Best Matches of 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best Matches of 2008

Clydey
12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/1/en/news/newsarticle_1591.asp

Fans were treated to plenty of high quality tennis throughout the ATP World Tour 2008 season. ATPWorldTour.com breaks down five of the best matches.

No. 5 – Andy Murray (GBR) d Richard Gasquet (FRA), Wimbledon fourth round, 57 36 76(3) 62 64

Andy Murray became only the fourth British man to reach the Wimbledon quarterfinals in the Open Era, joining Roger Taylor, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman, by fighting back from two sets down to defeat Richard Gasquet 5-7, 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-2, 6-4 in a classic encounter. Gasquet had an opportunity to serve out the match after breaking the Scot to go up 5-4 in the third set, but then dropped serve with a double-fault. "It's the best support I've ever had in a match in my life," said Murray. "I've never been in the situation Gasquet was in, but I'm sure it was tough for him at the end. It's an awesome feeling to have that sort of support."

No. 4 – Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) d Marcos Baghdatis (CYP), Australian Open third round, 46 75 75 67(4) 63

After a very late finish to the day session (largely due to Roger Federer's 10-8 fifth set win over Janko Tipsarevic), tournament organizers contemplated moving or postponing Venus Williams's night match. But, in the end, Hewitt and Baghdatis went on according to the order of play, but at a much, much later time than expected. They started at 11.47 pm Saturday and ended at 4.34 am Sunday. In the latest match in Grand Slam history, former World No. 1 and 2005 finalist Lleyton Hewitt needed five match points before defeating 2006 runner-up Baghdatis 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-7(4), 6-3. Baghdatis hit 73 winners, including 28 aces, but it wasn't enough.

No. 3 – Rafael Nadal (ESP) d Carlos Moya (ESP), Chennai Open semifinals, 67(3) 76(8) 76(1)

Carlos Moya produced a vintage performance against his former protégé Rafael Nadal in an epic four-hour battle, which saw Nadal save four match points in the second set tie-break en route to a 6-7(3), 7-6(8), 7-6(1) win. The match was the longest three-set match since 1993 when Andrei Cherkasov defeated Andrea Gaudenzi in the quarterfinals of Tel Aviv. It was Nadal’s fifth win in seven meetings over former World No. 1 Moya, but the battle left him so exhausted that against Mikhail Youzhny he won just one game. “I wasn’t playing the real Rafael Nadal today,” said Youzhny, after a 6-0, 6-1 victory in 57 minutes.

No. 2 – Andy Murray (GBR) d Roger Federer (SUI), Tennis Masters Cup Round Robin, 46 76(3) 75

Andy Murray did not have to beat Roger Federer to secure his place in the Tennis Masters Cup semifinals, but the first Briton to win five titles in the Open Era rose to the challenge. Murray fought back from a one-set deficit to defeat four-time champion Federer 4-6, 7-6(3), 7-5 in a shade over three hours. Federer received treatment for a back injury and had looked resigned at 3-0 down in the third set, but the Swiss began to unnerve Murray. Federer heroically saved seven match points, two of them with aces, to stay in the match, but as his legs started to stiffen Murray was able to clinch a famous victory.

No. 1 – Rafael Nadal (ESP) d Roger Federer (SUI), Wimbledon final, 64 64 67(5) 67(8) 97

Roger Federer was the king of SW19, with a 65-match unbeaten streak on grass. He was looking to clinch his sixth successive Wimbledon crown, but for the third year running he faced Nadal – a player, who was reaching the height of his powers. In one of the greatest matches of all time, Nadal eventually triumphed 6-4, 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-7(8), 9-7 in a final, twice interrupted by rain, at 9:15 p.m. BST. In dethroning Federer, Nadal became the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to clinch the Roland Garros-Wimbledon double. He was also the first Spanish male since Manolo Santana in 1966 to lift the coverted trophy.

NinaNina19
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Murray def. Nadal USO SF 2008. Good thing they didn't put Nadal-Simon Paris SF because seriously :retard: .

Odesnik
12-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Odesnik defeating Roitman in Houston after being a set and a break down and Roitman also served for the match twice and had mps.

reggie1
12-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Gasquet and Murray, although I was torn between the player playing for the country that I love against the player that I love. I'm afraid Andy won the battle for my heart that day!

Corey Feldman
12-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Murray over Nadal at US open was the GOAT match of the year, decade, century, millenium, whole history of the world as we've known it - and then the galaxy/milky way

best moment and night of my life that match

cOm1goFR4bc

Corey Feldman
12-26-2008, 08:47 PM
from Clydey's list i say Murray-Gasquet

his famous celebrations :lol:

Clydey
12-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Surprisingly, it's not my list and still includes two Murray matches :eek:

It's from the ATP website.

Personally, I liked Murray's celebration at the end of the third set (after that backhand pass from way out of court) when he stood next to the crowd and let out a big Ric Flairesque "WOOOOOOO!" If he had followed it up with the Ric Flair walk, that would have been perfect.

NinaNina19
12-26-2008, 08:58 PM

He was so sexy when he flexed his bicep :drool:. I bet $50 on that match and I almost cried when Gasquet was serving for the match. But then my hero pulled it out for me :hearts: .

Corey Feldman
12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Andy the big fighter

showed his bicep and turned his career around on those matches v Gasquet and Melzer at the Slams - and Moya in Cinci, Federer in Madrid

3 times this year v Fed he lost first set & won match

incredible

FairWeatherFan
12-26-2008, 09:47 PM
No. 1 – Rafael Nadal (ESP) d Roger Federer (SUI), Wimbledon final, 64 64 67(5) 67(8) 97

This is fast turning into the most overrated match in the history of tennis.

NinaNina19
12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
This is fast turning into the most overrated match in the history of tennis.

It already is:rolleyes:.

Yappa
12-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Whew, this is bad. Out of those 5 matches, I only liked the outcome of one, while the rest kind of pissed me off. :lol:
Hopefully, 2009 will be a better year for me. :)

Ozone
12-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I guess this means the 2nd best match because obviuosly Nadal and Federer's WImbledon final was the best and probably best of all time. I think Hewitt def Baghdatis in the Aussie open late into the night was the next best match sadly:(. Baghdatis was down 1-5 in the 4th and came back to win in the breaker!

NinaNina19
12-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I guess this means the 2nd best match because obviuosly Nadal and Federer's WImbledon final was the best and probably best of all time. I think Hewitt def Baghdatis in the Aussie open late into the night was the next best match sadly:(. Baghdatis was down 1-5 in the 4th and came back to win in the breaker!

:o:smash::help:

LleytonMonfils
12-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Anyone think Roddick Kohlschreiber should get an honorable mention?

LleytonMonfils
12-26-2008, 11:22 PM
It already is:rolleyes:.

It's not everyday you get a marquee matchup like that, that actually lives up to the hype. I think it merits the top spot alone for doing just that. Guess I was the only one glued to the tv set all day with 5 college roomates. They don't even like tennis that much and they were into it... yelling, screaming, high fives.

I guess it really depends on what you define as being "the best tennis matches". Are you looking for a lot of winners? Contrast of styles? A 5 set match? etc.

~*BGT*~
12-26-2008, 11:32 PM

I only saw it once and wasn't concerned with the quality of the tennis at that time. :o

seljanin
12-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Don't think so.. Kohli was hitting winners of Roddick's crappy, loopy moonballing shots and passing him on his more than horrible approach shots. Sure, Kohli's BH was on fire, but although there was a ton of winners in this match, it wasn't a tennis match of the highest quality, IMO.

LleytonMonfils
12-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Don't think so.. Kohli was hitting winners of Roddick's crappy, loopy moonballing shots and passing him on his more than horrible approach shots. Sure, Kohli's BH was on fire, but although there was a ton of winners in this match, it wasn't a tennis match of the highest quality, IMO.

Yea but think of the average tennis fan (not a majority of us), who don't actually think about that kind of stuff or look at the game in that manner. For them that was a pretty entertaining affair. I'll still never understood why Roddick kept hitting approach shots to Kohl's backhand.

MurrayFan1
12-26-2008, 11:56 PM
My favourites were

Hewitt V Bagdhatis AO
Djokovic V Federer AO
Tsonga V Nadal AO
Murray V Gasquet WM
Nadal V Federer WM

Ozone
12-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Any Roddick match cannot be considered the best. His unathletic, raw game is boring. After every Roddick match, people should sit down and match a Nadal or Murray or Simon or any other shotmaker play.

MurrayFan1
12-27-2008, 12:04 AM
True, but I love Roddick's power.

seljanin
12-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I'll still never understood why Roddick kept hitting approach shots to Kohl's backhand.

Well.. Andy's approach shots almost always defy any logic and common sense, so better just give up on trying to comprehend it :)

~*BGT*~
12-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Any Roddick match cannot be considered the best. His unathletic, raw game is boring. After every Roddick match, people should sit down and match a Nadal or Murray or Simon or any other shotmaker play.

Andy is boring but you like Sam? :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
12-27-2008, 01:51 AM

Nadal, Murray and Simon shotmakers?

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Are you dumb or blind? Must be one of the two to say that.

GlennMirnyi
12-27-2008, 01:53 AM

Fans were treated to plenty of high quality tennis throughout the ATP World Tour 2008 season. ATPWorldTour.com breaks down five of the best matches.

No. 5 – Andy Murray (GBR) d Richard Gasquet (FRA), Wimbledon fourth round, 57 36 76(3) 62 64

Andy Murray became only the fourth British man to reach the Wimbledon quarterfinals in the Open Era, joining Roger Taylor, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman, by fighting back from two sets down to defeat Richard Gasquet 5-7, 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-2, 6-4 in a classic encounter. Gasquet had an opportunity to serve out the match after breaking the Scot to go up 5-4 in the third set, but then dropped serve with a double-fault. "It's the best support I've ever had in a match in my life," said Murray. "I've never been in the situation Gasquet was in, but I'm sure it was tough for him at the end. It's an awesome feeling to have that sort of support."

No. 4 – Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) d Marcos Baghdatis (CYP), Australian Open third round, 46 75 75 67(4) 63

After a very late finish to the day session (largely due to Roger Federer's 10-8 fifth set win over Janko Tipsarevic), tournament organizers contemplated moving or postponing Venus Williams's night match. But, in the end, Hewitt and Baghdatis went on according to the order of play, but at a much, much later time than expected. They started at 11.47 pm Saturday and ended at 4.34 am Sunday. In the latest match in Grand Slam history, former World No. 1 and 2005 finalist Lleyton Hewitt needed five match points before defeating 2006 runner-up Baghdatis 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-7(4), 6-3. Baghdatis hit 73 winners, including 28 aces, but it wasn't enough.

No. 3 – Rafael Nadal (ESP) d Carlos Moya (ESP), Chennai Open semifinals, 67(3) 76(8) 76(1)

Carlos Moya produced a vintage performance against his former protégé Rafael Nadal in an epic four-hour battle, which saw Nadal save four match points in the second set tie-break en route to a 6-7(3), 7-6(8), 7-6(1) win. The match was the longest three-set match since 1993 when Andrei Cherkasov defeated Andrea Gaudenzi in the quarterfinals of Tel Aviv. It was Nadal’s fifth win in seven meetings over former World No. 1 Moya, but the battle left him so exhausted that against Mikhail Youzhny he won just one game. “I wasn’t playing the real Rafael Nadal today,” said Youzhny, after a 6-0, 6-1 victory in 57 minutes.

No. 2 – Andy Murray (GBR) d Roger Federer (SUI), Tennis Masters Cup Round Robin, 46 76(3) 75

Andy Murray did not have to beat Roger Federer to secure his place in the Tennis Masters Cup semifinals, but the first Briton to win five titles in the Open Era rose to the challenge. Murray fought back from a one-set deficit to defeat four-time champion Federer 4-6, 7-6(3), 7-5 in a shade over three hours. Federer received treatment for a back injury and had looked resigned at 3-0 down in the third set, but the Swiss began to unnerve Murray. Federer heroically saved seven match points, two of them with aces, to stay in the match, but as his legs started to stiffen Murray was able to clinch a famous victory.

Roger Federer was the king of SW19, with a 65-match unbeaten streak on grass. He was looking to clinch his sixth successive Wimbledon crown, but for the third year running he faced Nadal – a player, who was reaching the height of his powers. In one of the greatest matches of all time, Nadal eventually triumphed 6-4, 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-7(8), 9-7 in a final, twice interrupted by rain, at 9:15 p.m. BST. In dethroning Federer, Nadal became the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to clinch the Roland Garros-Wimbledon double. He was also the first Spanish male since Manolo Santana in 1966 to lift the coverted trophy.

I'll just say you must have started watching tennis last week to say that.

Boring and awful matches. ALL OF THEM.

LinkMage
12-27-2008, 02:01 AM
What's your top 5, Glenn? :p

LinkMage
12-27-2008, 02:34 AM
What's your top 5, Glenn? :p

Let me guess:
Tsonga def. Nadull in the AO
Stepanek def. Federer in Rome
Tsonga def. Nalbandian in Paris

Well, that's 3. The other 2 I'm not very sure:
Seppi def. Nadull in Rotterdam?
Tsonga def. Faker in Paris, TMC or Bangkok?
Youzhny def. Nadull in Chennai?
Anderson def. Faker in Miami?
Safin def. Faker in Wimbledon?

~*BGT*~
12-27-2008, 02:37 AM

It was a copy and paste from the ATP website. ;)

Clydey
12-27-2008, 02:41 AM

I'll just say that you need a pair of glasses or your eyes tested. That isn't my list. It's from the ATP website.

Ozone
12-27-2008, 02:43 AM

Are ou kidding me? What is your top 5 then? These matches were amazing play with an amazing atmosphere. What matches are better?

GlennMirnyi
12-27-2008, 03:01 AM
Are ou kidding me? What is your top 5 then? These matches were amazing play with an amazing atmosphere. What matches are better?

My top 5 matches are from the 90s, when real tennis was played.

Not this crap.

jonathancrane
12-27-2008, 07:01 AM
The best match of 2008 was the Kohls v Roddick AO

ciprianned
12-27-2008, 08:30 AM
The only one : Rafael Nadal (ESP) d Roger Federer (SUI), Wimbledon final, 64 64 67(5) 67(8) 97

finishingmove
12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
boggo def ginepri 6-3 6-1 AO Q1.

Odesnik
12-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Roddick vs Kohl wasn't great. Rod made Kohls look good by charging the net over and over again with the sultity of a 10 foot clown.

Renaud
12-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Nalbandian/Murray - Bercy.
I'm probably the only who thinks that ;)

Fired Up!
12-28-2008, 11:02 AM
The first set between Tursunov and Gasquet at one of the USO Series tourneys this summer (I think Cincy) was the best quality I saw this year. Pathetically enough, the 2nd set was a bagel.

MsTree
12-28-2008, 11:58 AM

Not this crap.

When you were between the ages of 4 and 14? Aye right!:p
I've been watching tennis for a decade longer than you've been alive (according to your avi anyway) and this year has thrown up some of the best matches I've had the pleasure of watching. Instead of constantly carping on and nipping everyone's heads you should chill out and enjoy the life you've got rather than the one you think was better somewhere else :rolleyes:

And just to annoy you Glenn I've promoted Simon vs Nadal at Madrid to my favourite match of the year, just narrowly over Murray vs Fed at the Masters, Simon vs Fed at the Masters, Murray vs Nadal at the US Open and Murray vs Gasquet at Wimbledon :p

Ozone
12-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Andy is boring but you like Sam? :rolleyes:

Sam is young and has good ability. Better backhand than Roddick and better attitude.

Ozone
12-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I've been watching tennis for a decade longer than you've been alive (according to your avi anyway) and this year has thrown up some of the best matches I've had the pleasure of watching. Instead of constantly carping on and nipping everyone's heads you should chill out and enjoy the life you've got rather than the one you think was better somewhere else :rolleyes:

And just to annoy you Glenn I've promoted Simon vs Nadal at Madrid to my favourite match of the year, just narrowly over Murray vs Fed at the Masters, Simon vs Fed at the Masters, Murray vs Nadal at the US Open and Murray vs Gasquet at Wimbledon :p

Perfectly said:worship:

Ozone
12-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Nadal, Murray and Simon shotmakers?

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Are you dumb or blind? Must be one of the two to say that.

Im not blind these guys are amazing how about actually watching one of them play instead of lying. Sit down and watch Simon play. He plays best when hes on the defense. Youre the blind one.

Kitty de Sade
12-28-2008, 05:52 PM
So many have mentioned Wimbledon already, so I'll leave that one. Nadal's entire run @ Queen's Club- but specifically the finals, obviously.

jules101
12-28-2008, 06:38 PM
There are too many matches to talk about - particularly from the 70s/80s - Borg/McEnroe, Borg/Vilas, McEnroe/Connors, Becker/Edberg etc etc. But today's matches are what count and particularly potential matches in 2009.

Potential match ups I am looking forward to this year are:

gasguet v Murray (again)
Nadal V Federer (allways)
Djokovic v Murray ( to see who will come out on top this time)
Nalbandian V Murray ( fat dave is such a great shotmaker but Murray should really beat him - at least once
-
I think there will be plenty that drop - out of the top 10 or 20 or whatever ie, Roddick, Blake ( but I'm very sad about that) plus ~Davydenko. Tsonga is so talented but can't see him getting to the top; likewise with Simon.

Think we have a great top 4 and it will be interesting how it pans out in 2009. I bet the top 4 will be different at the end of the year. I know who I will think will be No 1 and 2.

I could probably go on for ages but what's the point. But ... so many great matches to look forwrard to

OK:

my predictions for the top five at the end of 2009:

1 Federer
2 Nadal
3 Murray
4 Djokovic
5 Simon

That's my lot - make of it what you will!!

Jules

l_mac
12-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Not this crap.
Your top 5 matches of 2008 are from the 1990s?

You're special, GlennMirnyi. Very, very special.

Corey Feldman
12-28-2008, 07:33 PM

You're special, GlennMirnyi. Very, very special.:lol:

l_mac
12-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Murray beating Fed in Shanghai is the most :retard: inclusion for me.

reggie1
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
The first set between Tursunov and Gasquet at one of the USO Series tourneys this summer (I think Cincy) was the best quality I saw this year. Pathetically enough, the 2nd set was a bagel.

Don't remind me :sad:

GlennMirnyi
12-28-2008, 08:50 PM

That just means your taste sucks and you probably don't know much about tennis. :shrug:

My life is great. Tennis nowadays isn't. It was great until about 2003.

Pretentious of you to think you annoy me, mr. no-one. I couldn't care less. You just doesn't seem too bright to me.

Im not blind these guys are amazing how about actually watching one of them play instead of lying. Sit down and watch Simon play. He plays best when hes on the defense. Youre the blind one.

So what? Any crap player can play defense.

Stevie Wonder vision is 20/20 close to you.

You're special, GlennMirnyi. Very, very special.

If I watch them in my VCR in 2008, they're my favorite matches from 2008.

Your logic rivals Nadulls English.

opeth84
12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
That just means your taste sucks and you probably don't know much about tennis. :shrug:

My life is great. Tennis nowadays isn't. It was great until about 2003.

Pretentious of you to think you annoy me, mr. no-one. I couldn't care less. You just doesn't seem too bright to me.

So what? Any crap player can play defense.

Stevie Wonder vision is 20/20 close to you.

You just love to argue. Best match of 2008 would mean the best match played in 2008 by most peoples logic. Even if there english is as bad as Nadals :)

MsTree
12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
You keep posting negativity and couldn't care less attitude but without any actual opinions to back it up so it just looks like whingey attention seeking to me. I'm not fussed if you think I'm bright or not, you've such a closed mind I wouldn't expect you to be able to respond any other way than "I'm right, what you think isn't even worth considering"
Easy for you to say my taste sucks when I've stated my opinion, but you seem reluctant to state yours. Would that be because you would have to stick your head above the parapet and people might slag you off? Or that you would have to admit that some of your favourite matches involved players you've slagged rotten? Interesting dilemna for you, I can see why you're so defensive :tape::lol:

GlennMirnyi
12-28-2008, 09:59 PM
You keep posting negativity and couldn't care less attitude but without any actual opinions to back it up so it just looks like whingey attention seeking to me. I'm not fussed if you think I'm bright or not, you've such a closed mind I wouldn't expect you to be able to respond any other way than "I'm right, what you think isn't even worth considering"
Easy for you to say my taste sucks when I've stated my opinion, but you seem reluctant to state yours. Would that be because you would have to stick your head above the parapet and people might slag you off? Or that you would have to admit that some of your favourite matches involved players you've slagged rotten? Interesting dilemna for you, I can see why you're so defensive :tape::lol:

So knowing what it is a good match is having a closed mind.

Oh my.

There aren't many good matches this year. S&V and ability have been banished from tennis. All it's left is moonballing and ballbashing in just about every match.

My favorite matches this year haven't involved top players, mostly.

Except for that match where Tsonga humiliated Nadull.

Tutu
12-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Simon/Nadal was better than the Fed-Murray match. :o

l_mac
12-29-2008, 12:21 AM

Oh my.

There aren't many good matches this year. S&V and ability have been banished from tennis. All it's left is moonballing and ballbashing in just about every match.

Right, so you can make a list of "best" matches that were played in 2008. What difference does it make if the top players weren't involved?

Apology for me, please.

cobalt60
12-29-2008, 12:22 AM
So many have mentioned Wimbledon already, so I'll leave that one. Nadal's entire run @ Queen's Club- but specifically the finals, obviously.

Watched the final last night again. I forgot how good that final was :yeah:

LinkMage
12-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Watched the final last night again. I forgot how good that final was :yeah:

Yeah, great match if you want to see clay tennis being played on a grass court.

stebs
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Not this crap.

Your top 5 matches from 2008 come from the 90's and you still call others blind/stupid? :lol:

Got to give you the respect for unflinching belief in the eyes of adversity. A true fighter-tard. Ironic since you dislike most players of the 'fighter' brand.

Voo de Mar
12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
For me the best matches in 2008:

The best of five: Federer def. Tipsarevic 6-7(5) 7-6(4) 5-7 6-1 10-8
The best of three: Murray def. Federer 4-6 7-6(3) 7-5

Sorry if I mixed up the tie-breaks but I've written these scorelines from memory.

MsTree
12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
How are you going to know when a good match comes along if you're stuck in the nineties and you think that no good tennis is played anymore? :confused:

So is that your pick of matches for this year then? See that wasn't so difficult after all was it....:devil: I'm sure you could even pick a few more now you've started - top players don't have to be involved so pick away, let's hear what you think!

Beforehand
12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Yea but think of the average tennis fan (not a majority of us), who don't actually think about that kind of stuff or look at the game in that manner. For them that was a pretty entertaining affair. I'll still never understood why Roddick kept hitting approach shots to Kohl's backhand.

I never got to actually see the Gasquet/Roddick match at Wimbledon, so I ended up YouTubing highlights, and they were the most infuriating thing in the world, and I'm not even a Roddick fan. Everytime he came in on Gasquet's backhand, my heart died a little. I just could not for the life of me understand the logic of coming in so much on bad approach shots to your opponent's strength. It honestly felt like Andy never even entertained the idea that someone's backhand might be their better side.

GlennMirnyi
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Your top 5 matches from 2008 come from the 90's and you still call others blind/stupid? :lol:

Got to give you the respect for unflinching belief in the eyes of adversity. A true fighter-tard. Ironic since you dislike most players of the 'fighter' brand.

It was a clear provocation, mate. I'm sure you're not that dumb not to get it.

How are you going to know when a good match comes along if you're stuck in the nineties and you think that no good tennis is played anymore? :confused:

So is that your pick of matches for this year then? See that wasn't so difficult after all was it....:devil: I'm sure you could even pick a few more now you've started - top players don't have to be involved so pick away, let's hear what you think!

I'm not stuck in the nineties. I had to go back, following how pathetic tennis nowadays is.

l_mac
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Um, you forgot my apology.

osalsyst
12-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Nice and simple:

Kohlschrieber def. Roddick (AO)
Federer def. Tipsarevic (AO)
Hewitt def. Baghdatis (AO)
Blake def. Grosjean (AO)
Murray def. Gasquet (Wimby)

Despite only seeing the last two games, my favorite result of the year is Nishikori over Ferrer at the USO.

AnnaK_4ever
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
One must really hate tennis to label that Wimbledon fiasco "the best match" :help:

MsTree
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM

:devil: Apologies were so much better in the Nineties don't you think? :devil:

GlennMirnyi
12-29-2008, 05:11 PM

Really?

GlennMirnyi
12-29-2008, 05:11 PM
One must really hate tennis to label that Wimbledon fiasco "the best match" :help:

Here, here.

THIS is a reasonable post.

scarecrows
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM

or not have a clue about the game

chammer44
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM

What was bad about it?

oranges
12-29-2008, 08:02 PM
What was bad about it?

90 percent of it consisted of playing the exact same topspin a gazillion times on Nadal's side and pretty much choking returns/mistakes and pathetic attempts at attacking on Federer's. Those net approaches :o Not exactly gripping stuff and 4.5 of 5 hours of it.

Vin Judah
12-29-2008, 10:26 PM
90 percent of it consisted of playing the exact same topspin a gazillion times on Nadal's side and pretty much choking returns/mistakes and pathetic attempts at attacking on Federer's. Those net approaches :o Not exactly gripping stuff and 4.5 of 5 hours of it.

:o what a bunch of bs

Knightmace
12-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Simon/Nadal was better than the Fed-Murray match. :o
not.

oranges
12-30-2008, 12:38 AM

It was asked what was bad about and that's how it was for me baby :p If you want a more picturesque account, someone would need to pay me to watch that again and nudge me every once in while not to doze off.

GlennMirnyi
12-30-2008, 01:32 AM
What was bad about it?

Everything?

The best are Frauderer's returns. Probably some of the most pathetic returns ever hit at a tennis GS final.

What you write? It sure is a bunch of BS.

finishingmove
12-30-2008, 01:47 AM
The best are Frauderer's returns. Probably some of the most pathetic returns ever hit at a tennis GS final match not involving Bolelli.

fixed

Tutu
12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
The Wimbledon match s certainly overrated.

GlennMirnyi
12-30-2008, 01:58 AM
fixed

Well, to be honest I've seen Bolelli returning better than Frauderer against Nadull. Maybe it was just a 1 in a 100 match.

arm
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I said it after the final and I keep thinking that way. The final of wimby was very emotive for being a 5 setter and for all those stops, but it certainly was not an amazing one. And IMO far from the best of 2008. Tipsy - Federer in AO was A LOT better, it's just so underrated because it wasn't between the top2. :shrug:

Venle
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Hewitt - Baghdatis :cool:

Federer - Murray? Seriously? Well, I didn't actually see it, but..

I'd put Federer - Tipsarevic on that list, quite a match.

HattonWBA
12-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I reckon Nadal v Federer for sure, incredible, Murray has had some great matches as well, if this was based on individual performances i would say Fat Dave vs Murray, thats was a special performance

Rumour
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Federer - Murray? Seriously? Well, I didn't actually see it, but..

While I missed the first set, I can assure you that (from what I saw in the last two) it was a fantastic match :worship: Great variety, shot-making and momentum swings with both players performing like they had everything on the line, even though Murray had already advanced to the semis and Federer was clearly hurting physically in the later stages. While the final outcome was not the one I was rooting for, I would take a Fed loss like this one over most of his other more 'momentous' ones like this year's Wimby final - and even, from a purely entertaiment aspect, some of his wins.

I'd put Federer - Tipsarevic on that list, quite a match.

Hmm, it was obviously quite a while back and less fresh in my memory than the others but - aside from the upset potential and going the distance - I don't rate it as highly. The quality of play wasn't particularly exceptional that I recall (other than Tipsy playing 'above his rank' so to speak) and I never really felt while watching that the end result was in serious doubt, even in the fifth set.