Davis Cup USA v. Switzerland to be played in Birmingham, Alabama [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup USA v. Switzerland to be played in Birmingham, Alabama

Mrs. B
12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
to be played March 6-8, 2009 at the BJCC Arena in Birmingham.

who's going? ;)

elessar
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
God I wish I was :sad:

patch55
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
ME! Hopefully.

The Freak
12-17-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm going :woohoo:

Ilovetheblues_86
12-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Do you believe it´s a good place? What is played there? A challenger?

Clara Bow
12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
I really thought San Antonio would get it. There is a pretty strong tennis league community in central Texas. Granted- no big tournament- but Roddick and soon the Bryan Brothers will be living in that area of the state.

~*BGT*~
12-17-2008, 11:47 PM
I am hoping to go. Birmingham is a 6 hour drive for me. :)

smitty8
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I guess it would depend on how much work I have, how much tickets cost, and IF I get tickets. Anyone know when they go on sale?

patch55
12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
I guess it would depend on how much work I have, how much tickets cost, and IF I get tickets. Anyone know when they go on sale?

The article I read just said 'mid-January' so I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

Sunset of Age
12-18-2008, 12:17 AM
So it's going to be held in Birmingham! Quite a surprise to me.

I wish to all that are going there, a lot of great tennis and a fantastic battle between these two teams. Both have a good chance of winning so it will surely be interesting. :yeah:

And for us poor sods on the other side of the pond - a good livestream.

Uranium
12-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Alabama:lol:
Anyways if Roger plays, USA doesn't have a chance:p

BHAMACE
12-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Let me just tell you how EXCITED everyone here in Birmingham, Alabama is!!!!

Can you believe it? HAHA We are stoked!

The tennis community here is very large! And with the close proximity to Atlanta, there is no doubt it will be a sell out!

We have been wanting something this big here for a good long time. But with Nashville just to the north of us and Atlanta to the east it is difficult.

Now is our time to shine! What a treat!

Federer will get some GREAT Southern Hospitality for sure!

smitty8
12-18-2008, 01:53 AM
The article I read just said 'mid-January' so I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

Thanks, that's better than nothing.

CooCooCachoo
12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I think it's quite a surprise that it's held here :lol:

How big a city is this? I'm also wondering if it'll be held at the venue of the Birmingham Challenger, but then I guess seating capacity will have to be expanded.

Winston's Human
12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Metropolitan Birmingham has over a million people.

According to news reports, the tennis site will seat 17,000 spectators.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-daviscup-ussite&prov=ap&type=lgns

bokehlicious
12-18-2008, 11:42 AM
who's going? ;)

Will you go there Eva? :eek:

:hug: ;)

miura
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Let me just tell you how EXCITED everyone here in Birmingham, Alabama is!!!!

Can you believe it? HAHA We are stoked!

The tennis community here is very large! And with the close proximity to Atlanta, there is no doubt it will be a sell out!

We have been wanting something this big here for a good long time. But with Nashville just to the north of us and Atlanta to the east it is difficult.

Now is our time to shine! What a treat!

Federer will get some GREAT Southern Hospitality for sure!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLyeDd6Z5XU

BHAMACE
12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
It won't be held in the same place as the challenger here in Birmingham. That is actually in Pelham just on the outskirts of Birmingham.

The Davis Cup event will be held in the BJCC Convention Arena where concerts and such are held. They will be laying down a court inside the complex.

I'll be there... will you? HAHA

AU1983
12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I think it's quite a surprise that it's held here :lol:

How big a city is this? I'm also wondering if it'll be held at the venue of the Birmingham Challenger, but then I guess seating capacity will have to be expanded.
The poster above correctly stated that metro Birmingham has over a million people.

Also, during his announcement yesterday, the promoter (who did a great job when Birmingham hosted Olympic soccer) commented that about 25 million people live within three hours of Birmingham. Atlanta is only a couple of hours away, and the event will be heavily promoted there.

The Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center holds 17,500.

Mrs. B
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Will you go there Eva? :eek:

:hug: ;)

i don't know yet. :scratch:

anserq
12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Amazing :) can't wait to see on TV.

reggie1
12-18-2008, 04:07 PM
:o I read the title of the thread really quickly and thought "Birmingham England! How have the Brummies managed that?. I'll be able to go, yippeeeee". Yes, I am disappointed, a disappointed tool!:o

Michael Bluth
12-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Tennis is pretty popular in the South I believe but Alabama? I can understand the argument of going somewhere where there isn't a big tournament(ie not SoCal/Florida/NY) but if you want to go Southern then why not Atlanta or Dallas or Memphis or something?

Snoo Foo
12-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Tennis is pretty popular in the South I believe but Alabama? I can understand the argument of going somewhere where there isn't a big tournament(ie not SoCal/Florida/NY) but if you want to go Southern then why not Atlanta or Dallas or Memphis or something?

my theories (which are only theories) are that (a) those bigger cities are not gonna be falling all over themselves to host cuz they have other, bigger fish to fry than a relatively rinky-dink tennis event and (b) it's hard to find a big enough venue that isn't already booked with either a regular sporting event (e.g. college/pro/h.s. basketball) or something else (circus, concert, rodeo, arts & crafts fair) 4 months in advance.

tangerine_dream
12-18-2008, 04:27 PM
The USTA wants to spread the tennis wealth, so to speak, to bring live tennis into places that don't normally have access to it. I think Birmingham, AL is a great choice, the venue sounds perfectly sized and the crowds will be awesome. Think of all those Alabama/Georgia tennis fans who will be thrilled to see Roddick and Federer and the others in person, probably their only chance to do so. I predict tickets will sell out in record time. :cool:

CooCooCachoo
12-18-2008, 04:33 PM
The poster above correctly stated that metro Birmingham has over a million people.

Also, during his announcement yesterday, the promoter (who did a great job when Birmingham hosted Olympic soccer) commented that about 25 million people live within three hours of Birmingham. Atlanta is only a couple of hours away, and the event will be heavily promoted there.

The Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center holds 17,500.

Thanks for the info. I have heard of Birmingham, obviously, because of the Challenger there, but my knowledge of US topography is not exactly that brilliant.

From the information in this thread, I can only endorse tangy's opinion that it seems like a sound choice.

bokehlicious
12-18-2008, 06:32 PM
i don't know yet. :scratch:

:hug: hope for you you'll manage to make it ;), though the ambiance won't be as hot as it was in Lausanne :angel: :D :p

iSzavay.
12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
they always choose such random spots for Davis Cup

KarlyM
12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I thought San Antonio would have been picked - having such a big 1st round tie at the Alamodome would have been cool! :rocker2: But I guess Birmingham is fine. :) At least it isn't in Winston-Salem again - 3 out of the last 12 U.S. home ties were there.

AU1983
12-19-2008, 03:08 AM
my theories (which are only theories) are that (a) those bigger cities are not gonna be falling all over themselves to host cuz they have other, bigger fish to fry than a relatively rinky-dink tennis event and (b) it's hard to find a big enough venue that isn't already booked with either a regular sporting event (e.g. college/pro/h.s. basketball) or something else (circus, concert, rodeo, arts & crafts fair) 4 months in advance.
You're right! Davis Cup was the headline in today's paper. During the weeks prior to the tie, Birmingham will be singlemindedly focused on it, fairly bursting at the seams with civic pride. Indeed, the USTA rep cited this as a reason for its selection.

Other reasons include the venue (http://www.bjcc.org/about_bjcc.php), which has been renovated recently (apparently the locker rooms are very nice), the fact that Alabama hasn't hosted it before, the practice facility (http://samfordsports.cstv.com/facilities/samf-hardison.html) at Samford University, which is brand new and has three indoor courts with a viewing area that can open to overlook the outdoor courts, hundreds of thousands of dollars in in free ads that will run on Raycom (http://www.raycommedia.com/)'s 42 TV stations (owned by the state retirement system), its proximity to Atlanta and tie-in with the Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association (http://www.altatennis.org), and other coordinated promotion.

I'll be there - can't wait! :yippee:

Johnny Groove
12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
I was born in Birmingham :inlove:

Wish I could go, but I'm gonna be in Indian Wells right after :awww:

LinkMage
12-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Switzerland has no chance with that clown Wawrinka who can't win a DC match against a decent opponent to save his life.

tangerine_dream
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
No Roger. :(

HattonWBA
02-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Just gonna be 5-0 to the United States, especially with fed-ex pulling out

KarlyM
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
In somewhat related news - to those living in the U.S.-->

Tennis Channel given sole [U.S.] TV rights to Davis Cup

Tennis Channel is adding live U.S. Davis Cup coverage to its programming, starting with next month’s matches against Roger Federer and Switzerland.

The deal with the U.S. Tennis Association and International Tennis Federation is to be announced Tuesday.

The agreement is for two years, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the groups involved were not going to make the contract terms public.

During the past two years, Versus carried U.S. Davis Cup competition live, and Tennis Channel would then air the matches on tape delay.

Now Tennis Channel becomes the only U.S. TV network carrying the country’s Davis Cup matches.

Previously, Tennis Channel had U.S. TV rights for Davis Cup contests involving countries other than the United States, as well as all matches in the Fed Cup, which also is run by the ITF.

The United States, led by Andy Roddick, will host Switzerland, led by 13-time Grand Slam singles champion Federer, in the first round of the 2009 Davis Cup at Birmingham, Ala., on March 6-8.

Tennis Channel, which is in about 25 million homes, is showing part of all four Grand Slam tennis tournaments in 2009 for the first time.
http://www.tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=164790

:ras: Now I can't watch Davis Cup since I can't get TC. :(
I would have been even more mad if Fed had not pulled out.

kaylee
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Hah join the club - we Canadians have been asking for access for years and to no avail. Hockey channel = yes, golf channel = yes, tennis channel = A BIG FAT NO.

smitty8
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Not happy about Fed not coming. BTW, anyone get their tickets in the mail yet? I'm still waiting.

~*BGT*~
02-18-2009, 01:07 AM
smitty, when I went to NC last year, we got our tickets a month in advance. Maybe you should give them a call. :shrug:

Snoo Foo
02-18-2009, 01:13 AM
yeah last year mine never showed up in the mail, I had to call whomever it was, ticketmaster I guess, and arrange to pick them up at will call.

smitty8
02-18-2009, 01:21 AM
I think it said on Ticketmaster that they would be sent out 3 weeks prior, so it's past 3 weeks. I'm going to check on the status on TM and see if they've been printed yet. I know I already paid for it, saw that charge on the AmEx, hard to miss when it's that much.
Oh Sonofa... they cancelled my tickets. WTH? I didn't get an email, a call, NOTHING! And I paid for my hotel room already, no refunds. Oh someone is gonna get hurt.

Deboogle!.
02-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Wait, so they charged your card, then canceled your tickets but didn't refund your Amex? That's obviously not legal... wtf????? oh man, good luck getting it worked out, i hope you can still go :hug:

smitty8
02-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I sent off an email to customer service.
I looked at the order page again on my account and at the top, it says "This order was cancelled". Underneath, it has order date, order number, and amount. Then under that is
"Event
Davis Cup by BNP Paribas First Round: USA vs. Switzerland
BJCC Arena, Birmingham, AL
03/06/09 - 12:30 PM
Section Row Type Ticket Price Convenience Charge
0 No Charge " BUT under that is the same thing with a seat, complete with section, row, and seat number and charge.
There is also 2 different billing information, the first one with my name and $0, then the second one with my name, credit card, and charge.

I am seriously confused. Do I have a ticket or not? I tried to get another 3 day ticket on TM and there is none available. They haven't put the single day tickets up for sale yet. Now if I hadn't already paid for the damn hotel room for 2 nights (since I couldn't get it any other way), I would just say the hell with it.

smitty8
02-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Wait, so they charged your card, then canceled your tickets but didn't refund your Amex? That's obviously not legal... wtf????? oh man, good luck getting it worked out, i hope you can still go :hug:

I got the AmEx bill last month, paid it, but haven't gotten this month's bill yet (probably next week), so I don't know if it's been refunded or not.

AU1983
02-18-2009, 02:53 AM
I got the AmEx bill last month, paid it, but haven't gotten this month's bill yet (probably next week), so I don't know if it's been refunded or not.
Hey, I'm in the same boat (just checked thanks to your post). If I'd read this an hour earlier, I'd have been able to call TM.

Something just isn't right! They can't just cancel without telling us, can they?!?!?

smitty8
02-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Hey, I'm in the same boat (just checked thanks to your post). If I'd read this an hour earlier, I'd have been able to call TM.

Something just isn't right! They can't just cancel without telling us, can they?!?!?

Ok, this is just odd. Do you also have a seat/row/section under your order when you checked under My Account? I am seriously confused about the whole thing. :confused:

Snoo Foo
02-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Call them tomorrow, I don't remember the details but I had a similar weirdness, my tickets hadn't arrived and it was only a few weeks to the matches and I checked online and it said something like "this order has been canceled" (but I knew I already paid), so I called them and they gladly arranged for the tickets to be at will call for me, which I thought would be a big hassle cuz I'd have to wait in line the day of but it really was only about 2 minutes out of my day. So hopefully the situation will be the same for you.

smitty8
02-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Well well, it is good to have friends in high places. This guy I went to school with works for TM and since I put something on Facebook about it, he is looking into it right now. We'll see what he says.

meihaditalab
02-18-2009, 03:35 AM
Oh god, now that Roger is out, good luck Switzerland! haha
Too bad for the USA and Switzerland that Spain or Canada :haha: ( I wish ) are going to win it :)

smitty8
02-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Just got off the phone with my friend and he said I DO have a ticket, but something is odd with how they were cancelled then reissued. He will contact the guy at the arena and find out what is going on since he thinks the 2 of us on here probably aren't the only ones confused and let me know more tomorrow. The tickets have been printed.
Ah, guess it's good that I was nice to him in school. :p

AU1983
02-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I called a very nice guy at Ticketbastard today, who also explained that they cancelled the presale tickets and replaced them with real ones. Told the guy that TM might want to reconsider how they're showing this on the website.

I also called the venue, which confirmed this after some confusion.

Sure enough, I got mine in today's mail!!! Section 26L, right around the baseline. Can't wait!!! :bounce:

smitty8
02-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Wow, you have better seats than me, I'm in 19L.

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Wow, way to give all you guys heart attacks. Glad your tix worked out, have a great time :)

~*BGT*~
02-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I called a very nice guy at Ticketbastard today, who also explained that they cancelled the presale tickets and replaced them with real ones. Told the guy that TM might want to reconsider how they're showing this on the website.

I also called the venue, which confirmed this after some confusion.

Sure enough, I got mine in today's mail!!! Section 26L, right around the baseline. Can't wait!!! :bounce:

Yeah, something similar happened to me. It was about 3 weeks before the tie began and I logged into my TM account and it showed no purchase of my DC tix (I hadn't gotten them yet) and said that I had no upcoming events! :o I then found out they mailed the tix to my brother. :lol: