Brad Gilbert! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Brad Gilbert!

Fumus
08-02-2004, 04:07 PM
The man, the myth, the legend, the thread all to him in the Andy forum!! :)

Fumus
08-02-2004, 04:11 PM
recently I wrote to Brad about Andy, I will keep you guys up date.

'askbrad@Bradgilberttennis.com'

Beating Federer!

Brad,

I noticed in yesterday's match in Montreal Andy was a lot more reserved and defensive against Federer, at least it appeared that way. I didn't think that was as effective as Andy going for his shots like he did in Wimbly! If Andy wants to beat Roger don't you think he needs to disrupt Roger's rhythm and not let him play his game? (I mean, by going for quick strikes, 1,2 punches for winners and coming to net, instead of long rallies where Federer can own Andy.)

A big fan of "Winning Ugly",

-Ryan Martin (NTRP 3.5 player)

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Here's an article that was just in the Jerusalem Post. I meant to post it in the Andy Articles thread but I forgot and this reminded me. So I guess I'll post it here.
====
Brad Gilbert talks with 'Post' about Israel, tennis, Andy, and Andre
By STUART CHELIN AND RICKY JACOBS

TORONTO

Over the past two years Andy Roddick has completed a difficult transformation from promising upstart to one of the top tennis players in the world.

A key part of his transformation was inspired by the "motivator," Roddick's Jewish coach Brad Gilbert.

Gilbert, a top player in the 1980s, who won 20 career titles, including Tel Aviv in 1985, 1986, and 1988, found his calling as a coach after he retired from playing. He coached Andre Agassi for nine years and was instrumental in his career rejuvenation from 1998 onwards.

Recently, he has coached Andy Roddick to a US Open title, a Wimbledon final, and to the top of the men's game.

Over the weekend, while Roddick was carving his way through the Masters Series Canada event on his way to a showdown in the final with Roger Federer, Gilbert, the world's most successful tennis coach of the past decade, took some time out of his busy schedule to talk to The Jerusalem Post about Israel, tennis, Andre, and Andy.

Gilbert, who says that his decision to play in the Maccabiah Games and for many years at the Tel Aviv Open resulted from a combination of his strong sense of Jewish identity, his friends in Israel, and his high regard for the tournament organizer. "It's a little sad that they don't have any tennis there anymore," he said.

Would the major players come to play in Israel if a suitable event could be organized?

"No. Unfortunately, its not a great time in the Middle East right now. I think the guys would be nervous," he said. "The National Tennis Center there, in Ramat Hasharon, is a nice center," he added.

Gilbert is a dyed-in-the-wool Californian whose family, on both sides, immigrated to the US over 100 years ago. Though he has never considered making aliya, he did say that Israel "is a great place. I enjoyed going every time I was there."

Despite that, he has not been back since he last played in Tel Aviv in 1994. Would he go now?

"Not until things are a little bit settled. But as soon as I felt like things were settled, I would take my whole family," he said.

"I have friends [in Israel]. I feel for what's going on there," he added.

Asked if it is important that there is a Jewish homeland, he answered "Yeah. I'm sure every Jew feels [that] sense. My father does all sorts of work for different Israeli charities."

Briefly referencing the political situation in the Middle East, Gilbert remarked "I feel for everybody in any situation where there is conflict. I can't believe that in this day and age we can't work conflicts out."

Moving on to tennis, Gilbert says he's been lucky to coach Agassi and Roddick, not the other way around.

"They have unbelievable God-given talent and I have been very fortunate to be with two guys who are so talented," he said.

"They are both incredibly competitive. They are both incredible people persons. People like to be around them. They are fun people. But their games couldn't be any [more] different."

In terms of his coaching philosophy, Gilbert explains, "You work with each player's strengths and individualities. You don't try and mold anybody. You try and work with what they have."

Gilbert intimated that he doesn't feel like he is a "guru," but has just been lucky to "be along for the ride" with two incredibly gifted players.

Regarding Roddick, he said "I like to think that even if I wasn't there, someone else would have got it out of him, because he is incredibly talented."

What did he learn from his many years with Agassi?

"No matter what happened in the past, it don't matter anymore. It ain't coming back. All you can think about is what's happening right now, and you can make the future...

"Tennis is methodical. It's over the long haul. There's no magic pill. It's all about hard work. If there was a magic pill, I'd give it to myself. It's about hard work. Its about discipline. It's about talent. All the different components, and you put it together and you get something special."

Hopefully, Gilbert will keep putting together players' components over the years to come, because the result has been something very special for tennis fans.

Fumus
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Nice article! Brad!! :rocker2:

RoddickBabe10
08-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Wow! That was a really nice article! I'm a big fan of Brad! hehe

Dirk
08-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Fumus If andy felt that was the answer he would do it. He is not a taylor dent or a Tim Henman or a Max who will charge the net as much as possible. He is not comfortable yet and maybe will never be. Rogi hits some of the best passes and Andy make an incredible volley to counter the one passing shot, but having to do it over and over again is something he can't do nobody can. Andy might try this plan just like he did at wimbly but once he started to make errors or get passed he slowly stopped doing it and went back to doing what he does best. I'm shocked andy didn't slice more but after beating the slice master Santoro it wouldn't have helped.

Oh and Fumus Brad isn't Mr. Known it all, he just likes to think he is. He will help Andy beat Rogi consistently as much as he helped Andre beat Pete consistently. Still I would say he is a great coach if a bit overrated.

Andy played very well yesterday it was just Federer was in a god like state. Its almost as if Rogi never left the court after the 3rd set from playing thomas.

Fumus
08-02-2004, 07:38 PM
ok Dirk Diggler, you play coach, what would you do if you were Andy you wanted to beat your favorite(Roger)?

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Dirk Diggler! :haha: :bigcry: :rolls: :sobbing: :haha: :crying2:

Dirk
08-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Roddick is on the right path but it takes time. He is improving but sadly so is Rogi. Andy did everything he could in this match, Wimbly, Cup match and last year when he won. He isn't doing anything wrong. Rogi played at a very high level yesterday so Andy had no chance just like everyone else. I know its hard for the USTA to accept that the most gifted player out there is not an american but that is the way it is. These god gifted types like Nastase, Rios, Laver, Pete, Borg, Mac and Rogi and so on don't come around too often so the entire game should do their best to sell them.

Fumus
08-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Roddick is on the right path but it takes time. He is improving but sadly so is Rogi. Andy did everything he could in this match, Wimbly, Cup match and last year when he won. He isn't doing anything wrong. Rogi played at a very high level yesterday so Andy had no chance just like everyone else. I know its hard for the USTA to accept that the most gifted player out there is not an american but that is the way it is. These god gifted types like Nastase, Rios, Laver, Pete, Borg, Mac and Rogi and so on don't come around too often so the entire game should do their best to sell them.

Well that's not really what I asked. You just twisted that into talking about how great Roger is. (lol, Dirk you do that alot) I don't argue with you on that. If I was Andy I wouldn't focus on the fact that Roger was great, I think about his weaknesses. Right now, I think there are few (maybe Rogi's backhand), thus, you must take the ability of Roger touching the ball away, take it out of Roger's hands. I like that strategy better than just loving Roger and saying you are too good :worship:. I agree Roger is great but, he is beatable even on his best days, everyone is, no one can loose site of that. Also Andy didn't play as well as he could yesterday, that was the biggest beatdown Fed has given Roddick yet (except maybe 2002 Wimbly). So there is definitly more Andy can do.

tangerine_dream
08-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Fumus, why do you call Dirk "Dirk Diggler"? Is it because he acts like a big dick? :scratch:

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Fumus, why do you call Dirk "Dirk Diggler"? Is it because he acts like a big dick? :scratch:

:haha: :lol: :banana: well I thought it sounds better than what everyone else calls him..."dirk the jerk"....Dirk Diggler is more subtle

..sides his dick isn't that big, I heard it was a prostetic at the end of the movie...;)

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 08:13 PM
OMFG :haha: :bigcry:

DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:19 PM
how is it you guys appear offline but then post like lightning (almost like you are offline) is there some way you guys can go invisible?

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:23 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/eek6.gif

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
prolly just from doing many things at once
I'm doing RO email right now so going back and forth between windows

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
ohh but it shows you as online you are not invisible.

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah Fumigator it's in your options you can elect to not show up on the online users list

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
awww sneaky deaky....*James Bond music*

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:38 PM
lol...now you know howta avoid all those pesky fans of yours http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/chase.gif

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:46 PM
haha you'de be suprised...

*fantasy music*

Proph and Bunk did you want an autograph again?

omg another one...I really have to start charging you people...really what do you do with these things sell them on e-bay..

*dream sequence over*

huh...oh yea...being able to go invisible maybe useful..;)

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:47 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/king1.gif

oh yes my lord!

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:48 PM
oh yea...so Proph are you back...like...100 percent full time serious poster now?

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:51 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/ac10.gif <--for deb

i can try....im not on a home comp yet but closer to it

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:57 PM
haha, you are back in action finally like AA...haha c'mon Andre win!!

Proph
08-02-2004, 09:06 PM
something like that, lol...i ain't bald though

Fumus
08-02-2004, 09:10 PM
haha...well, neither is Andre...he's just got a really short hair cut...lol..hahaha

Proph
08-02-2004, 09:25 PM
yeah...suree

Fumus
08-02-2004, 09:28 PM
I swear...it's just a gimic...you know Andre he's all image!

superpinkone37
08-03-2004, 12:10 AM
hey i like andre!!!! lol

Dirk
08-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Fumus Rogi is not beatable on his best day. Just not possible. I'm being realistic while you all are being unrealistic. Andy's changes are not going to come over night. He is doing the right thing but it will take time. Andy could be Rogi on any given day if Rogi's form allows him some playing room. Had Andy play Rogi in the semi instead of thomas he would have won for sure. Andy didn't play his best because Rogi was playing at a high level. Rogi is too good defensively for Andy's power. Andy rarely wins points from Federer off of his power. I think its impossible for Andy to stop being in awe of Federer. Its something that has seeped into his mind loss after loss. Oh and Fumus don't over play your hand with the humor.

Fumus
08-03-2004, 03:40 AM
Fumus Rogi is not beatable on his best day. Just not possible. I'm being realistic while you all are being unrealistic. Andy's changes are not going to come over night. He is doing the right thing but it will take time. Andy could be Rogi on any given day if Rogi's form allows him some playing room. Had Andy play Rogi in the semi instead of thomas he would have won for sure. Andy didn't play his best because Rogi was playing at a high level. Rogi is too good defensively for Andy's power. Andy rarely wins points from Federer off of his power. I think its impossible for Andy to stop being in awe of Federer. Its something that has seeped into his mind loss after loss. Oh and Fumus don't over play your hand with the humor.

Everyone is beatable Dirk. That' realistic, although you may call Federer "god", a "god" he is not, he is mortal, if you prick him he will bleed. If Roger can lose points, he can lose a match, and yes even at his best.

I agree Andy cannot change over night but, Andy is not in awe of Federer when they are on court, he is just another opponent. I am sure he isn't worshiping him on the court. All that said, I know Andy feels pressure to make shots alittle better so Roger can't get to them.

When Andy came out at Wimbly do you think he was in awe? No he came out right at him, that match was Andy's to lose after that. That was Andy on his best game. If the rain delays didn't occur in the fashion they did, Roger could have easily been down two sets. Roger certainly would not have the time to regroup that he did. Therefore, Roger is beatable on his best days. It is certainly not impossible and if there is anyone in the world who can do it's Andy.

Don't over play my hand with the humor? :eek: Is that a threat Dirk ? :devil:

texassnake3161
08-03-2004, 04:50 AM
ok god i hate this guy..... they show his face everytime during a roddick match....... stupid ESPN always has to show boring roddick matches.

star
08-03-2004, 04:51 AM
TROLL ALERT!!!!!

RoddickBabe10
08-03-2004, 07:07 AM
These people really need to stop trolling around ANDY's forum and talk shit about him. This is really pissing me off.

superpinkone37
08-03-2004, 07:25 AM
i agree....we arent talking shit in the fedex forum so u shouldnt be in here. i dont care what players people like, u can love them, worship them whatever, but dont out down other players

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 02:58 PM
OK see.... if we don't reply they'll go away :) So let's not feed them yay :)

Fumus
08-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I think Brad should get advertisments on his hat. They always show him in that dumb Raiders cap. He should wear a target hat, or sumtin...haha just for some extra cash, then maybe he can afford some Nair for his whole body...:b

RoddickBabe10
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
:haha: OMG Fumus, you crack me up!

RonE
08-04-2004, 09:56 PM
People can call Brad whatever names they want to call him, but the guy has an exceptional brain. The changes he made in both Andy's and Andre's game when they were struggling/playing mediocre tennis, the difference was quite apparent.

In total, Brad's proteges have won 7 grand slams (Andre 6 under Brad and Andy 1) under his guidance, so he deserves a lot more credit than many people care to give him.

LCeh
08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
No doubt RonE. Brad really is an incredible coach. He knows what Andy's strengths were, and before his weaknesses were improved, he taught Andy how to impose his strengths on his opponents. And now that Andy has improved drastically in lots of different areas, he can now do a lot more than what he could a year ago.

Fumus
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
AskBrad [AskBrad@BradGilbertTennis.com]
Thanks for your support, we're working hard and I'm doing overtime on Federer Express. Fan support works, get to the stands and make some noise. BG

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Ryan.Martin@dfa.state.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:51:56 -0400

>
>Brad,
>
>
>I noticed in yesterday's match in Montreal Andy was a lot
more reserved
>and defensive against Federer, at least it appeared that
way. I didn't
>think that was as effective as Andy going for his shots
like he did in
>Wimbly! If Andy wants to beat Roger don't you think he
needs to disrupt
>Roger's rhythm and not let him play his game? (I mean,
by going for
>quick strikes, 1,2 punches for winners and coming to net,
instead of
>long rallies where Federer can own Andy.)
>
>A big fan of "Winning Ugly",
>
>-Ryan Martin (NTRP 3.5 player)
>
>
---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Fumus
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Get in the stands guys! lol

RonE
08-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Nice email Fumus! Good reply too.

tangerine_dream
08-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Cop-out reply from Brad! ;)

Fumus
08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
lol...Tangy..feel free to pester him..

RoddickBabe10
08-10-2004, 06:23 PM
:yeah:

Fumus
08-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I think I am going to write BG a sneaky e-mail...

say like I am a top player on the ATP tour and I am looking for advice on beating another player nothing I do seems to work. Then I will describe Andy and Feds games and ask how I can beat that certain guy...lol...wonder if it would work.

superpinkone37
08-11-2004, 07:33 PM
ohhh go ahead!!! and post what u send to him here so we can all see lol
and if u get a good reply maybe i will make u another trophy :yeah: :lol:

melissa7
08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Do it!! lol :bounce:

J. Corwin
08-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Another ATP player? Brad might want to get paid then, Fumus. :lol:

Fumus
08-11-2004, 08:27 PM
haha...yea good call Jace, I will just say I am a club player, lol, a weekend warrior.

J. Corwin
08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Gotta love us hacks! lol :banana:

whoooooopahhhhhhhh! *power forehand crosscourt* yeehaw

Fumus
08-12-2004, 04:41 PM
haha, yea, I like my game the only drop shots I can hit are from shanks...lol