Australian Open Biased? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australian Open Biased?

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 04:22 AM
I don't understand how Serena gets to have roofs closed for her and Novak doesn't. Serena was losing before they closed the roofs. I just don't understand why men always get the worst possible scheduling and women who play less than men (2 out of 3 sets) and earn the same amount get everything they want? Is this fair?

*Full Disclosure: I don't mean to be sexist here. I am just stating the facts. Women deserve to get paid equally but shouldn't men be treated the same way as women?

Quadruple Tree
01-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Women deserve to be paid equally when they play best of five sets. Until then, they deserve 3/5ths of the pay.

TMJordan
01-28-2009, 04:23 AM
The men should be playing indoors right now and Serena should be playing in the parking lot.

Kolya
01-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Yep.

Snoo Foo
01-28-2009, 04:25 AM
It's not because she is a woman but because she is from the U.S.

MIMIC
01-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Today when they closed the roof: 136 F on court
Yesterday during the Roddick-Djokovic match: 141 F on court.

If this doesn't scream bias/incompetence, I don't know what does.

Serena was playing like shit before they closed the roof, just like Novak. Now she's a completely different player. Had they closed the roof, I'm sure that the scoreline would have been a little different.

Bascule
01-28-2009, 04:28 AM
And she's saving the grace of the rest of the world, if she loses, there will be 4 Russians in SF.:lol:
She gets the best possible treatment to save the mission.;)

tennizen
01-28-2009, 04:28 AM
I thought Serena is a man:confused:

MrChopin
01-28-2009, 04:31 AM

Serena was playing like shit before they closed the roof, just like Novak. Now she's a completely different player. Had they closed the roof, I'm sure that the scoreline would have been a little different.

If closing the roof would have resulted in Djokovic playing better, then what was the injury timeout for?

orangehat
01-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Yea, I have to agree on this one.

Snoo Foo
U.S. tv viewers will lose interest if there are no U.S. players in the semis, everything possible must be done to protect the networks' investment by making sure Serena and Roddick advance.

MIMIC
I love Serena but I'm pissed that she's getting preferential treatment.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 04:33 AM
I think it's disgusting. Tennis has become a sexist sport. Men can't say anything because any complain and you are sexist. Women on the other hand can ask for equal money and all scheduling stuff. I don't like it one bit. Now Serena may have won in the Sun too but I would have liked to see her be treated the same way as Novak. Novak asked for night match and he was denied. Serena didn't even have to ask for it...

MIMIC
01-28-2009, 04:33 AM
If closing the roof would have resulted in Djokovic playing better, then what was the injury timeout for?

Because he was hot? Is this a trick question? :confused:

TMJordan
01-28-2009, 04:34 AM

He clearly had an injury to his back...or was it leg? or arm?

ahhhh lets just call it a brain injury.

Kolya
01-28-2009, 04:35 AM
For his anthrax injury :p

Bascule
01-28-2009, 04:37 AM
Because he was hot? Is this a trick question? :confused:

It was a trick question, since it's not logical. Beautiful Mind of Mr. Chopin.;)

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 04:37 AM
This is not about Novak but the continuous bias in tennis towards men. They play more. The earn the same as women and they get the worst of scheduling often playing till 4 AM in the morning. And now they even close roofs for them.

Bascule
01-28-2009, 04:38 AM
He clearly had an injury to his back...or was it leg? or arm?

ahhhh lets just call it a brain injury.

Well, on the heat like that I usually have a brain injury too.:lol:

Bascule
01-28-2009, 04:40 AM
This is not about Novak but the continuous bias in tennis towards men. They play more. The earn the same as women and they get the worst of scheduling often playing till 4 AM in the morning. And now they even close roofs for them.

Gentlemen, take it easy.:angel:

I thought men earn more...silly me.:silly:

~Maya~
01-28-2009, 04:41 AM
I don't think they are biased. lol They are just not proactive :shrug:
But there are still players playing without the roof because they don't have one, so I have no issues with the roof not being closed

Bascule
01-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Serena is saved.:worship:

HNCS
01-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Aside from court level temperature. Yesterday, in melbourne the general temp was 35 degrees C. HOwever from today onwards, for about 5 days, it's all 40 degrees C upwards.

It's quite big news in Australia right now, the extreme heat wave. So i guess the organises are only responding to the general temperature of Melbourne instead of court temps.

OR they are trying to fix up their mistake from yesterday.

Either way they're bad at decisions... Though I would be expecting quite a few roof closes in the next few days.

BalkanBoy
01-28-2009, 04:45 AM
This AO is becoming a joke.

TMJordan
01-28-2009, 04:46 AM
This AO is becoming a joke.

If you can't handle the heat don't come.

orangehat
01-28-2009, 04:48 AM
If you can't handle the heat don't come.

Agreed.

NinaNina19
01-28-2009, 04:48 AM
U.S. tv viewers will lose interest if there are no U.S. players in the semis, everything possible must be done to protect the networks' investment by making sure Serena and Roddick advance.

I honestly believe this. Why else would Djokovic-Roddick not be a night match over federer-Del Potro?

NinaNina19
01-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Serena is saved.:worship:

And so is my money :worship:.

Xristos
01-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Women deserve to be paid equally when they play best of five sets. Until then, they deserve 3/5ths of the pay.

Exactly Sir.

redda2
01-28-2009, 04:50 AM
You guys are wrong.

Yesterday was 30C - 35C.
Today is 35C - 40C.

So today was much hotter than yesterday.

El Legenda
01-28-2009, 04:51 AM

do you really want to see women play a best of 5...i dont....pay them the same just not to play 5 sets...

TMJordan
01-28-2009, 04:52 AM
They can be payed the same as long as they just play one tiebreaker to decide all the matches. I think it's a fair rule we can all agree with.

NinaNina19
01-28-2009, 04:52 AM

Keep whining and you'll get this.

MacTheKnife
01-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Yep, close the roof so fat ass Shamu can get her self out of trouble. Unreal. Hopefully Dementieva will stomp her ass again.

Ferrero Forever
01-28-2009, 04:56 AM
I can't understand it either. When I was there last Tuesday it got past 41 degrees in Melbourne as a whole, and they didn't bring in the extreme heat rule at all. They didn't do it for Djokovic yesterday which sucked because he really needed it, he looked really sickly throughout the match. Today is hotter in Melbourne than yesterday though, so I'm glad they did do it for Serena, but they should have done it yesterday and last Tuesday too. I don't get what the Aus Open is doing this year, the scheduling would be awful if you have a Rod Laver ticket, they put Dokic against some other useless player on the same court, while the womens number 1 plays on Hisense. If I paid that sort of money, I would want quality names. I just don't understand what they've done this year

superslam77
01-28-2009, 05:05 AM
really unfair and disgusting...and all this for that arrogant ugly fatass!

i can't believe they pay them the same, they can barely complete 3 sets alive.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
They're saying on ESPN that it's significantly hotter today than yesterday. Where's the bias? :shrug:

orangehat
01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Sometimes I Wonder why they don't always close the roof really. I suppose the aussie crowd loves the sun.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 05:10 AM
They're saying on ESPN that it's significantly hotter today than yesterday. Where's the bias? :shrug:

They say it's hotter today but that thermo was showing 63 C yesterday and today it was only 59. I don't know. ESPN is biased too! Let's not forget that they only care about Americans. When was the last time Roger finished the sportsman of the year? How about his matches against Venus or Serena's matches? ESPN likes ladies.

superslam77
i don't like conspiracy theories but i think the sport is corrupted..could it be that they help certain players on purpose or could the sport of tennis really be acting?

Tankman
Sometimes I Wonder why they don't always close the roof really. I suppose the aussie crowd loves the sun.

You're kidding right? No way. Just because we live in one of the most infernally hot places in the world doesn't mean we love getting roasted on baking plastic seats in 40 degrees+ :help:

Chip_s_m
01-28-2009, 05:11 AM

ESPN is an American network and is therefore part of the conspiracy. They're making that stat up to disprove any allegations of bias. :p

In all seriousness, though, it would be nice if they made it clear at what temperature (or other objective measure) they close the roof. That would eliminate any allegations/complaints.

nkhera1
01-28-2009, 05:12 AM
I think they should have closed the roof yesterday, and I'm surprised they didn't, but you have to understand that Roddick and Djokovic were playing under the same conditions. Even today, both players are playing under the same conditions in either way.

I don't think it's biased, but it was supposed to be a bit hotter today, and I think they have learned from their mistake.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 05:18 AM
I think they should have closed the roof yesterday, and I'm surprised they didn't, but you have to understand that Roddick and Djokovic were playing under the same conditions. Even today, both players are playing under the same conditions in either way.

I don't think it's biased, but it was supposed to be a bit hotter today, and I think they have learned from their mistake.

And they are saying that tomorrow will be hotter but the roof will be opened for Roddick Federer match. Another push for Roddick? We all know the courts get faster with the heat.

meihaditalab
01-28-2009, 05:18 AM
This is true, but they never closed the roof for Navaro and you could obviously see that she couldn't handle the heat, and the temperature is hotter today then it was yesterday. But yeah i don't really find that fair for the other players...

kalisita
01-28-2009, 05:19 AM
They say it's hotter today but that thermo was showing 63 C yesterday and today it was only 59. I don't know. ESPN is biased too! Let's not forget that they only care about Americans. When was the last time Roger finished the sportsman of the year? How about his matches against Venus or Serena's matches? ESPN likes ladies.

I think the general temp was hotter today than yesterday, but maybe on-court temp was worse yesterday than today. :shrug: Dementieva was complaining after her match that the roof wasn't closed when she played. She said they won't close it until 40C and it was only 39C, but it was 45C on court. Why wouldn't it be the temp on court that counts? It seems like the policy is a little confusing.

xargon
01-28-2009, 05:19 AM
First of all yesterday Brad Gilbert said before the match that Roddick was lobbying to keep the roof open. The very last moment that Novak retired the temp clock was 142 degrees.

Today Kuzzy was winning and they decided to close the roof to help Serena along. When they closed it, the temp was 136. One announcer then said, Djokovic will probably complain about the roof closing for the Serena match. Shriver and Carillo chime in…”it was much hotter today.” Different day, different standard for the Americans, eh?

nkhera1
01-28-2009, 05:20 AM
And they are saying that tomorrow will be hotter but the roof will be opened for Roddick Federer match. Another push for Roddick? We all know the courts get faster with the heat.

I don't think they are playing again till Friday. Even if they do play tomorrow it will surely be a night match.

Ferrero Forever
01-28-2009, 05:20 AM
I suppose the aussie crowd loves the sun.

Yes, of course. Nothing I'd rather do than get sunburned and get heatstroke by sitting in the sun.

Peta Pan
01-28-2009, 05:34 AM
The crowd apparently let out a big cheer when they announced they were closing the roof. Nothing worse than sitting there baking in 40 degree heat. I was stuck in the first aid tent for a few hours last year after fainting in such conditions.

Yesterday's temperate was 35/37 but today is 43 degrees and it's going to be the same tomorrow.

I read somewhere today that the heat policy is supposed to also include the humidity reading which is maybe why it wasn't brought into play last Tuesday. Today they have decided to close it anyway because the heat is just so extreme.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2009, 05:35 AM
the actual air temp today is hotter. That's obviously what they focus on. Perhaps there are other things at play such as humidity, wind, etc that factor into the decision. To just declare that there is a conspiracy or bias without any real proof is unfair and pointless.

cyrusking, do you even think or do any modicum of research at all before you post (well, clearly you don't, but....)? The mens semis are both at night, so it's a complete non-issue. Try again, though :zzz:
Yesterday's temperate was 35/37 but today is 43 degrees and it's going to be the same tomorrow.

I read somewhere today that the heat policy is supposed to also include the humidity reading which is maybe why it wasn't brought into play last Tuesday. Today they have decided to close it anyway because the heat is just so extreme.Thanks, that's what I'd assumed. Yesterday they kept saying how dry it was.

GlennMirnyi
01-28-2009, 05:43 AM
It's called wet bulb temperature, folks.

gasguet#1
01-28-2009, 05:51 AM
All these comments about the roof on Rod Laver not closed for yesterdays match between Roddick v Djokovic is quiet funny considering many making the comments haven't done the homework in yesterdays conditions in Melbourne

Fact one..... Melbourne had a bit of a weak change in the weather..... & the temp dropped by about 8 degrees by time the mens match had started, a lot cooler then when Zvonareva v Bartoli as mentioned by Todd Woodbridge in his courtside comments during the match

Fact two... During the match... The weather in Melbourne was between 29-34 degrees

Fact three..... The heat rule does not come into play unless the temp reaches over 35 cel & also the humity is taken into consideration when TA officials make the decision to close the roof

Fact four.... The Aust Open is an outdoor Grandslam event, with the option to close the roof when Rain normally stops play, or extreme heat.....

I have watched the Tennis on RLA with the roof closed, & it changes the whole match & Its like sitting in a sauna!

I think the current rules on the ATP & WTA are such a joke with regard to medical time outs.... & action needs to be taken to stop the complete joke of these rules by some players

IMHO.... Yesterday Djokovic wasn't effected by any heat & lack of action regarding the closure of the roof on RLA

He was maybe feeling unwell before walking out to play Roddick, which didn't have anything to do with extreme playing conditions, Anyone who is blaming the conditions in why Djokovic had to retire..... Get in the real world

Till tennis officials make a stand on what is acceptable on this rule..... It's making a joke of our game

Players are getting massages on legs for cramping, which is more then possible the other player wearing them down, & they are not handling the playing conditions

It's a ploy used by many to change the momentum of a match, have a break to recharge & it's getting so abused by players as there isnt a ruling what is considered to be a condition that they go into a match with or what is lack of preperation or condition that they are suffering from

Azarenka was a prime example of this rule used in the way it should be used,

Many times a pretty dodgy medical time out as a ploy is changing the way a match is looking like going & it's all in the rules of the ATP & WTA

What about players who are not given the opportunity to play on RLA or Hisense Arena in conditions like last Tuesday, least when your playing on one of the two main showcourts the players can get a little bit of relief from the sun with the roof on these arena's at the end of a point, When your playing on Showcourt 2 or 3 or Margaret Court Arena, players don't get any protection from the sun at all, or the smaller outside courts

Till the ATP & WTA get some balls & decide what is OK with this rule, It's no more then a form of players cheating & using the rules at present to gain a advantage when it suits them

So everyone jumping up & down about Djokovic in the conditions.... & he was treated unfairly..... IMHO he did pretty well with yet another match on a big showcourt & it's a easy excuse they are looking for in why his form has gone from 2008

So till the rules are changed.... This is going to keep going on week after week on both tours

Lourdes
01-28-2009, 06:39 AM
For a male tennis site there sure are a lot of whiny bitches here.

Forehander
01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
They're trained to withstand these situations. So they should just deal with it and stop whinging about it.

Cat9
01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I don't understand how Serena gets to have roofs closed for her and Novak doesn't. Today when they closed the roof: 136 F on court

Easy explanation-it was much hotter today than yesterday. And, it wasn't 140 degrees on court yesteday, people. For god's sake, if it was, they would have closed the roof and stopped all the outdoor matches. They didn't. That should be your first clue. People are getting that ridiculous 60 degrees reading from one place-that oncourt thermometer which isn't accurate, obviously. Any doubts about it? That wonky thermo read 60+ degrees during the Tsonga/Verdasco match well after they had closed the roof and turned the air conditioner on. It wasn't 140 on court yesterday. Let it go.

Cat9
01-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Oh for christ's sake, it's a night match, genius.

Henry Chinaski
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
what Glenn said.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature)

Snoo Foo
01-28-2009, 08:37 AM
what the hell kinda crazy mumbo jumbo is that? ESPN made that up to keep people from figuring out their top secret roof-closing system.

nobama
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
They say it's hotter today but that thermo was showing 63 C yesterday and today it was only 59. I don't know. ESPN is biased too! Let's not forget that they only care about Americans. When was the last time Roger finished the sportsman of the year? How about his matches against Venus or Serena's matches? ESPN likes ladies.63C? Were they claiming that was the on court temperature? No way was the actual air temperature 63C. Today is hotter than yesterday was and it's 43C. I'm no Roddick fan but I don't think their decision to keep the roof open was to ensure he advanced to the SF. I didn't see the match. At any point during the match did Djerk request for the heat rule to be put in place or for the roof to be closed? Did anyone on the outside courts have to retire because of the heat?

ORGASMATRON
01-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I totally agree. If women want to be paid the same as man they should be treated the same, in fact they should play best out of 5 as well. Just make sure they dont get any more tv time because of it :devil:

nobama
01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Easy explanation-it was much hotter today than yesterday. And, it wasn't 140 degrees on court yesteday, people. For god's sake, if it was, they would have closed the roof and stopped all the outdoor matches. They didn't. That should be your first clue. People are getting that ridiculous 60 degrees reading from one place-that oncourt thermometer which isn't accurate, obviously. Any doubts about it? That wonky thermo read 60+ degrees during the Tsonga/Verdasco match well after they had closed the roof and turned the air conditioner on. It wasn't 140 on court yesterday. Let it go.I can't believe people actually believe these numbers floating around. :lol:

Cat9
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I can't believe people actually believe these numbers floating around.

I know, I know. It's absurd. Obviously, these people don't know heat. That mixed with Novaklove delusions and Roddickhate delusions, and you've got people repeating the 140 degree nonsense as fact. Some were even saying 160! I'm from Arizona. Yuma, Arizona-no stranger to extreme heat. Just so people get it..at 140 degrees, not only would the players be completely incapacitated, so would the linesman and umps, the ballkids and most of the audience.

miura
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Andy managed to play in the heat? Why shouldn't Novak? Cry-baby in my eyes.

Kolya
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I totally agree. If women want to be paid the same as man they should be treated the same, in fact they should play best out of 5 as well. Just make sure they dont get any more tv time because of it :devil:

Mate, 5 sets of women tennis would be death.

The up and downs :help:

Cat9
01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

lol

Bilbo
01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I love Serena but I'm pissed that she's getting preferential treatment.

americans get special treatments because australia is one of their allies. tennis is still more political than many might think. they also gave roddick a special treatment with the roof not being closed.

yanchr
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not defending anybody or anything, but the fact is, today is much much...much hotter than yesterday. I was in Melbourne Park both days. Yesterday was very ok. People sat in the sun watching the matches. Today.....it was almost empty outside. If you stand in the sun, your skin feels burned within a second. The heat is EXTREME. Yesterday was actually not as bad as it was expected.

MIMIC
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not defending anybody or anything, but the fact is, today is much much...much hotter than yesterday. I was in Melbourne Park both days. Yesterday was very ok. People sat in the sun watching the matches. Today.....it was almost empty outside. If you stand in the sun, your skin feels burned within a second. The heat is EXTREME. Yesterday was actually not as bad as it was expected.

It's 91 F now and the roof is still closed in the Nadal-Simon match. It got as hot as 98 F during the Roddick-Djokovic match.

yanchr
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
We are talking about the day match. They could've opened the roof for the night match now, but they didn't. You've got to ask the organizers why. I'm just stating the fact that today was much hotter. If you are not in Melbourne, you don't have a clue how hot it was today. The figure doesn't tell you that much.

mickymouse
01-28-2009, 10:53 AM

The up and downs :help:

So true. The combined UEs may hit 3 digits.:lol:

Cat9
01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
You've got to ask the organizers why.

Because it was 108 degrees when the match started.

MIMIC
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Because it was 108 degrees when the match started.

And?

nobama
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
We are talking about the day match. They could've opened the roof for the night match now, but they didn't. You've got to ask the organizers why. I'm just stating the fact that today was much hotter. If you are not in Melbourne, you don't have a clue how hot it was today. The figure doesn't tell you that much.Word.

Cat9
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
And?

What part aren't you getting?

Minerva
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Will Mr.Federer, the school principal, also have a say in this? :angel:

nobama
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I know, I know. It's absurd. Obviously, these people don't know heat. That mixed with Novaklove delusions and Roddickhate delusions, and you've got people repeating the 140 degree nonsense as fact. Some were even saying 160! I'm from Arizona. Yuma, Arizona-no stranger to extreme heat. Just so people get it..at 140 degrees, not only would the players be completely incapacitated, so would the linesman and umps, the ballkids and most of the audience.Yeah. I mean seriously, no one would be on court or in the stands if it felt like 140F.

MIMIC
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
What part aren't you getting?

The part where the starting match temperature has anything to do with it being considerably cooler as the match progressed.

Cat9
01-28-2009, 12:00 PM
My comment was in response to people wondering why the match was played with the roof closed. Try to keep up. Now, as for why they kept it closed..well, gee, probably because they didn't want to interrupt the match after an hour of play, to wait the 20 minutes for it to be opened. Obviously, when the temps are extreme, they'll hold up play for the sake of the players well being.

SheepleBuster
01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
It's disgusting. Serena got a big break today. She got time to recollect herself. I wonder if we will see a Serena - Roddick rematch since that's all ESPN talks about. I'd pay to see that...

nobama
01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
My comment was in response to people wondering why the match was played with the roof closed. Try to keep up. Now, as for why they kept it closed..well, gee, probably because they didn't want to interrupt the match after an hour of play, to wait the 20 minutes for it to be opened. Obviously, when the temps are extreme, they'll hold up play for the sake of the players well being.I checked accuweather.com around the start of Nadal's match and it showed a temp of 108F. So was it that much cooler? Accuweather's forceast for Thursday is 104F, with the temp still being around 98F at 8pm.

ASP0315
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
i agree with TMJordan that serena should be playing in a parking lot not on rod laver. ;)

ESPN is biased network. and it is also probably the worst tennis broadcasting network.(they should focus on basketball, NFL and other crap and leave tennis to TTC. they are so better to listen than these morons.)

opeth84
01-28-2009, 02:09 PM
If only the skeptics were in Melbourne the last 2 days they would surely have realized the difference. Forecasts and temp conversions are wrong very often i wouldn't be taking espn comments to heart now. The thread starter is a Duck hater we know . Im not his biggest fan either but he was able to cope with the heat and Nole couldn't, it was a disapointment for me but not all that unexpected but just get over it.

redda2
01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
The official policy is the roof is closed when the "wet bulb globe temperature" exceeds 28C.

WBGT = humidity + solar radiation + air temperature.

And as someone living in Melbourne, today (28th) was much hotter than yesterday (27th).

*bunny*
01-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Just for you guys' information:
Apparently, under the new heat policy, they close the roof of RLA and Hisense Arena and suspend matches on outside courts at AO when the temperature is above 36 degrees C (97F) AND when WBGT (wet bulb globe temperature) is above 28, according to what the commentators were saying during the AO coverage in Japan today.
WBGT is an index to estimate the combined effect of temperature, humidity, wind speed and solar radiation on people.
I don't know exactly how high the temeprature was yesterday at RLA, but even if it was above 36 C, maybe the conditions didn't meet this second criteria. :shrug:

nobama
01-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Actually I think Rod Laver has it right. He says they should close the roof for the remainder of the tournament. Every day is supposed to be between 95-100F.

LleytonMonfils
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Actually I think Rod Laver has it right. He says they should close the roof for the remainder of the tournament. Every day is supposed to be between 95-100F.

I don't mind that but make up your damn mind. Either everyone plays with it closed or everyone plays with it open. Leaving it open for Dementieve Navarro, then closing it after Serena lost the first set was wrong! Anyone who agrees with closing it during that match is a Serena fan or an idiot. Complete and utter bullshit what happened yesterday. I was hoping so bad that I actually had a job on that ESPN crew because I would've been the only one to call them out on it. Even Cahill kept his mouth shut and he likes seeing players play through the elements.

Like I said decide to keep it open or closed before the first match starts. Close IMO is still lame. This is a Grand Slam for christ sake, 1 of the 4 biggest tournaments in the game of tennis, full of the best athletes around the world. Frankly if your body isn't ready to live up to the conditions presented then you don't deserve the title. Plain and simple.

nobama
01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't mind that but make up your damn mind. Either everyone plays with it closed or everyone plays with it open. Leaving it open for Dementieve Navarro, then closing it after Serena lost the first set was wrong! Anyone who agrees with closing it during that match is a Serena fan or an idiot. Complete and utter bullshit what happened yesterday. I was hoping so bad that I actually had a job on that ESPN crew because I would've been the only one to call them out on it. Even Cahill kept his mouth shut and he likes seeing players play through the elements.

Like I said decide to keep it open or closed before the first match starts. Close IMO is still lame. This is a Grand Slam for christ sake, 1 of the 4 biggest tournaments in the game of tennis, full of the best athletes around the world. Frankly if your body isn't ready to live up to the conditions presented then you don't deserve the title. Plain and simple.I'm just saying this because people keep bitching about it. We know it's going to be very hot for the next few days so just close the roof and then it's fair for everyone. I agree though it shouldn't be closed mid-match, except if it starts raining.

Matt01
01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I only read the first 2 pages of this thread but some of the sexist comments were already disguting :rolleyes:

That said, I don't agree with the way the organisers handled the "roof-affair", either.

Kip
01-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I swear, the stupidity of some people here! How on earth do you bash Serena/women for the roof being closed? Last time I checked, it was not in their power to have it closed! The roof should have been clossed for the Nole match, but it wasn't. Take it up with the TD and stop acting idiotic and blaming the women! :rolleyes:

MrChopin
01-28-2009, 09:36 PM

First it was Wimbledon '07 incessant rain. Then it was USO '08 afternoon rain. Now Weatherer strikes again: AO will be an indoor slam, and of course that favors...

LleytonMonfils
01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
I swear, the stupidity of some people here! How on earth do you bash Serena/women for the roof being closed? Last time I checked, it was not in their power to have it closed! The roof should have been clossed for the Nole match, but it wasn't. Take it up with the TD and stop acting idiotic and blaming the women! :rolleyes:

If it was Azarenka vs Kuznetsova... they never would've considered closing the roof. They knew the weather report days before. Just something about it smells completely fishy to me.

karadjordje
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I honestly believe this. Why else would Djokovic-Roddick not be a night match over federer-Del Potro?

Agree, why Federer plays all his matches at night ?:eek:

Waterfox
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
cuz shes a 3 time
odd year champion
and she gives the best
show every odd year??

and
they just love seeing her
save mps in the semi finals

Bad Religion
01-28-2009, 11:07 PM
They are helping out one of the Gorilliams Sisters, never in doubt

Sveta had the match in total control as she is well known by her good perfomances under infernal heats

Fucking organizers , bunch of idiots of the highest order

dumdidum
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Apparently the max temperature on Sunday is forecasted to be just 31 degrees C...so the roof will be open for the mens single final right? Or would that be the case anyway because its a night match?

Experimentee
01-29-2009, 02:37 AM

I am not sure where you get that information from but it's completely wrong.

Yesterday when Serena played was much hotter than the day before when Djokovic played. It was about 42C yesterday compared to about 36C on Tuesday.

They usually close the roof when the temperature exceeds 40, and it exceeded this for the first time in two weeks during the first set of Serena vs Kuznetsova. So of course this was when the decision was made to close the roof.

Experimentee
01-29-2009, 02:40 AM
As someone who lives in Melbourne, I can tell you the forecasted temperature is often incorrect. On Tuesday it was forecasted to reach 40 but only reached about 36.

Last week during the quallies they said it would reach 39 on one day but never came close to it.

The organisers would be wrong to close the roof just based on forecasts.

Experimentee
01-29-2009, 02:47 AM
For all the Americans who are acting like they know the weather in Melbourne better than we do based on info from presumably American websites, please check out this for all future weather information. It is the most accurate:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60900.shtml

Kolya
01-29-2009, 08:41 AM
I just want player to play till the death :P

To solve this discussion, the AO should just be an INDOOR Grand Slam...

Leopold Stotch
01-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Agree, why Federer plays all his matches at night ?:eek:
I don't believe we've seen a reigning champion ever being treated so poorly by the organizers as Novak was by the Australians. The tennis governing body has a disproportionate number of Anglo-Americans therefore the behavior of the organizers is hardly surprising. It's not a great big conspiracy but there is clear favouritism towards certain players of certain nationalities. Until Russia and China step up and demand more representation at the highest level this will continue.

Kolya
01-29-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't believe we've seen a reigning champion ever being treated so poorly by the organizers as Novak was by the Australians. The tennis governing body has a disproportionate number of Anglo-Americans therefore the behavior of the organizers is hardly surprising. It's not a great big conspiracy but there is clear favouritism towards certain players of certain nationalities. Until Russia and China step up and demand more representation at the highest level this will continue.

The AO organisers treat Davydenko worst than anyone.

kobulingam
01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Federer played two day matches, you idiots.

SushiMinimal
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM

hell trueˇˇˇ