2008 MTF Popularity Contest. Awards ceremony inside [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2008 MTF Popularity Contest. Awards ceremony inside

Naranoc
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Congratulations to Genci for the win, and Voo for making the final :yeah:.

So the main function of the contest has been fulfilled - to pass away the moments of boredom in the off-season, and it's mainly just been seen as a bit of fun. We've highlighted some of the more amusing moments in the contest, including 'online backstabbings', which added to the drama, plus there are a few awards to be given out to select members :hatoff:.

Thanks to everyone for taking part and voting, and to SloKid, Peta Pan and Denaon for assisting with the running of the contest. Have a great holiday :wavey:.

Additional awards

* The Mr. Disney award for management goes to Nathaliia and Naranoc.
* The Mae award for unwavering commitment to vCash goes to LinkMage.
* The Jogy award for reasoning behind votes goes to its.like.that.
* The kostas kastoria appreciation award for discovery of the innucent goes to Troickitard.
* The JolanGago award for most vocal and persistent critic goes to Scotso.
* The CmonAussie award for a failed leaving declaration goes to the biscuit.
* The hitchhiker award for funniest edited image goes to Bachelor Dandy.
* The FiBeR award for an unrelenting campaign goes to Pfloyd.
* The Jaap award for fixed match of the tournament goes to the R4 clash: scarecrows vs. TMJordan.
* The Rafa=Fed Killa reverse psychology award for underrating her chances before every round goes to Betty.
* The HeretiC 'let me out of the draw' award goes to Kitty de Sade.
* The Drama Llama award is shared between the Attention Seekers and the Nadal chat thread.
* The Bilbo 'never in doubt' award goes to the winner, scarecrows.
* The GlennMirnyi 'bah humbug, contest' award goes to Bad Gambler (for thinking he'd lost to Pfloyd when he'd actually made the semis).

Top 5 failures of the contest

5) Nathaliia and Naranoc found themselves debating how to finish the first round as quickly as possible - four days after the main thread had been opened. Matters were not helped when PMK is Innocent decided to step in and offer some of his experience as ACC director, suggesting that all quarters should be played at once. Naranoc approved, leading Nathaliia to remind her that PMK was not actually part of the committee. Meanwhile, JolanGago cattily pointed out that the number of allowed postal votes had gone from zero to five to ten in a matter of minutes, while Scotso decided to helpfully remind everyone that 'There are more than ten hours in a day', in a bid to allow every active member of MTF to vote. The contest was not off to a good start.

4) The penalty shootouts often ended up in complete chaos (to the embarassment of the organisers). A false start - 3 minutes before the end of the match - was annouced for the penalties between Stupid Dream and Mister Q, leading to an early influx of votes which then had to be cancelled. Disapproving comments from bystanders followed, with SloKid claiming that "Jenni is ruining the competition". jayjay later hinted that the penalties may have been fixed (in light of his own loss to Nikki). "It's almost as if everyone was "in position" LinkMage starting a match result thread-like, to bullet those penalties past my keeper." he said, exhibiting a rare glimpse of online emotion.

3) The contest became an official failure when SloKid, a respected MTF administrator, was unable to stick to his duties and unlock the QF thread in time. It remained inaccessible for half an hour after the round was supposed to begin, which meant that, once again, PMK decided to take matters into his own hands and open up another thread. SloKid soon arrived on the scene and apologised for his forgetfulness, before casually merging both together into one, locked thread (just as he was on his way out).

2) After the first round, both organisers struggled when attempting to sort out the later parts of the draw. In one instance, Voo de Mar pointed out that NYCTennisFan had replaced Fonsie's rightful place in the draw. It was a complete coincidence that later on in the evening, Truc was in the draw in place of Voo de Mar - and unfortunately, the matches had then started. There were more hysterics in the thread, and an announcement was made for voters to go back and review one of their picks. These mistakes proved to be fatal later on, as one poster voted against Naranoc in the QF, claiming that a penalty point was needed for the "messy organisation".

1) The making (and rigging) of the draw. The utter inexperience of the organisers meant that the draw ceremony lasted for six hours. Nathaliia revealed in one of the many PMs that were exchanged that "The only thing I know about seeds is that 1 is on top and 2 in the bottom", and Naranoc was responsible for placing Manon and Betty twice in the draw and leaving out a number of posters, notably ryan23 and marr. Matches that were supposed to take place, such as Xristos vs. its.like.that, never got round to happening, and complaints are still coming in from friends who wanted to play against lesser-known opponents.

The top 10 backstabbings of the contest.

10. Action Jackson constantly voting against tennizen. She called it unfair, and he replied she had her chat for help. She lost to Henry Chinaski and no thread helped her.

9. Gustavo_M Fan had an easy match against music lover Cornholio, but still called scarecrows and Denaon (the one who nominated Cornholio) traitors and demanded explanations.

8. Corey Feldman for voting Nathaliia over fellow Scottish and thread mate adee-gee. Probably the most unexpected vote of Round of 16.

7. Jolan Gago for voting FiBeR instead of ExcaliburII in the "saint battle of Argies" despite previously promising otherwise, to which Excalibur replied with a bad rep "for changing your vote"

6. virex for voting Nathaliia over Troickitard in a close match. Virex has known and chatted with Troickitard for a longer time, while he barely knows Nathaliia. Troickitard said she didn't care, but she spoke about it in two threads instead of ignoring the issue.

5. Ljubica voted for Merton in the 2nd round over Corey Feldman and stated the following as her reason:

"Sensible, mature, intelligent and knowledgable poster and doesn't throw tantrums if people don't vote for him. CF will win anyway."

Corey Feldman considered it as a massive stab, just like Nina's abstaining from voting for him. When Nina was to face tennizen next, Corey asked for votes for tennizen. He himself kept backstabbing scarecrows, one of the very few people who chatted to him on tennisforum.com while he was "under arrest" (banned on MTF).

4. P.Antonius betrayed by his several friends for v-cash against Pfloyd. After he miserably lost against the temptations of virtual money, he made a "black list" in his signature, which included for the longest Snoo Foo, Scarecrows and Scoobs.

3. Clydey lost a match to Snoo Foo thanks to the vote of finishingmove, his good friend and a fellow from Attention Seekers, with whom he goes together to ramble in the Nadal chat thread. Finishingmove was accused of wearing lipgloss after this match by many posters.

2. Nathaliia for casting a "pity vote" to TMJordan against her real life and long time darling, scarecrows. This is how scarecrows reacted

and thanks to Nathi, Jordan is back in the lead :worship:

[10] Nathaliia vs. the biscuit - some of own medicine :ras:

also upset with Gustavo_M Fan:

your vote gave win to TMJordan, nai
i voted you against him
you are baser.period

TMJordan initially won his match by one vote, a Nathaliia's vote. Later mods discovered multiple accounts of one member who among other posters voted for TMJordan, and scarecrows won. People said Nathaliia would find the way to push her darling into the next round anyway, and TMJordan kept voting against her till the semifinal, where she lost to the joy of many MTF'ers.

1. Don Vito de Corleone "Family First" award goes to Gulzhan for the following rant.

adee-gee -- family comes first, Adam :hug: ouf, I paid Adam all my debts :p

That is HUGE typo! :eek:

Please change it to Nathaliia!

Stupid mother :smash: got all nervous about serious match baby-daughter is going through :lol: I am very sorry and I hope you understand, please!

Changing votes is against the rules

But it's not a change of vote. You can see that from my comment! I said "family" and Adam is not my family... yet :tape: Comon, it's typo! What mother would vote against her child? :mad: Maybe only Kournikova

not allowed, epic thing Gulzhan, better than my yesterday vote against Genci because then I really wanted it, and here you didn't.

writing adee-gee instead of Nathaliia is indeed a huge typo :D

I disagree! :mad: I demand appeallation! Who do I submit my petition to? :armed:

I know Gulzhan, but when in doubt, it's against a tournament organizer. I can't babble about fair play for 10 days and when it comes to what, change a vote in my favour. I can't.

At the same time in Attention Seekers thread:

I had to vote against George :crying2: and Betty :crying2: and against Adam :crying2: Downside of liking too many people

Genci, you made a great come-back, congrats!

you voted against Nathi

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7914370&postcount=30

yep. i am an idiot :banghead:

Nathii, baby, i just came home from work and was still hungry when i made the post! :crying2: please, change the stats, i am begging! i hope it's permitted, no?

Bilbo
12-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I should receive an award for having the worst possible draw :o

tennizen
12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
:lol: Good write up and good job girls:D:yeah:. Although the "Mikey complaint" has been left out that too many voters were from Nathi's thread;)

TMJordan
12-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Naranoc number 1 backstabber.

I_mac number 2.

Damn British.

Johnny Groove
12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Seems like the contest went by smoothly, considering it was on MTF :yeah:

tennizen
12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
It should also be noted that George voted against most people in the Rafa chat thread:( Why does he post there if he doesn't like us:bigcry:

Pfloyd
12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Yay, I won something!

Thanks girls! :D

Nathaliia
12-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Jenni, now I've noticed a fail. Rototito was out of the draw. Ryan23 was in the draw twice.

Looks like even the award ceremony is bugged :o

cobalt60
12-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Great write up :yeah:
Wish I had been around for some of the earlier match ups. Seems I missed a good laugh. Could have used one.

gulzhan
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I got Don Vito de Corleone award :woohoo: Too bad I did not make a typo in Nathii's match against Voo :o :lol:

Naranoc
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Jenni, now I've noticed a fail. Rototito was out of the draw. Ryan23 was in the draw twice.

Looks like even the award ceremony is bugged :o

:lol:

How appropriate. Even the thread celebrating our failures is a failure :D. I think I'll leave the mistakes.

bad gambler
12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the PM Nathii :lol:

Nathaliia
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
The fact of Linda backstabbing Jordan (after she promised a vote against Genci) and then Jordan voting for Rosie and Linda saying "Jordan is dead to me" gets a special "adee-gee and silverwhite" friendship award

Kitty de Sade
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Getting out of it didn't help me one goddamn bit in the end, but I am happy to accept. :p

Very nice job to both Nathii and Jenni, fails, lunacy and assorted other things. Bien hecho. :hatoff:

Bilbo
12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
excellent contest and organization by both nathii and jenni :yeah:

jonathancrane
12-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I want to thank the couple in charge of this contest for the great job done

:hatoff:

http://www.univie.ac.at/Anglistik/easyrider/data/graphics/ThelmaLouise.jpg

the biscuit
12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
My award, Nathii & Jenni.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/shousostrip/GGGIFS/blaireyeroll.gif

:o

But :yeah: for running this hectic competition. :D

Nathaliia
12-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice words... yes Prabu, I was *sure* you didn't know about your run in this contest :lol:

Bilbo should get an award for the least whiny R1 loser :awww:

apple123
12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
look like I missed some great fun. Still have a good laugh from the sum-up

l_mac
12-22-2008, 11:57 PM
It should also be noted that George voted against most people in the Rafa chat thread:( Why does he post there if he doesn't like us:bigcry:
He voted against the people he doesn't like from the thread. That would be me, Cheryl and you. :lol:

Georgie :kiss: :worship:

its.like.that
12-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Scarecrows stud value has just gone through the roof.

Snoo Foo
12-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Where the fuck is Gonzalo's award for single-handedly making this thing interesting?

Garson007
12-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Wooden spoon?

LinkMage
12-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Where the fuck is Gonzalo's award for single-handedly making this thing interesting?

:worship:

Glad to know you were entertained by me. :D

LinkMage
12-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Many thanks to the organizers Jenni and Nathii! :)

Hope you rig the draw better next year, though. :D :p

Fee
12-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks for running the contest, Nathii and Jenni. It was just like being back in high school, but without the acne. :)

(and thanks again for the quote Nathii :lol: )

Johnny Groove
12-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Wooden spoon to marcRD who lost to Rogifan88 who lost to Slokid who lost to shotgun who lost to fast clay who lost to Troickitard who lost to Nathii who lost to Voo who lost to Genci

:wavey:

Henry Chinaski
12-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Nice spot. That marcRD is a very good poster in GM though it has to be said.

I'd like to nominate myself for the Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo "last 16, WTF?" award,

and obvious props to Nat and J for running this. It's certainly been fun.

finishingmove
12-23-2008, 05:17 AM
:worship:

leng jai
12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
What a faulty contest. Never in doubt.

Peta Pan
12-23-2008, 09:19 AM
:lol: Love the write up and awards, gave me a nice laugh after a miserable day :yeah:

Good work on the contest girls (and the failures just added to the entertainment value ;))

leng jai
12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats a quality avatar.

Nathaliia
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Nice spot. That marcRD is a very good poster in GM though it has to be said.

I'd like to nominate myself for the Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo "last 16, WTF?" award,

and obvious props to Nat and J for running this. It's certainly been fun.
Your words have more power than RRH's backhand; I think you got enough of recognition thanks to this contest also outside of GM and the Lounge; losing to an eventual winner doesn't bring shame!

JolánGagó
12-23-2008, 11:37 AM
It's been fun. Thanks Nathii and Jenni :yeah:

*Ljubica*
12-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Nathii and Jenni for the fun :)

HeretiC
12-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Looks like I missed quite a lot of fun lately :sad: I am so sad that my professional obligations kept me away from MTF in the past month. Very happy to see you guys had a good times in this competition. I read a lot of good and nice comments about fellow posters which gave me hope that not everything here is based on hate. Congrats to the winner, organizers and tothe winners of other awards.:bigclap: I was honored to be selected to give an award to Kitty: here it is a moment from it for those who missed the ceremony.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/03-31-brody-inside.jpg

Nathaliia
12-23-2008, 01:36 PM
I even nominated you for this contest, hoping you would be around and remembering your feelings for the ACC :angel: A kiss for Kitty must be an award enough :p

Betty
12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
wow wonderful kiss:apèlot:where is kelli:angel:

great staff nathy and jenni:)

nice award for me :haha: R=FK will kiss me:bolt:j/k:p

martine2
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
:p the MTF repping system sucks....

Kitty de Sade
12-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Looks like I missed quite a lot of fun lately :sad: I am so sad that my professional obligations kept me away from MTF in the past month. Very happy to see you guys had a good times in this competition. I read a lot of good and nice comments about fellow posters which gave me hope that not everything here is based on hate. Congrats to the winner, organizers and tothe winners of other awards.:bigclap: I was honored to be selected to give an award to Kitty: here it is a moment from it for those who missed the ceremony.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/03-31-brody-inside.jpg

:haha: :worship:

I even nominated you for this contest, hoping you would be around and remembering your feelings for the ACC :angel: A kiss for Kitty must be an award enough :p

:lol:

In case you are not around later, happy holidays/New Year Nathii. :smooch:

Voo de Mar
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
* The hitchhiker award for funniest edited image goes to Bachelor Dandy.

This award should've got also jonathancrane for "Preparing to vote (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7925808&postcount=158502)" (aka een onderkruiper in actie) :worship:

:rolls:

HeretiC
12-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Yeah me too, but you know how work can sometimes get over your head. :o It was really shameful from me that I did not contribute especially considering my strong PRO feelings about positive contests and contra negative ones. But there is always next year...