Can Asian players win a singles title in 2009? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Asian players win a singles title in 2009?

Lin Lin
12-25-2008, 01:17 PM
I am confused why Asian boys can not play well in tennis while they top in other sports like badminton and table tennis, I can understand Asian countries have very short tennis history,and tennis is not that popular in Asia,but considering the Asian girls are strong enough currently to "win a titlle",so we have the justification to expect our Asian boys to win something.

So, what do you think about this?:confused::wavey:What Asia should do in tennis to shorten the gap with Europe and America?:)

I am relatively new here, :wavey:hope for your patience.Thank you.;):angel:

KaiserT
12-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Kei Nishikori won a singles title at the start of 2008..... no reason he can't win another one this year.

Lin Lin
12-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Kei Nishikori won a singles title at the start of 2008..... no reason he can't win another one this year.
oh,really?that was good, hope he can encourage more Asian boys:):)

KaiserT
12-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Without knowing the popularity of tennis in Asian countries and the infrastructure in place to nurture tennis talent there I can't really answer the question though....... but apart from the statistical physical disadvantages of Asian sportsmen (shorter average height etc) there's no reason why the gap can't be breached.

KaiserT
12-25-2008, 01:30 PM
oh,really?that was good, hope he can encourage more Asian boys:):)

Yep.

Well Nishikori's a huge talent anyway. As long as he can keep healthy then I think he has the potential to reach the very top tier of the game, one of my favourite players to watch....... but the injuries he's had already are a huge concern.

trucul
12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Last year, Prakash Amritraj was runner-up in Newport and Somdev Devvarman won one Challenger.
Both players could win one major tournament in 2009 if they play their best during 1 week.

Lin Lin
12-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I can hardly find a court to play tennis while we have very good table tennis and badminton public service.:help:

All I can do is playing tennis against a wall:sad:

Kolya
12-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Paes won a singles title.

Renaud
12-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Golubev will win one.

Action Jackson
12-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Kunitsyn won one this year as well.

Black Adam
12-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Russia is considered Europe, so Kunitsyn doesn't count as an Asian success.

Kei Nishikori will have decent results a la Paradorn Srichapan in the future.

GustavoM_Fan
12-25-2008, 02:54 PM
yes but I think she/he is referring to Chinese, Japanese, Koreans Indians and other people from that zone si4

Action Jackson
12-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Russia is considered Europe, so Kunitsyn doesn't count as an Asian success.

Kei Nishikori will have decent results a la Paradorn Srichapan in the future.

Vladivostok is in Asia and that's where Kunitsyn is from, so yes he is an Asian and Russia is actually Eurasian.

KaiserT
12-25-2008, 03:42 PM
In any case I don't think the OP had the former soviet states in mind when he asked his original question.

DartMarcus
12-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Lu, Lee, Devvarman and Nishikori all have chances.

Chiakifug
12-25-2008, 06:03 PM
If by Asian boys you mean Kei Nishikori then yes!

chammer44
12-25-2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2194929/ "Why I hate Michael Chang."

Just an article, marginally related, that cracked me up when I read it sometime ago.

If the interest isn't there, it will never flourish. And Judging from the landscape of empty seats at the Master's Cup in Shanghai I'd say there ain't much interest.

Kolya
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2194929/ "Why I hate Michael Chang."

Just an article, marginally related, that cracked me up when I read it sometime ago.

If the interest isn't there, it will never flourish. And Judging from the landscape of empty seats at the Master's Cup in Shanghai I'd say there ain't much interest.

:haha: at the article.

Chang will always be an iconic figure of Asian/Oriental tennis.

He is a great example for any tennis player in dedication and hard work.

njnetswill
12-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Men's tennis is not a priority in China. Any boy growing up is more likely to become involved with basketball, table tennis, badminton or soccer, regardless of height.

Lin Lin
12-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Morning!:wavey:

I am really sorry,I need to work very hard to remember some players' names,I only know these big names:(

PS:Russia is always considered as an European country here.:)

Lin Lin
12-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Men's tennis is not a priority in China. Any boy growing up is more likely to become involved with basketball, table tennis, badminton or soccer, regardless of height.

Absolutely right,so tennis popularization in China has a very long way to go.:(

HuaTuo
12-26-2008, 05:37 AM

Where to play soccer:confused:

njnetswill
12-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Where to play soccer:confused:

Seeing kids kicking around a football is certainly much more common than seeing tennis courts.

Lin Lin
12-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I think Manu Ginobili is talking about football:)
Football is actually the #1 sport in China, though our men's team always humiliates us :tape:
:help:

leng jai
12-26-2008, 12:01 PM
If only Xristos was asian.

HuaTuo
12-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Seeing kids kicking around a football is certainly much more common than seeing tennis courts.

When I was young , I can only play soccer under the bridge.:mad:

HuaTuo
12-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Dudi Sela is Asian player.

HuaTuo
12-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Football is actually the #1 sport in China

The majority are talking about soccer but only the minority can take part in kicking soccer.:rolleyes:

the actually #1 sport in China is obviously Mahjong.http://image.linkedu.com.cn/Picture/Upfiles/20081228103919.jpg

Lin Lin
12-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Is Mahjong a sport?:unsure:I love it through:lol:

Nathaliia
12-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Hopefully Aisam Ul-Haq Qureshi can win some bang bang bhai.

Odesnik
12-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Prakash Amritaj will win the French Open

ImmzB
12-27-2008, 11:41 AM
No India colours for Amritraj

NEW DELHI: A government order unveiled on Friday that bars non-natives from representing India, which could deny Prakash Amritraj a place on India’s Davis Cup squad. The sports ministry release said: “Players who are Indian citizens only can avail themselves of government assistance to represent the country in the national teams representing the country.” It effectively rules out Amritraj, 25, a US citizen who was born in Encino, California, from starting a sixth year on India’s Davis Cup team in 2009 or playing for the country in the Olympics or the Asian Games. The 210-ranked Amritraj, whose father Vijay was one of India’s most popular tennis stars, last played for the country in the Davis Cup world group play-off against Romania in Bucharest in September

Nathaliia
12-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Idiotic decision; they shoot in their own leg, but to each their own.

jonny84
12-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Kei will be the player to lead the rest of the Asian tennis players this year. Am sure he can win a few ATP 250 events in 2009.

Henry Chinaski
12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
No India colours for Amritraj

NEW DELHI: A government order unveiled on Friday that bars non-natives from representing India, which could deny Prakash Amritraj a place on India’s Davis Cup squad. The sports ministry release said: “Players who are Indian citizens only can avail themselves of government assistance to represent the country in the national teams representing the country.” It effectively rules out Amritraj, 25, a US citizen who was born in Encino, California, from starting a sixth year on India’s Davis Cup team in 2009 or playing for the country in the Olympics or the Asian Games. The 210-ranked Amritraj, whose father Vijay was one of India’s most popular tennis stars, last played for the country in the Davis Cup world group play-off against Romania in Bucharest in September

so he doesn't have dual citizenship then?

Can't he just apply for Indian citizenship now then?

freeandlonely
12-28-2008, 02:55 AM
Good luck to Kei, really hope he does well.

Winnipeg
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Istomin has a chance...

Lin Lin
11-23-2009, 12:52 PM
So,did any Aian player win a singles title in 2009?:confused::wavey:I am so sorry,I am not so familiar with ATP;)

Ad Wim
11-23-2009, 01:26 PM
In 50 years the Asian will dominate this sport, as well as lots of other sports. It's just unfair; they have billions of inhabitants there, against a few million here in Europe.

jmf07
11-24-2009, 01:21 AM
I don't think any of them won a title in 2009 although Nishikori was injured. Devvarman got close in Chennai but then didn't do anything for the rest of the year on the ATP tour. The future doesn't look so bad with young guys such as Tsung-Hua Yang and Yuki Bhambri and of course Nishikori if he can overcome his injuries.

cocrcici
11-24-2009, 01:35 AM
In 50 years the Asian will dominate this sport, as well as lots of other sports. It's just unfair; they have billions of inhabitants there, against a few million here in Europe.

no,it's about quality not quantity:angel:

FlavorNuts
11-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Asians only excel at hand eye coordination. They can't achieve in athletic sports.

Tankman
11-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Asians only excel at hand eye coordination. They can't achieve in athletic sports.

WTF

Seriously. This. Is. Absolute. Bullshit.

No wonder everyone else in the world thinks Australians are a bunch of racist pricks :retard:

It makes me sometimes reconsider why I push my Australian heritage over my Asian background so often, when some sections of the country have such idiotic stereotypical impressions of us.

Maybe I should start saying things like... "White Australians only excel in getting drunk off their face and causing sex scandals. No one should be taking them seriously. No wonder we lack so much culture and intelligence in our population"

:retard:

Tankman
11-24-2009, 02:54 AM

Just like in table tennis eh? ;)

I bet most people nowadays believe the Chinese must have invented it, which is a shame considering its roots are actually in England, and that Europeans were the original pioneers of the sport until it made its way eastward.

CmonAussie
11-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Yuki Bambri [spell?]~ is the future of Asian tennis, definitely a Top-10 talent..!
Nishikori seems too injury prone, but his leaping forehand `Air-Kei` is pretty cool.
Srichaphan really disappointed me, Paradorn definitely had Top-5 potential but he seemed to burnout after marrying Miss.World-Canada;_;

W!MBLEDON
11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
WTF

Seriously. This. Is. Absolute. Bullshit.

No wonder everyone else in the world thinks Australians are a bunch of racist pricks :retard:

It makes me sometimes reconsider why I push my Australian heritage over my Asian background so often, when some sections of the country have such idiotic stereotypical impressions of us.

Maybe I should start saying things like... "White Australians only excel in getting drunk off their face and causing sex scandals. No one should be taking them seriously. No wonder we lack so much culture and intelligence in our population"

:retard:

his flag says new zealand

lol

Tankman
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
his flag says new zealand

lol

:haha:

Well although the comment still stands, I guess this means that white Kiwis are a bunch of idiots as well.

I would think of an alternative comment to make about Kiwis, but Kiwi-bashing is so common already - the fact that there are more sheep than people, that they only do well in sports thanks to boofy Maori and Pacific Islanders, that the Haka is a joke, and that Kiwis are merely just a bunch of Aussie-wannabes. I mean so many of them migrate over every year... it's likely that we have more illegal immigrant Kiwis than we do have Iraqis or Sri Lankans or Afghanis :lol:

Lin Lin
11-25-2009, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys,I have learnt a lot here:):wavey:

dylan24
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
yeah maybe some POS garbage tournament.

Tankman
11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
:rolleyes:

Dylan being his usual charming self I see :lol:

TennisGrandSlam
11-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I am confused why Asian boys can not play well in tennis while they top in other sports like badminton and table tennis, I can understand Asian countries have very short tennis history,and tennis is not that popular in Asia,but considering the Asian girls are strong enough currently to "win a titlle",so we have the justification to expect our Asian boys to win something.

So, what do you think about this?:confused::wavey:What Asia should do in tennis to shorten the gap with Europe and America?:)

I am relatively new here, :wavey:hope for your patience.Thank you.;):angel:

As a Asian,

I think no hope beside Central Asian players with Russian blood :rolleyes:

Tankman
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
As a Asian,

I think no hope beside Central Asian players with Russian blood :rolleyes:

Nah.. we just need some more tank Thais like Paradorn :cool: