinians and beat them -- just like he did everyone else. Now that he is playing more hard-court tourneys and might no longer play Barcelona, the frequency might decrease. OTOH, as more and more Spanish players become all-court threats, his encounters against same might increase on said surface. But again, he's also gotten much better on that surface as well thus the results might not change much...for now.

In any event, if you'd like to corroborate my point, you may want to look-up his H2H clay-court record versus players from any nation. I think you'll find they fare no better. Or, as many of you elegant MTF posters like to put it, you might as well append your mantra to say: everyone "bends over for Nadal." And it seems to me, if we go by his Queens and Wimbledon titles plus his 46-10 HC record from last year, it's starting to happen on all surfaces...

Methinks that might have something to do with his being the world's number one player and all; then again, reason and logic are highly overrated instruments when fighting emotional biases.

Cheers.

connectolove
01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Super Congrats to Super Nando! he is playing so amazingly these days, I hope that it lasts.

roberthenman
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
verdasco :worship:

KarlyM
01-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Good job Verdasco! :) Don't tank the next one! :p

I can't believe Tsonga is out of the top 10 with this loss, but he can make up ground during the time he was out last year.

Experimentee
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Really disappointed with this result, not just because I like Jo, also because he would have provided a more exciting matchup with Nadal. I am pretty sure Verdasco will now bend over for Rafa and the semi will be disappointing. :sad:

Corey Feldman
01-29-2009, 03:09 AM
time to put on the pink dress Nando

those fantastic FH's he's been playing v Murray and Tsonga will start flying into row Z

Tennisman82
01-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Great match by Verdasco! I hope he carries this form for the rest of the year, just to make tennis even more interesting than it already is.

Tennisman82.