Will Tsonga ever win a Grand Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Tsonga ever win a Grand Slam?

richie21
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Discuss.
Just after his AO final last year,many people thought it was a fluke result for him,taking into account the "AO usual surprising finalist" factor but since then,he has widely proved his doubters wrong,winning his first MS,making the TMC and beating many top players.

leng jai
01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
So many rubbish threads on MTF these days.

Johnny Groove
01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
He might win one this week

octatennis
01-26-2009, 11:21 PM
i have the impresion that he will reach the oz final again with murray's exit, so he can have a shot.

Sound
01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
He plays well on hardcourts, if he doesn't get hampered down by minor injuries he can win a big one, probably the AO is his best shot of the 4 though

richie21
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
He plays well on hardcourts, if he doesn't get hampered down by minor injuries he can win a big one, probably the AO is his shot of the 4 though

I'd actually say Wimbledon is his best shot.
I mean,his game is perfect for grass.

orangehat
01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
He's too fragile really. But even if he stays clear of injuries, I'm still inclined to think that fed/nadal/djokovic or mayyyyybbbbbbbeeeee even murray will have the edge over him.

the graduate
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
He can especially at Wimbledon and Australia,he doesnt seem comfortable in New York or claycourts,he is getting stronger and stronger and the top four will eventually fall apart and Roger looks like he is slowly going down plus he has beaten Nadull Djoko a couple or more times.He has reached a slam final which is also indication that if he takes it up a notch he will win

Sound
01-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I'd actually say Wimbledon is his best shot.
I mean,his game is perfect for grass.

He's closer to winning the AO than he is Wimbledon, he seems to like Australia I put him as 3rd favorite only behind Federer and Djokovic to win it all this year

out_here_grindin
01-27-2009, 12:03 AM

whi is this one rubbish?

richie21
01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
He's closer to winning the AO than he is Wimbledon, he seems to like Australia I put him as 3rd favorite only behind Federer and Djokovic to win it all this year

Don't forget he didn't play Wimbledon last year and that it was the GS where he performed the best before his AO final.

Anyway,he's got the 4 essential attributes to win Wimbledon: very big serve,big FH,great net play and exceptionnal mental strenght.

JimmyV
01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't really get why people say Djokovic has an edge on Tsonga. Djoke narrowly beat him in the AO final and Tsonga has beaten him the last 3 times they've played.

Snowwy
01-27-2009, 12:33 AM

Don't post here then, I'm sure exactly zero people will miss you.

LleytonMonfils
01-27-2009, 12:59 AM

Yea what's the point in posting and bumping such a useless thread right back to the top? Guess you wanna get that post count up? :rolleyes:

Everyone knows the talent for Tsonga to win a GS is there. It's the health that is always going to be the ? with this guy.

leng jai
01-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Yea what's the point in posting and bumping such a useless thread right back to the top? Guess you wanna get that post count up? :rolleyes:

Everyone knows the talent for Tsonga to win a GS is there. It's the health that is always going to be the ? with this guy.

Makes no difference as clowns like you will reply and bump it to the top anyway :rolleyes:

Sebby
01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
One thing is sure he will never win Wimbledon or RG, his best chance is definitely at the AO.

Venle
01-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Yes.

anousleshommes@h
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
DJOKO is OUT lmao ROFL

I think this year the winner will be either Tsonga or Fed. I so want Tsonga to give Nadal da beating of hgis life and win it all lol

Clydey
01-27-2009, 08:36 AM
No, I don't think so. I can't explain why, but I still don't think he's consistent enough to string 7 matches together, while beating a big name in the semis or the final. I think his best shot is if he gets a cupcake draw and/or gets a final with someone he is expected to beat.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't think he can beat Federer who can probably mix in enough offense and defense to frustrate him. I also think that when the big 4 (or big 2+1+1 or big 2+2 or big 1+1+1+1 or whatever) are playing at their best they can beat him.

Dragon89
01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
He can especially at Wimbledon and Australia,he doesnt seem comfortable in New York or claycourts,he is getting stronger and stronger and the top four will eventually fall apart and Roger looks like he is slowly going down plus he has beaten Nadull Djoko a couple or more times.He has reached a slam final which is also indication that if he takes it up a notch he will win

But his only Junior Grand Slam was US Open-2003, so i can't say that New York is bad for him. In 2007 he lost to Nadal, in 2008 he just wasn't ready after his injury.

finishingmove
01-27-2009, 08:44 AM
No, I don't think so. I can't explain why, but I still don't think he's consistent enough to string 7 matches together, while beating a big name in the semis or the final. I think his best shot is if he gets a cupcake draw and/or gets a final with someone he is expected to beat.

he doesn't need a cupcake draw. recently he's been showing some real top player qualities, winning matches on a very consistent basis, raising his level when he needs to.

i agree he would need an easy opponent in the final, though.

Clydey
01-27-2009, 08:46 AM
he doesn't need a cupcake draw. recently he's been showing some real top player qualities, winning matches on a very consistent basis, raising his level when he needs to.

i agree he would need an easy opponent in the final, though.

When I say "cupcake" I mean drawing the likes of Blake in the quarters and Nadal in the semis. Players who his style matches up well against. They obviously aren't strictly cupcake draws, but draws that favour his style.

finishingmove
01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
When I say "cupcake" I mean drawing the likes of Blake in the quarters and Nadal in the semis. Players who his style matches up well against. They obviously aren't strictly cupcake draws, but draws that favour his style.

would you fancy his chances if del potro or roddick made the final? ;)

HattonWBA
01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I dont think so for some reason

ORGASMATRON
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Yes

Clydey
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
would you fancy his chances if del potro or roddick made the final? ;)

:lol: I'd put my house on it if it was Roddick. You never know with Del Potro, though.

finishingmove
01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
:lol: I'd put my house on it if it was Roddick. You never know with Del Potro, though.

interesting, i'm thinking the opposite regarding those 2. it would be del potro's first final, whilst roddick's been there done that.

Clydey
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
interesting, i'm thinking the opposite regarding those 2. it would be del potro's first final, whilst roddick's been there done that.

Roddick doesn't have anything to hurt him with, though. He stands way behind the baseline and loops his forehand now. I think that match would be completely in Tsonga's hands. If he committed a truckload of errors, he'd lose. Otherwise, I can only see one result.

vincayou
01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
One thing is sure he will never win Wimbledon or RG, his best chance is definitely at the AO.

That's funny, I see Wimbledon as his best chance of success with AO (where he seems to have good vibes)

Grass is where he got his best results at challenger level (played 3 challengers on grass, won 2 of them). In 2007, his record on grass was 13/2 (lost to Cilic and Gasquet). His loss against Gasquet was mainly due to inexperience at this level, it was the first time he reached 1/8 of a slam. In fact, that was even the first and only time he played Wimbledon.

I have big hopes for Tsonga at Wimbledon. Very big ones.

IAMlegend
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
That's funny, I see Wimbledon as his best chance of success with AO (where he seems to have good vibes)

Grass is where he got his best results at challenger level (played 3 challengers on grass, won 2 of them). In 2007, his record on grass was 13/2 (lost to Cilic and Gasquet). His loss against Gasquet was mainly due to inexperience at this level, it was the first time he reached 1/8 of a slam. In fact, that was even the first and only time he played Wimbledon.

I have big hopes for Tsonga at Wimbledon. Very big ones.

One thing you have to remember also, he was gassed by the time Wimbledon came around. Before Wimby he actually entered and played two tournament simultaneously, he won one of them. He played I think 3 matches in one day and won all three of them. Wimbledon should be his best surface.

safinafan
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Sure he can win a Grand Slan!

anousleshommes@h
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
I AGREE WITH THE FRENCH GUY

Wimby and US Open are actually Tsonga's best chances (for anyone that followed his career prior to now)

I would never favour him to win the title in AO (tho I hope he does eventually), but yea, grass and US harcourt do favour his styule better.

MalwareDie
01-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I AGREE WITH THE FRENCH GUY
Wimby and US Open are actually Tsonga's best chances (for anyone that followed his career prior to now)

Do you really think so? Wimbledon is much slower than it used to be. Tsonga doesn't have a shot at Wimbledon unless they start to speed up the court.

Bernard Black
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Tsonga will have his moment in the glory, but not yet, I'd give him a couple more years - particularly once Federer is out of the picture, before he gets his best shot.

Crazy Girl
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
He's young and powerful, so why not? Give him some chances....people...

anousleshommes@h
01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you really think so? Wimbledon is much slower than it used to be. Tsonga doesn't have a shot at Wimbledon unless they start to speed up the court.

Mmmm, I doubt Wimby suddenly got slower because Nadal won it. No I think it's Nadal, rather, that adapted his game to the surface. Prior to that, Tsonga fared quite well on grass, getting to the semi final at Queens in London, and fourth round of Wimby.

MalwareDie
01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Mmmm, I doubt Wimby suddenly got slower because Nadal won it. No I think it's Nadal, rather, that adapted his game to the surface. Prior to that, Tsonga fared quite well on grass, getting to the semi final at Queens in London, and fourth round of Wimby.

Wimbledon isn't slower because Nadal won it, it's because it is in fact slower. How much serve volleying do you see at Wimbledon nowadays?

And look at this:
Q. How did you play?

MARAT SAFIN: I played well because I think the courts, they has been getting slower and slower throughout the years. So it's not any more like they used to be like eight years ago. It was really fast, and now you can play from the baseline and nobody even getting close to the net.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/06/27/safin-thanks-wimbledon-for-life-in-slow-lane/

Q. What are your thoughts if he is facing Rafael Nadal in the final about that matchup?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, he's just playing -- both of them are playing great match. Federer, he probably has more experience on grass than Nadal. But Nadal, he took him to five sets last year, and he's playing incredibly well right now on any surface. He won in Queen's. The way he's playing right now, it's just amazing because also the grass became slower, so it gives advantage to Nadal. So I think it's gonna be a tough, really tough one. And Roger, he has to play his best tennis to be able to beat him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/06/25/2008-06-25_no_3_seed_novak_djokovic_ousted_at_wimbl.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/25/AR2008062500688.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2006-07-16-surface-tension_x.htm

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1815724,00.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/slow-grass-helped-rafa-to-no1-rafter/2008/08/02/1217097613025.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/melbourne-slicker-than-wimbledon/2007/12/17/1197740182164.html

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2005/sep/20wimb.htm

maf
01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Wimbledon isn't slower because Nadal won it, it's because it is in fact slower. How much serve volleying do you see at Wimbledon nowadays?

And look at this:
Q. How did you play?

MARAT SAFIN: I played well because I think the courts, they has been getting slower and slower throughout the years. So it's not any more like they used to be like eight years ago. It was really fast, and now you can play from the baseline and nobody even getting close to the net.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/06/27/safin-thanks-wimbledon-for-life-in-slow-lane/

Q. What are your thoughts if he is facing Rafael Nadal in the final about that matchup?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, he's just playing -- both of them are playing great match. Federer, he probably has more experience on grass than Nadal. But Nadal, he took him to five sets last year, and he's playing incredibly well right now on any surface. He won in Queen's. The way he's playing right now, it's just amazing because also the grass became slower, so it gives advantage to Nadal. So I think it's gonna be a tough, really tough one. And Roger, he has to play his best tennis to be able to beat him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/06/25/2008-06-25_no_3_seed_novak_djokovic_ousted_at_wimbl.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/25/AR2008062500688.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2006-07-16-surface-tension_x.htm

Oh yeah sure it's slower than it used to be, but don't think it's slower than AO, that's just :retard: . Also it's still grass, with the properties that come with it, and that suits Tsonga.

MalwareDie
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah sure it's slower than it used to be, but don't think it's slower than AO, that's just :retard: . Also it's still grass, with the properties that come with it, and that suits Tsonga.

It's not the same grass as 10 years ago.

GlennMirnyi
01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Makes no difference as clowns like you will reply and bump it to the top anyway :rolleyes:

Total ownage.

:rolleyes:

Even Stevie Wonder complained that Wimbledon is too slow nowadays.

Exactly. Not the same surface underneath the grass, and not the same balls used.

maf
01-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Yes I agreed with that, but it's still grass, not clay.