AO R4: Djokovic def. Baghdatis 6-1 7-6 (1) 6-7 (5) 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R4: Djokovic def. Baghdatis 6-1 7-6 (1) 6-7 (5) 6-2

Lopez
01-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Baghdatis was horrible in the first set. He upped his game a little in the second while Nole's level fell. Nole fought from a break down in the second to dominate the tie-break.

The third set was pretty much even. Nole saved 2 set points in the tiebreak on Baggy's serve but then surrendered the set with a FH UE on his own serve. Nole's dropshots in the 3rd set tiebreak :lol:. Nole got the early break in the fourth and never looked back, though he did have to save two break points at 3*-2.

Boring match all in all, both players played badly and just pushed the ball and waited for the UE most of the time. Baghdatis' forehand especially was unpredictable, with great winners followed by sloppy UEs.

Djokovic was pretty unconvincing, he needs to raise his level. Nice run for Baggy.

Nole looked like a hedgehog with the spiky hair :lol:.

Byrd
01-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Baggy had 0-30 in all of Djoko's games in the 4th set, guy had chances.

Johnny Groove
01-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Very incosistent from both. Awesome winners followed by stupid errors all match long.

Can't wait for Roddick-Djokovic :armed:

federernadalfan
01-25-2009, 02:29 PM
baggy :hatoff:

l_mac
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Well done Nole! :bigclap:

This match seemed more about Baggy than the #3. Nole didn't really do anything to win that 1st set, and Baggy handed him the break back in he 2nd.

That 3rd set TB was probably the worst TB I have ever seen.

So many chances for Baggy in the 4th :tears:

GL against Roddick, Nole. :yeah:

mickymouse
Great effort from Marcos. Poor Djokovic. Hope the late match doesn't affect him too much.

scoobs
Unconvincing, but the defending champion is still standing and can usually recover quickly from gruelling ordeals. He'll need to.

HeretiC
Good one. Great fighting spirit from both of them and there were plenty of amazing points and rallies. There was no strength calculating from any of them, going for every ball no matter of the score. Quite a gutsy play.

yellowboy906
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
i like djoker's come on toward the end. so emotional.

Clydey
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Baggy had so many chances in the 4th, but failed to take advantage. Gripping match, but the quality wasn't the highest for the most part.

Ozone
01-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Um l mac are you ok? Do you hate Baghdatis or something?

Anyways, great tourney from Baggy always has great success here. But I really dont know why this match was so close? I mean Baggy's 1 set % was low, and he made several Un errors. He didnt really put a lot of clearance on his shots either. But he fought well and gave everyone a great match and gave him some great confidence for the 09 season. GO MARCOS!

bokehlicious
3 more to go champ! :yeah:

brief
Patchy match, but there were some brilliant rallies in there somewhere.

Greatness
01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Good job by Novak, but he has to stop using those drop shots out of desperation to shorten the rallies: he usually makes mistakes or loses a point as a result.

This should have been a straight sets victory but I'm glad Novak won. :)

Ozone
01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I hope Roddick gets pounded. He always gets the easiest draw you can find. I hope his luck runs out now. But I hope Nole can get enough rest

rocketassist
01-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Lucky shit this Fakervic. All luck. How many UEs did Fatdatis make?

On that performance he deserves to be the fourth favourite and rightly so.

ClaudiuS
Baggy blew it in the 2nd, he could have seize that advantage.

Nice shots from Djokovic in the 4th set.

Vida
rarely in doubt, but a bit frustrating to watch.

dzoni
01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Hard Court King is still in cruise control:cool:

vidanhv
U have to love Baggy! What a character. OK, he didn't play well but he enjoys every minute he spends on the court. As to Nole, he seemed a bit pissed of that he even had to come out on the court. Lets see how defending champ gets through the quarters.

orangehat
If djokovic wants to win, he has to lose the drop shots. To say that most of them were horrible would be an understatement.

vucina
Awful, over 3 hours of pushing. He won't beat duck with that.

ClaudiuS
Roddick has a great chance against this Djokovic out of form, and also an UE machine.

Those 3 dropshots in the 3rd set tiebreak were just a joke. :lol:

nobama
01-25-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope Roddick gets pounded. He always gets the easiest draw you can find. I hope his luck runs out now. But I hope Nole can get enough restFigures he'd get drawn in Djerk's quarter when Djerk is playing sub par. :rolleyes:

green25814
01-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Impressive from djoker towards the end, he really seems to be working his way into form.

Baggy fought hard, but it was too much for him.

Andi-M
01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I think after Baggy didnt convert BPs 4/2 in 4th he just thought F*** it I wanna go home and get some sleep.It was too late. Not even he could be arsed to prolong it any futher.

dzoni
On that performance he deserves to be the fourth favourite and rightly so.

Right, and having Berdych take you to five sets clearly shows you're the favourite? Great thinking..

tennizen
Considering his last season, 4th round is a great result for Baggy. He could have made this match easily more competitive but he played horribly in parts. I think Djokovic will be pretty sharp in his match with Roddick.

l_mac
Lucky shit this Fakervic. All luck. How many UEs did Fatdatis make?

Nole 36 Winners, 49 UEs
Baggy 37 Winners, 53 UEs.

High quality match :lol:

rafa_maniac
Baghdatis played two great forehands in the third set tiebreak, and that was pretty much the extent of his impressive play on the important points all match. Just a waste of a match from him considering the commanding lead he had in the 2nd set, and the fact that he pushed Nole on every service game of his in the fourth, yet couldn't muster a single break. Nole was tougher, braver and ultimately the deserving victor. I'm sure he would have prefered an easier match though, and will have to raised his game several notches to have any chance of defending here.

ORGASMATRON
01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Djoke did well cept for the dropshots, he still needs to mature a bit. Other then that great player.

rocketassist
01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Right, and having Berdych take you to five sets clearly shows you're the favourite? Great thinking..

Difference being Berdych was smoking winners and playing lights out power tennis whereas Fatdatis was playing muggy error-fest tennis yet poor old Novak struggled to put him away in four :lol:

the biscuit
01-25-2009, 02:41 PM
rarely in doubt, but a bit frustrating to watch.
x2

I like the way Djokovic slides around the court (though on HC, maybe he should avoid it if he wants to stay injury-free :confused:). He's flexible like a bobcat. :aplot:

l_mac
01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
He's flexible like a bobcat. :aplot:

bobcats do it for you?

Hmm.

:shrug: Takes all sorts ...

dzoni
Lights out tennis? Like the 7th game of the third set, that was sure a good display. Or how bout during the fourth when his legs gave up on him and he lost almost all of his mobility. You're so right, Fed really did have a mountain to climb to get through that one..

malisha
bad quality,bad match,bad defending champion.period.

the biscuit
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
bobcats do it for you?

Hmm.

:shrug: Takes all sorts ...

I was referring to the way he moves, l_mac.

:rolleyes:

arm
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
:rolls:

green25814
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I thought the match was fairly good. Most of the ues were due to the exhausting rallies being played. Djoker was unbelievably solid at times.

l_mac
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I was referring to the way he moves, l_mac.

:rolleyes:

I think maybe you misunderstand the :aplot: smile then.

:hug:

vidanhv
01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Lets not be too harsh. In some moments it was even fun to watch, especially when they did not play LOL! Concerning the rest of the crew, i don't see how Nole is worst then the others (I don't include Muzza to this company since he could not have been a champ last year by any means).

RicRoc
01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Novak with black socks.He never looked better.:cool:
The game? Thinking about the local time in Melbourne...it was a good game.

*Ljubica*
01-25-2009, 02:53 PM
That was too much for my nerves :eek: Novak - what was that ridiculous dropshot in the 3rd set tie-break? Just relieved he won - and congrats to Marcos for making it a match after his disastrous 1st set.

karadjordje

You can just hate him he will win again.Faker did it again faked injuries called the doctor four times,bounced the ball 50 times before serving that`s why he won.Ha ,ha,ha some people are pathetic.:)

the biscuit
I think maybe you misunderstand the :aplot: smile then.

:hug:

Thanks for telling me. :worship: I'll try to use it right from now on. :)

Xristos
01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Good match.

Hope Nole destoyers Roddick on Tuesday night.

«Ivan»
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Boring match all in all,

did you watch?both unconvincing yes but boring?

So many chances for Baggy in the 4th :tears:

:eek: name just one.00-30 'n 15-40 were not chances because mental giant nole didn't alow a single chance.

btw,nole's forehand in 4th were amazing.baggy is great guy,for some moments he was at his best.but just in some moments.

3 more to go champ! :yeah:

hey protected guy,how's your day?you still want me killed,still pray for my death?'n administrators blessed you?

wish me death publicly please.coward.

Voo de Mar
01-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Overall good match, similar to Djokovic's fourth round at the US Open '07 against Juan Monaco.

Björki
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Nole :) :bigclap:

l_mac
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for telling me. :worship: I'll try to use it right from now on. :)

You are welcome :hug:

chooper :kiss: We will agree to disagree.

Langers
01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
First set and a half rubbish, thereafter pretty good standard of tennis.

Djokovic really nice comments in the interview, don't get why so many hate him. Well done Nole, 3 more mate! :yeah:

Vida
01-25-2009, 03:09 PM
First set and a half rubbish, thereafter pretty good standard of tennis.

Djokovic really nice comments in the interview, don't get why so many hate him. Well done Nole, 3 more mate! :yeah:

because after he beat fed a year ago he said "Im proud"... :lol:

l_mac
01-25-2009, 03:15 PM
because after he beat fed a year ago he said "Im proud"... :lol:

That is so not why I don't like him :lol: And he's never beaten my favourite :inlove: in an important match, so keep searching.

Nidhogg
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
The first five games was like ATP meets WTA.

groundstroke
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
i thought the 3rd set was excellent from both of them, especially the tie break, those 2 Baggy forehands were amazing

Vida
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
That is so not why I don't like him :lol: And he's never beaten my favourite :inlove: in an important match, so keep searching.

you're a djoko fan in disguise me thinks :p

aeronatasha
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone!:)

The first Nole's match I actually seen from start to finish this AO..
Good to see Marcos back and finding his form again, really made it tough for Novak.

Imo, Novak didn't get enough free points on his serve, was too reluctant to go to the net, and netted a fair bit of easy shots. Not to mention those damn dropshots in second breaker, which costed him that set.

But than again, he did very well to compose himself afterwards, hit the best hellish fh I've seen from him in a while, and stood strong in the end.

Provided he returns like his usual self and mixes up the serve a bit more (noticed he isn't going for the T as much, and when he does, he misses), I think he'll do good against the Duck.

Good luck boy!:)

l_mac
01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
you're a djoko fan in disguise me thinks :p

It's the GOAT of disguises then :lol:

l_mac
01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
This server :retard:

Sapeod
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice week Baggy. Maybe you can get back into the top 10 this year.

Lopez
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
did you watch?both unconvincing yes but boring?

Well yeah, having played tennis for several years (albeit only on a low competitive national level nowadays), error fests are hardly exciting matches for me. If both players play like crap, it's boring :shrug:. I enjoy quality.

guga2120
01-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Nole, seems to be playing a little bit better now, maybe he is getting used to the new racquet. He might be able to beat Roddick like this, but he is going to have to raise his level, to get Roger out of here.

Experimentee
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Boring crappy match. No where near the level I expected. Novak will have to really pick it up if he's to defeat Roddick.

Venle
01-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Poor Marcos, why is it always him who plays at night? :awww:

Congrats Nole :)

Forehander
01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Baghdatis was horrible in the first set. He upped his game a little in the second while Nole's level fell. Nole fought from a break down in the second to dominate the tie-break.

The third set was pretty much even. Nole saved 2 set points in the tiebreak on Baggy's serve but then surrendered the set with a FH UE on his own serve. Nole's dropshots in the 3rd set tiebreak :lol:. Nole got the early break in the fourth and never looked back, though he did have to save two break points at 3*-2.

Boring match all in all, both players played badly and just pushed the ball and waited for the UE most of the time. Baghdatis' forehand especially was unpredictable, with great winners followed by sloppy UEs.

Djokovic was pretty unconvincing, he needs to raise his level. Nice run for Baggy.

Nole looked like a hedgehog with the spiky hair :lol:.

Unconvincing? He played at the level he won the Australian Open last year this match. His second serves were lethal and barely made errors on break points. Most of the drop shorts worked. He can't play any better sorry.

ChinoRios4Ever
01-25-2009, 04:19 PM
As always Nole step up when it counts.

Stefanki's Roddick will be a real test imo.

Bascule
01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
http://wildtomatoes.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/deerhunter1.jpg

dzoni
01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm trying to figure out why some people at this place are constantly knocking on Nole, about his "poor" form, inconsistency, changing raquet "mistake", among other things.

No he hasn't been perfect, but there hasn't been a need for him to be. He's gotten the job done, none of his first four matches have ever been in doubt, he's dropped the odd set against Baggy and Delic, but he was in control throughout. As is the case with all champs, he's always raised his game when he's needed to and I'm sure it'll be no different against Roddick.

His results during this period of "poor" form still make the great majority of the players on tour envious.

ORGASMATRON
01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out why some people at this place are constantly knocking on Nole, about his "poor" form, inconsistency, changing raquet "mistake", among other things.

No he hasn't been perfect, but there hasn't been a need for him to be. He's gotten the job done, none of his first four matches have ever been in doubt, he's dropped the odd set against Baggy and Delic, but he was in control throughout. As is the case with all champs, he's always raised his game when he's needed to and I'm sure it'll be no different against Roddick.

His results during this period of "poor" form still make the great majority of the players on tour envious.

People are knocking on Nole cos they lack knowledge and they are haters. Nole is doing a great and he's going to beat Roddick again, im confident of that. I think he''l struggle against Fed in the semi's though cos he is just a little mentally immature still.

bad gambler
01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Looks like Djokovic was struggling with the tension of his racquet in that second set, kept gesturing to his box about it.

Anyway he got the job done

sawan66278
01-25-2009, 08:03 PM
The key to the match: Marcos could not get a first serve to save his life. And Novak made him pay.

I was VERY impressed by his keeping his head in the fourth set...and I think the extra set of play may actually help Djokovic get a better "groove" on his strokes. And, even at this level, Djokovic will knock out Federer if they meet.

Lullaby
01-25-2009, 08:07 PM
nole played very well - not a fan but credit where credit is due

rocketassist
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
People are knocking on Nole cos they lack knowledge and they are haters. Nole is doing a great and he's going to beat Roddick again, im confident of that. I think he''l struggle against Fed in the semi's though cos he is just a little mentally immature still.

Fedalovic tard then... glory hunter :lol:

Branimir
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
One problem that I see in Djokovic game is that he is no longer aggressive as he was and when he tries to be aggressive he starts to make mistakes. Good thing is that those mistakes are sooooooo close to the lines, but are still unforced errors.

No, this Nole is not even close as the Nole of last year who beat Federer and Tsonga. Just put those matches on!

Anyway where Nole totally lost it, and nobody can neglect that is his first serve. It is not even as close as good as it was last year. Last year at AO he averaged about 10 aces per game. Outaced Federer, kept close to Tsonga, but at this AO he has like 3-5 aces per game which is very, very poor.

I still believe he can win AO 2009, but he needs to play better, and sadly his opponents can't have their best day. Last year he beat Tsonga who was blazing hot, I can't see that happening this year.

finishingmove
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
podemos defender la AO , nole!

huehueheu

BalkanBoy
01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Even if I knew the result in advance I still enjoyed the match. Now Nole get ready for Roddick and don't forget to re-watch his comments from last year's USO :devil:

Lopez
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Unconvincing? He played at the level he won the Australian Open last year this match. His second serves were lethal and barely made errors on break points. Most of the drop shorts worked. He can't play any better sorry.

I feel that he is not at the same level yet, feel free to disagree. Sure, the dropshots worked, but not in the tiebreak where they were crucial mistakes. A tiebreak is such a tense situation that touch shots like the dropshot are hard to execute IMO.

fran70
01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Neither of them played their best tennis but Baghdatis played horrible! he made a lot of unforced mistakes attendind to his formal normal tennis level. And I`m not sure why but I guess that this Head reacket doesn`t suit at all with Djokovik at all... not yet....

Corey Feldman
01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
terrible stuff from Marcos at the start

must have hit the net 300 times

he's too nervous a player to ever become a GS champ, sad to say for him

dzoni
01-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Final in Cinci, semis at US Open, winner of TMC, quarters (for now?) at the Aussie Open, are his last results in the bigger hard court tournaments..Crisis? I think not..

forbiddenfruit
01-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Marcos just too patchy, and too passive at times. What happened to him... it looked like he was working his way to number one a couple of years ago - or so. I hope he finds his way back. :sad:

jeremda01
01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Ayde DJoko!

Spes
01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Shitty match, but he got through it which is important on this cursed day of near-upsets.

Farenhajt
01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Miss Djokovic looked ravishing in designer black evening gown, which tightly hugged each and every one of her ample curves, and if her Cinderella-style silver kitten heels are anything to go by - she showed us she COULD throw a ball.

On the other hand, Miss Baghdatis surprised us with new and trendy "tomboy" haircut, combined with cleverly chosen light-olive accents in her outfit. Very becoming.