Richmond Tigers draft Ben Cousins (don't know who he is? well f*ck off then :D) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Richmond Tigers draft Ben Cousins (don't know who he is? well f*ck off then :D)

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 04:15 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24807394-661,00.html

The Richmond Football Club used its number six draft pick to recruit the champion player after a a late night move overnight to head off a fan revolt.

And fans have repaid the club by signing up for Richmond memberships for next season.

Sources at the club said the membership lines had been "running hot" since news of the Cousins selection broke.

"There's been a mass of interest in membership for next year," the source said.

Cousins is understood to be flying to Melbourne today and is expected to train with the Tigers tomorrow.

Richmond forward Matthew Richardson said Cousins was "a great player" and would be a great addition to the club.

This morning as coach Terry Wallace headed into the club's Punt Rd headquarters, he told reporters the club had not yet made a decision whether to recruit Cousins.

But by 10.15am the club had decided in favour of Cousins.

Richmond players at the clubrooms this morning welcomed the news.

Several players described the decision as "fantastic" for the club, with others saying they were excited about the prospect of playing with Cousins.

Nathan Brown said he was looking forward to playing with Cousins and was not worried about his past.

"Everyone has a past. I think he'll be fantastic and I cannot wait to play with him," he said.

The decision appears to have won widespread support from footy fans generally, with the Herald Sun online's poll showing more than 80 per cent of readers backed the decision.

The Herald Sun understands the club backflipped on yesterday's claim it was "highly unlikely" it would recruit him, and instead decided late last night to give Ben Cousins a second chance.

Other players picked in the pre-season draft include
1. Liam Jurah for Melbourne
2. Josh Carr for Port Adelaide
3. Hayden Skipworth for Essendon
4. Chris Johnson for Carlton
5. Tom Rockliff for Brisbane

After a series of meetings and phone calls between Richmond directors, coaches and officials, the club decided to use its only selection in today's pre-season draft to take the fallen champ.

Meantime, Ben Cousins' manager this morning Ricky Nixon denied reports his charge was ready to fly to Melbourne today for the decision.

Other media outlets said Cousins had flown to Melbourne on a red-eye flight early this morning.

The Herald Sun was told the club finalised its decision after 10pm and some key Richmond players were immediately told.

This came after Cousins' future was again thrown into doubt after the AFL Commission yesterday denied Richmond permission to move the injured Graham Polak to its rookie list, which would have given the Tigers a second draft pick.

About 50 angry Tiger fans reacted by marching to Punt Rd last night, singing the club song and chanting "Cousins for Christmas''.

Fred Haifa, 20, from Brunswick, demanded the club recruit the confessed drug user.

"Ben Cousins at 100 per cent health can do a lot of damage on the field and he has got a point to prove,'' he said. "If Ben Cousins doesn't come to the club it will be probably the worst Christmas present ever.''

Supporters also flooded the club with emails demanding the Tigers use their only draft pick to recruit the fallen Brownlow Medal winner.

The Herald Sun was inundated with messages backing Cousins.

"Seriously if Richmond don't take Ben tomorrow they are insane,'' wrote one.

The draft starts at 10am and Tiger fans will know quickly if they have won their man.

Cousins took calls at his Perth apartment as support gathered strength.

Coach Terry Wallace faced angry supporters after training at 8.30pm but refused to speculate about what would happen today.

Cheer squad president David Norman said he had been looking forward to seeing Cousins in Richmond colours.

"Who wouldn't want Cousins? He's one of the top dozen league players in the last 10 years,'' he told the Herald Sun.

Leigh Witten, 43, planned to stay at Punt Rd overnight and vowed to remain for as long as it took to convince the club to recruit Cousins.

"What they've been doing is beating around the bush,'' he said. "We will sit on the roof of the stand until it is done.''

Richmond football operations manager Craig Cameron last night kept hopes alive of securing Cousins.

"It is not absolutely impossible,'' he told the Herald Sun.

The club would not decide until close to the 10am starting time for the draft.

The Tigers had hoped to move Polak - who was hurt when hit by a tram in June - to the rookie list, enabling them to make two draft picks and gain breathing room under the salary cap.

But AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the competition had rules that applied to Polak's situation.

"The mechanism is there for Richmond to put Graham Polak on to the long-term injury list and to elevate a rookie who can play for as long as Graham Polak is out of football,'' Demetriou said.

Demetriou said the commission's decision should not be seen as anti-Cousins.

Fourteen clubs made submissions about Richmond's request on Polak, with a clear majority arguing against it.

Cameron initially said it was unlikely Richmond would pick Cousins because the club would probably stick to a strategy of selecting youth. "The decision we have to make has to be a long-term one and shouldn't be based on a swinging public mood.''

Kevin Sheedy, recently appointed a Richmond ambassador, has been driving the Cousins-to-Punt Rd project.

And he had plenty of support last night.

Thirty-year club member Ray Mahos drove to the club from Heidelberg desperate for answers.

"They've given him a lifeline with one hand and taken it away with another,'' he said. ``We stand to gain, even with just female members alone. He is the catalyst to make this club great again. Everybody deserves a second chance.''

bad gambler
12-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Bad move

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 04:43 AM
yeah, tigers definitely would have been better off with some skinny untalented chump who would never make it off the rookie list and get delisted in 12-18 months time.

:o

Thanos
12-16-2008, 05:10 AM
:lol: cousins probably peaking off his nut right now

bad gambler
12-16-2008, 05:11 AM
He has played 7 games in 2 seasons, how good are you expecting him to be? Too much risk outweighing the benefit IMO, the guy is a drug addict and will always be prime for a relapse.

The guy is a walking circus and is going to be a distraction for the club.

Peta Pan
12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Although his form when he returned for the Eagles after his first break was brilliant, I think he is too risky. He is too likely to turn back to drugs - he's an addict.

There is also the age factor, I don't think there is too much advantage in recruiting anyone who is already 30. It seems a bit crazy to me.

But on the other side, it's going to get interest into Richmond, maybe people buying memberships with a hope of him making a difference to the team (afterall Judd made quite a difference to Carlton this season).

I guess only time will tell.

opeth84
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I think i speak for alot of West Aussies when i say im sick to death of hearing about him. Im glad this draft deal is over. Hopefully when he fucks off to melbourne thats the last we hear of him. And no im not a Dockers fan. I hate AFL:)

Peta Pan
12-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh it isn't only West Aussies that would be sick to death of hearing about him :p He's been the headlines on the news and the front page of our papers a lot of the time this has been going on... it's like an ongoing saga.

I love AFL, but it belongs in the sports pages not the news headlines :o

opeth84
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh it isn't only West Aussies that would be sick to death of hearing about him :p He's been the headlines on the news and the front page of our papers a lot of the time this has been going on... it's like an ongoing saga.

Hahah yea but he's been headline first thing on channel 7 news that many times over the years i can't beleive it hahah. He was West Coast's golden boy for so long even through all the many mess ups he's had. This ain't just a second chance. This cat has got 9 nine lives and hopefully is all out of them if he fucks up again with the Tigers.

Personally im not real bothered by whether he was going to be able to play again or not.It's just the media has jammed it down our throats. Would be nice if they went on about Tennis a little more... but then again we are nearly at that time of year :)

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
He has played 7 games in 2 seasons, how good are you expecting him to be? Too much risk outweighing the benefit IMO, the guy is a drug addict and will always be prime for a relapse.

The guy is a walking circus and is going to be a distraction for the club.

Cousins has taken drugs throughout his whole career, yet he has still won a premiership and a brownlow - the highest honours in the sport.

Andrew Johns took drugs throughout his entire career, many (quite possibly even including yourself) tout him as "one of the greats" :o. He was also awarded the highest honours in his sport. Ironically, many even pity Andrew Johns for explaining that "the pressure of the sport was too much, I had to take drugs to keep me sane". Poor Joey :awww:, let's not drag his name through the mud.

Why weren't these two cases treated the same by the media? Good question.

Why did the AFL take out a court injunction to prevent the names of 7 Hawthorn players who tested positive to drugs from being released to the public? Another good question. These players are all premiership players now as well :lol:.

So why did the AFL make Cousins a scapegoat? Because they're a bunch of spineless c*nts.

Why does the average moron think that Ben Cousins is the only athlete to have ever taken recreational drugs? Well, they're morons.

Believe it or not, many more high profile athletes still take recreational drugs, and have been doing so for years :eek:. Yet it does not affect their performance.

Surely you are not naive enough to believe that there are no other AFL/NRL/Super 14 etc. players who have taken illicit drugs within the last 10 years, or who still take these drugs. Why should Cousins shoulder the blame for the general problem of drugs in sport in this country?

Regardless of Cousins' onfield performance, it makes a huge deal of sense for the Tigers to have drafted him. Membership numbers will rise, tv audiences will increase, ticket sales will improve, merchandise sales will increase, and so on. After all, football clubs are nothing more than businesses these days. Mike Tyson was hardly a pin up boy, yet he pulled much bigger purses than the articulate Lennox Lewis ever could have dreamed of.

The first game Cousins plays in and his first game against the Eagles, will be the most talked about and watched games of the regular season. When was the last time people were talking about Richmond?

Action Jackson
12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Cousins will be playing against Judd in the first game of the season as Richmond play Carlton.

Hope he can perform on the park and Richmond should get some more notice now.

Just have to say this, fuck I hate Mike Sheahan.

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Although his form when he returned for the Eagles after his first break was brilliant, I think he is too risky. He is too likely to turn back to drugs - he's an addict.

:lol: @ He's an addict, you're some sort of medical expert? Are you basing this statement on anything other than the :bs: you hear in the media? The guy takes drugs, so what, most of your beloved Geelong Cats have taken the same stuff too and still do, are they addicts as well? :o

Is Andrew Johns an addict? He admitted to taking recreational drugs throughout his ENTIRE CAREER, yet he still won however many premierships, captained Australia, etc. Difference between him and Ben is, that Ben will be drug tested heavily over this final stage of his career, so he'll have to put his "addiction" on hold. Andrew Johns was NEVER clean.

There is also the age factor, I don't think there is too much advantage in recruiting anyone who is already 30. It seems a bit crazy to me.

Age factor? Have you seen pictures of him on tv? Does he look old and slow? Let me list the names of some less talented mugs of similar age, who have been a part of premiership winning sides in the past 2 years:

Stuart Dew (despite being unfit and overweight)
Shane Crawford
Brad Ottens
Matthew Scarlett
Darren Milburn
Tom Harley.

Cousins' speed, skill and fitness levels will put ALL of this lot to shame.

But on the other side, it's going to get interest into Richmond, maybe people buying memberships with a hope of him making a difference to the team (afterall Judd made quite a difference to Carlton this season).

I guess only time will tell.

Forget time, it has alreaady made a huge difference. Right now we're talking about Richmond. When was the last time anyone talked about Richmond except to laugh about how shit they are?

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM

The only reason he's in the news is because he draws attention and sells papers. If he didn't, then you wouldn't be reading about him.

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Hahah yea but he's been headline first thing on channel 7 news that many times over the years i can't beleive it hahah. He was West Coast's golden boy for so long even through all the many mess ups he's had. This ain't just a second chance. This cat has got 9 nine lives and hopefully is all out of them if he fucks up again with the Tigers.

Personally im not real bothered by whether he was going to be able to play again or not.It's just the media has jammed it down our throats. Would be nice if they went on about Tennis a little more... but then again we are nearly at that time of year :)

It's amazing how cowardly acts of violence (punching players in the back of the head, or while they're not looking) against fellow human beings from people like Barry Hall is okay, yet taking drugs is not.

Go figure.

its.like.that
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Cousins will be playing against Judd in the first game of the season as Richmond play Carlton.

Hope he can perform on the park and Richmond should get some more notice now.

Just have to say this, fuck I hate Mike Sheahan.

That will be a barnstormer.

Richmond finished 9th this season, with Cousins they are top 8 material for next season.

On the betting front, since the announcement they have firmed into a 1.70 shot to make the top 8.

Steer clear of the Herald Sun, and all its scummy journos.

opeth84
12-16-2008, 11:28 PM
It's amazing how cowardly acts of violence (punching players in the back of the head, or while they're not looking) against fellow human beings from people like Barry Hall is okay, yet taking drugs is not.

Go figure.

Who the hell said thats ok? Barry Hall should have suspended longer for that king hit he did. And finally im a full aussie, NRL is much more to my liking :)

El Legenda
12-16-2008, 11:34 PM
who cares..

jim you're special :)

its.like.that
12-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Who the hell said thats ok? Barry Hall should have suspended longer for that king hit he did. And finally im a full aussie, NRL is much more to my liking :)

:lol:

relax son, i was only kidding ;).

although i don't understand how someone could enjoy NRL over AFL.

its.like.that
12-17-2008, 12:10 AM
who cares..

jim you're special :)

do you even know who he is?

if not, then obey the title, biatch.

:kiss:

bad gambler
12-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Cousins has taken drugs throughout his whole career, yet he has still won a premiership and a brownlow - the highest honours in the sport.

So what, that makes taking drugs ok then?

Andrew Johns took drugs throughout his entire career, many (quite possibly even including yourself) tout him as "one of the greats" :o. He was also awarded the highest honours in his sport. Ironically, many even pity Andrew Johns for explaining that "the pressure of the sport was too much, I had to take drugs to keep me sane". Poor Joey :awww:, let's not drag his name through the mud.

Why weren't these two cases treated the same by the media? Good question.

I'm not going to defend the media on this one because I agree with you in that they let Johns off pretty lightly, however the difference the drug revelations concering Johns occurred after his retirement. With Ben Cousins we are talking about a player who is currently playing the game. Of course the media are going to take more interest in Cousins' situation than they did with Johns.

Why did the AFL take out a court injunction to prevent the names of 7 Hawthorn players who tested positive to drugs from being released to the public? Another good question. These players are all premiership players now as well :lol:.

So why did the AFL make Cousins a scapegoat? Because they're a bunch of spineless c*nts.

Why does the average moron think that Ben Cousins is the only athlete to have ever taken recreational drugs? Well, they're morons.

Believe it or not, many more high profile athletes still take recreational drugs, and have been doing so for years :eek:. Yet it does not affect their performance.

Surely you are not naive enough to believe that there are no other AFL/NRL/Super 14 etc. players who have taken illicit drugs within the last 10 years, or who still take these drugs. Why should Cousins shoulder the blame for the general problem of drugs in sport in this country?

The AFL's approach to dealing with players testing positive for drugs is a joke, I agree. Cousins' case is the focus of the media because he made his issue public. You can't blame the media to therefore focus on his case when we don't know who those Hawks players are (although one of them is their highest profile player :D )

Regardless of Cousins' onfield performance, it makes a huge deal of sense for the Tigers to have drafted him. Membership numbers will rise, tv audiences will increase, ticket sales will improve, merchandise sales will increase, and so on. After all, football clubs are nothing more than businesses these days. Mike Tyson was hardly a pin up boy, yet he pulled much bigger purses than the articulate Lennox Lewis ever could have dreamed of.

The first game Cousins plays in and his first game against the Eagles, will be the most talked about and watched games of the regular season. When was the last time people were talking about Richmond?

Of course I understand why the Tigers drafted him, it was nothing more than a marketing ploy. However my point was that the intense media scrutiny that will be inevitably around Cousins both off field and on field this upcoming season has to be a distraction to the other players and the club in general.

Cousins is not going to be getting back to his 2005 form, he is 30 and has been out of the game for 2 seasons. The Tigers have a pretty decent roster as it was and they finished the 2007 season strongly. From an on field perspective I wouldn't have made the move but only time will tell whether it was a good one or not.

Peta Pan
12-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Oh poo Jimbo, I'm not in an argumentative mood today :sad:

(and I hate AFL during the off-season :o :yawn: )

:lol: @ He's an addict, you're some sort of medical expert? Are you basing this statement on anything other than the :bs: you hear in the media? The guy takes drugs, so what, most of your beloved Geelong Cats have taken the same stuff too and still do, are they addicts as well? :o

Is Andrew Johns an addict? He admitted to taking recreational drugs throughout his ENTIRE CAREER, yet he still won however many premierships, captained Australia, etc. Difference between him and Ben is, that Ben will be drug tested heavily over this final stage of his career, so he'll have to put his "addiction" on hold. Andrew Johns was NEVER clean.
Medical expert I am not.. but he has said him self he has a problem with drugs :shrug: He got suspended for using and went to rehab, came back and said he'd be clean... he couldn't stay clean. If he can't stay off them when he's made a committment to staying clean I think that's heading into addict territory.

Do you have factual proof that Geelong players are on drugs? I'm not saying that none of them on the list might have a problem. I don't know what they get up to, but I'm not shitting on anyone without proof.

The Andrew Johns case I'm not so familiar with because I was actually in Canada at the time the news broke last year... I remember reading a little thing on the internet at the time and being in Victoria I haven't really heard that much about it since I got back.

Age factor? Have you seen pictures of him on tv? Does he look old and slow? Let me list the names of some less talented mugs of similar age, who have been a part of premiership winning sides in the past 2 years:

Stuart Dew (despite being unfit and overweight)
Shane Crawford
Brad Ottens
Matthew Scarlett
Darren Milburn
Tom Harley.

Cousins' speed, skill and fitness levels will put ALL of this lot to shame.
Does he look old? He's the same age as me so no he is very young :p

I haven't seen him on a football field for a while though so I have no idea what his fitness is like.

When I talk about the age factor, I'm meaning recruiting him when he's already 30, of the players you listed only Dew was redrafted at a later age... somehow that one managed to work out for the Hawks because he's had some great form. Ottens was drafted by us at about 25 so not old either. Other than that, all those players have played at their clubs from a young age so it's a different situation to taking them as a new player.

(and for the record, there is nothing inferior about Scarlett and Harley. They are defenders and Cousins is midfield so it's a given that he'd be faster. If Scarlett wasn't a full-back he'd have been in Brownlow contention a few times)

Forget time, it has alreaady made a huge difference. Right now we're talking about Richmond. When was the last time anyone talked about Richmond except to laugh about how shit they are?
It's making a huge difference to membership and media attention for the club... but time will tell if it also equates to onfield success.

Thanos
12-17-2008, 07:36 AM
just finished watching the news their were 2000 people at tigers training today to watch cousins.

while rugby league is in debt!. vamos melbourne gaelic football

its.like.that
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Dipierdimenico has nothing on Cousins.

:cool: