Tommy didn't show in Doha [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tommy didn't show in Doha

Lugburz
12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Haas, Monfils get Doha wildcards

DOHA: Tommy Haas of Germany and Gael Monfils of France have been handed wildcards by the Qatar Tennis Federation ((QTF) for the season-opening tournament to be played in Doha early next month.

The Qatar ExxonMobil Open will be held at Khalifa Tennis Complex from January 5 to 11. Haas and Monfils join top guns Rafael Nadal of Spain and Roger Federer of Switzerland at the $1m event.

This was announced by Nasser Al Khulaifi, President of QTF, at a press briefing yesterday. Karim Alami, the tournament director, was also present.

Andy Roddick of the US and Andy Murray of Britain are also part of the 32-player main draw. The third wildcard has been given to Qatar’s Abdulla Al Haji by the organisers.

Thirty-year-old Haas, who has been struggling to bounce back to into the top ten, having achieved a career-high ranking of world number two in 2002, is currently ranked 82.

The high point of his campaign last season has been the semi-final at Washington and the quarter-finals of the ATP Masters Series Indian Wells in Indianpolis.

The German finished out of top 50 for just the second time in past 12 seasons following a comeback from shoulder surgery in November 2007.

He opened the season in February before reaching the quarter-finals at ATP Masters Series Indian Wells in Indianapolis.

Hass, who rates his achievement of winning the silver medal in singles in 2000 Sydney Olympics as his best, posted wins over Roddick in the second round in Indianapolis and then defeated Murray in the fourth round before withdrawing, prior to his quarter-final match against Federer with a sinus infection.

World number 14, Frenchman Monfils, finished in the top 20 for the first time and won a personal-high of 30 matches, while reaching his first Grand Slam semi-final at Roland Garros, where he lost to Federer.

He won his only title of the season in Marrakech and also lost in the Vienna event.

In the Olympics singles event he lost in the quarter-finals in Beijing and in the ATP Masters Series in Madrid, he failed to clear the last sixteen hurdle, while also reaching the semi-final at Nottingham and Bangkok events.

The ATP International Series event, will be contested by a field of 32 players in the singles event and 16 teams will vie for the top honours in the doubles.

<Eve>
12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
This is good news :D Auf geht's Tommy!!!!!! So only 2 weeks and we will see Tommy in action again :woohoo: I hope this will be an injury-free year :angel:

Lugburz
12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
This is good news :D Auf geht's Tommy!!!!!! So only 2 weeks and we will see Tommy in action again :woohoo: I hope this will be an injury-free year :angel:

Yeah and hope to see him n 2weeks ,fingers crossed even with this great news...

el tenista
12-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Great news!!! Tommy will play in 2 weeks! Live on TV! Come on, this is awesome!!!

el tenista
12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
The tournament is now laid down in his schedule on his website :)

Lugburz
12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
The tournament is now laid down in his schedule on his website :)

yeah one of the biggest improvements for the site.I am thrilled that we are now able to see his future events ;)

Now I guess it is just a matter of time when the Memphis and Delray(and AO of course) events will be on that list :yeah:

Yappa
12-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Nice christmas present. Hope to see him there.

el tenista
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
The draw will be published tomorrow!!! :)

Alexiana
01-02-2009, 06:29 PM
I think Doha will be shown on Eurosport in Germany. Am I right? Tommy on TV...wohoooo:worship:

el tenista
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, on Eurosport and Eurosport 2.

Alexiana
01-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Bad news! The webmaster of Tommys HP just wrote in the forum Unfortunately Tommy cannot participate in the tournament in Doha yet, but he still hopes for the Australien Open.

Why does it always have to be Tommy :( Let's hope for the AO

Lugburz
01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
As always it has to be late news :rolleyes: I mean if this was expected why they didn't inform us on time...Only couple of hours before the main draw :(

Tommy fan
01-03-2009, 03:47 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

What are the chances we'll see him in AO? :sad:

kiwi10is
01-03-2009, 03:56 PM
As always it has to be late news :rolleyes: I mean if this was expected why they didn't inform us on time...Only couple of hours before the main draw :(

I think it was pretty much in time because Arnaud Clement got the wildcard and he didn't sign in for qualies so he must have had the news yesterday already ;)

sad for Tommy..

Lugburz
01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah I guess...But still I would like that to be at least 3 days before the main draw is chosen ...But anyway Tommy said earlier in his interview that he's focused on AO,so I spouse except that he had been given the WC,this ain't that unexpected after all :rolleyes:

kiwi10is
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
comming back after 5 months at a Grand Slam with best of 5 matches sounds not very clever to me:confused:

TommyB.
01-03-2009, 05:37 PM
good news :o

I think he should start his comeback in San Jose. It doesn't make sense to play a GS without any match time.

kiwi10is
01-03-2009, 06:03 PM
his last match was 27th August so he would get protected ranking from 27th February on. So he should wait until Indian Wells in my opinion. Comming back at a Masters Series is not too good, too but he'd have the security of a protected ranking for the rest of this season.
If he cannot play the Australian Open it doesn't matter much to wait one more month, does it?

TommyB.
01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
PR would be nice...but I think he won't skip his favorite US tournaments (SJ/Memphis/Delray). And Tommy should get some wildcards for the rest of the season, if necessary.

Lugburz
01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
his last match was 27th August so he would get protected ranking from 27th February on. So he should wait until Indian Wells in my opinion. Comming back at a Masters Series is not too good, too but he'd have the security of a protected ranking for the rest of this season.
If he cannot play the Australian Open it doesn't matter much to wait one more month, does it?

Well said...
Again,it would be great if he can manage to play AO,and if not,it's good again for his PR...
I agree with Tommy_B ,and really doubt that Tommy will skip his fave tours just because the PR...
But hey,let's all wait and see....for sure we are all kinda used to it here :)

kiwi10is
01-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Tommy should get some wildcards for the rest of the season, if necessary.

there are other big names who need to ask for wildcards, too. Hewitt,Baghdatis and Canas for example. For the US tournaments maybe also Isner or Dent...
Protected Ranking would be a lot better than begging for wildcards everywhere

TommyB.
01-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Tommy will play Melbourne according to "Bild am Sonntag". He has still problems with his ellbow, that's the reason for his withdrawal in Doha.

kiwi10is
01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
yes and he says he wants to take painkillers to be able to play there if necessary
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/04012009/73/australian-open-haas-zaehne-zusammenbeissen.html
:banghead:
I hope he will not destroy what took months to heal...
well... good luck anyway

Lugburz
01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
yes and he says he wants to take painkillers to be able to play there if necessary
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/04012009/73/australian-open-haas-zaehne-zusammenbeissen.html
:banghead:
I hope he will not destroy what took months to heal...
well... good luck anyway

Well,don't know what to say on this actually....
But I hope Tommy knows the best what's good for him...I really can see him that he is hungry for Melbourne,so I guess if he feels OK and as he said can be ''reasonably fit'' than I spouse we can see him play again...
About the protected ranking,I am not sure that Tommy even thinks of it atm...As he said that his goal ain't the ranking but to win some tournament...

01-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Gee I thought his problem was his shoulder.
The last I heard was it was thought that the shoulder was causing problems down to the elbow. Or did he actually hurt his elbow :confused: