Message to all posters in the UK [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Message to all posters in the UK

jazar
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Yo everyone in the UK.

Please download Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah so that Alexandra Burke from the vile and disgusting musical crap factory that is X Factor does not get the Xmas number 1 with her soulless and dull version of a classic song.

http://www.7digital.com/artists/jeff-buckley/hallelujah-1/

Naranoc
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Impossible. It's already been the fastest song to be downloaded ever, so it's going to get to no.1 whether people like or not.

SloKid
12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
What she did is a total butchering, a total disgrace that they picked a song like that for her. Appalling. :(

I've seen an interview she did and she didn't even know the song before she sang it. :retard:

buddyholly
12-19-2008, 08:29 PM
it's going to get to no.1 whether people like or not.

:lol:

Henry Chinaski
12-19-2008, 08:33 PM
screw Buckley. It ain't his song either.

Haven't heard the X-idol girl's version and don't plan to.

jazar
12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Impossible. It's already been the fastest song to be downloaded ever, so it's going to get to no.1 whether people like or not.

jeff buckley's version has already been downlaoded more than 100,000 times. theres still a chance.

What she did is a total butchering, a total disgrace that they picked a song like that for her. Appalling. :(

I've seen an interview she did and she didn't even know the song before she sang it. :retard:

:worship: :worship: :worship: my sentiments exactly. :worship: :worship: :worship:

speaking as a musician i can honestly say jeff buckley's version is better than the original and is the definitive version of the song

Henry Chinaski
12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
speaking as a musician, I've never even heard the original but Jeff Buckley both bores and depresses me and I couldn't give a rat's ass who gets the Christmas number 1. Don't see why it would matter to anyone really though the owners of Buckley's estate (and Sony) must be laughing all the way to the bank.

jazar
12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

buddyholly
12-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Haven't heard the X-idol girl's version and don't plan to.

You should. She was good - way above the quality of anything I have seen on American Idol.

YouTube is not allowed to show the Buckley version, so I can't comment on that.

But the real irony here is that the only reason the Buckley's version is popular at the moment is that it was sung on America Idol last March.

And from what I read on Wickipedia it is funny that the top Xmas song apparently is an ode to the orgasm.

jazar
12-19-2008, 08:56 PM
You should. She was good - way above the quality of anything I have seen on American Idol.

she is not good. her voice is nothing special. there are thousands of people out there with more talent than her. the world does not need her.

buddyholly
12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Just found the Buckley version on Youtube. Boring!!!!!! If the song is really about orgasm, Buckley was shooting blanks, whereas Alexandra had multiple orgasms.

Richard_from_Cal
12-19-2008, 09:58 PM

YouTube is not allowed to show the Buckley version, so I can't comment on that.

But the real irony here is that the only reason the Buckley's version is popular at the moment is that it was sung on America Idol last March.

And from what I read on Wickipedia it is funny that the top Xmas song apparently is an ode to the orgasm.

Thanks for making me look. Again.

Leonard Cohen's song has been covered 170 times for release! While what Mr. Buckley may have been thinking about ...well, I'm just gonna have to appreciate Mr. Cohen's version most!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_(Leonard_Cohen_song)

adee-gee
12-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Just a truly brilliant thread, well done jazar.

A plea to British posters on MTF is sure to be enough to stop one of fastest selling songs we've had in this country from reaching #1. I wish you all the very best of luck with your campaign, though obviously you won't need it :hatoff:

And for the record, Alexandra has more talent in her left thumb than you do in your entire body. Hope this helps.

buddyholly
12-19-2008, 11:34 PM
You can't fault the music industry for recruiting innocent dupes to up their sales.

cath777
12-19-2008, 11:43 PM
I love the Jeff Buckley version, and have still to listen to the Burke version, but I don't care who gets no. 1 as long a Leonard Cohen wins.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/48207/Leonard-Cohen-Set-For-Million-Pound-X-Factor-Windfall

Leonard Cohen Set For Million Pound X Factor Windfall
In royalties...

by Jason Gregory
Monday, December 15, 2008
Photo by: WENN

Londoner Alexandra Burke may have walked away with the title on Saturday night, but veteran Leonard Cohen looks set to emerge as the real winner of this year's X Factor.

The singer is set to earn £1million in royalties after his 1984 song, 'Hallelujah', was chosen to be the winner's first official single.

Burke's cover of the song, which was released at midnight on Saturday, is expected to race to number one this week on digital-download sales alone.

The royalties cheque will be a welcome one for Cohen. The 74-year-old has spent much of 2008 touring in order to recuperate the loss of his $10million retirement fund.

Cohen, who is reported to have earned £5million alone from two UK tours this year, was plunged into financial difficulties three years ago after his former manager allegedly misappropriated his earnings.

Cohen's 'Hallelujah' has been covered by a host of artists over the years, including Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley

reggie1
12-20-2008, 09:49 PM
As long as it's not "Same Difference" I'm not bothered!

adee-gee
12-21-2008, 11:29 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/7794709.stm

Burke's Hallelujah became the fastest-selling single by a female solo artist, with 576,000 copies sold.

Nice try jazar :hug:

rocketassist
12-22-2008, 01:11 AM
X Factor is completely manufactured and has totally rended the Xmas No 1 a pointless thing. It used to be one of the biggest prizes for musicians, now it's a farce.

jazar
12-22-2008, 06:48 AM
all i can say is there are 576,000 complete tasteless idiots out there

adee-gee
12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Probably more when you add in the number of people who like the 'Tartan Twat', no? :D

Alexandra outsold the rest of the top 20 combined :lol:

leng jai
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
This thread changed my life.

(for the better)

jazar
12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Probably more when you add in the number of people who like the 'Tartan Twat', no? :D

well pointed out :p

Richard_from_Cal
12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I love the Jeff Buckley version, and have still to listen to the Burke version, but I don't care who gets no. 1 as long a Leonard Cohen wins.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/48207/Leonard-Cohen-Set-For-Million-Pound-X-Factor-Windfall

Leonard Cohen Set For Million Pound X Factor Windfall
In royalties...

by Jason Gregory
Monday, December 15, 2008
Photo by: WENN

Londoner Alexandra Burke may have walked away with the title on Saturday night, but veteran Leonard Cohen looks set to emerge as the real winner of this year's X Factor.

The singer is set to earn £1million in royalties after his 1984 song, 'Hallelujah', was chosen to be the winner's first official single.

Burke's cover of the song, which was released at midnight on Saturday, is expected to race to number one this week on digital-download sales alone.

The royalties cheque will be a welcome one for Cohen. The 74-year-old has spent much of 2008 touring in order to recuperate the loss of his $10million retirement fund.

Cohen, who is reported to have earned £5million alone from two UK tours this year, was plunged into financial difficulties three years ago after his former manager allegedly misappropriated his earnings.

Cohen's 'Hallelujah' has been covered by a host of artists over the years, including Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley

This KEEPS happening. Dannion Brinkley vis-a-vis Billy Joel, the late Harry Nilsson and his manager...:mad: