2009 Australian season thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2009 Australian season thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

turtle-rn
01-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Allez hop hop hop, Ikimasho !!!

Sydney (http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atpworldtour.com/1/posting/2009/338/mds.pdf) main draw is out.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9589/sydneyba6.jpg

Novak DJOKOVIC [SRB/1/WC] - Bye
Andreas SEPPI (ITA) vs Paul-Henri MATHIEU (FRA)
Mario ANCIC (CRO) vs Qualifié
Jurgen MELZER (AUT) vs Tommy ROBREDO [ESP/7]

Jo-Wilfried TSONGA [FRA/3] - Bye
Simone BOLELLI (ITA) vs Rainer SCHUETTLER (GER)
Jarkko NIEMINEN (FIN) vs Feliciano LOPEZ (ESP)
Chris GUCCIONE (AUS/WC) vs Tomas BERDYCH [CZE/6]

Mardy FISH [USA/8] vs Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB)
Julien BENNETTEAU (FRA) vs Lleyton HEWITT (AUS/WC)
Qualifié vs Michael LLODRA (FRA)
David NALBANDIAN [ARG/4] - Bye

Igor ANDREEV [RUS/5] vs Qualifié
Qualifié vs Radek STEPANEK (CZE)
Dmitry TURSUNOV (RUS) vs Richard GASQUET (FRA)
Gilles SIMON [FRA/2] - Bye

:music: If not for Djokovic's last minute WC, Gilles would be first seed!

rtgy
01-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Allez hop hop hop, Ikimasho !!!

Sydney (http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atpworldtour.com/1/posting/2009/338/mds.pdf) main draw is out.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9589/sydneyba6.jpg

Novak DJOKOVIC [SRB/1/WC] - Bye
Andreas SEPPI (ITA) vs Paul-Henri MATHIEU (FRA)
Mario ANCIC (CRO) vs Qualifié
Jurgen MELZER (AUT) vs Tommy ROBREDO [ESP/7]

Jo-Wilfried TSONGA [FRA/3] - Bye
Simone BOLELLI (ITA) vs Rainer SCHUETTLER (GER)
Jarkko NIEMINEN (FIN) vs Feliciano LOPEZ (ESP)
Chris GUCCIONE (AUS/WC) vs Tomas BERDYCH [CZE/6]

Mardy FISH [USA/8] vs Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB)
Julien BENNETTEAU (FRA) vs Lleyton HEWITT (AUS/WC)
Qualifié vs Michael LLODRA (FRA)
David NALBANDIAN [ARG/4] - Bye

Igor ANDREEV [RUS/5] vs Qualifié
Qualifié vs Radek STEPANEK (CZE)
Dmitry TURSUNOV (RUS) vs Richard GASQUET (FRA)
Gilles SIMON [FRA/2] - Bye

:music: If not for Djokovic's last minute WC, Gilles would be first seed!

OMG you're so guick........the last time I checked there're no new aussie thread.................so I posted mine :lol:
but good job Nat :yeah:

:worship:

Brownie
01-10-2009, 05:54 AM
:lol: You and Nat made the same thread:) Congrats on the first thread;)

Yeah, after a long nerve-wracking Richard day, the fact that him and Gilles have to play each other 2nd round (if Richard gets by Tursunov:p) is not making me a happy camper:sad:

turtle-rn
01-10-2009, 05:54 AM
haha I just saw it. Sorry Yavor! :hug: I didn't see you were online, otherwise I would have let you post first .

rho la la, Fran is gonna be mad! :lol: :p

Brownie
01-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Allez hop hop hop:lol: cute!

:music: If not for Djokovic's last minute WC, Gilles would be first seed!:worship::worship:

rtgy
01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
haha I just saw it. Sorry Yavor! :hug: I didn't see you were online, otherwise I would have let you post first .

:hug:

you don't have to sorry at all, your thread is so cool..........I love it!!! :rocker:
we should use it for Sydney /as series/ and my thread for grand aussie afterwards............;)

rho la la, Fran is gonna be mad! :lol: :p

mad......................why everyone are so scared of Fran here...............she's such a sweetie :p

HoistDaColors
01-10-2009, 07:02 AM
wow if richie gets pass tursunov, it will be an interesting match. former french #1 vs. current french #1. :eek:

rtgy
01-10-2009, 07:08 AM
:lol: You and Nat made the same thread:) Congrats on the first thread;)

at the beginning of last year Gillou was in top 30 and this place was his blog on MTF, now at the beginning of this year he's 6-th in the world/at least for this week :lol:/ and he's sanctuary is now a Gillou's own forum where we post new threads one after another................or like in this case - all together ;) I'm so excited :bounce:

Yeah, after a long nerve-wracking Richard day, the fact that him and Gilles have to play each other 2nd round (if Richard gets by Tursunov:p) is not making me a happy camper:sad:

me too.............. :hug:
/but I'm Tursunov fan too/

rtgy
01-10-2009, 07:17 AM
wow if richie gets pass tursunov, it will be an interesting match. former french #1 vs. current french #1. :eek:

:rocker2:

/unfortunately he'll probably not be a 'curent french #1' next week, because he doesn't obtain any points from HC/

HoistDaColors
01-10-2009, 07:32 AM
yeah i know but still FRENCH #1 BABY And Gilles ranks higher than Richard ever was :eek: (or maybe ever will be if Richard doesn't get his act together.)

I don't like it how these frenchies all go to the same event. Why couldn't some of them go to Auckland or something just so I don't have to agonize over who to support.

rtgy
01-10-2009, 07:54 AM
yeah i know but still FRENCH #1 BABY And Gilles ranks higher than Richard ever was :eek: (or maybe ever will be if Richard doesn't get his act together.)

I don't like it how these frenchies all go to the same event. Why couldn't some of them go to Auckland or something just so I don't have to agonize over who to support.

ha ha....... backed Gillou and you'll not have to agonize at all...................... as you said - FRENCH #1 BABY :rocker:

tedlesurfeur
01-10-2009, 08:07 AM
--> this is intolerable *O*

:lol:

I mean it :p

Truc
01-10-2009, 08:29 AM
These threads are going to be merged in no time as soon as a mod is around! :furious:
What does "Ikimasho" mean, Natsume?

Richard would be a terrible draw for Gilles to start his new season imo (unless he finally, finally manages to win, of course). Even as an underdog when he had nothing to lose he seemed to put himself so much under pressure against Ritchie, their match in Wimbledon was just painful, I've rarely seen Gilles so tense.

turtle-rn
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
why everyone are so scared of Fran here...
Are you serious ? :lol:

I mean it :p
I know. :scared:

:p

turtle-rn
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
These threads are going to be merged in no time as soon as a mod is around! :furious:
Since you are talking about it, why don't we have our own mod in this sub-forum? I guess there's now enough activity around to warrant one.

What does "Ikimasho" mean, Natsume?
Ikimasho : "Let's go" in japanese (Anime freak stuff)

Richard would be a terrible draw to start Gilles' new season imo (unless he finally, finally manages to win, of course :p). Even as an underdog when he had nothing to lose he seemed to put himself so much under pressure against Ritchie, their match in Wimbledon was just painful, I've rarely seen Gilles so tense.
Gilles is now definitely another player overall. Having watched Richard's match against the unsufferable worm this morning, I'm kinda a bit less worried. :]

MsTree
01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Ooooh a feast of new threads!!!
Why don't we keep both, use Nat's for Sydney and Yavor's for the Aussie Open? :)

Tursinov v Gasquet looks like it might be the tie of the first round, lets hope they're last up and go for a long three setter :)

MsTree
01-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm going to put some hard earned cash on Andy Murray winning the AO so I hope he's not in Gillou's part of the draw! If Gillou's on his game everyone else is beatable imo. Can't wait! :)

rtgy
01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm going to put some hard earned cash on Andy Murray winning the AO so I hope he's not in Gillou's part of the draw! If Gillou's on his game everyone else is beatable imo. Can't wait! :)

well I watch him/Muzza/ against Fed last night and he was impressive................... no doubt that he's one of my favorites if not the main one ;) but he have some problems with his back :rolleyes: It's iteresting for me to see what he should do against Rod imo.

can't wait too................... Gillou should crash them all!!! :rocker2:

MsTree
01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm trying not to think about his back. He might not play the final today because of it :sad:

rtgy
01-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm trying not to think about his back. He might not play the final today because of it :sad:

yes I know :scared:

soulage
01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
A bye :confused: Again a new rule ?

rtgy
01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
A bye :confused: Again a new rule?

:confused:

no he's just 2nd seed and therefore qualify directly to the second round ;)

soulage
01-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I mean last year in Sydney there was no bye ? So why this year ?

rtgy
01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I mean last year in Sydney there was no bye ? So why this year ?

ahhhhhhh............sorry :lol:

ha ha..... well I've no clue :shrug:

turtle-rn
01-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Or use one thread for comments and the other for flooding and uncalled-for quotes? :lol: :devil:

haha yes! *fingers crossed* Which one would you prefer against Gilles in the 2nd R ?

Come to think of it, we'll have Dima "Ted's avi" vs Richie "Lauren's sig"! Whoever wins, we are bound to have one forum member upset after the first round. (and hopefully both after the second round! :p )

Brownie
01-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Come to think of it, we'll have Dima "Ted's avi" vs Richie "Lauren's sig"! Whoever wins, we are bound to have one forum member upset after the first round. (and hopefully both after the second round! :p )

Ted's avi versus my sig? :lol:

1st round versus Dima:ras:
gahhhh, 2nd round is too early for a potential Richie vs. Gillou:sobbing:

Gilles' h2h is better against Dmitry (1-0) than Richard (0-3). And Richard is 5-0 (I think) in his last 5 meetings with fellow countrymen. So I would guess Gilles would rather take on Dima than Richard, but it's a whole new year, and Gilles seems to have changed a lot since Wimbledon, so who knows:shrug:

rtgy
01-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Come to think of it, we'll have Dima "Ted's avi" vs Richie "Lauren's sig"! Whoever wins, we are bound to have one forum member upset after the first round.

ha ha...Ted vs. Lauren.............. what a "duel" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ihvBjxpRE) :smash:

:haha:

(and hopefully both after the second round! :p )

amen for that!

turtle-rn
01-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Gilles' h2h is better against Dmitry (1-0) than Richard (0-5).
Gillous is 0-5 against Richie ??! from memory, I can only think of USO and Wimbledon, which is already bad enough! :unsure:

I guess your thread should be used for the latter :p

(and, I know, I know...I'll be here to keep you company...)
I'll be flooding graphics! :D You'll be welcomed if you're ready to flood like mad (but with style). ^_^

Brownie
01-11-2009, 03:58 AM
No, you're right...it's not 5. I just can't read:o 3-0 (Wimbly, US Open, Nottingham)

turtle-rn
01-11-2009, 05:56 AM
That's indeed bad enough. :unsure:

Draw Update :

Big up to Jeremy, he made it to the MD! :D
J.Chardy def I.Minar 6-3 3-6 7-6(2)

The other qualifers are Dancevic, Malisse & Gremelmayr.

Peta Pan
01-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi guys :)

I hope you don't mind me popping in here. I've been liking Gilles more and more during the 2nd half of last season and after watching more matches during the Hopman Cup I'm liking him even more. I'm really looking forward to going to watch him play some matches at the AO :)

MsTree
01-11-2009, 07:13 AM
:wavey: Peta and welcome to the calm oasis that is the Gillou forum :)

haha yes! *fingers crossed* Which one would you prefer against Gilles in the 2nd R ?

Sorry Gasquetaires, but I would like Gillou to rip Richie a new one :devil: :p Sorry Ted :devil: And Lauren :devil::devil::devil:

Grenouille
01-11-2009, 07:25 AM
It's a tough draw but I don't think it's possible to get an easy draw in such a tournament ! Gilles has never beaten Richard before but there is always a first time to everything even though I would prefer him to play Tursunov since we have better memories...

turtle-rn
01-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Hey Peta! so glad to see you in here! :D

It's perhaps a bit twisted way to see things but I actually prefer him take on Richard, for if Gilles wins, it will be a more significant victory and a bigger boost for his confidence and if par malheur he is to lose, it would be a lesser upset (and all in all, I prefer having Richard go deep than Tursunov).

Truc
01-11-2009, 08:01 AM
It's a tough draw but I don't think it's possible to get an easy draw in such a tournament !And I don't think it was possible to have a worse first opponent than Ritchie, given their h2h. Look at the rest of the draw.

I'm not saying Gilles can't beat Richard Gasquet, I badly wanted them to meet in Bucharest because I was sure Gilles was finally going to win then - but here, it's a different story. Gilles looked quite shaky on serve lately, I don't think he needs the extra pressure for his first real match.

Grenouille
01-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't htink he'll put pressure on his back if he plays Gasquet! He's not the type of guy who does that !

anaquot
01-11-2009, 02:52 PM
:wavey: Peta and welcome to the calm oasis that is the Gillou forum :)

Sorry Gasquetaires, but I would like Gillou to rip Richie a new one :devil: :p Sorry Ted :devil: And Lauren :devil::devil::devil:

:haha: Les, you're so funny :haha: you're going to scare Peta away from the calm oasis!

MsTree
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Sorry Autumn but once the idea was there, the words were written in stone. There really is no better way to express my hopes for the coming week :lol:

felipe2004
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Good luck to Gilles in Sydney! :D

turtle-rn
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Tursinov v Gasquet looks like it might be the tie of the first round, lets hope they're last up and go for a long three setter :)
So far, the premise looks good. They'll play on Tuesday and all 2nd round matches are sheduled on Wednesday day session. :devil:

MsTree
01-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm a witch in my spare time :devil:

soulage
01-11-2009, 10:16 PM
The official FFT website for AO is available http://www.fft.fr/open-australie/2009/?ID= It's the same design than for Master France. I found it quite nice :) On the forum the question before the beginning is "Who will be the best frenchie ? " If you want to argue ;)

ps : this thread is for AO ?

Nollie
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Allez!

Oh, it's not Christmas anymore :sad:

turtle-rn
01-12-2009, 05:24 AM
You know the trick to get goodreps! :( I have been too lazy/forgot spreading again so.. :sad: / :p

I'm a witch in my spare time :devil:
Holy shit! Les, you should definitely take the week off and use all your might to help Gilles :

Tursunov vs Gasquet IS the fifth and last match scheduled on center court tomorrow!! :eek: :devil:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/338/op.pdf

MsTree
01-12-2009, 06:21 AM
:lol: never in doubt :lol:

I've got the last 3 days of the AO off if thats any help :)

Peta Pan
01-12-2009, 06:51 AM
:haha: Les, you're so funny :haha: you're going to scare Peta away from the calm oasis!
:lol: It will take more than that to scare me away :p
:lol: never in doubt :lol:

I've got the last 3 days of the AO off if thats any help :)
Let's hope that Gilles is still around that far into the AO :D

rtgy
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
:speakles:

:mad:

:topic:

my thread is moved here................that's ridiculus
I will not post here from now on........................................

Truc
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
There's nothing ridiculous in merging threads on the same topic, it happens all the time, you said yourself you started a new thread because you hadn't seen Natsume's thread? Look at soulage who didn't know where to post his/her stuff with two identical threads.

I don't get the problem, TBH, but if it's for v-cash purposes, just start other threads (I can change the pictures thread in a "2008 pictures thread", for example, and you start a thread for the "2009 pictures" or whatever).

turtle-rn
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Ditto.

Yavor, You already know it but I'll say it again : you agreed to the MTF policies (including the fact that same topic threads are bound to get merged) upon registration. This is a basic rule everyone has to comply with. Nothing more nothing less. If you can't no more agree with that, there's nothing else I can say.

Since you said you won't be posting anymore, I guess we have no choice but to deal with it. -_-

MsTree
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Yavor don't be silly, you can't stop posting just because your thread was merged!
If you're not back posting soon I will use my proven witchy powers on you! Look what's happened to Dimitry and Richie! :devil:

Can anyone hazard a guess at what time their match might start? Are they playing in the night session Nat?

turtle-rn
01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
The later the better! ^_^

there's no night session scheduled today :sad: so their match should start before 7.30PM local time.
It might be a good idea to lurk from time to time into Richie's forum to be more specific; I probably won't be on here late tonight though, I have to be up early tomorrow (for a change! >_<)

Brownie
01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
If I had to hazard a guess, it would be 2:30am my time...7:30am UK, but I could be off by an hour or so. At any rate, I will be up in the wee hours of the night:p

Brownie
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
my thread is moved here................that's ridiculus
I will not post here from now on........................................
Oh Yavor, come back...there's already a serious lack of hugs and colorful text:sobbing:

MsTree
01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Sorry Peta I missed your post in the kerfuffle :)
:lol: It will take more than that to scare me away :p
I do get worse :p (where is Scotty btw? Missing him :sad:)
Let's hope that Gilles is still around that far into the AO :D
When I booked the days off it was to be witchy for Andy :devil: But he apparently doesn't need me anymore :D:D:D
So I can devote myself to Gillou :angel:

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be 2:30am my time...7:30am UK, but I could be off by an hour or so. At any rate, I will be up in the wee hours of the night:p

I think it might even end up being 6.30am in the UK. Although in Scotland it's just Stupid O'Clock :lol:

I'll get up, will probably have to leave for work before the end of the match if I have my wicked way but it will be good practise for Wednesday :)

but-it's-ok
01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Yavor,I miss you,what am I/we going to do without some colour in our lives?:awww::hug:

Yavor:hug::hug: Come back:awww:

anaquot
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
YAVOR!!!!!!!

Can we all agree Yavor totally has dibs on the French Open thread?

Yavor, seriously, I was looking forward to the new avi once Gilles makes a funny face during his match :awww:

Brownie
01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Can we all agree Yavor totally has dibs on the French Open thread?

:yeah: Agreed

MsTree
01-13-2009, 05:53 AM
:lol: agreed!

Well Lauren, I got up but there's no working livestream and the match is about to start...
So I will support them both from afar. Hope there's some REALLY long rallies :lol: And at least a couple of tiebreak sets :devil:

Brownie
01-13-2009, 06:12 AM
:lol: agreed!

Well Lauren, I got up but there's no working livestream and the match is about to start...
Sydney livestream has been weird so far:p
Hope there's some REALLY long rallies :lol: And at least a couple of tiebreak sets :devil:
I'm sure you do;):p

MsTree
01-13-2009, 06:15 AM
I think the ATDHE stream might not start till tomorrow (I hope anyway!) Bet365 was meant to have it but there's nothing on their site. And Justin TV has - finally - let me down :sad: Anyways, hope your boy wins!
7-6 6-7 7-6 (64-62):devil:

edit - tiebreak in the first set :devil:

I have to go to work now, hope Gillou's match is earlier tomorrow!

*MJP*
01-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Well its Gilles vs Richard tomorrow afternoon on court 1. Should be a good match :)

Puschkin
01-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Well its Gilles vs Richard tomorrow afternoon on court 1. Should be a good match :)

:):) get some tissues ready. :p and if I have opened my mouth too much, send them back to me. ;)

Olympus
01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm watching Gillou live tomorrow, so he better not disappoint me. :p

Keijan
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't believe they're putting the second seed and the winner of Sydney's doubles tournament last year on court 1 :mad: I understand they want Hewitt to get full support on center court but still...
Please tell me there are cameras on that court :sobbing: I don't want to miss the first Gillou/Richard of the year.

I hope you have an awesome time, Olympus :hug: try to cheer in French ^^

Olympus
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
It's a good thing that he's not on CC, cos that means i dont have to fork out loads of money to see him play there. :p I only have to spend 10 bucks on a ground pass. :D

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
(where is Scotty btw? Missing him :sad:)
With that I agree. I'm missing him too.

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Anyways, hope your boy wins!
7-6 6-7 7-6 (64-62):devil:

edit - tiebreak in the first set :devil:

I have to go to work now, hope Gillou's match is earlier tomorrow!
64-62! :lol: who knows what might have happened, had you not go to work. haha.

Please tell me there are cameras on that court :sobbing: I don't want to miss the first Gillou/Richard of the year.
It's hard enough to find streamings when they are playing on center court. Even if there were cameras on C1, chances are it will make no difference for us here.. :sad:

anaquot
01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
:sad: I think I will just sleep through it then, and wait for good news in the morning :)
Lauren a big :hug: for you for the stressful match between two favs :wavey:

Brownie
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
:sad: I think I will just sleep through it then, and wait for good news in the morning :)
Lauren a big :hug: for you for the stressful match between two favs :wavey:

Thank you:hug: I think I'll try to sleep through it too since livescoring is not fun at all:ras: BOO! I really wanted to watch this one:mad:

MsTree
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I was doing OK with my prediction before I had to leave for work!!!! :lol:
I will dutifully watch the livescore update in the morning if there's no stream. The things I do for you lot :devil:

Brownie
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Les, when I wake up, I expect to see a play-by-play of the livescore with serve percentages, return points won, aces, DFs etc, etc.;)

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I was doing OK with my prediction before I had to leave for work!!!! :lol:
It might have been for the best that you left. Getting Gasquet play a 64-62 tie break would have burned all the magic power of Scotland and beyond! :lol:

btw, I almost forgot : congrats Lauren for your win! Ted, if you get around :hug:

I didn't checked in Richard's forum but did someone actually find a streaming for his match yesterday or was it SB for all?

MsTree
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
No streams for the match :( I still can't find any for Court 1 tomorrow either :(

Brownie
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
btw, I almost forgot : congrats Lauren for your win! Thank you:D Great for Richard to beat someone who has given him trouble in most matches!

I didn't checked in Richard's forum but did someone actually find a streaming for his match yesterday or was it SB for all?
No, all SB:sad: I followed the first set, and then went back to sleep because SB is painful.

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Center court and not even one single streaming! let alone court 1..
Might as well go to sleep tonight. I agree, SB is painful and frustrating.

Brownie
01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
It happened the last 2 nights actually (I tried to watch Ancic the night before)...at least the last 2 ATP matches of the day (and none of the WTA matches) had livestream. I don't know if that will change later in the week.

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
No streams for the match :( I still can't find any for Court 1 tomorrow either :(
Are you searching through myP2P links? mines (Sopcast & TVAnts) are useless for the moment. Hopefully it's because it's still too early.. :unsure:

Brownie
01-13-2009, 07:05 PM
It frustrates me to no end when there are streams available through the betting sites, and I can't watch them because I'm in the US:o

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
It happened the last 2 nights actually (I tried to watch Ancic the night before)...at least the last 2 ATP matches of the day (and none of the WTA matches) had livestream. I don't know if that will change later in the week.
In the later stages of the tournament, things might improve with usually better coverage from the media. Let's hope Gilles goes that far! :D

Brownie
01-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Let's hope Gilles goes that far! :D
:sobbing: My heart is so conflicted!

But yes, if he makes it past this round, hopefully he'll go far and make it to livestream:)

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
It frustrates me to no end when there are streams available through the betting sites, and I can't watch them because I'm in the US:o
I've read in GM that there are tricks to pretend your computer is located elsewhere in the world. Also read that most if not all betting sites are no more free. :(

Brownie
01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh well, I guess I don't feel like tricking the system:shrug: Thanks for the tip though.

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:16 PM
:sobbing: My heart is so conflicted!
I thought it would actually be the contrary. Whoever wins tonight, there will be a good news for you tomorrow! :D

Scotso
01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
good luck, Gilles!

(if you lose to Gasquetcase, I'll never forgive you :p)

Brownie
01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
It's true, I did just realize in the last 20 minutes that there will be good news either way:)...but I really would rather have Richie win.

Hey, look at that, Scott's back!

MsTree
01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Bet365 definitely aren't showing it. I've lost my password to Betfair. Myp2p, Channelsurfing, Atdhe and Justin have no links. You would think that at least one French channel would take it!
We might have to rely on a friendly Aussie to cap it for us....

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
SCOTT !! :hug: where have you been ?! :(

Truc
01-13-2009, 07:26 PM
good luck, Gilles!

(if you lose to Gasquetcase, I'll never forgive you :p):lol: That's quite a comeback.
And I see some Gasquetaires are already getting cocky and gloating in advance in the other player forums because of the incredible run their boy is on. :p
So please, Gilles, don't let us down, get your act together against Ritchie this time.

Scotso
01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
:confused:

I didn't go anywhere. I've been reading, I've just not really had anything to say. :p I go through phases like this. My last one lasted over a month, so this one was rather short. ;)

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
You would think that at least one French channel would take it!
We might have to rely on a friendly Aussie to cap it for us....
Tennis is not that popular of a sport in France, at least for now. With 1 or 2 GS titles in the bag of some Frenchies, things might change and first rounds of a minor tourney overseas might interest some channels here.. there still a long way to go.

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
And I see some Gasquetaires are already getting cocky and gloating in advance in the other player forums because of the incredible run their boy is on. :p
yeah, just because he got through the first round! :rolleyes:

OMG, I sound like Richie21 >_<

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I didn't go anywhere. I've been reading, I've just not really had anything to say. :p I go through phases like this. My last one lasted over a month, so this one was rather short. ;)
Considering I've been on this board for only 2 monthes, that short phase feels still long..
Anyway, glad to read you again. :D

MsTree
01-13-2009, 07:46 PM
As long as you don't start sounding like ruanz33 then I think we could live with it Nat:)
I'm surprised at you saying that tennis isn't that big in France, jeez there are so many fantastic French players, you really are spoilt for choice! :)

but-it's-ok
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Good luck Gilles:rocker:

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Arf! My english is a bit rough >_< I meant Tennis is a popular sport here but nowhere near football or even Rugby as far as media coverage is concerned. The fact that France is/was a real contender at the world level in those two sports has a lot to do with that situation imo.

Truc
01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
yeah, just because he got through the first round! :rolleyes:

OMG, I sound like Richie21 >_<But I realize my sentence was confusing, I wasn't talking about what people might say in the other player forums, I was just hinting at Puschkin coming to this forum to gloat in advance.
It was well-meant, just a little joke because she made me laugh with her post.

turtle-rn
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
But I realize my sentence was confusing, I wasn't talking about what people might say in the other player forums, I was just hinting at Puschkin coming to this forum to gloat in advance.
Oops My bad! I just had a peek over there and it does fit your previous comment too.. >_<

arf! 10PM already. got to go! maybe later all :wavey:

Puschkin
01-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I was just hinting at Puschkin coming to this forum to gloat in advance.
I knew you were hinting at me in a previous mail. :p

I kept some caution, though. I said that you can send the tissues back to me, to have something for my tears if it goes wrong.

Olympus
01-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm just about to head off to the Medibank International. :banana:

MsTree
01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Arf! My english is a bit rough >_< I meant Tennis is a popular sport here but nowhere near football or even Rugby as far as media coverage is concerned. The fact that France is/was a real contender at the world level in those two sports has a lot to do with that situation imo.

Your English is spectacular compared to my French :p
Your revision holds good for Scotland, football will never be displaced as our national game even though we're not terribly good at it! And that's regardless of whether Andy manages to win a slam or not! And both Rugby and Golf are probably more popular... The ATP probably have to shoulder the blame for lack of media coverage for non-Slam tournaments, as they sell the TV rights to subscription only channels, if tennis was on public channels regularly there would be more widespread interest in it. Thank heavens for streaming! (although not tomorrow it would appear :sad:).

Good luck Gilles:rocker:
With an eye on the Norwich game, you could do with a wee bit of luck in the 2nd half Di! I'll put on my witches hat and see if that helps... ;)

I was just hinting at Puschkin coming to this forum to gloat in advance.
She's just sore her beloved Marat got pumped in straights at the Hopman Cup:devil: (Hope his shoulder's all right for the AO though:))

I'm just about to head off to the Medibank International. :banana:
You carry the enormous weight of good wishes of the Poulailler with you. Looking forward to your report David! Enjoy your day! :)

Puschkin
01-13-2009, 08:23 PM
She's just sore her beloved Marat got pumped in straights at the Hopman Cup:devil: (Hope his shoulder's all right for the AO though:))
:rolls: But she is not stupid enough to take exos seriously. :p

Somehow I feel I am on the wrong thread. Maybe I am. ;)

MsTree
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
:rolls: But she is not stupid enough to take exos seriously. :p

In Scotland we take exhos VERY seriously :devil::devil::devil:
Marat did look hot with his black eyes though. :cool:

MacArthur
01-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Great ! That's the way to go, Gilles ! :yeah:

[I am with you by the way simontards. I've supported my share of vengefull Gasquetaires last week :lol: ]

Edit: Damn, why I took so long to write

MsTree
01-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Gillou's 1st serve - 18% FFS! 3 breaks of serve in the first three games between them! :o
Gasquet held his serve to stop it becoming a break fest 3-1 :eek:
Gillou had a great service game there, 3-2. Dragged his % up to 29%!

anaquot
01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Les and Alli :wavey: Insomnia is back so it is livescores again, despite the agony...I read your post and thought you meant that Gilles was up 3-1 so you can imagine the shock I got when I opened up the livescore box!!!

MsTree
01-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Sorry Autumn I'm not awake yet! I probably could've written it clearer! Gilles hasn't brought his serve with him today, another service game lost 5-2 to Richie :(

Way to go Gilles, broken back - 5-3 :)

MacArthur
01-14-2009, 05:30 AM
At last, Giles :)

You need to hold now :(

Give us some aces :devil:

MsTree
01-14-2009, 05:47 AM
MTF is being a total pain :eek:

He had 2 set points against him but managed to hold on in the end - 5-4
I looked at the service stats and Gillou - 45% Richie - 43%:eek:
Richie takes the first set in the end 6-4
And breaks him in the first game :o
Still we've been here before, a set and a break down!

MsTree
01-14-2009, 05:55 AM
He's really struggling on his serve, how on earth is his % still above Richie's?
Broken again 3-0. He's had 8 DFs to Richie's 4:eek:
Chardy's got 3MP against Andreev! Although he might've won already and the livescore's just stuck :lol:

Yay he broke back 3-1 :)
And held 3-2 :worship:

That Chardy MP must be longest in history, according to the SB they've been playing the point for about 10 minutes :lol:

Night Alli!

MsTree
01-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Normal service is resumed, going with serve 4-3 (in Richie's favour)
5-3
Richie's made his points on Gilles' 2nd serve 71% against 20% of Gillou's 1st serves. That and his 10 DFs :o
5-4 now, Richie serving for the match :(
Allez Gillou!

:sad: 6-4 6-4. Maybe my spell landed on Jeremy Chardy instead :(

42% 1st serve to Richie's 34% :eek:
5 aces to 3
10 DFs to 5
29% 2nd serve pts won to 58% :o
10/15 BPs saved to 3/6

15BPs Gilles!!! :rolleyes:
You really don't make it easy for yourself!

Nevermind, Puschkin will be along with some hankies any minute now:p

*MJP*
01-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Bizarre match :confused: Bad luck Gilles, hopefully he will have a much better run at the Aussie Open next week

Truc
01-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Great ! That's the way to go, Gilles ! :yeah:

[I am with you by the way simontards. I've supported my share of vengefull Gasquetaires last week :lol: ]Thanks for your support. ;)

Thanks, lesley, and sorry for not keeping you company, but he already was one set and one break down when I opened the scoreboard, so I preferred not to follow it. It's not a shocker, he wasn't the favourite going into this match anyway for the bookmakers (and even less for me with my theory of him turning into a complete headcase against Richard).
But he needs to sort out his serve very quickly, he was already looking so shaky on his serve even in exhos like Toulouse, hitting tons of DF against Llodra too.

MsTree
01-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Well he's got a few days now to practise :lol:

Right off to work, at least I get a lie in tomorrow! :)

turtle-rn
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Maybe my spell landed on Jeremy Chardy instead :(
:lol: that has to be, there's no other explanation!

Good thing I'm swamped with work and couldn't follow SB. Poor result, thoses stats are :help:
Still too rusty from the off season? bad thing is that he won't have other matches before the AO and that's what he obviously needs.

Olympus
01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Back from the tournament. :bounce:

Even though he lost, almost the entire crowd was on his side, they were cheering really loudly for his winners (and Richie's errors :tape::p). Richie seemed a bit peeved off at the crowd. :p

Gillou was mumbling to himself throughout the entire match, was quite adorable.

Took lots of pictures, will upload them soon. :D

Olympus
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Oh, and he couldn't throw in a 1st serve to save his life. :help:

Truc
01-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks a lot, Olympus, great job, it's comforting to know the crowd was supporting him.

Gilles mumbling to himself throughout the entire match is normal! Puschkin made the same remark when she saw him in Vienna. Not a good sign, though, most of the time.

Scotso
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
:mad: <---- This is me, not happy.

but-it's-ok
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Gillou:sad: Sorry that Gilles couldn't have lasted longer in the tournament for you Dave(representing us Simontards out there). Good that he had the support from the crowd;)

I cant comment on the match cos I didn't see it. The troubles on his serve,frustrating and horrible though they are right now,he's trying to make some adjustments to the one shot that he can be in sole control of usually to the disadvantage of the opponent. When he's serving at the moment it must feel so alien and unnatural to him, which is leading to a real lack of confidence on it.:sad:. I hope he's getting analysis and feedback on the part of the technique that is faltering on serve. Its very worrying,but I'm sure with hard work and perseverance it will come right again.;)

I hope you guys can see the point I'm making;)

MsTree
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes Di the point is not lost!
Hopefully it will be Gillou's day next time they meet. :)

Can't believe I only posted this yesterday
if tennis was on public channels regularly there would be more widespread interest in it.

BBC Scotland have just announced they are showing Andy's matches from the AO live (they would normally just be shown on the interactive stream). There's progress for you! :):):)

Ivanatis
01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
at least he can enter the AO freshly now

lets hope for a good draw for him :)

Tutu
01-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Lol Gilles sort it out or you wont win AO. :lol:

Allez. Come on.

but-it's-ok
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Les,the speed at which your suggestion was adopted-magical:lol:
:worship:

BBC Scotland:rocker:

turtle-rn
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
MTF is being a total pain :eek:
Did you notice it happens always at the same time, between 6 and 7AM GMT ? MTF servers probably perform a daily maintenance at those hours.

I cant comment on the match cos I didn't see it. The troubles on his serve,frustrating and horrible though they are right now,he's trying to make some adjustments to the one shot that he can be in sole control of usually to the disadvantage of the opponent. When he's serving at the moment it must feel so alien and unnatural to him, which is leading to a real lack of confidence on it.:sad:. I hope he's getting analysis and feedback on the part of the technique that is faltering on serve. Its very worrying,but I'm sure with hard work and perseverance it will come right again.;)
Didn't see the match either but looking at the stats data, the troubles on his serve hardly explain this straight defeat. Actually, he better served than Gasquet : overall, 42% 1st serve vs 34%(!!) for Gasquet, 80% 1st serve points won vs 65% for Gasquet. What is more "remarkable" are his poor stats on his return game : 42% 2nd return points won vs 71% for Gasquet!!
It seems the other departments of his game were not in place either; I'm still inclined to think this is the result of a lack of consistency in concentration and in his overall game, which wouldn't be surprising for a player resuming competition. In this perspective, the worrying thing is that he will still be lacking competition when he'll enter Melbourne next week.

Olympus
01-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I think the positive from this match was he looked quite good and comfortable at the net. His serving was atrocious, out of his missed first serves, i think 80% of them were dumped half way up the net. :help:

turtle-rn
01-15-2009, 01:00 AM
That's good news! :D too bad I couldn't find any stats about the winners/UE/volleys to get a broader picture of that match (even though stats only tell half stories).

Truc
01-15-2009, 06:59 AM
His reaction in L'Equipe, nothing worrying, it was just a practice match so to say :p:
« Pas le feu au lac »
GILLES SIMON n’était ni déçu ni inquiet d’avoir été battu hier par Richard Gasquet (6-4, 6-4). La semaine prochaine, Gilles Simon attaquera l’Open d’Australie sans la moindre victoire en match officiel cette année. Un peu parce qu’il avait choisi de découvrir la Hopman Cup plutôt que de se montrer sur le circuit, à Doha ou à Brisbane, beaucoup parce qu’il a valdingué d’entrée hier à Sydney. Faut-il plaindre le numéro 2 français ? Il ne voit pas pourquoi. Devrait-il s’inquiéter ? Il ne voit pas le rapport. SYDNEY – (AUS) de notre envoyé spécial

« QUE DE FRAPPES BOISÉES, que de déchet, que de doubles fautes… De l’extérieur, on se demandait pourquoi vous persistiez tant à forcer votre jeu contre Gasquet…
– Attention, je n’ai quand même pas joué freestyle. Mais je suis d’accord : de l’extérieur, on pouvait se dire : “Mais qu’est-ce qu’il fout Simon à arroser partout ? C’est pas lui, ça !” Normalement, quand je commence à en mettre partout, je sais passer au plan B et revenir à un jeu plus sécuritaire. J’aurais pu reculer et faire jouer Richard. Mais, depuis un mois, je suis en train de me fabriquer un schéma de jeu plus risqué qui doit m’aider à plus long terme. Si je ne l’essaye pas à Sydney, je l’essaye où et quand ? Voilà pourquoi j’ai accepté tant d’erreurs. Sinon, au bout d’un moment, j’en aurais eu marre de manger des doubles fautes (dix hier).
– Vous n’étiez pas intéressé plus que ça par la victoire. Pourquoi ?
– J’ai l’impression que ce genre de tournoi ne compte plus trop pour moi. Le Masters France, la Hopman Cup ou Sydney, c’est kif-kif dans mon esprit. Avant le match, je n’étais pas anxieux et, après, je ne suis même pas déçu. Je ne voulais pas “méga” gagner ce match. Si j’avais voulu, je n’aurais pas défié Richard au petit jeu en deux-trois coups de raquette, là où il est le plus fort.
« Je vise plus haut qu’un huitième »
– Vous avez donc décidé de faire évoluer votre jeu, celui qui vous a mené au Masters et au 6e rang mondial, celui avec lequel vous avez battu l’an dernier et Federer et Nadal…
– Oui. J’ai la certitude que je dois me trouver un service plus fort. Cet hiver, j’ai déjà gagné une bonne dizaine de kilomètres/heure en première comme en seconde balle. Mais je dois réussir à servir fort plus longtemps J’ai trop perdu de matches parce que le mec d’en face servait mieux que moi sur la fin. Ensuite, autre priorité, le coup droit d’attaque. C’est essentiel que je prenne confiance dans cette arme. Je sais m’en servir à l’entraînement, je dois aussi pouvoir avoiner sur ces balles hautes en match.
– Vous allez attaquer l’Open d’Australie sans victoire en match officiel. Cela doit vous turlupiner…
– Désolé, mais non. Y a pas le feu au lac. La Hopman Cup n’est peut-être pas une compétition officielle mais ce ne sont pas des matches en bois. Je sais aussi que, physiquement, j’en ai sous le capot. C’est moi qui ai passé deux heures en plein cagnard ici à m’entraîner avec Hewitt, juste après une séance de muscu.
– Comptez-vous développer ce “nouveau” jeu à risques à Melbourne ?
– Melbourne, c’est autre chose. Ça fait trois mois que j’attends ce “putain” de tournoi. Je fais hyper gaffe parce que, par le passé, chaque fois que j’ai autant attendu un grand tournoi, je me suis planté (à Roland- Garros). Melbourne, c’est trop important. Là-bas, si je suis en danger au premier tour, je n’aurai aucun scrupule à revenir vers mon jeu plus défensif. Mais je continuerai à croire que mes chances de progrès dépendront ces prochains mois de ma capacité à oser plus. À l’avenir, je voudrais que gagner un match comme une “crapule”, en limant quatre heures, ne soit que mon ultime recours.
– Vous ne vous cachez pas. À Melbourne, vous voyez grand. Grand comment ?
– Je n’ai jamais atteint un huitième de finale en Grand Chelem. Mais franchement, je vise plus haut que ça. Genre, au moins une demi-finale. Moi, je veux battre un “gros” en Grand Chelem. J’ai battu Nadal et Federer ailleurs. J’aimerais le refaire en Grand Chelem.
– Préféreriez-vous une demi-finale en Grand Chelem à une place dans le top 10 mondial ?
– Mais oui, cent fois ! J’entends ici et là des gens se demander si Machin, Bidule ou moi allons rester dans le top 10 cette année. Waouh, quelle affaire ! Moi, je n’en ai rien à cirer. Ce que je veux, c’est gagner un Masters Series ou faire une énorme percée dans un tournoi du Grand Chelem. Dans ma tête, en fin de saison, soit je serai 5e en ayant réussi un de ces trucs, soit je serai 30e. Refaire la même chose que l’an dernier, je trouve ça sous-motivant. Je veux avancer. Aller plus haut. Et je sais que ça sera très dur. Mais si j’arrive en finale à Melbourne et que derrière je ne fais plus rien de spécial, je serai très content.
– Avez-vous été vexé d’entendre certains joueurs dire que si Simon est dans le top 10, alors pourquoi pas Pierre, Paul, Jacques ou eux-mêmes ?
– Ça m’a fait marrer. Ce n’est pas demain la veille que ces mecs-là y seront. C’est tellement facile de dire ça. C’est rigolo, c’est les mêmes mecs qui ne passent jamais le deuxième tour des tournois. Tant qu’ils y sont, ils n’ont qu’à dire : “Les treize titres en Grand Chelem de Federer, c’est du flan. Je fais ça quand je veux.” C’est les mêmes qui nous racontent depuis des années que Nadal va exploser. Et Nadal est numéro 1 mondial. »
FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS

Truc
01-15-2009, 07:06 AM
The article about the match with the comments of Tulasne and Peyre is here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8009397&postcount=1095
I'm horribly late today, I'll make a summary in English later (unless somebody else does it in the meantime, of course).

Truc
01-15-2009, 09:02 AM
The article is more about Ritchie, that's why I posted it over there. It says he was less brilliant and creative than in Brisbane, "but so clever", Tulasne says. "He played exactly the shots Gilles doesn't like." Peyre (Gasquet's coach) says they had really thought together about an "anti-Simon" gameplan. "Gilles loves to outsmart his opponent/prevent him from playing. We thought we were going to do the same with him." So Ritchie played a lot of short sliced returns to lure Gilles to the net, where he doesn't feel at ease, and then pass him immediately. There were some hiccups (Ritchie was broken 3 times), but the plan worked well. Gilles was being generous with loads of UE too and always trailed in the match. Peyre: it wasn't a big Gasquet, but he did exactly what he had to do. He could have been more relaxed at times, but he proved to himself that he didn't need to play out of his mind to beat the world number 7. ^^

Truc
01-15-2009, 09:04 AM
And a simplified translation of the interview (just the first 2 questions for the time being to give you an idea of his point):

- So many mishits, so much waste in your game, so many DF... Watching the match from the stands, one was wondering why you kept trying to overplay against Gasquet.
- I wasn't playing completely "freestyle", but it's true, people probably thought: "but what is Simon doing spraying UE all over the court? It's not his game!" When I start shanking shots, I usually know I need to come up with "plan B" and get back to a safer game. I could have moved back and made Richard play more. But I've been trying for one month to play a more risky game which is supposed to help in a long term. If I don't try to play like that in Sydney, where and when will I try? That's why I accepted to make so many errors. Otherwise I would have been sick of hitting all those DF after a while.

- You were not that interested in winning the match. Why?
- It feels like this type of tournament doesn't count so much anymore. The Masters France, the Hopman Cup or Sydney are pretty much the same in my mind. I wasn't worried before the match and I'm not even disappointed afterwards. I didn't "badly" want to win the match. If I wanted to, I wouldn't have tried to challenge Richard in that kind of game (2-3 shots rallies) where he is stronger.

Truc
01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
The rest:

- So you've decided to change your game, the game which brought you to the Masters Cup and the 6th spot in the rankings, which allowed you to beat Federer and Nadal last year...
- Yes. I'm convinced I need to serve harder. I already gained about ten km/h on my first and second serve during the winter. But I need to be able to serve like that during a longer period. I lost too many matches because the other guy was serving better than me at the end of the match. The other priority is the attacking FH. It's essential for me to feel confident in this weapon. I know how to use it in training, I need to be take advantage of the high balls on that side in matches too.

- You'll enter the AO without a win under your belt. It has to bug you...
- Sorry, but no. There's no panic. The Hopman Cup might not be an official event, but the matches there aren't complete jokes either. I also know I can hold out physically. I spent two hours training with Hewitt in the blazing sun the other day just after a work-out session in the gym.

- Are you planning on developping your "new" risky game in Melbourne?
- Melbourne is different. I've been waiting for that damn tournament for 3 months. I'm very careful because everytime I've been dying to play a big event in the past, I failed (in Roland-Garros). Melbourne is too important. If I'm in danger in the 1st round, I'll have no scruples about going back to a more defensive game. But I'll still think that my chances to improve depend on my ability to dare more in the next months. I'd like that winning a match like a "crook", struggling four hours on the court, becomes my last resort in the future.

- You make no secret of your big ambitions in Melbourne. How big are they?
- I've never reached the 4th round of a Slam. But to be honest, I aim higher. Like, a semi-final. I want to beat a top player in a Slam. I beat Nadal and Federer in other events. I'd like to do it again in a Slam.

- Would you take a semi-final in a Slam over a spot in the top 10?
- Yes, hundred times! I hear sometimes people wonder if X or Y is going to stay in the top 10 this year. Wow, huge deal there! I couldn't care less. I want to win a Masters Series or to do a huge thing in a Slam. In my mind, at the end of the season, I'll be ranked either #5 because I'll have achieved one of these goals or I'll be #30. To do the same as last year is "undermotivating" for me. I want to progress. To go higher. And I know it will be very tough. But if I reach the final in Melbourne and I don't do anything for the rest of the year, I'll be happy.

- Were you hurt to hear some players say that if Simon is top 10, everybody, including themselves, can do it too?
- I had a good laugh. Those guys are not going to enter the top 10 in a while. It's so easy to say that. It's funny, they're not making it past the 2nd round in tournaments [he might be discreetly hinting at Benneteau here...] While they're at it, why not say: "Federer's 13 GS are no big deal, I can do it too". The very same guys also have been saying for years that Nadal is going to go down. And Nadal is world number 1.

Truc
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
A lot of things he says make sense to me. But the thing with the Gasquet match is not very convincing imo. Why not try to win that match in a normal way and then use the next one to experiment more? Why not come up with plan B at one point when he saw his tactic wasn't working? I do believe he had decided to play like that before the match, but I think he was eluding the fight too.

He scares me a bit with his obsession with the Slams because as he says, things have often turned badly in the past then, but I like he's ready to end the year ranked #30 if it doesn't work anyway.

turtle-rn
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Fran for the article. I agree about the Gasquet bit; this is probably Gilles' first interview that leaves me more than skeptical. "wasting" a whole match for the sake of experimenting a new approach to his game is a bit extreme, especially in this circumstance : one week before a grand slam, with no competition under his belt and against a struggling Gasquet who was more than beatable.

He sounds rather pissed off in this interview ^^

MsTree
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Theres something in this that doesn't ring true - I can get that he's experimenting and that's fine but this was a competitive match in a tourney against someone he's never beaten? He should have been more fired up imo!
Or maybe I just expect too much from him!

Keijan
01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Merci beaucoup Truc for the article and translation :)

I agree with you all - I find it strange that he's talking about experimenting during the whole match. He never beat Richie and he was always so excited when he was about to play him. I'm okay with the fact that he tried a new approach but when he saw it wasn't working, he should have changed. He sounds a little like he could have totally won the match had he wanted and Richard had nothing to do with it and it's a bit... I don't know, I feel he acts like that mostly with Richard. I do know they're the less close of the 4 musqueteers and Gilles could have been annoyed by all the Richie is so talented talk through the years when he was struggling to be acknowledge by a few people. Maybe he's a bit blind when it comes to Richie -I still think he's a very honest person, but maybe he's not completely honest with himself here.

MsTree
01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I still think he's a very honest person, but maybe he's not completely honest with himself here.
I think you might have put your finger on it there Keijan, and that makes me ever so slightly concerned :(

Truc
01-15-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't find that concerning because he is like that a lot imo.

I find him very honest as he won't say things to the media just because that's what the media want to hear. He will say what is on his mind. Which means that if he's pissed off after a match, he won't make any effort either to give the opponent credit in interviews.

But what is on his mind isn't necessarily true, he sometimes deludes himself imo, when he means he lost because he was unlucky, or because he didn't really want it, etc. He regularly says that. Like when he says he doesn't want to win matches 6-2 6-1 or the story after the Youzhny match in Miami. As for me, I don't buy it, I don't think he is completely honest with himself there either. But it's apparently his way to deal with those situations, so... whatever works for him.

Puschkin
01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I think it is perfectly fine to voice high ambitions for the AO and I have no difficulties to believe that he was not fully motivated for a tourney like Sydney. But to experiment in match in which the opponent also played badly, does ring a bit strange, in particular when it was his first real match of 2009. There was enough time to experiment at the Hopman Cup.

Truc
01-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm sure Richard also deserves way more credit than Gilles is giving him, of course, Tulasne acknowledges it was the perfect tactic against Gilles. And if he had been given a chance to win, Gilles would have been too happy to finally beat Ritchie.
But Gilles must also have played in a weird way for the journalist to ask him "what the heck were you thinking out there?"

It's the easy way out, but it makes sense he decided to put himself in that frame of mind. "I'm just experimenting around anyway." That way he doesn't feel crushed by the defeat a few days before the AO.
It's quite artificial because we know he badly, badly wants to beat Richard, on the contrary. But it was not the appropriate time for that match.

Keijan
01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
I think Truc voiced my thoughts much better than I did :worship: (I really have trouble voicing them correctly in English so I'm going to practice a bit ! Sorry for that :lol:)

He's honest in the sense where he says what he believes is true and doesn't care about who's listening or if he should say it or not. But I think there are some things he just refuses to admit ("à chaud", when he's still in the match and didn't have time to reflect much on it). As a result, what he says is not always accurate but it's not because he's lying or pretending, but because it's his way of protecting himself, even if he's not totally conscient of it. How does that sound :lol: okay it was far from fluent English but I'm working on it.

This way of thinking is very close to mine actually. I often refuse to see the situation as it really is so as not to admit that I failed, or didn't do all that I should have. And then I have enough and sit somewhere to deal with myself, because deep down I know that I'm wrong and it's not a satisfying feeling at all. But I'm probably reading to much in those quotes, haha ^^ And as Truc said, whatever works for him.

As long as he doesn't start to experiment in the middle of the AO final against Murray when he's leading two sets to love, I'm fine with it :lol:

Brownie
01-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Gilles is in Rafa's quarter for AO and is playing Pablo Andujar (who??) in the 1st round.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Tutu
01-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah... ALLEZ Gilles. I believe!

turtle-rn
01-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Gilles is in Rafa's quarter for AO and is playing Pablo Andujar (who??) in the 1st round.
Exactly my reaction. :lol:

Just checked on Wikipedia :
Pablo Andújar
best ranking : 88th (25/08/2008)
entered a GS MD only twice before, lost to Nicolas Devilder in USO 08 1st R.
and that's it!
Should be an easy first round for Gillou if he's not experimenting too much.>_<

LaMonf, Richie, Serra & Devilder are also in the same quarter. (and Misha :sad: )

Gilles' quarter for the lazy handed

[1] Nadal vs C Rochus
Serra vs Karanusic
Schwank vs Haas
Q vs [29] Tursunov
[24] Gasquet vs Junqueira
Spadea vs Istomin
Canas vs Kiefer
Hewitt vs [13] Gonzalez

[12] Monfils vs Vassallo Arguello
Youzhny vs Koubek
Golubev vs Fognini
Massu vs [17] Almagro
[25] Karlovic vs Gimeno-Traver
Volandri vs Ancic
Guccione vs Devilder
Andujar vs [6] Simon

Puschkin
01-16-2009, 01:49 AM
[1] Nadal vs C Rochus
Serra vs Karanusic
Schwank vs Haas
Q vs [29] Tursunov
[24] Gasquet vs Junqueira
Spadea vs Istomin
Canas vs Kiefer
Hewitt vs [13] Gonzalez

[12] Monfils vs Vassallo Arguello
Youzhny vs Koubek
Golubev vs Fognini
Massu vs [17] Almagro
[25] Karlovic vs Gimeno-Traver
Volandri vs Ancic
Guccione vs Devilder
Andujar vs [6] Simon

This is shit, almost all frenchies packed together.:o

anaquot
01-16-2009, 02:27 AM
statistically with all of the high ranked frenchies they are bound to seem to be packed together :) like all of the russian girls :)

simplet
01-16-2009, 02:29 AM

Well Serra has to beat Nadal to play Gasquet, same for Gasquet if he wants to play against Monfils/Simon in the quarterfinals. So if one of them do it, I'll gladly take a french duel in the quarters!

But I agree that it sucks for Simon and Monfils to meet early like that.

HoistDaColors
01-16-2009, 03:39 AM

if the rest of the ATP can't beat them, let them beat each other. :mad:

seriously, this draw is not that bad. He has beaten Karlovic before and Ancic isn't 100%. When it comes to Monfils, we'll just have to wait and see who is more consistent that day. (Gilles, below 50% first serve ain't gonna fly...)

Truc
01-16-2009, 05:54 AM
I rather see it like simplet and as for me, I'd even glady take a Simon-Monfils match!

Some news in L’Equipe:
LES BOBOS DE SIMON. – Ce n’est peut-être pas grave, mais Gilles Simon se passerait bien de ces douleurs persistantes au biceps droit et au pied gauche. « C’est surtout celle sur le dessus du pied qui m’ennuie parce qu’elle affecte mes déplacements, surtout au retour », regrettait hier le 7e mondial.
Probably nothing serious, but he has persistant pain in the right biceps and in the top of the left foot. He says that the foot is annoying him because it hampers his movement, especially in return.

Puschkin
01-16-2009, 06:08 AM
.........and as for me, I'd even glady take a Simon-Monfils match!

But wouldn't this one tear you apart?

Truc
01-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Still, the positives clearly outweigh the few negatives (tough one for me personally, but that's not important + not great for them to play a friend + no great news for the viewers either :p). It means they would both be in the 4th round of a Slam, one of them would make it to a QF, for both of them it's pretty much the best seed they could get at that point because they're both really beatable... Honestly, it sounds great to me.

But they're really, really not there yet. With Karlovic, Ancic, Youzhny, etc. in that part of the draw. And both having painful feet.

turtle-rn
01-16-2009, 08:53 AM
(tough one for me personally, but that's not important + not great for them to play a friend + no great news for the viewers either :p)
The obvious solution to this : go for a Misha-Gillou 4R match! :D :p

Eimear O'Mahony
01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
I think it's a winnable enough quarter of the section for Gilles. I can't see too many players in that section who would give him trouble if he plays his best tennis. Monfils is a very inconsistent player so it depends which Monfils shows up as to whether Gilles comes through that match or not. Saying that, I'd fancy Gilles to beat Monfils even with Monfils playing good tennis. I'd love to see a Simon/Murray semi-final which could happen I think if both players get to that stage if I remember the draw rightly?

Keijan
01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, it could happen if Gilles beats Rafa in quarters. (I'd love to see Richard beating Rafa in 4th round but I don't think that will ever happen in this world !) But I'm not sure Gilles can first get past Gaël that easily because Gaël seems on a great roll since the beginning of the year, and sadly we can't say that much for Gillou.

Of course all my favs had to be in the same half of the draw, except for Paulo :banghead: I hate that, I always feel guilty cheering for one or the other !

Keijan
01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Truc, who would you be cheering for during a Simon/Monfils match ? :D
It's a hypothetical situation, I'm not jinxing them in any way :angel:
(have they played each other before by the way ? I only remember the sorry doubles, cf my avatar :lol:)

simplet
01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Truc, who would you be cheering for during a Simon/Monfils match ? :D
It's a hypothetical situation, I'm not jinxing them in any way :angel:
(have they played each other before by the way ? I only remember the sorry doubles, cf my avatar :lol:)

That's easy. If they play each other, always cheer for the one who has the most points and confidence to gain. That way next time they won't meet so early. For example with this draw I'm hoping for a good match between Gilles and Gael, won by Gael in let's say five sets, and then a Monfils-Gasquet quarter-final won by Gasquet in four. That way Gael gets into the top ten, and Richard makes an impression and forgets about 2008.
Also that way you're always cheering for the underdog, that's easier.

Truc
01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
As for me, I cheer for Gilles Simon over the whole ATP tour, so that's easy too. :fangirl:

(If you like cheering for the underdog, you have to cheer against Richard in the French battles, simplet :p, he always is the favourite except against Jo, he clearly was the favourite against Gilles the other day too on Betfair & Co.)

Eimear O'Mahony
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't have the same problems you guys would in whether to cheer for Monfils or Simon ... Simon all the way!!! However, Simon vs Murray now that's a whole different prospect!!! I wouldn't have a clue who to go for there so I can appreciate your Simon/Monfils dilemma a little

Keijan
01-16-2009, 02:47 PM
It seems I'm the only one with a Simon/Monfils dilemma here :lol: I looked on atp.com and they actually never played each other. How strange !

But Simplet, if Richard get to the quarters it means he has beaten Rafa the round before, so there is his big impression :) I also feel like no matter the rankings, Richard is very rarely the underdog against the Frenchies. And are we sure that Gaël will enter the top 10 if he gets to the quarters ? Since he has absolutely no points to save, maybe a third round win will suffice. Or maybe even a quarter won't, if the other top ten are doing great...
As for Gillou, after his big declarations like his aim is at least to go into 4th round, he has a lot to lose if Gaël beats him, and I really don't want to hear the comments people are going to make if he doesn't realise what he said he was expecting to do !

What can I say ? I want them all to win the tournament :lol: (Honestly the victory will go to the best, I just want them all to be in top form, beginning with Jo :sad:)

MsTree
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
However, Simon vs Murray now that's a whole different prospect!!! I wouldn't have a clue who to go for there so I can appreciate your Simon/Monfils dilemma a little

That's my dilemma too although Gillou has managed to capture my heart so I cheer for him. It's a win win situation really! :D So I keep telling myself anyway :cool:

Eimear O'Mahony
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
That's my dilemma too although Gillou has managed to capture my heart so I cheer for him. It's a win win situation really! :D So I keep telling myself anyway :cool:

Yeah I must agree he seems to have captured my heart too and although I'll always be a Murray fan too more and more I'm beginning to think I'd cheer for Gilles in a Simon/Murray encounter. I know what you mean about the win/win. At the Masters Cup in Shanghai I found myself able to appreciate the tennis from both of them when they played because I didn't mind who won because either way one of my favourite players won

but-it's-ok
01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Gillou is the only Frenchman for me, and yes I'd cheer for him even if he was playing Murray;) I think Gillou has a reasonable draw,but I try not to look too far ahead;)

MsTree
01-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Monday's OOP is out, Gillou must be playing on Tuesday :)

There's been a few Frenchies to occupy my heart over the years and I still have a soft spot for Henri Leconte :hearts: And I cheer for Jo because he has such a lovely smile although I'm not a great fan of his game :p
But Gillou (and Andy) have me screaming at my laptop / TV in a way I've never done before, must be getting old :devil:

Eimear O'Mahony
01-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Bring on Tuesday then (or Monday in this part of the world!). Let's hope that Gilles' matches will actually be televised and he's not stuck on the outside courts which will have either no cameras or they don't bother showing the match (don't think Eurosport UK has the multi-court option unfortunately). It'd be nice to see even one of his early round matches. Fingers crosseed!

MsTree
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Thought you were in the same part of the world as me! We're 11 hours behind Melbourne and play starts at 11am so that's midnight for me. Had to thoroughly work it out as I've made mistakes here before :lol: Like this morning when I got up 2 hours early for the Sydney Final :lol::lol::lol:

Eimear O'Mahony
01-17-2009, 10:38 AM
No I am from the same part of the world as you. I'm from Ireland *LOL* I meant it'll be midnight on Monday here rather than 11am Tuesday morning. I'm probably not making much sense. Only got about 3 hours sleep because I was out last night so my apologies! *LOL*

MsTree
01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
:lol: Its always good for me to check on here as I am notoriously bad at time zone conversions and someone will always put me right :)

Elena.
01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Bring on Tuesday then (or Monday in this part of the world!). Let's hope that Gilles' matches will actually be televised and he's not stuck on the outside courts which will have either no cameras or they don't bother showing the match (don't think Eurosport UK has the multi-court option unfortunately). It'd be nice to see even one of his early round matches. Fingers crosseed!

On bet365 they state that they will stream every match,there's not the full window option though.Hopefully some other streaming will show up :scratch:

MsTree
01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I thought they were charging a £10 subscription for "every match" option - I may be wrong though, it was just an ad that flashed up. Hopefully if they're charging it'll be better quality than the Sydney final where the sound was way out of sync. Atdhe.net had a much better quality stream today ... :)

Elena.
01-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes,10 euros here.I keep it as last resort if nothing else better or well organized shows up .

Eimear O'Mahony
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Hopefully something will turn up and if not we'll just have to rely on the pictures thread to give us some pictures to drool over and hopefully You Tube will have highlights. It's such a shame that even though he's a top 10 player he doesn't get the same recognition as the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and co and get put on the show courts from the early stages. By my reckoning the first time we'll see Gilles on a show court would be the match against Monfils if they both make it that far. As for time zone conversions - I am absolutely dreadful. I just know what time it's on television over here. I don't have a clue what time it is where the tournament itself is being played!

Truc
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
The Eurosport Player isn't available in your countries? It will cover 5 courts and more importantly for me, it has the matches on demand then because I don't stay up for tennis.
But I'm not sure at all Gilles will be on one of the 5 show courts in the 1st round, Ferrer is on court 8, Wawrinka on court 19...

You'll have to cheer for Guccione in the 1st round if you want to see Gilles in the 2nd round.

Elena.
01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
The Eurosport Player isn't available in your countries? It will cover 5 courts and more importantly for me, it has the matches on demand then because I don't stay up for tennis.

In Italy I think not,last year it wasn't.Still I am not sure about this season..

Eimear O'Mahony
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know about the Eurosport Player because I don't watch matches on the Internet. I tend to watch it on television (the Australian Open always means two weeks of no sleep!) so I just watch it on Eurosport UK which, unlike Sky Sports (which shows the US Open) doesn't have multi-court option. We'll just have to wait and see. We should know by this time tomorrow what court Gilles is on

MsTree
01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Are you in the Republic then Eimear? The BBC will have probably about 5 streams on interactive digital depending what other sports might be on...
Still doesn't help us with Gillou though!

Eimear O'Mahony
01-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Yup I'm in the Republic. I didn't know the BBC would be showing it. Thanks for that little tidbit of info. I'll keep an eye out for that! I know it probably won't help us with Gilles. Maybe we could petition the Aus Open Organisers and say we want him on a televised court. Would that work???

but-it's-ok
01-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Waiting for AO to start...its tedious. I hope I'll have insomnia for next fortnight;):lol:

MsTree
01-18-2009, 08:56 AM
You've obviously all been praying on my behalf to the Weather Gods (like I asked) and this was the view when I looked out this morning :):):)
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/sun.jpg

If it keeps on all day looks like I might be snowed in tomorrow :devil:

Eimear O'Mahony
01-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Oh wow that is an amazing view Lesley! It's absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to see that from my bedroom window. I think we're forecasted for snow on Tuesday. I'm like a little child waiting for the Australian Open. It will be a fortnight of very little sleep for me. The price we pay to be tennis addicts eh? *LOL* Fingers crossed for Gilles being on a show court when Tuesdays OOP is released

Truc
01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Nestor & Zimonjic [CAN/SRB, 1] vs. Chardy & Simon [FRA]

Eimear O'Mahony
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh cool I didn't realise Gilles was playing doubles. I was looking up the tournament website and it said he was only registered for Mens Singles so that's a nice surprise. It'll be a tough match though against the top seeds. They're a pretty good doubles combo

turtle-rn
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Nestor & Zimonjic [CAN/SRB, 1] vs. Chardy & Simon [FRA]
Lucky draw! the doubles tourney won't consume a great deal of his time and energy! :lol:

Truc
01-18-2009, 11:09 AM
It was planned, Eimear, Jérémy already said last year they'd like to play doubles together more often in 2009 and they would team up for the AO. They seem to get along well, Jim regularly mentions Gilles in interviews. (In the Canal video, Gilles also jokes with him during the bike ride and says they should go and work on their interceptions in doubles.)

Gilles is hopeless in doubles, though, it's just to practice his volley - and Forget asked him to play more doubles this year.

Eimear O'Mahony
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
God love him he's not the most natural volleyer in the world. He's not the worst either though but I can see why he needs to work on it and play a bit more doubles. It's a shame the doubles isn't televised though because I quite like watching doubles (and even more so if Gilles is playing!)

Scotso
01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I love the Jeremy/Gilles team. :hearts: :drool:

MsTree
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Chardy is pretty cute :hearts:! Not a patch on Gillou though :inlove:

but-it's-ok
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Gilles and Jeremy,cute pair indeed:drool: Try and enjoy the experience of playing the best combo in the world if you can guys;)

Truc
01-19-2009, 05:10 AM
There is an audio interview on the FFT website, but he doesn't say anything special:
http://www.fft.fr/open-australie/2009/?id=4509
He explains again why he could afford to "experiment" in Sydney, he talks of the new points system too, 250 tournaments are not so important. But now it's "back to how I know to play". He's aware he won't change his game in 1 month anyway.
He seems to know Andujar well, calls him Pablo, talks about his game (very solid from the baseline, so it's a good first-round opponent for him because it will allow him to play long rallies and settle down his game), but he doesn't sound overconfident and says he's going to play the match "as if it were a final".
There is some apprehension, of course. He never hides his feelings, so he won't deny it.

He has a new column in L'Equipe, it looks like he will regularly "blog" about the life on the tour! They don't say how often he will write.

Truc
01-19-2009, 05:52 AM
There also is a little article in Le Parisien:Simon veut briller en Grand Chelem

« C’EST MARRANT, vous ne m’avez pas parlé du blocage psychologique… » Un grand sourire barre le visage de Gilles Simon. Hier après-midi, au cours d’un point presse organisé avec les journalistes français, le numéro 7 mondial s’est souvent montré plein d’humour. Effectivement, à deux jours de son entrée dans le tournoi contre l’Espagnol Pablo Andujar, il n’a pour une fois pas été question de son impossibilité à atteindre jusqu’à présent le moindre huitième de finale d’un tournoi du Grand Chelem.
« Je ne peux pas me contenter de dire que l’objectif est d’arriver en huitièmes »
Il faut dire qu’après une saison 2008 au cours de laquelle il aura battu Nadal, Federer et Djokovic, le natif de Nice (24 ans) peut s’autoriser à aborder ce genre de rendez-vous différemment. « Je ne peux pas me contenter de dire que l’objectif est d’arriver en huitièmes », lâche-t-il simplement. Plus largement, Simon n’hésite pas à faire de cet Open d’Australie « un des objectifs majeurs de la saison ». « Si vous décidez de faire la même chose que l’année précédente (NDLR : finir dans les dix premiers mondiaux), vous ne pouvez pas avancer, argumente-t-il. Moi, j’ai pour objectif de faire mieux.Mais ce n’est pas en gagnant des 250 (NDLR : tournois qui ne rapportent que 250 points ATP) que je vais progresser. Donc l’objectif cette saison c’est les Grands Chelems. Je n’ai pas trois mille solutions. »
Pour cela, il faudra commencer par battre l’Espagnol Pablo Andujar (98e mondial) au cours d’un match que Simon aborde « comme une finale parce qu’au premier tour on peut se faire surprendre ». Quant à la question de savoir si sa nouvelle position dans la hiérarchie change quelque chose à son quotidien, il y répond toujours en souriant : « On me demande comment je vais avant mon premier tour. L’an dernier, on neme l’avait pas fait ! Donc, oui, il y a du changement ! » He first jokes at the end of the press conference that there were no questions about his "mental block" in Slams. The author says that after his 2008 season he can go into this event with a different state of mind indeed. "I can't content myself with saying the goal is to reach the 4th round". He makes no secret of the Australian Open being "one of his main goals this season". Always the same stuff, he needs to have bigger goals than last year to improve, so there aren't many options for him, focussing on 250 events won't bring him further, the goal for 2009 is to do well in Slams. And when he's asked if his daily life is different now: "People ask how I feel before the start of the tournament. Last year nobody asked. So yes, it's different!"

turtle-rn
01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
"I can't content myself with saying the goal is to reach the 4th round".
huhu. As the 6th seed, he is supposed to reach the QF! :o

Glad the whole thing has finally started; many good news so far : Cornetto, Baggy & Wawra won their matches. :D

MsTree
01-19-2009, 06:25 AM
And when he's asked if his daily life is different now: "People ask how I feel before the start of the tournament. Last year nobody asked. So yes, it's different!"
:lol: Don't you just love him :inlove: He's quite the comedian! :D

turtle-rn
01-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Schedule of Play for tomorrow is out :
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/schedule7.html

Gilles will be playing on the Hisense Arena, second match of the day session on that court. :D

Eimear O'Mahony
01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Looks like we might get a glimpse of Gilles because I reckon Eurosport will switch over the the Hisense Arena after the Murray match which is first up on Rod Laver. Even if we get a game or two before Serena Williams comes out we'll definitely get to see a little bit of his match which is excellent news. I'm delighted he's going to be on the second biggest court. Good luck Gilles!!!

Truc
01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Some more articles about his press conference yesterday:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/20090119_125259_simon-ne-se-cache-pas.html
http://www.welovetennis.fr/interviews/9918-gilles-simon-j-aborde-le-premier-match-comme-une-finale
Having beaten the best players last year is encouraging, but he beat them in 3 sets matches and Slams are a different story. It's another level of difficulty here.
He isn't bothered by his defeats in the preparatory events, he wanted to do certain things in those matches and he did it, so it didn't affect his confidence.
The idea is not to be more offensive when he's playing well, because he already can do that. It's to be more offensive when he's not playing well too. Fed can make 40 UE in a match, but his FH will work when it matters because he feels confident in his offensive game. Not Gilles who feels confident in his defensive game in key moments.
He's training once a day instead of the usual two training sessions, but longer (3 hours) to be physically ready. But he always feels fit enough before a Slam anyway, that's not the reason why he didn't go further in Slams last year.
He sounds very careful before his first round, no risk he will underestimate Pablo imo.

gambit84
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Tomorrow starts this new year for real. This first match seems really easy and probably is so but it's not that match and stop, it's something more. Last year was totally amazing and only Gillu and his really close fans could believe in what happened, but it happened for sure and was just like a beautiful fairy tale, and not because he did not deserve what happened, absolutely no, just because everyone of us know he grew up late like tennis player and maybe was the one who found more difficulties on his way among the french player of that age. But he's the first fan of himself and with braveness and self confidence, with his harmonic an natural tennis first of all he reached those results.
This is the year of confirmation, he's not the guest star, the guy went there just for some random strange reason, not anymore. The flashlights are on him as well, people want something, wanna see him winning matches and demonstrating something. He has nothing to demonstrate, he did not steal anything last year, just gained what he won, but of course he will have pressure on his shoulder and support of his real fans it's something he really needs imo.
We don't care what will happen this year, just a biiiig good luck for this AO and for the whole season little Gilles

c'mon, you rock :rocker2:

Eimear O'Mahony
01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the articles Fran. Sounds like he's really well prepared. Only a few more hours to go. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll be straight sets but given Gilles' tendency to lose concentration it wouldn't surprise me if it went to 4

MsTree
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Oooh I can't wait! I'm off to bed, see you guys later! :)

Ivanatis
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
allez Gilles :music:

bonne chance contre Andujar:D

MsTree
01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
This stream looks like it will show Gillou (hopefully!) in case anyone's struggling :)
http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-2481.html

He's in all white, hair and stubble just perfection :inlove:

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 01:34 AM
yup it will. i am loving these streams without commentaries. :)

MsTree
01-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Actually I'm so up for this I'm finding the umpire quite attractive too :devil:

Way to go Gilles! Starts with an ace! :)
No other 1st serves in though :( 1st DF :o
Still wins the game though! :)

1-0

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 01:45 AM
opens up with an ace...good sign

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
carlos is adorable in his own ways. especially when he starts speaking in spanish and tell all the crazy fans in miami to shut up. but i don't think he's eye candy. :)

MsTree
01-20-2009, 01:55 AM
He's well cute when he smiles :) I think I'm maybe a bit older than you though... :lol:

Going with serve 2-1 Nice volley to take that game :)
A load of errors from Gillou 2-2
I'm dreading seeing his 1st serve stats, can't be more than 10% :eek:
Still going with serve though 3-2 :)
Checked his 1st serve stats, 24% :lol:

*MJP*
01-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Allez Gilles! You can do it! lol

MsTree
01-20-2009, 02:12 AM
That was a more interesting game!
5 deuces & 1 BP on Andujar's serve
what a BH down the line to get the 5th deuce! :worship:
Finally he holds on 3-3 :(
Gillou's not helping himself here, 2BPs against him :o
saves one with a nice crosscourt pass, gets it back to deuce and manages to get a 1st serve in to take the game 4-3
Still on 24% 1st serves in, that ONE PER GAME!!!! :eek:

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 02:13 AM
ewwww...too many UEs. Let's go Gilles.

MsTree
01-20-2009, 02:21 AM
2 BPs here though - his netplay has been not bad so far but he wasn't quick enough for that one
Fantastic CC pass to break him though :) 5-3 and serving for the set :)

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 02:21 AM
He's well cute when he smiles :) I think I'm maybe a bit older than you though... :lol:

I am 26. I acknowledge mature sexiness when I see it. :lol: I rather look at pablo and gilles.

great passing shot! serving for first set.

Brownie
01-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Hi Gillou friends:)

I just realized Gilles' match already started:p Looks like he's doing well so far...

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 02:27 AM
he's making it hard for himself. now we are back on serve. :ras:

MsTree
01-20-2009, 02:29 AM
I am 26. I acknowledge mature sexiness when I see it. :lol: I rather look at pablo and gilles.
Yes, as I thought :devil:

Terrible service game from Gillou,
2 mishits :eek: and a heap more errors
Andujar breaks back 5-4 :mad:

Cmon Gilles! 2 SPs!!!
Jeez what shots the pair of them are coming out with! deuce
Gillou said a naughty word on court... :lol: twice!
Another SP! Saved
Fantastic volley Gilles! :) Another SP! Given away :(
Another SP and FINALLY he takes the set 6-4 :)
And he managed to drag his 1st serve stats up to 33% :lol:

Hi Lauren!

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 02:36 AM
take this set for god sake

how many more chances do you need?

6-4 :rocker2:

carlos looks like he would be a great father. :) he's a very warm looking person.

Brownie
01-20-2009, 02:40 AM
First set:yeah:

ooooo, that first serve %:tape:

MsTree
01-20-2009, 02:45 AM
What happened there? I blinked and he'd lost his service game :o

Tutu
01-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Omg, Gilles you suck. :tape: ALLEZ. Gonna sleep for like an hour. :wavey:

MsTree
01-20-2009, 02:49 AM
:lol: Tutu He's not been playing that badly :)
His volleying is improving if nothing else :)
At least he's broken back 1-1

*MJP*
01-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Hey guys :wavey: I just finished watching Richards epic match! Hows Gillou going? I see he's winning

MsTree
01-20-2009, 02:54 AM
His 1st serve is dreadful (he has just chalked up another ace) but apart from that, not too shabby :)
He won that game with style though :) 2-1

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 02:55 AM
what a forehand. leading once more! allez

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:01 AM
He's getting into his stride now! :) Those BHs down the line :hearts:
Beautiful lob, breaks Pablo 3-1 :)
Wow he got 3 1st serves in in that game! 4-1 :D

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Hi people!
does his hair look great! :D
break 3-1!

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:05 AM
4-1! he's back to his own self, playing 2 meters behind the baseline but he gets the job done. :]
his second serve though.. in the 120-130 km/h range. :(

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:05 AM
Bit late for that since I've been doing livescoring here! :lol:
You can blame me if you get into trouble Alli! :devil:

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:07 AM
I feel like I'll get in trouble posting over here ;) :p
Trouble is fun! :devil:

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:08 AM
It's got to that stage in the match where I just want to watch and drool :drool:

Masterful :worship: 5-1 :D

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:09 AM
5-1! allez! close it now Gillou!

*MJP*
01-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Wow :) Gilles is playing really well! The cool change has arrived in Melb, dropped from 40 degrees down to 28 i tgink they just said! Good news for the players.

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Hey everyone :wavey: Wanna join me on the livescoring thread :hug: ? I feel like I'll get in trouble posting over here ;) :p

haha i totally forgot we have a livescoring thread. but why change what has been working. Gilles is winning. (I am superstitious. :o)

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:12 AM
DF on set point! :(

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:13 AM
6-4 6-1!! :d

*MJP*
01-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Well Gilles is off and running with this match :worship: Great to see. Keep it up!

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:14 AM
SP but DFs it :lol:
Takes the set at the 2nd try :D
1st serve stats up to 41% (according to the IBM scoretracker, the livestream stats were different and impossibly high imo

Puschkin
01-20-2009, 03:16 AM
Looks good for Gilles, keep it up!

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:16 AM
The cool change has arrived in Melb, dropped from 40 degrees down to 28 i tgink they just said! Good news for the players.
great news!! he won't be sweating too much on the pictures! :D

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Go and stick "livescoring" somewhere in the title of your thread Nat to make Alli happy :)
he won't be sweating too much on the pictures! :D

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:18 AM
Gillou : "arrête de jouer à l'envers putain!" haha!

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Go and stick "livescoring" somewhere in the title of your thread Nat to make Alli happy :)
Yes m'dame!!

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Well you've made me feel guilty now as I started it :lol:

Just loving watching this, he looks great, he's playing great and he even managed a smile :) Worth getting up at stupid o'clock for :)

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:28 AM
wow! that sliced winning forehand! o_o

HoistDaColors
01-20-2009, 03:28 AM
i know this is not a high quality match but some of gilles shots are awesome. If I ever were to make a video of gilles tennis, I would download this match.

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Wow :inlove:

*MJP*
01-20-2009, 03:30 AM
This is all 1 way traffic at the moment!

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:31 AM
He's on a roll! :D 6-4 6-1 4-1 allezzzz!!

*MJP*
01-20-2009, 03:32 AM
great news!! he won't be sweating too much on the pictures! :D

:haha: That is a very good point my friend! We dont want too much sweat;)

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:33 AM
If I ever were to make a video of gilles tennis, I would download this match.
Don't worry it will be available :) One way or another :)

more masterful dominance from Gillou :hearts: 4-1 :)

Finally another ace! 5-1 :)

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:38 AM
At last ! 5-1! :mad:

*MJP*
:woohoo: 5-1

Brownie
that game was a little longer than it had to be:lol:

Just one more game! Allez Gilles!

turtle-rn
01-20-2009, 03:41 AM
MP !! allezz one more!

MsTree
01-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Allez!
Matchpoint! :)

WD Gilles! 8 aces and 3 DFs
He dragged his 1st serve % up to 47% in the end.
Good workout. Bring on Thursday! Allez!!!! :D