Top 5 in France [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Top 5 in France

ORGASMATRON
12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
France is the country with the *second most*:) players in the top 100, 14 to be exact. The top 5 in France is Tsonga, Simon, Monfils, Gasquet and Mathieu. For me this is quite a surprising order, since just a year ago Gasquet and Monfils was probably the favorites to be in the top 10 at this point, not Tsonga and Simon. Do you think it will remain this way? Or do you think Gasquet and Monfils can finally live up to their promise? Right now you would have to say the difference is a mental one. Both Tsonga and Simon have shown that they have a strong desire to win, whereas that is a characteristic that is hard to attribute to Gasquet and Monfils, especially Gasquet. What do you think will be the order of these 5 players come the end of 2009? Here is my list:

1)Tsonga
2)Monfils
3)Gasquet
4)Simon
5)Mathieu

Chiakifug
12-30-2008, 03:17 PM
The exact same as now. Tsonga will only get better if he stays injury free so i expect him to stay on top, if not making more headway in the top 10. Gillou is safe me thinks, all he has to do is do well in the Slams as he has nothing to defend from them last year, he could even go higher, maybe to #5 or #6 if hes lucky. Monfils, i can see him staying on the verge of the top 10. Hes an enigma, really talented but some stupid losses cost him. Same goes for Gasquet, except he didnt have a 'couple' of stupid losses, he had loads. Since he has nothing to defend from last year, maybe Top 15. As for Mathieu, dunno. Can see a younger player like Chardy coming taking the fifth spot.

finishingmove
12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
well

1. tsonga
2. tsonga
3. tsonga
4. tsonga
5. tsonga.

the list goes on, of course, but i'll stay within the thread format. the first non-tsonga player comes at #143

ORGASMATRON
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
The exact same as now. Tsonga will only get better if he stays injury free so i expect him to stay on top, if not making more headway in the top 10. Gillou is safe me thinks, all he has to do is do well in the Slams as he has nothing to defend from them last year, he could even go higher, maybe to #5 or #6 if hes lucky. Monfils, i can see him staying on the verge of the top 10. Hes an enigma, really talented but some stupid losses cost him. Same goes for Gasquet, except he didnt have a 'couple' of stupid losses, he had loads. Since he has nothing to defend from last year, maybe Top 15. As for Mathieu, dunno. Can see a younger player like Chardy coming taking the fifth spot.

Good point. Someone like Chardy could take the 5th spot. It would be hard to for him to enter the top 4 though.

duong
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
France is the country with the most players in the top 100, 14 to be exact.

Spain has 15.

As for the order of the rankings of these players next year, I really don't know at all.

Everything could happen especially between the first 4.

Tsonga, Gasquet and Monfils are utterly unpredictable.
And Simon is still able of beating the best and losing against bad players.

Anyway, I'm mostly interested in their level in the world rankings rather than in the French rankings ... and also about their results in slams actually.

But anyway, what I like in your question is that you also consider Monfils and Gasquet, whereas there have been many threads about Tsonga and Simon recently on MTF.

Actually, although more ancient on the tour, Monfils and Gasquet are younger than both Tsonga and Simon. They are still young players. And they both have great potential. Both of them have changed quite a lot last year, mental, tactics, coach ... Then they might be surprising in 2009 (either good -I rather think of Monfils- or bad -rather Gasquet- way).

The competition among French players is rather about the Davis Cup.
And I wonder about the doubles composition in the Davis Cup.
Gasquet-Tsonga would be a pair with a great potential, but both these players are physically fragile, which is a problem if they have to play the singles.
Llodra could be kept to play with one of those two.
I don't think Clément will be kept in the French Davis Cup team (btw we just learnt that he will not play the Aus Open with Llodra).

duong
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Tsonga will only get better if he stays injury free so i expect him to stay on top, if not making more headway in the top 10.

It has never happened so far :sad:

~*BGT*~
12-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Spain has 15.

As for the order of the rankings of these players next year, I really don't know at all.

Anyway, I'm mostly interested in their level in the world rankings rather than in the French rankings ... and also about their results in slams actually.

But anyway, what I like in your question is that you also consider Monfils and Gasquet, whereas there have been many threads about Tsonga and Simon recently on MTF.

Actually, although more ancient on the tour, Monfils and Gasquet are younger than both Tsonga and Simon. They are still young players. And they both have great potential. Both of them have changed quite a lot last year, mental, tactics, coach ... Then they might be surprising in 2009 (either good -I rather think of Monfils- or bad -rather Gasquet- way).

Gasquet-Tsonga would be a pair with a great potential, but both these players are physically fragile, which is a problem if they have to play the singles.
I don't think Clément will be kept in the French Davis Cup team (btw we just learnt that he will not play the Aus Open with Llodra).

That's not because of Arnaud's game but because of Mika's injury. They are still a very good team. Winning Wimbly in 2007, getting to the AO final last year, schooling the Bryans in DC (I was there, it was a great match).

I know Richard isn't high up on the list to play DC singles, and I think that is a relief for him. He has been the number one player for 3 years and when he refused to play this year, the press took a lot out of him for that. I think he will feel less pressure if he plays doubles with Jo. They make a great team. :D

ORGASMATRON
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Spain has 15.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, i will go edit my post soon lol. Its amazing how many good players Spain have these days, no wonder they won the Davis Cup without Rafa! About the slams i think Tsonga is the only one that has a shot, and a good one at that. However thats is as far as it goes, none other french player have shown the mental capacity to win a slam in quite some time now. Im glad you also brought up the Davis Cup. At this point i would rather play Simon ahead of Monfils and Gasquet in Davis Cup singles if i was France, Gasquet and Monfils still have to mature mentally like you said. The doubles maybe something like Llodra/Gasquet.

Chiakifug
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Simon-Tsonga :drool: I actually think they could do great, very different styles could work well together. Both if they are both playing singles too...

duong
12-30-2008, 04:05 PM
That's not because of Arnaud's game but because of Mika's injury.

That's what I heard, but Llodra will play the doubles in Brisbane with Benneteau.

Anyway, it's quite unlikely that Clément is selected for the Davis Cup in March (except injuries of course). He hopes that. But he knows that the trend is not for him. It's for those who are called the "4 Fantastics" or "the 4 musketeers" in the press recently ... who have similar ages and who've had very good personal relationships so far, happy when the other ones did win something.

In a recent interview, Clément mostly spoke about improving his singles level.

Both Gasquet and Tsonga can be very good doubles players. Their first tournament together they won actually, notably beating the Bryans.

I know Richard isn't high up on the list to play DC singles, and I think that is a relief for him. He has been the number one player for 3 years and when he refused to play this year, the press took a lot out of him for that. I think he will feel less pressure if he plays doubles with Jo. They make a great team. :D

Yes his attitude in the last Davis Cup match was not well considered by the French Federation staff and the older players.
And he's had other problems with Forget and Dominguez.
This is a bad point for him.

But his relationships with the 3 other "younger" players are very good. And I think he's the best doubles player among them.

Actually, he didn't exactly refuse to play against Roddick, he just said that Mathieu was better than him but he could replace Llodra for the final match ... of course after the match this sounds crazy as Mathieu played so badly, but before that, Mathieu had played so well against Blake ! whereas Gasquet was coming back from injury.

It can be considered as a refusal or shyness or humility.

Personally, I didn't understand all this gossiping and thought all this was very unfair and hurtful to Mathieu : it's like saying that even a bad Gasquet was better than a tired but good Mathieu (and usually Mathieu has no problems about tiredness) !!

Everybody spoke like that, Forget, media, even Roddick ... but I really think it was very unfair to Mathieu !

duong
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Simon-Tsonga :drool: I actually think they could do great, very different styles could work well together. Both if they are both playing singles too...

Simon still has a very limited volley and he has lost nearly all of the doubles he played !

Monfils is better,

but Gasquet and Tsonga are surely the best for doubles.

~*BGT*~
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
That's what I heard, but Llodra will play the doubles in Brisbane with Benneteau.

That's what was reported in the Doubles forum. That Llodra was out of the AO entirely because of shoulder injury. :confused: But I'll believe you since you are French. :)

Both Gasquet and Tsonga can be very good doubles players. Their first tournament together they won actually, notably beating the Bryans.

Yes his attitude in the last Davis Cup match was not well considered by the French Federation staff and the older players.
And he's had other problems with Forget and Dominguez.
This is a bad point for him.

But his relationships with the 3 other "younger" players are very good. And I think he's the best doubles player among them.

Actually, he didn't exactly refuse to play against Roddick, he just said that Mathieu was better than him but he could replace Llodra for the final match ... of course after the match this sounds crazy as Mathieu played so badly, but before that, Mathieu had played so well against Blake ! whereas Gasquet was coming back from injury.

It can be considered as a refusal or shyness or humility.

Personally, I didn't understand all this gossiping and thought all this was very unfair and hurtful to Mathieu : it's like saying that even a bad Gasquet was better than a tired but good Mathieu (and usually Mathieu has no problems about tiredness) !!

Everybody spoke like that, Forget, media, even Roddick ... but I really think it was very unfair to Mathieu !

What was strange about Richard's attitude was that he played the dead rubber against James and he played really well. I was there and played a great match. Much better than when he had lost to James a few weeks before. He did lose the match but if it were a live rubber, he still could have come from 2-1 sets down.

Baghdatis#1
12-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I find this to be quite a quincidence(sp.?). I was just thinking about who would play DC for France next year. As for the top5? I would say something like this:
1.Simon-I think he is the best French player ATM.
2.Tsonga-He has a lot of passion for the game.
3.Gasquet-I really have grown to like him and his game. I hope he can have a better rank at the end of 2009.
4.Monflis-I don't think he is that great. In my opinion, he is overrated. However, he should be a top 25 player, maybe top 20.
5.Mathieu-I don't really know much about his game, so I'll just put him at #5.
-Number 6 would probably be Llodra.

duong
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
That's what was reported in the Doubles forum. That Llodra was out of the AO entirely because of shoulder injury. :confused: But I'll believe you since you are French. :).

I don't know that because I'm French :lol:, it's written here actually :

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135225

What was strange about Richard's attitude was that he played the dead rubber against James and he played really well. I was there and played a great match. Much better than when he had lost to James a few weeks before. He did lose the match but if it were a live rubber, he still could have come from 2-1 sets down.

I've heard that, and of course this was said against him, but the fact is that he had not practiced a lot before the tie, and had even been near to giving up.

The fact is that Gasquet is able of amazing matches, just by his talent :cuckoo: but probably even he didn't know that he was able to play like that.

Btw, I had not seen this match in Davis Cup, but I had seen their match in Indian Wells, and Blake had really played great that day : I think he hadn't given Gasquet a chance to really enter the match.

duong
12-30-2008, 04:28 PM
As for the Davis Cup, I think that the worst point for Gasquet is that the mental is extremely important in the Davis Cup,

and for that, Forget knows that both Simon and Tsonga are reliable,

and even Monfils is more reliable than Gasquet.

What goes in favour of Gasquet so far is his ability for the doubles and the fact that the tie in Czech Republic will be played on a quick surface, which is not in favour of Simon and Monfils

(and he has also played good matches in Davis Cup, for instance against Haas in Germany)

But anyway, many things will depend on the beginning of the season.

ORGASMATRON
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
As for the Davis Cup, I think that the worst point for Gasquet is that the mental is extremely important in the Davis Cup,

and for that, Forget knows that both Simon and Tsonga are reliable,

and even Monfils is more reliable than Gasquet.

What goes in favour of Gasquet so far is his ability for the doubles and the fact that the tie in Czech Republic will be played on a quick surface, which is not in favour of Simon and Monfils

(and he has also played good matches in Davis Cup, for instance against Haas in Germany)

But anyway, many things will depend on the beginning of the season.

Yeah i agree Gasquet seems very mentally fragile and Tsonga and Simon as well as Monfils is ranked higher then him for a reason. Having said that 2009 might just be his year since a lot of pressure would have shifted from him to guys like Tsonga and Simon to perfrom for France. I think he doesnt thrive under pressure and now that the focus has shifted to other guys he might just have his best season yet. There was always an immense amount of pressure on him to be the best French player in a long time, and that has clearly affected his game.

Horatio Caine
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
That's not because of Arnaud's game but because of Mika's injury.

Sorry, what is wrong with Mika, and what is his prognosis for 2009? Thanks :)

reggie1
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
I like all the french players (except Monfils if I'm honest, I don't dislike him but his style of tennis is not really for me) but Gasquet is my favourite. I really hope that he just starts to enjoy his tennis again and be happier on and off the court.

reggie1
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Did Llodra criticise Gasquet over Davis Cup? I remember seeing an interview with llodra where Gasquet's name was mentioned but it was in French and I didn't understand very much of it. llodra didn't seem impressed with Gasquet though. I know Mathieu was pushed on the matter in his press conference and didn't want to say anything bad about Richard and just shrugged his shoulders.

duong
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry, what is wrong with Mika, and what is his prognosis for 2009? Thanks :)

He's been disturbed with his left arm since last fall.

HattonWBA
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Tsonga and Gasquet are for sure france's best wuith Simon closely behind, gasquet and Tsonga will have brilliant 2009 in my opinion

duong
12-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Did Llodra criticise Gasquet over Davis Cup? I remember seeing an interview with llodra where Gasquet's name was mentioned but it was in French and I didn't understand very much of it. llodra didn't seem impressed with Gasquet though. I know Mathieu was pushed on the matter in his press conference and didn't want to say anything bad about Richard and just shrugged his shoulders.

Actually it's a little bit complicated because we always get the information from intermediates ...

What we know is that there was an "sincere explanation" between French players and Forget especially about Gasquet's attitude during the Davis Cup tie in the USA last year.

They didn't want to say what had exactly been that "explanation" because it was "inside the team" (that's why Mathieu didn't answer on that issue),

But Forget as usual had been quite stupid speaking with the journalists, telling them in a few words after Mathieu's defeat that "Gasquet had not wanted to play. Just ask him why".

Then of course everybody talked about that and was against Gasquet !!

... and Gasquet's father spoke to defend his son and against Forget.

Then Llodra spoke to defend Forget and against Gasquet's father.

That's mostly what it was about.

Anyway, this kind of stories is also the reason why people want a "new Davis Cup team" with only the young players ... because they have very good relationships between them,
whereas Forget had good relations with Grosjean, Clément, Llodra ...
but had problems with Gasquet and Mathieu (Forget is not at all good for psychology -neither for tactics in my opinion-, you know, and also he always tries to give the responsibility of the defeat to one of the players instead of assuming his) ... and it seems that Tsonga doesn't want his authority.

But Forget is still there ... probably because they don't know yet who should replace him :rolleyes:

reggie1
12-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Thank you so much Duong. :hug: I had read some stuff on the internet but had to use google translate and it was terrible. Are they looking to replace Forget? Would they choose Noah?

richie21
12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
If the reports about Gasquet having worked much harder than ever on his physical strenght and fitness during this off-season are anything true then expect him to have a wonderful season,nothing less.....and i'm being very serious there.

GlennMirnyi
12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Gasquet may work as hard as anyone. If he still keeps being a wussy, it won't matter.

richie21
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Gasquet may work as hard as anyone. If he still keeps being a wussy, it won't matter.

If you feel strong and fit,you generally feel stronger mentally as well.

GlennMirnyi
12-31-2008, 01:52 AM
If you feel strong and fit,you generally feel stronger mentally as well.

Courage is something you're born with, you don't learn.

ORGASMATRON
12-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Courage is something you're born with, you don't learn.

Yes and no. While i think some people are born more courageous then others i think its something you can learn. Whether Gasquet will learn it is another question, but just remember that pressure is a bitch.

duong
12-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Are they looking to replace Forget? Would they choose Noah?

I think they should replace Forget, but so far there's nothing new.

Anyway Noah is too busy with his music, you know :D (and he has played for cinema or TVmovies recently, and he also has some caritative affairs ...), he has great success (he's number 1 favorite star in France).

The president of the French Tennis Federation has just been replaced recently, then I think the previous president (Christian Bimes) has left that for his successor.

Btw, Bimes had tried to replace Forget several times in the past, but he had always failed for that, then I think he gave up.

Some had talked about Escudé, it was said that he didn't have enough experience, but now he's the captain of the Fed Cup team, maybe he can be the captain of the men's team later.

reggie1
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
If the reports about Gasquet having worked much harder than ever on his physical strenght and fitness during this off-season are anything true then expect him to have a wonderful season,nothing less.....and i'm being very serious there.

:worship: :hug: I so hope so, I just want him to enjoy his tennis and life off the court, when you look at some of the photos of him last season on and off the court, he looks so unhappy at times imo. Please let 2009 be a great year for him ;)

duong
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Are they looking to replace Forget? Would they choose Noah?

Anyway Noah is too busy with his music, you know :D (and he has played for cinema or TVmovies recently, and he also has some caritative affairs ...), he has great success (he's number 1 favorite star in France).

The president of the French Tennis Federation has just been replaced recently, then I think the previous president (Christian Bimes) has left that for his successor.

Btw, Bimes had tried to replace Forget several times in the past, but he had always failed for that, then I think he gave up.

Some had talked about Escudé, it was said that he didn't have enough experience, but now he's the captain of the Fed Cup team, maybe he can be the captain of the men's team later.

Guy Forget says that Noah wants to go back in tennis :

he might become a coach (not captain) in the French Davis Cup team :

http://www.lefigaro.fr/tennis/2009/01/16/02004-20090116ARTSPO00316-yannick-veut-revenir.php

PS : I didn't speak correctly, the president of the French tennis federation has not been replaced yet, the new president will only be known in the beginning of february, all we know is that it will be a new one.