Calories Burnt [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Calories Burnt

Xavier7
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
How many calories do you think professional tennis players burn off in a day?

I know an average person will burn 2000 being sedentary and 3000 if they are active, so would professional tennis players burn 4000 or 5000 in a day?

Is it possible some might sometimes burn off more than 5000 if they play a gruelling 5 setter with long rallies?

I find this interesting.

RIboy
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
ask Nalbandian, he writes book about it

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Nalbandian gains calories, not burns.

General Suburbia
01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
He writes books about that too.

habibko
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I find this interesting.

I find it interesting that you find this interesting.

federernadalfan
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
some burn more, some burn less, like nalbandian

finishingmove
01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I find it interesting that you find this interesting.

i find it interesting that you find it interesting that he finds this interesting.

habibko
01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
i find it interesting that you find it interesting that he finds this interesting.

I find it interesting that you find it interesting that I find it interesting that he find this interesting.

Certinfy
01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I find it interesting that you find it interesting that I find it interesting that he find this interesting.I find it interesting that you find it interesting that I find it interesting that he finds this interesting, that i find this interesting.

finishingmove
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
so how do you find david nalbandian?

easy. he's at the hotdog stand.

habibko
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
how does David Nalbandian burn calories?

he works out by eating more hotdogs.

Burrow
01-26-2009, 09:25 PM

I know an average person will burn 2000 being sedentary and 3000 if they are active, so would professional tennis players burn 4000 or 5000 in a day?

Is it possible some might sometimes burn off more than 5000 if they play a gruelling 5 setter with long rallies?

I find this interesting.

5000 ın one match, you have to be kidding me.

RagingLamb
01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
That's an interesting question, and i have no idea what the true answer is.

But here's my guess: I can burn a bit over 700 calories running 6 miles on the treadmill. This is if I go at a very easy pace of 6 miles/hour.

Tennis players run a lot faster and have to smack a ball around at tremendous pace, which is a lot harder than running on a stupid treadmill. Sure, they do take brakes in between, but given the amount of time they spend on running around on court, and how hard they play, I would say they easily burn around 2000-3000 calories per match.

habibko
01-26-2009, 09:33 PM

But here's my guess: I can burn a bit over 700 calories running 6 miles on the treadmill. This is if I go at a very easy pace of 6 miles/hour.

Tennis players run a lot faster and have to smack a ball around at tremendous pace, which is a lot harder than running on a stupid treadmill. Sure, they do take brakes in between, but given the amount of time they spend on running around on court, and how hard they play, I would say they easily burn around 2000-3000 calories per match.

sounds about right.

NinaNina19
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM

I find this interesting.
Even marathon runners won't burn off 5000 calories after running for two hours. Murray eats 5800 calories a day. Some of it is probably going to building muscle. I'm guessing male tennis players burn like 5000 calories a day. Not because playing tennis burns that much but because as athletes they have a much faster metabolism and more muscle. That in combination with 3 hours of tennis a die plus additional exercise probably equals to around 5000 calories a day.

tucker1989
01-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I've heard that one burns about 450 calories an hour playing tennis, and I would assume that pros burn a bit more than that, maybe about 500-550, so depending on the length of the match, between 500 and 1500 calories I would say.

ServeAlready81
01-27-2009, 12:07 AM

I say this is an overestimation because tennis is a lot of stop and go activity. You'd actually burn more calories cycling for an hour than playing tennis for an hour. It takes about 20-30 minutes of continuous cardio (cycling, running, power walking aerobics etc) for the average heart to reach the level of calorie burning. If a player would burn 3,000 calories in a single match everyone would look like Hantuchova.

habibko
01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I say this is an overestimation because tennis is a lot of stop and go activity. You'd actually burn more calories cycling for an hour than playing tennis for an hour. It takes about 20-30 minutes of continuous cardio (cycling, running, power walking aerobics etc) for the average heart to reach the level of calorie burning. If a player would burn 3,000 calories in a single match everyone would look like Hantuchova.

I think you are underestimating, Tennis involves alot of sprinting and not just monotonous running, sprinting 4 times in 10 seconds burns more calories and consumes more energy than jogging for 10 seconds, or at least thats how I feel when I do both.

and Tennis involves streching, powerful swinging, bending and jumping, not to forget the big mental part which also takes energy.

I think RL's estimation fits the average Grand Slam match.

nkhera1
01-27-2009, 12:16 AM

But in tennis when you are moving, you are usually sprinting around which is the best calorie burner. Plus I bet they burn a lot right after playing as their metabolism will remain elevated for a long time as opposed to continuous but not as intense cardio. I think they probably burn around 500-600 an hour and probably more after factoring in the boost in metabolism associated with playing.

ServeAlready81
01-27-2009, 12:58 AM
I think you are underestimating, Tennis involves alot of sprinting and not just monotonous running, sprinting 4 times in 10 seconds burns more calories and consumes more energy than jogging for 10 seconds

You are correct that sprinting 4 times in 10 seconds burns more calories than jogging for 10 seconds, but over the course of an hour set in tennis you do not sprint the entire duration, while someone jogging for an hour straight can jog the entire hour and thus would burn more calories than someone playing an hour of tennis. I'd like to guess than a player would burn between 250-400 calories per average set.

One must also remember that exhaustion isn't solely from calorie burning but also from the loss of hydration and electrolytes.

It would be cool if we could know the actual number although IMO the amount of calories burned would differ greatly among players due to factors like metabolic rate.

habibko
01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
IMO the amount of calories burned would differ greatly among players due to factors like metabolic rate.

style of play is the biggest factor, I can comfortably say that Federer loses the less amount of calories in the top 10 in a constant duration of time, some players compensate to their lack of skill and talent by doing alot more running and stretching.

ServeAlready81
01-27-2009, 01:17 AM
style of play is the biggest factor, I can comfortably say that Federer loses the less amount of calories in the top 10 in a constant duration of time, some players compensate to their lack of skill and talent by doing alot more running and stretching.very true, I'd love to see the difference in calories burned between Fed and someone like Monfils or Simon. Or the difference in calories burned by giant servers like Ivo or Isner and tiny guys like the Rochuses and Santoro.