AO QF - Roddick def Djokovic 6-7 6-4 6-2 2-1 ret [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO QF - Roddick def Djokovic 6-7 6-4 6-2 2-1 ret

Pages : [1] 2

freelong
01-27-2009, 05:42 AM
7:6(3),4:6,2:6,1:2
retired.

FedFan_2007
01-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Quitter.

*Ljubica*
01-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Let the hating and bitching commence :rolleyes:

Novak :hug:

Good luck for the rest of the tournament Andy, and congrats to Andy's fans.

Skyward
01-27-2009, 05:56 AM
What a Spartan :worship::worship::worship:

wildegirl05
appalling, i thought. can't wait for the presser to see if he was actually down with something like the flu or if it was just plain lack of conditioning like gilbert speculated.

philosophicalarf
Wow, he's going to get hammered here tomorrow.

And utterly deservedly.

Venle
01-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Poor Novak :awww:

Nice to see Andy in the semis though, but not in this way.

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 05:58 AM
He should have stayed for a couple of minutes more and allow Roddick to finish the match. :mad:

Fired Up!
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Sour%20Grapes.jpg

rafa_maniac
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Disgraceful. What was the medical timeout for exactly, a nice ice massage? :rolleyes: Congratulations Andy, you utterly deserve this, and don't let anyone take anything away from you because the Faker retired, you handled the conditions on the day, and he didn't, simple as that. What a great two days it's been :banana:

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 06:00 AM
He really has to beef up the fitness if he still wants to be included in the discussions regarding top players. There was so much of a difference between his and Roddick's performance even though they both were dealing with the same conditions.

LOL. I guess plenty of people on MTF want to comment. I can barely get on the site right now.

Tommy_Vercetti
What a punk. I wish Andy would lay into his injury bs again.

FedFan_2007
BTW, Nole's perfect record of failing to defend his titles remain intact! Congrats Nole, a true Spartan if I ever saw one! :bounce:

pogotheorist
Sympathetic cold symptoms, from thinking about Murray. Or maybe the anthrax / bubonic thing.

Aenea
01-27-2009, 06:01 AM
What a terrible way for a defending champion to lose his title :sad: Novak has to work on his physical condition otherwise he won't last long among the best ones.

Congrats, Andy :)

Running:Free
Congratulations and good luck to Andy for the semis.

marcelwks
yes yes yes

Ububub
The King Is Dead!

JolánGagó
01-27-2009, 06:02 AM
bwwwwwwaaaahahahahahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha:

so what was the matter this time? swollen left eyelash? :rolleyes:

unbelieveable.

Well done Andy! :yeah:

chammer44
01-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Why did he retire?

I saw the attendants rubbing his leg earlier. Is that what it was?

jeremda01
bad luck Nole, nice to see Andy in semis

Young 8
What a terrible way for a defending champion to lose his title :sad: Novak has to work on his physical condition otherwise he won't last long among the best ones.

Congrats, Andy :)

working on physical condition ??

lol

did you watch the match ?

he was sick

SheepleBuster
I haven't checked the news for a while but is US helping Australia by bailing them out too? I mean why was this match played during day time when Novak had his last match go all the way to 2:30 AM. I am just sick and tired of Andy getting lucky. Andy was praying to God for Novak to retire. Did you see the look on Andy's face? Constantly staring? :)

~*BGT*~
01-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Novak :hug:

Good luck for the rest of the tournament Andy, and congrats to Andy's fans.

Rosie :hug: No gloating from me (unlike last night ;) :p ) but I can't believe Andy won this based on the heat! It got over 140 deg!!!!! :sad: I can't even IMAGINE what it would feel like standing in that heat but to have to play a competitive professional sport? Kudos to Nole for even lasting that long. :hug: And KUDOS to Andy for looking totally unaffected out there. :worship:

~*BGT*~
01-27-2009, 06:05 AM
bwwwwwwaaaahahahahahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha:

so what was the matter this time? swollen left eyelash? :rolleyes:

unbelieveable.

Well done Andy! :yeah:

Why did he retire?

I saw the attendants rubbing his leg earlier. Is that what it was?

It was OVER 60 deg C. :confused: No excuse needed from me. :unsure:

kyleskywalker007
01-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Say goodbye to number two for a couple of months now Novak...

TMJordan
01-27-2009, 06:06 AM
The guy is simply pathetic.

RagingLamb
Roddick seemed fine.

Very embarrassing loss for Djokovic.

FedFan_2007
Kudos for Andy. He was a MAN and never complained about the heat. I have new respect for the The Duck.

rafa_maniac
It can't POSSIBLY have been that hot on court. No way they would have allowed play to continue at that heat.

SheepleBuster
01-27-2009, 06:07 AM
It would be the death of Tennis if Andy somehow beat a Del Potro and Tsonga to win a 2nd Australian Open. I don't like Rafa too much but I am hoping that he will lay a beating on Simon, Tsonga, and Andy.

moon language
01-27-2009, 06:08 AM
This mono is good.

dusk
01-27-2009, 06:08 AM
I have new respect for the The Duck.

Based on what?

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Does anyone have a link to the post match interviews yet?

swebright
01-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Novak asked for night match; but they reserved the prime time spot for Roger. :devil:
Semis and Final will be night matches.

Jagermeister
01-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I haven't checked the news for a while but is US helping Australia by bailing them out too? I mean why was this match played during day time when Novak had his last match go all the way to 2:30 AM.

Some cheese with that whine?

As for Djokovic, I feel a bit badly for him. I hate to speculate in this kind of scenario. I actually defended Henin against people bashing her when she retired vs Mauresmo. But this is not a good thing for Novak. At all.

Good for Andy. The hard work in the off-season paid off, at least in the fitness and speed departments. Still too passive IMO to really go all the way but best of luck to him the rest of the way.

Voo de Mar
:o

habibko
back to retiring your way to #1 Novak?

as it was obvious he clearly had no injury whatsoever, he just couldn't handle the heat, a sad excuse of a top 3 player I must say, my prediction was right about him, if he didn't do anything drastic to improve his fitness and stamina then he won't go anywhere up the 3rd place soon, it's downhill from where he is now.

great match from Roddick, he did what he had to do, great improvements on his slice approach and volleys I must say, should be a good one against Federer :D

Aenea
01-27-2009, 06:11 AM

lol

he was sick
Yes, I did. He wasn't sick he was dehydrated and he had cramps on his leg which could be due to the dehydration. He couldn't cope with the heat and that is due to his fitness as well. He started well but was tiring too quickly as the match progressed.

martinatreue
01-27-2009, 06:11 AM
What some of you FAIL TO UNDERSTAND is that a person can be VERY VERY FIT but SIMPLY BE UNABLE TO COPE WITH EXTREME HEAT. There are genetic factors at play. I was born with a birth defect in my heart and can tell you that I got fit enough to run 15 miles in cool weather but in hot weather I could not do it all. I have had reparative surgery on my heart and can tell you that no matter how much training I do, the heat is just lethal for me. Novak may be someone who is genetically fragile in the heat. he has played many long matches in normal weather and not gotten tired. I think all of you people criticizing you need to accept that there may be facts you are not aware of.

TMJordan
01-27-2009, 06:12 AM
The guy is seriously a joke. This is your job, learn to deal with the conditions. I dont' give a fuck how hot it was. It did not effect Roddick one bit, what does that tell you? Tennis is pathetic right now and I can't watch this garbage anymore.

maki925
01-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Amazing, Nole has no luck when he has a tournament to defend.:sad:
Just awful to thing like this are happening!:(

Jagermeister
01-27-2009, 06:13 AM
It's a fair point that Novak needs to improve his level of fitness if he really wants to make a serious run at #1. Or is this just a limitation of his physical abilities?

peteroger
Is there a record for most retirement in Grand Slams? And in all ATP tournments?
Does Joker just make a new one?

Corey Feldman
THE BIG 3 Eh? yeah...

Nadal, Murray and Roddick

this Roddick was good, W/UE ratio was 43-14

he will kick Fed's arse in the semi final, he might struggle v Del Potro tho

dusk
back to retiring your way to #1 Novak?

as it was obvious he clearly had no injury whatsoever, he just couldn't handle the heat, a sad excuse of a top 3 player I must say, my prediction was right about him, if he didn't do anything drastic to improve his fitness and stamina then he won't go anywhere up the 3rd place soon, it's downhill from where he is now.

great match from Roddick, he did what he had to do, great improvements on his slice approach and volleys I must say, should be a good one against Federer :D

I agree about Novak. This was lame. Either get fit or don't play.

However...no great match from Rodick, since he was beating a dead horse and still managed to suck while doing that.

RogerFan82
01-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Quitter!!! Novak seriously needs to work on his fitness, or else he won't win many slams.

Hairom
it was 58 Celsius on court. Roddick handled the heat as a pro

Huntress555
Novak :sad:

But congrats to Andy!!! :):) I hope he can beat Fed!! It would be amazing!

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know why they didn't have the roof closed? Also what temperature would make them consider postponing the match?

swebright
01-27-2009, 06:15 AM
ESPN showed the list of his retirements. 4th. during slams. Overall may be 8 (Montecarlo etc etc.)

Lullaby
01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Novak asked for night match; but they reserved the prime time spot for Roger. :devil:
Semis and Final will be night matches.

Yep just like us open rodger gets all his own way, extra days rest, preferential treatment etc .....

WTF was that nole, at least muzza saw the match out - I can not believe this roddick who got so completely taken out by muzza the other day is in the semi finals. Fair play to the duck

iSzavay.
01-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Andy :woohoo:

Now for you Novak: This is unacceptable :help:

Allez-Alejo
I haven't checked the news for a while but is US helping Australia by bailing them out too? I mean why was this match played during day time when Novak had his last match go all the way to 2:30 AM. I am just sick and tired of Andy getting lucky. Andy was praying to God for Novak to retire. Did you see the look on Andy's face? Constantly staring? :)

Staring a hole right through his feeble legs. Nole had over 36 hours of rest...it's not as if it were a back to back situation. Improving your fitness and wearing down an opponent is not luck.

knight_ley
:woohoo:
Great match from Andy!
Too bad Djokovic couldn't put up some sort of a fight.
Hopefully people won't start saying "Aww it was the conditions.... It was too hot...."
Yea, Andy was in the same conditions people and he was running around like no problem!

I'm crazy and hopefully for an Andy/Federer semifinal.
I want to see what Andy can do vs Roger playing like this.

:woohoo:

rwn
01-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Some people can be in great physical condition and still not able to handle such heat as today. I don´t like Djokovic at all, but these attacks on him are unfair.

dusk
01-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Does anyone know why they didn't have the roof closed? Also what temperature would make them consider postponing the match?

This is ridiculous. They're trying to make tennis a gladiator arena.
Even if Novak had no problems with heat, you still can't see a good match at 60c...if the rallies had gone long, they would have been dragging themselves on the court by the beginning of the 3rd set.
Just awful to watch.

l_mac
01-27-2009, 06:19 AM

:haha:

:cuckoo: Did you enjoy Andy's loss yesterday *Hypocritica*?
LOL. I guess plenty of people on MTF want to comment. I can barely get on the site right now.
Server maintainence.
It was OVER 60 deg C. :confused: No excuse needed from me. :unsure:

Was it? Did someone actually take an on court reading? The ES commentators said the temp was 27C before the match started. Now, for sure, on-court temp is considerably higher, but I don't think that is as hot as it was for Feli and Muller on Day 1. During the Williams match yesterday the commentators said if a player is really ill/in danger of making themselves really ill the doctor can stop the match.

How can Nole have been dehydrated after the 1st set :confused: Anyway, another retirement in a GS. Now he only needs USO to have the Retirement Slam.

None of the other top players can say that, so well done Nole :yeah:

Congrats to Andy R.

Commiserations to Nole, sucky end to his Slam defence. Maybe tennis isn't for him.

rofe
I have had reservations about Novak's injury timeouts but not today. That guy was completely exhausted. I don't think it is fair to play in 130F heat. The match referee was pretty stupid in not closing the roof.

Kudos to Andy for putting in the hard work during the off-season in order to endure the heat but this was pretty shoddy treatment when there was a viable option to reduce the temperature on court.

Henry Chinaski
He told the trainer he felt very dizzy.

He lost me some cash by losing but saved me a bit by retiring.

alboX
01-27-2009, 06:20 AM
good job a-rod

swebright
There is a thermometer on the court (like a big round clock).

brief
Credit to Nole, I had expected him to retire a whole lot sooner than he did. I thought continuing the match in that temperature was pretty inhuman anyway.

wildegirl05
the match report on the official ao site says temp was in the 30 degree celsius :shrug:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2009-01-27/200901271233032022156.html

i think a couple of the espn commentators were dehydrated themselves :rolleyes:

Henry Chinaski
where's this 60 degree stuff coming from? The lowest setting on my oven is 50.

l_mac
01-27-2009, 06:21 AM
This is ridiculous. They're trying to make tennis a gladiator arena.
Even if Novak had no problems with heat, you still can't see a good match at 60c...if the rallies had gone long, they would have been dragging themselves on the court by the beginning of the 3rd set.
Just awful to watch.

Roddick looked fine.

Jagermeister
01-27-2009, 06:21 AM
I think the last temperature report I saw on ESPN said 54C (when Novak took that injury break)? But I wasn't watching the screen the whole time so dunno if it went higher than that.

They alluded to closing the roof but didn't say what the temperature would have to be for the roof to actually get closed.

TMJordan
01-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Seriously did Roddick even break a sweat? I don't believe it was that hot out.

rafa_maniac
01-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Anyway, another retirement in a GS. Now he only needs USO to have the Retirement Slam.

:rolls:

dusk
01-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Roddick looked fine.

Because there was no opponent!

savesthedizzle
I think the last temperature report I saw on ESPN said 54C (when Novak took that injury break)? But I wasn't watching the screen the whole time so dunno if it went higher than that.

They alluded to closing the roof but didn't say what the temperature would have to be for the roof to actually get closed.

At one point the on court thermometer ESPN kept showing went beyond the 60ş mark to where there weren't even any further tick marks. I think they were saying it was 61-62 then, at least according to the thermometer they showed..

Corey Feldman
this Roddick is the new Nadal

Stefanki coached Rios - within no time was in AO final
coached Kafelinikov - within no time won AO
coached Gonzo - within no time was in AO final

coached Henman - ...

well he did ok with the 1st three

the biscuit
:rolleyes: Not again.

JolánGagó
01-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Now he only needs USO to have the Retirement Slam.

unreal.

rafa_maniac
My commentators said it was 33 degrees C at some point during the second. Was the extreme heat rule even put in place today?

swebright
I have had reservations about Novak's injury timeouts but not today. That guy was completely exhausted. I don't think it is fair to play in 130F heat. The match referee was pretty stupid in not closing the roof.

Kudos to Andy for putting in the hard work during the off-season in order to endure the heat but this was pretty shoddy treatment when there was a viable option to reduce the temperature on court.

While the on-court temperature was 56, weather temp was 35.1. It could be 27 when the match starated but went up sharply afterwards35 is about 95 F?

~*BGT*~
01-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Was it? Did someone actually take an on court reading? The ES commentators said the temp was 27C before the match started. Now, for sure, on-court temp is considerably higher, but I don't think that is as hot as it was for Feli and Muller on Day 1. During the Williams match yesterday the commentators said if a player is really ill/in danger of making themselves really ill the doctor can stop the match.

ESPN showed an on court thermometer. During the second set, it was eeking past 40 but my the end of the third and into the 4th, it was PAST 60. :eek:

How can Nole have been dehydrated after the 1st set :confused: Anyway, another retirement in a GS. Now he only needs USO to have the Retirement Slam.

Congrats to Andy R.

Commiserations to Nole, sucky end to his Slam defence. Maybe tennis isn't for him.

RogerFan82
Court temperature was higher than air temperature, but still Djokovic should not have quit. For a professional tennis player, he has ridiculously poor conditioning. He should have stayed on court and let roddick enjoy his victory.

«Ivan»
He should have stayed for a couple of minutes more and allow Roddick to finish the match. :mad:

why?why 'n why?he saved his energy,roddick's too.
if he knew he can't do anything why should he stay on court? to look better,hotter(he can't be hotter).
why is so important to finish the match if you already lost?
that is stupidity.

i mean who cares?some of you can't wait press conf????how idiotic.

Smoke944
Andy :yeah:
Will need to play better to beat Roger, more aggression.
Still, well done.

habibko
01-27-2009, 06:26 AM

if A player can take it but B player can't, it's B player's fault/shortcoming and he deserves to lose the match, as simple and straightforward as that.

MariaV
01-27-2009, 06:26 AM

You missed her joyful comments yesterday? :awww: Check them out. :D

Jagermeister
01-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Yea, I don't think Roddick minded one bit that Novak retired. Save his energy for the semis, 'cause he'll need it.

TMJordan
01-27-2009, 06:27 AM
if he knew he can't do anything why should he stay on court? to look better,hotter(he can't be hotter).
that is stupidity.

:retard:

FedererBulgaria
01-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Great!Congrats Roddick:worship:

«Ivan»
01-27-2009, 06:29 AM
He should have stayed on court and let roddick enjoy his victory.

why?what victory if he already won?this is perfect example what i think of this kind of posters.

i mean why you bother at all.WHO CARES?i guess nole only in normal world.

real question is how 'n why world no.3 can be in such a poor physical form.

Xristos
01-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Expected.

tangerine_dream
01-27-2009, 06:31 AM
I don't think Novak deserves to be ripped into. He obviously doesn't have as good conditioning as Andy does but he tried to fight through the intense heat and I think it took guts for him to retire, to Roddick of all people, after what Andy said last year.

Anyway, it's great to see Andy back in a slam semifinal again. :banana: He has made the AO semis every off year, 2003, 2005, 2007, and now 2009. Not bad for one who's often dismissed and ignored as a contender. :p It was very impressive to see Andy run down all those drop shots in 130F heat. :eek: And he looked like he could keep running.

It's kind of funny, how so many coaches tried to mess with Andy's game (fix the backhand, tweak the forehand, move up to the baseline, adjust your serve, blah blah blah) but all Stefanki said was "Lose weight" and now suddenly Andy's back in the mix again.

Think Nalbandian could learn something from this?

Dougie
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Court temperature was higher than air temperature, but still Djokovic should not have quit. For a professional tennis player, he has ridiculously poor conditioning. He should have stayed on court and let roddick enjoy his victory.

You have no idea how Djokovic felt, so how can you say what he should and should not do. If he can´t play for the win, then why stay on court at all. If he would have played until the end, you would probably say he didn´t fight hard enough. And again, you have no idea how he felt.

RogerFan82
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
why?what victory if he already won?this is perfect example what i think of this kind of posters.

i mean why you bother at all.WHO CARES?i guess nole only in normal world.

real question is how 'n why world no.3 can be in such a poor physical form.

who cares ? :rolleyes: ummm, maybe the spectators who sit in the hot sun to watch the game. maybe Roddick fans.

crude oil
01-27-2009, 06:33 AM
At one point the on court thermometer ESPN kept showing went beyond the 60ş mark to where there weren't even any further tick marks. I think they were saying it was 61-62 then, at least according to the thermometer they showed..

i think the thermo might be misleading. they put that right in the sun's glare and it got practically baked.

nobody can play at 60 deg celsius.

so i think it might be exaggerated

Corey Feldman
01-27-2009, 06:33 AM
He has made the AO semis every off year, 2003, 2005, 2007, and now 2009exactly like Serena's titles here... 03, 05 and 07 and look at the banter between them in press conf.

parallel universe is back

FedFan_2007
01-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Fat Dave is feeling inspired watching Andy while munching on his burgers and donuts!

Havok
01-27-2009, 06:34 AM
It was 60 degrees ON COURT. Temperatures on court are always some degrees higher than the general temperature.

Djokovic is a bit of a pussy.:o He took a "medical" time-out to get an ice rub/massage???:cuckoo:

Kudos to Roddick for putting in the work during the off-season. He hit through some forehands midway through the second set which was nice to see. Hopefully he continues to HIT THROUGH the ball and cuts it out with the passive boring shit.:o Mauresmo's shit forehand is better than Roddick's when he gets passive and pushy on it.:help:

l_mac
01-27-2009, 06:35 AM
i think the thermo might be misleading. they put that right in the sun's glare and it got practically baked.

No way :eek: I won't believe it of an American broadcaster!

RagingLamb
You have no idea how Djokovic felt, so how can you say what he should and should not do. If he can´t play for the win, then why stay on court at all. If he would have played until the end, you would probably say he didn´t fight hard enough. And again, you have no idea how he felt.

everyone knew how he was feeling by the end of the second set. I don't know how bad he felt, maybe he keeled right over after walking off the court. But they match was near completion. He could have stayed on out of respect for his opponent, the fans, and the sport. But again, that's if he had anything left.

Retiring is like losing without letting your opponent win. Now Roddick's victory is all about Novak.

TMJordan
I don't think he can blame it on his 16 injuries this time.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 06:37 AM
I don't think Novak deserves to be ripped into. He obviously doesn't have as good conditioning as Andy does but he tried to fight through the intense heat and I think it took guts for him to retire, to Roddick of all people, after what Andy said last year.

Anyway, it's great to see Andy back in a slam semifinal again. :banana: He has made the AO semis every off year, 2003, 2005, 2007, and now 2009. Not bad for one who's often dismissed and ignored as a contender. :p It was very impressive to see Andy run down all those drop shots in 130F heat. :eek: And he looked like he could keep running.

It's kind of funny, how so many coaches tried to mess with Andy's game (fix the backhand, tweak the forehand, move up to the baseline, adjust your serve, blah blah blah) but all Stefanki said was "Lose weight" and now suddenly Andy's back in the mix again.

It's a bit too early to say Andy is back in the mix. Before today he hadn't really beaten anyone noteworthy in the AO. In the first set of the Djokovic match he didnt look that great despite holding serve easily, but he started to hit through his forehand a bit more in the 2nd but it was too hard to get a gauge on his form because Novak lost it. Match against Federer will be the best indicator. Also I think Stefanki has urged him to move foreward more so its not like the only thing he has said is lose weight. One thing I do have to admire is Roddick's determination. If Nalbandian had Roddick's desire he would be top 5 easy and probably a Grand Slam winner.

SheepleBuster
Some cheese with that whine?

As for Djokovic, I feel a bit badly for him. I hate to speculate in this kind of scenario. I actually defended Henin against people bashing her when she retired vs Mauresmo. But this is not a good thing for Novak. At all.

Good for Andy. The hard work in the off-season paid off, at least in the fitness and speed departments. Still too passive IMO to really go all the way but best of luck to him the rest of the way.

Obama will do anything to help Blake and his buddies it seems. Blake bummed out but there is no other reason for Novak to have to play a day match. Let Safina and Dulko Gulko whatever her name is do it.

l_mac
It was 60 degrees ON COURT. Temperatures on court are always some degrees higher than the general temperature.

Are they often 30 degrees higher? Celcius? Because that's what the ESPN commentators are pushing :lol:

Djokovic is a bit of a pussy.:o He took a "medical" time-out to get an ice rub/massage???:cuckoo:

He was just trying to extend things. You know he will take every advantage he can. If he had been able to hang on till the shadow came, he might have recovered :tape:

mickymouse
4 retirements in singles matches within 2 days....is that a record for a grand slam?

ORGASMATRON
01-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Roddick trained hard in the off season + Nole partied = Expected result

TMJordan
4 retirements in singles matches within 2 days....is that a record for a grand slam?

So called "athletes" these days.

Pathetic.

orangehat
Feel bad for Joker and his fans, but probably Roddick deserved it for his hardwork during the off season alone. Joker with his racket change and all that rackus which took something off his game.

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 06:39 AM
that is stupidity.

What would tennis matches looked alike if everyone are quiting already lost ones, there are a lot of matches where you can see from the first couple of points that someone is about to lose for a 100%. Should he quit to save his energy for next tournaments? C'mon, he could have stayed a few minutes longer, it is not like he was risking a permanent injury or something.

SheepleBuster
While the on-court temperature was 56, weather temp was 35.1. It could be 27 when the match starated but went up sharply afterwards35 is about 95 F?

It seems falling dollar has brought inflation in temperature conversion too. I mean 30 C is now 160 F according to Dick McEnroe

l_mac
Because there was no opponent!

:shrug: The heat?

Corey Feldman
So called "athletes" these days.

Pathetic.at least Muzza suffered till the death eh

TMJordan
01-27-2009, 06:41 AM
at least Muzza suffered till the death eh

Yeah I can respect that. Didn't Muzza also have to play in the heat? He played 5 sets too. Not 3 and 3 games :rolleyes:

dylan24
01-27-2009, 06:41 AM
did novak do azarenka just like murray did?

tangerine_dream
01-27-2009, 06:43 AM
It's a bit too early to say Andy is back in the mix.
What I meant by back in the mix is that he's back in the final four of a slam. I'm certainly not calling him one of the "Big Four". Or Fabulous Five. Or whatever number we're up to now.

Before today he hadn't really beaten anyone noteworthy in the AO. In the first set of the Djokovic match he didnt look that great despite holding serve easily, but he started to hit through his forehand a bit more in the 2nd but it was too hard to get a gauge on his form because Novak lost it. Match against Federer will be the best indicator. Also I think Stefanki has urged him to move foreward more so its not like the only thing he has said is lose weight. One thing I do have to admire is Roddick's determination. If Nalbandian had Roddick's desire he would be top 5 easy and probably a Grand Slam winner.
I agree.

ORGASMATRON
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1416/1127080463_43477078c8.jpg

Garson007
Novak seems to care as much about tennis as Safin these days. Pathetic.

Gandalf
01-27-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm happy that Roddick won, but if it was truly 60 C on court (as the pictures were showing) they should have closed the roof. Didn't they say earlier this month that they had changed the extreme heat policy to allow for closing the roof after each set?

dusk
:shrug: The heat?

Serving aces against someone who hardly moves isn't exactly the same as running 20 minutes on every single game.
My point was that, even if Novak had continued like he was playing in the first set, this match would suck after a while on 60c (Roof is necessary)
Look at Rodick's game in the first set. If he plays like that against Roger, he'll be finished in hour and a half.

Allez-Alejo
Nole needs to take a hit of AI...she put some life into Nando. AI is the antithesis of Hingis.

mikkemus23
Long live The King....

dylan24
01-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Roddick trained hard in the off season + Nole partied = Expected result

exactly

finishingmove
01-27-2009, 06:48 AM
did novak do azarenka just like murray did?

:lol:

Or Levy
01-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Speaking of, someone put a youtube video of Roger losing to Nalby in AO 03. The shocker wasn't Roger muttering "I can't f**** believe it" when had to deal with yet another net cord, but Nalby being AT LEAST 25 pounds lighter.

Lose the weight, you big dope.

TMJordan
01-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Speaking of, someone put a youtube video of Roger losing to Nalby in AO 03. The shocker wasn't Roger muttering "I can't f**** believe it" when had to deal with yet another net cord, but Nalby being AT LEAST 25 pounds lighter.

Dave is nothing without his weight.

Aenea
Serving aces against someone who hardly moves isn't exactly the same as running 20 minutes on every single game.
My point was that, even if Novak had continued like he was playing in the first set, this match would suck after a while on 60c (Roof is necessary)
Look at Rodick's game in the first set. If he plays like that against Roger, he'll be finished in hour and a half.

That's true, I agree with you.

Forehander
Whahahaha he got dominated~! I wish CLay Death was around.

Farenhajt
01-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Actually, what happened to Nole Bashing thread, so carefully maintained by McFemale and the Bopping Squad? Nowhere to be seen on the first GM page.

dodoboy
01-27-2009, 06:53 AM
:woohoo::aparty::drive:

Roddick is working so hard!

Serena def Djokovic :D

Certinfy
01-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Roddick just played amazing imo. lol

Fee
01-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Actually, what happened to Nole Bashing thread, so carefully maintained by McFemale and the Bopping Squad? Nowhere to be seen on the first GM page.

the mods closed all of those threads this year.

jcempire
what's going to happen the next>?

Roger for Roddick

Good to see it

Acer
lol

~*BGT*~
01-27-2009, 06:56 AM
who cares ? :rolleyes: ummm, maybe the spectators who sit in the hot sun to watch the game. maybe Roddick fans.

Not this one. I wanted Andy out of there. :unsure:

Are they often 30 degrees higher? Celcius? Because that's what the ESPN commentators are pushing :lol:

They showed the thermometer on TV... no one is making this up. :shrug:

Mods permanently locked all those threads.

Farenhajt
01-27-2009, 06:56 AM
the mods closed all of those threads this year.

Really? I obviously missed quite a few things around here. Thanks :)

Corey Feldman
01-27-2009, 06:57 AM

omg you are right

Fed dropping the F bomb here and smashing a racquet, all kinds of behaviour :eek:

dzYNsCQbdVk

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 06:59 AM

25 pounds lighter from 2000-2006 - total of 5 titles
25 pounds havier in only 1 year and a couple of monts (end of 2007-2009) - total of 5 titles.

Is more weight wrong for him? Logic says it is , but math says no. Beats me. :shrug:

General Suburbia
01-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Worried about Roddick's form. He was soooo passive the first set. I don't think he hit a forehand winner the whole first set.

Too bad for Novak, but being fit and overcoming inclement conditions is part of what being a champion is all about. If this is a genetic and physical limitation that Nole just happens to have, he's in a world of butthurt.

finishingmove
01-27-2009, 07:01 AM
there's absolutely nothing different in roddick's game.

djokovic could barely walk out there, i'm surprised he stayed on court that long.

sawan66278
01-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Absolutely disgraceful that the world #3 was exhausted after ONE set of tennis. Heat or not heat, there is NO excuse for not outlasting Andy Roddick...especially with the firepower Djokovic has.

Let's face it: Djokovic refuses to put in the necessary training required to be a true champion...and defaulting as many times as he has shows: when the going gets tough, he flees...

Such a lack of professionalism...

He does not demonstrate, and even Rafa's detractors have to agree about his work ethic, the desire and commitment to excellence required to become a legend. And injury timeouts will only get you so far...:devil:

JediFed
01-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Anyway, another retirement in a GS. Now he only needs USO to have the Retirement Slam.

Some things never change do they?

At least "My first slam" will continue to sell like hotcakes.

Has it ever happened in a GS where the defending champion has retired?

Lee
01-27-2009, 07:11 AM

It was 35 when the match started. Before the match, I went to weather.com to check Melbourne temperature and it's 35 and it was 29 about 90 minutes before

That's the same condition the players are under, right. The players were not playing under shade during the match but right in the sun's glare.

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Worried about Roddick's form. He was soooo passive the first set. I don't think he hit a forehand winner the whole first set.

Too bad for Novak, but being fit and overcoming inclement conditions is part of what being a champion is all about. If this is a genetic and physical limitation that Nole just happens to have, he's in a world of butthurt.

Roddick did not have a single winner on ground-strokes in the first set. He had 6 aces and 3 volley winners. If Djokovic could have dealt with the conditions his level of the first set would have been enough to win this in straights. I don't like when conditions play a role in an outcome of the match, but that is tennis. You have to play with the cards you have been dealt with. Today those same cards were more suitable for Roddick.

FairWeatherFan
01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
I couldn't believe it when Djokovic retired from Wimbledon with a sore toe.
Given the tough conditions at the AO this is more understandable.

trixtah
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM

He was just trying to extend things. You know he will take every advantage he can. If he had been able to hang on till the shadow came, he might have recovered :tape:

On the court, like the actual court surface, it could be much higher than ambient atmospheric temperature. That color isn't exactly going to reflect light.

Nathaliia
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
mhhh sure it'd look better if he let roddick finish, but some bookies pay back retirements, so he thought of gamblers ;)

Lee
01-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Kudos for Roddick worked hard during off season to bring his fitness level up. As someone mentioned before, when play under this extreme condition, there may be other condition that breaks a player but if you're not fit, you cannot even sit or stand under the sun like that for more than an hour.

yanchr
01-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Djokovic is a good player and a fun person off court. But he is a total disgrace in sportsmanship. He was full of crap in the press conference. Excuses here and there, complain about the schedule, etc. He actually said he was much better now and felt like going back on court again......:rolleyes:

Clydey
01-27-2009, 07:19 AM

lol

he was sick

So was Murray. And he went 5 sets before losing and not using it as an excuse.

My condolences to Ljubica and Arsen. Other than that, glad Roddick went through. Nole should have finished the match.

oz_boz
01-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Rafa doing a Wilander/Federer this year (3 GS)? Bandwagon jumping of course but the quality of his expected biggest threats still don't seem to scary, of the remaining field only Tsonga has more than a tiny chance to beat him IMO.

Diprosalic
01-27-2009, 07:22 AM
i predicted roddick to be the "suprise" finalist. god i hope i was wrong

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 07:22 AM
I think this match should have been played at night. Apart from actually being the better matchup its a tough turn around for a player to gave to play that late at night and then again in this kind of weather. I don't think its an excuse for his retirement, but I do think his request should have been honored especially considering that Fed pretty much always plays at night and Roddick hasn't had an opportunity yet.

swebright
01-27-2009, 07:24 AM
If he's 13 slam holder, 3 time champs..he will get the preference.

bad gambler
01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
I think this match should have been played at night. Apart from actually being the better matchup its a tough turn around for a player to gave to play that late at night and then again in this kind of weather. I don't think its an excuse for his retirement, but I do think his request should have been honored especially considering that Fed pretty much always plays at night and Roddick hasn't had an opportunity yet.

Pretty good point

leng jai
01-27-2009, 07:26 AM
This fakervic is a disgrace to tennis in every aspect.

I expected this to be a night match though. Fakervic hasn't even had one yet while Fedmug has had 2. Rodduck is also a much bigger draw than Del Pony.

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 07:28 AM

2nd round against Malisse.

MissMelly2U
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm not into bashing players, but Djokovic's performance is just ridiculous sometimes. Just when you think he is going to get it together, he demonstrates an apalling lack of sportsmanship and professionalism. People do not pay their hard earned money to watch matches ending in retirement, especially if the player in question does not have a serious injury. If Djokovic wants to stay at the top of the game he needs to learn how to better adapt to less than ideal conditions during his matches. The first step would be to condition himself a bit better.

rafa_maniac
01-27-2009, 07:30 AM

I expected this to be a night match though. Fakervic hasn't even had one yet while Fedmug has had 2. Rodduck is also a much bigger draw than Del Pony.

I'm pretty sure it was dark when he faced Baggy :scratch: Or could you count it as an early morning match? :D

l_mac
01-27-2009, 07:31 AM

Nole-Baggy was a night match last round :confused:

Q. Not a satisfactory condition out there, but were you better prepared for the conditions, do you think?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, maybe. I don't know. I felt pretty good out there. I wasn't really feeling too much.

To be honest, from watching the news and everything yesterday, I thought it might be a little bit worse out there. But I'm just happy to be through.

Q. Tell us what Novak said to you at the very end when he shook your hand.

ANDY RODDICK: No, I said ‑‑ I didn't know what was going on, if it was an injury or cramps. He just said the heat was a little much and he was starting to cramp a little bit. I said, I'm sorry that you didn't get a proper chance to defend. I told him I had a lot of respect for him. That was pretty much it.

:rolleyes:

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 07:31 AM

4th round against Baghdatis.

Lee
01-27-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm not into bashing players, but Djokovic's performance is just ridiculous sometimes. Just when you think he is going to get it together, he demonstrates an apalling lack of sportsmanship and professionalism. People do not pay their hard earned money to watch matches ending in retirement, especially if the player in question does not have a serious injury. If Djokovic wants to stay at the top of the game he needs to learn how to better adapt to less than ideal conditions during his matches. The first step would be to condition himself a bit better.

If you paid attention to the stands where there's no shade, many of the people who pay their hard earned money to watch matches had left the stadium before the end of the match.

l_mac
01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
If you paid attention to the stands where there's no shade, many of the people who pay their hard earned money to watch matches had left the stadium before the end of the match.

And some had stayed. I guess that makes them the Roddicks of audiences, and the quitters the Djokovics. :D

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 07:35 AM
2nd round against Malisse.

He had the last match on Hisense. For some reason they decided to give Tomic the night match in Rod Laver. Fortunately he is a veteran so it will not be too big a deal getting adjusted to a night match in RLA.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I-Mac, where did you find the post match interviews?

Lee
01-27-2009, 07:37 AM
And some had stayed. I guess that makes them the Roddicks of audiences, and the quitters the Djokovics. :D

:shrug: I live in a desert. Some people can stay outdoor whole day during the summer with over 40°C temperature. Some died from heat stroke. :shrug: I had breathing problem as a teenager and although my doctor kind of fixed it, I have difficulty breathing and get dizzy if I have to stay under the sun for longer than 5 minutes here in the desert while my neighbour has no problem doing her gardening and she's older than me.

crude oil
01-27-2009, 07:38 AM
It was 35 when the match started. Before the match, I went to weather.com to check Melbourne temperature and it's 35 and it was 29 about 90 minutes before

That's the same condition the players are under, right. The players were not playing under shade during the match but right in the sun's glare.

i don know...its hard to believe. zvonareva, williams etc all seem to do ok. also the match was not physical. roddick was dropping a lot of huge serves and the points were fast.

60 deg celsius sounds ridiculous. i can believe 35 deg. even 40 is hell.

l_mac
01-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Q. Talk us through what happened there.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, sure. Well, the main reason is cramping and soreness in the whole body. I think the people could see that I was struggling with movement. I couldn't serve the way I served in the first two sets.

That third set I just started dropping 20, 30 kilometers per hour first serve. Obviously wasn't ‑‑ it was much easier for him to return.

He saw that longer rallies are not comfortable for me at that point, so he was using it wisely. Really unfortunate way to end up my Australian Open 2009 here in this way. Really tried my best, but sometimes you can't fight against your own body.

Q. Did you hesitate to retire because of the possible criticism given some of things that happened last season?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: What do you mean by criticism?

Q. Did it enter your head that you might face a lot of tough questions if you retired from the match?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, look, I wasn't thinking about that. This is all part of the sport. I did have some retirements, but I always retired with a reason. I don't see why should anybody, you know, take it or mean it that way.

Whenever I retired, I retired because I felt I cannot go on. I mean, I don't ‑‑ that's the only reason.

Q. You finished very late a couple nights ago. You were in the heat of the sun today. What did you think of the scheduling?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, look, I did finished very late, about 2:00, 2:30, 3:00 a.m. two nights ago. Went to sleep around 5:00, 5:30. Didn't really have time to recover. There were really difficult circumstances.

Conditions were extreme today. It did affect more on me than him, as you could see. But, you know, that was the situation. I just have to cope with it. It was unfortunate for me. I did request to play night match, but didn't came up good for me.

Q. You said the other night that a compromise might be needed about the scheduling of the night matches. What do you think that should be?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, look, I just don't want to turn around anymore. I end up this tournament and just want to switch to the next page and just look in the future.

I think doesn't really benefit for a lot of ‑‑ for a lot of people to play that late. But on the other hand, if you end up the match at 3:00 a.m., it's basically logical thinking that you should play the same match, second after 7:30. But it didn't happen.

Q. Is this the most disappointing moment of your career?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, no, not at all. I think a lot of people expected me to do well here because of the title, Grand Slam title in 2008. Obviously, it's very disappointing way to finish my first Grand Slam of the year in this way.

But you have to take the best out of it and be positive. That's where I'm trying to be. There is still a long season in front of me.

Q. How hard is it to defend a title now that you've had experience in trying to do it?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it is ‑‑ depending on how you take it, I tried not to think about certain pressure that you have being in this role. But I really took it as a challenge. I think I performed good tennis.

As I said, circumstances were against me this time. I think if I had a little bit more rest ‑‑ I was saying in the last press conference that I was confident, that I believed that I could recover. Obviously it wasn't enough time.

You know, we just continue on.

Q. How did you feel before today's match? Did you have any occasion that you might be in trouble?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Nothing in particular. I didn't sleep that great. I woke up a little bit tired, but nothing in particular. I didn't have any big pains in any particular muscles or parts of the body. It was just in general. It was in general soreness.

Q. You go to practice yesterday, or not at all?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I wasn't able to practice, no. I went to the bed at 6:00 a.m. I had to sleep. I did practice. I some things off the court, but not on the court. I wanted to save the energy and try to be fit for the match.

Q. What was the explanation given for denying your request to play at night?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I didn't want to get into it that much. Sometimes you don't have enough power obviously to get things right for yourself. It was probably, I don't know, TV or things like that, some requests, other requests, which is, you know, a little bit disappointing.

But what can you do?

Q. Are you saying that you think because there is an Australian playing tonight that the network that is broadcasting wanted her to be playing in prime time as opposed to you?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's on the tournament organizers to decide whether they going put me or her or whoever plays on prime time. I don't blame them putting an Australian on at 7:30. It's obviously it attracts most people and attention. You got to think about people, about the public, about everybody. That's what it's all about. You can't think only about the players, which is normal.

But sometimes you got hear what the players have to say. Things like this happen for ‑‑ not for a reason.

Q. How do you feel right now? Did you get any treatment?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I feel better. I feel better now. I want to get on the court again.

Q. Do you want to talk about Andy being fitter and lighter this year, moving around the court better. Did you find him a different opponent to play against?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: He's more aggressive on the return. He's improved. I think his new coach has an impact on that. He's been playing really well throughout the whole tournament. He absolutely deserves to be a winner on today's match.

Q. You just said you did get treatment. Did you get a drip or something like that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, just the cooling down. A little bit with doctors and with the ice, food, protein, some things to recover my body.

Q. Given what happened today, do you think the heat policy is adequate, or does it need to be revisited?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: That's something we have to discuss about in the future. Of course, it's concerning a lot of players. As a tournament or as a tennis fan, you don't want to see a player retiring. You didn't pay a ticket to come to see somebody retiring the match.

I feel sorry about the people who, well, expected maybe more of me. I had great memories on that center court. I still feel really confident and positive playing there. I look forward to coming back.

Q. Were you happy with your preparation before this tournament? You arrived late and things didn't seem to go your way. Will you do things differently next year?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: You learn from your mistakes. Obviously I might have changed a little bit this year. I stayed at home for New Year's Eve after a long time. But I think I had a good preparation. Not really long, but a good one. We tried to improvise as much as we can.

Changing the racquet had an impact as well on the general situation. I was getting used to it. Here I found my good rhythm with the new racquet.

Q. Everybody reacts differently to illness. Is it possible that you need to perhaps develop a greater trust in your body, a greater relaxed nature so you could perhaps play through these things a little bit more?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, look, I mean, it's easy for you to say. If you come into my body, then I'll be more than happy to hear what you think about playing.

But, look, I mean, I'm a professional tennis player for a couple of years now. There is absolutely no question about whether I have motivation and will and desire to continue the match and defend my title. There is absolutely no doubt that I have it to me.

My mind wanted me to continue on. I could have stopped even before in the end of the second set, because I felt really bad. I continued on playing thinking that something could help me out, maybe a treatment and things like that. But just kept coming back.

Nothing wrong with him :haha: Just tired and cramping.

No luck, Nole fans.

the biscuit
01-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Damn those cramps.

HeretiC
01-27-2009, 07:39 AM
He had the last match on Hisense. For some reason they decided to give Tomic the night match in Rod Laver. Fortunately he is a veteran so it will not be too big a deal getting adjusted to a night match in RLA.

Yes and the match was around the same time as night session on RLA.

l_mac
01-27-2009, 07:40 AM
I-Mac, where did you find the post match interviews?

Hidden on the AO site under Interviews. Those cunning Aussies :mad:

Corey Feldman
01-27-2009, 07:43 AM
has Nole said "he was in control" yet? :o

Hidden on the AO site under Interviews. Those cunning Aussies :mad:Those **** Aussies

;)

crude oil
01-27-2009, 07:45 AM

its rare that players get the opportunity to play twice in a row night. also many players have to do the night session, then day session transition. if they didnt then the same player would end playing night always. :lol:

Deivid23
01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Expected retirement. Nole, just fucking man up, dude :o

leng jai
01-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah I didn't watch the Bagdhatis match live hence the oversight. This should still have been a night match though.

wildegirl05
01-27-2009, 07:46 AM
:shrug: I live in a desert. Some people can stay outdoor whole day during the summer with over 40°C temperature. Some died from heat stroke. :shrug: I had breathing problem as a teenager and although my doctor kind of fixed it, I have difficulty breathing and get dizzy if I have to stay under the sun for longer than 5 minutes here in the desert while my neighbour has no problem doing her gardening and she's older than me.

that sucks :hug: but then you didn't choose professional sports as an occupation i don't think? :confused:

comparing how ordinary people react to conditions and then saying that applies to elite athletes is disingenuous. they are successful and well paid because they're supposed to train and be better than the rest. if something innately prevents them from doing this, then they're in the wrong profession if they don't want to be criticized for it.

Lee
01-27-2009, 07:47 AM
i don know...its hard to believe. zvonareva, williams etc all seem to do ok. also the match was not physical. roddick was dropping a lot of huge serves and the points were fast.

60 deg celsius sounds ridiculous. i can believe 35 deg. even 40 is hell.

As someone already pointed out, that number is not coming out of thin air. There's a thermometer on the court, under that sun and the camera had been showing it time and time again during the match. It started at about 52 and the highest I saw was 56. I believe I saw over 60 which someone else also confirm.

If 40 is hell, then I am sure I live in hell during summer here since that's the average high around that time of the year. :shrug:

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
its rare that players get the opportunity to play twice in a row night. also many players have to do the night session, then day session transition. if they didnt then the same player would end playing night always. :lol:

That's true but I feel like its a little different when you get to the beginning of a tournament and once you reach the qtr finals, etc. Plus there were a variety of other reasons why this could have been a night match.

scoobs
01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Well done to Andy Roddick.

I think it's unfortunate that this win is being made far more about his opponent.

Clydey
01-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah I didn't watch the Bagdhatis match live hence the oversight. This should still have been a night match though.

Why? They alternate. Dokic-Safina was always going to be a night match and I guess it was Federer's turn to be the night match. Maybe if he was facing a nobody, they would have made an exception.

iriraz
01-27-2009, 07:55 AM

If u look at Federer`s matches this year:1R Seppi(night match) 2R Korolev(day match) 3R Safin(night match) 4R Berdych(day match).So Federer played as many matches at day and at night so u can`t say he always plays at night.

Lee
01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
that sucks :hug: but then you didn't choose professional sports as an occupation i don't think? :confused:

comparing how ordinary people react to conditions and then saying that applies to elite athletes is disingenuous. they are successful and well paid because they're supposed to train and be better than the rest. if something innately prevents them from doing this, then they're in the wrong profession if they don't want to be criticized for it.

I don't know if Djokovic wanted to be a tennis player before or after he has the breathing problem. And even so, kudo to him trying to overcome this adversity instead of giving up. If both players are not well train, they would be dead on court today after 2 hours under that heat. Djokovic definitely not as fit as Roddick and that's why Roddick won the match today. You can criticized as much as you want. I have neighbours who grow up in the desert keep telling me it's no big deal with 45°C temperature because they never have to face the same problem as I have. :shrug:

Clydey
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
That's true but I feel like its a little different when you get to the beginning of a tournament and once you reach the qtr finals, etc. Plus there were a variety of other reasons why this could have been a night match.

Why? Federer-Del Pony was always going to be the night match, since it's at least as intriguing as Djokovic-Roddick and Nole had just been on at night less than 48 hours ago. Djokovic isn't the first one to play the night session followed by a day session for the next match.

l_mac
01-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Why should Nole get the night match? :confused: Apart from Dokic, no-one has had 2 night matches in a row, have they?

The Baggy match wasn't even that long. It ended late, yes, but they were only on court less than 3 hours. Nole won IW in the heat, with no full day's rest between big matches. :shrug:

He wasn't prepared, and started cramping. End of. He was in no physical danger, clearly, and should have allowed Roddick to serve out the match.

wildegirl05
I don't know if Djokovic wanted to be a tennis player before or after he has the breathing problem. And even so, kudo to him trying to overcome this adversity instead of giving up. If both players are not well train, they would be dead on court today after 2 hours under that heat. Djokovic definitely not as fit as Roddick and that's why Roddick won the match today. You can criticized as much as you want. I have neighbours who grow up in the desert keep telling me it's no big deal with 45°C temperature because they never have to face the same problem as I have. :shrug:

actually andy, serena, venus all said they were fine in the heat. serena and venus were out there when it was hotter, i think.

my point is that bringing up how non-athletes are affected by conditions does nothing for the argument that nole needs to be fitter if he's to act professionally in his chosen profession. retirements and injury timeouts cannot compensate for something that apparently his breathing problems make hard for him. those rules are not there for that reason.

his presser stated that he felt fine after ice, food and protein. that's not a medical condition, that's poor preparation.

Oj-Ala
Playing in that heat was a stupid decision from the tournament.... Poor guys... that's even humilliating...

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
If u look at Federer`s matches this year:1R Seppi(night match) 2R Korolev(day match) 3R Safin(night match) 4R Berdych(day match).So Federer played as many matches at day and at night so u can`t say he always plays at night.

I guess always isn't the correct wording, but he has played the most (tied with Nadal). Again I'm not saying it contributed to the loss but I thought Djokovic could have gotten another night match in. Again considering Roddick hasn't yet played a night match at Rod Laver I just found it a bit curious.

leng jai
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Why? Federer-Del Pony was always going to be the night match, since it's at least as intriguing as Djokovic-Roddick and Nole had just been on at night less than 48 hours ago. Djokovic isn't the first one to play the night session followed by a day session for the next match.

Because Fedmug has already had 2 and Fakervic has only had 1. Thats my reasoning.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 08:03 AM

I guess I never realized it was ALWAYS going to be a night match. I guess personally I don't find it to be as intriguing a matchup (probably because of biases) especially because Federer should cruise in straights and it has more to do with the fact than just Djokovic playing the night before. I mean somoeone pointed out that he benefited from the schedule last year, but I guess I'm just a little surprised it wasn't the night match. I guess its more of a personal feeling than anything else.

MisterQ
The work that Andy has put in the off-season was obvious. Well done, and congrats!

delpiero7

I'm pretty sure that none of the men have had 2 night matches in a row thus far, and as Djokovic had his last match at night, he had to play in the day today. Any other way would have the schedulers being accused of favouritism towards players, even though following their own rules screwed the Djoker as his match against Baghdatis finished so late.

For some reason though, the schedulers rules don't seem to apply to out of retirement 'Australian' women, who get as many matches as they please at night on RLA.

Also, was it just me that noticed that Duck wasn't sweating as much as usual today? In normal conditions he has sweat pouring from his cap, but this didn't seem to be the case today!

Clydey
01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Because Fedmug has already had 2 and Fakervic has only had 1. Thats my reasoning.

The thing is the organisers can't win. Djokovic (and others) have moaned about being put on at night and now being put on during the day seems to be a problem. It seems like a lose-lose situation. Roddick dealt with the conditions fine and so have many players who have played a night session followed by a day session.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
The thing is the organisers can't win. Djokovic (and others) have moaned about being put on at night and now being put on during the day seems to be a problem. It seems like a lose-lose situation. Roddick dealt with the conditions fine and so have many players who have played a night session followed by a day session.

I dont think anyone has explicitly blamed the schedule for Novak's loss.

aeronatasha
01-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I only saw the last half hour of the match. Thank God I wasn't around from the beginning to witness Novak's withering away..

I hate the heat too and I have trouble remembering my name when it gets over 40C, but I'm no professional athlete and... fucking man up, Novak. Stay on the freaking court and let the man win. :mad:

There.

I vented. :o

Lee
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
actually andy, serena, venus all said they were fine in the heat. serena and venus were out there when it was hotter, i think.

my point is that bringing up how non-athletes are affected by conditions does nothing for the argument that nole needs to be fitter if he's to act professionally in his chosen profession. retirements and injury timeouts cannot compensate for something that apparently his breathing problems make hard for him. those rules are not there for that reason.

his presser stated that he felt fine after ice, food and protein. that's not a medical condition, that's poor preparation.

No, Serena and Venus were out there earlier and it's not as hot.

Did I say Nole need not to be fitter? He does need to be fitter to be an athlete. But being fitter doesn't mean he won't have problem to play under this kind of heat. I may not be a professional athlete, but I did train hard when I went for my black belt in TaeKwonDo. And the heat have me in the same way no matter I am fit or not.

After I wilted under the heat, I feel fine an hour or two staying indoor in air conditioning without ice, food and protein. I do need water though.

«Ivan»
01-27-2009, 08:13 AM
You missed her joyful comments yesterday? :awww: Check them out. :D

:retard: 'n sick from you.

«Ivan»
01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
:retard:

oh,you are,you are

wildegirl05
01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
No, Serena and Venus were out there earlier and it's not as hot.

Did I say Nole need not to be fitter? He does need to be fitter to be an athlete. But being fitter doesn't mean he won't have problem to play under this kind of heat. I may not be a professional athlete, but I did train hard when I went for my black belt in TaeKwonDo. And the heat have me in the same way no matter I am fit or not.

yeah, my point is that retirements and injury timeouts in the sport are not a response to this "breathing problem". i assume it's covered in his presser under cramping and general body soreness, btw?

if he has a problem with the heat, then he shouldn't show up on court. if he shows up, finish the match. and use injury and medical timeouts in a responsible way.

Lee
01-27-2009, 08:17 AM
yeah, my point is that retirements and injury timeouts in the sport are not a response to this "breathing problem". i assume it's covered in his presser under cramping and general body soreness, btw?

if he has a problem with the heat, then he shouldn't show up on court. if he shows up, finish the match. and use injury and medical timeouts in a responsible way.

So you rather he quit without even trying. Whatever :shrug:

JolánGagó
Well, there are conflicting emotions which tend to flood one's mind when faced with the proposition of witnessing the undoing of a player for whom one harbors a sort of contempt. However, I must admit that I found myself entangled in a quagmire during this match; on one hand, Djokovic is devoid of even the slightest modicum of likability; on the other hand, there seems to be an effeminate quality to orgiastically reveling in someone's sufferance -- be it slight, mild or extreme.

I'm never astonished by the willingness of others to lust in the unraveling of a mere tennis player; although, if there is anything which leaves me in a state of temporary bewilderment, it is the petty nature of those masquerading as non-emasculated men on this forum who proudly demonstrate a level of cowardice which is immeasurable and which reeks of a sense of femininity so raw and unabated as to reduce most of the women on this forum to an open-mouthed stupor.

In short, such pettiness should be reserved for female groupies.

STFU. Period.

yavore
Perfect scenario for Federer. The Duck will be double-baggled in the semis;)

Stensland
01-27-2009, 08:18 AM
told y'all roddick would take it.

JediFed
01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Hush.

Still must beat Del Pony.

wildegirl05
01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
So you rather he quit without even trying. Whatever :shrug:

no i would rather he man up. i'm just following through on your excuse that the heat just affects him differently because he's unique like that :shrug:

l_mac
01-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Lee, Nole seems to be blaming the schedule on his loss.

:wavey:

He hardly mentions the heat at all, which is odd given that it was 70C :eek:

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 08:23 AM

ESPN said it was pushing 85C. ;)

Jōris
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
told y'all roddick would take it.

And your prediction that Haas would beat Nadal in 3 or 4 was equally accurate. ;)

JolánGagó
01-27-2009, 08:29 AM

So let him retire if he has those medical problems, tennis isn't for him exactly as being a gardener is a no-no for you. Retiring from a GS you're defending the title because of "I was tired" or "I felt sore" is beyond pathetic, not to mention disrespectful. This is a pattern already with Djoker, he should either retire or be permbanned from the profession, enough of fakery and clownery. Let him set up a Circus in Belgrade, Im sure he'll become richest man in Serbia in a couple of months.

Stensland
01-27-2009, 08:29 AM
And your prediction that Haas would beat Nadal in 3 or 4 was equally accurate. ;)

i'm fifty-fifty now. i haven't made any other ao-predictions so far. but i'm going out on a limb, just to up the ante a bit: watch del potro beat federer in 4. ;)

«Ivan»
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM

full admiration:worship:

imac woke up at 4am and she'll spend whole day(with tmjordan-nole-fan 'n similar :retard:s )talking about nole,ljubica...i wonder did she ever left her willage?

imac>find a man,take it easy,live a life,get a yahoo.

«Ivan»
01-27-2009, 08:33 AM

turn off your pc please

Stefanos13
ESPN said it was pushing 85C. ;)

I guess he can't blame the heat because it was the same for Roddick. In any case, for once I agreed with the Eurosport commentators that his retiring was rather unsporting. They compared him to Henin's disgraceful (my word) retirement against Mauresmo. Djokovic should have (and could have) spent another 15 minutes on the court allowing Roddick a fair victory. He retires far too often and especially when things don't go as planned.

Having said that, I still like him. I just wish he worked on his attitude towards others. Unlike Henin, he's a good guy :)

finishingmove
get a yahoo

LOL

Lee
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
no i would rather he man up. i'm just following through on your excuse that the heat just affects him differently because he's unique like that :shrug:

The heat affect different people differently. You may say whatever you want to, I would probably say the same thing if I have never move to live in the desert and experience how the heat affect me. I grow up in hot and humid place with summer temperature over 30C with 98% humidity. I lived in extreme cold place with -40C and -70C wind chill factor. I have no problem adapt to that cold temperature but I just can't handle the 40C and dry summer heat. At the same time, I know people who has absolutely no probem with the heat here but won't survive the cold condition where I once lived.

So, it's just different people's body will react differently to extreme temperature. You can take it as an excuse but I don't think Djokovic care about what you or me have to say here.

redda2
01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Does any have a link to the Djokovic press conference?

Thanks.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Does any have a link to the Djokovic press conference?

Thanks.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2009-01-27/200901271233045133359.html

wildegirl05
01-27-2009, 08:44 AM
The heat affect different people differently. You may say whatever you want to, I would probably say the same thing if I have never move to live in the desert and experience how the heat affect me. I grow up in hot and humid place with summer temperature over 30C with 98% humidity. I lived in extreme cold place with -40C and -70C wind chill factor. I have no problem adapt to that cold temperature but I just can't handle the 40C and dry summer heat. At the same time, I know people who has absolutely no probem with the heat here but won't survive the cold condition where I once lived.

So, it's just different people's body will react differently to extreme temperature. You can take it as an excuse but I don't think Djokovic care about what you or me have to say here.

like i said, you can talk about all these different people's reactions to the heat all you want. if he's on court, he needs to finish the match, unless it was life-threatening. doesn't appear to be.

i don't think the rules are tailored for people's heat adjustment factor. maybe there can be a petition about this though :wavey: OR he could not be a professional tennis player. OR he could just follow the rules like the rest of the tour.

Bilbo
01-27-2009, 08:44 AM
nole would have won this match if it wasn't about the heat. however, it shows how bad his condition is.

Jōris
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM

And what if she did? Not being a Rafatard automatically defaults Ljubica as a better person than you.

Lee
01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
like i said, you can talk about all these different people's reactions to the heat all you want. if he's on court, he needs to finish the match, unless it was life-threatening. doesn't appear to be.

Guess he better drop dead on court next time. :shrug: That's the only way everyone will sure he's really not able to continue playing.

i don't think the rules are tailored for people's heat adjustment factor. maybe there can be a petition about this though :wavey: OR he could not be a professional tennis player. OR he could just follow the rules like the rest of the tour.

I didn't see the umpire or tournament referee gave him a warning for doing anything against the rule.

So because of one month of the ATP tour is played under extreme heat condition occasionally, any tennis players who have problem dealing with heat should forget about there are another 10 months of competition and quit.

I don't know exactly what you want him to do. It's not OK for him to get treatment so he can keep playing the match but it's not OK for him to quit the match either. :shrug: Make up your mind. Or that's not exactly what you're after, you just want him to quit tennis.

HattonWBA
01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
he could have continued at the least and let Roddick beat him, the faker strikes again, needs to keep his mouth shut in the futue on focus on his fitness and his tennis.

Tankman
01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Seriously did Roddick even break a sweat? I don't believe it was that hot out.

Roddick was sweating profusely while sitting down during the changeovers :o

has Nole said "he was in control" yet? :o

Those **** Aussies

;)

:p

I think it's unfortunate that this win is being made far more about his opponent.

A-Rod played a pretty good match. Still getting pushed around way too much, which is something he's going to have to work on over the next year with Stefanski. I'd like to see the ripper forehand back too. But I like the new lean A-Rod... he's getting so many balls back that he would have never had a chance with before.

I'm amazed Nole stayed on as long as he did. I really think he should have retired earlier - he looked awful. Yeah he might have looked fine and said whatever he said after, but it doesn't change how he was before.

He better not use this as a basis for the rescheduling of the AO though :armed:

As for his conditioning and whether he has a predisposition for this sort of thing, it can't be something he falls back on as an excuse forever. If he knows he's predisposed to having breathing problems etc., he should be training twice as hard as everyone else to make up for it. He's an elite athlete after all, so unless there is an actual physical disability he can't overcome, he has no excuse not to work harder.

habibko
01-27-2009, 08:57 AM
do you guys realize how many points will Djokovic lose from his ranking? he will no longer threaten to take the 2# place anytime soon :confused:

JolánGagó
01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
And what if she did? Not being a Rafatard automatically defaults Ljubica as a better person than you.

What's this crap about? Since when being somebody's "tard" makes one better or worse than other? Spare us this kind of idiocy, please, save it for the forum of your tardiness of choice.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
do you guys realize how many points will Djokovic lose from his ranking? he will no longer threaten to take the 2# place anytime soon :confused:

He could potentially be closer to 4th place than 2nd place depending on how far Federer goes. He also has Indian Wells to defend and some pretty good clay court results though he does get a bit of a breather with Miami.

wildegirl05
01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Guess he better drop dead on court next time. :shrug: That's the only way everyone will sure he's really not able to continue playing.

yes, that's really the only way for sure :rolleyes:

I didn't see the umpire or tournament referee gave him a warning for doing anything against the rule.

So because of one month of the ATP tour is played under extreme heat condition occasionally, any tennis players who have problem dealing with heat should forget about there are another 10 months of competition and quit.

I don't know exactly what you want him to do. It's not OK for him to get treatment so he can keep playing the match but it's not OK for him to quit the match either. :shrug: Make up your mind. Or that's not exactly what you're after, you just want him to quit tennis.

i thought i spelled it out very clearly multiple times but i can do it again :)

stay on his feet and finish the match. give roddick the win he deserved today.

it's played in high heat and he can't cope because he's just that different? then he needs to get better at coping or not participate. i personally, don't think he's that different from anyone else on the tour physically. he doesn't seem to be alluding to the heat and breathing problems at all. so no, i don't think he should quit. but if YOU think he's all that delicate and special, then maybe someone that unable to cope should quit. again, i don't think that's the reality of the situation.

reggie1
01-27-2009, 09:06 AM

But isn't that Novak all over? I'm neither a fan nor a hater of him but I didn't find this retirement that surprising. I think he was genuinely suffering with the heat but would he have really felt at that particular point that he could not have carried on had he been winning? This way Roddick can never say "Yes I beat you" and I personally think Novak's ego played a part in this withdrawal.
I do think people are affected differently by heat and I'm not sure that fitness is always an issue, if you have respiratory problems the heat will only exacerbate these no matter how fit you are.
I actually feel a bit sorry for Nole at times, I think he is extremely immature and ill prepared for how to deal with his fame and the expectations that his level of success have bought him. I also feel that he carries the demands, dreams and expectations of his parents on his shoulders and that can never be easy. I am not defending him but trying to view this with some balance.
Nice win/result for Andy and congrats to all of his fans, my best friend in particular! ;)

Kolya
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Is Roddick that fit or just his style makes it easier for him?

«Ivan»
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM

you!could never be anywhere near to ljubica.to clean her cats maybe.just maybe.

comapring ljubica 'n imac is comaparing prada 'n second hand t-shirt.

Stefanos13
01-27-2009, 09:09 AM
But isn't that Novak all over? I'm neither a fan nor a hater of him but I didn't find this retirement that surprising. I think he was genuinely suffering with the heat but would he have really felt at that particular point that he could not have carried on had he been winning? This way Roddick can never say "Yes I beat you" and I personally think Novak's ego played a part in this withdrawal.
I do think people are affected differently by heat and I'm not sure that fitness is always an issue, if you have respiratory problems the heat will only exacerbate these no matter how fit you are.
I actually feel a bit sorry for Nole at times, I think he is extremely immature and ill prepared for how to deal with his fame and the expectations that his level of success have bought him. I also feel that he carries the demands, dreams and expectations of his parents on his shoulders and that can never be easy. I am not defending him but trying to view this with some balance.
Nice win/result for Andy and congrats to all of his fans, my best friend in particular! ;)

Very nicely put – thanks

Jōris
What's this crap about? Since when being somebody's "tard" makes one better or worse than other? Spare us this kind of idiocy, please, save it for the forum of your tardiness of choice.

Bite me.

Deejay
What a lame way to go out for a defending champ. Cant believe he'd retire with only about 4games to go in the match potentially...wheres the fight and determination? Its actually a shame for the tournament that the match wasn't completed and that djokovic turned up for the event clearly not in shape at all compared to last year. Good win for Roddick but lets be honest Djokovic was never in the running for the title anyway, he wont get the no.2 ranking for a long time (he blew it in brisbane when he had a chance) and i know Murray has a lot of doubters on here but in my opinion its only a matter of time now before he overtakes him in the rankings.

MIMIC
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
if he's on court, he needs to finish the match, unless it was life-threatening.

:eek: Now that's just....well, insanely stupid.

Life-threatening? Are you serious? Do you know what "on the brink of death" looks like? Life-threatening means no breathing, unconscious, low pulse. You know...life-threatening. Are you telling me that unless Djokovic was exhibiting these signs of having his life threatened, he should remain on the court?

I pray to God that no one ever entrusts their livelihood in your hands. You'd be imprisoned for negligence.

FedFan_2007
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Retired because of "general soreness"? Geez, if at least he claimed he was overheating or something, but that is the lamest excuse ever. We shall forever laugh at Nole.

JolánGagó
01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Im just telling this: with that attitude Djoker is never ever gonna come close to N.2, let alone the Big Hopes of domination his fans seems to harbour about him.

Clydey
01-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Life-threatening? Are you serious? Do you know what "on the brink of death" looks like? Life-threatening means no breathing, unconscious, low pulse. You know...life-threatening. Are you telling me that unless Djokovic was exhibiting these signs of having his life threatened, he should remain on the court?

I pray to God that no one ever entrusts their livelihood in your hands. You'd be imprisoned for negligence.

While I don't think Djokovic should have retired, it should be noted that Wildegirl05's comments are idiotic. She's known for it.

Lee
01-27-2009, 09:33 AM
i thought i spelled it out very clearly multiple times but i can do it again :)

stay on his feet and finish the match. give roddick the win he deserved today

it's played in high heat and he can't cope because he's just that different? then he needs to get better at coping or not participate. i personally, don't think he's that different from anyone else on the tour physically. he doesn't seem to be alluding to the heat and breathing problems at all. so no, i don't think he should quit. but if YOU think he's all that delicate and special, then maybe someone that unable to cope should quit. again, i don't think that's the reality of the situation.

I finally figure out why I stay online and post in GM score thread today while mostly I don't care about what everyone say here.

BECAUSE I AM SICK AND TIRE OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO PROBLEM DEALING WITH HEAT TELLING ME YOU JUST GET USE TO IT. IT'S NO BIG DEAL WHILE AFTER 6 YEARS, NO MATTER HOW, I CANNOT COPE WITH THE FREAKING HEAT.

No matter how I hydrate myself, no matter how I cover myself, no matter how I try to be healthier, my head just explode under the sun and have hard time breathing WHILE THOSE PEOPLE BELIEVING THAT I JUST DON'T PREPARE FOR THE HEAT.

Eliande
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
It would be the death of Tennis if Andy somehow beat a Del Potro and Tsonga to win a 2nd Australian Open. I don't like Rafa too much but I am hoping that he will lay a beating on Simon, Tsonga, and Andy.

:worship:

juja_06
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
What's new?

wildegirl05
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM

i say the same prayer myself :yeah:

I finally figure out why I stay online and post in GM score thread today while mostly I don't care about what everyone say here.

BECAUSE I AM SICK AND TIRE OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO PROBLEM DEALING WITH HEAT TELLING ME YOU JUST GET USE TO IT. IT'S NO BIG DEAL WHILE AFTER 6 YEARS, NO MATTER HOW, I CANNOT COPE WITH THE FREAKING HEAT.

No matter how I hydrate myself, no matter how I cover myself, no matter how I try to be healthier, my head just explode under the sun and have hard time breathing WHILE THOSE PEOPLE BELIEVING THAT I JUST DON'T PREPARE FOR THE HEAT.

there there :hug:

juja_06
01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
no...just the head...

Jimnik
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
YES!!!! :woohoo:

Great result. And I think we can be sure the retirement doesn't mean anything. Andy beat Djoker today.

So much for "Roddick doesn't beat top 10 players".

This will be his 9th GS semi-final appearance. Interestingly he's now had more at the AO than any other slam.

rocketassist
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Fakervic reminds you of a wrinkly old man when the heat is on- he should retire.

Jimnik
01-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Congrats to Andy R.
LOL. Well done Nole.

reggie1
01-27-2009, 09:43 AM

I believe you, :hug: don't get overheated (pardon the pun!)

Lee
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I believe you, :hug: don't get overheated (pardon the pun!)

kobulingam
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Since his issues were not career-threatening, he really should not have retired from this match. He is an extreme loser for retiring because of muscle soreness and cramps (which a lot of people get in the heat, but often wait until they subside again).

These are not career-threatening things. He retires just to let people know that "this is not an official loss." This is the same idiot that retired from his match against Federer on clay after being broken in the second set because he had a sore throat?!?!?!?!

And the same idiot that RETIRED FROM WIMBLEDON _SEMIFINAL_ even though he won the first set just because Nadal was beginning to lay it on him (and he had a big blister on his foot).
Nadal had a big blister on his food in Rome but still fought until the end. These are not career-threatening issues. Your career won't be ruined becuase you played with a blister or sore throat or cramps.

Djokovic needs to be more of a man like Murray. Murray CLEARLY had the flu and wasn't playing his best yesterday but still fought and fought and didn't blame the loss on the flu. Or at least Djokovic should first try to be half a man, like Nadal, who will only retire sometimes in tuneups and but will fight to end most of the time and then blame losses on injuries in press conference.

Commander Data
01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I was watching the first set, where Nole was clearly the better player in every departement except Serve. After Nole won the first set I didn't see any hope for he Duck, which I thought was playing pretty unimpressive. However I noticed that Nole was keeping his mouth open all the time and thought the heat seems to bother him more then Roddick.

It is of course bitter for the Djoker but his is a cock nevertheless. He has a habit of retiring when it becomes clear that he can't win the match anymore. Not very graceful.

Fed will kill Roddick, though. Roddick seems all serve. Roger likes the heat, Practices all the time in Dubai to be prepared for that.

JolánGagó
01-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Im sick of this. Im not here to be screamed anyone's medical history right in my ear. Im very sorry about your ailments but please would you avoid further discussion of it in this thread? This is about Djoker match and his retirement, not about your battle with heat.

He is a professional tennis player, if he has medical problems he must seek help and if not solved quit the profession. Period.

Baghdatis72
01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
He should have been a man and stayed until the end of the match, unless he was about to collapse. Whenever he sees that he can't win the match he miraculously gets injured and retires. I have seen players with minor injuries continuing the match and sometimes even winning the match.

I read the news now and my conclusion is that Roddick was too good for him so he decided to quit by retirement as usual.

I am tired of defending him. His tennis is great but his balls and soul are not.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

He lost 1 more fan, I don't support him anymore.

leng jai
01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
How come this never happens when Fakervic is winning?

sphiie
01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Novak... it's such a shame to lose like this! It was like Rafael Nadal retired in quarter final at Roland garros just because he's tired... Really, I don't understand his reaction at all... and his explainations do not convince me. ??

Beat
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
i know it's an unoriginal and direspectful thing to say, but: QUITTER!

ToniTennis
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Well, I guess that, considering how he ended last year at Wimby, he just needs to make a decent tournament there to regain much of what he's gonna lose here. Not to mention all the tourneys inbetween.

That, of course, is gonna take quite some months, though, so you're right.

Anyway, sorry Nole for losing this way, but big congrats to Andy for deservedly reaching QFs and showing to some haters that you are still here.