Rafa blogs from the Australian Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa blogs from the Australian Open

Castafiore
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
There's a good chance that nobody gives a damn :o :D but for the few who are interested, Rafa is blogging again. He's blogging for the Herald Sun and for The Times (and for a Spanish newspaper as well).

Edit: I'll post the links again for WG. :hug:

Herald Sun
1. Blog (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24930397-3162,00.html)
2. Q&A (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24930430-11088,00.html)

The Times
1. Blog (pretty much the same as in in the Aussie newspaper) (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/01/gday-from-melbo.html)
2. Q&A (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/01/questions-for-r.html)

El Mundo

elmundo.es - Rafa Nadal responde (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/01/abierto_australia/index.html)

Minn
01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Hilde.

tennizen
01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
:bounce: Looking for more clues to solve the mystery that Rafa represents:D

tennizen
01-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Herald Sun Blog

Rafa is hilarious as usual:rolleyes:

Rafa, what motivates you when you get up in the morning? Do you have any specific dreams that you work towards (e.g. staying No. 1, winning each grand slam, etc.) or do you simply live for and love tennis? Frederik

Hello Frederik. What motivates me is the fact that I am competing, that I am playing tennis, that I do what I like and that I have a chance on what I do.

I want to get better and become a better player and to win big tournaments like this one in Melbourne. This is really the motivation.

Hi Rafa, I am going to the tennis and hope to see you playing. My question is what do you like to do in your spare time? Langy

Hi Langy, never heard this name before. Nice. I like to do normal things for someone my age.

I love going fishing, being with my friends, being with my family at home, playing golf, You know, a different life.

Hola Rafa! I've always wanted to know why you pick your wedgie? Is it because it's part of your routine, or is it just a nervous habit? Good Luck, Keep fighting like you always do. Never give up! Mukuka

Hi Mukuka. Well, I would love not to do it but this is the way it is ... I hope you look more at my game.

Hi Rafa, I am a teacher, and I was wondering what your favourite subject was at school (other than physical education!), and did you ever get into trouble? Love and hugs, Sammy F

You know what, once I got an insufficient (they tell me it is like a D here) at physical education.

Someone should go and talk to that teacher today, right?

Hi Rafa, you always have two bottles of drinks near your chair. One has water but what does the other bottle have in it? Love Kaz

Both have water.

Hello Rafa! Good luck in the Australian Open, hoping it's your first hard court slam win. Have you ever watched an American football game? Do you have a favourite team for the our Super Bowl? Terrie, US

Yes I have - when we are in the states. I don't really have a favourite team.

Hi Rafa, it is great to have the tennis season with us once again. Since you spend most of the year travelling from place to place, packing and unpacking. I wanted to ask you this question: Have you ever left anything important behind in one of the hotels? Bee

Yes, I left not at the hotel but in the car going to the airport the trophy of the Acapulco tournament I won. I am still trying to get a copy.

You can also imagine that we were really late and in a hurry and since I normally travel with a lot of luggage we just didn't get it from the car.

Rafa, lots of love to you from a very cold Minnesota (-30). If you were not a tennis player, what would you be? Or what will you do when you retire from ATP? Evren

Minus 30, wow. This question of what would I be is something I have answered a few times. I think I would have liked to be a soccer (football) player but you never know.

I know I will not be that when I retire, to answer the second part of your question.

Hi Rafa. On Tuesday (13th) we saw you come down to the lobby at Crown and you looked lost. Were you lost? Do you get annoyed by fans coming up to you like that? And do you mind when fans try to talk to you? Best of luck. Su-May

I sometimes look lost, like last year against Tsonga here ... :rolls: I was probably looking for someone. I don't mind fans talking to me, why should I?

I have to be very thankful to them and that's what I always try to do. But you also know that sometimes it is impossible with everyone.

Rafa, who is your favourite player to play against and who is your best friend on tour? Morgan

I have some great friends on tour. Moya, Feli Lopez, Marc Lopez, Juan Monaco, These are among my best friends.

Rafa, is it true that sexual activity is not permitted during a tournament because it takes all the energy from athletes? Daph

Every player should know the best way to be ready to play next day. So it is up to the player.

(:haha: That boi is still a virgin for sure.)

Hola Rafa! Many congratulations on your really great win with Marc Lopez in the doubles final in Qatar recently. I was very happy to be able to watch the match online ... what a bizarre moment when a cat wandered onto the tennis court during the match!

Rafa, has anything like that ever happened during any of your other tennis matches? Muchas Gracias, Rafa and the best of luck for 2009. Niamh

Not really. We have some strange objects flying on to the courts when there is wind, like birds or insects that sometimes go on court.

Hola Rafa, my question is about football. Do you think Real is capable of catching up with Barca and winning again this year or do you think 2009 is Barca's year? Meriko

Wow, difficult and easy question. Barca is playing unbelievable, so it will be difficult for Real madrid to catch them.

Dear Rafa, congratulations on a great 2008 season. Could you tell me a bit about your diet? I've read you like chocolate chip cookies, but I'm sure you eat other more healthy things too. Shelley

Diet? I love cookies and I eat some but not that many. I actually burn a lot of calories so I do really deserve to eat them from time to time, right?

wildegirl05
01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
:awww: that was really cute. thanks hilde and hema :hatoff:

acionescu
01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
:awww:

No love for Ferru? :sad:

Castafiore
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
There's a different series of Q&A for the Times, by the way (also posted today).

Cloudygirl
01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Pretty similar questions in the times

The world number one will be answering your queries throughout the Australian Open - send your questions to rafa@timesonline.co.uk

Thank you for blogging again we love reading it. Do you like the new ranking system or are you as confused as the most of the fans? Meriko/VB

RN: Hi, well the system hasn't really changed for us. This is what we use to call the entry so it is not really new for us. It can be a bit confusing for non-tennis people, though.

How much time did you allow yourself to rest during the short off season - do you have a period where you relax completely. Also do you relax your diet for a period of time? Paul McNamara

RN: This year I had some more time since I had the knee problem at the end of 08. It also depends on the calendar and if you made it to the Masters or the Davis cup final. In my case 2 weeks is what I got this time really off. But if I wouldn’t have played the Davis cup final I would have had no time for rest.

I was wondering how do you manage to cope with things such as jet lag with such a demanding schedule as yours? Ayesha

RN: The jet lag and schedule are two different things. Jet lag is OK to get used to since we arrive with some time and we also travel comfortably. But the schedule is the tough part of tennis.

Do you think the backhand has a place as a major attacking weapon in modern tennis? With all of the top players running around their backhands more and more due to the basic physics of the forehand generating more power and topspin has this aspect of the game been lost? Thomas Devereux

RN: Yes absolutely. Backhand is very important but nowadays with only one shot, be it forehand or backhand or even serve there is not much you can do. You need it all. Actually, you see players struggle more when there is forehand or backhand missing.

How do you keep your confidence up to come back from being down 5-1 or losing the first set 6-0? What do you recommend to build up my own confidence to be able to do that? Mansoor

RN: Well you have to think that a match ends when the last point is over, not before. And you at the same time win when also the last point is over. So you think both ways and that answers your question. You have to fight until the end, until the last ball is hit because the match is not over until then.

I very much enjoyed seeeing the trophy ceremony when you won the doubles in Doha with Marc Lopez. You both looked so happy and thrilled. Is there any chance the two of you may team up again later in the year? Good luck in Melbourne. Besos - Daisy x

RN: You never know. he is a good friend of mine and I had the chance to play with him there since he was there also for singles. we actually had a great time.

My nephew is two, what age is a good age to start playing tennis with him so that he can become the worlds No1 tennis player? Russell

RN: I think he should start whenever he wants, never before.

Do you think Andy Murray has chance to do better on clay at Roland Garros this year? Daniel, Lancaster

RN: Sure, Andy is a great player and has been playing on clay for many years when he was based in Barcelona.

What are the best weather conditions for you to play in? Nancy Davis, Massachusetts

RN: There are many conditions not only the weather such as the court, the ball. Definitely I like to play with the sun and no wind.

As a result of a very successful year, you, quite deservedly, were the winner of numerous awards which required your presence and time in giving interviews, doing PR etc during the closed season. Did this affect the scheduling of your fitness regime and routine for getting yourself fit and healthy for the new season? Sandra, England

RN: No, it doesn't since my priority is the game, the things I need to do such as fitness regime, rest, etc. after that the PR activities and things like that comes in second. I know it is important and I do them but first things are first. I am sure people understand that and my team helps me with that.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/01/questions-for-r.html#more

I'm gutted he hasn't answered my how much do you get paid for doing this blog question. :(

wildegirl05
01-18-2009, 05:19 PM
There's a different series of Q&A for the Times, by the way (also posted today).

do you have a link for that? actually if you don't mind posting the links to both blogs, then i can follow it everyday :) thanks :hug:

Castafiore
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
See first post, WG.

wildegirl05
01-18-2009, 05:47 PM
See first post, WG.

:woohoo: thank you hilde :smooch:

edit: omg, the g'day mate and good on you mate bits were REALLY adorable :inlove:

elessar
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
New blog :D I think Rafa learned a new word :bigclap:
Tuesday, January 20

HI everyone,

Sorry you're getting this blog late, very late, but as you might well know I played the last match tonight and that means I get to the hotel pretty late.

Today it wasn't too bad since the matches didn't go that slow and so I could jump on court before 10 pm and I also played a good match and finished pretty fast.

Still I got to the hotel by midnight and by the time I finished eating dinner and everything it is pretty late.

I actually was lucky since the women's match before didn't go to a third set. If that had happened I would have probably got to the court at 10.30 or later.

This is why the night matches are difficult; you really finish late and by the time you go to bed it can be really late.

I remember two years ago that some times I went to bed around 4am or 5am. One day it was even daylight!

Why so late, why go to sleep so late if the match was over, like today, at 11 pm or so?

Well, we have to do press conference after the match. I normally take around 30 minutes to go to press if everything is well, meaning that if I have pain or need to check something it can take me up to an hour or more to go to press.

Then, after press, we normally go to the hotel and since it is late I normally do room service. You know it takes 40 minutes or more to get the food to the room so in the mean time I make some phone calls or play some games at the Play Station.

We did this today. By the time I get on the massage table to get my physio to work on my body doing stretching and massage it can be very late. So imagine if the match finished later...

I am very happy with the way I have started this tournament. I really felt great on court and very confident. Already when I hit to warm up at 5.30 i felt well.

I know the beginning of the tournament, the first match is complicated but today it went very well and i think I played some great and powerful tennis. Again, I am happy, but there is a long road still ahead.

Also the court was packed full and that's a great thing. First round, night and full house in the stadium. Great feeling.

Many thanks for following.

Hasta manana!

tennizen
01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Rafa for World Peace:D(See bolded part)

RAFAEL Nadal answers your questions exclusively - anything from relaxation to how he copes with jet lag.
Tuesday, January 20

Hi Rafa. Give me five different songs you have on your iPod.
Brad George,
Griffith, NSW

Rafa's reply: I have a lot of songs but most of them are Spanish. I love the band called La Oreja de Van Gogh and have all their songs.

Rafa, Since you have such a unique game which has given you certain advantages, don't you think changing your spinning forehand may make you lose his edge? It is well known that the spin gives all players a problem, including Federer.
Husain Sattar

Hi, I don't think the spinning is something I will need to change. It is a bit more complicated. You have to know how to use all parts of the game and shots and the spinning is one.

Hola Rafa,
First I want to congratulate you on the great '08. Watching you is truly a pleasure even if sometimes my heart rate goes up significantly.
You have told us who your friends are from ATP circuit. Can you tell us who you are closest to from WTA?
Mil Besos
Meriko/Vamos Brigade

I have a good relation with a lot of them. But you know that if I start giving names some will start thinking things that are not, so I better keep it for myself. Sorry.

If you could have two wishes to come true for this year - one wish on the tennis court and one wish off the court - what two wishes would you make?
Niamh Kearney
Ireland

Off court is that all wars stop. And on court to be well and ready to win titles.

Buenos dias,
Can you please tell me what is your string tension. I am 14 and I play tennis at a club. My dream is to become a pro.
Darren Pereira

It varies a bit depending on surface. Normally 25.5kg

Hola Rafa. I was wondering if you missed your old outfit "pirate style" long shorts and sleeveless t-shirt?
Mandy

Not really, I feel comfortable on this too so no big deal to be honest.

When you were seven years old, how many hours a week would you practise. Also as a junior, how old were you when you played in your first tournament and how did you go.
Marcus Stathos, 7.

I know I was practising a lot since I always had a great time playing. I competed in different categories always, starting by local, regional and national championships before taking off to international events. I did well.

Apart from Roger, whom you've acknowledged so many times, who is your favourite tennis player of all time?
Isabelle
France

I haven't had the chance to see much of the past so I wouldn't be able to tell you with knowledge. I did see lots of matches of Borg and McEnroe when we had rain delays at Wimbledon a couple of years ago.

What is your favourite country to visit while playing tennis?
Maggie Sapet

I don't really have much time to visit when I am at tournaments. But I really enjoy Paris, New York and here in Melbourne.

Hola mi amor,

AS a Spaniard, what is your perspective on bullfighting? I've never seen one personally but I think it is quite an art.
Shelly, USA

I never talk about this things. Sorry and thanks.

You're a natural right hander yet you play with your left hand. Do you think you'd be as good a player if you switched to using your right hand to play?
Tim Chamberlain

Absolutely not. I am doing well like this. I couldn't do it with my right hand. Have you looked at the video on my web? It explains it. Thanks

My question is - why does your uncle Toni always wear the same white hat when he sits in the stands at your matches?
Dean Doormann

He has an agreement with that foundation.

Rafa, I saw tennis pro clip where you were playing Playstation with your friends and you and David Ferrer were in your underwear. Did you lose a bet?
Cedrine

We were playing not in underwear. I think it was with shorts but no shirt. I can't remember if I lost that time. David is a very good player.

Watching you play some of your best tennis last year was wonderful. I wanted to ask you , how hard do you think it will be for you to hold on to your number one ranking this year and who do you see as your main competition ?
All the best for the Australian Open and the year ahead!
Danielle

I think it is going to be very difficult but this is the way it is. There are a lot of names out there that are playing great.
Roger is stil Roger though and, for sure, he will be back trying his best to regain the No. 1.

How is it that you manage to stay so humble and modest despite your success and do you think you will continue to stay this way?
Denisa B
Toronto
Canada

Thanks for the comment. I think it is normal. Why should I change?

Hi Rafa,

My question is about Uncle Toni. I read his interviews and he's always so negative about you. I understand and respect humility but I think he goes too far.

Don't you feel you need more positive feedback from him? Sometimes I wonder if he's really behind you or not!
Vamos!
Holly

I don't think the word negative is the appropriate one, really. He is simply a critic but in a constructive way. We understand each other.

wildegirl05
01-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Watching you play some of your best tennis last year was wonderful. I wanted to ask you , how hard do you think it will be for you to hold on to your number one ranking this year and who do you see as your main competition ?
All the best for the Australian Open and the year ahead!
Danielle

I think it is going to be very difficult but this is the way it is. There are a lot of names out there that are playing great.
Roger is stil Roger though and, for sure, he will be back trying his best to regain the No. 1.

he will always be my favorite fedtard :inlove:

elessar
01-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Smart boy, looks like he heard about VB :haha:
Hola Rafa,
First I want to congratulate you on the great '08. Watching you is truly a pleasure even if sometimes my heart rate goes up significantly.
You have told us who your friends are from ATP circuit. Can you tell us who you are closest to from WTA?
Mil Besos
Meriko/Vamos Brigade

I have a good relation with a lot of them. But you know that if I start giving names some will start thinking things that are not, so I better keep it for myself. Sorry.

elessar
01-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Rafa for World Peace:D(See bolded part)
:haha: reminds me of my favourite movie
4 min 09 :inlove:
PmCXbkl1ykI&feature=related

cmurray
01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Dear Rafa, Why do you pick your wedgie?

:rolleyes:

tennizen
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Rafa, please be honest.How do you really feel knowing that millions of girls and women find you extremely sexy and even look for men that look like you? People like Safin and Robredo accept they're sexy, why can't you?
Cedrine, UK

I don't think I am like that. I do know I have more followers and fans now than five years ago. I suppose it helps the fact that I am seen a lot on TV.

For the more devoted: Has Rafa ever used the word sexy or sex directly in a sentence:lol:

Manila ESQ
01-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I guess this could be the understatement of the year, but Rafa is just so different from Novak. They may be separated by a couple of ATP points, but the way they come off to people is world's apart!

Vaccine
01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
maybe it wasn't put in the blog, but I find it quite funny whenever Rafa is asked about his next opponent it's always "he's got a good forehand, good backhand, good serve and good volley. He's a complete player" and "it's gonna be tough match, but I'm gonna try my best" :rolls:

MariaV
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
For the more devoted: Has Rafa ever used the word sexy or sex directly in a sentence:lol:

Hema now! :eek: :o He is supposed to be a virgin, acc to the Girlfriend thread after all! ;) He doesn't use such words. :angel: :rolls:

cmurray
01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Rafa gives the most boring answers EVER. :haha:

Except when he talked about Torres. :dance:

safinafan
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
This seek people make the most weird questions: why do u pick your wedgie? Come on, i don't know why he still answering this kind of thing. :smash:

l_mac
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Yes. Once when describing his perfect day in The Times. The interviewer said he cuoldn't believe he hadn't included sex in his perfect day, and Rafa said sex was important, but not necessary to make a perfect day.

Ouch for Xisca.

Of course in his perfect day were fishing and golf with friends, lunch with family, (maybe going to a football match, or playing football can't remember) and partying with friends at night.

To be fair to Rafa :inlove: he has no interest whatsoever in discussing his personal life with journalists, and he is good at allowing them absolutely no opening to question him.

Cloudygirl
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Rafa, Does the colour of the tennis court surface affect your game in any way? Do you like some colours better than others?
Christie

Not really if they are normal colors of that surface. I wouldn't like a strange color on clay for example.

note to Fed if you get to the RG final this year, paint the court a different colour the night before and you might stand a chance.