Federer questions Murray's fitness? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer questions Murray's fitness?

L James
01-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Not sure if this was taken out of context, but I found this quote interesting:

Federer also expressed gratitude for Sunday's match, which he said would give him confidence when he hopefully faces the higher - and younger - seeds later in the championship.

"It's good to have five-setters so you know where you're at," he said.

Exactly where Federer is at isn't entirely clear, but he believes wherever it is will be good enough to handle the likes of one of his biggest threats, Scotland's Andy Murray.

"I don't know how fit Murray is," he said.

"I'll take him on any day in a five-setter.

"He's younger so he's probably not so experienced, you know.

"In the end it becomes very mental, and I know that this is where my biggest strengths always come into play.

"That's why I'm always going to favour myself in a fifth set."

Quote taken from: http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/5280818/federer-survives-tough-set-match

CescAndyKimi
01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Getting desperate with the mind games now Fed, it's now so blatantly obvious it's pathetic.

Might as well give up and go home.

ORGASMATRON
01-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Im loving this, Fed not holding back. And he better back that shit up :dog:

cool bird1
01-25-2009, 11:03 PM
But to be fair what has Roger got to prove????? He has 13 slams he is with out doubt the best five set player on the tour.

Andy Murry has yet to prove that

CescAndyKimi
01-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Im loving this, Fed not holding back. And he better back that shit up :dog:
That's where he will end up looking like a mug, because i don't see how a 4 setters and 5 setters can be favoured to 3 setters in the early rounds. :rolleyes:

Clydey
01-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Not sure if this was taken out of context, but I found this quote interesting:

Quote taken from: http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/5280818/federer-survives-tough-set-match

Here's the question that prompted the reply.

Q. You said that after three and a half hours you were still fresh and fit. There's a lot made of Murray and Nadal's fitness. Do you feel you're as fit as these guys?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, I've played five hours against Rafa on clay and against other players as well. These kind of tests don't come around very often. I had a time in my career I hardly played five‑setters, like for two or three years, so I didn't know why where I was until all of a sudden that crazy match with Safin here in 2005.

Then I knew where I was. I was in pain because of my feet. That was a different issue. It's good to have five‑setters to see where you're at. I don't know how fit Murray is. I'll take him on any day in a five‑setter. He's younger so he's probably not so experienced, you know.

In the end it becomes very mental, and I know that this is where my biggest strengths always comes into play. That's why I'm always going to favor myself in a fifth set.

FedFan_2007
01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
That's where he will end up looking like a mug, because i don't see how a 4 setters and 5 setters can be favoured to 3 setters in the early rounds. :rolleyes:

As if Federer hasn't won 90% of his grand slam matches in 3 sets. You should start paying attention more. :rolleyes:

habibko
01-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Federer has NEVER lost a Grand Slam final to anyone except Nadal, all in Rolland Garros except last year's wimbly, Murray better not be too hopeful anyway.

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 12:42 AM
I still do not understand why MTF has so many Fed-haters. Heck, even I'm willing to admit Nadal and Nole's greatness. Why can't they admit that Roger is a living legend?

MatchFederer
01-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Maybe Roger tried to say " I will take Murray on, (I will face him) any day in a 5 setter (anytime, anywhere).

Andi-M
01-26-2009, 12:50 AM
What is Fed's problem with Murray??

I mean the ego king sounds pathetic, why he wants to give Murray even more reason to kick his whiny ass is beyond me!

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 12:52 AM
What is Fed's problem with Murray??

I mean the ego king sounds pathetic, why he wants to give Murray even more reason to kick his whiny ass is beyond me!

What's with this "ego-king" business? All Roger does it tell the truth when someone sticks a microphone in front of him. It's not in his nature to lie and tell politically correct garbage. Roger tells it like it is - a true champ. :worship::worship:

ORGASMATRON
01-26-2009, 01:02 AM
What's with this "ego-king" business? All Roger does it tell the truth when someone sticks a microphone in front of him. It's not in his nature to lie and tell politically correct garbage. Roger tells it like it is - a true champ. :worship::worship:

Well said. Ive been wondering why Fed is going on so much about Murray but fact of the matter is he gets asked by jounalists and he's a straight shooter, just the nature of the man. And then Murraytards go and take it so personally. Shame.

Byrd
01-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Taken out of context, and wouldn't you get pissed off if your asked about Murray in every interview, seriously people.

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Seriously if I was Fed, I'd be very pissed off that they're asking me about a guy who has won a grand total of 0 slams.

nkhera1
01-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Federer has NEVER lost a Grand Slam final to anyone except Nadal, all in Rolland Garros except last year's wimbly, Murray better not be too hopeful anyway.

Times have changed. Sure if Fed gets to the final he will be a huge threat, but he will be playing a much better quality opponent than what he usually has faced in his other finals.

Andi-M
01-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Well said. Ive been wondering why Fed is going on so much about Murray but fact of the matter is he gets asked by jounalists and he's a straight shooter, just the nature of the man. And then Murraytards go and take it so personally. Shame.

Im not taking it personally i just think Fed is embarassing himself, his comments about Murray are not honest or straight to the point there just completely uneccessary, I bet team Murray are laughing at these comments Murray is probably fittest guy on tour.

ORGASMATRON
01-26-2009, 01:09 AM
We'll see.

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Let the mindgames begin! Fed has always backed up his trash-talking, can Murray?

ServeAlready81
01-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Annoying

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Times have changed. Sure if Fed gets to the final he will be a huge threat, but he will be playing a much better quality opponent than what he usually has faced in his other finals.

Fed is already a living legend who absolutely dominated his own generation. He does not have to dominate the "new balls" to be considered great. What I find utterly fascinating about MTF is here we have a 13-time slam winner and he gets called - "clown", "mug", etc... It's pathetic.

nkhera1
01-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Fed is already a living legend who absolutely dominated his own generation. He does not have to dominate the "new balls" to be considered great. What I find utterly fascinating about MTF is here we have a 13-time slam winner and he gets called - "clown", "mug", etc... It's pathetic.

I never said he had to. I just think the "new balls" have much better chances of beating him in grand slams than do the old ones

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I never said he had to. I just think the "new balls" have much better chances of beating him in grand slams than do the old ones

I don't know that the "new balls" have a better chance then Fed's own generation did in 2004 when he beat prime Safin, Roddick and Hewitt for his first 3 slam year. In fact the last 2 US Open wins against Nole(ranked No. 3 at the time with 2 MS titles) and Murray(ranked #5 and MS title). You can't say he beat those guys when they were only 19 and not ready for prime time. Also I think his 2007 WImbly win against Nadal was pretty impressive as well. You can't say he hasn't won his fair share of slams against the new balls, while completely dominating his generation. The only thing he hasn't done is win 1 frakken French Open.

Clydey
01-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Let the mindgames begin! Fed has always backed up his trash-talking, can Murray?

Since when is Murray doing any trash-talking? He hasn't said a word.

FedFan_2007
01-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Murray has said plenty - too much in fact.

Clydey
01-26-2009, 01:21 AM
Murray has said plenty - too much in fact.

Such as?

guga2120
01-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Roger, always has something to say about young guys coming up that think they can beat him. It used to be about Novak and now he questions Murray. Early on, he even used to talk bad about Rafa.

Federer may be right, and he is alot more fit than Murray, but it is going to take Andy beating him in the final, for him to shut up.

A_Skywalker
01-26-2009, 01:57 AM

Federer is the best player now in terms of wins in the slams or MS.
He is 2nd after Sampras for now.

I dont deny anything of his acomplishments, he is the best.
But he is so little as person. His ego is so big. I can understand why people dislike him.

rafa_maniac
01-26-2009, 03:13 AM
But to be fair what has Roger got to prove????? He has 13 slams he is with out doubt the best five set player on the tour.

Have you seen Federer's 5 set record? For a 13 time slame winner, it's not as glowing as you'd expect.

pogotheorist
01-26-2009, 03:27 AM

Five-set match history: Fed 13-11 Murray 8-4

http://andymurray.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173906&postcount=199

If the facts are felt to have any bearing.

soraya
01-26-2009, 06:18 AM
No need to waith further, he is on to prove his mental and physical strenght right now.

habibko
01-26-2009, 06:24 AM
No need to waith further, he is on to prove his mental and physical strenght right now.

maybe he is doing this on purpose, as a statement directed toward Fed, it fits with their subtle messages for weeks now :rolleyes:

crude oil
01-26-2009, 06:50 AM
maybe federer was right !

Langers
01-26-2009, 06:55 AM
^ Sadly, looks like it.

Couldn't handle the pressure here.

kobulingam
01-26-2009, 07:00 AM
^ Sadly, looks like it.

Couldn't handle the pressure here.

Couldn't handle the flu.

Langers
01-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Couldn't handle the flu.
What flu?

Quadruple Tree
01-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Five-set match history: Fed 13-11 Murray 8-5

http://andymurray.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173906&postcount=199

If the facts are felt to have any bearing.

Fixed that for you.

marcRD
01-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Federer is a genius, all critisism was spot on against Murray.

crude oil
01-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Federer is a genius, all critisism was spot on against Murray.

not really.

when federer was 22, he wasn't exactly all that fit either. federer just spoke common sense and that is beyon what most on mtf can understand

murray will become fitter with time and will learn from this...just like fed said.

L James
01-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Good call, Roger ;)

Dini
01-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Wow Rogi!!! Truly a genius...
Now can the haters shut up? The GOAT has spoken words of gold.

marcRD
01-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Seriously, I have been saying this since all this talk about Murray beeing the favorite started, I would never bet on Murray on a 5th set against any decent player. Murray has to run miles before he gets to the 5th set and unlike Nadal his fitness is far from excellent.

Murray is kind of like Jankovic, will have big troubles to win a grand slam but he could still become world nr2 or nr1 because in best of 3 he is the best in the world.

habibko
01-26-2009, 07:18 AM
I finally found the perfect career for Fed after retirement...

Tennis Betting Master! :haha: :worship:

Langers
01-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Seriously, I have been saying this since all this talk about Murray beeing the favorite started, I would never bet on Murray on a 5th set against any decent player. Murray has to run miles before he gets to the 5th set and unlike Nadal his fitness is far from excellent.

Murray is kind of like Jankovic, will have big troubles to win a grand slam but he could still become world nr2 or nr1 because in best of 3 he is the best in the world.
Interesting post.

You're a great poster mate. :)

crude oil
01-26-2009, 07:22 AM

i wouldnt jump to conclusions due to one match. he has shown he can beat anyone in a 3 set match. it will take some time in a 5 set match...but it will come.

he just ran into a guy playing really well today. will he always run into someone playing really well on hardcourt, possibly? but i think he can handle djoker and nadal on hardcourts. federer, tsonga and verdasco are tougher because they are just hitters. one hot day for them and murray is gone.

it will not be easy but murray will win soon enough

marcRD
01-26-2009, 07:28 AM
i wouldnt jump to conclusions due to one match. he has shown he can beat anyone in a 3 set match. it will take some time in a 5 set match...but it will come.

he just ran into a guy playing really well today. will he always run into someone playing really well on hardcourt, possibly? but i think he can handle djoker and nadal on hardcourts. federer, tsonga and verdasco are tougher because they are just hitters. one hot day for them and murray is gone.

it will not be easy but murray will win soon enough

It is not just one match, I said it before the AO even begun. In the match against Nadal he had the look like he was about to die in the 4th set and I knew he would come to the final without the energy required to defeat Federer. Murray doesnt know the meaning of saving energy for the big matches, take that match in master cup against Federer, he just couldnt play in a more energy efficient way in a match that meant absolutely nothing. Murray is a big guy with not the greatest fitness in the world and he runs almost as much as Nadal in a match, it just doesnt make sense.

crude oil
01-26-2009, 07:35 AM
It is not just one match, I said it before the AO even begun. In the match against Nadal he had the look like he was about to die in the 4th set and I knew he would come to the final without the energy required to defeat Federer. Murray doesnt know the meaning of saving energy for the big matches, take that match in master cup against Federer, he just couldnt play in a more energy efficient way in a match that meant absolutely nothing. Murray is a big guy with not the greatest fitness in the world and he runs almost as much as Nadal in a match, it just doesnt make sense.

no no.

i agree with what you are saying but you are ignoring the fact that murray could improve and evolve those areas. im saying dont write him off yet. murray was bound to have a letdown after 6 months of hot tennis.

he has also become more aggressive since a year ago which is exactly what he needs to do.

marcRD
01-26-2009, 07:54 AM
no no.

i agree with what you are saying but you are ignoring the fact that murray could improve and evolve those areas. im saying dont write him off yet. murray was bound to have a letdown after 6 months of hot tennis.

he has also become more aggressive since a year ago which is exactly what he needs to do.

I agree that he can change, but it would require a change of attitude from Murray. He needs to play more aggresive and he can play more aggresive, I have no doubt about that.

manuel84
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Have you seen Federer's 5 set record? For a 13 time slame winner, it's not as glowing as you'd expect.

Didn't he play most of his 5-setters before winning the first of his 13 Slams?:confused: Bet. Wimby 2003-AO 2009 (still in progress obviously),I believe his only 5-set losses have been to Safin (AO 2005),Nalbandian (TMC 2005) and Nadal (Wimby 2008).