Tsonga def. Ljubo 6/7,7/6,7/6,6/2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tsonga def. Ljubo 6/7,7/6,7/6,6/2

Machiavelli
01-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Excellent match, Ljubo played out of his skin untill the fourth, Tsonga too much power in the end...

TheBoiledEgg
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Jo-Wilfried :banana: :D

Ljubo won one more match than he should at a slam :lol:

Ad Wim
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Terrific match, by far the best I've seen so far, and I've seen some ;)

Negative thing is that it looked like Tsonga was hurting, not only his back but also his thigh and hamstring/buttocks. And the ends he wasn't that jumpy and excited anymore, hope that wasn't because he already knew it's not good :|

HeretiC
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Great effort from Ljubo, I did not think he would even have a chance in this match and it was so close. But this match was over when he failed to convert those 2 SPs on his serve in the 3rd set TB at 6:3.

IAMlegend
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I've no idea what Lube was doing in the fourth. Maybe he ran out of steam. They were tied 2-2 then got broken at love. Then Tsonga held at love. Lube got broken again, then T blanked him again to serve out the match. WTF?

Tsonganator
01-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Unbelievable high quality match. That 3rd set tie-break, jo down 3 set points, 2 on ljubo's serve, 2 drop shots in a row, chip lob, unbelievable. Murray should be very afraid, Tsonga's right around the corner waiting to unleash another 70+ winners.

green25814
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Great match!

Both guys were amazing, although ljubo fell away in the fourth.

The third tie break was insane!

Voo de Mar
01-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice effort Ljubo (setpoints wasted in two tie-breaks) :yeah: Probably one of his last matches in those circumstances at that level.

Blarghman
Good job by Ljubo, just looked like he had very little left in the tank in the final set, but hopefully his good play will be a positive sign for the year to come :)

Good match from Tsonga as well, hopefully he will keep on track for that matchup with Murray :yeah:

Snoo Foo
I haven't seen Ljuby play like that in years, sux he ran out of steam, he was really outplaying tsonga for a lot of the match but not when it really counted I guess. Tsonga was clutching at his back/butt in the 3d... :unsure: oy I hope this is a sign ljuby's gonna have a better year than last year.

:bigclap: to JW for gutting it out in the 2d & 3d tbs, I think Ljuby had sps in both those tbs but JW was ice cold.

Mĺnu
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
The decider was the amazing 3rd set tie-break where Tsonga came back with great shots from being down 3-6. Ljubo then lost the will to fight and couldn't hold the level he had in the first three sets. I hope Jo remains fit for the next game, it would be interesting to see a quarter against Murray.

El Legenda
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
thats the closest you can come to winning and not win...Ljubo had set pt in the 2nd TB and **6-3 in the 3rd set. good news for Ljubo fans is it looks like he has alot of game left.
61 winners for Ljubo...

at *6-4 in the 3rd TB...Ljubo hit a serve down the tee...Tsonga stock his racquet out and returned it to the baseline...unlucky for Ljubo...everyone knew the match was over in 4.... with either one winning that 3rd set.

Pts won after 3 sets..Ljubo 122 Tsonga 119.

3 set was great play by both..Ljubo 22winners 10UE..Tsonga 20winners 8 UE

Commander Data
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
You Tsonga Fanboys should calm down. Tsonga is not the next Federer and he won't go much further this year. no chance against Murray. He is a talented ballbasher a la Safin that is prone that injuries. He can deliver some nice winners but he certainly won't win any Slams.

Tsonganator
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't call that point unlucky seeing as how Jo knew he would need a chip lob after follwing in the drop shot.
and Commander, certainly won't win any slams? Well considering he was a finalist last year and got to a 4th set tibreak, thats a ridiculous statement, not to mention his improvement since then. He is not Federer, he's the Tsongonator. Ballbasher? Because he has powerful accurate strokes? Its clear that every one of his shots has an intended purpose, wether on defense or offense, to gain the upperhand in the point. Unlike Nadal and others, a very small % of his shots are to just continue the rally for an opponents error. This is similar to what one of the bloggers over here said after watching him in Brisbane.

El Legenda
01-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't call that point unlucky seeing as how Jo knew he would need a chip lob after follwing in the drop shot.

Tsonga hit a lot of lines in that TB...at *1-3..the forehand crosscourt was in by 1/4 of a ball

Commander Data
01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
and Commander, certainly won't win any slams? Well considering he was a finalist last year and got to a 4th set tibreak, thats a ridiculous statement, not to mention his improvement since then. He is not Federer, he's the Tsongonator. Ballbasher? Because he has powerful accurate strokes? Its clear that every one of his shots has an intended purpose, wether on defense or offense, to gain the upperhand in the point. Unlike Nadal and others, a very small % of his shots are to just continue the rally for an opponents error. This is similar to what one of the bloggers over here said after watching him in Brisbane.

I think last year was as close to a Slam as he will get. His body is just too injury prone. How mayn times did he touch some parts of his body with pain in his face just this match?! If he can't play healthy for a longer time period I highly doubt he can compete with the Top 4. To say he plays better then last year is simply sham.....
I really didn't see so much finesse in his Game either. He likes to go for the winners. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...Not enough for Murray.

Ad Wim
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
You Tsonga Fanboys should calm down. Tsonga is not the next Federer and he won't go much further this year. no chance against Murray. He is a talented ballbasher a la Safin that is prone that injuries. He can deliver some nice winners but he certainly won't win any Slams.

Who is saying here that he is going to win slams then? :rolleyes:

This was just a terrific match and Tsonga is almost always a joy to watch. He is definitely an enrichment to tennis. And if you can Paris the way he did, why not a slam in the future? I'm not saying he is, but he is still young and can improve a lot.

He is number 7 at the moment and missed half of last year, that must say something...

oranges
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
What a great match, props to both players.
Ljubo in his 2005/2006 form. I really didn't see that one coming. :worship: Hope it's a sign of a good season.
Jo, definition of clutch saving those SPs in TB. :worship: Keep going and going.

Tankman
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
That was a pretty intense match, considering from form this was set to be a straight sets whitewash. Ljubo was playing amazingly well for so much of that, but Tsonga hung in there and came through in the end.

Tsonga should make the QF at least... will be interesting to see what happens if the rematch with Murray comes to fruition.

finishingmove
01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
battle of the broken backs

:lol:

good job jwt

Bilbo
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
this wilfred is good

Caio_Brasil
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Ljubo :sad: he should have closed that 3rd set out.

But good for Jo-Wilfried :yeah:

vincayou
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Excellent JoWillie. :yeah:

Ljubo played really well, until the 4th. Could have gone either way. Hopefully Tsonga's back is ok, he'll discover that soon when his body colds.
Murray and Tsonga seem on collision course. Mouth watering prospect.

aussie_fan
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Probably the ebst quality at AO I saw there this week. Ljubo played veryw ell int he first 3 sets, actually hitting his groundies quite well. Once, Tsonga save those 3 SP's and won the set it was over and Ljubo's game collapsed.

richie21
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
The mark of a true champion is generally how he can suddenly step up his level on important points.
If that's true then Tsonga once again proved in this match that he is a true champion.

blank_frackis
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Whilst the level of tennis was high, I do worry about Tsonga's injury. He was visibly stiff at the start of the match and you wonder whether he can do that another 3/4 times in a short period of time. It's also got to have some lasting damage - playing with pain almost always does, particularly back pain.

Fumus
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
:sad::sad::sad: Llubo. *Sarcasm alert*

Tennisman82
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Jo-Wilfried :banana: :D

Ljubo won one more match than he should at a slam :lol:

LOL!

This guy just can’t bring his best to slams, countless 1r losses and just a handful of QFs and SFs. Though Tsonga is a tough opponent for anybody, Ljubicic has a pathetic record in slams. If you want to see his best tennis, you’ll have to watch him at the TMS tournaments and lesser events.

Anyway, I think he’s pretty talented and enjoy watching his game!

Tennisman82.

maf
01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Highest quality match so far, I didn't know Ljubicic was such a clever player. 3rd set tiebreak was amazing. Now let's see about Jo's health :sad:

Experimentee
01-22-2009, 04:04 PM
It was great to be there and probably the best match I saw all week. The tiebreaks were so tense and the crowd were going nuts when Tsonga made his comeback in the 2nd and 3rd set tiebreaks. Both guys played so well and I hope Tsonga will recover in time for his next matches, particularly the potential match against Murray.

Deathless Mortal
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Too bad I didn't see the match :awww:
I'm glad you all say Ljubo played really good and I hope it wasn't just this match and that he'll play like this the rest of the season, but being the winner in the end.
Too bad he had Tsonga, seems like he'd beat a lot of other players...
this was so damn close :sad:

tangerine_dream
01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Tsonganator :worship:

Crazy Girl
01-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Good match to see...very amusing tie breaks.
:sad::sad:For you, Lijubo....(handsome man...;);))

The_Nadal_effect
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Match of the week so far among the mens draw.

It actually deserved a five-setter. Ivan was leading the tie-breaks in both the 2nd and 3rd set. He had three MPs in the third set tie-break. Lost all steam in the fourth and Jo clinched it.

Though the match of the day was from the womens section with Carla Suarez Navarro playing very intelligent tennis to keep Venus behind the baseline. Her backhand had such lovely variations in speed and depth! Got Venus flummoxed.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the prediction, Nostradamus. :rolleyes:

El Legenda
01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
after 3 sets both had 60winners and 30UE and 16 aces...both had some great net play and drop shots. Ljubo was hitting FH winners :lol:

in the 2nd set Ljubo had his classic moment..*0-40 and 3 big serves to save it.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Great stuff from Ljubo. Hope to see him playing well again this year. :D

ballbasher101
01-22-2009, 08:42 PM
It was a very tight match with great play from both players. I was surprised at how Tsonga fought back to win the third set tie break. If Murray meets Tsonga I suspect that there will be blood, I am drooling at the prospect of a Muzza Tsonga rematch :drool:

Commander Data
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the prediction, Nostradamus. :rolleyes:

You are welcome sourpuss

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
You are welcome sourpuss

Maybe you'll understand better like this:

Nobody asked for your joke predictions. ;)

KarlyM
01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Didn't expect Ljuba to go toe-to-toe with Tsonga for 3 sets and take it to 4. :eek: It was a good match - hopefully this is a sign of better things to come for Ivan. :)

petar_pan
01-23-2009, 12:16 AM
ljubo came back.bravo ljubo(if you didn't see, ljubo is full of self-confidence).

Henry Chinaski
01-23-2009, 12:23 AM
That was the best match of the tournament.

Ljubo was ripping forehand winners out there and defending like Murray.
Tsonga looked strangely subdued for the first 2 sets and it wasn't until he recovered a minibreak in the 2nd set tiebreak that he started to get pumped up.

Not often you see a "dumb ball basher", knowing that he's getting outplayed from the back of the court, saving 2 set points on his opponent's serve with drop shots.

Unfortunate that Ljubo ran out of steam near the end but that's to be expected after such a long absence. He would have beaten anyone outside the top 10, and quite a few inside it, with that performance so he can take a lot of heart.