Language question [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Language question

Farenhajt
12-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm translating something (from English), and the characters are playing some tennis, and to picture this classic British tennis club atmosphere, they're using this sentence: "Have it again, old chap" - but I can't figure what's to be had again. Can some Brits help? Thanks.

Naranoc
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
The tennis ball, probably. It's now been passed on to the other side for them to deal with, if that makes sense.

Corey Feldman
12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
i know...

maybe it was a close fault or let or something

and the guy is saying like... just have another serve/whatever shot, instead of disputing it

buddyholly
12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Take two!

Naranoc
12-20-2008, 12:20 PM
i know...

and the guy is saying like... just have another serve/whatever shot, instead of disputing it

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

Farenhajt
12-20-2008, 12:22 PM

That might make sense, since the broader point of the passage is sportsmanship, being a gentleman, blah blah. (I.e. the opp is conceding a let instead of claiming a fault.) Thanks.

Bascule
12-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm translating something (from English), and the characters are playing some tennis, and to picture this classic British tennis club atmosphere, they're using this sentence: "Have it again, old chap" - but I can't figure what's to be had again. Can some Brits help? Thanks.

:lol:
I can't believe you actually came for help, I bet this was some kind of provocation. You didn't mention what kind of literature you are translating.;)

«Ivan»
12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
bascule,there's no need to be so mean?

Bascule
12-20-2008, 04:27 PM
bascule,there's no need to be so mean?

Of course, Chooper, don't worry, Faren is my old pal.:)

Henry Chinaski
12-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Farenhajt is back so I'm guessing the story ends with Djokovic storming onto the court and handing the old British chaps a double bagel..