Is anyone else seeing a "New Roddick 09"? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is anyone else seeing a "New Roddick 09"?

Stensland
01-25-2009, 09:11 AM
andy seems to be completely overhauled: he looks as fresh as ever, he's able to slice much better with a lot more pace, cross and longline, he's serving alright and, GET THIS, he's approaching the net quite often and his volleys are pretty crisp all of a sudden. :eek:

i never thought andy would be capable to adjust his net game at all because, quite frankly, i thought he was lacking talent, to be honest. turns out he's obviously been practising hard and it pays off these days. of course his opponents haven't been the best so far, but i'm fairly sure he'll have a good season if he can keep it up. this is the first time that a new coach has actually had a major impact on his game. i couldn't see that much of a change when his last coaches took office, not even during the connors era. back then, mainly the momentum shifted. this time though he's doing things differently.

what do you think? could this year be the make-or-break-year for andy when it comes to winning another slam? i'm saying it's now or never. if stefanki doesn't make it, nobody will.

General Suburbia
01-25-2009, 09:14 AM
No. Only that he's a bit faster and shows a crisper serve. But that won't be enough to beat the top 4.

finishingmove
01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
someone with decent passing shots would rip him a new one everytime.

don't get overexcited.

Stensland
01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
No. Only that he's a bit faster and shows a crisper serve. But that won't be enough to beat the top 4.

any comments on the volleys?

faster, crisper serve, better volley - and that won't help him out? to me that sounds like quite a complete player, given that he's a solid baseliner anyways.

orangehat
01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
he'll probably remain somewhere around status quo unless the djoker has a horrible season.

Action Jackson
01-25-2009, 09:20 AM
No, he will stay in the top 10.

nkhera1
01-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Beating the top 4 consistently is going to be tough, but last year he lost to some players he definitely shouldn't have so if he can stop doing that he should be ok. He should be able to better his slam results from last year and hopefully he can start playing the big 4 in big situations once again. I think he has improved his volleys. Some of his approaches are still head scratchers and sometimes he comes in after rolling the ball but it is better than what it used to be. The biggest problem is that he needs to hit the forehand a bit flatter. Obviously it hasn't hurt him so far but it will when he plays a top player.

sunsfuns
01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
We'll be able to judge this only once he has played some better opponents. Against Boredo it's irrelevant...

Tankman
01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd have to agree. Yeah it was only Boredo, but Roddick's game is so much cleaner than it has been and has improved in all the points the Rrainer mentioned. Whether it's enough to beat the top guys, we'll just have to wait and see. In all likelihood, he's going to be playing Novak so that'll obviously be the big test of his improved armoury.

adee-gee
01-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Did you see his match against Murray in Doha? It was brutal.

His only chance of getting close to the top again is to sort out his forehand, it just doesn't cut it against the big players. And it means he has to come to the net despite having a) dreadful approach shots, and b) pretty poor volleys.

Having said that, I think he's got a shot at taking out Djokovic (if Nole beats Baggy). No chance against Federer, Nadal or Murray though.

General Suburbia
01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
any comments on the volleys?
His volleys have always been passable, and they might be a bit better now. But it won't matter when he uses his clueless approaches, especially against the better players.

Tankman
01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Did you see his match against Murray in Doha? It was brutal.

His only chance of getting close to the top again is to sort out his forehand, it just doesn't cut it against the big players. And it means he has to come to the net despite having a) dreadful approach shots, and b) pretty poor volleys.

Having said that, I think he's got a shot at taking out Djokovic (if Nole beats Baggy). No chance against Federer, Nadal or Murray though.

Yes that's the one thing that still bugs me about his game - I dunno what he's trying to do with it :help:

Andi-M
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
someone with decent passing shots would rip him a new one everytime.

don't get overexcited.

:lol:

shawshank
01-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Every year they say that it is a new one Andy Roddick.
Every new coach they say it is a new one Andy Roddick.
I hope one day it will be truth because I'm tired of those "new-old" A-Rod's.

Certinfy
01-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I haven't personally, tho he has been getting some very good results.

DartMarcus
01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
It`s going to be difficult for him to beat anyone of top4, however, I expect Andy to do his best at Wimbledon, where he can reach final. I`m really excited at his match in quaterfinals.

sammy01
01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
hes looking in great shape (which has got him back on my perv over list) and is playing better tennis, though i doubt it will be enough unless one of the top 4 is off their game. i could see him making the #5 spot of his form so far this year and having a couple or really good titles to his name, and maybe even a slam final if some of the top players are tiered by the us open

groundstroke
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
he looks much faster & fitter...

cobalt60
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
he looks much faster & fitter...

Weight loss;) And I am having deja vu but there once was a poster named Hey who used to rant and rave that he needed to lose that fat so he could move better again. Guess she was right after all ;)

Stensland
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
baghdatis' performance is way too patchy today. if roddick was up against djokovic he'd grab the chances the serb is evidently going to give every opponent he comes across. roddick in 4.

rocketassist
01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Beating a clown like Boredo doesn't suggest anything, though winning the next round might.

Serenidad
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
A new way to get his ass thoroughly outclassed by anyone with patience and good passing shots.

foolish pleasure
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
what do you think? could this year be the make-or-break-year for andy when it comes to winning another slam?

umm...no...he looks exactly the same to me and has been winning against players that if he lost too would be embarrassing...if he starts playing out of his mind against a top player....

TheBoiledEgg
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
cos beating Boredo is a testament to that theory ?? :haha:

Duck could probably beat him with both legs amputated

Jagermeister
01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I think he stands a good shot at taking out Djokovic who hasn't looked all that great to me. However, I wouldn't say it's a new Roddick. He looks fitter than in the last couple of years and he's moving better. His forehand is still not penetrating the court enough to take him all the way to another Slam win, unless the draw opens up.

I'd like for him to win another Slam but it's too early to tell if this partnership with Stefanki is going to do the trick.

SloKid
01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Well he lost some more hair since the end of last season...

Jimnik
01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I agree he looks sharper in many departments but he still lacks that crucial extra confidence he had back in 2003.

Djokovic match will be interesting.

Voo de Mar
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Honestly saying I don't see any difference between his play this year and the previous one. Final in Doha and QF in AO look quite good but the only serious beating opponent in those 8 wins was Monfils. Maybe I'll change my opinion after the match against Djokovic but for now, I don't think that Andy is able to win two sets against D'Joke.

Stefanos13
01-25-2009, 04:13 PM
I haven't seen a different Andy. He often goes through these refreshed periods until he faces some real test from the big 4. I don't think he can beat any of them – at least at the AO

m9m9m9m9m9
01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Still the same old Roddick
but he will have a better slam result than last year for sure

Cricketics
01-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes.

in such type of discussion, we can easily bring out stats.I wish there was a statistician here who could bring up somet stats.

Before Roddick used to win against ordinary players in 5 sets, or 4 sets.. now against same ordinary and against some decent players, he is wrapping up the game in 3 sets.. He has matured. I used to call him the most "Overrated" player.. but now i can drop that word from my mind.

Roddick vs Djokovic.. i think we have a great game to follow

Dougie
01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Only difference I´ve seen is that his backhand slice is maybe a bit sharper now. I hope he has a good year for a change, but his draw at the AO hasn´t been that difficult yet, so can´t draw to many conclusions from his matches so far.

Jackie Stephens
01-25-2009, 04:47 PM

You mean the top 10 :D

Albop
01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Expected thread.

Pea
01-25-2009, 04:57 PM
His only impressive win this year thus far is against Monfils and that was a 3 setter.

meihaditalab
01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
nah, same old A-Rod. nothing has changed, the only thing is that he's gotten the easiest draw of life...

Stensland
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
nah, same old A-Rod. nothing has changed, the only thing is that he's gotten the easiest draw of life...

have you seen him volleying recently? have you seen his slice? his movement? obviously people might disagree with my opinion that he could have quite a good season in 09, but you're simply wrong when you say that it's the "same old a-rod" these days. either you haven't watched him play so far or you're just a biased hater.

i'm not a fan either, don't get me wrong, and i don't even think he's a great tennis player - but i have to accept that he's obviously able to up the ante in several departments, which is something i wouldn't have believed a couple of months ago.

crisp volleys, deep slices and good movement have very little to do with the draw. either you're displaying those things or you're not, it's that easy, no matter who you're up against.

COA
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
He looks slimmer than in 2008, he's faster, maybe cause Stefanki say him that he must run to dropshots, a little bit better volley and slice, anyway it is old A-Rod, but with better tactically playing.

«Ivan»
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I think he's got a shot at taking out Djokovic (if Nole beats Baggy). No chance against Federer, Nadal or Murray though.

it was said just out of hatred.i mean you're right about nole but he has no chance against rafa 'n federer.baised on what he has no chance against murray?

let's face it>murray is not rafa or fed, he'd never been anywhere near to them.he has his momentum,he is using it wisely but that's it.Okay,you'd tell andy is better than nole, i'd say never.but nole is not in my sphere now.comparing rafa 'n fed with andy is insult for first two.
'n of course roddick CAN defeat murray.

as for me big 3 is past tense,now is(again)big 2.big 4 didn't exist.
for god sake murray has only cincy and madrid.take it easy scots.one davydenko schooled andy recently!

moon language
01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
He's definitely looking improved. More fitness and speed looks to be breeding confidence which impacts his whole game. Lets see what happens to him when the going gets tough before deciding it's a new Roddick.

El Legenda
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
he looks as fresh as ever, .

maybe because the season started 3 weeks ago?

Lullaby
01-25-2009, 07:41 PM
it was said just out of hatred.i mean you're right about nole but he has no chance against rafa 'n federer.baised on what he has no chance against murray?

let's face it>murray is not rafa or fed, he'd never been anywhere near to them.he has his momentum,he is using it wisely but that's it.Okay,you'd tell andy is better than nole, i'd say never.but nole is not in my sphere now.comparing rafa 'n fed with andy is insult for first two.
'n of course roddick CAN defeat murray.

as for me big 3 is past tense,now is(again)big 2.big 4 didn't exist.
for god sake murray has only cincy and madrid.take it easy scots.one davydenko schooled andy recently!

Did you not watch doha final - Arod played well and got destroyed and was made to look silly

«Ivan»
01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Did you not watch doha final - Arod played well and got destroyed and was made to look silly

yes,tennis started to play during the last summer.

i was talking something completely diff if you didn't notice.he just can't beat rafa or fed but - n e v e r! premiership. nole and andy are the first division.

LoveFifteen
01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
You have to respect Roddick for working so hard despite the fact that he has a lot less natural talent than the Big 4. I don't think he will win a Slam this year, but props to him for getting slimmer and taking on a new coach. We'll see what happens.

Lullaby
01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
You have to respect Roddick for working so hard despite the fact that he has a lot less natural talent than the Big 4. I don't think he will win a Slam this year, but props to him for getting slimmer and taking on a new coach. We'll see what happens.

I respect arods work ethic - I think he is missing something at the very top level but he is still quality

Stensland
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
pretty interesting article:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/string_theory/2009/01/squares.html

Butterfly Feet

"Is that Andy Roddick?" one onlooker asked, pointing to the shirtless American as he practiced with Larry Stefanki (his new coach) and two hitting partners on Court 4 today. The implicit question was, "Why in hell would Andy Roddick be doing that?"

Stefanki calls the game "squares." Imagine doubles, but all four men start inside the service lines, facing one another across the net. One player feeds the ball (softly) to any of the other three, including the player beside him, and a touch rally ensues (essentially, a series of half volleys). The ball can go over the net and even ricochet off the net on a bounce as long as it only bounces once (bounces over the net are not allowed). If the ball hits you or gets by you, or if you miss, you're saddled with a point. The first player to 10 loses (the other three men win).

Roddick and company played for a half hour or better this afternoon; Stefanki said he lost two games out of five--not bad for a 52-year-old playing with men half his age. Roddick doesn't lose, though he did collect seven points yesterday, a record high for him (remember, "high" equals "bad").

"It's just to get your feet moving," Stefanki said. "He likes it, it's a relaxing thing and it helps him around the net."

Stefanki did not invent squares--"It's been around forever," he said--and Roddick has played it for years. (When I told Stefanki that I had never played it before, he said, smiling as he pointed to my digital tape recorder, "That's why you're doing this." I can't argue with the man.) Even so, the purpose of the game indicates a new approach to coaching Roddick. As Stefanki put it, "I want him to have butterfly feet."

You've heard by now that Roddick lost about 15 pounds leading up to this tournament. For all the coaches and critics who have talked about what's best for Roddick--go the net more often and don't retreat behind the baseline, to name a few of the recommendations you've heard many times--none has ever given such a simple, and logical, method for effecting change. To cover more ground on the baseline, close the net more quickly, and shorten the court, a player ought to be fast and agile.

It's so obvious--at least, it is now that Stefanki has said it (like all first-rate coaches, Stefanki has a knack for uncovering obvious solutions that seem to elude everyone else). Here's what Stefanki wants Roddick to remember most: A smaller Roddick means bigger tennis.

"He was a pusher in the juniors," Stefanki said. "He was tiny and he grew seven or eight inches in a year. He says, 'I always fall back on that.' And I say, 'No, no, you're a big guy now.'"

What does Stefanki think of Novak Djokovic, Roddick's quarterfinal opponent on Tuesday afternoon? He's a fierce competitor and incredible mover with a backhand that is more solid and reliable than his dangerous forehand.

"[Roddick] needs to come to the net 45, 50 times," Stefanki said. "[Djokovic], he's a little more agile than Andy from the backcourt--I call him Gumby. That's good in tennis, that flexibility. He digs out a lot of balls back there."

Though Djokovic's movement is an asset, Stefanki also sees it as an injury risk, unless Djokovic improves his "body control."

"I've been around a long time," Stefanki said. "That power sliding, rolling your ankles, it's great when you're 21, but it's brutal on your joints."

---

and yes, he WILL beat nole.

leng jai
01-27-2009, 03:56 AM
So whats new? I'm watching him against Fakervic and he hasn't been on the offensive for a single baseline rally in the whole first set. Watching him 2 metres behind the baseline with with zero intent to attack is pretty mind numbing.

TheBoiledEgg
01-27-2009, 03:59 AM
0 FH winners and 0 BH winners in a TB set :spit: :haha:
how pathetic can one be.

croat123
01-27-2009, 04:05 AM
duck had the forehand set up for a winner....and missed :o

Serenidad
01-27-2009, 04:06 AM
have you seen him volleying recently? have you seen his slice? his movement? obviously people might disagree with my opinion that he could have quite a good season in 09, but you're simply wrong when you say that it's the "same old a-rod" these days. either you haven't watched him play so far or you're just a biased hater.

i'm not a fan either, don't get me wrong, and i don't even think he's a great tennis player - but i have to accept that he's obviously able to up the ante in several departments, which is something i wouldn't have believed a couple of months ago.

crisp volleys, deep slices and good movement have very little to do with the draw. either you're displaying those things or you're not, it's that easy, no matter who you're up against.

That's called looking better than you are against qualifiers and Boredo. Okay, so he had a little bit of form coming into the QFs. The things he was doing BADLY he is only doing slightly better.

Serenidad
01-27-2009, 04:07 AM
A new way to get his ass thoroughly outclassed by anyone with patience and good passing shots.

:worship:

crude oil
01-27-2009, 04:15 AM
roddick is hella dangerous if he sorts his brain out.

LoveFifteen
01-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Roddick continues to be mediocre from the baseline. It seems like he can only play defensively. If he goes for it, he misses. It's sad.

RagingLamb
01-27-2009, 04:46 AM
If you want to discuss the match, you can open a thread here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=987)

freeandlonely
01-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Where? The only change is his coach.

sheeter
01-27-2009, 05:17 AM
Actually yes, he's slimmed down considerably, in fact, he's reminding me a lot of his younger 2001 self, skinny, but powerful. However, unlike his younger self, his forehand's has some variation, his footwork is far superior, his defense is better, especially pace and spin on the run off the forehand, his backhand is more powerful and he can change directions better when given the opportunity (I'm not saying he's Nalbandian, but it certainly is an improvement), the volleys are impressive in the sense that they go in, don't sit up as much, and he isn't pushing them all long for once. He even hit some decent lower volleys.
What interests me the most is the slice though. The Roddick slice we know has no pace, no bite, doesn't stay low, looks awkward and ugly. However his current slice skids and isn't fluff.

dodoboy
01-27-2009, 06:52 AM
:banana:

Jimnik
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
He's fitter and sharper than he ever was last year. No question.

Beating Djoker will hopefully be the confidence boost he needs.

Chileno
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
A bit...will it be enough to threaten the top 3? I don't think so.

Stefanki did a similar thing with Golzalez...made him drop weight and he did move a lot faster. It helped Gonzo a lot and I'm sure Roddick will benefit from this. But it will only shorten the gap, I don't think Roddick has a backhand good enough to compete with the top guns.

adee-gee
01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Roddick's backhand passing shots have been extremely good, and were top class again today. It was Nadal-esque at times.

I was right that he'd beat Djokovic, I still can't see him doing much while hitting the way he does (off both sides) from the baseline. Gotta do much, much more with the forehand.

Henry Kaspar
01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
No. But a crisp and focussed Roddick is always dangerous.

Manila ESQ
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
0 FH winners and 0 BH winners in a TB set :spit: :haha:
how pathetic can one be.

That stat was horrible! During the first set, Andy was also playing so far back the baseline that it seemed he was playing there for the shade. At least, he got his fitness back, and was able to outlast the faker.

Fumus
01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Same ole' Roddick. Not that that is a bad thing, Roddick is a great champion. He's in form, something he wasn't for most of 08'.

ballbasher101
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Roddick gives tennis a bad name, the guy did not hit any winners in a first set which went to a tie break :o. Yes I do see a new Roddick the one who spends even more time closer to the line judges. Lucky for us Federer is going to knock Roddick out :).

xargon
01-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Fed will demolish the DICK and then Nadal will crush Fed.

Chileno
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Fed will demolish the DICK and then Nadal will crush Fed.

This.

LleytonMonfils
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
If anyone else isn't seeing a NEW Roddick you are fucking blind. Screw looking at his game, look at his fitness and speed. He's been able to track down balls he wouldn't have gotten to last year, some of these prolonging the point in which he eventually wins. The NEW Roddick is a fit Roddick.

Just like yesterday Andy was ready to go 12 rounds and Novak couldn't make it to 8.

Roddickominator
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Andy does look better than he has in a while...better movement and very solid from the backhand wing(by Andy standards, not saying much I suppose but he can at least rally with it and make a few passing shots).

But to compete consistently with the Big 3 he'll have to up his game...namely serve well and play much more aggressively in his return games. Though slimmer and faster than he has been in a while, he still lacks the quickness and consistently deep and penetrating groundstrokes to really trouble the big guns. If Andy gets more aggressive on returns, and stop looping the forehand so much....then he can pretty much maximize his potential as a player. Even then it'll be tough against a guy like Fed or others who can return his big serve, but he can be very dangerous for a few more years.

Stensland
01-28-2009, 05:37 PM
But to compete consistently with the Big 3 he'll have to up his game...namely serve well and play much more aggressively in his return games. Though slimmer and faster than he has been in a while, he still lacks the quickness and consistently deep and penetrating groundstrokes to really trouble the big guns.

that's probably true but on the other hand he won't be able to have any major effect on a god-mode fed - if he shows up tomorrow. unfortunately andy usually gets quite a beating if federer has one of those days. i'm not saying he's had one of them vs. del potro as i think del potro was just too weak that night. but these are the sort of matches that get roger "in the zone".

so if federer plays "ok" tomorrow, andy will have his chances - IF he serves well, attacks roger's backhand, moves well and decides to be a bit more pro-active than he normally is. if he decides to just retrieve and run and run and run, roger is gonna demolish him once again.

something tells me god-mode fed is not gonna show up tomorrow, so i guess roddick might be able to take a set or two.

kaylee
01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't - poor Andy!

bluefork
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
New Roddick 09 :rolls: Yeah, right.

Stensland
01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
bad match-up. move on, andy.

leng jai
01-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Still using his usual dumb ass net rush tactics.

FedFan_2007
01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
New year, same pwnage.

Montego
01-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Roddick hasn't made a single steop forward in comparison to the previous years. But I can judge it only by two matches of him I saw this year - vs Monfils and vs Fed.

Stensland
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Roddick hasn't made a single steop forward in comparison to the previous years. But I can judge it only by two matches of him I saw this year - vs Monfils and vs Fed.

what kind of weird judgement is that? :worship:

Jimnik
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
He played mostly very well but just didn't execute at the important moments. Still doesn't have his peak confidence but he's getting there.

kaylee
01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I was well impressed by the last two weeks. We haven't seen this Andy in quite a while. It bodes well for this year.

Andi-M
01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
His 1st serve on average seems less effective, i don't whether its poor placement or whether he's lost a few KMH on that shot.

His FH has half power it did 3-4 years ago. Volleys are slightly better I guess, it might be a new Roddick but it aint a better one.

Stensland
07-06-2009, 12:52 AM
i kinda like my opening statement. :) well, i don't know where he was hiding during some mm tournaments, but he sure shows up at the slams:

sf in melbourne
groundbreaking r16 in paris
f in london

so stefanki is able to have an effect that doesn't fade out after 2 months.

leng jai
07-06-2009, 01:04 AM
But too bad his volleys weren't all that crispy when he needed them most.

Lourdes
07-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Hopefully this is the case. Pleasantly surprised at the form Roddick showed. US Open? Maybe.

FedorEmelianenko
07-06-2009, 01:44 AM
I like Roddick but I am having trouble listening to his finals because john mcenroe doesnt seem to be able to comentate without roddicks dick in his mouth