Who Is The Best American and Russian Prospects? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who Is The Best American and Russian Prospects?

HattonWBA
12-19-2008, 08:58 PM
I was just wondering who you guys think is the best up and coming american and russian players.

Americas Candidates - Jesse Levine(Strength - Movement)(weakness - Weight of shot and ability to hit winners)
Donald Young (Strength - variety and pure talent)(Weakness - weight of shot at the moment and how he handles the pressure and expectations)
Sam Querrey (Strength - serve and forehand)(weakness - movement and defensive play)
John Isner (Strength - Guess? LOL - serve)(weakness - everything apart from serve)

Russian Candidates - Evgeny Korolev - (strength - backhand and power of the ground)(weakness - inconsistency and defensive play)
Evgeny Donskoy (strength - serve and forehand)(weakness - backhand and volleys)
Alexandre kudratysev (strength - weight of shot and groundstrokes)(weaknesses - tactics and defense)
Andrey Golubev - i know hes not russian but still

CooCooCachoo
12-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Donskoy seems extremely promising, judging from his latest results. I haven't seen the guy play, but am really eager to see him.

Levine is someone whose consistency and shot-making has really impressed me, but you are right in saying his lack of power and the concomitant inability to blast his opponents off the court will really hamper his progress. I don't expect much more than Top 50 for him, but his career should definitely be better than the state it is in now.

Querrey and Isner have the potential to stay in the Top 100 for a long time. They will suffer many losses, but their serves can sustain them through the odd deep runs in hardcourt events (and grass, perhaps). Unfortunately the ranking system has an in-built bias towards one-hit wonders while disfavouring relative consistency.

As for Golubev, I think he's great fun to watch, but his game style is not suitable for consistency on the ATP Tour. Kudryavtsev I don't see progressing beyond Challenger level.

CooCooCachoo
12-19-2008, 09:27 PM
My votes go to Young and Donskoy, by the way. But it must be understood that the vote for Donskoy is not based on any real-life impressions.

Michael Bluth
12-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Russia has Ilya Belyaev too. He's younger and currently higher ranked than Donskoy.

Henry Chinaski
12-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Querrey and Isner have the potential to stay in the Top 100 for a long time. They will suffer many losses, but their serves can sustain them through the odd deep runs in hardcourt events (and grass, perhaps). Unfortunately the ranking system has an in-built bias towards one-hit wonders while disfavouring relative consistency.

Unfair on Querrey to lump him in with Isner like that. Querrey should stay top 60 and pick up a few more MM US hardcourt titles over the years. His hardcourt slam results were solid too and he should be capable of the occasional run to the last 16 especially at home. It'll also be interesting to see if his MC qf was a fluke.
I think he's the favourite to have the best career on the list. He seems to get skinnier every time I see him too which should help with his shithouse fitness and movement. He's never going to be anywhere close to top 10 or a slam winner but all the others are still nothing more than potential on the main tour (give or take the odd shock run to a MM final)

Isner is relying on Challengers and Wild Cards to even get back in the top 100.

shotgun
12-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Kudryavtsev is 23 years old and has never been ranked inside the top 150, I wouldn't consider him a good prospect. Belyaev should be on the list instead.

HattonWBA
12-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Russia has Ilya Belyaev too. He's younger and currently higher ranked than Donskoy.

Belyaev only plays doubles im refering to singles players. Ok he may become a very good singles player but he has only ever played doubles in futures tournaments

CooCooCachoo
12-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Unfair on Querrey to lump him in with Isner like that. Querrey should stay top 60 and pick up a few more MM US hardcourt titles over the years. His hardcourt slam results were solid too and he should be capable of the occasional run to the last 16 especially at home. It'll also be interesting to see if his MC qf was a fluke.
I think he's the favourite to have the best career on the list. He seems to get skinnier every time I see him too which should help with his shithouse fitness and movement. He's never going to be anywhere close to top 10 or a slam winner but all the others are still nothing more than potential on the main tour (give or take the odd shock run to a MM final)

Isner is relying on Challengers and Wild Cards to even get back in the top 100.

I'll grant that Querrey is less one-dimensional, but still I think he's prone to inconsistency with his game; there will be great highs, but many deep lows as well. He is simply not rounded enough to be a consistent threat, even if his ranking might be somewhat consistent.

CooCooCachoo
12-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Belyaev only plays doubles im refering to singles players. Ok he may become a very good singles player but he has only ever played doubles in futures tournaments

This is simply false.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/activity.asp?player=100041736

jonathancrane
12-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I pick Korolev. Donald Young has more potential, but his game isn't as solid.

HattonWBA
12-19-2008, 10:43 PM
This is simply false.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/activity.asp?player=100041736

YH, Your correct actually, i apolagise. I went on his ATP tennis playing activity but i did not relise i had clicked for his doubke results, yh i could have put him on the list

Chip_s_m
12-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't know anything about the Russian players, but I've seen each of the Americans play.

Querrey I can see actually entering the top 10 at some point if he polishes up his game and starts to really believe he belongs there. He has such an imposing game that he can compete with anyone if he's playing well. However, I think he's still getting used to being a pro, although he is beginning to show that he is no longer content with just playing at the ATP level. I think we're going to see him be hungrier, more motivated, and less mellow in 2009. He's been working on his movement, which is great, but I'd really like to see him improve his volleys. Being able to successfully follow one of those strong serves or forehands to the net would be a huge advantage, preventing his opponents from being able to work their way back into a point and put Querrey on the defensive, which won't consistently end well for him. My guess is that we'll see him move into the top 30 in 2009 and that he'll float around the 10-30 range for most of his career.

Levine needs to bulk up, plain and simple. He'll never compete for slams, but there's no reason that he can't get inside the top 50. His play style is a mix between Nieminen and a physically weaker version of Hewitt, and he'll be helped by the fact that he can play well on both fast and slow surfaces. However, as with most counter-punchers, with some muscle he'll be able to dictate points better. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a career like Nieminen, performing consistently and floating around between 15 and 50 in the rankings. However, he's never going to have a huge weapon to rely on.

I don't know what to think about Isner. He showed some real promise last year but really sucked in 2008. His success relies almost completely on his ability to serve well, and like Karlovic it may take a while to become mature enough to understand when/where he must focus and to handle the pressure of having to do one thing very well. He dealt with that very well when he first went pro, but I think in 2008 the pressure and expectations got to him. As a result, his ability to rely on his serve declined, hence the worse results. Also, his ground game is terrible (in case you didn't know :p). He's going to have to serve and volley on almost every serve, which I'm not sure he did this year (he did it a ton in the summer of 2007). I watched him play Andreas Beck in the USO 1st round and he did it maybe a quarter of the time. As a result, he was facing a ton of pressure during his service games. He can't play like that and expect to do well. He'll probably consistently remain in the top 100, but I can't see him making it to the second week of slams very often.

Young has all sorts of talent, but like Levine he needs to put on some muscle. Plus he needs to mature. That's pretty much it with him. He's way to streaky right now to do anything spectacular in a slam, but if he matures and bulks up I could eventually see him competing for slams. He gets a lot of criticism around MTF (and in general, but especially on MTF) for being a headcase and being a waste of talent. However, once he matures a little I think this will change. He's still very young, so it'd be stupid to write him off as a top player this early (the only player younger than him who is ranked higher is Nishikori).

kai.
12-20-2008, 07:12 AM
I saw the game of young, levine and isner.
i think than young needs to work more in his head.
and levine needs to work in all his game + head
so well i vote for isner XD
also he have good skills to be a doubles player ;)

Venle
12-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Korolev and Donskoy.

I saw them playing against each other, they've got potential. :)

DartMarcus
12-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Querrey`s caree high rank will be No.8, Levine`s - something near top 20, Isner`s - near top 30, Young`s - from top 10 to top 50, very difficult to predict!
As for russians, Korolev could be some sort of new Youzhny, Golubev could reach top 50. Dont know a lot about Donskoy. Kudryavstsev can become a top-30 doubles player.

CooCooCachoo
12-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Apparently it's Levine vs. Isner for the USTA WC for the Australian Open :wavey:

~*BGT*~
12-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I think you are just starting threads to have Evgeny mentioned. :lol: But I choose Sam and he. :)