Annoying ads [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Annoying ads

Ivanatis
12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
That golf ad is really annoying. Or more specific, the sound of it. When I heard it first, I thought my sound card just collapsed.

Ivanatis
12-16-2008, 10:53 PM
nobody else bothered? well I kinda got used to it now..

I've read people writing, it's frog noise and I have to agree, there are similarities :yeah:

Jelena
12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
is really annoying. Or more specific, the sound of it. When I heard it first, I thought my sound card just collapsed.
I didn't really think my soundcard collapsed, but when you have speakers on and want to listen to something, it is annoying.
nobody else bothered? well I kinda got used to it now..

I've read people writing, it's frog noise and I have to agree, there are similarities :yeah:
As you see I am bothered too. It only took me a bit to realise where this strange sound comes from.

Neely
12-19-2008, 10:35 PM
The sound is really disturbing. I usually have all system event sounds turned off and then suddenly I heard something and was scared for a moment because I didn't realize where it was coming from.

Jelena
12-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't mind that ad if it was a mute one. But if you have the sound on because you want to listen to a live-stream, this sound is so annoying that even my mother already asked if it can be muted. :mad:

Eden
12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I just see this thread. I thought I would be the only one who gets the sound.
Neely, do you think there is any chance that there can be something done about the sound? It's really annoying.

Ivanatis
01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
bee you ehm π

Ivanatis
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
WIE LANGE WIRST DU LEBEN?

NEHMEN SIE DER TODESTEST?

To those admins who are responsible: Are you fuckin' kidding me? Apart from the facts that this sound is pissing me off and the grammar (and choice of words) is a joke, I can't believe you're linking to such bullshit sites, even if probably only the German users are concerned. (I don't want to know what users from other areas have to bear.) Seriously, by now you have lost the last bit of credibility in my eyes.

Jelena
07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
To those admins who are responsible: Are you fuckin' kidding me? Apart from the facts that this sound is pissing me off and the grammar (and choice of words) is a joke, I can't believe you're linking to such bullshit sites, even if probably only the German users are concerned. (I don't want to know what users from other areas have to bear.) Seriously, by now you have lost the last bit of credibility in my eyes.
Thomas, this is only again proving my saying: Leave translation to translators.

And yes the sound is - sorry - fucking annoying.

Eden
07-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I also really hope MTF will get rid of this annoying ad as soon as possible :o

Zirconek
07-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm really annoyed by another ad, "The Atheist'sRiddle" - "so simple any child can understand, so complex no atheist can solve". :silly:
Yes, it's something related to intelligent design(sic)/creationism. I support freedom of speech and I'm very tolerant about people's beliefs, but also I've spent too many hours reading books, at class, in field works and at laboratory so I can say this theory is :bs: and this kind of ad surely is not good for the reputation of this site. Oh, and the face of the guy who is the "guru" is not funny anymore to me, now I just can't stand his face.
Anyway, I guess those ads are randomly brought by Google, so I think not much can be done, but I'll ask the webmaster about the golf ad (and ask to block the creationist ad as well).

Ivanatis
07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
The golf ad is gone for a long time.

Zirconek
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
oh, so it's another one annoying? :lol: :hug:

Ivanatis
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
indeed, it links to a totally serious site which predicts your exact date of death :music:
the golf ad was pretty fun compared to this one

and the noise is some creepy laughter

Zirconek
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
:scared: :haha:

May we have a long and happy life :hug:

right now in this page: "Discover-Is evolution true? Does it matter what you believe?Get your fr....(nothing more written :lol: ) - Order now - Creation & Evolution" :smash:

I started a thread about these ads in non-tennis some time ago, but nobody posted :sad:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=109449

LinkMage
07-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Adblock Plus = no more ads :D

Problem solved.

Ivanatis
07-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Problem solved.

Users installing additional software to get rid of the crap we're confronted with is not exactly a solution.

Manon
07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Users installing additional software to get rid of the crap we're confronted with is not exactly a solution.

LM is right actually. Adblock 'works' everywhere so you can kill all flies around the net.

Ivanatis
07-15-2009, 05:42 AM
very smart to write "du" and then "Sie":worship:

tangerine_dream
08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
If you're on a Mac and prefer using Safari, there's AdBlock for Safari here:

for OS 10.5 (http://download.cnet.com/Safari-AdBlock/3000-2378_4-10793198.html)

for OS 10.4 (http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/)

Ivanatis
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
cannot believe they're still there after such a long time

bokehlicious
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM

This ad is so fuckin' annoying :rolleyes: and I'm not even a German speaker :cuckoo:

Zirconek
11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Damn, now there's one that plays that music of Maroon5 :mad:

Zirconek
11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Damn, now there's one that plays that music of Maroon5 :mad:

it's not Maroon5, it's James Blunt's "You're beautiful" actually.

Ivanatis
11-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Germans are instructed to invest into Brazilian eucalyptus plantations to make big cash:D

but at least it's silent

Peta Pan
11-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I've never had an ad on MTF with sound, I can't even comprehend being stuck with that :eek: .... is it only mainly the German posters that get this? That's a bit bizarre (and quite unfair). Also is it only on the newer forum skin or on the old blue one too? Because I'm using the blue one where there is only a small ad strip across the top of the screen.

Ivanatis
12-07-2009, 04:09 PM
on the right there's an ad about Clean Whites, a teeth whitener

here you can read what they really are:
http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=121292

get rid off tis shit asap

theMEESH
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
i just want the mormon ad gone. makes me feel guilty and i don't know what for

Iván
12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
put some tiger woods gillete adverts

theMEESH
12-15-2009, 07:01 PM
what the fuck? inmate-connection.com?

how do these get chosen? :lol:

KarlyM
12-15-2009, 10:42 PM

Problem solved. Works like a charm for me. :worship: Plus I use it to block the MTF banner at the top (I kept hitting the links by accident) and block the Tennis Forum banner on the right with the scary Serena pic. :lol:

i just want the mormon ad gone. makes me feel guilty and i don't know what for
what the fuck? inmate-connection.com?

how do these get chosen? :lol: So this is what I'm missing out on... :haha:

Aenea
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Pls give me a tip how to block that blinking green ad on the right side of the board sying Not a joke Congrats you won blabla :mad: I already have problems with my eyes :sad: and this annoying ad is just giving me more troubles blinking nonstop in this bright color. Every second time I change the page and that ad pops up. Any advice is welcome.

KaiserT
05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
This is an absolute farce.

Dini
05-18-2010, 11:38 PM
What KaiserT said.

MTF. :retard:

Zirconek
05-19-2010, 12:44 AM
I have to agree, these infamous ads are awful (if not dangerous, and I'm being too careful here; don't click it is my advice).

Today there is a new one, announcing you could advertise in that space. :lol: is it the crisis? :o

Anyway, it seems with the next forum changes we will have more specific ads, related to tennis. At least it's what is expected. If the ads are annoying, I guess somehow they are needed to keep the site running.

KaiserT
05-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Take the airwick ad off or I leave MTF.

Ivanatis
05-20-2010, 09:30 PM
what is this Sparkasse Holstein ad:confused:
apart from the fact that I'm not particularly into male asses, it's surely not in accordance with youth protection regulations

KarlyM
05-20-2010, 11:01 PM
**turns off adblock**

WTF is with this creepy picture? -->

http://i48.tinypic.com/25irrcm.jpg :scared:

Thank goodness for adblock. :lol:

savesthedizzle
05-21-2010, 02:27 AM
**turns off adblock**

WTF is with this creepy picture? -->

http://i48.tinypic.com/25irrcm.jpg :scared:

Thank goodness for adblock. :lol:

:scared: That creepy dude accompanies an ad? I don't want to turn off my adblock to see :lol:

Ivanatis
06-15-2010, 09:52 AM
No, I don't give a shit if this pic is real. Flexing his skin that much beyond natural is just disgusting. Get rid off it (the ad, not the skin)

Steve
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
When you report ads it helps if you can post the day if possible the time you saw the ad and where on the site. telling me to get rid of something or you are leaving is not going to help if i cant track it down for ad-traffic to be able to switch it out.

theMEESH
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
so next time i get that creepy inmateconnection.com one... i should tell you when i get it?

Ivanatis
06-15-2010, 03:17 PM
When you report ads it helps if you can post the day if possible the time you saw the ad and where on the site. telling me to get rid of something or you are leaving is not going to help if i cant track it down for ad-traffic to be able to switch it out.

A sound assumption is that it was there when I posted it, isn't it? :shrug: Apart from that the one I'm referring to has been there for quite a while. And it was on the right side. Users telling you which ads you use where and at what particular time? As good as it gets.

theMEESH
06-15-2010, 03:22 PM
print screen maybe? ... that's what i'm going to do next time i get that creepy ass ad.

Lee
06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
The trouble I have with ads is my IE8 (I am running Window 7) force me to close the window when there's something unsavory with any of the ads here. :p Thus, I don't even know which ad cause the trouble. :p I can only guess it's a particular ad because once the window was closed, my IE8 will automatically reopen the page and sometimes the browser reopen with no problem and sometimes, I have to keep repeating the steps. :shrug:

theMEESH
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
FINALLY! an ad i can look at forever... Burberry sale :inlove: although my wallet hates you guys right now.

straitup
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
There was this hilarious one that I didn't get to Print Screen, but it was of some Baby Maker :rolls: The pictures were hilarious

MsTree
02-27-2011, 07:25 PM
One of the ads is sparking off a virus warning from AVG, can't tell you which one as AVG's blocked it...

Kat_YYZ
04-26-2013, 04:02 PM
why is this stupid horizontal banner trying to appear on the side, where it clearly doesn't fit and breaks the screen? :stupid:

ProdigyEng
04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Kat is mad :o.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Litotes
04-26-2013, 04:20 PM
why is this stupid horizontal banner trying to appear on the side, where it clearly doesn't fit and breaks the screen? :stupid:

I've had those myself, but they don't last. One click on "User CP" and they're gone.

Kat_YYZ
04-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I've had those myself, but they don't last. One click on "User CP" and they're gone.

doesn't work for me :shrug:
I mean it's there in a thread, then I go back to GM main page and it's not. Then I go back to the thread and it's there again. Go to user CP it's gone. GO to GM main page and now it's on the GM main page. Go to another thread page and there it is again. Go to another thread page and it's not there; go back to GM main page and it's back again, etc. :banghead:

Lee
04-26-2013, 06:51 PM

Happened to me many many many times :(

Snowwy
04-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Its been reported.

Snowwy
04-27-2013, 08:37 PM

This is what I have been told to do.

When you see the ad again, click it, copy the url, and PM it to me. Then I will send in a ticket to get that ad removed from the site.

Kat_YYZ
05-01-2013, 06:07 AM
^^ Aye aye, Captain Snowwy! :hatoff:

Guest12315544
05-01-2013, 04:22 PM
How is this happening? I thought one of the ideas of being a premium member was that you didn't see Ads? Also I have Ad block on my commuter and I don't see any ads at all! I was getting those words done in green which has stopped, but those weren't Ad pictures.

Kat_YYZ
05-02-2013, 05:42 AM
How is this happening? I thought one of the ideas of being a premium member was that you didn't see Ads? Also I have Ad block on my commuter and I don't see any ads at all! I was getting those words done in green which has stopped, but those weren't Ad pictures.

when I upgraded, I stopped seeing the ad at the top of the page, but still get ones on the side and bottom. I don't have any ad blockers though. :shrug:

I don't mind ads if they don't screw up my screen, make sounds (anyone remember that insufferable "Congratulations, you won!" one? :lol:) or harm my computer. I mean we all need to make money, so I understand that the site needs them.

Guest12315544
05-02-2013, 05:48 AM
It has been so long since I upgraded that I can't be 100% positive, but I don't believe I ever said any Ads after I upgraded and that was before I had Ad block!

Snowwy
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
when I upgraded, I stopped seeing the ad at the top of the page, but still get ones on the side and bottom. I don't have any ad blockers though. :shrug:

I don't mind ads if they don't screw up my screen, make sounds (anyone remember that insufferable "Congratulations, you won!" one? :lol:) or harm my computer. I mean we all need to make money, so I understand that the site needs them.

I forwarded what you sent me. :)

ProdigyEng
05-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I saw adverts after I upgraded to premium but not all the time.

Steve
05-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Happened to me many many many times :(

Ad member from the Ad Traffic team is wondering if any of you are still seeing the misplaced ads breaking the screen?

Thanks.

~ Alan, Community Support

ProdigyEng
05-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Ad member from the Ad Traffic team is wondering if any of you are still seeing the misplaced ads breaking the screen?

Thanks.

Alan? The myth of steve has been ruined for me :sad:

Cereal Killer
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Just use Chrome and install AdBlock.

Kat_YYZ
05-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Twice today. From George Brown College. it was horizontal alongside the box for posting comments and squished the whole screen.

clicking the link showed some "ad.doubleclick" rerouting URL and then went to http://www.georgebrown.ca/hire/

by the way I'm at work using a different browser and computer than when I got these at home.

Kat_YYZ
05-07-2013, 10:56 PM
That George Brown College ad keeps following me around. :rolleyes:

I actually went to that college for 2 years for an Editing Certificate course. :haha:

Steve
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Twice today. From George Brown College. it was horizontal alongside the box for posting comments and squished the whole screen.

clicking the link showed some "ad.doubleclick" rerouting URL and then went to http://www.georgebrown.ca/hire/

by the way I'm at work using a different browser and computer than when I got these at home.

A member from the ad team is puzzled as to why this is happening because she said the coding and Hor./Ver. slots are correct. we're still trying to get to the bottom of this. Sorry for all the questions, but are all ads in that area of the page breaking it up? Or the just the companies you mentioned (Heineken, BB, Clearly, George Brown).

Thanks Kat.

Kat_YYZ
10-01-2013, 06:38 PM
A few times I've had a new tab open with this site or been rerouted there altogether, just while going from one page to another on MTF:

http://www.erasethatdebt.com/CA/V2/1a.asp?Network=63

Kat_YYZ
02-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Screen-breaking ads (horizontal ads where vertical ads should be) today on home page and every subforum except General Messages.

Kat_YYZ
02-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Hello!!! it's still doing it and now it's attacking me with redirects to sites that are telling me I need Java and Flash.

An ad saying "Windows Media Player Download" (that doesn't really look like it's from Windows) caused a second window to open with this address in the URL

http://www.winupdatevideos.com/cf/9/index.html?nym1CNH08suIsOexIxACGJy5oIquytPEGiIPMjA 0LjIyNS4xNTguMTYyKAEw05DDmAU.

Bogus-looking Windows ad (also there's a video ad below it playing a video of Rio de Janeiro and if you put your mouse over it, there is sound on the video):

Kat_YYZ
02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Screenshot of redirect for Flash to install "Lightspark" player. Note the dialog box when I try to close the window. Note I'm not even using Windows I'm on a Mac using Safari browser:

I have adblock at home so I don't see any of this stuff, though now I wonder if it's what caused my computer to completely freeze up yesterday at home.

Lee
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Thanks.

These is happening again for the last 3/4 days. Horizonatal ads taking up more than half of my page.

It happens in Safari, Chrome and Silk

Lee
02-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Same ad but one is vertical while the other horizontal

edit: I noticed it's always the third ad that mess up. Being horizontal instead of vertical.

Lee
02-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Also, when I try to use the app to upload my screen print of the problem from my ipad, I get this error message which I had no problem before.

Lee
03-17-2014, 08:20 PM
These is happening again for the last 3/4 days. Horizonatal ads taking up more than half of my page.

It happens in Safari, Chrome and Silk

Same ad but one is vertical while the other horizontal

edit: I noticed it's always the third ad that mess up. Being horizontal instead of vertical.

Still happening although it's not as frequent. Any update?

samanosuke
03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
really don't understand why is using Adblock and similar addons so complicated