Safin? over and out? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin? over and out?

jeremda01
01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Will this be Safin's last Australian open? or can he squeeze another in?

EnriqueIG8
01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
He already told everyone he will retire at the end of 2009 so this is a pointless thread.

HeretiC
01-23-2009, 01:50 PM
http://mahopa.de/bilder/funny-forum-pictures/no-hope-for-this-thread.jpg

JolánGagó
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
This thread is unnecessarily poisoning our hearts with a tsunami of ill feelings, we're gonna break some rackets soon.

Mods, please close this thread as soon as you can and move it to Dinara's forum, thank you.

Sebby
01-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Tennis is for midgets. Safin already signed a contract with the UFC.

ad-out
01-23-2009, 05:11 PM
He already said he isn't going to come back next year.. I just hope he keeps playing the rest of the season and has some good results!

safinalium
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Will this be Safin's last Australian open? or can he squeeze another in?

yes, it's his last. he confirmed it in the post-match interview.

Certinfy
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
:(... This is sad news. Hopefully he can get to a semi at least in a GS this year tho. :). Might make me feel better about him quitting.

KarlyM
01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Bud Collins predicted last night that Safin is not going to retire - and since 99.999999999999999999999999999% of Bud's predictions are wrong, Marat is definitely retiring this year. :lol:

Safin_Lover
01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
He almost lost his interest after 2005. Wimby'08 was the only exception.

FedFan_2007
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Safin will be missed. He's one of those flat hitters that can give Roger the sweats. I like that. Also given Roger's 10-2 record against Marat I had hoped he would continue for a while...

L James
01-23-2009, 11:29 PM
“I don’t like this bye-bye part,” the 2005 champion said with a shrug.

“It’s just a sad story. It’s not for me. I prefer to leave this way, quietly, nice, with a great match.

“Unfortunately, I couldn’t do better than that, three sets.

“But anyway, I lost today probably to the better player, one of the greatest ones in the history of tennis. I really hope for him to be so I can tell the story to my kids that I played with him. I think it’s a nice story.

“He’s the most complete tennis player in the history of tennis, that’s for sure. With all due respects to (Andre) Agassi and (Pete) Sampras and the rest of the gang. But I never felt so uncomfortable against any of the players before.”

The former world number one was drawn on his fond memories of the first grand slam of the year.

“I had some ups and downs here,” he said.

“One disappointment. Another great year. One final against Roger. And then one title I took here beating also Roger and (Lleyton) Hewitt.

“So I’ve been playing some great tennis. So just the whole thing, the whole setup. The beautiful city, great people.

“It’s always nice to come here every year, year after year. Unfortunately, I doubt it’s going to ever happen again.

“I’ve been already too many years. I want to change and do something else. I’m ready for that.

“It’s been a nice trip. It’s enough.”

Thanks for the memories, Marat :yeah:

Definitely featured in a lot of my favourite Aussie Open moments.

Mimi
01-24-2009, 02:56 AM
he actually is not very old, just a year older than Fed, feeling nostalgic, the once 5 promising youngstars: roger/Marat/Ferrero/Hewitt/Roddick, all went downhill except roger, even though I am not his fans, have to admire roger's persistency and he is hardworking, only him last forever :worship: