AO R3: Djokovic def. Delic 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R3: Djokovic def. Delic 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6

jeremda01
01-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Great match to watch.

Played in great spirit.

asmazif
01-23-2009, 03:51 AM
That match killed me. Now finally off to bed.

~Maya~
01-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Yes!

docking34
ehh. pretty good match nonetheless didnt want djok to win.

*Ljubica*
Thanks God! It's 5.00am here now, and I was so scared he would lose :awww:

Congrats Nole - hard match. And goodnight :)

Andi-M
01-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Was it?
I thought it was full of errors and poor play Nole dosen't look too clever anyone slightly better than Delic would have beat him.

Clydey
01-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Really enjoyable match. Delic was pretty fun to watch. Much closer than I expected it to be.

asmazif
01-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Haha, yeh, 5 to 5 here. 'Night.

rafa_maniac
What a retarded tiebreak from Delic, errors, errors and second serves. :o Did Nole just ask the crowd to support him more? :spit:

MIMIC
Great clutch serving from both. Novak seemed to be inspired by the tiebreak. He spent the whole match playing too defensively.

cocrcici
01-23-2009, 03:55 AM
:o:(:mad:

Lee
Thumbs up for Delic. I watched a few of his matches before. This one is leaps and bounces above those.

Good that Novak kept his cool and hang tight. Experience and patience won thru in the TB.

MagicMilan
Delic has a scary serve :eek: thank God it didn't go to 5 sets
Well done Novak, not too good but a win's a win. Btw, he's becoming a pusher more and more :( WTF was that Nole? :(

Corey Feldman
most predictable boring GS ever this one

StZox
01-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Great match to watch.
Delic's serve was on fire. He played the second set as a Top5 player.
Djokovic returns pretty well and managed to deal with Amer's strong serve.

Good luck Nole in the next round!

finishingmove
well not the best match tennis-wise, but delic won that 2nd set and the crowd got behind him, so i guess that made it interesting

Voo de Mar
Good match Delic :yeah:
What a pity that a player with his potential plays mainly in the Challenger events. He should have been a regular ATP player.

moonlightdance
01-23-2009, 03:57 AM
SO close to that 5th set, Delic! Not the cleanest match ever, but still fun to watch

~*BGT*~
:awww: :awww: :awww:

GlennMirnyi
Lucky TB.

Delic should have at least made it into the fifth set.

why,marat,why?
01-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Banger of a match. I was pulling for Delic, but congratulations for pulling through this one.

docking34
still boring. novak aint that great that you all make him out to be.

Jagermeister
Anybody saw the spectacle outside the stadium, where apparently Serb and Bosnian fans were throwing lawn chairs at each other? Pathetic display.

The match was fun but pretty sloppy. Djokovic's form is not looking that impressive to me.

Running:Free
Spirited play from Delic in the second and fourth set.

Good to see both guys being able to appreciate each other :yeah: Kudos to them for keeping it clean, and respectful.

l_mac
01-23-2009, 04:03 AM
I thought Delic played very well. Last Saturday he lost two love sets to Mayer :tape:

Nole was very grumpy and shouty. I'm pretty sure his language would have got him a warning if he'd done it in English. Classy guy all round :hearts:

I thought Delic deserved to take it to a 5th, but it was never in doubt that Nole would win. There are reasons the top players are where they are, and winning whilst not being on top form is one of them.

The friendly exchange of challenges late in the 4th was nice :yeah:

nkhera1
01-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Not a good sign that Djokovic got pushed so hard by a lucky loser.

Voo de Mar
01-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Wimbledon '07: Djokovic def. Delic 6-3 3-6 6-3 7-6(4)
Australian Open '09: Djokovic def. Delic 6-2 4-6 6-3 7-6(4)

:spit:

sheeter
01-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Really enjoyed Delic's style of play. Its always a pleasure to watch a nice one handed backhand. I hope to see more of him in the future

Jōris
01-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Sign of a champion when you can play badly but still win.

Delic played well and if he wears a cardigan and a smug smile, he'll win a Roger Federer lookalike contest with ease.

RagingLamb
01-23-2009, 04:12 AM
Novak held it together in that 15-40 game at the end.

Delic definitely has a lot of potential.

ChinoRios4Ever
01-23-2009, 04:13 AM

:lol:

finishingmove
01-23-2009, 04:20 AM
someone is eating posts :haha:

Xristos
01-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Delic had his chances.

JimmyV
01-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Awesome match, lot of fun too watch. Too bad Delic couldn't take out Djoke though.

vincayou
01-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Excellent player this Delic. WTF with his ranking ?

Fee
01-23-2009, 04:35 AM
Well done Amer, good week for you. Please carry this through the year.

Novak, keep playing like that and you will be #4. You squeaked that one out.

Fee
01-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Excellent player this Delic. WTF with his ranking ?

Amer has a ton of talent. His brain needs work.

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2009, 04:46 AM

x 2.

BalkanBoy
01-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Noleeeee that was hard to watch

Deivid23
01-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Nole must be some Houdini´s relative

vidanhv
01-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Poor game by Nole. Defensive, far from the lines, bad moving, often on a wrong leg... Guess it wasn't his day, or simply Delic made things not to go as planned, which obviously irritates Novak a lot. He will have to do much better if he thinks to save at least some points.

gambit84
01-23-2009, 05:14 AM
and another match for Nole won in more then three sets, not the best version of the serbian player even if Delic was really good.
The problem is we cannot see the best version of the Serbian player from one year ago imo

«Ivan»
01-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Thumbs up for Delic. I watched a few of his matches before. This one is leaps and bounces above those.

Good that Novak kept his cool and hang tight. Experience and patience won thru in the TB.

as usual every word you write is golden.great guy delic,really,obama/jerry has great chance to learn something.nole..i hope he was calm as it seemed.that's a good thing.but i agree with some of you who told that wasn't such good match(eurosport comm. were delighted???).as for delic yet another proof ranking means nothing.he has tennis school in university,we all know how tough his life was,why he changed his name (i would too-similar life).

«Ivan»
01-23-2009, 06:18 AM

he is 26+,he leeds tennis school so i wouldn't expect much more amer in future.i know he does't want much more.great guy who play tennis for fun('n some money).

btw,amer 'n fed like twins.same nose,same chin.the only diff is amer is handsome guy.

Machiavelli
01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Delic and the forhand misshit at 5-4* 40-30*, too bad...

Caio_Brasil
01-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Wow Voo, you really manage to come with an outstanding stat when we aren't expecting :worship:

HeretiC
01-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I was not impressed with the quality of the match, but it was enjoyable at certain moments. Djokovic should have done better job, but considering that against big servers is always tough and a difference makes a point here and there, he did fine. However he is still far way from his level from last year AO. He choses to play more safe shots and less offensive comparing to what he used to, which sometimes produces good results when his game is not on top, but that kinda make him lost his edge. That might work against lower ranked players, but he will need that edge back against players like Federer, Nadal, Murray.

P.S Amer really surprised me with an excellent execution of backhand smash. That is the toughest shot and he made few of those with such an ease and confidence.

CooCooCachoo
01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
I was also not too impressed with the level of play, but that was to be expected with Amer's hit-or-miss game style.

Loved the sportsmanship in here. Amer's attitude on court is something a lot of players can learn from.

ORGASMATRON
01-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Delic was impressive first time i saw him play, he should have done a lot better in tennis. Nole did well to limit this one to four.

partygirl
01-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Get on Television more often Amer!:)

CooCooCachoo
01-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Delic was impressive first time i saw him play, he should have done a lot better in tennis. Nole did well to limit this one to four.

It's impossible to be consistent with his game. He will have some good wins in his career, and many bad losses. Don't see him as Top 100 material year-in, year-out. Today's match was a good illustration of that as well.

ORGASMATRON
01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
It's impossible to be consistent with his game. He will have some good wins in his career, and many bad losses. Don't see him as Top 100 material year-in, year-out. Today's match was a good illustration of that as well.

Why? He has a big game but he's got good technique and a complete player. Reminds me a lot of Fed actually. He should be in the top 100 easily. If you can take Nole to four really tough sets i dont care how incosistent you are you should be top 100 at least.

On another note thank got Ivanovic missed a sitter on break point at the net :lol: Unbelievable how women choke in tennis :eek: Hopefully she can keep it up so i can watch the GOAT against Safin :worship:

cobalt60
01-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Good playing by Amer :yeah: Now take the experience and keep playing well!
Nole :hatoff:

karadjordje
01-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Well done Novak you are one step closer, this was a warm up match for you .

HattonWBA
01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Good match but inevitable result, just hope Marocs beats Novak in the next round

Venle
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I saw only the crucial games of the final set.

The tie-break :hearts:

VolandriFan
01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Impressive match. Chairs were flying everywhere.

tnosugar
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Delic has a scary serve :eek: thank God it didn't go to 5 sets
Well done Novak, not too good but a win's a win. Btw, he's becoming a pusher more and more :( WTF was that Nole? :(

agree there. The top flight will nail him with this kind of game. He can't beat Raf, Fed or Andy with this kind of complacency. I still believe he needs a new coach who will work on tactics, volleying and point construction with him.

Ad Wim
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Clip of fighting between Bosnians and Serbs, pathetic:

http://www.depers.nl/video/306753/Potje-tennis-loopt-uit-op-matpartij.html

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Who cares if Delic can beat or not the top 5. Big deal, what matters is his game is awesome and he's a great guy on court.

By the way, his serve must be one of the most perfect on tour, technically. It's up there with Federer's.

CooCooCachoo
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Why? He has a big game but he's got good technique and a complete player. Reminds me a lot of Fed actually. He should be in the top 100 easily. If you can take Nole to four really tough sets i dont care how incosistent you are you should be top 100 at least.

On another note thank got Ivanovic missed a sitter on break point at the net :lol: Unbelievable how women choke in tennis :eek: Hopefully she can keep it up so i can watch the GOAT against Safin :worship:

He was well within the Top 100, but plummeted out, because he cannot get consistently good results. Because his game is so risky, on bad days he is really, really bad and will lose to almost anyone.

I think his ranking will always fluctuate between 50-150, with on his best days beating Top 10 players (e.g. Davydenko in 2007), and on his worst days losing to pretty much any Challenger player.

Henry Chinaski
01-23-2009, 03:28 PM

haha. good throw by the first guy. poor chick got absolutely flattened by a plastic chair.

bunch of pussies. Some Alf Stewart steps between them and they all run away. too good Alf.

Voo de Mar
01-23-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't know what to do to avoid those pathetic situations :o

tangerine_dream
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Such a happy, fun slam for the family.

gmak
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
nole :yeah: :D :)

Delic has a huge serve :scared:
good that it didn't go the distance

ORGASMATRON
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
He was well within the Top 100, but plummeted out, because he cannot get consistently good results. Because his game is so risky, on bad days he is really, really bad and will lose to almost anyone.

I think his ranking will always fluctuate between 50-150, with on his best days beating Top 10 players (e.g. Davydenko in 2007), and on his worst days losing to pretty much any Challenger player.

Fair enough i guess, i havnt seen him enough to make a judgement. But still why cant he become more consistent? He just needs to work on that, maybe go for less or something. He really has an awesome game.

Lee
01-23-2009, 08:34 PM

Did you watch the first set of the match? Amer played like that MOST OF THE TIME from all his previous matches I had watched. The way he played in 2nd and 3rd set plus most of the 4th set is not the "norm" for him.

He also had injury issue last year, that's why he's out of top 100.

Fair enough i guess, i havnt seen him enough to make a judgement. But still why cant he become more consistent? He just needs to work on that, maybe go for less or something. He really has an awesome game.

Yes, he has a really awesome game ;) But without consistency, it's really difficult to go anywhere. Like many of those headcase players I like :lol:

KarlyM
01-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Nice work, Delic! :yeah: He gave Djokovic a bit of a scare. That was a fun match to watch. :)

Arkulari
01-23-2009, 10:08 PM
a 4-setter for Djoker in HC? :unsure:

gusman890
01-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I thought Amer played well. He started off inconsistant to lose the first set 6-2. He picked up early with some good returns and great forehands to get the break @ 3-2 and just hold all the way with his huge serve.

Amer should be in the top 100 at least. He is just as talented and as solid as msot of the players within the top 100. No reason he should be stuck playing challengers the rest of his career.

Corey Feldman
01-24-2009, 01:24 AM
f'en horrible nationalistic hooligans, time they evolved

as for the match, lucky one Nole

Aloimeh
01-24-2009, 01:42 AM
I don't know what to do to avoid those pathetic situations :o

Heavy fines and possibly sentences (community service?) on all the brawlers and kicking out the first bunch of idiots that begin bigoted chants/slogans. They should have a number of impartial speakers of the relevant languages (Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Spanish, whatever) on hand who know what is being chanted. One warning and if they repeat it - they're out. Any physical crap - fines and prosecutions.

Incidentally, it's well known that expatriates from the area are usually bigger nationalist idiots than people who actually live there. Usually because they only get "processed" victim/superiority info, whereas people who are "on the ground" have a better opportunity to get a more nuanced picture (e.g. stories that soldiers returning from the war tell) and even more of a chance to interact with their "enemy" people(s) and realize that there are decent people among them.

partygirl
01-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Who cares if Delic can beat or not the top 5. Big deal, what matters is his game is awesome and he's a great guy on court.

:rocker2:

Amer should be in the top 100 at least. He is just as talented and as solid as msot of the players within the top 100. No reason he should be stuck playing challengers the rest of his career.:rocker2::rocker2:

My DVR recorded duplicates of this match then i deleted without watching:sad::bigcry:

Fee
01-24-2009, 02:09 AM
as for delic yet another proof ranking means nothing.he has tennis school in university,we all know how tough his life was,why he changed his name (i would too-similar life).

Changed his name? What was his name before? Do you mean changed countries?

By the way, his serve must be one of the most perfect on tour, technically. It's up there with Federer's.

He's a pretty good guy off court. The families that he has stayed with on the Challenger tour practically worship him. You'll never hear Amer say a word about it, but when other players tell you about it, in awe, you know that you are dealing with an impressive, well mannered man. His parents have a lot to be proud of.

Justin made a nearly identical comment about his serve (on almost every point, it seemed...)

Part of the reason Amer dropped out of the Top 100 was the excessive sweating problem he had (which he took care of with fairly risky surgey). I think another part of it is that he was far too aware of his points. One year he goes through the fall US circuit and wins or makes the finals of 3 tournaments. The following year, he plays that same group of events, knowing that he has to defend, and he bombs out early in all of them. He admits that he gets too emotionally involved in things like that and practically defeats himself before he walks on court. If he could find a way to block out everything and just think about the one point in front of him right now, he might find more success.

I agree with the rest of your comment, he is probably going to be in that ranking range until his career is over.

Yes, he has a really awesome game ;) But without consistency, it's really difficult to go anywhere. Like many of those headcase players I like :lol:

Hallelujah for our headcases, they make it interesting. And frustrating. Following Amer is almost like following Safin. Almost. (Safin can keep a coach longer).

Arkulari
01-24-2009, 02:10 AM
at this rate, there'll be a need for a Tennis Spectators Act, like the one done for football (soccer):rolleyes:

http://www.glin.gov/view.action?glinID=213164

at least the ones that are politically charged like this one :unsure: