Locked Hahaha threads. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Locked Hahaha threads.

BigJohn
01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
So will the threads where we laugh when a top player lose be unlocked?

There was no real harm in them, pretty funny and I believe the locking of these threads actually rewards those who were causing problem in them in the first place.

In a way, this is giving in to terrorism. It would be a lot more work, but a lot more fair to give red cards to those who go in these threads to be disruptive.

scarecrows
01-07-2009, 08:08 PM
i came to post exactly the same thread

bring them back pretty please

Nathaliia
01-08-2009, 12:10 AM
For RagingMod it is a too big problem to jump over.

tangerine_dream
01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Can I start a roasting thread for Murray in GM when he loses? I've picked out the perfect thread title. Please, huh, please???

El Legenda
01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Can I start a roasting thread for Murray in GM when he loses? I've picked out the perfect thread title. Please, huh, please???

:rolleyes:

scoobs
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
It's been decided that the Hahaha threads, and any along the same lines, both old and any newly created, will be closed.

The reasoning behind this is that, while in some cases, they operate in a humorous and issue-free manner, in other cases the tone of posting from both the roaster and fan perspective is much more antagonistic and leads to far too much bad feeling. Since it would be unfair to introduce a double standard and say that some players can have roasting threads and others can't, the decision has been made to close them all.

I realise this decision will not find much popularity in some quarters, but hopefully it will also remove some of the unnecessary baiting and provocation that goes on in GM.

elessar
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I think it'll just move them to the match threads, but maybe that's just me.

Nathaliia
01-08-2009, 11:20 PM
This is what will happen, Claire, but in the match threads it will be less funny, because some random fans who open the match threads, will treat it too seriously.

Castafiore
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I think it'll just move them to the match threads, but maybe that's just me.
Exactly and this will be even more antagonistic.

It's a dumb move IMO. :shrug:
You're not really expecting the haha celebrations to stop, are you? It's better to try and keep that all contained to one thread instead of polluting the match threads,... with it.

Nathaliia
01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Now I am going to ask *seriously*, are you mods power hungry these days? Why someone deleted a thread where a poster asked about tournament facilities in a tournament forum? Look to what patologies it leads (thread title I mean; very unnecessary havoc created). Following this way of thinking my old thread "How do I get from Arlanda Airport to the centre of Stockholm" would be also deleted. IMO people who attend events are allowed to know such information on a fooking TENNIS FORUM.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135858

rocketassist
01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
It's been decided that the Hahaha threads, and any along the same lines, both old and any newly created, will be closed.

The reasoning behind this is that, while in some cases, they operate in a humorous and issue-free manner, in other cases the tone of posting from both the roaster and fan perspective is much more antagonistic and leads to far too much bad feeling. Since it would be unfair to introduce a double standard and say that some players can have roasting threads and others can't, the decision has been made to close them all.

I realise this decision will not find much popularity in some quarters, but hopefully it will also remove some of the unnecessary baiting and provocation that goes on in GM.

That only happens with the Fakertards over his roasting thread. Their whining has ruined everyone's fun.

SloKid
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Now I am going to ask *seriously*, are you mods power hungry these days? Why someone deleted a thread where a poster asked about tournament facilities in a tournament forum? Look to what patologies it leads (thread title I mean; very unnecessary havoc created). Following this way of thinking my old thread "How do I get from Arlanda Airport to the centre of Stockholm" would be also deleted. IMO people who attend events are allowed to know such information on a fooking TENNIS FORUM.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135858
I checked and the thread was not deleted, it was merged with the Who's going thread, which makes sense I guess, but perhaps a redirect should have been left for the original thread, they are there for a reason.

Thanos
01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
can you please unlock the goat cheese thread??

scoobs
01-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Sorry, no - that's one of the ones staying closed.

cobalt60
01-10-2009, 02:19 PM
It appears that a lot of posters could not police themselves and show restraint. Which is too bad because on the whole those were fun threads.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
you know how it is, a few bad apples spoil the bunch

cobalt60
01-10-2009, 09:46 PM

:o Donny Osmond right? :singer: Do I get a prize? :lol: ;)

Lee
01-10-2009, 09:48 PM
:o Donny Osmond right? :singer: Do I get a prize? :lol: ;)

The prize is a bag of bad apple :angel:

cobalt60
01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
The prize is a bag of bad apple :angel:

no thanks; those types I do not want or have a need for :p

Deboogle!.
01-12-2009, 05:32 AM
:lol:

cobalt60
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
And.................would you believe that the Jackson 5 were the first to record it? Their dad wrote it with someone else;)
Ah I am just full of little trivia bits that are so useful. On a tennis board :lol:

Action Jackson
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Tito was the only talent in the Jackson 5.

As for the threads, well the baiting will still continue.

Lee
01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Action Jackson bandwidth exceeded. What a shame! :p

«Ivan»
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM

i don't know how it is.
can i guess?bad apples made in serbia?
imac 'n her tales(with deputy elessar)destroyed all the fun but i dare someone else to say the same.

oh,must be ljubica's ('n great people around her) fault?

BigJohn
01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Well this longstanding MTF tradition has been shut down because of whose fan base causing problems in what thread exactly?

elessar
01-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Nolefans in the haha threads.

If the roasting threads can't stay open, could you at least unlock the ego thread, it'd be nice not to have a new thread on GM everytime Roger opens his mouth

GlennMirnyi
01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Fakervicfans had to ruin it all.

Thanos
01-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Fakervicfans had to ruin it all.

negative its the fedtrolls. everyone knows that

JolánGagó
02-03-2009, 04:11 PM
The reasoning behind this is that, while in some cases, they operate in a humorous and issue-free manner, in other cases the tone of posting from both the roaster and fan perspective is much more antagonistic and leads to far too much bad feeling.

:haha:

sometimes I wonder have I just been thrown back in time to kindergarten :rolleyes:

so ridiculous it's hard to believe.

tennizen
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Farenhajt and Bascule must be laughing so much right now. They were the founders of the noletroll whiners association inc.

GM is such a harmonious place now that those threads are deleted. There is no bitterness, bile and people are policing themselves and behaving in a upright manner as befits the law-abiding citizens of the Internet world. If we are to quantify the success of this decision in reducing bitterness on GM, I would rate the success rate as 200%. Vamos Mods!!. You deserve a pat on the back and you can go back to taking another year of rest.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Farenhajt and Bascule must be laughing so much right now. They were the founders of the noletroll whiners association inc.

GM is such a harmonious place now that those threads are deleted. There is no bitterness, bile and people are policing themselves and behaving in a upright manner as befits the law-abiding citizens of the Internet world. If we are to quantify the success of this decision in reducing bitterness on GM, I would rate the success rate as 200%. Vamos Mods!!. You deserve a pat on the back and you can go back to taking another year of rest.And do you think sarcastic comments like this really help? If you have a suggestion of how GM can be improved that you think is so much superior to what has been tried, why don't you make the suggestion instead of just adding to the cattiness?

tennizen
02-03-2009, 08:40 PM
And do you think sarcastic comments like this really help? If you have a suggestion of how GM can be improved that you think is so much superior to what has been tried, why don't you make the suggestion instead of just adding to the cattiness?

I don't think GM needs to be improved in any way. It was fine the way it was before this new set of GM rules came about and mods started feeling the need to clamp down on things. It's a sports related website and people belonging to different fanbases are bound to clash and that's how it should be. The only reason mods are required is to police personal insults or racist remarks or things of that nature. Any moderating beyond that is absolutely unnecessary. The locking down of the haha threads is one of the stupidest decisions ever taken by MTF mods.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
The problem is that all of these things devolve into personal insults. I don't personally agree with every single rule but I do whole-heartedly agree with clamping down on people who have so much hatred for a particular player or his fanbase that they need to insult people or groups of people for it - it blatantly makes GM a really unhappy place to be and I don't really think the vast majority of us want that. I don't like Roger, Rafa, OR Novak, but I'd never go into a thread and insult any of their fans. Some people can't seem to just live and let live, and instead of blaming the mods for ruining your fun, why not blame the few people who drove us to certain decisions?

It's not as if they were taken lightly and it's not as if it was just a couple people who made the decisions. If you haven't realized, the mods ourselves are a very diverse group who support many different players and dislike many other players. We try our hardest to be objective and try to make MTF enjoyable for EVERYONE and in my opinion it's simply unacceptable if a group of fans feel they have to stay out of GM because they personally get attacked for supporting a particular player. You are free to disagree of course, but the decision has been made, so it would be nice instead of just spewing sarcasm, if you guys could instead accept the decision and offer us ways to moderate less but still make the place enjoyable for all. You can't deny that match result threads involving certain players were nearly intolerable before these threads were shut down, and now they are still nearly intolerable. Granted I don't read every thread on GM every day, but I haven't noticed much of a difference in GM since those threads were shit - it was a pretty nasty place before and it's still a pretty nasty place. And the mods have nothing to do with the nastiness, you have to blame some of your fellow posters for that. But just saying you think GM is fine the way it is doesn't help us at all - it's already been determined that it's NOT fine, so why not try to help instead?

tennizen
02-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I am sorry but I don't agree with any of your fundamental assumptions. If a fan cannot tolerate criticism of his favorite player, its his/her problem. The rest of us should not have to adjust because of it.

The problem is not with GM but with people as a whole. And you are not going to change that by implementing stupid rules which force people to rebel more.

I will not accept any decision which I feel will not solve the "perceived problem" but is just a way for the mods to feel that they have some sort of control or hand in issues that they really don't have.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I am sorry but I don't agree with any of your fundamental assumptions. If a fan cannot tolerate criticism of his favorite player, its his/her problem. The rest of us should not have to adjust because of it. You're incorrect here. The problem is not about people tolerating criticism of their PLAYER. the problem is people being criticized PERSONALLY because they support the player.

The problem is not with GM but with people as a whole. And you are not going to change that by implementing stupid rules which force people to rebel more.

I will not accept any decision which I feel will not solve the "perceived problem" but is just a way for the mods to feel that they have some sort of control or hand in issues that they really don't have.I cannot speak for the rest of the mods, but this is a private message board. We are not trying to fix people as a whole. Our job is to make sure MTF runs smoothly and that it is an enjoyable place. It is not our problem if people are too immature to be respectful to other people. No one's requiring that people must be nice and fuzzy and warm all the time, but a mere modicum of respect is not that hard, and you are forgetting that the loudest and most problematic people here are people who are doing this on purpose to get a rise out of people. The fact that any small amount of moderation makes them want to just rebel more reflects upon them, not the moderators.

And if you think any of the mods actually enjoy spending wasting our time dealing with this crap, you really are mistaken. I would bet my life that all of the mods would like nothing more than for people to just act politely to other people so that we never had to do anything. That'd get rid of 99% of the issues on this board, but they are unwilling to do so, they insist upon acting like children, so the decision has been made that the mods will try to step in. Again, there are no rights to free speech here, it is a privately-owned board. If you don't like the decisions that have been made, that is of course your right, but although the rules may have gotten stricter in the past couple years and we may have more mods now, but MTF has never been a free-for-all. And I think the mods simply giving in to a few loudmouths who cause trouble then whine like 5 year olds whose mom took their lollipop would set a very bad precedent and make any moderating at all here nearly impossible. We can't possibly just cave to anyone who complains.

And again, you can feel free to disagree, but the fact remains that these threads were left open - in some cases - for years, without really much incident at all. They weren't closed because the rules changed, they were closed because a few people were incapable of abiding by them. Putting all the blame on oversensitive mods or stricter rules is, IMO, unfair and one-sided. We don't close threads just b/c we don't like them. I've left a few threads open in the Andy forum that I absolutely despise, because it's not about me personally, it's about the forum, and if the threads don't break the rules then I can't and don't close them. The same goes for GM, I am sure of that, that's why the threads were left open for so long until circumstances became such that people were merely posting to disrupt the forum (Which has always been against MTF's rules). To completely ignore the fact that some people go too far and that a few bad apples spoiled it for the rest of us is really unfair to the mods - nothing is ever a one-way street. We really want this place to be enjoyable for all, we don't get paid, we get nothing at all in return actually, the only reason why we bother is because we love tennis and we love MTF and the people we've been lucky enough to meet here and we want everyone to enjoy it. And I find it ironic (not talking to you tennizen) that the loudest complainers here are often the most problematic posters in GM. If they spent even 10% of the time they spend whining just simply ignoring players/results they don't like or putting other posters on their ignore list, there would be significantly less moderation and there would be nothing for them to even complain about. What a shocking concept.

TMJordan
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I blame Scoobs.

tennizen
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
You're incorrect here. The problem is not about people tolerating criticism of their PLAYER. the problem is people being criticized PERSONALLY because they support the player.

I spend a lot of time on MTF and such incidents are very very rare. They should be addressed in isolation.

The fact that any small amount of moderation makes them want to just rebel more reflects upon them, not the moderators.

It's not just moderation but arbitrary moderation that I mean.

And if you think any of the mods actually enjoy spending wasting our time dealing with this crap, you really are mistaken.

If you don't enjoy it, resign and quit.

And I think the mods simply giving in to a few loudmouths who cause trouble then whine like 5 year olds whose mom took their lollipop would set a very bad precedent and make any moderating at all here nearly impossible. We can't possibly just cave to anyone who complains.

I think this is exactly what the mods did. The roasting threads were here for years without anyone complaining. A few people moaned about the players being insulted and lo and behold the mods caved in and closed down the threads.

We really want this place to be enjoyable for all, we don't get paid, we get nothing at all in return actually, the only reason why we bother is because we love tennis and we love MTF and the people we've been lucky enough to meet here and we want everyone to enjoy it.

You get a lot of power in return so saying you get nothing in return is not correct. I do understand that moderating is difficult but don't make yourselves martyrs.

And I find it ironic (not talking to you tennizen) that the loudest complainers here are often the most problematic posters in GM. If they spent even 10% of the time they spend whining just simply ignoring players/results they don't like or putting other posters on their ignore list, there would be significantly less moderation and there would be nothing for them to even complain about. What a shocking concept.

And there could be no wars in this world. And all people would live harmoniously respecting each other and there would be no killing. Into that heaven of freedom let MTF awake:shrug:

scoobs
02-03-2009, 09:57 PM
You're incorrect here. The problem is not about people tolerating criticism of their PLAYER. the problem is people being criticized PERSONALLY because they support the player.

I cannot speak for the rest of the mods, but this is a private message board. We are not trying to fix people as a whole. Our job is to make sure MTF runs smoothly and that it is an enjoyable place. It is not our problem if people are too immature to be respectful to other people. No one's requiring that people must be nice and fuzzy and warm all the time, but a mere modicum of respect is not that hard, and you are forgetting that the loudest and most problematic people here are people who are doing this on purpose to get a rise out of people. The fact that any small amount of moderation makes them want to just rebel more reflects upon them, not the moderators.

And if you think any of the mods actually enjoy spending wasting our time dealing with this crap, you really are mistaken. I would bet my life that all of the mods would like nothing more than for people to just act politely to other people so that we never had to do anything. That'd get rid of 99% of the issues on this board, but they are unwilling to do so, they insist upon acting like children, so the decision has been made that the mods will try to step in. Again, there are no rights to free speech here, it is a privately-owned board. If you don't like the decisions that have been made, that is of course your right, but although the rules may have gotten stricter in the past couple years and we may have more mods now, but MTF has never been a free-for-all. And I think the mods simply giving in to a few loudmouths who cause trouble then whine like 5 year olds whose mom took their lollipop would set a very bad precedent and make any moderating at all here nearly impossible. We can't possibly just cave to anyone who complains.

And again, you can feel free to disagree, but the fact remains that these threads were left open - in some cases - for years, without really much incident at all. They weren't closed because the rules changed, they were closed because a few people were incapable of abiding by them. Putting all the blame on oversensitive mods or stricter rules is, IMO, unfair and one-sided. We don't close threads just b/c we don't like them. I've left a few threads open in the Andy forum that I absolutely despise, because it's not about me personally, it's about the forum, and if the threads don't break the rules then I can't and don't close them. The same goes for GM, I am sure of that, that's why the threads were left open for so long until circumstances became such that people were merely posting to disrupt the forum (Which has always been against MTF's rules). To completely ignore the fact that some people go too far and that a few bad apples spoiled it for the rest of us is really unfair to the mods - nothing is ever a one-way street. We really want this place to be enjoyable for all, we don't get paid, we get nothing at all in return actually, the only reason why we bother is because we love tennis and we love MTF and the people we've been lucky enough to meet here and we want everyone to enjoy it. And I find it ironic (not talking to you tennizen) that the loudest complainers here are often the most problematic posters in GM. If they spent even 10% of the time they spend whining just simply ignoring players/results they don't like or putting other posters on their ignore list, there would be significantly less moderation and there would be nothing for them to even complain about. What a shocking concept.

Amen. I would also add that leaving GM alone apart from moderating gross violations would just turn the place right over to the flamebaiters, the trolls, the incessant whiners, the posters who just love to cause trouble and find a tennis site a convenient forum in which to do so. What tennis discussion that does happen in GM, and it's still less than I'd like on a personal level, would completely evaporate, the posters that make this site worth coming back to, and there are some, would vanish, and GM would just become utterly vile. For me, this is a tennis forum - I don't see why mindless aggro between rival fangroups has to be accepted - no they wouldn't agree on much but that doesn't mean GM should become an online Thunderdome. I've been on forums like that in the past and it's deeply unpleasant if you actually want to discuss the subject the forum is about and not just spend your time abusing other people.

I don't know what else to say - I think on the whole the mods and admins that cover GM are roughly in agreement that more clearly defining the forum rules and enforcing them more rigourously has been a good thing for GM. Certainly for me I think there's been less mindless flamebaiting and I can see some posters clearly thinking a bit more carefully about what and how they post now they've seen some people have been thrown off the site temporarily and permanently for disregarding the rules. For me this is a good thing. Is GM now perfect? Very far from it. Will it ever be? No. But for me that's no reason not to try to enforce a minimum standard of decency and respect in there.

I blame Scoobs.

I don't know if you are joking, or genuinely have some problem with me. I don't much care either way but it would be good to know.

TMJordan
02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I kid I kid. I joke I joke.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
i don't know how it is.
can i guess?bad apples made in serbia?
imac 'n her tales(with deputy elessar)destroyed all the fun but i dare someone else to say the same.

oh,must be ljubica's ('n great people around her) fault?

When is chooperdoo going to get banned for his constant attacks on me?

tennizen
02-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know what else to say - I think on the whole the mods and admins that cover GM are roughly in agreement that more clearly defining the forum rules and enforcing them more rigourously has been a good thing for GM. Certainly for me I think there's been less mindless flamebaiting and I can see some posters clearly thinking a bit more carefully about what and how they post now they've seen some people have been thrown off the site temporarily and permanently for disregarding the rules.

You see what you want to see:shrug:

l_mac
02-03-2009, 10:07 PM
And again, you can feel free to disagree, but the fact remains that these threads were left open - in some cases - for years, without really much incident at all. They weren't closed because the rules changed, they were closed because a few people were incapable of abiding by them.

Yes, the Noletrolls.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Certainly for me I think there's been less mindless flamebaiting and I can see some posters clearly thinking a bit more carefully about what and how they post now they've seen some people have been thrown off the site temporarily and permanently for disregarding the rules.

:rolls:

scoobs
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
You see what you want to see:shrug:
As do you :)

You see "arbitrary decision making" where I see mods looking at the rules, looking at the situation and applying best judgement.

You see "clashes between rival fangroups" which is healthy and fun, I see needless flamebaiting, disrespectful and offensive posting and little tolerance of a shared space.

You see "nothing in GM has changed in spite of the ridiculously excessive moderation that takes place", I see small but welcome changes and a reduction in the amount of posts that I come across that need to be dealt with and a drop in the number of reported posts in big events like slam finals or marquee matches.

Ultimately you and I are on opposite sides of an unbridgeable chasm on this one. I don't see much point in going around in circles making the same points. I'm happier with the way it is going, you're not. That's unlikely to change.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I opened a thread in the blog section of Rafa's forum, away from the rough and tumble of GM, where like minded happy go lucky sorts from various fanbases come together, and it was removed.

:scratch:

Why?

Are we going to enforce GM rules on player forums? If so there are some mightily dubious things posted in various player forum chat threads that I would say warrant closure.

tennizen
02-03-2009, 10:17 PM

You see "arbitrary decision making" where I see mods looking at the rules, looking at the situation and applying best judgement.

You see "clashes between rival fangroups" which is healthy and fun, I see needless flamebaiting, disrespectful and offensive posting and little tolerance of a shared space.

You see "nothing in GM has changed in spite of the ridiculously excessive moderation that takes place", I see small but welcome changes and a reduction in the amount of posts that I come across that need to be dealt with and a drop in the number of reported posts in big events like slam finals or marquee matches.

Ultimately you and I are on opposite sides of an unbridgeable chasm on this one. I don't see much point in going around in circles making the same points. I'm happier with the way it is going, you're not. That's unlikely to change.

True but the only difference being you are the one making/implementing the rules.

So you can delude yourself into thinking that things are going well and the decisions you make work.

scoobs
02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
True but the only difference being you are the one making/implementing the rules.

So you can delude yourself into thinking that things are going well and the decisions you make work.
And you can delude yourself in to thinking they're not :shrug:

tangerine_dream
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Why was the Federer's Tear's Justified thread closed? Can you people at least post a note at the end explaining why you're closing a thread?

scoobs
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I opened a thread in the blog section of Rafa's forum, away from the rough and tumble of GM, where like minded happy go lucky sorts from various fanbases come together, and it was removed.

:scratch:

Why?

Are we going to enforce GM rules on player forums? If so there are some mightily dubious things posted in various player forum chat threads that I would say warrant closure.
Might want to send that one on directly to the admins via PM or start a new thread.

Rafa's forum has no mods so only the admins can make changes there I believe.

Lee
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I happen to see the same way as scoobs.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Might want to send that one on directly to the admins via PM or start a new thread.

Rafa's forum has no mods so only the admins can make changes there I believe.

Yes, that is true.

I didn't get a PM or any explanation about it :sad: :awww:

scoobs
02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Why was the Federer's Tear's Justified thread closed? Can you people at least post a note at the end explaining why you're closing a thread?
Because I've read through it and it's the same discussion going around and around again - I didn't feel like it was generating useful discussion anymore yet it's at nearly 400 posts and counting.

MisterQ
02-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Because I've read through it and it's the same discussion going around and around again - I didn't feel like it was generating useful discussion anymore yet it's at nearly 400 posts and counting.

With all due respect (and I have much of it for you :worship: ), I see no reason to close threads simply because they are redundant. I found it interesting to get a sampling of people's views on that subject. And if generating "useful" discussion is a criterion, we might as well shut down 98% of the board. :lol:

Just my thoughts... quite a few times I've dawdled in contributing to a thread, finally decided to post, and been frustrated to find it closed.

I know I'm more laissez-faire on this issue than most of the mods, but that's OK. I appreciate the work you all do. If there are not significant personal attacks, though, I'd prefer things be left alone in general.

tennizen
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM

You have repeatedly stated that your style of moderation is to respond to reported posts. If you are not proactive but reactive about moderating in GM, then I am sorry but that becomes "arbitrary decision making" whether you intend it or not.

For example, I find nothing wrong with any of the threads in GM by themselves. So I will not report anything. Some sensitive soul on the other hand sees the F word being used in one of the threads and reports it. You will take action on the reported thread and will leave alone a host of other similar threads because they are not reported. In this way you are catering to the whims of those few sensitive souls.

And if you ask us to report more, you are asking us to self-moderate in which case you role essentially is to use a button for deletion of posts which is completely superfluous and unnecessary.

So I am not being deluded when I say arbitrary decision making.

Secondly if you are too busy( and this I mean all the mods) to check all the threads then I really think you should give it to someone else who has the time. Here you are saying you want to ensure a degree of respectability to GM and you do not want to spend adequate time and effort on the issue.

tangerine_dream
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
May as well close down all of GM then.

Closing threads because you find them boring is not proper moderating.

scoobs
02-04-2009, 09:02 PM
You have repeatedly stated that your style of moderation is to respond to reported posts. If you are not proactive but reactive about moderating in GM, then I am sorry but that becomes "arbitrary decision making" whether you intend it or not.

For example, I find nothing wrong with any of the threads in GM by themselves. So I will not report anything. Some sensitive soul on the other hand sees the F word being used in one of the threads and reports it. You will take action on the reported thread and will leave alone a host of other similar threads because they are not reported. In this way you are catering to the whims of those few sensitive souls.

And if you ask us to report more, you are asking us to self-moderate in which case you role essentially is to use a button for deletion of posts which is completely superfluous and unnecessary.

So I am not being deluded when I say arbitrary decision making.

Secondly if you are too busy( and this I mean all the mods) to check all the threads then I really think you should give it to someone else who has the time. Here you are saying you want to ensure a degree of respectability to GM and you do not want to spend adequate time and effort on the issue.
My style of moderation is to respond primarily to reported posts and otherwise to spend time posting and reading GM when I can, but I can't exactly guarantee I can keep on top of every thread 24 hours a day, neither can none of my fellow mods, and, realistically, neither could ANY mod unless it was their full time paid employment, and so the reporting system HAS to be the primary method of handling issues that arise. So you may argue that the reporting or spotting of issues in GM is arbitrary, but again I will say that if more people took the trouble to report things then more issues would get picked up earlier. But once the issue is one that we become aware of, we try to deal with them as consistently as we can given the day to day realities. If that's not good enough for people then there's not much I can do about that - it's the way it is.

scoobs
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanks for your opinion - there is a clause in the rules about threads that may be closed if the mod feels they are not generating useful discussion any longer, so if and when that seems appropriate, it's what we can do if there seems like reasonable cause.

TMJordan
02-04-2009, 09:20 PM

:worship:

tennizen
02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
My style of moderation is to respond primarily to reported posts and otherwise to spend time posting and reading GM when I can, but I can't exactly guarantee I can keep on top of every thread 24 hours a day, neither can none of my fellow mods, and, realistically, neither could ANY mod unless it was their full time paid employment, and so the reporting system HAS to be the primary method of handling issues that arise. So you may argue that the reporting or spotting of issues in GM is arbitrary, but again I will say that if more people took the trouble to report things then more issues would get picked up earlier. But once the issue is one that we become aware of, we try to deal with them as consistently as we can given the day to day realities. If that's not good enough for people then there's not much I can do about that - it's the way it is.

Your response does not address the issues I raised. If you are operating under such limitations, you are bound to get a lot of complaints. In which case, I think the improvements you perceive are largely wishful thinking. Ask the Fed forum people if they think GM has improved just because the GOAT cheese thread has been closed down.

And that's all I have to say.

scoobs
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Your response does not address the issues I raised. If you are operating under such limitations, you are bound to get a lot of complaints. In which case, I think the improvements you perceive are largely wishful thinking. Ask the Fed forum people if they think GM has improved just because the GOAT cheese thread has been closed down.

And that's all I have to say.
We don't get a lot of complaints. We get some complaints, which is entirely understandable, but the fact is the vast majority of the users seem quite content to operate within the confines of the system that we have in place and rarely get involved in these minidramas. Most of my time moderating, and explaining what we're trying to do when we moderate, is spent on two handfuls of noisy malcontents - one which wants to break the rules that are in place, and the other that just complains about them.

tennizen
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
We don't get a lot of complaints. We get some complaints, which is entirely understandable, but the fact is the vast majority of the users seem quite content to operate within the confines of the system that we have in place and rarely get involved in these minidramas. Most of my time moderating, and explaining what we're trying to do when we moderate, is spent on two handfuls of noisy malcontents - one which wants to break the rules that are in place, and the other that just complains about them.

That can be due to inaction. No need to think they are happy with the system. I can show you 50 posts from the Fed forum and elsewhere where a lot of discontent was expressed. Still feel free to be satisfied. This role suits you:yeah:

scoobs
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
That can be due to inaction. No need to think they are happy with the system. I can show you 50 posts from the Fed forum and elsewhere where a lot of discontent was expressed. Still feel free to be satisfied. This role suits you:yeah:
Well if people don't use the systems in place, what are we supposed to do?

If the users want to treat site moderation as something that has nothing to do with them, then that's their own choice and I'm not particularly sympathetic if they don't like what they're getting because their response is apathy and inaction. Moderation has to be a two way street, there has to be give and take, there has to be cooperation. The problem here is that people seem to complain the moderation is unfair and doesn't work and is imposed upon them while not recognising that in the real world, where the mods have lives and jobs and can't police the place 24/7, we rely on the users to help us make the moderation work as well as it can. It's no lack of effort or interest or deliberate bad judgement on our part if things happen inconsistently. But if we don't get help in this from the ones who sit grumbling and do nothing else about it, then there's no way it's going to change much.

Posters don't want to be treated like children. We get that. But if they don't take some responsibility for what they're seeing going on around them that they don't like, then de-facto they leave us to play the role of "nanny", intervening when we see things but sometimes missing out on other things when our backs are turned.

In the end, as far as you personally are concerned, anything I consider to be an improvement is hardly likely to be shared by you given your stated position as a bit of a forum anarchist.

As for me being satisfied? I'm not. Thinking things have got a little better does not equal satisfied. Still, if you want to try and paint me as being self-satisfied, if that works for you, go right ahead. I'll cope.

tennizen
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I think this discussion has gone on and on and I could go on but you are the only mod who seems interested to respond. I don't know where the other mods are as no one else seems interested in any response or offers a different opinion. I already know your viewpoint and disagree with it and there's nothing more to be said on the issue that hasn't already been said.

So thanks and keep going. I hope the other mods show some visibility because right now it seems like you are the only one running the show.

l_mac
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM
scoobs, I'm not sure that the "RIP 1859-2008" thread has generated any new discussion since August and seems to be full of doping allegations and player bashing. Just wondering why it remained active :confused:

scoobs
02-05-2009, 11:43 PM
scoobs, I'm not sure that the "RIP 1859-2008" thread has generated any new discussion since August and seems to be full of doping allegations and player bashing. Just wondering why it remained active :confused:
It's generated new discussion since August...useful...? Well...

I'm trying to keep an eye on it, if it deterioriates further then it'll be closed.

l_mac
02-05-2009, 11:46 PM
It's generated new discussion since August...useful...? Well...

I'm trying to keep an eye on it, if it deterioriates further then it'll be closed.

No, is the same old crap over and over and over.

You think something new can be/has been said?

scoobs
02-06-2009, 12:04 AM
No, is the same old crap over and over and over.

You think something new can be/has been said?
Perhaps not but I'd rather they kept it on the one thread if they must whine on about the death of tennis.

l_mac
02-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Perhaps not but I'd rather they kept it on the one thread if they must whine on about the death of tennis.

Hmm.

The reason again for closing the Haha threads? I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from the moderating team. It hurts my tiny fangirl brain.

Mimi
02-06-2009, 03:49 AM
yup, where are those hahaha, grilling pig threads :confused::wavey:

JolánGagó
02-06-2009, 01:14 PM
yup, where are those hahaha, grilling pig threads :confused::wavey:

right now, splashed all over GM :lol:

great job Mods :yeah:

Mimi
02-07-2009, 04:06 AM
there are many funny and creative photos in Hahaha, Roasting pigs etc, even though I am fans of Nadal, I am ok with them, in my opinion, there are lots of threads which are worst than hahaha etc i.e. those "1859-2008, Tennis rest in peace thread ;)

FairWeatherFan
02-08-2009, 07:32 AM
That can be due to inaction. No need to think they are happy with the system. I can show you 50 posts from the Fed forum and elsewhere where a lot of discontent was expressed. Still feel free to be satisfied. This role suits you

:haha::haha::haha:

Keep fighting the power man :boxing:

tennizen
02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

Keep fighting the power man :boxing:

I know you are trying very hard to return my compliments to you but trust me you are way funnier and I could never ever hope to catch up to your levels of awesomeness.

pogotheorist
02-13-2009, 05:13 AM
leaving GM alone apart from moderating gross violations would just turn the place right over to the flamebaiters, the trolls, the incessant whiners, the posters who just love to cause trouble... more clearly defining the forum rules and enforcing them more rigourously has been a good thing for GM.
In answer to why a thread was closed:
Closing a thread for being "not useful", while 400 posts made showed that board members regarded it as worth participating in? Clearly defined rules sound great. If the rule is any thread a mod considers undefinably "unuseful" can vanish, despite no problems with civility - then the actual rule is simply arbitrary authority. Which, by laws of human nature, will always be resented.

My concrete constructive suggestion, made months ago, was a mods-think-this-is-garbage zone. At which point those who find your judgment sound know where not to look, and those who disagree are free to socialize among each other, in the forum safely marked with your seal of disapproval.

habibko
02-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your opinion - there is a clause in the rules about threads that may be closed if the mod feels they are not generating useful discussion any longer, so if and when that seems appropriate, it's what we can do if there seems like reasonable cause.

I agree with you and deboogle on about everything you have discussed here so far, I have been a mod in non-English (Arabic) forums for a long time and I know how hard it is to please everybody and to balance things out for the community and how hard it is for the forum to go the way you want it as a mod personally let alone for the forums to go the way every single poster wants.

however I want to discuss the part I quoted here, I know about this rule but I believe it should be revised, this is a rule solely based on the mod's perception and anticipation of the flow of discussion which could change anytime or a new poster could come with new points to discuss in any instant. I believe the ultimate job of the mods is to keep the forum a civil and fun place, what some mods perceive as "redundancy" and "not generating useful discussion" is highly subjective when in fact many (if not all) posters who are participating are having fun, which is one of the purposes of forums.

all I'm asking for here is to revise this rule if possible or apply more leniency toward such threads, I remember most of Clay Death's threads were locked because of such enforcements which was a shame IMO given how much fun they were plus there were points and useful posts going on from many posters' point of view.

btw I enjoyed the GOAT cheese/roasting/haha threads very much, I even posted many pix in the GOAT cheese one, which is supposed to be bashing my favorite player, so I feel sad they were closed, but if someone was getting personally offended then I'm sure the mods had a good reason to close them.

«Ivan»
02-15-2009, 03:22 PM
I agree with you and deboogle on about everything you have discussed here so far, I have been a mod in non-English (Arabic) forums for a long time and I know how hard it is to please everybody and to balance things out for the community and how hard it is for the forum to go the way you want it as a mod personally let alone for the forums to go the way every single poster wants.

however I want to discuss the part I quoted here, I know about this rule but I believe it should be revised, this is a rule solely based on the mod's perception and anticipation of the flow of discussion which could change anytime or a new poster could come with new points to discuss in any instant. I believe the ultimate job of the mods is to keep the forum a civil and fun place, what some mods perceive as "redundancy" and "not generating useful discussion" is highly subjective when in fact many (if not all) posters who are participating are having fun, which is one of the purposes of forums.

all I'm asking for here is to revise this rule if possible or apply more leniency toward such threads, I remember most of Clay Death's threads were locked because of such enforcements which was a shame IMO given how much fun they were plus there were points and useful posts going on from many posters' point of view.

btw I enjoyed the GOAT cheese/roasting/haha threads very much, I even posted many pix in the GOAT cheese one, which is supposed to be bashing my favorite player, so I feel sad they were closed, but if someone was getting personally offended then I'm sure the mods had a good reason to close them.

they were right,you're good habibko:)

imac,stop crying for once.you're just a member just like chooper.buahhaa,buahhaa,buahhaa....bored woman.

Lee
02-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Have you considered that there were complains about those threads, i.e. there were posters who were not having fun and reported those threads? And the mods came in and made a decision?

Also have you read the thread that was referred by scoobs there? Do you really believe there would be something new to discuss about Fed crying in AO ceremony? Also, if there are new points really worth discussing, a poster can always start a new thread about them.

l_mac
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM

That is not why they were closed.

habibko
02-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Have you considered that there were complains about those threads, i.e. there were posters who were not having fun and reported those threads? And the mods came in and made a decision?

Also have you read the thread that was referred by scoobs there? Do you really believe there would be something new to discuss about Fed crying in AO ceremony? Also, if there are new points really worth discussing, a poster can always start a new thread about them.

I was one of those who are having fun so I spoke from my point of view.

That is not why they were closed.

why then?

BigJohn
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
why then?

Because the Noletards, in all their glorious douchebaggery, went beserk in the Hahaha-Nole-lost-thread and the mods decided not to moderate but to kill the fun for everyone.

I would like to see exactly how popular a decision this is.

How's about a poll?