Are there any flat hitters on the ATP Tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are there any flat hitters on the ATP Tour?

Rafa_Fan
01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I cant not recall a single guy who hits the ball flat. It seems like most men play with heavy top spin and not penetrating flat strokes.

So has there ever been a flat hitter? Is there one now?

scarecrows
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Martin Vassallo Arguello

El Legenda
01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Rick James.

EnriqueIG8
01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
The one in your signature, James Blake hits the ball pretty flat...doesn't he?

Rafa_Fan
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
The one in your signature, James Blake hits the ball pretty flat...doesn't he?

I always thought he hit with lots of spin.

MsTree
01-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Simon hits the ball pretty flat but can change it up if needs be :)

Sebby
01-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Connors, Agassi, Hrbaty, Soderling...

Andre♥
01-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Ivo Minar, Marc Gicquel, Robin Soderling

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Charlie Murphy.

Rafa_Fan
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Is there a reason that men hit with bucket loads of spin?

Iván
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Chokerling is the best example

CrossCourt13
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
From the top of my head...

Cilic, Grosjean, Blake, Korolev, Tipsarevic, Tsonga, Clement, Baghdatis, Fish, Gulbis, Soderling, Berdych,..

PiggyGotRoasted
01-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I cant not recall a single guy who hits the ball flat. It seems like most men play with heavy top spin and not penetrating flat strokes.

So has there ever been a flat hitter? Is there one now?

Have you ever watched anyone apart from nadal :confused:

Bobble
01-23-2009, 05:05 PM
stepanek, simon, clement, and others that have been mentioned. every player on tour hits with some kind of spin, this thread is pretty confusing.

fhiriburu
01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Jmdp

Rafa_Fan
01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Have you ever watched anyone apart from nadal :confused:

Yes I watch alot of mens tennis. But every time I watch mens tennis you see the rainbows over the net from the shots espiecially the forehands. I watch alot of womens tennis and they hit very flat no big rainbows over the net.

There are no men who hit monica seles, bartoli, sharapova flat?

Clydey
01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Stepanek off the forehand. The guy is incapable of generating top spin on the forehand wing.

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Stepanek off the forehand. The guy is incapable of generating top spin on the forehand wing.

Of course he is capable.

Players hit topspin with continental forehands in the 60s... :shrug:

scarecrows
01-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes I watch alot of mens tennis. But every time I watch mens tennis you see the rainbows over the net from the shots espiecially the forehands. I watch alot of womens tennis and they hit very flat no big rainbows over the net.

There are no men who hit monica seles, bartoli, sharapova flat?

wow, you were quick changing your signature

LeeD
01-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Men have too much power to keep the ball in the court with flat groundies, plain and simple.
Venus and Serena have too much also, so hit with topspin most of the time.
When you face strong topspins all the time, it's easier to return with the same.
And topspin, even hit a little short, can keep the opponent well away from the net.
Girls all started when they were little, so hit flat as a natural shot. As they grew to humongous heights (Sharapova), they retain the flat forehand, but need perfect body posture to keep the ball in play. Hard to keep perfect body posture when you're being run off the court by some strong hitter.

Rafa_Fan
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Men have too much power to keep the ball in the court with flat groundies, plain and simple.
Venus and Serena have too much also, so hit with topspin most of the time.
When you face strong topspins all the time, it's easier to return with the same.
And topspin, even hit a little short, can keep the opponent well away from the net.
Girls all started when they were little, so hit flat as a natural shot. As they grew to humongous heights (Sharapova), they retain the flat forehand, but need perfect body posture to keep the ball in play. Hard to keep perfect body posture when you're being run off the court by some strong hitter.

Seles had tons of power also but hit very flat same with Davenport. So from what you are saying its natural for women to hit flat? But men hit with spin?

kobulingam
01-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Seles had tons of power also but hit very flat same with Davenport. So from what you are saying its natural for women to hit flat? But men hit with spin?

Seles' power is nowhere near that of Serena's. You're talking about "pace." Pace is related to one component of the shots power - translational power. But there is another component - rotational power (which Seles imparted less of on the ball than Serena does now).

El Legenda
01-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Charlie Murphy.

darkness everybody, darkness in the house.

ORGASMATRON
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Korda just off the top of my head, im sure there was many others.

moon language
01-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Is there a reason that men hit with bucket loads of spin?

Control.

richie21
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Berdych,Soderling

Mateya
01-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Is this thread a joke?

Yes, they are. But you need top spin to make the ball land inside the court consistently. By development of hi-tec racquets and strings we already see more and heavier topspins than ten or fifteen years ago and some say future of the game will bring in generating even more power and spin (that means more Nadal's on the tour :tape:). Plus, adding spin brings more variety and quality into the game anyway.

Flat hitting is more supported by WTA, with those brainless ballbashing players.

Fumus
01-23-2009, 06:38 PM
No one, and I mean no one who was ever good at tennis in the history of the sport hit the ball without spin. Spin gives you control and adds difficulty for your opponent by making timing and tracking more difficult. I've played against and with people who hit the ball truly flat at the club level, those are like knuckle balls, the ball literally has no arc, it just goes whatever way the wind blows it, and has almost no rotation on it.

By flat you must mean without shape(as the Aussies call it). All players hit with spin, so when you say someone is a flat hitter this has nothing to do with the level of spin, the only thing that varies is the arc the ball takes when it's hit. Infact to flatten the ball out requires alot of spin for control. The level of arc on a ball has to do with the area and angle of the racquet face when it strikes the ball, this gives the ball more severe or less severe arcs. Today the modern player is capable of hitting many spins and arcs(flat or loopy). It is only the truly one dimensional player who hits the ball flat(without arc) all the time. More arc makes the shot higher percentage(room to get over the net, or take pace off the ball and still get it back deep so you can have more time to return to the center of the court) thus making loopy shots a valuable shot on defense or neutral play. Then you have players like a Nadal who hit those loopy shots very fast, making it an offensive weapon. Of course this is over simplified but, simply put a flat shot is an offensive shot in most cases used to take time away from an opponent by trading percentage for speed on the ball. A player is limited if they are unable to hit the ball in a variety of ways...

groundstroke
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Soderling, Gonzalez & Federer can flatten out their forehands incredibly, Roddick 2003ish, but at the moment no one hits flatter than James Blake.. the guy in your sig.

groundstroke
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Is this thread a joke?

Yes, they are. But you need top spin to make the ball land inside the court consistently. By development of hi-tec racquets and strings we already see more and heavier topspins than ten or fifteen years ago and some say future of the game will bring in generating even more power and spin (that means more Nadal's on the tour :tape:). Plus, adding spin brings more variety and quality into the game anyway.

Flat hitting is more supported by WTA, with those brainless ballshing players.

If you have complete control of your strokes, then you don't need to have loopy crap like Nadal or Gasquet, if you can control your FH completely, like Henman, your flat shot can be destructive, especially on grass and hard court. This is why he knocked out Federer in 2001 in Wimbledon, and why he had a decent career.

Brainless ball bashing players? 3 players in your sig "bash the ball", but they have more to their game.

Mateya
01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
If you have complete control of your strokes, then you don't need to have loopy crap like Nadal or Gasquet, if you can control your FH completely, like Henman, your flat shot can be destructive, especially on grass and hard court.

Brainless ball bashing players? 3 players in your sig "bash the ball", but they have more to their game.

Yes, but that kind of game is quite risky. ;) And by slowing down all possible surfaces thesedays, flat shot isn't such a weapon anymore. :shrug: Which is a pity, of course.
By "you need top spin" I didn't mean Nadal spin, just ordinary topspin for some control. Because Henman, when he was in lets say mediocre form, could smack those forehands in the middle of the net or 2 meters out.
Who of my signature players bashes the ball? Maybe Seppi and Mathieu from time to time? :)
I hope you agree that WTA is really onedimesional (look at Ivanovic or Sharapova). :o

meihaditalab
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Gonzo's BH :)

zicofirol
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
no one has mentioned benjamin becker...

Mateya
01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Gonzo's BH :)

Could be, but it's a rare shot to see, since he tends to use the slice 90% of the time. :lol:

What about Pioline? :wavey:

JMG
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Peter Gojowczyk is a typical flat hitter.

Kalinikos
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Pistol Pete had a pretty flat eastern forehand if i remember.

Burrow
01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Marat Safin???

PiggyGotRoasted
01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Davydenko, and he is one of the most consistant players aswell.

FedFan_2007
01-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Soderling, Gonzalez & Federer can flatten out their forehands incredibly, Roddick 2003ish, but at the moment no one hits flatter than James Blake.. the guy in your sig.

And for all that super-flat hitting, James has 0 MS titles, 0 Grand Slams and 0 TMC titles! :worship::worship::worship: All hail super-flat hitters!

leng jai
01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Typical clueless thread from a rafatard.

MalwareDie
01-23-2009, 08:10 PM
And for all that super-flat hitting, James has 0 MS titles, 0 Grand Slams and 0 TMC titles! :worship::worship::worship: All hail super-flat hitters!

Blake is a terrible excuse of a player and shouldn't be in the top 20.

Tutu
01-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Most men are so strong that they can still hit the ball hard and play with heavy topspin, it is much tougher to return a 90mph heavy topspin shot which will literally take your arm off if you aren't in the right position rather than returning a 90mph flat shot. So most players don't need it. Simon is one of the main hitters and its no surpise because of how thin he is. Women are 9/10 flat ball strikers because their bodies aren't strong enough to put heavy topspin on the ball and still make it move fast, its got nothing to do with ballbashing. Trust me, if every woman tried to play like the men, the WTA would rewind back 20 years to when it was just a bunch of moonballers.

groundstroke
01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Blake is a headcase, often throwing away matches which he really should have won, he has if not the worst, one of the worst 5 set records out there, something like 0-9 or something.

I didn't suggest that hitting flat means you're the best or most successive.

FedFan_2007
01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Let's see super-flat hitters(Blake, Berdych, Safin, Gonzalez) = 2 slams
Top-spin monkeys(Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) = 19 slams

'Nuff said.

Frederick16
01-23-2009, 09:16 PM
sanguinetti was a very oldschool flat hitter

richie21
01-23-2009, 09:28 PM

'Nuff said.

super-flat hitters(Agassi,Sampras) = 22 slams
top-spin monkeys(Federer,Nadal,Djokovic)= 19 slams

'Nuff said :p

i know,different era.......

scarecrows
01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
super-flat hitters(Agassi,Sampras) = 22 slams
top-spin monkeys(Federer,Nadal,Djokovic)= 19 slams

'Nuff said :p

i know,different era.......

different era which hasnt ended yet :tape:
in 2 years than number will be more than 22 for sure

out_here_grindin
01-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Delic

Rafa_Fan
01-23-2009, 10:17 PM

'Nuff said.
I dont consider Fed a top spin monkey he and henin had very similar forehand. They put just enough spin on their strokes. IMO Djokovic hits semi-flat for a guy.