"Baghdatis slams tennis draw" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Baghdatis slams tennis draw"

jeremda01
01-24-2009, 08:31 AM
read this article here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tennis/baghdatis-slams-tennis-draw/2009/01/24/1232471640695.html

i thought it was interesting.

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
"It's a bit of a pain in the arse for me because the last two years I'm here I'm finishing matches after midnight and after one o'clock"

anyone got a vid of this interview?

quote of the year. what a hero.

uNIVERSE mAN
01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
why don't they ever put the bitches on second?

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
why don't they ever put the bitches on second?

because everyone would go home when the real match was over

Junkyard Racket
01-24-2009, 12:47 PM

:lol:

Johnny Groove
01-24-2009, 01:01 PM

It's funny, but its 100% true :lol:

TJ20
01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
If they want equal prize money, they should be treated equally in terms of scheduling.

Put the women on 2nd on a rotating basis. If no one is there for the start of the match... it's a statement by the people of what they think of womens tennis in general. Recieving equal prize money when its so obvious the interest in their form of tennis is so inferior to the mens is criminal. They are digging into the pockets of the men in grand slams and they are quite simply taking advantage of that because they are women and treat this situation like the workplace of an office in the 1970's... when its 2 different things.

Inequality is criminal. But women recieving equal price money in tennis grand slams is criminal also.

GlennMirnyi
01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Put women to play at the parking lot, simple.

It's not like real tennis fans care about WTA.

finishingmove
01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
what really doesn't make sense is why ES (or any other channel) would show serena williams while there are men's matches on other courts.

WhataQT
01-24-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/01/24/1232471641679.html

Late matches 'pain in arse': Baghdatis

January 24, 2009 - 1:39PM

Melbourne Park favourite Marcos Baghdatis says it's a "pain in the arse" Australian Open organisers keep making him play midnight matches.

Incredibly, a year after featuring in the infamous dawn showdown with Lleyton Hewitt, Baghdatis was again ordered onto court after 11.30pm for another third-round encounter last night.

Baghdatis, the 2006 Open runner-up, lost to Hewitt in last year's epic five-setter that finished at 4.34am.

This time, the Cypriot with Australian connections beat American Mardy Fish 6-2 6-4 6-4, but again he was the last player to leave the locker rooms after their match ended at 1.14am.

And, ironically, the result for Baghdatis was the same as for Hewitt 12 months ago - a daunting fourth-round meeting with Novak Djokovic.

"I cannot say it's not a problem," Baghdatis said.

"It's a bit of a pain in the arse for me because the last two years I'm here I'm finishing matches after midnight and after one o'clock, we can say.

"So it's a bit of the pain in the arse, but I have nothing to do about it. It's just the way it is. I've got to accept it and find a way to get through it and that's where the challenge starts."

Baghdatis did not want to make a big deal out of his misfortune, accepting the scheduling is also difficult for Open director Craig Tiley, but said it would be impossible to catch up on sleep before taking on reigning champion Djokovic tomorrow.

"I will wake up normal because my eyes will be open at seven or eight o'clock like always with all the adrenaline and all the pressure," he said. "So I don't think I'll get a lot of sleep.

"I'm not complaining or stuff. I'm just saying it's tough for the players. It happens that it's me second time in a row.

"But it doesn't matter, that's the way it is. You have to accept things and find a way to make everything good."

Baghdatis arrived in Melbourne ranked a lowly 97th in the world after injuries limited the one-time No. 8 to just 12 tournaments last season.

But he is growing in confidence and doesn't view Djokovic as unbeatable.

"Slowly I'm winning matches, I'm fighting like an animal, working a bit hard and it pays off, so I'm pretty happy about that,'' Baghdatis said.

"I have nothing to lose now, just go on the court, play my tennis, try to win every point, find a solution and that's what I'm trying to do, so I'm very very happy.

"It's a grand slam. I'm very motivated for a grand slam, especially here in Melbourne.

"I feel like I have a grand slam at home with all the crowd and stuff.

"I set as an objective to pass the first week, so I guess the objective is a bit completed.

"So I'm pretty happy, but it's not finished. I know I'm in the fourth round playing against Djokovic, but I'll try to find a way to push him down and try to find a way to win the match.''

AAP

SaFed2005
01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
what really doesn't make sense is why ES (or any other channel) would show serena williams while there are men's matches on other courts.

ESPN loves the William "brothers". They would show a taped match of the William brothers over live mens tennis.
Then again we are talking about the US and ESPN here. They cut off tennis coverage to show us Women's college basketball or even worse little league baseball... I mean really little leave baseball? :rolleyes:

I don't question ESPN anymore and gave up on them when it comes to tennis.

scarecrows
01-25-2009, 11:22 AM
once again Baggy will finish a match after midnight

Andi-M
01-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Poor Baggy could be another 4am finish for him.

scoobs
01-25-2009, 11:36 AM
They've got to start re-considering their scheduling - starting night session at 7.30pm

You can no longer count on the women being done in an hour - this match will be 3 hours + when it's over.

CooCooCachoo
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Baghdatis and Djokovic will indeed not be happy :o

FairWeatherFan
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
They should just ditch the women's match from the night session altogether.

iriraz
01-25-2009, 11:40 AM
The first step would be to start the day matches one hour earlier and start the night session at something like 18:30 or when the day session ends if that goes longer.It`s hard for the players playing one night match and then two days later go on the court in the day session

Andi-M
01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
They should schedule 1st match for 6:30. And all slams should have 5th set TB, expect maybe in the final.

scarecrows
01-25-2009, 11:44 AM
They should just ditch the women's match from the night session altogether.

i like you thinking
although would be even better if they could ditch the women matches from the main courts

orangehat
01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
While of course we would all like to keep the matches short, sometimes it might be good to have 1 or 2 WTA matches. Of course, 1 or 2 only.

scarecrows
01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
10 minutes court interview while those fellas still wait in locker room

MatchFederer
01-25-2009, 11:57 AM
They've got to start re-considering their scheduling - starting night session at 7.30pm

You can no longer count on the women being done in an hour - this match will be 3 hours + when it's over.

Yeah, and now this match could potentially go on into the late hours.

FairWeatherFan
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
It's about 11 in Aus now...Baghdatis went on at 11.30 last night and around midnight against Hewitt last year. So I doubt it'll be as bad this time. Still, obviously he's a right to be unhappy.

Loremaster
01-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Roddick will be one with a big smile when this this match is over

Lullaby
01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Normally I would agree about the wta matches but that dokic match and story is :worship:

Tankman
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
They're not going to change the times of the sessions without Ch 7 getting on board - and it'll be hard to convince them to go for a 6:30pm night session start.

And there's no way Ch 7 would give up it's ratings boon by getting rid of the women's night match :o :help:

decrepitude
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Baggy does seem to keep getting the short straw. Just starting a fourth set at 1.45am. . .

Polikarpov
01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry to hear that from Baggy. Unfortunately though, there's no way in hell they're going to put the Dokic match in a smaller court. The Australians are crazy over her right now.

And I agree that the organizers shouldn't always assume that a women's match is going to finish in an hour.