New Duck! New Duck! (USO Thread) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New Duck! New Duck! (USO Thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

star
08-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Well, it's getting closer and closer and I don't care at all about the olympics so I'm posting this thread. :)

Deboogle!.
08-01-2004, 02:21 AM
great title :yeah:!

Havok
08-01-2004, 02:28 AM
I don't get it :retard:

please explain to the idiot over here :wavey:

Deboogle!.
08-01-2004, 02:35 AM
I think it's just... "New York, New York!" a play on that :)

Havok
08-01-2004, 02:36 AM

star
08-01-2004, 03:25 AM
New York! New York!
It's a wonderful town.
The battery is up
The something is down.

It's sort of like the New York National Anthem.

star
08-01-2004, 03:30 AM
And then there's this one too!!

New york, new york

Start spreading the news, I知 leaving today
I want to be a part of it - new york, new york
These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it - new york, new york

I wanna wake up in a city, that doesn稚 sleep
And find I知 king of the hill - top of the heap

These little town blues, are melting away
I値l make a brand new start of it - in old new york
If I can make it there, I値l make it anywhere
It痴 up to you - new york, new york

New york, new york
I want to wake up in a city, that never sleeps
And find I知 a number one top of the list, king of the hill
A number one

These little town blues, are melting away
I知 gonna make a brand new start of it - in old new york
And if I can make it there, I知 gonna make it anywhere

It up to you - new york new york

New york

star
08-01-2004, 03:41 AM
ooops.. i misquoted the first song.

New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
The people ride in a hole in the groun'.
New York, New York, it's a helluva town!

tangerine_dream
08-01-2004, 04:09 AM
That reminds me, I still have to buy my tickets! :eek:

star
08-01-2004, 04:11 AM
Buy your tickets!!!!!

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Tangy, I take it you arent attending TD Waterhouse then?

J. Corwin
08-01-2004, 07:43 AM
I got the title. :yeah:

star
08-01-2004, 04:54 PM
:bigclap: Yay you!!!!

:lol:

Havok
08-01-2004, 06:27 PM
oh shut it :ras:

TinyT
08-01-2004, 06:34 PM
awww, Naldo :sad: it's ok, i didn't get it either ;)

Havok
08-01-2004, 06:39 PM
*high fives TinyT*

papasmurf11
08-01-2004, 06:49 PM
I didnt get the title at first but now that I get it very clever! :bigclap:

Fumus
08-02-2004, 05:00 PM
I already bought my tickets, I have 2 stadium passes(special seating thanks to USTA), I am going to be there the first day, which is the best day in my opinion, because everyone in the tennis world will be there on that day. Awesome sooo stoked!!! Andybody else going on that day? We could meet up and talk MTF! I will definitly post all the pics, videos, and everything, I can take out with me!!

Jennay
08-02-2004, 05:31 PM
:eek: Fumus you lucky boy! Hope you have fun! :D

I might go next year ;)

Proph
08-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I already bought my tickets, I have 2 stadium passes(special seating thanks to USTA), I am going to be there the first day, which is the best day in my opinion, because everyone in the tennis world will be there on that day. Awesome sooo stoked!!! Andybody else going on that day? We could meet up and talk MTF! I will definitly post all the pics, videos, and everything, I can take out with me!!

whhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wanna officially cover it for RO? lol

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Andy probably won't play the first day. They had him play Wednesday last year :o

Fumus
08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
yea but he will be practicing there silly billy bunk! haha ya! Andy way's yea whatever I get will sign over to RO.com as their property pro!

I am also thinking of maybe buying some night match tickets too, they wicked cheap and going up there for that too would be fun. Night matches at USO are sooo exciting, I still that think that Andy vs. Llbujicc was one of the best matches because it was all night time and electric like!

Proph
08-02-2004, 07:59 PM
dude, thanks :)

If i could good rep you twice in a row i would

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
well I repped you...does that count?

Jennay
08-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Oh Fumus you were so close to giving me my 3rd shiny dot :p Thanks though :kiss:

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Ohhh...I just didn't have it in me..well it was still fun for you right?

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:13 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jennay again.

I tried Jen!!

Jennay
08-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Ohhh...I just didn't have it in me..well it was still fun for you right?
Its always fun with you Fumus! :devil:

Oh wait.. that was the first time :lol: ;)

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:26 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/ange10.gif

your halos are slipping guys, lmao

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Prophy where's your halo? :devil:

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:32 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/transform.gif

hehehe...I could tell you but there are younger people among us

Fumus
08-02-2004, 08:39 PM
haha...my halo...is around somewhere...I think it's under my bed with everything else in the world.

Jennay
08-02-2004, 08:48 PM
A halo doesn't belong with the reading material under your bed Fumus :p

Proph
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/roflmao.gif

DEATH

Fumus
08-02-2004, 09:00 PM
haha...my halo belongs on my head...that's the safe place for it!

J. Corwin
08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
HAHAHAHA...I've been stealing everyone's halos cuz mines have been breaking. :devil: oops, I mean :angel:

Proph
08-02-2004, 09:03 PM
well i can only imagine what you used mine for to break it baby :devil:

Jennay
08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Fumus your halo belongs in the trash, its a fake :tape:

Fumus
08-02-2004, 09:13 PM
lol....arlight it's not a halo...it's just doughnut dipped confectionary sugar.....mmhhh...eating...yummmy.....I need another Halo...um...Bunk can I have yours?

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Nope I don't share my halo :angel:

J. Corwin
08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
well i can only imagine what you used mine for to break it baby :devil:

One by one....GONE :devil:

Them devil horns been keeping it up for ya? :p

Fumus
08-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Nope I don't share my halo :angel:

awww....um...Tangy can I have your old halo?

Proph
08-02-2004, 09:23 PM
lmfao...naw, I'm beyond help, but i'm sure they've been keeping it up for you :devil:

:tape:

Jennay
08-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Fumus what are you thinking? :o Tangy with a halo? :tape:

tangerine_dream
08-02-2004, 10:43 PM
If you steal my halo, the terrorists will have won.

Deboogle!.
08-02-2004, 11:06 PM

oh my god. DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyroxmysox12191
08-03-2004, 12:15 AM
:haha: :haha: *deathing*

aww fumus you're lucky. i sssooo wanna go to the uso :(
dont know if my brother bought the tickets yet or not :rolleyes: they're still on sale arent they :confused:

Proph
08-03-2004, 12:18 AM

OMFG!!!!!!!!

:lol: :haha:

star
08-03-2004, 02:34 AM

Keep up that sort of talk, Missy, and you aren't going to be allowed to vote for Georgie!!! :(

Fumus
08-03-2004, 04:03 AM
haha...um...Star can I have your halo?

star
08-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Yeah.... you can scrub it up and take those pesky spikey things out of it. :)

Proph
08-03-2004, 04:57 AM
awwwwwwwww...you got oneee!!

Fumus
08-03-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a halo! :angel: Yes alright, now as long as I behave I can keep it... :)

Deboogle!.
08-18-2004, 06:31 PM
I think this can be resurrected now... Cmon Andy... you've always played well here. Put the Olympics disappointment behind and play your best :)

I hope he doesn't stay in Athens too long so that he can go home, get over the jetlag nice and early... maybe even get to go HOME and see his family for a couple days before going to NYC hopefully nice and early

Oh, and check this out!
http://www.heineken.com/usa/cc/usa/usopen2004/votingmain.html

Nishy
08-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Go Andy!

bunk, cool heineken page.

superpinkone37
08-18-2004, 07:13 PM
i will be so pissed off, and i mean seriously devastated if andy blows at the US open. i mean theres nothing we can really do, but come on andy, for my sanity!!! please please please do well :)

andyroxmysox12191
08-19-2004, 02:39 AM
i've been there already deb :p ;) lol
lets go andy :aparty: just do your best at the uso :)

J. Corwin
08-19-2004, 03:36 AM
Have the best summer of them all and win THE biggest one! C'mon! :cool:

nice page, deb...hard to vote :p ;)

Deboogle!.
08-19-2004, 03:46 AM
this is depressing :sad: (I took the Andy excerpts)

===

U.S. tennis suffers worst-case scenario
Matthew Cronin / tennisreporters.net

So now what was feared has come to pass for U.S. tennis.

Second-ranked Andy Roddick overplayed this summer and hasn't scored a big win since March. And for the first time since she became a legitimate pro, four-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams has become vulnerable to anyone inside of the top 40.

Some outlets reported that Roddick was able to shrug off his 6-4, 6-4 third-round defeat in Athens to Chile's Fernando Gonzalez. But given how many times the 21-year-old jock said it was his dream to win the gold, Roddick can't be feeling too good about himself.

"I'm gutted right now. It's not every day we get to play this. You can't say 'next year' ... (But) I'm not going to kill myself. I just didn't capitalize on it. It's personal, how big it is. Some guys really don't care that much. I cared a lot."

At least the US men have hope, as both Taylor Dent and Mardy Fish reached the quarterfinals on Wednesday. But the US captain Patrick McEnroe's greatest hope was Roddick, who is suddenly pressing.

Here's how Roddick's summer has looked so far: a dramatic loss to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final; a nice but somewhat humdrum win over Nicolas Kiefer in the Indianapolis final; a depressing loss to Federer in the Toronto final; a lost-in-the-wilderness defeat to Andre Agassi in the Cincinnati semis; and then a "I have a terrible time breaking anyone" loss to Gonzalez at the Olympics.

Compare that to last summer, when after his loss to Federer in the Wimbledon semis, Roddick won four straight hardcourt tournaments, including the US Open.

But now, he's struggling mightily in his return games because he has a hard time getting elite players on the defensive when he's not gunning big serves. His backhand is vulnerable again and he has not adapted well to his new strategy of coming into net behind short balls. Here's a very telling statistic from the Gonzalez match: outside of belting 13 aces, he only whacked six winners to 23 from the powerful Chilean.

"When I saw he was playing offense on my offense, I knew it was going to be a long day," Roddick said.

Here's another telling sign that Roddick is struggling: he failed to convert four break points in the final game. "Normally, when you play with Fernando, there's a lot more valleys with those peaks," Roddick said.

Roddick has had a lot more peaks than valleys himself, but is having a difficult closing out matches. Playing in front of his home fans at the US' biggest tournament, Roddick is sure to put a stingy defense of his US Open title. He's a terrific five-set player and knows how to play the crowd. But can he repeat in New York when his confidence against the tour's best players is so obviously down?

"Right now I'm looking forward," he said. "I want to go in there and give it a run."

andyroxmysox12191
08-19-2004, 03:48 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: that almost made me cry but i wont since my brothers are around :sad:

Jennay
08-19-2004, 03:56 AM
I can't stand to see Andy upset :(

andyroxmysox12191
08-19-2004, 04:14 AM
LMFAO JEN!!!! YOUR AV!! :sobbing: this isnt the time to do it but omg :sobbing:

Proph
08-19-2004, 04:29 AM
weeeeeeeeeeee...coot av

Nishy
08-19-2004, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the article bunk.
The writer just took the words right out of my mouth.
I have been thinking I have to prepare myself for the worst-case scenario this year.
But I hope he proves me wrong.
Even if he doesn't win big tournament this year, I still believe this is just the process before his break through is coming soon.

Golfnduck
08-19-2004, 04:48 AM
I think Andy is still building on his game. His return games may have gone down a little, but I think its because he is adding a lot of aspects to his game. I think he will have a breakout year here shortly. GO ANDY!!!

Havok
08-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Andy overplayed this summer :retard: Why can't people get it through their thick heads :tape:
2003: Indianapolis, Washington, Montreal, Cincinnati, US Open
2004: Indianapolis, Toronto, Cincinnati, Athens, US Open

Same number of events. Yeah Washington isn't the same as the Olympics, but the constant phrase of "overplaying" is such bullshit.

Deboogle!.
08-19-2004, 05:52 AM
I agree with that, Naldo...

But I don't disagree with what other things he said. At the AO, the best thing Andy did was return. He was returning like a world-class returner. Now all of a sudden he can barely break anyone. Can't break Mirnyi or Ljubicic or even Gonzo. that's BAD. It's like he's regressed and I don't get it.

Same with the backhand... it doesn't seem nearly as solid as it did earlier in the year.

He's been playing his B- game, to steal from Fumigator, for a few months now - and yea it's gotten him a couple small titles and even the Wimby final... but really it's time to pull out the A Game again. That's great that the B- game can beat almost everyone but yea.. it's GO TIME Andy... let's pull out the good stuff for the USO mmmkay?:)

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 06:52 AM
yes lets please pull out the A-game!!! :sad:i know its pathetic but i will be seriously upset if andy sucks at the US Open. But i will think positive....:)

Nishy
08-19-2004, 07:16 AM
He's been playing his B- game, to steal from Fumigator, for a few months now - and yea it's gotten him a couple small titles and even the Wimby final... but really it's time to pull out the A Game again. That's great that the B- game can beat almost everyone but yea.. it's GO TIME Andy... let's pull out the good stuff for the USO mmmkay?:)
Yes, I agree.
Let's play A Game especially when it comes to critical moment.

It seems his focus level is little down recently compare to last summer. But I know last summer was incredible and it is difficult to do many time. I think each opponent brings their A Game to Andy, No.2 in the world and that makes tough match for him. But as I told before, it is just progress and I believe he is going to right way to have success career (win several GS). But I might be too much expected again. lol

J. Corwin
08-19-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't there's been a match that I thought Andy played really well since the Wimby final...maybe with the exception of the Chela match at Toronto (which we didn't get to see on TV). But that is all.

I think all these close matches and being so close to winning titles, but being stopped by Fed and Andre, has done a lil damage to Andy's confidence. Get it back and get it back now! :wavey:

RonE
08-19-2004, 01:25 PM
I think we will see a different Andy at the USO as opposed to the one in Cincy and Athens- when you go into a grand slam as the defending champion it can boost your game and your motivation and do wonders. Andy is a fighter- and he is playing on his home turf in what is, let's face it, the second most important tournament in the world (after Wimbledon).

I'll never forget Costa- coming back as defending champ in RG 2003 after he had a miserable clay court season before and he just fought and fought and really played some of the best tennis I've seen him play until Ferrero stopped him in the semis. I think something similair will happen to Andy- not getting stopped in the semis by Ferrero that is, but rather a focus, intensity and drive that will see him excell again and hopefully wipe out the bad memories of the last few weeks.

Deboogle!.
08-19-2004, 03:40 PM
I hope you're right, RonE. That's what I'm hoping for. the USO has always been special to Andy - from the time he won as a junior in 2000 to his first QF in 2001 and salvaging his really poor slam efforts in 2002 and of course last year. I'm usually the pessimistic/defeatist worrier, but I have this really hopeful feeling this time that as soon as he steps into Ashe stadium the magic will come back :awww:

Golfnduck
08-19-2004, 04:08 PM
I have a really good feeling about the US Open!! I really think being the defending champion will boost his confidence. I'm excited to watch him play again and to see a new outfit on him. Hopefully this break between the Olympics and the USO will give Andy and Brad time to work on things. We'll be seeing Andy's A game at the USO!!!!

Lady Natalia
08-19-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a really good feeling about the US Open!! I really think being the defending champion will boost his confidence.
You're right! Being defending champ will be a big boost for him. Being in that NY environment will boost his confidence. I know Roger will be the number 1 seed, but who's the betting man's favorite to win, Rogi or Andy?

tangerine_dream
08-19-2004, 04:56 PM
That article was depressing. :sad:

I don't think Andy overplayed this summer, either. Not compared to last year.

The difference is that last year he was on a high and rode the wave to glory. This year, his losses have been much tougher to deal with: those close Fed matches, and then the Agassi match on top of it. Andy must be wondering: I played my best game against those guys and I still couldn't win. It kills your confidence to be sure. Poor Andy. *huggles* :hug:

But USO may be different (I hope). Good luck to Andy in Queens! :banana:

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 05:12 PM
You're right! Being defending champ will be a big boost for him. Being in that NY environment will boost his confidence. I know Roger will be the number 1 seed, but who's the betting man's favorite to win, Rogi or Andy?

youre so right once again lady natalia! the US Open has always been a great environment for him and he has always had good results there. especially now that he is coming back as the defending champ, that cant hurt lol. of course, roger is #1 but that doesnt always mean everything-- i mean look at athens right now, like none of the top players are left, and as im obviously favored more towards andy, im hoping that is the case (sorry!). hopefully andy will have a great run in new york this year, i dont want him to end the year dissappointed

elusive
08-19-2004, 05:13 PM
"I'm gutted right now. It's not every day we get to play this. You can't say 'next year' ... (But) I'm not going to kill myself. I just didn't capitalize on it. It's personal, how big it is. Some guys really don't care that much. I cared a lot."
[/QUOTE]

andy........ :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

he only whacked six winners to 23 from the powerful Chilean.

WHAT?! so the scoreboard was not cranky? andy WAS playing bad :sad:

bad summer for andy so far. hope it doesnt affect him too much mentally. i miss the fiery old andy.

andyroxmysox12191
08-19-2004, 05:42 PM
i wouldn't say this is a bad summer. he's lost in tough matches so he did his best in all of them basically so it's not a bad summer really. maybe for him mentally but on paper i wouldnt think so.

Nishy
08-19-2004, 05:52 PM
I think all these close matches and being so close to winning titles, but being stopped by Fed and Andre, has done a lil damage to Andy's confidence. Get it back and get it back now!
The difference is that last year he was on a high and rode the wave to glory. This year, his losses have been much tougher to deal with: those close Fed matches, and then the Agassi match on top of it. Andy must be wondering: I played my best game against those guys and I still couldn't win. It kills your confidence to be sure. Poor Andy. *huggles* :hug:
Yes, totally agree. Get back to good mode. I also hope this is a good experience for him. Just thinking about the experience, his career as pro is shorter than them (Fed, Agassi) that I think he has more potential. I think he learns from this tough loss and turn into good way.

Fumus
08-19-2004, 06:20 PM
the draw comes out when?

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 06:34 PM
no this really hasnt been a bad summer...i mean he couldnt have done any better than last year-- that was a perfect summer, and it would be near impossible to match it.i mean, he won a title, got to the final of another, and the semis of the last one. yeah i would have liked to see him defend all his titles, but that would have been just about impossible, like i said. and fumus, i think the draw comes out the end of next week-- im not sure which day, im sure someone on here knows

Fumus
08-19-2004, 06:54 PM
US hopin'..lol...corny..

US Open...hoping...eh...nevermind..

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 07:21 PM
lol fumus hehe :banana:

Deboogle!.
08-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Well according to Mardy, he and Andy are gonna go right to NYC from Athens... sound good to me :yeah:

superpinkone37
08-21-2004, 01:38 AM
yep sounds good!!! lol :)

MisterQ
08-21-2004, 02:33 AM
US hopin'..lol...corny..

US Open...hoping...eh...nevermind..

LOL Fumus! you belong in the U.S. Ho Pen. ;)

Havok
08-21-2004, 03:14 AM
LOL Fumus! you belong in the U.S. Ho Pen. ;)
Q trying to speak henglish with a Quebec accent.;)

Deboogle!.
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
according to AR.com Andy goes to NY today. I think this is a really great thing that he's going so early.

OH also, not that it really matters but even if Lleyton wins Long Island he and Andy will be tied for first place on that US Open series

tangerine_dream
08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm not ready for USO yet. :( I'm still ruminating over Mardy's choke-heard-'round-the-world. Plus, I still have TD Waterhouse to look forward to, even though Andre has now pulled out. :sobbing: I think Massu is scheduled to play there, too, though I'd be very surprised if he didn't pull out, too.

snaillyyy
08-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Yep Tangy---- Massu pulled out too, not surprising at all.

tangerine_dream
08-23-2004, 06:48 PM
I knew I should've use the money to go to USO this year instead. :banghead: Ah, well. Lleyton will still be there (I think. I HOPE.) And Jurgen. I like Jurgen. :lick:

I'm having strange fanatasies about the USOpen: that Mardy and/or Kiwi actually beats Andy for the first time in their careers. :eek: :lol: Shame on me!

Havok
08-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Mardy has beaten Andy already, though it was from a retirement.;)

Jennay
08-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm having strange fanatasies about the USOpen: that Mardy and/or Kiwi actually beats Andy for the first time in their careers. :eek: :lol: Shame on me!
Next time you say that you'll choke on the words! :(

andyroxmysox12191
08-23-2004, 10:45 PM
i ALWAYS have strange fantasies about the US Open :lol:

superpinkone37
08-23-2004, 11:55 PM

argh...i hope that doesnt happen!!!!

Havok
08-24-2004, 12:46 AM
I can't wait to see the new outfit, finally.:banana:

Mr. Man
08-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Andy # 2 seed! Obvious, but I felt like saying it. :)

tangerine_dream
08-25-2004, 02:33 AM
I'm having strange fanatasies about the USOpen: that Mardy and/or Kiwi actually beats Andy for the first time in their careers. Shame on me!

Ok, I'm over it now. :)

Deboogle!.
08-25-2004, 02:38 AM
LMGDFAO TAngy!!

superpinkone37
08-25-2004, 02:57 AM
lol tangy!!! :rolls:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-25-2004, 03:10 AM
I can't wait to see the new outfit, finally.:banana:

Yeah me too, I've been waiting too long for that outfit. :cool:

star
08-25-2004, 03:51 AM
PFB!!!!! Love the avatar!

superpinkone37
08-25-2004, 04:54 AM
lol another ducky av!!! :)

Deboogle!.
08-25-2004, 07:01 PM
so the draw is out... this Scoville Jenkins guy in R1 but then it gets WAY harder yuck... he's gonna lose to Nadal in R2 :awww:

But what's hilarious is that this was on tennis-x this morning BEFORE the draw came out:
===

While today's US Open draw ceremony will be held at the United Nations at 11 a.m. at the Dag Hammarskjold, (if you're in NYC see if you can crash it), don't be surprised if No. 2 seed Andy Roddick draws American wildcard and junior champion Scoville Jenkins in his opener

Havok
08-25-2004, 07:41 PM
:haha: There's no way Andy's gonna lose to Nadal at the USO. Nadal is good and all, but he's got nothing on his serve, so Andy better up his return game and he'll be able to get a break each set and win. In all seriousness even Blake can take out Nadal i think. I don't know in what state James' game is at, but if he feels like showing up, he has the much better hardcourt game out of the two. I say it's a good draw. Safin in the 4th round can be a little tricky, but it isn't a horrible draw at all.

RonE
08-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Deb, why are you so pessimistic? If Andy gets fired up and into the groove there are only a select few who can stop him- most notably as recently shown Federer and Agassi. But they are both on the other side of the draw, and while Nadal is extremely talented and dangerous, Andy focused and thinking clearly on a hard court should be able to dispose of him.

superpinkone37
08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
:haha: There's no way Andy's gonna lose to Nadal at the USO. Nadal is good and all, but he's got nothing on his serve, so Andy better up his return game and he'll be able to get a break each set and win. In all seriousness even Blake can take out Nadal i think. I don't know in what state James' game is at, but if he feels like showing up, he has the much better hardcourt game out of the two. I say it's a good draw. Safin in the 4th round can be a little tricky, but it isn't a horrible draw at all.

ugh i like both blake and nadal, and no matter who wins out of the tow of them, andy's gonna beat them...well, he better. but i think i want nadal to win cuz i never get to see nadal on tv and i think it would be really cool to see them play each other.

Havok
08-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah I wanna see Nadal on tv. I want to see if he's made some good improvements since I saw him lose to Lopez in Madrid i think it was, or BNP Paribas.

Jennay
08-25-2004, 08:12 PM
I really like Andy's draw. Seems easier to me than last year. Nadal will be a tough customer but Andy will get through. Who knows whats up with Marat, he is a headcase. :cuckoo:

Someone on GM said Canas could take Andy out :haha: At the USO? No way.

Then of course there is Federer and Agassi. Who knows what will happen with Roger. Andre will be a fighter, considering this might be his last USO. :)

C'mon Andy! :bounce: Lets do some defending! :D

superpinkone37
08-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah I wanna see Nadal on tv. I want to see if he's made some good improvements since I saw him lose to Lopez in Madrid i think it was, or BNP Paribas.

yeah i really wanna see him play again, and by playing andy, that would be one of the only ways that we would be able to see him early in the tournament. my cousin loves nadal, like how i love andy, so if they do play, its gonna be fun to watch together lol.

Havok
08-25-2004, 08:38 PM
I really like Andy's draw. Seems easier to me than last year. Nadal will be a tough customer but Andy will get through. Who knows whats up with Marat, he is a headcase. :cuckoo:

Someone on GM said Canas could take Andy out :haha: At the USO? No way.

Then of course there is Federer and Agassi. Who knows what will happen with Roger. Andre will be a fighter, considering this might be his last USO. :)

C'mon Andy! :bounce: Lets do some defending! :D
That's just classic TBE with the Canas stuff.;) I think he forgot the US Open is played on a hardcourt.:tears:

tangerine_dream
08-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Andy vs Nadal --- they've never played each other before, have they? :scratch: *too lazy to go look it up*

I hope Andy doesn't think he can just strut out there and impress Nadal with his awesome serve because I get the impression that this kid is a mini-Roger just waiting to hit his stride.

What's most worrisome is how Andy will mentally prepare for the match. We don't need another Gonzo repeat where Andy just stands around waiting for somebody else to screw up. :( He almost always loses when he does that. :banghead:

Havok
08-25-2004, 09:15 PM
No they never played before. Nadal won't be another Federer, he doesn't have all the shots in the book like Roger does, and his serve is nowhere near as good as Federer's is. Nadal should pose some problems, but Andy should adjust and take advantage of situations Nadal will give him.

J. Corwin
08-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Pretty decent draw I'd say. I like that Andy has to be focused early on, like last year, since he's most likely facing Nadal in the 2nd round. Marat might be somewhat of a problem...if he gets that far. ;)

And I'd love to see an Andy/Lleyton rematch in the semis! :drool:

tangerine_dream
08-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Andy-Gonzo rematch!!!! :banana: :devil:

heya
08-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Andy focused and thinking clearly = talented

I guess you haven't seen post-U.S. Open Andy turning into a conceited no-talent who couldn't trust his instincts. He said he listened to everything Gilbert said 'cuz he was THE COACH.

"Ooh, Andy! Break another serve record."
Build more muscles. Get ripped. Fatigue & weight problems aren't problems.
Everything's under control. Don't change your game.

Plan A is great. Just hit high topspin shots toward the opponent's weak backhand . That guy can't hit winners. Let him make errors. You won't lose ugly!

Just stand there, aim for the line & smash forehands. Maybe you'll get lucky against Hewitt, Agassi, Henman & Federer. That almost worked against Haas, Safin, Canas & Mutis, Gonzo, Bjorkman, Enqvist & Spadea.
Your probs'll go away 'cuz you'll improve with my help. There's nothing wrong with me. It's you that's stupid." -Gilbert

"Yes, Daddy."
*pays Gilbert, sits back, enjoys the good life, shares high carbo food with a bimbo

Mr. Man
08-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Good draw for him. Hope he can defend! Own the USO Andy!

superpinkone37
08-25-2004, 10:39 PM
GO ANDY!!! :) :) :)

Golfnduck
08-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Andy can cream Nadal, Andy gets sooo amped up for this tournament. Its not that bad of a draw when you think about it. Rogi has a much harder draw. GO ANDY!!!

heya
08-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Andy thought Madrid, Basel, Scottsdale and Memphis draws were easy too.

Jennay
08-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Heya we all missed you :haha:

heya
08-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Andy talks way too much and can't back up his long list of promises.
It seems like no matter how under control a match is, he wants to race to victory and makes 100 errors. He's not taking his time to plan his shot selection.
I don't see peace on his face.

He has to avoid all the drama between him and the crowd/opponent.
This is behaviour he learned from watching football and baseball.
I don't like overreactions...making the situation bigger than it really is.:fiery:

He doesn't take care of himself enough, especially when his body's in poor condition.

elusive
08-26-2004, 04:59 AM
i would say the draw can be tougher for andy. just hope he doesnt let loose of his chances again.

how untimely everything is cause i will be embarking on my wonderful exams next week. and my life depends on these exams....so andy DO ME PROUD.

defence all the way :D

Havok
08-26-2004, 05:00 AM
I agree with the rushing part. He needs to play the ball better and smarter if he wants to defend his USO title. His shots aren't hit with the same depth and weight like they were before. He needs to get back that confidence in his backhand and do more damage with it. Also he needs to stop with those oddball doubefaults at weird and sometimes key moments.:o At least he isn't standing in the crowd to return serves.:lol:

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 05:26 AM
The doublefaulting is really disconcerting. It's great that he's so confident in his serve but his DF's are finally costing him sets and matches. DFs at 40-0 are ok... at 30-30 and 30-40 and two in one game, etc., are not ok.

Andy's BH and return looked so much better earlier in the year than they do now... also disconcerting, and confusing.

Havok
08-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Well don't count the AO because rebound ace really grabs at the ball and makes it sit up so it's easier to smack a good return when you play on that surface. It slows down serves and that allows him to get a better look at returns. Though I do agree his return and backhand have dipped regardless of the rebound ace. It's all about condifence with that shot. If he has no confidence, it'll still be hit consistent (ie. not too many errors) but he'll hit it like crap. When he's confident in it, he steps into it more and hits out to produce some pretty huge backhands (ie. his match vs Spadea at Miami).

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
:scratch: why would he have lost confidence in BOTH his backhand and returning :confused: :smash:

Havok
08-26-2004, 05:49 AM
Well when he was hitting those shots well, he was the #1 player in the world and he won a TMS event. Also he was destroying everyone on grass and got to the finals of Wimbledon. He just needs another big win following 3 tough losses this summer (his 1st two he was playing well, but his opponent was just too good. Him vs Gonzo he was playing like fuck an allowed Gonzo to dictate and blast winners past him 24/7)

Rick V
08-26-2004, 05:50 AM
After the loss to Fernando in Athens I watched a few A'Rod matches from last summer. He was clearly rallying a lot better from the baseline last year. He was brutalizing his opponents with his forehand and keeping his opponents neutral with his backhand. And his return was way, way better last year. I don't know what's up with his return. If I were Brad Gilbert, I'd work on the return more than anything else right now. He's just not getting enough returns back at the moment to consistently be a threat to break serve. And that's causing him to tighten up just a bit more on his own serve.

Havok
08-26-2004, 05:54 AM
His return last year was worthless and he's lucky he was riding a wave of confidence to get by with those return tactics. No way will he be able to win now if he stands so far back and then follows it up with cheap groundstrokes. Anyways, it's better to try to improve on your weaknesses during matches and having it cost you matches here and there instead of being a little shit and be content with where you game is and leave it that way. Also his backhand is much better this year than last year. Last year he very rarely hurt anyone off that side, this year he can actually turn it into a weapon and hit winners off of it with more ease than before. Also players have a tougher time attacking that side than they used to and it's why Andy's beating players he used to lose to when he just started on the pro cirtcuit.

Havok
08-26-2004, 05:56 AM
But the most important thing about last year vs this year is that he was far more consistent with his groundies than he is this year. Not that he's hitting tons of errors, but he had much better winners/errors ratio last year. Obviously dominating like everything in sight during the summer HC season helped with his confidence and therefore his groundies but still.:p

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 05:57 AM
I didnt find Andy's play at Wimbledon convincing at all til the final... yea he won the matches, Naldo, but he had way more trouble with some of those opponents than he should have. IMO.

I agree Rick. I don't know tennis as much as you do I don't think, technically-speaking, I mean, but Andy was definitely more solid last year. Earlier this year he was playing better, specifically at AO, San Jose, IW, and Miami... his only losses in those tournies were very close ones that could've gone either way and weren't because Andy didn't play well. I purposely did not watch the match with Gonzo but something out-of-the-ordinary obviously was the case there. but all summer he seems a little off. His returning is crap. Just crap. And he seems to have lost a little of the patience that he had built up earlier this year. I'm not even talking about last year. Andy's a different player this year, mostly mentally but also with some aspects of his game. I'm talking about the regressions he's made since earlier THIS year.

Something's going on in that kid's noggin and I hope that stepping onto Ashe for the first time helps... I hope I'm not being too optimistic this time. Usually i'm the negative one :|

Havok
08-26-2004, 06:01 AM
True he was having a bit more trouble vs players he should have been beating easier in the earlier rounds at wimbledon, but he only lost a set to Ancic prior to the finals, so he had his head on straight when it mattered the most and got through. Obviously his play in the finals totally outshadowed his play prior to that, but I'm sure Andy's play in the early Wimbledon rounds was better than Andy's play throughout Athens. (I'm judging by the articles that listed those shitload of errors :scared: )

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 06:06 AM
I'm not reading too much into Andy's Athens play as I think the issues there were mental and not a problem with his form. But we've been over that all already. He went into the Gonzo match, admitted by himself, with the wrong tactics - wait for Gonzo to be Gonzo and make mistakes and when he didn't do that... the match was already over. If it'd been a best-of-5, however, methinks the match may have been different (not necessarily a different ultimate result but it's a very different kind of match) and we have to remember that we're going into a slam, with the best-of-5 wrinkle. That favors Andy against a lot of players.

*still trying to be optimistic* He's never played badly at the USO... in 2000 he won the juniors, in 2001 he made his first slam QF and lost a winnable match, in 2002 he hit the Sampras juggernaut and couldn't have done a thing about that and last year he won. I have to expect that Andy will come out and start playing well again at the USO. It's a special place for him and if he comes out poorly in NYC then I'll really start to worry

Havok
08-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Oh no doubt Andy will play better at the USO, this is his favorite tournament and he always comes prepared.;)

Oh and btw, I signed up for the text message thing the Us Open does for the scores.:banana: IT's gonna text me scores of all the rounds and plus you can select players you wanna follow more closely (I guess they update you on those per set instead of after the match is done maybe?:shrug: I added Andy, Roger, Agassi, Lleyton, Kuerten, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Christine, Amelie, Sharapova and I think someone else to my list. They only have the top players in each event though for the "in depth" scoring crap. Anyways now I don't have to worry about scores while I'm in class.:banana:

superpinkone37
08-26-2004, 07:04 AM
yay naldo!!!! thats actually a really cool thing they have going with that text message thing. since i start school before the open if halfway over i might have to check that out as well

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 04:01 PM
I don't even think my phone can accept text messages HAHAHAHAHAHA

Golfnduck
08-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Oh no doubt Andy will play better at the USO, this is his favorite tournament and he always comes prepared.;)

Oh and btw, I signed up for the text message thing the Us Open does for the scores.:banana: IT's gonna text me scores of all the rounds and plus you can select players you wanna follow more closely (I guess they update you on those per set instead of after the match is done maybe?:shrug: I added Andy, Roger, Agassi, Lleyton, Kuerten, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Christine, Amelie, Sharapova and I think someone else to my list. They only have the top players in each event though for the "in depth" scoring crap. Anyways now I don't have to worry about scores while I'm in class.:banana:

I signed up for that too. I'm really excited for the USO to start :bounce: GO ANDY!!!

andyroxmysox12191
08-26-2004, 06:30 PM
nice nAldo :yeah: but why'd you put maria on there? i thought you didnt like her :p you wanna see where she loses dont you? ;)

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Naldo is a :devil:

Havok
08-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Maybe :angel: but she is a top 8 seed and she's been sucking major ass on the hardcourts after Wimbledon so I wanna see how she'll do at the US open.:) And besides only 2 of the people i added on to my list are faves, the others are people I wanna keep track of and I hate Christine as well, but she is the #1 seed so you gotta have all your bases covered.;)

superpinkone37
08-26-2004, 07:09 PM
ok naldo. you make sense, lol. i dont like justine either, but i always check up on the top seeds too, cuz the tournament could change for others based on how they do

RonE
08-26-2004, 07:46 PM
ok naldo. you make sense, lol. i dont like justine either, but i always check up on the top seeds too, cuz the tournament could change for others based on how they do

If gbpgpb or whatever his name is sees that, you're doomed :scared: :bolt:

Jennay
08-26-2004, 08:22 PM
:haha:

andyroxmysox12191
08-26-2004, 08:54 PM
:lol: nice explantation nAldo :yeah:

superpinkone37
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM

lol :haha: but we are all entitled to our favorites, right? well, shes not one of mine, lol

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 11:18 PM
so James pulled out and Wertheim is picking Roger to win...

RonE
08-26-2004, 11:21 PM

James Blake?! What reason was cited?

RonE
08-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Never mind, I know now. Should have taken the time to read more posts :o

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=14656

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Yea... well I didn't see it there but same article. Poor James :sad:

heya
08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
He called John Mc's talk show, said he played really well at Wimbledon & whined about his sadness.
He'd have 4-5 Slams today if he/his family weren't so content with his game & coaching. Maybe he'll find his talent?!:scared:

It's a big deal to slim down his body & stop the 1-2 point forehand ball bashing.
He can't drag his body around with heavy legs/arms.

Andy's amazed that his serve doesn't blow people off the court.
That's 'cuz he put too much speed/topspin on it.
Do you think a coach like Paul Annacone'd accept this stupidity?

Everyone knows that big backhands open up the court/keep an opponent off balance. (He doesn't know he's perfectly capable of running/rallying with the top players on hardcourt/grass & clay specialists on clay.)
I've seen 1 damn drop shot all summer & a few flat, angled shots.
Thanks to his belief in the Olympic hype & cowardice in May-June's clay season, he's lost over ranking 1000 points.:yeah: Poor ESPN! :tears:

I wonder why Gilbert was shocked to see his brilliant plan fall apart.
Andy isn't playing his game with common sense, but he loves listening to Gilbert:
Don't work on finesse/variety/ridding excessive topspin. Just pummel the ball as hard as possible. :o I knew Gilbert was trouble since he bragged that a 160 mph serve would be great.

I don't recall 145 mph serves, 9999 break points thrown away, choking & depressing interviews/humiliating speeches before June '03.

Havok
08-27-2004, 12:33 AM
:o He's known for being completely off his predictions though. Some of his picks for semifinalists were just hilarious at some points, in both the mens and women's field.:haha:

Jennay
08-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Oh poor James :sad:

Deboogle!.
08-27-2004, 02:14 AM
I know Naldo... I was just passing along what he said :) ;)

superpinkone37
08-27-2004, 05:50 AM
well i hope he is wrong. andy needs to defend his title!!! :)

J. Corwin
08-27-2004, 08:00 PM
About Scoville Jenkins:

This is an interesting matchup. Scoville Jenkins just recently won the boys 18 singles title last week at the USTA National Championships in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Scoville only lost 1 set in a field consisting of all the top US juniors including Brendan Evans, Scott Oudsema, and the often talked about Donald Young (who lost in the 4th round).
Scoville is a big 6'1" player who is one of the many top US prospects. He is solid from both wings with a nice 2-handed backhand and blazing serve
I don't see him getting past Roddick but it'll be a fun match to watch as Andy will probably be remembering when he was the up and coming junior star just a few years ago.

---------

^I found that in a forum.

superpinkone37
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
thanks for sharing :) yeah i think it will be an interesting match to watch, but hopefully not too tough

Deboogle!.
08-27-2004, 11:22 PM
If Andy doesn't really crush this kid I will be really worried. I'm not worried whether he'll win or not but this is the type of player andy should make mincemeat of. I'm sorry but it's true. no 7-5 and tiebreak sets in this one please, Andy!

superpinkone37
08-27-2004, 11:42 PM
yes, youre right. this is the US Open...andy has to step up his game right from the start. i cant wait to see and andy/rafi matchup in the second round though :)

Deboogle!.
08-27-2004, 11:52 PM
btw Ivo Heuberger is the qualifier Nadal will face... all I know about him is what Tennis-x says sometimes and that's that he dated Martina :haha: know nothing about his game or if he would have any shot at beating Nadal

oh and right on the front of the USO site it says "Serena and Andre Monday at 7" so I guess Andy's not playing til at least Tuesday :)

Deboogle!.
08-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Bud shut up :awww:

Roddick perfect fit to repeat at U.S. Open
No. 1 seed Federer, aging Agassi lurk if No. 2 seed falters

By Bud Collins
NBC Sports
Updated: 4:09 p.m. ET Aug. 28, 2004

Although Roger Federer has his number, I like Andy Roddick to repeat as champion at the U.S. Open. Roddick hasn稚 dominated on hardcourts like he did last summer, but the fiery 21-year-old seems to be a perfect fit for the loud and often zany confines of Flushing Meadows.

Behind top-ranked Federer and second-ranked Roddick, I壇 put former U.S. Open champions Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi as well as Argentina痴 David Nalbandian.

There are also a number of ambitious darkhorses looking to make a name for themselves.

Andy Roddick
While some analysts have noted how tough Roddick痴 draw is, it痴 nothing compared to Federer痴, who could meet up with crowd favorite Agassi in the quarterfinals.

The charged-up Roddick should have a cakewalk in his first-round meeting with 17-year-old Scoville Jenkins of Atlanta. Roddick's second-round match against Spanish phenom Rafael Nadal could be tricky, but the teen-ager might be overwhelmed playing on the big stage against America痴 greatest hope.

Roddick痴 toughest early test may come against 2000 titlist Marat Safin in the fourth round, but the mentally suspect Russian has had a lousy summer and hasn稚 showed the desire he displayed in reaching this year痴 Australian Open final. But Safin痴 certainly talented enough to give Roddick trouble if he痴 focused.

Roddick has the booming serves, ferocious forehand and competitiveness to repeat. But he値l need to return serve and paste his backhand and volley with the sure-handedness that he has been missing since Wimbledon.

He could meet Hewitt in the semifinals and then either Federer or Agassi in the final. Roddick has losing records against all three of those players.

andyroxmysox12191
08-28-2004, 11:10 PM
bud shut up!!!!!! :(:( as if we didnt know that or part of it at least :sad:

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 01:06 AM
Johnny Mac shut up!!!!! :smash:
-------

Roddick will keep Federer waiting
By John McEnroe
(Filed: 29/08/2004)

It took Stefan Edberg nine years to work out how to make Flushing Meadows' positive energy work for him before winning there two years on the trot. While it may not take Roger Federer, a similar character to the passive Swede, quite as long, I still believe the best player in the world has a bit to learn about the wildest venue in Grand Slam tennis before he can add the US Open title to his CV.

The special atmosphere in New York has always suited slightly crazed guys such as Jimmy Connors and myself, which is why I believe Andy Roddick will successfully defend his title over the next two weeks. The young American has learned how to control his emotions in the last year or so while still maximising the electrifying support he receives there.

The hullabaloo seems to unsettle Federer, who looks so much more relaxed in the more sedate surroundings of Wimbledon, just as Edberg did. The Swede hated Flushing Meadows, but the two eventually hit it off. Another reason why I think the Open could be the last major Federer wins is that hardcourts are his least favourite surface. At home on all courts as he is, Federer finds this surface the least forgiving when it comes to footwork.

The Swiss likes a little more give than these courts allow. He doesn't move as well on them as, say, Andre Agassi. Also, I believe he has hit a bit of a wall after a tremendous year. He had an incredible 23-match unbeaten run, during which he won Wimbledon, then immediately afterwards Gstaad and Toronto, where he beat Roddick in the final. A couple of days later, he was killing the Slovak Dominik Hrbaty in Cincinnati only to end up losing.

It probably explained why he underachieved at the Olympics, but then so many players did. I have never felt comfortable with tennis at the Olympics, but, like a return to wooden rackets, I suppose there is no going back now. At least they could make a better job of it than they do.

If this is an important event, as everyone keeps telling us, why is it the men's and women's games are holding tournaments at the same time? It wouldn't happen while a Wimbledon or an Open was going on. Also, why aren't the matches played over five sets like the majors?

But getting back to the Flushing Meadows, it will be interesting to see how fast the courts are this year. I played on the Louis Armstrong Court with my brother against the Bryant twins shortly before they left for Athens - perhaps that's what screwed them up in Greece - and the court was playing with some bounce. Courts like that favour players who use a lot of spin but generally they have made them quicker to suit American players such as Pete Sampras and Agassi.

I bet Tim Henman wishes Wimbledon's groundstaff were as accommodating with the speed of their courts which, I believe, have slowed down significantly, in spite of what they may say, ever since Lleyton Hewitt won there two years ago from the baseline. Roddick, who tends to stay well back when he receives, is quite happy with a high bounce but would probably prefer it a little quicker to add extra penetration to his already thunderous serve. Henman has been drawn in a quarter which is difficult initially, but if he makes it through to the second week - and that's an 'if' almost as big as his first-round opponent Ivo Karlovic - life should get easier. He could be in with worse people than clay-courters such as Carlos Moya and the French Open champion Gaston Gaudio. A good run at the Open, say to the quarters, would legitimise Henman's new standing as an all-court player. After what he achieved at Roland Garros this year, anything is possible.

Just when we were wondering whether Agassi is in his final year he beats a tremendous field at Cincinnati to put himself back in the mix. Another semi-final at the US Open is well within his reach. Juan Carlos Ferrero, however, will do well to repeat last year's final place. He was mentally and physically whipped by his efforts last year and it has clearly affected this year.

So a win for Roddick over Federer in the final, which should spice up the Masters in Houston nicely.

Jennay
08-29-2004, 01:15 AM
:smash:

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 03:02 AM
another :awww:
=====

Roddick aiming for back-to-back Opens

Matthew Cronin / tennisreporters.net
Posted: 35 minutes ago

The US Open is really all that's left for defending champion Andy Roddick this year. He's coming in ranked No. 2 without a big title run since he won Miami in March and although he's been in the mix at nearly every tournament he's played, he's frequently come up short.

Ask the 21-year-old whether a la Sampras he needs to win a Slam to have a good year and he says no, it's a great year when he wins a Slam. So now he says he's having a good year. But when you're America's top player coming into your home country Grand Slam, multiple winners like Sampras (five titles) Connors (five) and McEnroe (four) are the bar.
"If I don't' win here, all isn't lost," Roddick said. "I still have played pretty well this year. But it would be a little disappointing."

How disappointing is hard to say because Roddick's feelings can't be determined until and if he loses, and who he loses to. But unless it's against Agassi in the final, you would have to think he'd be devastated. Losing to Agassi in what will likely be the Las Vegan's last appearance at the Open would hurt, but Roddick admires him so much that it would probably take the sting off. But another loss to rivals Lleyton Hewitt in the semifinals or top ranked Roger Federer in the final would really sting. Given his tremendous weapons, he should be able too push past Hewitt at this point. And if he can't beat Federer in New York, he may never be able to beat the cool-handed Swiss anywhere.

Yet Roddick said he's feeling more comfortable with his game now than he was last year coming in, when he went undefeated during the US hardcourt season. It's obvious he's a better all around player than he was back then, but he's certainly not closing matches like he did last summer. In his past three tournaments on hard courts, he has fallen to Federer, Agassi and Fernando Gonzalez at the Olympics. His confidence is always there at closing time.

Roddick wasn't pleased when that was pointed out on Sunday, accusing a reporter of "nitpicking."

"I thought I played really well against Roger and Andre hit the ball as clean as he ever has against me," he said. "I'm not too worried. I've won my fair share of tournaments. I proven myself in the past at big tournaments."

In a way, Roddick is in better mental shape this year when he was last year because the world isn't pointing to him as the obvious choice to win the Open. He's already done so and his mental game isn't a completely open question, but it is one that is an evolving query. While he has shown himself capable of winning more than one Slam, with Federer around and playing well, he could be stuck as an obvious No. 2 player for a long time to come.

He and the Swiss' rivalry does not reach McEnroe-Borg, Connors-McEnroe, Lendl against those two brash Americans or Sampras-Agassi. It will only be true rivalry when Roddick can vastly improve his 1-7 record against Federer and beat him at a Grand Slam.

"With the 7-1 record against him, the rivalry has not quite started yet," Federer said. "The one time he beat was like 7-6 in the third. But I still feel like we've had great matches. Time will tell if it's really going to start."

For Roddick to get the party started, he'll have to win six matches to even get to Federer at the Open, who by the way, is no sure bet to reach the final given his poor record in New York. Roddick is sure to have some rough matches en route to the final, possibly against Spanish phenom Rafael Nadal in the second round, maybe against rough Argentine Guillermo Canas in the third round, raging Russian Marat Safin in the fourth round and possibly against the hobbled man he crunched in the final last year, Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero, in the quarters. Then it should be scrappy Hewitt in the semis and possibly Federer or Agassi in the final.

That will take a very high level of tennis from the now level-headed young American.

"I have it in the back of my head that I've done it before," Roddick said. "Last year was set up for catastrophe with me playing so well coming in. The if something would have happened, it would have been chaos. But I'm more relaxed his year and a little more confident."

If Roddick wins the title and grabs his second Slam, he immediately jump up until another class of players. Most players who have won at least two Slams in singles are considered Hall of Famers. The three other favorites in this tournament have: Federer, Hewitt and Agassi. Now it's time for Roddick to rock Ashe Stadium once again and declare it a place all his own.

"It's a place I'm comfortable," Roddick said. "I don't know if it's 'my house,' but it's maybe a hotel room I've stayed in before."

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 03:50 AM
the articles keep on rolling :S
======
Roddick feels relaxed, ready to defend title

BY CHARLES BRICKER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

NEW YORK - (KRT) - Cracking jokes and looking very relaxed, defending champion Andy Roddick of Boca Raton took a hard look at the U.S. Open on Saturday, three days before his first match, and he liked what he saw and the way he feels.

"I have that thing in the back of my head that I've done it before. Last year, it was set up for catastrophe with me playing so well coming in. Then, if something would have happened, it would have been chaos," Roddick said.

"But I think I'm a little bit more relaxed this year. Deep down, I'm a little more confident."

This being New York, there was tight security a year ago, but the security is heavily increased early this week with the GOP convention in town and concerns about terrorism.

Roddick hasn't noticed much so far.

"You see more police directing traffic, but that's about as much as I've seen of it," he said.

He'll see more as he gets out for dinner on off days, and he will get out. "I'm not one to sit in my room and order room service," he said.

When he was coached by Tarik Benhabiles, they were frequently at French restaurants. Asked what sort cuisine current coach Brad Gilbert prefers, Roddick said: "Expensive cuisine, that I have to pay for. He'll eat anything as long as it's expensive."

Roddick plays 17-year-old Scoville Jenkins of Atlanta in the opening round. Jenkins, wild-carded in by the United States Tennis Association, will be playing his first main-draw regular tour match.

star
08-29-2004, 03:56 AM
Beautiful!!

"It's a place I'm comfortable," Roddick said. "I don't know if it's 'my house,' but it's maybe a hotel room I've stayed in before."

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 04:37 AM
:lol: I liked that one too. Who knew Andy could wax poetic :p

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 04:46 AM
awwwwwwwww poor cute little Scoville
==
Scoville Jenkins Diary: Entry No. 2
by Scoville Jenkins
Saturday, August 28, 2004

Seventeen-year-old Scoville Jenkins of Atlanta is one of the most promising junior players in the country. Currently ranked sixth in the ITF World Junior Rankings, the 6' 1" right-hander received a wild card to compete in the US Open main draw as a result of winning the USTA National Championships recently held in Kalamazoo, Mich. Scoville will be playing defending champion Andy Roddick in his first-round match Tuesday night. He discusses the match-up against the tournament's No. 2 seed, Arthur Ashe Kids' Day and more in his second diary entry for USOPEN.org.

I really like New York. It's very different here compared to Atlanta, and though I'll probably find something entertaining to do while I'm visiting, most of all I want to focus on my tennis.

I flew to New York Thursday afternoon with my parents, sister, brother and coach, and slept most of the way on the plane. When we arrived, I went straight from the airport to Flushing Meadows, got my credentials, and then went to practice with Robby Ginepri. I've known him for awhile because he's also from Atlanta, and it was good to get on the court with him.

After Robby and I played for an hour or so, I got something to eat and came out to practice some more at 7:30 p.m. in Arthur Ashe Stadium. It was my first time playing in there, and it was an amazing experience for me.

The US Open draw was held this past Wednesday, and when I found out I was going to play Andy Roddick in the first round, I was both excited and nervous at the same time. Now, as the match gets closer, I'm very anxious to play. It'll be a really exciting experience for me, and I'm ready to go.

I think my game should match up pretty well to Andy's because I'm an aggressive baseliner, and I serve and volley every once in awhile, too. He has such a huge serve, though. I've never faced anything like it before, and I just need to make sure I can get it back over the net. After that, I think I can do pretty well on the ground. I've got my game plan figured out for the match, and I'm going to practice as much as I can every day, so I should be set to go for whenever we play. (Editor's Note: They will play on Tuesday night.)

It's just been such an incredible summer for me... reaching the semifinals at junior Wimbledon, then winning Kalamazoo, and now playing Andy Roddick in the main draw of the US Open!

Most likely, since Andy won the tournament here last year, we'll be playing our match in Arthur Ashe Stadium. It's hard to believe that at 17 years old, I'll be playing in Ashe Stadium, in front of thousands of people and on national television, too. There will be a lot of people watching, so afterwards, people will know who I am, and that'll be great.

I've actually spoken to Andy recently, and he congratulated me on my win at Kalamazoo. We talked a little, and it was a friendly conversation. He was really nice.

Besides getting ready for my first-round match, I took some time out Saturday morning to participate in Arthur Ashe Kids' Day. That was really a lot of fun. I was part of the "Stars of Tomorrow" portion of the show, and it will be televised Sunday on CBS. It was great to be part of Kids' Day simply because it honors Arthur Ashe. I'd love to participate in the event again in the future.

Now, though, it's back to business. I'm going to practice every day, get some good sleep, and just be prepared and ready to play my first-round match.

I'll be back to report on how everything went in the next few days.

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 04:55 AM
awwww i read that earlier today....now i am really looking forward to his match against andy. and i liked andy's comment too "It's a place I'm comfortable," Roddick said. "I don't know if it's 'my house,' but it's maybe a hotel room I've stayed in before." lol andy :)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 05:00 AM
I really really feel badly for Scoville... first of all he's named after the measuring scale for hot pepper spicyness. Then he draws Andy... and he thinks their games match up well together... awwwwwwwwwwwwwww I just wanna hug him!

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 05:09 AM
awwww i know, i read that and i was thinking, sure go ahead and say that your games match up well, but uh, hun ur not gonna last long on that court with andy on the other side of the net. lol, oh well. but thats gonna be an awesome experience for him. if i were in his place, like as junior or whatever, i would rather get my ass kicked by an awesome player like andy in a night match in arthur ashe stadium, than lose pretty badly to some unfamilair name out on court thirteen. it would be a really cool experience, IMO

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 05:15 AM
oh for SURE! I totally agree :) It sounds like he's all pumped up.. and he should be! It's great for him... and I'm sure he'll just go out there without any big expectations and just give it his all. and I hope Andy isn't easy on him ;)

Good to know that Andy will be playing Tuesday, too... though I have class til 4:30 pacific so won't get home til much later than that :mad:

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 05:19 AM
yeah i noticed that too, though we kinda figured he would be playing tuesday anyways. i would have rather him play monday cuz then i would be able to see two of his matches before i start school (on thursday ugh). and especially andy v. rafi, if rafi actually wins :)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 05:56 AM
:haha: I don't know if he was really named after the Scoville units system... but the Scoville scale is how to measure hot peppers hotness LMAO...

0-100 Scoville Units includes most Bell/Sweet pepper varieties.
500-1000 Scoville Units includes New Mexican peppers.
1,000-1,500 Scoville Units includes Espanola peppers.
1,000-2,000 Scoville Units includes Ancho & Pasilla peppers.
1,000-2,500 Scoville Units includes Cascabel & Cherry peppers.
2,500-5,000 Scoville Units includes Jalapeno & Mirasol peppers.
5,000-15,000 Scoville Units includes Serrano peppers.
15,000-30,000 Scoville Units includes de Arbol peppers.
30,000-50,000 Scoville Units includes Cayenne & Tabasco peppers.
50,000-100,000 Scoville Units includes Chiltepin peppers
100,000-350,000 Scoville Units includes Scotch Bonnet & Thai peppers.
200,000 to 300,000 Scoville Units includes Habanero peppers.
Around 16,000,000 Scoville Units is Pure Capsaicin.

http://www.tabasco.com/info_booth/faq/scoville_how.cfm

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 06:01 AM
lol :haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 06:22 AM
Here's what Matt Cronin has to say...

2-ANDY RODDICK (US) vs. SCOVILLE JENKINS (US)

Thus begins Roddick's defense of his US Open title and without question, he'll put up tremendous resistance. Last year, Roddick came into the Open as the hottest player on the planet, not having lost a match on the summer hard-court circuit. While Roddick has played well in US Open Series tournaments this summer, he's only won one title (Indianapolis) and lost crucial matches in Toronto and Cincinnati to rivals Roger Federer and Agassi. Then, at the Olympics, Fernando Gonzalez punched him out.

But the good thing about Roddick this year is that he almost never loses early and puts himself in the thick of every tournament. He's nearly unbreakable to players outside of the top 30 and has improved his all-around game. He's really just been a few volleys and backhands away from a few more titles.

Jenkins hails from Atlanta and earned his wild card by winning the USTA Boys' 18 National Championships in Kalamazoo. Said to be an aggressive all-around player, Jenkins will get a quick introduction to the big stage when he faces Roddick in Ashe Stadium. The kid may have a bright future, but his prospects look dim in this contest. Once a US Open junior champion himself, Roddick will take no mercy and send Jenkins scurrying to the outer courts waiting for the boys' draw to begin next week.

heya
08-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Bud & John:fiery::smash:
Clueless talk again. I wonder why they won't teach effortless tennis to Andy.
Seeing Bud showing off his pink pants & charisma makes me feel so warm inside.
Johnny Bore's marijuana consumption rendered him senseless.

Sheer ignorance.
SURE, head to head records are so damn useful. :mad::retard:
He was 17-21 years old & still struggling emotionally/physically.
If he had played his best with great coaching, but failed, then they can judge!
I've seen enough of others' matches to know that Andy could beat them any day.
Sadly, Andy has to fall on his face before he realizes that changes are important.

I want Andy to avoid Davis Cup participation as much as possible.
Pat/John use any excuse to downplay Andy's victories, but they want him by their side. 2-faced Pat/John = leeches.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 06:36 AM
so what he's saying is that andy's scoville units are through the roof?
mr. hot pepper man is not going to like that...

:haha: :haha: DEATH! :bigcry: :sobbing:

That was LAST summer.. Last summer Andy was a habanero... this summer, maybe just a chili de Arbol?

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 04:27 PM
two really nice articles! :)
====

Growing pains
Defending champ, ready to turn 22, has had his share of thrills and spills on and off the court

BY ARTHUR STAPLE
STAFF WRITER

August 29, 2004

He turns 22 tomorrow. Andy Roddick has had some memorable experiences in the past year, starting with winning the 2003 U.S. Open shortly after his 21st birthday. Memorable really is an inadequate word, though - even for a young man who likes to seize life by the throat, this has been a wild, wacky year.

There was that Open crown, the first major singles title for the precocious kid born in the Nebraska heartland and raised in tennis-loving cities around the United States. There were some great matches along the way - a tough five-set loss to Marat Safin in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, a four-set loss to his top-of-the- rankings nemesis, Roger Federer, for the Wimbledon championship - but there were headlines beyond the sports events.

He broke up with his famous girlfriend, singer/actress Mandy Moore, in March, after 18 months of dodging tabloid photographers. In May, at an event in Rome, Roddick helped evacuate people from a hotel when fire broke out. One of the people he helped escape from the blaze, which killed three people, was fellow pro Sjeng Schalken. Roddick has just arrived in New York from Athens, where he bowed out of the tennis competition in the third round but stayed on to soak up the Olympic experience and watch his good buddy Mardy Fish compete for a gold medal.

This doesn't just beat the average 21-year-old's existence. This stuff could make James Bond rethink his career choice.

"Here's the thing, too," Brad Gilbert, Roddick's coach said. "He's getting better. People want to see results, and maybe they don't always come. And when he walks into the Open [tomorrow], they announce that he's the defending champion. That means something."

It means plenty to those around Roddick, to those in the marketing world who blew up the fresh-faced kid before he'd ever won a major. But to Roddick, it means very little to arrive in New York the week before the Open and see his face plastered everywhere.

"All this stuff ..." he said. "I got here [to New York] a week early so I could take care of all this stuff. Now, I can focus on what I have to do."

He has tried to do that all season, his first full year with Gilbert coaching him.

When Roddick hired Gilbert days before the 2003 Wimbledon tournament, it seemed unreasonable to think the anti-philosophical, anti-drill instructor teachings of Gilbert could help Roddick so quickly. When Roddick raised the Open trophy over his head last September, that notion was dispelled - and plenty of hopeful American fans believed that Roddick had arrived, that the time was nigh to anoint him the rightful heir to the Connors-McEnroe-Agassi throne.

He is 60-13 this season, with four titles (three on American hard courts), and he reached the Wimbledon final in fine form, but people want immediate domination.

"If people are saying [I've had a disappointing season so far], then I can only imagine what they're saying about everyone else," Roddick said. "I put my match record up against anybody's."

"There's no magic pill," Gilbert said. "Hopefully, in 10 years, he'll be in the same breath as those guys. If it doesn't happen right away, if it doesn't happen here this year, then it'll happen the year after. The biggest thing for tennis players is short-term memory loss.

"You can't live in the past."

Gilbert and Roddick have gotten accustomed to one another over this year - surely Roddick has heard more than one human being can rightfully stand to hear about the prospects of the Golden State Warriors, one of Oakland native Gilbert's beloved teams and favorite subjects during practice time.

"We're like an old married couple now," Roddick said. "We get along well most times; we have our tiffs. But we're comfortable. I'm soaking up knowledge every day. I'm almost 22; I don't know anything about the game compared to most guys out there. The thing Brad and I agree on most is that we don't like things uber-complicated."

The decision to play in Athens was a no-brainer for Roddick, who is a dedicated Davis Cupper, as well. Even when he lost to eventual bronze medallist Fernando Gonzalez, Roddick did not think twice about staying on rather than returning to perhaps play an Open tuneup event.

"Mardy was my roommate in the [athletes'] village, so that made the decision easier," Roddick said. "It was just an unbelievable experience. Like being in a college dorm, but with neighbors who can run 100 meters in under 10 seconds ... It makes you appreciate what you have, too, when you're meeting these world-class athletes who all have second jobs. Very humbling."

But now he is back in New York, back on center stage. If anyone felt Roddick was struggling on his way into the Open, Gilbert offers a sports analogy to serve notice.

"Let's say Barry Bonds wasn't doing so well, in a slump," he said. "But he hits .500 in San Diego, and he's on his way to San Diego. He hits well in that park. The crowd gets behind him there. This is what the next two weeks can be like. And the biggest thing is, every other day, find a way to win three sets. You know what it takes."

==========
==========
==========

Everything changed for Roddick after Open
By JANET PASKIN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: August 29, 2004)

In cargo pants and a gray T-shirt, flanked by a couple of friends, Andy Roddick could have been a frat boy on the way to the movies.

Which, in a sense, he was.

On a temperate New York night, five days before the start of the U.S. Open, Roddick settled into a comfortable theater seat to watch the story of his life.

His complicated birth that might have resulted in brain damage. His rise to tennis stardom and relationship with pop star Mandy Moore. His emotional on-court displays and the speculation that he was nothing more than "a male Kournikova."

Then, finally, the 2003 U.S. Open, Roddick's first Grand Slam title, the victory that proved he had been worth the hype.

Last year's Open made a perfect finale for ESPN's "SportsCentury: Andy Roddick." Without it, Roddick's tennis would not have justified such treatment. Fifty weeks ago, Roddick proved he could win a Slam and set off a year that firmly established him on the men's tour. With a year's worth of confidence, he returns to New York to defend his Open title, starting with his first-round match Tuesday.

"Thoughts start running through your mind. You're here for the Open; you're in New York City; there's a buzz," Roddick said. "I'm definitely excited. A lot of good feelings are coming back to me, and hopefully that'll mean something come Monday or Tuesday."

Roddick doesn't enter the tournament with the same momentum he had last summer, when he won all but one of 21 matches between Wimbledon and the beginning of the U.S. Open. But he has had a good year and a good summer on the hardcourt circuit. He lost to Roger Federer in the final at Wimbledon and again a month later in a Masters Series final in Montreal, and a surging Andre Agassi knocked Roddick out of a tournament in Washington. Roddick's run at the Athens Olympics was more of a slow jog Chilean Fernando Gonzalez beat him in straight sets in the round of 16 but Roddick stayed in Greece to cheer on teammate Mardy Fish.

"Selfishly, I wanted to see it; I wanted to see my friend do well," Roddick said. "It was a pretty easy decision. And I was having a blast in the village. It was like living in a college dorm with people who can run the 100 in under 10 seconds."

Roddick would have been happy to fade into the background to cheer for Fish, but if winning a Slam has changed anything, it is his off-the-court profile. Roddick was startled to hear that the Australian women's water polo team had bet as to who might be the first to "snog," or kiss, Roddick. The tennis player did pose for a picture with the whole team, then later joked that he was scared they might've attacked.

Those will be the moments for the next documentary. In the meanwhile, Roddick is still looking for a third rabbit to pull out of his backwards baseball cap. His big, bad serve and wicked forehand have been enough to make him the No. 2 player in the world, but it is no secret that he needs something more to hang with Federer, who has the top seed at the Open. Federer has defeated Roddick seven of eight times, and after their four-set match in the finals at Wimbledon, Roddick commented, "I'm going to have to start winning some of them to call it a rivalry."

Before Roddick can even get to Federer, he may have to contend with Marat Safin, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Lleyton Hewitt.

"The men's game is so deep right now, if you're off and someone else is on, you're out," said Brad Gilbert, who started coaching Roddick after his first-round exit from the 2003 French Open.

The coaching switch garnered plenty of attention in the sport, and many attribute Roddick's success over the last year to Gilbert's sometimes unconventional methods. It merited plenty of airtime in the film Wednesday night, and Gilbert, who seems to be everywhere with Roddick these days, joined him for the screening.

Roddick pronounced the whole SportsCentury experience wonderful but decidedly "weird" weird to see his first 21 years documented in high definition, weird to hear Elton John refer to Roddick's "rock-star quality," weird to watch the small audience react.

The film closed with a closeup of Roddick raising the U.S. Open trophy high overhead.

"I've got to to do that again sometime," Roddick said from his seat in the screening room.

"Like maybe in two weeks," one of his buddies suggested.

"Well," Roddick replied, "I'm already here."

=========
==========
==========

Golfnduck
08-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the articles Deb!!! I really enjoyed the second one!!!! I'm SOOO excited for USO tomorrow!!! GO ANDY!!!!

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 07:53 PM
PMac had some wicked good crack today...

Andre, Mardy, Lleyton and Andy as the semifinalists with an Andy/Andre final and Andy "winning a thriller in 5" - is he SERIOUS????? MARDY in the semifinal... Andre beating Roger... Andy making the final with his form this year? Is he SERIOUS! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

papasmurf11
08-29-2004, 08:04 PM
I know I was thinking wtf what is he smoking?How can you not put Federer in the finals!

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 08:27 PM

Andre, Mardy, Lleyton and Andy as the semifinalists with an Andy/Andre final and Andy "winning a thriller in 5" - is he SERIOUS????? MARDY in the semifinal... Andre beating Roger... Andy making the final with his form this year? Is he SERIOUS! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

:worship: Exactly what i was thinking! I think I posted on the "Chit Chat Thread" if anyone saw his picks and luckily enough you did lol. Pat Mac's picks were kinda :scared: I mean, Roger not making the finals?!?!?! :eek: I don't know and no offense to any of you, you all know I'm an Andy fan but I doubt he'll make it to the finals. He's just not being the same Andy as last year... but who knows right? Anything can happen... I hope he does well still though. As for Roger, he's on fire so I 'm pretty sure he'll make it. Again, there's really no guarantee and it IS the USO.

TinyT
08-29-2004, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=RoddickBabe10]:worship: Exactly what i was thinking! I think I posted on the "Chit Chat Thread" if anyone saw his picks and luckily enough you did lol. Pat Mac's picks were kinda :scared: I mean, Roger not making the finals?!?!?! :eek: I don't know and no offense to any of you, you all know I'm an Andy fan but I doubt he'll make it to the finals. He's just not being the same Andy as last year... but who knows right? Anything can happen... I hope he does well still though. As for Roger, he's on fire so I 'm pretty sure he'll make it. Again, there's really no guarantee and it IS the USO.[/QUO

i agree w/ u roddickbabe, andy's chances for winning the USO again area lil :scratch: :unsure: if u ask me. i luv the boy and all, but i don't know. good luck to him anyways...

papasmurf11
08-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah and his draw this year is alot harder I dont know if he will make it but I hope he does!

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:00 PM

yeah, when i heard that i was like wtf...but you know, thats how i would want the sraw to work out probably. i actually like his picks....the problem is, theres no way its gonna work out like that. i do think andy will reach the final again though.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Well his draw was brutal last year too - Henman, Ljubicic, Nalbandian, Schalken, Nalbandian... these guys are no slouches. And he had people like Roger and Schuettler in his half too, people just beat them before they got to Andy.

I don't think it makes a person a "bad fan" or I don't think it's a horrible negative thing to think realistically that Andy's form simply has not been convincing enough for the past couple months to lead me to believe that he will defend his title. Period. It has nothing to do with being negative or having no faith in Andy, it's just looking at what's happened and realizing that he's simply not playing as well as he was at this time last year. Plus you have people like Safin and Hewitt, who are both in his half, who are very capable of beating Andy who are factors this year (and weren't really factors last year for whatever reason).

I don't think PMac's picking Andre over Roger is THAT out of line... I think Andre is going to pull out all the stops and try to 'pull a Pete' - he may not be successful, against Roger or someone else, but I have a feeling he's going to give it everything he has, and more. Andre's chances against Roger depend on how easily he gets through his matches before that. If he's getting through his matches relatively easily and has a lot left by the QF, then I would give Andre a realistic shot, especially considering the NY atmosphere, the crowd, and all those intangibles that would mostly be in Andre's favor. That still might not be enough, but I don't think it's outside the realm of reasonable possibility either.

All that said, Andy is obviously *capable* of winning... he has finally beaten both Marat and Lleyton this year and in "his hotel" he would have to feel pretty confident going into either of those matches. And I agree with whichever pundit that said that if Andy and Roger play in the final and Andy doesn't win then he might never beat Roger anywhere...

:o sorry for the book, I had to vent I guess LOL... I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too much. I'll assess my opinions again after I see everyone's first couple matches. Like I said to someone or in an MSN chat, IMO if Andy gets into a tiebreak with lil Scoville, then Andy's in trouble. he has to go out there Tuesday and make a serious statement, to himself, to the fans, and to the other players in the field. He can't do what he did at Wimby and get into 7-5 and 7-6 sets with people like Jimmy Wang and Peya... IMO.

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:12 PM
you are totally right deb :) its not like he hasnt been able to win with some tough draws-- last year was pretty tough...he just played great and had some luck along the way. i know andy is capable of winning it again, and as of right now i do believe that he can defend his title or at least get to the final. we will have to see how he plays, starting on tuesday, cuz youre right, he needs to play well right from the beginning which means he cant have close sets with someone like scoville. and i always like reading your "books", lol, cuz you always have something interesting to say and youre usually right :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:14 PM
You are right, Bunk! Andy definitely has to step up against Scoville and prove to everyone that he has the desire to defend his title. I guess we'll all see after a couple matches if he really does have another shot at defending his title. It's just that personally, you know, he was in a different level last year. This year, I don't know maybe he just needs to focus a little bit more and you know, as much as I love the emotion he has got going on, maybe that's a factor so maybe he needs to put that aside or replace it with amazing winners instead lol. I still want him to defend his title and hopefully he'll step up his game and prove me wrong for doubting him lol.

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:15 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bunk18bsb again.

:banghead: that was supposed to be for your "book", Well said, bunk! :)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:17 PM
I still want him to defend his title and hopefully he'll step up his game and prove me wrong for doubting him lol.

haha glad a couple people read my diatribe :p

Andyway what I quoted above... yea exactly. I'd much rather be wrong then get my hopes up and then get disappointed. My brain works much much better that way. When I get my brain up for the worst (in whatever it might be), I'm not as upset, and then when something better happens, it's that much sweeter :)

Plus, and it depends on your perspective I suppose, I don't see what we're doing as doubting him. It's not like he's played awesomely all summer and we have reason to believe he will continue that. He didn't play HORRIBLY, but he got lucky and scraped through a couple of really tough matches. The last thought we have of him in a competitive atmosphere, though, is an absolutely abysmal mental performance. I'm not using that too much in my opinion of what he'll do at the USO simply because the USO is so special for him and he just always has played his best here. There's no reason to believe that won't be the case again, which is why I'm trying really hard to wait til his first couple matches to really form an opinion - yea right as if that works :lol:

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:21 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth, Bunk! :yeah: It is better to just, you know, expect the worst than keep your hopes up then get disappointed.

I guess, you know, I still have to put in the back of my mind that this IS the US Open and the crowd will for sure help Andy and hopefully get through his matches pretty easily. Anyways, I haven't heard anything about Brad lately, :scratch:

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:23 PM
For sure :) For my brain anyway. Some people deal with disappointment better than I do and things like that and for them if they want to just assume Andy will win, that's great. I just can't do it :) For those that were here during RG, they remember my really scary freak-out... it made Andy winning Queens and having a good Wimby feel so much better since I was convinced he was gonna crash out (ask tangy, I really scared her :lol: )

yea Brad hasn't done an update lately. but in some of the articles I posted yesterday and today, he must have spoken to some of the press.. I liked what he said about having a sub-par year but then going to the place you feel really comfortable.

and I gotta say, if this is Andy's "subpar" year and he's still #2 and almost certainly in the top 5 by years-end... well then that's ok :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
:lol: Bunk! So I take it you're one of those that can't eat during tough matches or better yet, can't look at the tv? lol

Oh thanks for posting that about Brad! I'm glad he's still alive lol

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:28 PM
For sure :) For my brain anyway. Some people deal with disappointment better than I do and things like that and for them if they want to just assume Andy will win, that's great. I just can't do it :) For those that were here during RG, they remember my really scary freak-out... it made Andy winning Queens and having a good Wimby feel so much better since I was convinced he was gonna crash out (ask tangy, I really scared her :lol: )

i really dont know how you guys all react because i havent been here all that long, but i think i am one of those that do not handle disappointment well either. and you have a really good point about you know, not expecting him to win everything, and when he does do better than you expected, its even better. i think i am going to have to start thinking more like that-- it really makes a lot of sense. :)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:29 PM
ummm no I can't eat during tough matches lmfao. I always make sure I eat beforehand. I know how confident I am if I feel hungry during a match LMAO

I can look at the TV just fine... my problem is when I have to follow a scoreboard. If I can watch how someone is playing and get a sense of how I feel they'll do at a tense point in the match, I'm a LOT better than if I am just watching the scoreboard and it's a tiebreak. Just ask everyone else what I'm like in our MSN chats... I'm sure they won't have very nice things to say ;)

And hey, Danielle, that's just what works for me. I know it doesn't work well for some of our friends here (though I don't appreciate when people tell me I'm stupid and to shut up for being negative but that's a different story :p)... like I said that just works for ME. I don't see it as being down on Andy (or myself, since I use the same tactic on myself and it works especially well, especially when I applied to college and law school :)) - it's just easier for my particular brain to process things like this. Sometimes it's just telling myself "oh he'll lose" or "oh I'll get rejected" - just helps me sleep better at night sometimes :D

LCeh
08-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Maybe because my position is kind of opposite to Deb's, but I am trying to be as objective as possible, and I still think Andy has a great chance.

His serve is always there, and only a few people can rally with his monstrous forehand. Combine that with a solid backhand, decent volleys, good court coverage, he has a very good chance. Roger, his game depends on a lot more things. When his game is on, of course he is very good, but he does not have the weapons that Andy has. When Roger plays bad, he has to figure out a way to get his rhythm back. When Andy plays bad, he can still rely on his serve and forehand. Roger doesn't have that.

Plus this is the USO, and he has always played well. No matter how bad his form has look this year- which isn't bad at all, going far in all the hard courts tournaments except Athens- he will always bring out his best stuff when he needs it, just like at Wimbledon. He didn't play all that well up until the final, but like other great players, he was able to lift his game and almost pulled it off.

So, I think Andy definitely has a decent chance here.

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:32 PM
lol Bunk! That's funny (in a good way)

I'm more of like the big eater during matches though. I have to eat alot while watching tough matches, cuz I don't know I guess I get relief from that lol. And I'm sort of like the person who yells at the tv and goes "WTF is wrong with you?" lol.

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:32 PM
lol im one of those who cant eat either....all i can do is bite practically my whole freaking finger off. i dont even know when i started that, i just started realizing that my nails dont look so hot anymore, especially after some tough match or something. and omg, those scoreboards are killer. but now that i have found you all to talk to during matches hopefully it wont be as bad, like say next year when they dont televise a lot of the matches.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Plus this is the USO, and he has always played well. No matter how bad his form has look this year- which isn't bad at all, going far in all the hard courts tournaments except Athens- he will always bring out his best stuff when he needs it, just like at Wimbledon. He didn't play all that well up until the final, but like other great players, he was able to lift his game and almost pulled it off.

Well, see, half of me totally agrees with this. The fact that the USO has always been so special for him is the one thing that helps my positive side. But I still won't expect to see him in the final or expect him to beat Hewitt or even Safin and Nadal and Canas... my brain just won't let me go there. It depends on the opponent. If he has even a close set against Scoville I will be a lot more upset than if he loses a set to someone like Nadal and still wins... if that makes sense.

Ugh... is it Tuesday afternoon yet? This would all be so much easier if we could just see him play. It's the anticipation and not knowing what the players' forms are like that's so killer lol

LOL About the eating. And oh I definitely scream at Andy (and all the other players) when they either do stuff I like or hate LOL

oh Danielle our MSN chats have helped me SO much. I know I drive everyone really crazy but you all are wonderful and put up with my insanity and it helps a lot to just have people that understand to chat with and break the ice. like when Naldo cracks a joke when Andy is BP down or something... it helps bigtime :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:36 PM
lol superpink! "i just started realizing that my nails dont look so hot anymore" that's so hilarious! :haha: Careful with your fingernails now, lol.

LCeh, that was a great post! Especially coming from a Fed fan :yeah: I agree with you mostly but I don't know, I'm a big doubter so I guess I have to calm down a little bit and believe in Andy's capability lol.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LCeh again.

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:37 PM
And hey, Danielle, that's just what works for me. I know it doesn't work well for some of our friends here (though I don't appreciate when people tell me I'm stupid and to shut up for being negative but that's a different story :p)... like I said that just works for ME. I don't see it as being down on Andy (or myself, since I use the same tactic on myself and it works especially well, especially when I applied to college and law school :)) - it's just easier for my particular brain to process things like this. Sometimes it's just telling myself "oh he'll lose" or "oh I'll get rejected" - just helps me sleep better at night sometimes :D

thanks for that Deb. i know that it will be different for each person, but as i know i am someone who doesnt handle disappointment well, i think that would be a good perspective for me. its just the way we handle it mentally i guess, and i hate when i get upset over stuff, its just the way i am i guess, and i get really upset over stuff that i shouldnt even really worry about.

btw roddickbabe, i may not be able to eat during a match, but along with the nail biting, i am definalty one that is constantly yelling at the tv :p

LCeh
08-29-2004, 09:39 PM
I wonder how much is still left in Hewitt though. He has played 2 complete weeks of tennis, and is going for another 2 more of grand slam tennis.

Marat, if he actually gets far enough to meet Andy, I would start to worry, but until then, it's Safin, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. ;)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:39 PM
btw roddickbabe, i may not be able to eat during a match, but along with the nail biting, i am definalty one that is constantly yelling at the tv :p

I wonder how much noise we'd make if we watched a match together :haha: :lol:

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:41 PM
oh Danielle our MSN chats have helped me SO much. I know I drive everyone really crazy but you all are wonderful and put up with my insanity and it helps a lot to just have people that understand to chat with and break the ice. like when Naldo cracks a joke when Andy is BP down or something... it helps bigtime :)

thats really awesome about what i can look forward to during the MSN chats :). i dunno if i will be chatting so much during the OPen cuz i cant see the tv from my computer, lol, and i definatly need to be in view of the tv (geez i need to get myself one of those laptops, lol :p). but when we must rely on those stupid scoreboards, i know that the chats are definatly gonna help me :yeah:

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:41 PM
I wonder how much is still left in Hewitt though. He has played 2 complete weeks of tennis, and is going for another 2 more of grand slam tennis.

Marat, if he actually gets far enough to meet Andy, I would start to worry, but until then, it's Safin, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem. ;)

Hewitt's form, IMO, is getting back to how it was before and I definitely think he's a big factor and if he meets Andy then :scared: And Marat, I love the guy and everything but I don't know if I'm worrying about him... yet.

You are totally right, bunk! The anticipation just kills.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:42 PM
LOL Levin... well I've read that Marat is gonna try to give it his all at the USO... in which case, Andy's in trouble. And a best-of-5 match favors Marat over a best-of-3 IMO. The only thing that might help Andy is that it would most likely be at night and him at night at the USO just tends to produce a little bit of magic... I hope...

Hewitt's in good shape, he shouldn't have a problem. We'll see what he does when he actually meets a top player though, he hasn't exactly had the best opposition in the past couple weeks lol

thanks for that Deb. i know that it will be different for each person, but as i know i am someone who doesnt handle disappointment well, i think that would be a good perspective for me. its just the way we handle it mentally i guess, and i hate when i get upset over stuff, its just the way i am i guess, and i get really upset over stuff that i shouldnt even really worry about.

Well, then I suggest you try it. It's hard to sort of convince yourself of something... but if you can do it, it really helps. It doesn't completely assuage the disappointment but sometimes it can really help. Like the Wimby final... I just thought Andy had NO CHANCE... so even after he won the first I didn't think he was gonna win, so then when he lost.. I was a little sad but not really. Then on the other hand, that's why I was SO heated after the French Open because I thought Andy would have won that match.

And like, when I was waiting to hear from law schools, every day when I checked my mail I just expected to see some small envelopes in my box... and then when a big one came... it felt that much better and hurt that much less when I did get a small one. :shrug: it just really works for me. I'm sure it's not something that works for everyone :)

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I wonder how much noise we'd make if we watched a match together :haha: :lol:

lol, i cant even imagine :lol: and yeah whats killing me right now is not knowing how andy is and will be playing.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Watching the Kids Day today actually made me feel a bit better. I was talking with Jen about it on MSN and she said the same thing. Andy just fits into the atmosphere, he was so happy-looking and relaxed and comfortable on that court. It's really made a difference for him in the past, I hope it does again :)

papasmurf11
08-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Thats me screaming and throwing things or jumping around! My friends say I go mental!I like eat popcorn or some sort of candy its easy to throw!
lol Bunk! That's funny (in a good way)

I'm more of like the big eater during matches though. I have to eat alot while watching tough matches, cuz I don't know I guess I get relief from that lol. And I'm sort of like the person who yells at the tv and goes "WTF is wrong with you?" lol.

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, then I suggest you try it. It's hard to sort of convince yourself of something... but if you can do it, it really helps. It doesn't completely assuage the disappointment but sometimes it can really help. Like the Wimby final... I just thought Andy had NO CHANCE... so even after he won the first I didn't think he was gonna win, so then when he lost.. I was a little sad but not really. Then on the other hand, that's why I was SO heated after the French Open because I thought Andy would have won that match.:)

yeah see thats exactly my problem. i went into that match thinking andy had a really big chance, and when he won that first set, i was like omg he's totally gonna win this thing. and then i was just so disappointed. lol that was like a perfect example of what i should be trying to do. i just hate getting upset when andy loses or whatever, but i just cant seem to help it. so i if i change a little how i think going into matches, maybe i can work on trying to convince myself, and hopefully i can do it. :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:48 PM
i'm the exact same way! i'm all screaming "that was so out!" despite the fact that i really don't know...i'm surprised the people in the surrounding apartments haven't told me to shut up yet. i guess with the USO starting tomorrow there's more of an opportunity (hopefully for yelling postive things though...).

:haha: Bad line calls drive me nuts too! Sometimes, I'd slap the tv when the cameramen focus on the umpire :scratch:

I agree with you, papasmurf candy and popcorn are easier to throw at the tv!

Oh the joy of watching tennis on tv... :lol:

Jennay
08-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Levin, I totally agree with your posts on Andy's chances so far.
IMO, his draw isn't as hard as it was last year. Scoville is a junior who is going to be on the biggest stage of his career. Safin, if he gets that far, is up and down. The way he has been playing, I don't see him getting there. Hewitt has had 3 straight finals in 3 straight weeks. That is tough on the body, even if you're very fit.

This is Andy's tournament guys, its where he has always done well, and is always comfortable. Have faith! :D

Also, seeing Arthur Ashe Kids' Day really gave me a different look to Andy's chances. Knowing he is happy to be there, makes all the difference.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:50 PM
yeah see thats exactly my problem. i went into that match thinking andy had a really big chance, and when he won that first set, i was like omg he's totally gonna win this thing. and then i was just so disappointed. lol that was like a perfect example of what i should be trying to do. i just hate getting upset when andy loses or whatever, but i just cant seem to help it. so i if i change a little how i think going into matches, maybe i can work on trying to convince myself, and hopefully i can do it. :)

Then I definitely suggest it :) Then there are times when I'm convinced Andy will lose and then he wins - like against Spadea in Miami and Tommy in Cincy. B/c then when he does win, it makes it even that much sweeter :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:52 PM
B/c then when he does win, it makes it even that much sweeter :)

:worship: :worship:

There is no feeling like being proven wrong, especially in Andy's case.

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:52 PM

Absolutely!! Some people hate to be wrong... but when I try to make my expectations low for Andy or anything to do with myself or anything else that I do this for (and that's a lot of things really LMFAO) I love to be wrong ;)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Absolutely!! Some people hate to be wrong... but when I try to make my expectations low for Andy or anything to do with myself or anything else that I do this for (and that's a lot of things really LMFAO) I love to be wrong ;)

I really like you as a poster, bunk! You have a great attitude, you'll definitely go far with that! lol :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 09:55 PM
ooh, nice! i'd like to think that deep down in his heart mr. umpire can feel that...

:haha: :haha:
I certainly hope so :lol:

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 09:56 PM

so so true. i mean normally i hate being wrong.....but in this case, like if i was thinking andy would not get beat a certain player, not get to a certain round, not defend a certain title.....if i was wrong then, then i would love being wrong :)

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 09:57 PM
I really like you as a poster, bunk! You have a great attitude, you'll definitely go far with that! lol :)

aww! *blushing and speechless* :hug:

Jennay
08-29-2004, 09:59 PM
:haha: Andy hasn't even played one match at the USO and we already have 16 pages down. ;)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 10:00 PM
aww! *blushing and speechless* :hug:

:hug: :hug: :)

:haha: Jennay... :yeah:

superpinkone37
08-29-2004, 10:03 PM
:haha: Andy hasn't even played one match at the USO and we already have 16 pages down. ;)

lol that is kinda funny, but this is the US OPEN, so thats just fine :) we will probably tack another few pages on here before he even plays his first match lol

Deboogle!.
08-29-2004, 10:04 PM

well, star started the thread really early... and... umm... shush!

It's only 8 pages for me anyway ;)

tangerine_dream
08-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi guys! I just got back from the finals. Lleyton kicked Peruvian butt out there! Yaay! :banana: I'll post my little report later.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Bunk! :yeah: It is better to just, you know, expect the worst than keep your hopes up then get disappointed.

I have a bad habit of convincing myself that it's someone's "time" and that there's no way they're going to lose. Then they go and lose and I am crushed! That's happened to me twice this year: I thought for sure Andy would beat Roger at Wimby, and the latest one being Mardy choking the gold medal away. Those two matches were the biggest heartbreakers for me. I was so sure a true rivalry would be borne between my two faves at Wimby. Nope. Flat-out ownership. Then I was convinced that it was Mardy's time to shine bright and step out of Andy's shadow once and for all. Denied again! :crying2:

Twice bitten, twice shy. My gut feelings have let me down. I'm now going to retrain myself to keep expectations low and ignore what my gut supposedly says. It keeps heartbreaking disappointment at bay. :p

J. Corwin
08-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I was about to post on my optimistic feeling on Andy but Levin has pretty much already posted what I was going to say. ;) :lol:

It will be dissappointing if Andy has a close match with Scoville but it doesn't make me think that Andy's going to do any worse in the tournament. It's natural to start off a tournament a lil sluggish and rusty anyway. Andy showed what he was capable of doing in tight tight situations last year against Nalby...he can do it again this year if the going gets rough. :)

And PMac...just putting in Americans to be there in the 2nd weekend...and Lleyton. ;) Wishful thinking by him, Bud, AND Jmac. :p But I'll put Andy as the winner too. :cool:

I enjoyed Arthur Ashe Kids Day, but imo it wasn't as funny as last year's. :)

RoddickBabe10
08-29-2004, 10:43 PM
I have a bad habit of convincing myself that it's someone's "time" and that there's no way they're going to lose. Then they go and lose and I am crushed! That's happened to me twice this year: I thought for sure Andy would beat Roger at Wimby, and the latest one being Mardy choking the gold medal away. Those two matches were the biggest heartbreakers for me. I was so sure a true rivalry would be borne between my two faves at Wimby. Nope. Flat-out ownership. Then I was convinced that it was Mardy's time to shine bright and step out of Andy's shadow once and for all. Denied again!

Awe, Tangerine! I'm sorry :hug:! The Wimby final, I was bummed out but I decided not to watch the match and recorded it instead, before I watched it I logged on here to find out that he lost lol so I wasn't necessarily heartbroken lol The SF match against Agassi, though, that made me cry for some reason (I was ot confident he was gonna win lol)

andyroxmysox12191
08-30-2004, 01:37 AM
*sigh* i'm gone for a day and you guys post like apeshit ;) :p

Deboogle!.
08-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Mani I repeat... HOW WAS YOUR DAY!!!!!?!?

star
08-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Maybe because my position is kind of opposite to Deb's, but I am trying to be as objective as possible, and I still think Andy has a great chance.

His serve is always there, and only a few people can rally with his monstrous forehand. Combine that with a solid backhand, decent volleys, good court coverage, he has a very good chance. Roger, his game depends on a lot more things. When his game is on, of course he is very good, but he does not have the weapons that Andy has. When Roger plays bad, he has to figure out a way to get his rhythm back. When Andy plays bad, he can still rely on his serve and forehand. Roger doesn't have that.

Nice post. :)

I think the "low expectations" thing is a very common devise people use to avoid disappointment, but I think these elite athletes are a lot more positive about life and about themselves. It would be hard for them to do what they want to do if they went about it that way. Roger didn't really start doing well until he got that whole selbstvertrauen stuff going. I used to read story after story where Roger bemoaned his lack of self confidence. Now he's got it cranking.

This USO will never match last year. It can't even if Andy wins the whole thing. I want to see Andy do well and play his best tennis. That's my goal for the USO.

I also would love it if Guga played well, but I don't truly expect that. I want Lleyton is always one of the guys I would like to see win the whole thing, and I would LOVE it if JCF chose this tournament to snap back. And :inlove: the Swedes! None of them have a real shot, but I'd love to see them do well. And too bad baby Nadal, you've got to lose second round. :)

andyroxmysox12191
08-30-2004, 01:56 AM
go online deb and i'll tell you :p

Deboogle!.
08-30-2004, 01:56 AM
I can't... tons to do and I'm cooking dinner :(

andyroxmysox12191
08-30-2004, 02:02 AM
:sad:

Mr. Man
08-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Well, duck fans rule all.

tangerine_dream
08-30-2004, 02:36 AM
17 pages now. ;)

US OPEN
August 29, 2004
Roddick Faces Many Challengers in Title Defense

TOP TWO LEAD THE WAY -- Top-ranked Roger Federer and No. 2/defending US Open champion Andy Roddick met in the last Grand Slam final at Wimbledon on July 4 with Federer winning in four sets. Both players have combined for a 118-18 match record (.867) with 12 titles this season.

Federer leads the way with a 58-6 match record and an ATP-best eight titles, including Grand Slam crowns at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Roddick leads the ATP circuit with 60 match wins (60-12), including a 44-8 mark on hard courts, and is second with four titles. Last year both players won their first career Grand Slam title Federer at Wimbledon and Roddick at the US Open. Roddick finished No. 1 last year and held the top spot for 13 weeks before Federer took over the top spot this year on Feb. 2 after winning the Australian Open. IF the two would reach the US Open final, it would be the first time since 1996 the top two seeds reached the championship. That year, No. 1 Pete Sampras defeated No. 2 Michael Chang.

THE DEFENDING CHAMPION Last year Roddick came into the US Open as the No. 4 seed and with a 20-1 North American summer hard court record, winning titles in Indianapolis, ATP Masters Series Montreal and ATP Masters Series Cincinnati before putting together his title run at Flushing Meadows. He rallied from a two-sets deficit (and saved one match point) in his semifinal victory over David Nalbandian before beating No. 1-to-be Juan Carlos Ferrero in straight sets in the championship. Roddick, who turns 22 on Monday (Aug. 30), finished the year as the youngest American (21 years, 2 mons.) to finish No. 1 in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973). He was the sixth American to finish No. 1. This summer Roddick compiled a 16-3 record on hard courts, repeating his title in Indianapolis (d. Kiefer), reaching the final at ATP Masters Series Toronto (l. to Federer), semifinals at ATP Masters Series Cincinnati (l. to Agassi) and the third round at the Athens Olympics (l. to Gonzalez).

THE FEDERER EXPRESS Federer enters his third Grand Slam tournament of the season as the top seed and as the world's No. 1 player. At Roland Garros, he lost in the third round to three-time champion Gustavo Kuerten in straight sets before repeating his title at Wimbledon (d. Roddick). In Federer's last 25 tournaments going back to June 2003, the Swiss star has compiled a 98-14 (.875) match record, winning 12 titles. In addition, he is undefeated (14-0) against Top 10 opponents going back to the season-ending 2003 Tennis Masters Cup in Houston where he went 5-0. Federer is attempting to become the first player since Mats Wilander in 1988 to win three Grand Slam titles in a season. He is the first player since Pete Sampras in 1997 to win two of the first three Grand Slam tournaments. Federer has won his last 10 finals going back to last year and he is the first player to win at least eight titles coming into the US Open since Thomas Muster won 10 in 1995. Federer won a career-high 23 consecutive matches on three different surfaces (grass, clay, hard) with titles in Halle, Wimbledon (on grass), Gstaad (on clay) and Toronto (on hard), becoming the first player to accomplish the feat since Bjorn Borg in 1979. Federer is also one of five players (Borg, Connors, Edberg, Kuerten) in the Open Era to win his first three Grand Slam finals. No player has won his first four finals. He is the first player since Agassi in 1999-2000 to win three of five Grand Slam titles. The last No. 1 to win the US Open was Sampras in 1996.

AGASSI BACK FOR 19TH TIME No. 6 seed Andre Agassi is appearing in his 19th consecutive US Open, the tournament he has played the most during his career. At 34, Agassi is the oldest player among the Top 8 seeds since 36-year-old Jimmy Connors was No. 6 in 1988. Agassi has a 67-16 match record, the sixth-most wins in US Championships history. He is seeded for the 15th time, third behind Connors (18) and Frank Parker (17). Agassi captured his 59th career title (most active players) at ATP Masters Series Cincinnati on Aug. 8, defeating former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in the final. He also beat former No. 1s Carlos Moya (QF) and Andy Roddick (SF) in Cincy.

With the title, at age 34 years, 3 mons., he became the oldest player to win an ATP title since 37-year-old Jimmy Connors in 1989. Agassi has won at least one ATP title for 17 of 18 years (except 1997). He is also the only player to rank in the Top 10 in three different decades and last year he finished in the Top 10 for the 14th time in his 18-year career.

* TITLE CONTENDERS

-- No. 1 seed Roger Federer Has an ATP-best 58-6 match record (30-4 on hard) along with a career-high eight titlesWent 7-2 this summer, winning title in Toronto Best US Open : 4 th RD (2001-2002-2003)

-- No. 2 Andy Roddick Has compiled a 60-12 match record (44-8 on hard), leading the ATP in overall match wins and hard court wins along with four ATP titlesWent 16-3 this summer, winning title in Indianapolis, runner-up in Toronto, SF in Cincy Best US Open : Title (2003).

-- No. 3 seed Carlos Moya Has a 54-14 match record (20-6 on hard) along with three ATP titles Best US Open : Semifinalist (1998)

-- No. 4 seed Lleyton Hewitt The hottest player on the ATP circuit this summer, winning 14 of his last 15 matches, reaching the final in Cincinnati, winning the title in Washington and advancing to the final in Long Island (Sunday)Has a 52-13 record (32-5 on hard) and a winner of three ATP titles Best US Open : Title (2001)

-- No. 6 seed Andre Agassi The 34-year-old Las Vegas native captured his first ATP title of the year on Aug. 8 in Cincinnati and has a 26-10 record on the year (26-7 on hard)Went 12-3 this summer, winning nine of his last 10 matches Best US Open : Title (1994, 1999)

* OTHERS TO WATCH

-- No. 8 seed David Nalbandian The 22-year-old Argentine who reached the semifinals here last year, has been sidelined on and off with injuries this seasonHas been out with a right ankle, abdominal muscle strain and left thigh injuries during the yearHas a 20-8 match record (5-3 on hard) Best US Open : Semifinalist (2003)

-- No. 10 seed Nicolas Massu The 24-year-old Chilean is coming off his singles and doubles (w/Gonzalez) gold medal performance in Athens where he played for 3:43 in doubles and 4:00 in singles within 24 hoursWas winless (0-7) on hard courts prior to AthensHas a 32-21 match record (6-7 on hard) and two titles Best US Open : 3 rd RD (2002-2003)

-- No. 13 seed Marat Safin The 24-year-old Russian opened the season by reaching his third career Grand Slam final at the Australian Open and has worked his way back from No. 77 at the end of last year into the Top 15Has a 28-17 record (12-8 on hard) Best US Open : Win (2000)

-- No. 14 seed Fernando Gonzalez The 24-year-old Chilean earned the bronze medal in singles (saving 2 M.P.) and gold medal in doublesPlayed a total of seven hours, eight minutes on Aug. 21 into the early hours of Aug. 22Has a 40-17 match record (15-9 on hard) Best US Open : Quarterfinalist (2002)

-- No. 19 seed Nicolas Kiefer The 27-year-old German on Aug. 2 returned to the Top 20 for the first time since December 2000Has reached four ATP finals this year, including two this summer in Los Angeles and Indianapolis while advancing to the semifinals in TorontoCompiled a 15-5 record this summer, losing to Roddick three times Best US Open : Quarterfinalist (2000)

-- No. 26 Mardy Fish The 22-year-old American is coming off a silver medal performance in Athens where he lost to Nicolas Massu in five setsHas never played in the second week of a Grand Slam (3 rd RD at Aust. Open, Wimbledon in '03)Has a 22-14 record on the year (17-11 on hard) Best US Open : 2 nd RD (2002-2003)

* POSSIBLE LONGSHOTS (outside Top 30)

-- Unseeded Tommy Haas The 26-year-old German is a leading candidate for ATP Comeback Player of the Year after dropping off the ATP Rankings last year due to right shoulder surgery in December 2002Has climbed to No. 45 this season with ATP titles in Houston and Los AngelesHas a 23-16 match record (12-7 on hard) Best US Open : 4 th RD (1999, 2001-2002)

-- Unseeded Ivo Karlovic The hard-serving Croat takes on No. 5 Tim Henman in the first roundThe 6'10 tower leads the ATP circuit with 20.5 aces per match and No. 2 in aces (678) behind Roddick (795)Has a 10-7 record from Wimbledon since a 6-14 startAt Wimbledon last year defeated top seed and defending champion Hewitt in the first round Best US Open : 3 rd RD (2003)

-- Unseeded Rafael Nadal 傍he 18-year-old Spaniard could play No. 2 and defending champion Andy Roddick in the second roundCaptured his first ATP title in Sopot (on clay) on Aug. 15

Posted the biggest win of his career over No. 1 Federer in Miami in MarchHas a 25-12 match record (12-8 on hard) Best US Open : 2 nd RD

-- Unseeded Thomas Johansson The 29-year-old Swede missed all of last season due to a left knee injury and dropped off the ATP Rankings but has jumped up to No. 61Reached the final in Nottingham in June and semifinals in TorontoHas a 19-16 match record (9-10 on hard) Best US Open : Quarterfinalist (1998, 2000)

Deboogle!.
08-30-2004, 03:05 AM
Roddick hoping for encore performance at U.S. Open

BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ

Knight Ridder Newspapers

NEW YORK - (KRT) - Andy Roddick enjoys the subtleties of being a celebrity in the Big Apple.

He likes the fact that he can hit the city streets at night and ``people watch'' instead of everyone watching him. He likes that fans who recognize him don't usually gawk or gush but simply offer a casual ``hey'' so they have a story to tell friends.

That's all well and good when he's walking the city blocks. But for the next two weeks, tennis' rock star would prefer to be worshipped. Because that's what happens when an American succeeds at the U.S. Open. And Roddick plans to experience the ultimate success here for the second consecutive year.

``It's not like anything else in tennis,'' said Roddick, who turns 22 on Monday and begins his U.S. Open title defense Tuesday night. ``I mean, especially being an American playing here, kind of having somewhat of a history with the crowds here. I'm excited. It's electric when you get out there. I can't wait to do it again.''

Last year, Roddick broke through with his first Grand Slam title at the Open, beating Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final.

It was a much-anticipated title - one that many had predicted for Roddick since he turned pro in 2000.

One year after fulfilling his apparent destiny, Roddick says he returns to the Open under less pressure, despite his past three tournaments have ended with losses to Roger Federer, Andre Agassi and Fernando Gonzalez.

`MORE RELAXED'

``I have that thing in the back of my mind that I've done it before,'' said Roddick, the No. 2 seed in the tournament. ``Last year, it was set up for catastrophe, with me playing so well coming in. I think I'm a little more relaxed this year. Deep down, I think I'm a little bit more confident.''

His confidence might also be slightly elevated by the fact that his primary nemesis, Federer, is the No. 1 overall seed and on the opposite side of the draw. Roddick is 1-7 lifetime against Federer, including a four-set loss to the Swiss player in the Wimbledon final.

After losing to Federer in the final of the Tennis Masters Series tournament in Toronto in July, Roddick said Federer was beginning to get ``annoying.'' And losing to the world's No. 1 player in the U.S. Open final would only add to the irritation.

Federer has never gotten past the fourth round in the U.S. Open, making a meeting in the final seem a relative long shot. And yet, the match up would just feel right.

THE BREAKDOWN

Roddick leads the tour in wins with 60, but Federer has a higher winning percentage (58-6, .906). Federer leads the tour with eight titles, with Roddick in second with four. Roddick is the defending U.S. Open champ, but Federer has won three of the past five slams and could become the first since Mats Wilander in 1988 to win three in one year.

Federer certainly wouldn't mind facing Roddick, even in the American's backyard.

``I can return his serve quite comfortably - not easily, but comfortably - and get it back and make him hit not such an easy second shot,'' Federer said. ``I guess it's just luck because I never worked on returning a 150 mph serve. Not many guys you can work on that with.''

The U.S. Open, though, has a way of bringing out the best in Roddick.

He is 15-2 in the past three U.S. Opens, losing only to eventual champions Pete Sampras in 2002 and Lleyton Hewitt in 2001.

Roddick isn't ready to claim sole ownership of the USTA National Tennis Center. But it certainly feels like home - if his home included 23,000 raucous fans cheering him on.

``It's just a place that I'm comfortable,'' Roddick said. ``I don't know about it being `my house,' but maybe it's a hotel room I've stayed in before.''

snaillyyy
08-30-2004, 04:52 AM
I can look at the TV just fine... my problem is when I have to follow a scoreboard. If I can watch how someone is playing and get a sense of how I feel they'll do at a tense point in the match, I'm a LOT better than if I am just watching the scoreboard and it's a tiebreak. Just ask everyone else what I'm like in our MSN chats... I'm sure they won't have very nice things to say ;):D

Scoreboards all by themselves can be pure torture sessions!, where would we be Deb if we couldn't yell and scream on MSN ;)

Mani!!!! *jealous* ;) but so happy for you too!! what a great day :drool: :drool:

Deboogle!.
08-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Roddick's on defensive at Open

BY CHRISTIAN RED
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The exchange of the torch hasn't been as clean as everyone anticipated.
Moments after he leaped into the stands of Arthur Ashe Stadium last September to hug family members and then-girlfriend Mandy Moore, Andy Roddick was officially anointed the leader of the next generation of American tennis.

Roddick had dismantled Juan Carlos Ferrero in straight sets for his first Grand Slam title and the win came two weeks after tennis icon and five-time U.S. Open champ Pete Sampras announced his retirement from the sport.

Only problem is, Roddick is Slam-less so far in 2004.

As U.S. Open play begins today - which happens to be Roddick's 22nd birthday - the defending champ will try to salvage what he himself has called a "good" season, but what critics only would say has been average: four ATP wins in 14 tournaments, to go along with runner-up honors at Wimbledon. Most recently, Roddick got knocked out of the Olympic singles' competition in the Round of 16.

"I would have hoped for more at the Olympics," Roddick said Saturday as players completed their final tuneups at the National Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows. "But I feel fresh and ready for the Open and that's the most important thing."

Roddick is seeded second while Wimbledon champ Roger Federer is the top seed. Andre Agassi is the only other American in the top 10 seedings (No. 6). But while the big tournament wins have so far eluded him this year, Roddick said he does not feel any greater pressure to prove himself now that one Slam is under his belt.

"I think I'm a little more relaxed this year. Deep down, I think I'm a little more confident," he said. "Last year was set up for catastrophe, with me playing so well coming in. If something would have happened, then it would have been chaos."

Roddick then bristled when asked by a reporter if he felt like he had not maintained the consistency of a champion - twice this year he has lost to Federer in a tournament final, including July's four-set loss at the All England Club.

"Personally, I think you're nitpicking," he said. "We (he and coach Brad Gilbert) had a pretty good Wimbledon final. I thought I played well against Roger. And I'm just trying to treat this as another U.S. Open. Last year's over. I'm in the same position as 127 other players and that's kind of how I'm looking at it.

"I think if you win a Slam, that's a great year. That being said, if I don't win, I think it's been a good year and I've played pretty well. But obviously it would be a disappointment if I didn't walk away with the win."

Roddick's first match is against Scoville Jenkins, whom Roddick scouted at the Wimbledon junior tournament and who he said "hits big. So that's something we have to look into."

superpinkone37
08-30-2004, 04:03 PM
thanks for the article deb :)

tangerine_dream
08-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Only problem is, Roddick is Slam-less so far in 2004.

Erm, wasn't he also slam-less going into the 2003 USO? Duh.

the defending champ will try to salvage what he himself has called a "good" season, but what critics only would say has been average: four ATP wins in 14 tournaments, to go along with runner-up honors at Wimbledon.

That's what happens when you have one awesome year. The rest of your career will be measured against it and you will forever be competing against the notion that you're "losing your touch" because you're results aren't the same as before. I guarantee the same thing will happen to Roger Federer next year when 2005 doesn't live up to the excellent run he's had this year.

"Personally, I think you're nitpicking," he said. "We (he and coach Brad Gilbert) had a pretty good Wimbledon final. I thought I played well against Roger. And I'm just trying to treat this as another U.S. Open. Last year's over. I'm in the same position as 127 other players and that's kind of how I'm looking at it.

Perfect response. I am so glad that Andy has taken away only the positives from Wimbledon. Playing like that, he can beat Roger, and everybody else.

smucav
08-30-2004, 05:59 PM
but what critics only would say has been average
Who are these anonymous "critics"? Anyone who follows the sport day in and day out should be able to recogonize that the Fed & Andy have established a wide margin between the two of them & the rest of the players. Sure they're not unbeatable, but neither was Hewitt when he was #1 for a year & a half straight. I think a lot of these so-called "critics" see one match (say the Wimbledon final) & base most of their opinions on that one result without looking at the overall picture. Andy loses that match, therefore he must be having a bad year. Ridiculous.

heya
08-31-2004, 03:18 AM
hmm, if Andy runs away from all criticism, including his fans', how will he learn anything useful? Previous champions always listened & watched themselves on tape.

1- He can have comfortable game plans & scheduling & know he'll be a Hall of Famer with 10+ possible slams.
No stupid serves, double faults & bad footwork (lunge & miss easy returns).
You think Gilbert worries about mastering necessary net play,
flat shots & huge bhs?
Maybe he wants Careless Andy leaving the court wide open (1 dimensional).
or
2 -YES-Men tell him he's great because they don't see anything special.
When he does something smart & pretty, everyone'll be shocked.
Funny how Andy gets used to hearing the stereotypes.

He said he didn't want to be the worst #1 player.
So, he better not think it's ok to always lose in finals, have "a couple of weapons," poor movement (with constant weight fluctuations) & laziness.

imo, After 24 years old, he won't have a 2nd chance.
He said he'll retire before his 30's.
It must be pointless 'cuz Andy probably doesn't care.

Deboogle!.
08-31-2004, 06:03 AM
Jenkins Sees Opportunity In Tuesday Night Match With Roddick

By Richard Pagliaro
08/30/2004

Some coaches might view the prospect of a teenager tossed into an opening-round match against defending U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick on Arthur Ashe Stadium as an assignment only slightly less demanding than trying to tackle the nearby No. 7 train.

But when 18-year-old Scoville Jenkins steps on the court to make his U.S. Open main draw debut against Roddick Tuesday night, his coach, Torrey Hawkins, sees an opportunity to gain the experience of a lifetime.

"Sco couldn't ask for a better opportunity than playing the defending U.S. Open champion, Andy Roddick, on Arthur Ashe Stadium at the U.S. Open," said Hawkins. "The experience of playing Andy Roddick in the first round of the U.S. Open is most certainly an honor and I think Scoville wants to represent, so to speak."

Sitting on a bench next to the practice courts, an hour before Andre Agassi's opening-round match against Robby Ginepri, Hawkins pauses to greet Ginepri's father, Rene, and wish him good luck as he walks toward Arthur Ashe Stadium. In 24 hours, Jenkins will step on Arthur Ashe stadium court for the first time for his 6:30 p.m. pre-match hit before facing the blasts emanating from Roddick's racquet face.

"Sco's hitting the ball big and he's hitting the ball clean," said Hawkins who works with Jenkins and several talented Atlanta-area juniors at the On The Rise Tennis Academy. "But we know how big Roddick hits it and that's a whole different level. So he will learn from this match."

In the five and a half years, he's worked with Hawkins, Jenkins has proven to be a fast learner.

Earlier this month, the East Point, Georgia native became the first African American to win the USTA Boys' 18s in the event's 89-year history, overwhelming local favorite and Kalamazoo-native Scott Oudsema in the best-of-five-set final, 7-5, 6-1, 6-3 in front of an overflow crowd of more than 3,000 fans at Kalamazoo, Michigan College's Stowe Stadium. Jenkins' victory at Kalamazoo came nearly a month after he reached the Wimbledon junior semifinals while playing with a strained hip flexor.

"Scoville Jenkins remember that name," NBC tennis analyst John McEnroe said during Wimbledon. Following his own advice, McEnroe hit with Jenkins at the Open.

"It's unfortunate people who saw Scoville for the first time at Wimbledon didn't see him at his best because he was hurt," Hawkins said. "To be honest with you, I can't say I knew Scoville had this potential when we first started working with him. I don't think you can truly know that about a kid that age. As a coach, Scoville has taught me you can never put a number on hard work, commitment and dedication because he has all that and it has helped him reach this point."

Jenkins' ability to adapt to an opponent's play as well as the inevitable ebb and flow of a match is one of his biggest assets.

"He probably adjusts faster than any kid I've seen," Hawkins said. "Sco has a huge forehand, big serve, good backhand and he loves to return, take the ball early and go to the net."

Jenkins will face the reigning U.S. Open champion tomorrow night armed with a game modeled on a pair of former Flushing Meadows champions Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras and eager to gain the experience of playing one of the world's best hard-court players in a major match.

"When we were building Sco's game the model was Andre Agassi's strokes with a big serve and the ability to go forward and finish points at the net like Pete Sampras," Hawkins said. "This is a win-win situation for Scoville. To play the number two player in the world, the defending U.S. Open champ, on his home court is just a tremendous experience. You can't get that anywhere but the U.S. Open. If he gets spanked, he learns. If he takes a set, he learns. No matter what happens, he will come out of this match with a valuable experience he can learn from and that will only help him in the future."

Even if Jenkins' falls to Roddick, he could still capture the U.S. Open championship. Jenkins, who was the first professional to win the USTA Boys' 18s title, taking advantage of a new rule that took effect on January 1st that allows professionals to compete in USTA National Junior Championships, is age-eligible to compete in the U.S. Open junior tournament and will be one of the favorites in the junior field.

"That would really be a dream come true for Sco: to play Andy Roddick in the first round of the Open and then play for the U.S. Open junior title in the final," Hawkins said. "That would be a great ending to his junior career."

superpinkone37
08-31-2004, 06:11 AM
thanks for the article, im looking forward to the match, though i will have to record it (stupid tennis practice :p) but andy better kick little sco's butt :)

Deboogle!.
08-31-2004, 06:13 AM
yes he better :)

elusive
08-31-2004, 06:13 AM
awwwwww scoville sounds like a really sweet kid.
glad that everything is going so well for him. its gonna be a great opening match! :bounce:

elusive
08-31-2004, 07:41 AM
okie heres the schedulee:

Arthur Ashe 7.00 PM

1. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Laura Granville (USA) vs. [7]Maria Sharapova (RUS)

2. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Scoville Jenkins (USA) vs. [2]Andy Roddick (USA)

go andyyyy:)

zoltan83
08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Cool... Andy will play on night session. Hopefully for me, because otherwise, I couldn't see his match because I'm not at home this evening. But I'll be back for the night session normally. :D But I dunno if, here, they choose to show his match or not... I hope. If not, I follow his score on the livescore.

Deboogle!.
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Nicolas, if you're here during Andy's match and it's not on your tv then come onto MSN and we'll tell you what happens :)

Here's another article about Scoville
===
Teen to face Roddick

By JANET PASKIN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: August 31, 2004)

NEW YORK To understand the enormity of the situation, it is important to understand that Scoville P. Jenkins, 17, still has to ask his dad to borrow the car. He shares dishwashing responsibilities with his little sister, Taylor. He took the biggest stage of his life two weeks ago, when 4,000 people watched him win the USTA Boys' 18 National Hard Court Championships.

Every year, the boy and the girl who win Hard Courts earn wild-card slots to the U.S. Open, and Jenkins would have been right to expect exactly what most of the other wild cards get: a largely forgettable match on an outer court against someone they may or may not have heard of.

But Jenkins got lucky. The gods of the draw smiled. Tonight, two weeks after he became the first African-American to win the junior title, he will walk into Arthur Ashe Stadium and face Andy Roddick, the defending champion and second-best player in the world.

The draw ceremony had barely ended before word reached Jenkins on a tennis court in Atlanta, where he lives. Coincidentally, the news traveled from Roddick, in New York but also practicing, via a coach who knew Torrey Hawkins, who has coached Jenkins for more than five years.

"I was just like, 'Wow,' " Jenkins said. "At first I was like a little nervous, because I knew it was going to be here at night. And then, as days kept going on, I'm like, this is great. I couldn't be more excited now."

Jenkins arrived in New York on Thursday with his family and with Hawkins. He has been hitting every day, including a session at Arthur Ashe, and acclimating himself to the circus-like atmosphere of the National Tennis Center. Except for a brief walk around Times Square, this has been strictly a business trip.

"Even when we go around the world, we're not there to see the sights. We're there to play tennis," said Jenkins' dad, Scoville D. Jenkins, who quit his job as a TV producer and director to accompany his son on the tennis circuit. His wife, Carol, works as a hairdresser and holds down the fort in Atlanta.

In the world of junior tennis, Jenkins has already had a super year. Before Hard Courts, he had reached the semifinals at the Wimbledon junior championships and won the Astrid Bowl, the Belgian International Junior Championships. None of which will matter much when he steps into Arthur Ashe tonight.

Jenkins is not above nerves, though he doesn't show them much. So far, he is talking the talk of the underdog.

"He has nothing to gain, but he has everything to lose if he loses to me," he said. "I have no pressure on me. I'm not going to try and do a good showing, I'm going to try and win."

The truth is, Jenkins will be lucky to win a game, extraordinarily fortunate to take a set. Eight years have passed since the last time a junior boys champion advanced past the first round of the main draw, and Roddick, who never won the junior hardcourt title, won't pull his punches.

"To be honest and as heartless as it's going to sound, because I do a lot with trying to help the young players whenever they need it but I've got to focus on my match and try to beat him," Roddick said. "Afterwards, if he wants to talk about it, we can talk about it."

For the last week, Hawkins has been firing serves from inside the baseline.

"I'll serve at him from the net before the week is out," the coach said, laughing. He figures if he moves in a little bit, he can simulate Roddick's 145-mph serve, at least get Jenkins ready for that kind of heat.

Nothing, however, will prepare Jenkins for the lights, the crowds, the cameras. Prime time cannot be approximated on a practice court. Tonight he will go through his regular routine, finding a half-hour for some time alone before the match begins. He got some advice, he said, from fellow Georgia residents Robby Ginepri and Brian Vahaly.

"They didn't say much: 'The road is pretty tough, but you're pretty good; you can handle it. Just play like it's your last day playing,' " Jenkins said, adding, "I'm not going to do anything special. When you relax, good things happen."