Who is Better Gilles Simon or Jo Wilfried Tsonga? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is Better Gilles Simon or Jo Wilfried Tsonga?

HattonWBA
12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
In my Opinion this is a tough one, based on the fact that they are so contrasting, up until a month ago i was saying Simon and backing him on the point that he had done better in masters series and took all the big scalps including Tsonga, however Tsonga has of course reached a final of a slam and now won a masters series.

Forehand - Tsonga
Backhand - Simon
Net Play and Volleys - Tsonga
Movement and positioning - Simon
Serve - Tsonga
Attacking play and agression - Tsonga
Defensive play and tactically know how - Simon
Physical conmditioninng and mental strengthy - Simon

I would say Tsonga is better now but this is a tough one to call in my opinion

Nathaliia
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
One thing is sure, Tsonga has more fans than Simon on MTF so in this department he is better, never in doubt.

Action Jackson
12-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Just Cause's relative has found MTF.

Tsonga has done better where it counts.

federernadalfan
12-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Forehand - Tsonga
Backhand - Simon
Net Play and Volleys - Tsonga
Movement and positioning - Simon
Serve - Tsonga
Attacking play and agression - Tsonga
Defensive play and tactically know how - Simon
Physical conmditioninng and mental strengthy - Simon

pretty good analysis

Puschkin
12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
That's a hard one. Tsonga more spectacular, while Simon more consistent. Really tough to say.

duong
12-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Totally different styles,

one wants to make winners,
the other one mainly expects the opponent's mistake.

a little bit like Federer and Murray.

Furthermore, there are so many strange things and uncertainties about these two players.

Tsonga is often wounded, which is a big question mark.
And he has always been very irregular.

As for Simon, his improvement has astonished everybody in France, especially amongst the players and the technical staff. There has been a lot of gossiping about his results amongst French players recently, for instance Grosjean or Malisse (Belgian yes) saying that if Simon could be in the top-10, then it's great news for a lot a lot of players who could be the same !
But many say that these Grosjean and Malisse have not considered Simon's great improvement last year.
Nobody believed he could do that one year ago.

He has done great results against big players, but he had also a lot of difficulties against players not so good (many wins in final tie-break in Madrid against Andreev, Ginepri, Karlovic ... before beating Nadal, also in the final tie-break).
A little bit like Pioline in his time who also had great results against great players but had more difficulties against players not so good. And who emerged quite late, not being considered so talented in the beginning.

I think it's really very difficult to make predictions and compare them.

I would say Tsonga is more likely to make greater results, but there is a very big question mark about his wounds.

Also IMO it's possible that both of these players have reached their highest level in 2008. I mean they could do that again, but many expect them to do better : I'm not optimistic about that.

duong
12-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Anyway, what's quite astonishing and what's a pity for France (I say a pity because many say that French tennis is bad because we never had any top-top player in the open-era : Noah was 3rd in the world only one week !) is that as for Noah and Leconte in the 80s,

we have shared the main tennis qualities between several players.

Noah had the physical, tactical and mental qualities.
Leconte had the technique.

Now we have shared everything in 4 :
- Tsonga has the mental and physical explosivity, but not physical solidity
- Simon has the mental, the tactics, some physical endurance, but his technique is quite poor and his physics is not strong and explosive
- Monfils has a great physics, a good technique, but his tactical abilities are poor, and his mental is a little bit complex
- Gasquet has a very good technique, but lacks physical, tactical and mental abilities

A mixt of Noah and Leconte would have been number 1.
A mixt of these 4 players would be quite near from number 1.

But in France, we are a nearly communist country, you know :
we share everything :lol:

Horatio Caine
12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
A very good question imo. :yeah:

As PMK says, Tsonga has achieved more, and, on that basis, should be the outright winner. But, if you're just comparing games, I think it is a little more difficult, and made more interesting considering that they are polar opposites to each other. Maybe Simon should be the more consistent across all surfaces (Tsonga likely to struggle notably on the clay), but Tsonga more likely to do greater damage in the bigger events, and on the faster surfaces.

timafi
12-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Tsonga has made a slam final and won a Master Series
he plays well on hard court;carpet and grass and we all know that he can play on clay but with injuries he hasn't been able to play on it so I'm willing to give him a pass

as far as Simon goes;he doesn't play well on grass(yes he took a set off Gasquet and I love Gasquet to death but a junior player could have taken a set off him this year.losing to Querrey on red slow clay of Monte Carlo says it all:help: :mad:)

Simon won big but his best results in a major was the 4th round unless it was the 3th round?:scratch:

Tsonga had knee surgery and skipped 2 slams and still managed to beat huge players this year:Gasquet;Murray;Youzhny;crushing Nadal in the semis of Australia;thrashing Blake;beating Roddick,Stepanek and Nalbandian to win Bercy.For me his run in Australia and Bercy upstages anything Simon has done in the latter part of the season.
Simon has game no question but I'll go for Tsonga

Tsonga has the game to win majors on 3 surfaces:hard courts:Australia/USO and on grass
if Tsonga can be better in his movement;work that backhand of his(weaker shot in his game imo) and stay healthy I don't care wtf you are;you will not want to face him

richie21
12-19-2008, 06:22 PM
- Gasquet has a very good technique, but lacks physical, tactical and mental abilities

Yeah,his forehand technique is very good,isn't it?

reggie1
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM

Richie21, 123, you're back in the room!!:devil:

Ivanatis
12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I think Tsonga. He's not only reached better results at bigger tournaments, he's also slightly ahead in the rankings. Without all these injuries, Tsonga would be clearly ahead right now I think. But well, things are the way they are. So I see clear advantages for Tsonga in terms of talent and for Simon in terms of making the most out of one's possibilities. Referring to Simon, I feel he has somehow reached the maximum which is possible for him. With being roughly ranked around 30 one year ago, only his die-hard fans would have thought he would crack the Top10, and he did so only one year later, which I would have never expected. So I feel somehow, Simon has reached the end of the road, hope I'm wrong though and he will soon be Top5. However, better player at this point for me is as mentioned above Tsonga, I see no reason why this guy shouldn't crack the top3 in the coming years if he stays healthy.

LinkMage
12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Tsonga >>>>>>>>>>> Pusher Simon

richie21
12-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Tsonga >>>>>>>>>>> Pusher Simon

Quoted for the truth.

NyGeL
12-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Tsonga is more complete, but Simon is more regular.

duong
12-19-2008, 11:06 PM

No you know that, this was just rough talking to make a clear distinction between the 4 of them :rolleyes:

thrust
12-19-2008, 11:14 PM
From what I have seen, Tsonga seems to have a stronger more varied game. Hopefully, he is not injury prone.

Igaarg
12-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Tsonga is more complete, but Simon is more regular.

I second that

yellowboy906
12-20-2008, 05:11 AM
i think if simon continues the form he's been playing this year, then he's better than tsonga. never underestimate a player playing with heart and fighting every point like it's match point. heart beats talent imo. btw, i don't think tsonga will ever be healthy for long period of time. i never seen him healthy. i don't know why. maybe because he's too huge and you get injured more often when you're so huge.

Scotso
12-20-2008, 05:35 AM
I'd say they're pretty even at this point. :shrug: I definitely think Tsonga would win if he was playing well, but since that doesn't happen very often, I don't think you can claim he's a better player than Gilles.

Scotso
12-20-2008, 05:39 AM
One thing is sure, Tsonga has more fans than Simon on MTF so in this department he is better, never in doubt.

You guys seem to be a little obsessed with popularity.

kai.
12-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Simon ;)

Mateya
12-20-2008, 08:29 AM
A really tough question...they are both better than the other in particular segments. :)
The first post analysis did the job anyway, it's 50-50. Tsonga is more watchable and agressive, but Gilles in more patient and a great defender.

However, Tsonga will win the poll just because he has more fans and a bigger game. ;)

oranges
12-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't see Simon making even the semis of a GS, let alone a final or winning one. The same can obviously not be said for Jo, even with injury problems breaking his seasons. That alone answers the question IMO. Gilles is the new Ferrer on the block. This year's results could easily be his ceiling, with probably some better results in slams, but nothing to write home about.

Pfloyd
12-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I think Tsonga has a better peak form. But its obvious that Simon is more consistent.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Tsonga and injuries will be something that will plague him for his career.

Federerhingis
12-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Someone else said it. Tsonga is the more talented complete player of the two, big serve, big game and presence. However Simon has the consistency, the mental attitude and will probably have the longer career. Tsonga is too on-off and lacking the consistency to really be a true factor.

RogerFan82
12-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Tsonga >>>>>>>>>> Simon

Kolya
12-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Simon is better.

Bernard Black
12-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Tsonga.

iSzavay.
12-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Definitely Tsonga, he made the AO final to say the least

GlennMirnyi
12-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Tsonga is way better than Simon.

Can't really compare.

Venle
12-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Tsonga

Elena.
12-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Tsonga has a bigger potential but as far as mind-set is concerned,it often looks kinda vacant to me,ups and downs,while Simon is a very clever player whatever are his means he uses them at the max .

Shadow Knows
12-26-2008, 05:35 PM
The only reason anyone would ever think to ask such a question is Simon's ranking. A ranking "achieved" by gaming a system that rewards playing often over playing well. A system that says a player who loses in the first or second round of half the events he enters (consistent!) is the seventh-best in the world.

Odesnik
12-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Tsonga is so much better.

cocrcici
12-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Tsonga but Simon will always be fiter

NinaNina19
12-26-2008, 09:20 PM
The one who got past the 3rd round of a grand slam.

Corey Feldman
12-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Wilf

richie21
12-27-2008, 02:53 PM
One thing we can say for sure is that Simon's game is less prone to UEs than Tsonga's game.

rtgy
12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
both....................the truth is out there................. in season'09

scoobs
12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Has to be Tsonga really - he's put together the results, with a slam final and an AMS win in the last year.

I believe in judging players on their results, whatever you think of their style of play and on that basis, Tsonga gets it at this stage of their respective careers.

reggie1
12-27-2008, 03:43 PM
T'songa is more of a Maverick in my opinion but that's what makes him exciting to watch. He plays with heart. I think Simon does too but he's less charismatic and "showy" in his on court persona. I always think of Simon as a "grinder" whereas Jo is the flashy shotmaker who makes you go "OOh and Ahh" at the T.V. Well ,he does me anyway! :worship: I like both of them but I think if Jo can stay injury free he will have the better career in terms of grand Slam record..

«Ivan»
12-27-2008, 04:15 PM
gilles