Will Novak take a WC for a tournament next week? Should he? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Novak take a WC for a tournament next week? Should he?

uglyamerican
01-06-2009, 05:14 AM
I don't have a positive feeling about this whole year!:o

We'll see if Novak tries to play next week.

Lee
01-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Nole may get a WC to either Sydney or Auckland.

uglyamerican
01-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Nole may get a WC to either Sydney or Auckland.

I hope not. Real chance of doing more harm than good.

Lee
01-06-2009, 05:19 AM

He needs more match practise :shrug:

Herdwick
01-06-2009, 05:22 AM
He needs more match practise :shrug:

Definitely. He must surely go to Sydney now. Am concerned he looked so jaded so early though.

kalisita
01-06-2009, 05:22 AM

This match today showed he needs match play. He's rusty. Needs confidence. (But, I'd be real bad if he crashed out early somewhere next week as well.)

kalisita
01-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Definitely. He must surely go to Sydney now. Am concerned he looked so jaded so early though.

I am as well. His body language was bad from the start. It's like the MC never happended. :sad:

uglyamerican
01-06-2009, 06:09 AM
(But, I'd be real bad if he crashed out early somewhere next week as well.)

It would be worse to get to finals and be all worn out going into the AUS OPEN.

Only 3 times since 1990 has the winner of the AUS played a tournament the week before.

In 2002 Thomas Johansson lost in the first round at Sydney.

In 1990 Lendl lost to Yannick Noah 6-1,6-4 at Sydney, then beat Noah 6-4, 6-1,6-2 in the Australian SF.

Novak would hope to emmulate Pete Sampras, who in 1994, lost in the first round at Doha (to 205th ranked Karim Alami), then took a WC for Sydney--won Sydney and the Australian.

PS--I changed this thread title, since that's what we're discussing, anyway.

Saumon
01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
He can always play a match or two in Kooyong. No? :p

jitterbug
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't care either way, I will be in both Sydney and Kooyong :lol:

Anyhowwwwww.. This article made it sound like he already accepted the WC:
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1451800.php/Djokovic_hopes_to_turn_his_luck_in_Sydney_

Djokovic hopes to turn his luck in Sydney
Asia-Pacific News

Jan 6, 2009, 9:08 GMT

Sydney - Only hours after a first-round upset in Brisbane on Tuesday, Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic was set to head to Sydney to tune his tennis at the Medibank International.

The world number three was granted a late wildcard into the men's and women's event which starts on Sunday, one week prior to the Open.

The Serb crashed out 6-4, 6-4 to Ernests Gulbis in his opening match of the season in Brisbane but was saved by the free entry in Sydney.

It will be the Serb's first visit to the city. 'I'm very grateful to receive the wildcard to Sydney,' he said. 'It was disappointing to lose in Brisbane but I now have another chance for more high quality matches in Sydney.

'I've heard a lot about the tournament and I am looking forward to playing there.'

Djokovic will come in as top seed in the men's draw in a field which also includes 2008 Melbourne finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France and sixth-ranked compatriot Gilles Simon, Argentine David Nalbandian and four-time Sydney champion Lleyton Hewitt.

The women's field boasts Serena Williams, Dinara Safina, Elena Dementieva, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Australians Casey Dellacqua and Sam Stosur.

Herdwick
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Cheers - good. He can't go into the AO with no match practice - that's asking for more trouble.

Am worried he hasn't used his off-season time as well as he could have though. Am sure we all hoped TMC success in November would provide him with decent momentum into 2009.

Saumon
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't care either way, I will be in both Sydney and Kooyong :lol:

duplicity? :eek: :p

jitterbug
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
He probably needed this as a good kick in the boll*cks though :) Anyway, I'll try my best to get Nole photos for you guys if I see him around in Sydney. I'll be volunteering so there won't be much spare time but I definitely need to hunt him down.

jitterbug
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
duplicity? :eek: :p

Astral projection ;)

*Ljubica*
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
He probably needed this as a good kick in the boll*cks though :) Anyway, I'll try my best to get Nole photos for you guys if I see him around in Sydney. I'll be volunteering so there won't be much spare time but I definitely need to hunt him down.

Thank you, - and enjoy your time there.

Cheers - good. He can't go into the AO with no match practice - that's asking for more trouble.

Am worried he hasn't used his off-season time as well as he could have though. Am sure we all hoped TMC success in November would provide him with decent momentum into 2009.

Totally agree! Far too much partying - TV programmes, opening restaurants, football matches, nightclubs and generally having fun :devil: BUT.......... from my point of view that's exactly why I love Nole :shrug: He may crash out early in Australian Open - nothing would surprise me :shrug: But I'd kind of hate it if he was a robot, who just practised 24/7 and didn't have a life outside tennis world. We're only in the first week of the season - last year was great for the first 6 months and pretty sh*t for the second........... maybe this year wll be opposite. Nole is always full of surprises.

Herdwick
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
*Puts on humourless po-face* Still think it would be better if he moderates the parties and other activites until he's 25 or so and not reasonably expected to win anything much more. He (and the others)have such a short time to have a crack at the top. It will be a shame if he goes off down the Marat route at only 21.

*Ljubica*
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
*Puts on humourless po-face* Still think it would be better if he moderates the parties and other activites until he's 25 or so and not reasonably expected to win anything much more. He (and the others)have such a short time to have a crack at the top. It will be a shame if he goes off down the Marat route at only 21.

But you're not a humourless po-face at all :p It's not natural for you! Do see what you mean, but you just can't change someone's psyche very easily :shrug: I mean look at Fat Dave (though I know you'd prefer not to :o ) He probably could have achieved a lot more if he'd cut down on the rally cars and the beer/food,- but would he have been as happy as a person, acting against his true nature for so long?

zsanika
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
In Sydney will be Nole the 1st seeded?!

Herdwick
01-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Granted but everything I have read suggests that Nole (and his family) have pretty much devoted their lives to his tennis career and made significant sacrifices along the way. He had (well until recently) always stated his intention to reach #1. So, having put in those years of effort, I would have thought he and they would be disappointed if he gets sidetracked by the err...benefits of fame and doesn't make the most of his chance at the top now it has come.

With the increased physicality of the game, most players these days peak in their early 20s and slams after 25 will be increasingly rare. So once he's 25 or so he can party himself into the ground and shag everything in sight.:haha: :devil:

Having said all that, I am talking out of a dark place here and am certainly not in any position to criticise; I have always lacked motivation and am pretty lazy myself.:rolls:

*Ljubica*
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Granted but everything I have read suggests that Nole (and his family) have pretty much devoted their lives to his tennis career and made significant sacrifices along the way. He had (well until recently) always stated his intention to reach #1. So, having put in those years of effort, I would have thought he and they would be disappointed if he gets sidetracked by the err...benefits of fame and doesn't make the most of his chance at the top now it has come.

With the increased physicality of the game, most players these days peak in their early 20s and slams after 25 will be increasingly rare. So once he's 25 or so he can party himself into the ground and shag everything in sight.:haha: :devil:

Having said all that, I am talking out of a dark place here and am certainly not in any position to criticise; I have always lacked motivation and am pretty lazy myself.:rolls:

:rolls: Lazy is good :yeah: I have this motto - "Never run if you can walk, never walk if you can stand, never stand if you can sit down, and never sit down if you can lie down and sleep!" Always suited me fine :)

In Sydney will be Nole the 1st seeded?!

Have no idea :shrug: Though I assume so.Not sure how the WC thing works though!

zsanika
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
:rolls:

Have no idea :shrug: Though I assume so.Not sure how the WC thing works though!

really eventually not this is the essence now.

jitterbug
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Yes, he'll be the top seed :) Unless by some bizarre miracle they manage to get Nadal/Federer to play there.

The top 4 seeds get a bye, BTW... Off the top of my head, I think the other three are Tsonga, Simon and Nalbandian.

zsanika
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Yes, he'll be the top seed :) Unless by some bizarre miracle they manage to get Nadal/Federer to play there.

The top 4 seeds get a bye, BTW... Off the top of my head, I think the other three are Tsonga, Simon and Nalbandian.

thanks!and Then Nole start in the 2. round?!it is good!
and you knew it well:-) :-)
but Simon is the 6th on the ATP Ranking and Tsonga is the 7th
1 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried FRA 6
2 Simon, Gilles FRA 7
3 Nalbandian, David ARG 11

ATP Ranking Points
W: 250
F: 150
SF: 90
QF: 45
R16: 20 (Seeds 1-4: 0)
R32: 0

jitterbug
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, Tsonga and Simon switched spots this week because Tsonga's Adelaide results from last year were dropped at the beginning of this week :) so Gilles will be the second seed.

Janko's only a couple of spots off the main draw so he might make it as an alternate/play qualies. In any case, Dusan Vemic and Mario Ancic will be there, so Nole will have no shortage of players he's good friends with to practice.

zsanika
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=jitterbug;7967578]Yeah, Tsonga and Simon switched spots this week because Tsonga's Adelaide results from last year were dropped at the beginning of this week :) so Gilles will be the second seed.

thank you,thank you!!!!!!!!!!!I don't no why Simon is the 6th.thanks!

Herdwick
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh great. So, he'd get the Satanic Butterfly in the semis there. Welcome to 2009 in Nole-land - the kaleidoscope of unalloyed happiness.

MilanDokic
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I talked to Novak, and he will play Sydney, and will be #1 seed!

*Ljubica*
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks Milan :)

petar_pan
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
ljubica,novak is pretty bit a robot.ivanisevic was that crazy,irradick guy.
he needs not sydney,he needs rest for AO.it will be good to take some practice in sydney(1-2 matches) but not to go to the final,because he will be tired for AO.

*Ljubica*
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
ljubica,novak is pretty bit a robot.ivanisevic was that crazy,irradick guy.
he needs not sydney,he needs rest for AO.it will be good to take some practice in sydney(1-2 matches) but not to go to the final,because he will be tired for AO.

Well maybe a little in his style of play - somewhat like Lendl, - but never in his personality in my opinion :) As for Goran - he was always totally crazy - and my favourite player when I was much younger too :) I disagree with you - I truly think Novak does need more matches, and the confidence boost that will come with some wins,- but it's nice to hear different opinions :)

petar_pan
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Well maybe a little in his style of play - somewhat like Lendl, - but never in his personality in my opinion :) As for Goran - he was always totally crazy - and my favourite player when I was much younger too :) I disagree with you - I truly think Novak does need more matches, and the confidence boost that will come with some wins,- but it's nice to hear different opinions :)

he won AO last year without a practice before, so it seems that he needs not sydney.:)

petar_pan
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM

i mean djokovic is robot on the court.djokovic is showman,but he is not irradick on the court, like ivanisevic was.and he is full in tennis, like ivanisevic wasn't.djokovic is irradick out of court like goran.but that is not like "clymbing of Marat" or "rellies-session of Nalbandian".
Djokovic won AO without any preparation last year so it seems that he needs not Sydney.

Lee
01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
he won AO last year without a practice before, so it seems that he needs not sydney.:)

He played very hard during Hopman Cup especially with Jelena hurting and Nole basically carried her for the whole tournament in mixed doubles.

uglyamerican
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the official confirmation. I am no longer skeptical.

uglyamerican
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

I agree. In the past many players would not play any tour tournament before the Australian.

Practice can be done on the practice court.

petar_pan
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
He played very hard during Hopman Cup especially with Jelena hurting and Nole basically carried her for the whole tournament in mixed doubles.

ups,i forgot that.but many champions(becker,sampras etc.) did not play before AO.

zerocool_
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Sampras won Sydney 94 and then won AO too :) So that doesn't mean anything, he will do good on AO if he find his form. And couple good matches in Sydney can only help :)

petar_pan
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Sampras won Sydney 94 and then won AO too :) So that doesn't mean anything, he will do good on AO if he find his form. And couple good matches in Sydney can only help :)

ha,sampras is sampras, man.and in that time they didn't need to run like today.