Thanos
12-27-2008, 09:49 AM

basel, doha, kooyong and dubai

Crazy Girl
12-27-2008, 12:01 PM
2, but - as always - I hope 4

MurrayFan1
12-27-2008, 12:05 PM
1, I hope whoever said 3 is joking. Just don't ask me what one slam he will win haha.

ORGASMATRON
12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
5, including the masters cup :)

Foxy
12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Frankly just the USO.

EnriqueIG8
12-27-2008, 12:59 PM
2. Wimbledon and AUS/US Open.

betowiec
12-27-2008, 01:14 PM
big fat zero

Horatio Caine
12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he doesn't win one at all. I don't think his 2008 US Open title win is as big an achievement as many make out, when you consider that he struggled for form all year up until that point, benefited from favourable conditions in New York (soft draw, struggling Nole, tired Murray), and then proceeded to struggle for form post-US Open. :shrug:

But, as always, he will out there gunning for the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open titles. As for the French Open...well, his chances have dropped fairly significantly over the last 12 months imo.

Sunset of Age
12-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he doesn't win one at all. I don't think his 2007 US Open title win is as big an achievement as many make out, when you consider that he struggled for form all year up until that point, benefited from favourable conditions in New York (soft draw, struggling Nole, tired Murray), and then proceeded to struggle for form post-US Open. :shrug:

I gather you mean the USO 2008...
Why is it that when Fed wins something, it's always because his opponents were tired, out-of-form, etc... while when he loses, it's NEVER due to himself suffering illness or an injury? Pretty much double standards, here.
Anyone who witnessed him during the AO this year could see he wasn't well at all. And his post USO-struggles, didn't you notice his back injury?

As for the question - could be anything, ranging from zero to three (RG is only a possibility if Rafa would be injured, and I'm not at all expecting anything the like). Just wait and see. I'll be happy if he takes just one, anything else is an extra.

Horatio Caine
12-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Why is it that when Fed wins something, it's always because his opponents were tired, out-of-form, etc... while when he loses, it's NEVER due to himself suffering illness or an injury? Pretty much double standards, here.

That should be addressed to the Fed-bashers...my opinion on him is unbiased.

Anyone who witnessed him during the AO this year could see he wasn't well at all. And his post USO-struggles, didn't you notice his back injury?

I wasn't following tennis as closely as I have done in the past, post-US Open...but I thought the back injury only came to light in the last few weeks of the season? :shrug:

Jimnik
12-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Just Wimby

Sunset of Age
12-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I wasn't following tennis as closely as I have done in the past, post-US Open...but I thought the back injury only came to light in the last few weeks of the season? :shrug:

He withdrew from Stockholm after the USO claiming 'fatigue'. We don't know when that back injury came to exist, but he withdrew halfway Madrid Paris because of it, and apparently it reappeared at the TMC in full force again (despite Roger claiming it was all gone just before he entered the tournament... :rolleyes:). And those who have read his biography know that this surely wasn't the first time he suffered back pains, but apparently the fellow rather bites off his tongue than to express worries about his health. Whether that's wise or not... I don't know. :)

Oh, and sorry, I know you're not a hater. My remark was meant to be directed to anyone drawing the 'tired and injured'-card when it concerns their favourite players losing, but at the same time, conveniently ignoring it when it concerns players they dislike...

Ivanatis
12-27-2008, 02:13 PM
one or two:confused:

guess (and hope) he will reconquer Wimbledon and win either NY or Melbourne

habibko
12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Wimbledon and US open are his to lose, AO is less likely (not by much) and the French is possible should he avoid meeting Nadal in the final.

2 is the reasonable call, 3 would not be a surprise (did it 3 times already) and 4 is too hopeful :o

Bad Religion
12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Zero

Federer is done

jdenelle
12-27-2008, 04:47 PM
no more than 2

Venle
12-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Wimbledon and US Open

Everytime I'm been over-positive with the pools, I always disappointed myself. :(

But maybe Roger will surprise me and win the French Open :D ain't gonna happen :tape:

LinkMage
12-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Only 1, unfortunately.

MrChopin
12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
2 or 3. Sounds overly optimistic, but he has lost to only 3 still-active players in the last 20 slams.

AO: Fed is probably still the favorite here. Djokovic has been inconsistent against the top guys for the past 6-7 months. I don't think Nadal is a huge fast-hard threat, especially at the beginning of the year and after the way his '08 ended. Murray maybe, but he's not yet proven to be consistent.

RG: Not much of a chance.

Wimbledon: He had a rough year and only Nadal was able to beat him (or even get close) 9-7 in the fifth. Djokovic has shown only glimpses of promise against the best while on grass. Murray got steamrolled by Nadal in '08. Fed should be a lock for SF, probably F.

USO: Same as AO except he seems less susceptible to streaky players here.

I think 2 is a "playing probability" choice. Looking individually at AO, SW19, or USO, I think Fed is still the favorite to win each of them. Whether or not he establishes year-round consistency and takes them is another matter. He nearly grabbed two while unhealthy and inconsistent in '08, so I'd imagine that doing so is as real an '09 possibility as any other. And if I say 3, it realistically means he gets 15 by taking Wimbledon back while Pete watches. I'm going with 3.

BigJohn
12-28-2008, 12:11 AM
I voted 2, I hope for 3.

KarlyM
12-28-2008, 01:33 AM
My crystal ball says 1 - but not RG. :awww:

HarryMan
12-28-2008, 01:55 AM
I think either 2 or 3 slams.

I don't think Fed can be beaten in a best of 5 set match away from RG and Wimby (and that too if he faces Nadal). He had mono at the AO open and we saw what crap Murray was made of when he faced Roger at the slam final; thats the way it is going to stay (Fed will school his ass at the slams (where it matters), should they face other :D)

I think he will be charged up to get back the AO and start the year with a real bang. I also think he will win at least one slam out of either Wimbledon and the US open (if not both).

No way will Murray or even Djokovic be able to beat him at the slams next year, if he remains healthy :D

Sunset of Age
12-28-2008, 02:14 AM
^^ well said.

How funny that so many people think that Muzza owns Fed right now. Fed trashed him fair-and-square at the USO, and barely lost to him at the TMC while having an obvious back injury.

I'd say I'd like to see a renewed Roger-Muzza clash happening at the AO. :armed:

HarryMan
12-28-2008, 02:28 AM
^^ well said.

How funny that so many people think that Muzza owns Fed right now. Fed trashed him fair-and-square at the USO, and barely lost to him at the TMC while having an obvious back injury.

I'd say I'd like to see a renewed Roger-Muzza clash happening at the AO. :armed:

Very true :hug:

I would like to see that as well with Fed ripping him apart like at the USO and sending his whiny little ass back to Scotland :cool:

Sunset of Age
12-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Very true :hug:

I would like to see that as well with Fed ripping him apart like at the USO and sending his whiny little ass back to Scotland :cool:

Don't misintepret me here... I think Muzza is a very talented player indeed. But people seem to read too much into his victories against Fed, and too less in his losses.

chammer44
12-28-2008, 05:12 AM
None.

The emergent core of new talent, bursting with ambition and might, will drag the aging King kicking and screaming to the guillotine.

Foxy
12-28-2008, 07:35 AM

As for the question - could be anything, ranging from zero to three (RG is only a possibility if Rafa would be injured, and I'm not at all expecting anything the like). Just wait and see. I'll be happy if he takes just one, anything else is an extra.

^^ well said.

Tell me about double standards. You twist it as it suits you.

federernadalfan
12-28-2008, 07:47 AM
two, australian, us open

manuel84
12-28-2008, 09:08 AM
1 would be great, 2 would be glorious.

ORGASMATRON
12-28-2008, 10:06 AM
2 or 3. Sounds overly optimistic, but he has lost to only 3 still-active players in the last 20 slams.

AO: Fed is probably still the favorite here. Djokovic has been inconsistent against the top guys for the past 6-7 months. I don't think Nadal is a huge fast-hard threat, especially at the beginning of the year and after the way his '08 ended. Murray maybe, but he's not yet proven to be consistent.

RG: Not much of a chance.

Wimbledon: He had a rough year and only Nadal was able to beat him (or even get close) 9-7 in the fifth. Djokovic has shown only glimpses of promise against the best while on grass. Murray got steamrolled by Nadal in '08. Fed should be a lock for SF, probably F.

USO: Same as AO except he seems less susceptible to streaky players here.

I think 2 is a "playing probability" choice. Looking individually at AO, SW19, or USO, I think Fed is still the favorite to win each of them. Whether or not he establishes year-round consistency and takes them is another matter. He nearly grabbed two while unhealthy and inconsistent in '08, so I'd imagine that doing so is as real an '09 possibility as any other. And if I say 3, it realistically means he gets 15 by taking Wimbledon back while Pete watches. I'm going with 3.

I think this is pretty fair. I think Roger will be pretty relaxed at this point. He needs only 2 slams to break Pete's record and he's got ages to do it. So no pressure really, he should go into this year trying to win 3 again. I bet that is the way he will be thinking. Anyhow if he doesnt do that he'd still have won 2 and beaten the all important record. If he only wins 1 then that would have been another disappointing year for him. Id think at least he would want to prove that he's putting 2008 behind him by winning 2 slams.

ORGASMATRON
12-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I think this is pretty fair. I think Roger will be pretty relaxed at this point. He needs only 2 slams to break Pete's record and he's got ages to do it. So no pressure really, he should go into this year trying to win 3 again. I bet that is the way he will be thinking. Anyhow if he doesnt do that he'd still have won 2 and beaten the all important record. If he only wins 1 then that would have been another disappointing year for him. Id think at least he would want to prove that he's putting 2008 behind him by winning 2 slams.

Of course i left out the numbers 0 and 4 which are also options but unlikely ones. 0 would be a disaster and 4 would be out of this world.

RagingLamb
12-28-2008, 06:02 PM
some finals, 0 slams.

Igaarg
12-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I hope 3, but I don´t know. I want to see him play in the next season to know how he is doing. But at least he´s gonna win 1.

biological
12-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I voted 4, because I've decided to be optimistic, and I think it's doable if he plays his best at RG and Rafa maybe has a bad day.

I cannot wait to see him take back the Wimbledon title. I like Rafa, I really do, but it feels all wrong and if Roger wins there next year I will be ecstatic.

ORGASMATRON
12-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I voted 4, because I've decided to be optimistic, and I think it's doable if he plays his best at RG and Rafa maybe has a bad day.

I cannot wait to see him take back the Wimbledon title. I like Rafa, I really do, but it feels all wrong and if Roger wins there next year I will be ecstatic.

Respect brother :worship: I think all fedfans here would agree if Roger takes back his wimby crown and win another hard court slam that would be satifactory. He would only be 28 at that point and already past Pete's record. But of course i hope for 3 or 4 slams :drool:

Kitty de Sade
12-28-2008, 06:23 PM
My tennis guru says that he'll tie Pete, but won't break him. I'll go with what she said. :)

biological
12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Respect brother :worship: I think all fedfans here would agree if Roger takes back his wimby crown and win another hard court slam that would be satifactory. He would only be 28 at that point and already past Pete's record. But of course i hope for 3 or 4 slams :drool:

exactly :D if he wins 2 next year I'll be happy (1 wouldn't be a disaster but I think it would disappoint him quite a lot), and more than that would just be awwwesome.

Allez Roger!

FedFan_2007
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
None. The arrogant Swiss is done winning slams~~~ You can quote me in HELL!

Mechlan
12-28-2008, 09:24 PM
People still seem to think 2008 was an abnormality instead of a natural downward progression in his career. One slam in 2009 would be a good year for Fed, more than that would be great.

ORGASMATRON
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
People still seem to think 2008 was an abnormality instead of a natural downward progression in his career. One slam in 2009 would be a good year for Fed, more than that would be great.

I cant agree with you. People still think when a great player have one bad year theyre over and done with. I think The Master deserves a little more slack then that...

NYCtennisfan
12-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Frankly just the USO.

I guess it's the ultimate compliment to an all-time great when people predict that a player will win "just" the USO.

FedFan_2007
12-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I guess it's the ultimate compliment to an all-time great when people predict that a player will win "just" the USO.

Such sad attempts to cover up the real truth.

l_mac
12-29-2008, 12:34 AM

I suppose it is. Like all the times people predict Nadal will "just" win the French :D

I can't imagine that Fed won't win all 4 next year. People underestimate him :sad: Vamos Rogi :rocker2:

MIMIC
12-29-2008, 12:42 AM
I figure that his best opportunity will be at the U.S. Open.

Foxy
12-29-2008, 07:06 AM

In fact, no. I was trying to jinx him. He won't win a slam. You can quote me and mock at me if I am wrong. BUT else...

FedFan_2007
12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
In fact, no. I was trying to jinx him. He won't win a slam. You can quote me and mock at me. BUT else...

I used to try to reverse-jinx Federer, but it stopped working in 2008. So I'm just stating facts by saying he won't win any slams in 2009. Not only that, he probably will only make 1 final - Wimbly.

ORGASMATRON
12-29-2008, 07:28 AM
I used to try to reverse-jinx Federer, but it stopped working in 2008. So I'm just stating facts by saying he won't win any slams in 2009. Not only that, he probably will only make 1 final - Wimbly.

I guess i will never understand your sarcasm...:confused:

Thanos
12-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I guess i will never understand your sarcasm...:confused:

noone does.. even the fedtrolls are ashamed of him.

FedFan_2007
12-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Frauderer will be lucky to win 30 matches in 2009...

FedFan_2007
12-29-2008, 07:32 AM
noone does.. even the fedtrolls are ashamed of him.

Which makes me a top contender for 2009 ACC.

Thanos
12-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Which makes me a top contender for 20009 ACC.

nah clay death will be back in couple of weeks, he will be really pissed that he wasnt allowed to compete in this year event.

FedFan_2007
12-29-2008, 07:35 AM
nah clay death will be back in couple of weeks, he will be really pissed that he wasnt allowed to compete in this year event.

I agree, Clown Death will be a worthy adversery and tough to beat. Great finishing power off both wings and err...~~~

ORGASMATRON
12-29-2008, 07:53 AM

I was just looking through all the posts and i realized something. I wondered how many people, including myself was really being truthful and how many was being hopeful. If you look at what happened at wimby and the french this year things doesnt look all that good for Roger. I still think what i said above is true but consider this. What if he still havnt learned anything from this year's loss at the french and wimby? What if he keeps doing the same thing and making the same mistakes? What if he doesnt realize that he needs to start thinking against Rafa. I think its pretty obvious that Roger falls asleep at the wheel against Rafa, whereas Rafa is all the time thinking of better ways to beat Roger. As a Federer fan this is something that concerns me. To be honest if he doesnt win back the wimby crown in '09 im gona be disappointed in him, and that just might happen if he meets Rafa again and does the same thing all over again.

I really hope Roger realizes by now that he has to attack more against Rafa and play to his own strengths, both on grass and clay. For too long has he been trying to beat Rafa from the baseline, and it has now even backfired on his favorite grass surface. The one encouraging thing that i noticed from this year though is that when they asked Roger who he would prefer to meet in the US finals he said without a doubt Rafa. Who knows what that meant though and the US is different from wimby and the fench. So Roger if you are out there, i beg you to give this a second thought. This might just make the difference from you being viewed as the greatest of all time or not...

BlueSwan
12-29-2008, 08:33 AM
In order of likelyhood:

1. Federer wins ONE slam in 2009
I generally believe that Federer will never be the Federer of 2004-2007 again, therefore winning multiple slams in a year isn't very likely, especially not with the increased competition. However he's still a force in Grand Slams and will remain amongst the favourites for every slam in 2009. He's most likely to win one of those with Wimbledon being the most likely title, The US Open the second most likely, the Aussie Open the third most likely and The French Open the least likely.

2. Federer doesn't win a slam in 2009
As shocking as it may sound, I believe that is it more likely that Federer won't win a slam in 2009 than him winning two slams. Federer faces several problems next year. First of all, he's not quite the player he used to be, second of all, while he used to own everybody except for Nadal, he's now struggling against all of his key opponents (Nadal, Murray and Djokovic) and is starting to lose to players he'd never ordinarily lose to (Simon, Roddick, Blake, Fish).

3. Federer wins two grand slams in 2009
Having said all of that, noone should be shocked if he manages to win two slams either. At his top level noone can beat him outside of Nadal on clay. So if he gets his game back to its previous standard, then two grand slams aren't the leat bit unlikely, with Wimbledon and The US Open remaining his best chances.

4. Federer wins three grand slams in 2009

5. Federer wins four grand slams in 2009

MrChopin
12-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I was just looking through all the posts and i realized something. I wondered how many people, including myself was really being truthful and how many was being hopeful. If you look at what happened at wimby and the french this year things doesnt look all that good for Roger. I still think what i said above is true but consider this. What if he still havnt learned anything from this year's loss at the french and wimby? What if he keeps doing the same thing and making the same mistakes? What if he doesnt realize that he needs to start thinking against Rafa. I think its pretty obvious that Roger falls asleep at the wheel against Rafa, whereas Rafa is all the time thinking of better ways to beat Roger. As a Federer fan this is something that concerns me. To be honest if he doesnt win back the wimby crown in '09 im gona be disappointed in him, and that just might happen if he meets Rafa again and does the same thing all over again.

I really hope Roger realizes by now that he has to attack more against Rafa and play to his own strengths, both on grass and clay. For too long has he been trying to beat Rafa from the baseline, and it has now even backfired on his favorite grass surface. The one encouraging thing that i noticed from this year though is that when they asked Roger who he would prefer to meet in the US finals he said without a doubt Rafa. Who knows what that meant though and the US is different from wimby and the fench. So Roger if you are out there, i beg you to give this a second thought. This might just make the difference from you being viewed as the greatest of all time or not...

Rafa is a tough matchup for Fed on most courts, but for the past 2+ years, Fed has dealt with him pretty well on everything but clay. I don't think Fed needs to think about a new way to beat Rafa, and he's dominated him for stretches even on clay. Rather, Fed needs to get some consistency at the level where he is playing his game. He did this for patches near the end of the season, moving better and taking the ball earlier, playing more aggressively and dominating from the back of the court by overpowering and outmaneuvering his opponents, and though less common in '08 than previous years, ending points quickly once he got a fh.

The Basel final is probably the best match he played all year, and should he play like that more often in '09, he will do well at the slams, even against Rafa. Compare his movement, strategy, and shot placement in that match to his performance in the Wimbledon '08 final. And it was not simply a matter of differing opponents and surfaces: there are moments at Wimbledon '08 where Fed has the necessary time and outhits Nadal rather easily. I'm not saying Nadal has nothing to do with Fed's struggles, but people suggest that Fed's game is somehow being passed or that last year was a natural decline from where he had been though looking at match play, consistency, and general '08 progression would indicate it was more than him simply being caught by the pack.

RG is going to take one of the performances of his life. He took a badly lopsided slam beating for the first time against Rafa at RG '08, so maybe a "stars align" match is possible there as well.

prima donna
12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
RG is going to take one of the performances of his life. He took a badly lopsided slam beating for the first time against Rafa at RG '08, so maybe a "stars align" match is possible there as well.

Hahahaha.

TBRaven
12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
3 , I am sure.
It will be ninja Fed year.

Of course, no chance of winning RG if Rafa is healthy.

Foxy
12-29-2008, 09:56 AM
It is interesting how everyone takes Rafa and Rog reaching the final of both RG and Wimby for granted... Nothing is certain for either player as everything could happen. I predict at least one of the players if not both of both finals would be different.

habibko
12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
It is interesting how everyone takes Rafa and Rog reaching the final of both RG and Wimby for granted... Nothing is certain for either player as everything could happen. I predict at least one of the players if not both of both finals would be different.

it isn't for granted but it has occured for the last three years so it's the most likely outcome, they are both a long way ahead of anyone else in those two grand slams (neither of them have even been stretched to 5 sets in either of the two slams before the final).

edit: except Nadal in Wimbly.

rafa_maniac
12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
One or two. I'd imagine 08 was the sudden downturn in his career, and he'll probably coast at that level for another couple of years until he nears 30 and he no longer seriously competes for the Slams. I'd consider him the favourite for the hard court slams still. Not so probably at Wimbledon (though many will disagree) but Rafa will likely still be the world #1 and #1 seed going into the tournament (barring a catastrophic first half of the year) as well as of course being defending champion and having beaten Federer last year, so barring some massively differing form in the months leading up to Wimbledon in Roger's favor (hard to imagine with that being clay season), Nadal has to be considered favourite there. That all said, a hunch tells me Federer will win Wimbledon next year and no other Slam.

ORGASMATRON
12-29-2008, 11:56 AM

This is what i hope, but if you take the trend of the last 3 or 4 years its unlikely. They are clear nr 1 and 2 on clay and grass although Nole may have something to say about that.

Puschkin
12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
One, and I want it to be Roland Garros.

ORGASMATRON
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
If he only wins one then yeah definitely i want it to be the french.

Sunset of Age
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
If he only wins one then yeah definitely i want it to be the french.

... which is the most unlikely for him to win by far. :o

AnnaK_4ever
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
0 or 1. Most probably, 0.

ORGASMATRON
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM

You never know, if Rafa gets injured then suddenly he'll be the favorite.

Sunset of Age
12-29-2008, 02:39 PM
You never know, if Rafa gets injured then suddenly he'll be the favorite.

I know, but I'm hoping for all players to stay healthy and fit, and I highly doubt whether Roger would cherish a title at RG without Rafa being there as much as with a fully healthy Rafa around. It would at least mean a lot less to me.

(I know, this is just my feelings about it. Could be entirely wrong about it and I emphasize that I absolutely do not want to see any of the players to become ill or injured, even if it would 'help' one of my favs.)

Puschkin
12-29-2008, 02:42 PM
True, but the only big prize still there to take.

Corey Feldman
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
:wavey: Puschkin

i said 1 - US Open

Matt01
12-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I think 1 is realistic...even Federer sometimes hits some lucky shots ;)

He'll maybe reach some more finals though (and then lose to Rafa and Djoko :devil:).

ETA: He could win Wimbledon or US Open.

habibko
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
voted 2:

-SaFiinsBabY-, Acer, AsianSensation, avocadoe, BigJohn, bluefork, buzz, Cafisho, calvinhobbes, federernadalfan, feuselino, freeandlonely, FrenchTaki, Meadowsweet, mojobaby75, ohtrebla, propaganda, Renaud, RoddickSg, rodin, RogerFan82, Sexysova, Sinerra, Stawa, sweetymessi, TBRaven, trucul, Tyler_Durden, Vale_86, Venle, Vicek

voted 3:
anutam, Art&Soul, dylan24, Fed Express, FedererSlam, FSRteam, habibko( :angel: ), HarryMan, neme6, ORGASMATRON, tommylover10

still a chance to make it 3, who will be right from the two groups in the end? :devil:

Acer
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
:)

scarecrows
07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Foxy, Matt01, all these guys have disappeared lately :sad:

Garson007
07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
ORGASMATRON might be right. D: