Tomic gets Brisbane wildcard [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tomic gets Brisbane wildcard

iSzavay.
12-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Haven't seen it posted yet ;)

krystlel
12-25-2008, 07:10 AM
I guess we'll all be keeping track of how badly he gets spanked in the first round. Unless if he's lucky enough to draw Taylor Dent, or something.

Arkulari
12-25-2008, 08:00 AM
he needs this kind of experience, no matter how bad it is, step by step he'll be growing on his own :)

Horatio Caine
12-25-2008, 09:18 AM
he needs this kind of experience, no matter how bad it is, step by step he'll be growing on his own :)

Yep, I agree with that, and good thing he isn't an American, otherwise he might have been in danger of getting the same early exposure to ATP level as Donald Young. :o

Thanos
12-25-2008, 10:15 AM
i wonder how long it will take before his dad knocks someone out...

malisha
12-25-2008, 11:14 AM
good news....bring more of them to ATP:D

CooCooCachoo
12-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess we'll all be keeping track of how badly he gets spanked in the first round. Unless if he's lucky enough to draw Taylor Dent, or something.

I don't think he is going to win a match, but he doesn't necessarily have to get spanked either. His results in the play-offs were reasonable enough, but the guy is still extremely inconsistent.

I'm quite surprised he is given a WC actually after the outbursts of his father; I thought they would have ruined his position with TA, but maybe I'm wrong or maybe TA has very little influence on the Brisbane WCs.

DartMarcus
12-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Total waste of wildcard.

TankingTheSet
12-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I think it's an absolute travesty that Chris Guccione has not been given a guaranteed wildcard.

- Chris Guccione is the best ranked Australian tennis player by a mile behind the injured Lleyton Hewitt.
- Chris Guccione has the best recent record on Australian soil of any Australian tennis player, no-one even comes close. He reached the final of Adelaide in 2007 and the final of Sydney in 2008 and also beat Nadal on Australian soil in 2007.

In short, for an Australian tournament it defies belief that Chris Guccione would be denied a wildcard given his recent record and top-100 world ranking as the best-ranked currently-active Australian player.

Horatio Caine
12-25-2008, 06:13 PM
He reached the final of Adelaide in 2007 and the final of Sydney in 2008 and also beat Nadal on Australian soil in 2007.

He beat him 6 games to 5...come on! :lol:

finishingmove
12-25-2008, 08:22 PM
TTS has a point...

Andre♥
12-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Still there aren't a lot of Australian players who would win 6 games against Nadal nowadays! :tape:

gusman890
12-25-2008, 10:27 PM
I think he will be good down the road, but he is going to take some lumps at the ATP level.

iSzavay.
12-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think he is going to win a match, but he doesn't necessarily have to get spanked either. His results in the play-offs were reasonable enough, but the guy is still extremely inconsistent.

I'm quite surprised he is given a WC actually after the outbursts of his father; I thought they would have ruined his position with TA, but maybe I'm wrong or maybe TA has very little influence on the Brisbane WCs.
TA didn't want him to get wildcards but Brisbane did :lol: I guess they won

TankingTheSet
12-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Yeah well I was making the most of that, but I don't think it detracts from the argument that I was making ;)

TA didn't want him to get wildcards but Brisbane did :lol: I guess they won

I guess that is what cost Guccione the wildcard -- the Brisbane organizers/top officials have strong ties with worldwide business agencies, they didn't select based on merit or consideration of Australiant tannis (TA) but entirely on the basis of their personal relationship with big tennis agencies and related business reasons.

Henry Chinaski
12-26-2008, 01:04 AM
What the fuck is this? This is bullshit

Hope the Gooch wins the title as a qualifier, takes a piss in the winner's trophy and throws it back at the organisers.

Experimentee
12-26-2008, 04:38 AM
He can win a match if he gets a good draw, but will most likely get smashed. Good experience though. However I agree there are many others who should get a WC ahead of Tomic.

azza
12-26-2008, 05:03 AM
chris will get the other MD WC that is on offer

GlennMirnyi
12-26-2008, 05:54 AM
I think it's an absolute travesty that Chris Guccione has not been given a guaranteed wildcard.

- Chris Guccione is the best ranked Australian tennis player by a mile behind the injured Lleyton Hewitt.
- Chris Guccione has the best recent record on Australian soil of any Australian tennis player, no-one even comes close. He reached the final of Adelaide in 2007 and the final of Sydney in 2008 and also beat Nadal on Australian soil in 2007.

In short, for an Australian tournament it defies belief that Chris Guccione would be denied a wildcard given his recent record and top-100 world ranking as the best-ranked currently-active Australian player.

Great post.

Don't be a Nadulltard.

Hope the Gooch wins the title as a qualifier, takes a piss in the winner's trophy and throws it back at the organisers.

Hell yeah!

chris will get the other MD WC that is on offer

It's going to Fatdatis, last time we checked.

Arkulari
12-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Yep, I agree with that, and good thing he isn't an American, otherwise he might have been in danger of getting the same early exposure to ATP level as Donald Young. :o

well, that's normal amongst american players, wasn't Blake once the next best thing? :o

the Gooch doesn't need low stuff like wildcards, if he is magnanimous enough to deem us worthy of letting us watch him winning the tournament he'll do it the old fashioned way :lol:

now, being serious, this is bullshit, how come Aussie's #2 player doesn't get a wildcard? the whole purpose of those is to get young players experience and older players the opportunity to play home :shrug:

jonny84
12-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Would be good to see how Tomic goes at an ATP event. He is rumoured to be the future!

Chip_s_m
12-27-2008, 08:22 PM
well, that's normal amongst american players, wasn't Blake once the next best thing? :o

the Gooch doesn't need low stuff like wildcards, if he is magnanimous enough to deem us worthy of letting us watch him winning the tournament he'll do it the old fashioned way :lol:

now, being serious, this is bullshit, how come Aussie's #2 player doesn't get a wildcard? the whole purpose of those is to get young players experience and older players the opportunity to play home :shrug:

So wait, the USTA should only give wildcards to future world #1s and slam winners, even though for obvious reasons it's impossible to predict which young players will accomplish those feats? Are you seriously claiming that Blake should never have received any wildcards because now, years in the future, he isn't the "best thing"? So the USTA shouldn't support their best junior and college players because there's a chance that he/she won't be the best player on tour? :rolleyes:

As for Tomic, the kid's been successful on the junior circuit. Although I think the Gooch should get one I don't have a problem with Tomic getting a shot at it. He won an AO qualifying match last year and has been successful on the futures circuit. He probably won't win a match but it'll probably be a good experience for him. If he does win a round, it'll probably boost his confidence a ton.

Matchu
12-28-2008, 03:26 AM
I don't know how this happened but everyone in this thread seems to be under the impression that Brisbane only has two wildcard entries, they have three.

One has been given to Baghdatis and another has been given to Tomic. The third is yet to be announced and its extremely obvious they are going to given it to Guccione. The only two people that have any chance of getting it over the Gooch is Carsten Ball and Brydan Klein which won't happen.

Do your research before you make comments.

Henry Chinaski
12-28-2008, 03:52 AM
The 3rd wild-card is decided by a play-off. Tanking The Set referred to an "automatic wildcard"

krystlel
12-28-2008, 03:58 AM
:lol: I feel kind of bad for laughing at it, since it is an honest mistake, but it is funny.

GlennMirnyi
12-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Anyway, giving a WC to this kid is a joke.

Give it to Ball instead.

aussie_fan
12-28-2008, 05:15 AM

I completely agree with that, there is still one more wc (there isn't a playoff this time around) that if the organisers have some sort of sense that he gets one.

Although announcing Tomic getting a wildcard first is stupid espically since Tomic really shouldn't get one in the first place.

Arkulari
12-28-2008, 05:19 AM
So wait, the USTA should only give wildcards to future world #1s and slam winners, even though for obvious reasons it's impossible to predict which young players will accomplish those feats? Are you seriously claiming that Blake should never have received any wildcards because now, years in the future, he isn't the "best thing"? So the USTA shouldn't support their best junior and college players because there's a chance that he/she won't be the best player on tour? :rolleyes:

I wasn't really referring to the results of the players and the incidence on wildcard giving, I realize not everyone is Roger or Rafa and wildcards are needed for young players to get more ground and learn things at the big guys tournaments ;)

What I was trying to say is that american media tend to overhype their sportsmen all the time, some live up to expectations, some don't, once upon a time Blake and Roddick were the supposed heirs of Agassi and Sampras, but they simply weren't good enough :shrug:

jmf07
12-28-2008, 09:54 AM

:haha:

I hope Tomic draws the Gooch or an Aussie qualifier if there is one and gets absolutely annihilated although if he plays the Gooch, he will probably get a tiebreak thanks to the Gooch’s generosity.

It was a ridiculous decision to give Tomic a wildcard. His results don't warrant one and his attitude is pathetic. He is that fragile mentally that he walks off the court whilst being comprehensively beaten and then says that he couldn't handle it as the opponents foot faults are supposedly not being called and all this was after his tantrum a few weeks earlier after being beaten by Luczak in a training match. Imagine how will he take getting thrashed in his ATP Tour debut in the media spotlight.

Ferrero Forever
12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah no surprises here at all

TankingTheSet
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't know how this happened but everyone in this thread seems to be under the impression that Brisbane only has two wildcard entries, they have three.

One has been given to Baghdatis and another has been given to Tomic. The third is yet to be announced and its extremely obvious they are going to given it to Guccione. The only two people that have any chance of getting it over the Gooch is Carsten Ball and Brydan Klein which won't happen.

The 3rd wild-card is decided by a play-off. Tanking The Set referred to an "automatic wildcard"

I completely agree with that, there is still one more wc (there isn't a playoff this time around) that if the organisers have some sort of sense that he gets one.

Yes, I was under the impression there would be a play-off so Gooch would be slaving under the sun right now. But now that the play-off is "off" there is indeed a good chance he will still get the WC.

But watch out -- being "nominated" for the last wildcard in a tournament without actually having been awarded it yet is a precarious situation. I'm pretty sure if some random top-20 player with mood swings calls up the Thursday before the tournament asking for the wildcard, they will instantly show Gooch the door.

aussie_fan
12-28-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure there was an article that they were saying they were going to dump the playoff so they could give the wild card to Tomic (and also Holland & Wejnert on the women's side). I hope so anyway, there's no need for another playoff

CooCooCachoo
12-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, I was under the impression there would be a play-off so Gooch would be slaving under the sun right now. But now that the play-off is "off" there is indeed a good chance he will still get the WC.

But watch out -- being "nominated" for the last wildcard in a tournament without actually having been awarded it yet is a precarious situation. I'm pretty sure if some random top-20 player with mood swings calls up the Thursday before the tournament asking for the wildcard, they will instantly show Gooch the door.

You are absolutely right to give out a cautious warning, but there are some Top 20 players who I think would not be awarded a WC over Guccione (Andreev, Berdych, Almagro, Söderling). Might be that all of them are already committed this week though, I don't know and am too lazy to check.

FairWeatherFan
12-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Tomic should be given the wildcard because he is a much more talented prospect than Guccione. This experience will be good for Tomic. It seems like the Gooch's ranking is entirely dependent on Australian wildcards. Furthermore, The Gooch has already got the benefit of several wildcards when he was ranked very low and therefore should not complain.

GlennMirnyi
12-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Tomic should be given the wildcard because he is a much more talented prospect than Guccione. This experience will be good for Tomic. It seems like the Gooch's ranking is entirely dependent on Australian wildcards. Furthermore, The Gooch has already got the benefit of several wildcards when he was ranked very low and therefore should not complain.

Bold call. Will Tomic get to #67 in the world?

FairWeatherFan
12-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Bold call. Will Tomic get to #67 in the world?

The Gooch, with respect, should be happy with a career as illustrious as Wayne Arthur's.
By winning this year's junior Australian Open Tomic became the youngest grand slam champion in tennis history. Tomic has also won the Orange Bowl three times and been the no. 2 junior in the world. I know junior results aren't always indicative of success (Todd Reid anyone?), but I'm willing to bet that Tomic will have a better career than Guccione.

malisha
12-29-2008, 12:53 AM
but I'm willing to bet that Tomic will have a better career than Guccione.

dont do it...but you can bet that Tomic will win no more than 4 games in his 1.round match...that wager looks better;)

Experimentee
12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I wasn't really referring to the results of the players and the incidence on wildcard giving, I realize not everyone is Roger or Rafa and wildcards are needed for young players to get more ground and learn things at the big guys tournaments ;)

What I was trying to say is that american media tend to overhype their sportsmen all the time, some live up to expectations, some don't, once upon a time Blake and Roddick were the supposed heirs of Agassi and Sampras, but they simply weren't good enough :shrug:

Blake and Roddick both reached top 5, its a bit harsh to call them "not good enough".

Anyway I think a lot of countries' media tend to overhype players. Tomic is very overrated right now.

Arkulari
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
reaching top HUNDRED is good, let's not even talk about top5, but they ain't Agassi or Sampras, or where are their other 21 GS? (counting the one from Roddick) :shrug:

comparing Roddick to Sampras or Blake to Agassi is... :eek:

Tomic is right now the future of the aussie tennis, they are (like the americans) waiting for their resurrection, because they are not a factor anymore :shrug:

Experimentee
12-31-2008, 03:11 AM
I read in today's newspaper that they are giving the other WC to Brydan Klein who has just turned 19 and not done much on the ITFs so far. IMO they are really taking this youth policy too far if they will give the WC to Klein over Gooch :rolleyes:

aussie_fan
12-31-2008, 05:58 AM
I read in today's newspaper that they are giving the other WC to Brydan Klein who has just turned 19 and not done much on the ITFs so far. IMO they are really taking this youth policy too far if they will give the WC to Klein over Gooch :rolleyes:

You are kidding me. Klein is shit. Well Done organisers, you have given it two overhyped players who will barely win 6 games between them, disgraceful.

If that is true, Gooch should be pissed. Mind it's always hard to tell when the Gooch is angry.

Chip_s_m
12-31-2008, 07:38 AM
You are kidding me. Klein is shit. Well Done organisers, you have given it two overhyped players who will barely win 6 games between them, disgraceful.

If that is true, Gooch should be pissed. Mind it's always hard to tell when the Gooch is angry.

Maybe they'll end up drawing each other in the first round. :lol:

Seriously though, even though I think these are a bit premature for both of these guys, I like them both and would like to see them do well. :cool:

CooCooCachoo
12-31-2008, 11:38 AM

Klein :unsure: Why? Just being young does not warrant a WC :rolleyes:

Horatio Caine
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Mind it's always hard to tell when the Gooch is angry.

:lol:

A champion hides his feelings well. :angel:

On the one hand, I can understand Tennis Australia's thinking here..Guccione has been stagnant for a couple of years (and unlikely to make himself comfortable inside the top 80 imo) and they do need to try to expose some of their lower-ranked (and sometimes younger) players to Tour level.

However, it isn't like Guccione's presence in an Aussie event draw has been a waste over the last couple of years (Adelaide and Sydney finals), so I think he should at the very least be given the opportunity to defend as many of his runner-up points as is possible, even if he might be heading for a slide, this season. :shrug: I'd understand a little more if the guy was a Bogdanovic (lucky to win a round).

Arkulari
12-31-2008, 12:45 PM
what is this? this is BULLSHIT :eek:

what is wrong with tournament managers? they always seem to screw up things or do a weird mafia thing :unsure:

Horatio Caine
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Ah, just read in the Brisbane event forum (eureka) that Gooch might be getting a Sydney WC.

Makes sense that he might be granted entry to the tournament he did so well in last year, but a WC to the Brisbane main draw would have been more beneficial for him...it's not like Brisbane is full of mugs, but the Sydney draw is pretty heavy, leaving Gooch no place to hide when the main draw is made. :shrug:

GlennMirnyi
12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
If The Gooch doesn't get a WC in Brisbane, it's official: the Aussie Tennis Federation is managed by retards.

Henry Chinaski
12-31-2008, 05:54 PM
just another example of discrimination against gingers.

the acceptable face of bigotry world-wide. it's despicable.

GlennMirnyi
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
just another example of discrimination against gingers.

the acceptable face of bigotry world-wide. it's despicable.

Exactly. It's racism at its clearest.

TankingTheSet
01-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Ah, just read in the Brisbane event forum (eureka) that Gooch might be getting a Sydney WC.

Makes sense that he might be granted entry to the tournament he did so well in last year, but a WC to the Brisbane main draw would have been more beneficial for him...it's not like Brisbane is full of mugs, but the Sydney draw is pretty heavy, leaving Gooch no place to hide when the main draw is made. :shrug:

Well if he would not receive a wildcard to Sydney that would mean the currently active Australian #1 player by a mile, the one active Australian player in the top-100, the only Australian player to reach an ATP final on Australian soil (or anywhere for that matter) in 2008 and the only Australian player to reach an ATP final on Australian soil in 2007, would have the official status as a pariah.

Edit: Hewitt is playing the Hopman the cup, so Guccione not the currently active Australian #1. Apparently they have been practicing together.

TankingTheSet
01-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Next week's statistical paradox:

Chances of Chris Guccione winning 3 or more matches in Brisbane when given a wildcard: 50%

Chances of any other Australian wildcard winning a single match in Brisbane: 1%

So the tournament organization is clearly dreading the prospect of a packed ticket-paying crowd cheering on a succesful home player winning consecutive matches. It's better to minimize the chances of that happening to the absolute minimum. After all, the Brisbane tournament is not held in the interest of Australian tennis, but in the interest of [fill in here].

Winnipeg
01-01-2009, 03:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-qZc3D-S0&feature=related

This is what Guccione did in Adelaide 2 years ago...clearly the best Aussie player...the Aussie Federation is run by a bunch of clown!

Tenys4ever
01-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Totally agree. I don't believe he should have to qualify over Tomic. He is one of our Davis Cup representatives and whilst not always a huge crowd drawer should still receive that respect. It is a joke that he has been relegated purely for the publicity that having a young player like Tomic - it is purely about the publicity and the sponsors. Let's face it - unless Tomic gets a suspension from the ITF (hahaha) and is unable to play Australian Open he will get a wildcard into that as well. Look at Tomic's webpage. One of his sponsors is Garnier - a major sponsor of the Oz Open. Tennis Australia sponsor and coordinate his webpage. How many other players in the Australian system have a webpage sponsored and organised by Tennis Australia? I think it is all too much, too early. How many times have we heard the experts say that junior success is no indicator of senior success! I still feel Guccione has been unfairly treated.

Tenys4ever
01-01-2009, 04:28 AM
And to top it all off I just heard that TA have given a qualifying w/c to their other favourite over so many others that it defies belief. They have given one to Verryth! So obviously Tomic and Verryth are going to be our two biggest hopes for the future! :eek::eek: I am sure that any of the players below who didn't get their chance who are listed below that are more highly ranked than Verryth must be furious. To my knowledge Smeets, Millman, Lindner are all from Queensland. Verryth isnt. What a joke. If anyone knows the other wc let me know. One would certainly hope that the likes of McKenzie would get one with his great effort in the Playoff - he won matches.

I wonder if anyone of the other players were told to go to Brisbane in the chance of getting a wildcard - lucky Verryth to get such personalised attention.

Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS)
96 Guccione, Chris (AUS)
156 Luczak, Peter (AUS)
193 Sirianni, Joseph (AUS)
197 Smeets, Robert (AUS)
202 Ball, Carsten (AUS)
251 Klein, Brydan (AUS)
255 Ebelthite, Colin (AUS)
278 Groth, Samuel (AUS)
294 Matosevic, Marinko (AUS)
329 Lindahl, Nick (AUS)
331 Coelho, Andrew (AUS)
332 Ebden, Matthew (AUS)
350 Armstrong, Miles (AUS)
366 Feeney, Adam (AUS)
396 Junaid, Rameez (AUS)
434 Jones, Greg (AUS)
445 Jones, Alun (AUS)
501 Healey, Nathan (AUS)
555 Durek, Raphael (AUS)
564 Millman, John (AUS)
632 Mckenzie, Brendan (AUS)
670 Stasiak, Jurek (AUS)
671 Thomson, Clint (AUS)
763 Tomic, Bernard (AUS)
782 Lemke, James (AUS)
820 Kadir, Sadik (AUS)
863 Reid, Todd (AUS)
868 Hensel, Kaden (AUS)
882 Crowe, Joshua (AUS)
883 Goh, Steven (AUS)
890 Reid, Matt (AUS)
918 Lindner, Joel (AUS)
985 Kelly, Dayne (AUS)
998 Mccook, Mark (AUS)
1000 Hubble, Adam (AUS)
1027 Propoggia, Dane (AUS)
1040 Marsland, Clifford (AUS)
1048 Trkulja, Nick (AUS)
1079 Thomas, Andrew (AUS)
1091 Frost, Leon (AUS)
1109 Maher, Jarryd (AUS)
1119 Gregory, Andrew (AUS)
1143 Smith, John-Patrick (AUS)
1155 Phillips, Robert (AUS)
1168 O'Neil, Evan (AUS)
1190 Frost, Isaac (AUS)
1248 Van Min, Zachary (AUS)
1255 Hoh, Stephen (AUS)
1293 Duckworth, James (AUS)
1323 Fox, Matt (AUS)
1350 To, David (AUS)
1365 Bobusic, Strahinja (AUS)
1381 Easton, Jared (AUS)
1385 Roberts, Andrew (AUS)
1461 Verryth, Mark (AUS)

Boy he is a long way down this list! Have heard the selectors like him even though he is another one that continually gets reprimanded for poor training habits and not trying. Maybe the other boys should do that as well - then they might get the same attention.

Arkulari
01-01-2009, 07:32 AM
OMG :eek:
at this rate, next time the wildcard will be given in a lottery to whomever gets the lucky ticket! :eek:
bunch of morons, the tennis national managers are usually that :rolleyes:

FairWeatherFan
01-01-2009, 11:00 AM
More overreaction above... The Australian tennis organisers are making the right choice by trying to develop youth and increase the currently woeful depth of Aussie tennis. Gooch's ranking has been dependent on Aussie wildcards for a long time. He needs to learn to stand on his own two feet (and with his potential should really be doing so)...it's the younger players who should properly be getting leg-ups.

In regards to Verryth, he is only 17 years old...how high do you expect him to be ranked?

Matchu
01-01-2009, 03:20 PM
More overreaction above... The Australian tennis organisers are making the right choice by trying to develop youth and increase the currently woeful depth of Aussie tennis. Gooch's ranking has been dependent on Aussie wildcards for a long time. He needs to learn to stand on his own two feet (and with his potential should really be doing so)...it's the younger players who should properly be getting leg-ups.

In regards to Verryth, he is only 17 years old...how high do you expect him to be ranked?

Yes, finally someone realises that this is a good thing. Chris Guccione may suffer from this but there is no way he could drop as low compared to high how Brydan Klein and Bernard Tomic could jump from this. If Chris can't qualify for an ATP event in Australia then where is he going to qualify? sometimes you gotta take a step back to take two steps forward. I'm glad players like Verryth are getting ATP experience at 17 as opposed to players like Alun Jones who are too old to make any impact and just retire.

So far three teenagers have been named Tomic, Klein and Verryth. Tomic and Verryth both gained ATP rankings this year and Klein boosted his ranking pretty high, so I like this decision and it has much more positives than negatives, although you do feel for the Gooch I don't think he had that much of a chance of getting past the quarterfinals anyway. The Australian Open is where Chris should be looking to make a run.

CooCooCachoo
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Verryth seems a good choice for a QWC, actually. His last results have been pretty decent.

I still cannot support a Klein WC though. He may have boosted his ranking a lot, but has done so with mediocre results in the lowest-end Challengers of the season. But he is young and with AIS, so that qualifies him I guess :rolleyes: Matosevic would be a way better choice.

The best-ranked players he defeated in 2008 were (Top 300 only):

289 Adam Feeney
290 Nathan Healey (by retirement)

And that is it. He defeated no other Top 300 players. The guy simply does not deserve a WC :shrug:

Snowwy
01-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Matosevic isnt a good choice either. If you say this is a better choice then clearly Klein is a fine choice.

CooCooCachoo
01-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Matosevic isnt a good choice either. If you say this is a better choice then clearly Klein is a fine choice.

Please substantiate.

Chip_s_m
01-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Verryth seems a good choice for a QWC, actually. His last results have been pretty decent.

I still cannot support a Klein WC though. He may have boosted his ranking a lot, but has done so with mediocre results in the lowest-end Challengers of the season. But he is young and with AIS, so that qualifies him I guess :rolleyes: Matosevic would be a way better choice.

The best-ranked players he defeated in 2008 were (Top 300 only):

289 Adam Feeney
290 Nathan Healey (by retirement)

And that is it. He defeated no other Top 300 players. The guy simply does not deserve a WC :shrug:

Matosevic didn't beat any top 300 players this year and is 4 years older (age 23). Plus, the only challenger experience he has is making it through the Moncton qualifying draw and losing in the first round. Granted Klein hasn't played in the toughest challengers, but Moncton is about as weak as they come. Klein has won matches in challenger tournaments, whereas Matosevic is still trying to qualify for them. The only reason I could see for giving Matosevic a WC over Klein would be his recent performance, although I don't think this is enough to compensate for Klein's youth and overall better success in my opinion. I like Matosevic and hope he's able to crack the top 100 at some point, but I'm much more confident in Klein's career.

GlennMirnyi
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
It's stupid to think Tomic or that other clown will win a MD match.

CooCooCachoo
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Matosevic didn't beat any top 300 players this year and is 4 years older (age 23). Plus, the only challenger experience he has is making it through the Moncton qualifying draw and losing in the first round. Granted Klein hasn't played in the toughest challengers, but Moncton is about as weak as they come. Klein has won matches in challenger tournaments, whereas Matosevic is still trying to qualify for them. The only reason I could see for giving Matosevic a WC over Klein would be his recent performance, although I don't think this is enough to compensate for Klein's youth and overall better success in my opinion. I like Matosevic and hope he's able to crack the top 100 at some point, but I'm much more confident in Klein's career.

Matosevic improved a lot throughout the season. Of course he didn't play Challengers, but he was quite impressive in Futures. He showed marked progress, whereas Klein's season did not show any upward signs, and his performance in the play-offs wasn't as good.

Yes, Matosevic is older, but he hasn't been on the scene very long. I don't know his history, but I get the impression that he might have gone to college first. If so, I think that is very commendable.

Anyways, I just don't find Klein very deserving of a WC for the main draw. There are no signs whatsoever that he is capable of winning a match there. His place should be in qualies.

Snowwy
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Anyways, I just don't find Klein very deserving of a WC for the main draw. There are no signs whatsoever that he is capable of winning a match there. His place should be in qualies.

Exactly what Chip_sm said.

And now going by this, what has Matosevic done to prove he could win a match.

CooCooCachoo
01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Exactly what Chip_sm said.

And now going by this, what has Matosevic done to prove he could win a match.

He has shown rapid improvement in 2008, something Klein failed to do (in my opinion his jump in the rankings is impressive, but the way he got that jump is not impressive). I am not sure if he would be able to win a match either, but he is the in-form player who is close to his career-best ranking. All that Klein has in his favour is his age and the fact that he is with AIS. I prefer WCs being awarded for merit.

Snowwy
01-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Klein: (Italised results not in 2008)

SF: Australia F12, USA F25, New Dehli Challenger, Kuwait F1,
F: GB F9
W: Belarus F2, NZ F2, Australia F1, Australian Open Junior Championship

Career Challenger Record: 9-16 (9-8 in his last 17 matches)

Matosevic:

SF: Australia F5, Australia F7, USA F14,
F: Australia F9, Australia F6, Mexico F5
W: Australia F12, Australia F10, Mexico F7, Mexico F8

Career Challenger Record: 0-3

-----------------

Youre telling me you want it based on merit then you go and suggest Matoservic..well youre not really making much sense.

CooCooCachoo
01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Note how pretty much all of Klein's good results were early on in the season, whereas Matosevic was in-form in the latter part. He merits a WC because he is the in-form player; Klein showed very little progress throughout the year.

Klein being an AO junior champ should not carry more weight here than his failure to do well at the play-offs, a place where Matosevic did perform, losing only in the semis and beating Carsten Ball, in a very close match, who was the favourite to win the whole thing.

Snowwy
01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Note how pretty much all of Klein's good results were early on in the season, whereas Matosevic was in-form in the latter part. He merits a WC because he is the in-form player; Klein showed very little progress throughout the year.

Klein being an AO junior champ should not carry more weight here than his failure to do well at the play-offs, a place where Matosevic did perform, losing only in the semis and beating Carsten Ball, in a very close match, who was the favourite to win the whole thing.

So you think performing well in futures events is better than being so-so in challengers? I think thats complete bullshit but it wouldnt surpirse me too much if you thought that.

CooCooCachoo
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
So you think performing well in futures events is better than being so-so in challengers? I think thats complete bullshit but it wouldnt surpirse me too much if you thought that.

The players that Klein beat in the so-so Challengers in which he performed moderately well (i.e. the two New Delhi ones) are no better than the ones Matosevic beat in the last few Australian Futures. It makes no sense saying doing OK in Challengers is better than doing well in Futures if the field in these Challengers is not any better than that of the Futures. Consider that complete bullshit if you will. I'm guessing you also think doing OK in Newport, Indianapolis or Beijing with an easy draw is more of an accomplishment than doing well in San Marino, Wroclaw, Surbiton, Sunrise, Belgrade, Buenos Aires and loads of other Challengers.

Oh and in each post you keep ignoring the play-offs. Can't refute that, eh?

FairWeatherFan
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
His sister has sweet deal but Tomic wants an Open wildcard for his dessert

January 2, 2009

One has already hit the first bumps along the road to tennis stardom, the other's training efforts are still rewarded with ice-cream. Jessica Halloran meets the siblings who some say could change Australia's tennis fortunes.

If Sara Tomic practises well she gets an ice-cream. If Bernard Tomic plays extremely well in the next week he could earn an Australian Open wildcard. They are the brother and sister who could dominate Australian tennis, and just possibly the world, if they translate their junior form into the seniors.

Bernard Tomic, 16, has been ripping up the world junior scene for years now and gets his first Australian tournament wildcard in the Brisbane International, which starts on Sunday. It's a mammoth task as the teenager joins world No.3 Novak Djokovic and last year's Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the men's draw. If the youngster excels against the men he is a chance to be given an Australian Open berth later this month, his management says.

Meanwhile, at a Southport tennis court, his 10-year-old sister Sara practises most days and is rewarded, if she works hard, with a sweet treat. She could well be a force on the women's tour in years to come, says her father John and brother Bernard.

Bernard, who has blitzed the world junior circuit, says his little sister has more tennis talent than he does but says she is still learning.

"Sometimes she gets lazy and wants to quit the training session," Bernard says, laughing. "She works hard. A lot of the time when she works hard she gets an ice-cream at home. If she doesn't [work hard], she doesn't get one.

"She started out like me, she's playing older divisions. She's really good. I hit with her every now and then."

Their father, John, who has overseen his children's development says Sara has more potential than Bernard, who has won an unprecedented three Orange Bowl trophies in the world junior championships in Florida, a tournament also won by Roger Federer as a teenager.

At 15, Tomic won the Australian Open boys' singles title and reached the semi-finals of the boys' singles at Wimbledon and the quarter-finals at the French Open last year. He was then selected for his first Davis Cup squad in September.

Late last year, Tomic played some lower-tier Futures tournaments in Australia and missed out on a quarter-final spot at the Australian Open wildcard play-off, losing to Colin Ebelthite, who went on to win the wildcard.

But back to Sara, whose volley is her greatest strength, her father says.

"She definitely has a bit more talent than Bernard," John told the Herald. "She's just started playing for the past one-and-a-half years. I think she will have the best volley in the world for a girl. She's understanding the game very quickly. She's the No.1 under 10 in Australia. She's in the top three for the 12-and-under girls.

"With Bernard doing well, for Sara it will be easier, she is watching him. I think Sara will be a top-50 player, definitely."

Bernard says Sara has undoubtedly learnt from him and can see the similarities. And the older brother, after a little thought, admitted that his little sister was handier with the racquet.

"It's really strange because she's kind of like me when I started," Bernard says. "Same level of talent and got the same feel so it's good playing her, I think she's better than me when I started, which is really good.

"She's a little bit more aggressive, she stays in the court, I like to go defensive a bit, play behind the baseline, it's a good advantage to have to be aggressive."

It has been a tumultuous journey for the hard-working Tomics to this point; off and on the court. The Croatian-born John and Ady Tomic were refugees after the break-up of Yugoslavia and lived for a period in Germany, where Bernard was born. They moved to the Gold Coast in 1996 and had great hopes of a better life.

With the Tomic children shining with the tennis racquets, Ady completing her biomedical science degree and John, who initially drove a taxi to make a living, now his son's full-time coach, life is so much better than in Croatia.

"It's hard, we lose everything," John says. "We go to Germany as refugees and come to Australia. We are so lucky we come here, [if we] go somewhere else we never make these achievements. Australia is the best part of the world. We can be anything we want here. There are so many generous people here in Australia.

"I am very proud of Sara and Bernard. I am very proud of what Bernard did. Some people have money, but we had nothing for four-and-a-half years. My wife finished two degrees. I go to work and she study. We had no English, nothing. I believe in work hard, work hard and work healthy."

But in a sport world where tennis parents are notorious for their overbearing tendencies; John's behaviour has recently come under fire by tennis authorities.

His big mistake came when he ordered Bernard off the court in a second-round match at the Sorrento International Futures tournament in Perth.

He accused match officials of conspiring against Bernard and organisers of "fixing draws" before he pulled his son out of the event. John has since apologised for his behaviour.

"I am a father who wants the best in the world for my children. I realise that my actions have actually hurt my son, that hurts me deeply and I want to correct the situation, which is why I am fronting here to apologise without reservation," John said last month in Melbourne. "I apologise to

the Perth officials, to Tennis Australia, to our friends, sponsors and tennis fans and especially to my son."

John has not exerted the same level of guidance over Sara's development yet, as he is on the road six months of the year overseeing Bernard's career. Ady organises hitting partners for Sara and veteran coach Neil Guiney, who was Bernard's first coach, is helping her.

"She's going very well with Neil Guiney," John says. "He is coaching her two times a week. I am working with her a little bit, but it is Neil who is really helping me. Neil is very, very knowledgeable and he is a lovely person."

Lleyton Hewitt was 15 years and 11 months old when he qualified for the Australian Open. If Tennis Australia decids to give Tomic a wildcard for the slam, he will be 16 years, three months.

"It would be a great privilege if they gave him a wildcard," John says.

Bernard's performance in Brisbane will be vital to whether or not Tennis Australia will give him one, his manager Lawrence Frankopan says.

Off the court, Bernard is already raking in some big figures for a 16-year-old. At 12, after he had won four International Tennis Federation under-18 titles, Frankopan, of IMG in London, signed him for a six-figure sum. At 13, he had signed with Nike for a six-figure deal and now also has deals with hair-care brand Garnier and mobile phone maker Nokia. Sara could well take the same path. IMG is yet to sign her but is primed to. However, money is not driving the Tomics.

"Our target is not money," John says. "Money doesn't matter. Bernard understands that. I want him to enjoy the experience and use his ability the best he can. Tennis is a tough passion to have, and he wants to be successful. If he keeps committing to working hard, then I think he will make the top 10 in the world."

Until tennis takes over his life entirely, Bernard still has some time to practise with his sister.

"I hit with her whenever I get the chance," Bernard says. "Because she's normally got a hitting partner that Mum has organised for her and trains with her, I will hit with her whenever her hitting partner can't come."

And like any brother and sister they can rile each other a little.

"Because she's a little bit younger she can get on my nerves a little bit," Bernard says, laughing again. "But you've got to deal with that."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tennis/his-sister-has-sweet-deal-but-tomic-wants-an-open-wildcard-for-hisdessert/2009/01/01/1230681665355.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

CooCooCachoo
01-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the article :cool: Didn't know Bernard has a sister who has potential too.

It makes it sound as if Tomic only lost to Ebelthite and that is why he didn't advance in the play-offs though :o

aussie_fan
01-02-2009, 02:02 AM

That's exactly why Guccione should of got the WC, every time he has got one over the last few years in these tournaments, he has not wasted them and made 2 ATP tournament finals. He has proven of himself worthy and should be given a chance to defend all these points.

Why should younger players be given a chance if they aren't not even pulling decent results at future level when we have a proven Australian who has done well in the past and is still is a top 100 player.

Please tell me what result puts Tomic and Klein ahead of Guccione for a WC. A QF of an ATP tournament overseas, taking a set off Roddick, winning a round at the US Open and Cinnaniti plus a few decent high level challenger results. Wait... it was Guccione who did this.

If Tomic or Klein got close to winning the playoff, finals or winning future events (which basically are all australian players anyway), they only might eb considered in my opinion. Really these choice are based on overyhped media bullshit.

Experimentee
01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Another player who hasn't been mentioned is Sirianni, who made the SF of Adelaide in 2008 beating players like PHM. He should be given the opportunity to defend those points.

Granted his form is not as good as in early 2008, but he showed in the recent AO playoffs that even when not in his best form, he is still good enough to thrash Tomic 6-3 6-1.

FairWeatherFan
01-02-2009, 02:38 AM
That's exactly why Guccione should of got the WC, every time he has got one over the last few years in these tournaments, he has not wasted them and made 2 ATP tournament finals. He has proven of himself worthy and should be given a chance to defend all these points.

I definitely understand your argument but to me the fact that the Gooch has had success in the past with these wildcards is not necessarily a positive. Pattern for the Gooch the past few years: do well in some of the Aussie tournaments to get his ranking up and then do not much for the rest of the year. These Aussie wildcards are a prop for the Gooch at this stage, it's almost like they are a foundation for his career. Take away that and he is forced to earn better results elsewhere and improve as a player...

Why should younger players be given a chance if they aren't not even pulling decent results at future level when we have a proven Australian who has done well in the past and is still is a top 100 player.

Please tell me what result puts Tomic and Klein ahead of Guccione for a WC. A QF of an ATP tournament overseas, taking a set off Roddick, winning a round at the US Open and Cinnaniti plus a few decent high level challenger results. Wait... it was Guccione who did this.

Firstly, you cannot compare Gooch's achievements to that of Tomic and Klein, because they are so much younger.
Secondly, I can tell you what results arguably put Tomic ahead of Gooch. He is one of the most successful juniors tennis has seen. Yes, he is hyped by the media, but there is no doubt when you look at his record it is extremely impressive. Klein is a more questionable choice for me.
And the third key factor is of course youth. Gooch has had the benefit of many wildcards in the past which helped him develop him as a player. Time to pass on the opportunity to other, younger players, so they can improve and become an asset to Australian tennis.

CooCooCachoo
01-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Firstly, you cannot compare Gooch's achievements to that of Tomic and Klein, because they are so much younger.
Secondly, I can tell you what results arguably put Tomic ahead of Gooch. He is one of the most successful juniors tennis has seen. Yes, he is hyped by the media, but there is no doubt when you look at his record it is extremely impressive. Klein is a more questionable choice for me.
And the third key factor is of course youth. Gooch has had the benefit of many wildcards in the past which helped him develop him as a player. Time to pass on the opportunity to other, younger players, so they can improve and become an asset to Australian tennis.

Sounds to me like your first and third key factors are exactly the same ;)

Horatio Caine
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Another player who hasn't been mentioned is Sirianni, who made the SF of Adelaide in 2008 beating players like PHM. He should be given the opportunity to defend those points.

Granted his form is not as good as in early 2008, but he showed in the recent AO playoffs that even when not in his best form, he is still good enough to thrash Tomic 6-3 6-1.

No doubt he did well at this point last year, but he hasn't shown much since then...and, rightfully in this case, I think his age (34 in 2 weeks) should see his case for a WC thrown out, when there are several young, supposedly talented, prospects waiting in the wings.

By all means throw him a qualifying WC though.

CooCooCachoo
01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
No doubt he did well at this point last year, but he hasn't shown much since then...and, rightfully in this case, I think his age (34 in 2 weeks) should see his case for a WC thrown out, when there are several young, supposedly talented, prospects waiting in the wings.

By all means throw him a qualifying WC though.

I agree that Sirianni would not be a good choice for a MD WC. As for a QWC, he'd probably need one for Brisbane (we'll see in two hours or so), but he easily made the AO qualies cut.

aussie_fan
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM

A shame he doesn't get an opporunity but his form after that wasn't really good enough but his age as well, he shouldn't get one.

Tenys4ever
01-13-2009, 03:21 PM

Well Tomic is a year and a half younger at only 16 and he is ranked in the 700's and he also doesn't have the advantage of being anywhere near as tall as Verryth ...