President Bush attacked in Iraq [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

President Bush attacked in Iraq

RickDaStick
12-14-2008, 07:28 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSHNRNi91wQ&eurl=

very good reflexes from the president....

Voo de Mar
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
:yippee:

Snoo Foo
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
dude aren't his secret service dudes spost to jump in front of shit that is coming directly at his head????? I can kinda understand how they missed the first projectile but the dude then threw a second shoe!!! But good thing he was a cheerleader as a younger man, prolly where he got that catlike dexterity and reflexes.

Albop
12-14-2008, 07:44 PM
The next time you will get him :yeah:

BigJohn
12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
OMFG. This is GREAT. And the quote from the attacker:

"This is a farewell kiss, you dog!"

And thanks to the journalist pointing out the fact that the sole of the shoe is considered to be "an insult". REALLY??

Awesome. This guy is a hero.

:banana:

Neely
12-14-2008, 08:58 PM
dude aren't his secret service dudes spost to jump in front of shit that is coming
Dito, I was wondering exactly the same, especially how they still did nothing to protect the President after Bush ducked because of the first shoe that was thrown at him.

Snoo Foo
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
And thanks to the journalist pointing out the fact that the sole of the shoe is considered to be "an insult".

I'm no expert on cultural anthropology, but I think it's meant to be especially insulting if the shoe is flying directly at your face.

Dito, I was wondering exactly the same, especially how they still did nothing to protect the President after Bush ducked because of the first shoe that was thrown at him.

maybe at this point they're just chillin back at the white house until obama moves in.

Sofonda Cox
12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
the only unfortunate thing i can think of is that the journalist is bad at throwing

TankingTheSet
12-14-2008, 10:49 PM
LOL I noticed some of the bystanders kicking down on the person after he was on the ground.

Ironically if something really bad was to happen to president Bush during his visit to Iraq that would be about the only scenario where his reputation and legacy would not be so bad among future generations.

prima donna
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Tasteless.

SwiSha
12-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Priceless

NinaNina19
12-14-2008, 11:02 PM
President's reflexes :worship:.

~Maya~
12-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Good reflexes!

I wonder what is going to happen to this guy. Shoes/ no shoes, this was an attack on the President of The United States who made a welcomed visit to Iraq. Is this an anti American act, or anti Bush act or just a crazy man act???

buddyholly
12-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Bush quipped, "That was a 10.''

Full marks to him for wit.

Not a very professional job by the reporter.

finishingmove
12-15-2008, 02:22 AM
poor guy. he's in alot of trouble now, and he didn't even hit the target.

Snoo Foo
12-15-2008, 02:40 AM
:worship: bushie's ice cold, he doesn't run for cover or anything, or start yelling or freaking out, just bobs & weaves like a true champion and gives the dude a look like, want some? get some! :worship:

Arkulari
12-15-2008, 02:44 AM
today it was a shoe, tomorrow it could be a M67 grenade? :unsure:
those bodyguards really suck big time, the guy had time to throw BOTH shoes :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
12-15-2008, 04:02 AM
:eek: Obama is going to die really soon. What a crappy security team?. Where do they think they are. So .. american :smash: I dislike Dubya but i'd never wish harm to him.

Shame on people who think this is funny.

psichogaucho
12-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Finally GW Bush found the massive destruction weapons.

alfonsojose
12-15-2008, 04:05 AM

Gitmo newbie :help:

alfonsojose
12-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Finally GW Bush found the massive destruction weapons.

:lol:

EKSTREMISTA
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
:worship:
:!:
http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2008/Dec/Week3/15180571.jpg

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2008/Dec/Week3/15180575.jpg

"This is a farewell kiss, you dog!
This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq," shouted Al Baghdadia channel journalist ,Muntadar al-Zeidi

Denaon
12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I could not help to laugh my ass off when I saw the clip...hard times will be coming to the almost former US president...:armed:

EKSTREMISTA
12-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Shoe-Throwing Reporter In Custody

A journalist who threw shoes at George Bush is being questioned over the incident, Iraqi officials have said.
Muntadar al Zeidi is facing interrogation over whether he was paid to interrupt the US President's news conference in Baghdad.

The reporter, who works for the Al Baghdadia channel which broadcasts from Cairo, is also being tested for alcohol and drugs.

The reporter jumped up as Mr Bush was speaking alongside the Iraqi prime minister Nuri al Maliki on Sunday.

He shouted, "It is the farewell kiss, you dog," before throwing two shoes.

The first hit the US and Iraqi flags behind the leaders after Mr Bush ducked. The second was off target.

The reporter was immediately wrestled to the ground by security guards and marched out of the room.

Zeidi's employers described him as a "proud Arab and an open-minded man" and said they feared for his safety

"Al Baghdadia television demands that the Iraqi authorities immediately release their stringer Muntadar al Zeidi, in line with the democracy and freedom of expression that the American authorities promised the Iraqi people," it said in a statement.
:)

Iraqi officials say Zeidi, who is in his late 20s, is being held at the prime minister's headquarters.

~Maya~
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
"Al Baghdadia television demands that the Iraqi authorities immediately release their stringer Muntadar al Zeidi, in line with the democracy and freedom of expression that the American authorities promised the Iraqi people," it said in a statement.

I am not sure that they understand what democracy and freedom of expression actually mean. Trying to hit somebody in the head with a shoe? :scratch:

BigJohn
12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
It appears that Bush himself links this to democracy and freedom of expression...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/12/14/2008-12-14_man_throws_shoes_at_president_bush_durin-2.html

The President did his best to brush off the humiliation.

"It doesn't bother me," he said. "If you want the facts, it's a size-10 shoe that he threw."

"It's like going to a political rally and having people yell at you," the President added. "It's like driving down the street and having people not gesture with all five fingers. I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it."

Does that mean that Bush himself does not know what freedom of expression means?

~Maya~
12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Nah, He just lists stuff that don't bother him, trying to be :cool:

Bilbo
12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I would have done the same if he ever was near to me.

The world is sick of him so is the majority of Americans. I guess they are not too much interested in protecting him anymore as his time has ran out.

BigJohn
12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I wonder if Muntadar al Zeidi actually feels the admiration and love of the millions of people who approve of his brave act?

scarecrows
12-15-2008, 07:48 PM

he's gonna be the laugh of the prison for that missed shot

Scotso
12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
It's quite sad some people find this amusing and just.

That reporter better be glad that security pulled him out of there before old Georgie opened up a can of Texas Whoopass on him.

BigJohn
12-15-2008, 09:57 PM
It is definitely not just since neither shoes hit the target...

Snoo Foo
12-15-2008, 10:48 PM
mmm, as to whether it was just, meh, leave the judging to allah, but it was funny. mad funny.

smitty8
12-15-2008, 10:49 PM
They've shown that video clip so many times today. I was wondering just where the good old Secret Service was and they didn't even do much until after the second shoe was thrown, then Bush kind of waved them off and appeared to be amused by the whole thing. Guess he didn't know it was meant to be an insult. Good thing it was just a pair of shoes. I have to admit, I thought it was a bit funny.

Snoo Foo
12-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Guess he didn't know it was meant to be an insult.

ok so the guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but even he's gotta realize that when someone throws shoes at your face, with great force, it's not a sign of love and respect.

alfonsojose
12-15-2008, 11:41 PM
BTW, The reportes is hot :drool:

fast_clay
12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
shoe thrower has some good form... both shoes were on target until bush's 'nam experience vs charlie kicked in...

buddyholly
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
I wonder if Muntadar al Zeidi actually feels the admiration and love of the millions of people who approve of his brave act?

He should love the people who made this gesture possible in Iraq.

Clydey
12-16-2008, 01:39 AM
http://halk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/if.gif

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr176/pieplough/afb72b85_bushdodge.gif

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr176/pieplough/1d3d9710_bushsneeuwbal.gif

smitty8
12-16-2008, 02:43 AM
:spit: Clydey, I love them all!

finishingmove
12-16-2008, 02:47 AM
good to see what really happened, clydey, and not what the media want us to believe.

Snoo Foo
12-16-2008, 02:58 AM
does that reindeer's expression remind anyone else of monfils?

fast_clay
12-16-2008, 03:06 AM
'his head... it moves back... and to the right... .... again... back... and to the right... there was only one shoe fired, not two'
Magic Shoe Theory

Clydey
12-16-2008, 03:15 AM
'his head... it moves back... and to the right... .... again... back... and to the right... there was only one shoe fired, not two'
Magic Shoe Theory

There was a second shoeman on the grassy noll.

It is further evidence of Bush's ineptitude. A great President like Kennedy gets assasinated and goes down in legend, whereas Bush gets a shoe thrown at him.

Richard_from_Cal
12-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Hmmm. Where'd my post go?

Denaon
12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

who knows? :shrug:

Scotso
12-16-2008, 11:59 AM

I ate it.

EKSTREMISTA
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Muntadar al-Zaidi Did What We Journalists Should Have Done Long Ago
By Dave Lindorff

When Iraqi journalist Muntadar al-Zaidi heaved his two shoes at the
head of President George W. Bush during a press conference in Baghdad,
he did something that the White House press corps should have done
years ago.

Al-Zaidi listened to Bush blather that the half-decade of war he
had initiated with the illegal invasion of Iraq had been “necessary for
US security, Iraqi stability (sic) and world peace” and something just
snapped. The television correspondent, who had been kidnapped and held
for a while last year by Shiite militants, pulled off a shoe and threw
it at Bush—a serious insult in Iraqi culture—and shouted “This is a
farewell kiss, you dog!” When the first shoe missed its target, he
grabbed a second shoe and heaved it too, causing the president to duck
a second time as al-Zaidi shouted, “This is from the widows, the
orphans, and those who were killed in Iraq!”

I’ll admit, listening to Bush lie his way through eight years of
press conferences, while pre-selected reporters played along and
pretended to get his attention so they could ask questions which had
been submitted and vetted in advance, I have felt like throwing my
shoes at the television set.

Al-Zaidi, who paid for his courageous act of protest by being
brutally beaten by security guards, is a hero of the profession. He
stopped taking the president’s BS and called him what he is: a murderer
and a criminal, with the blood of perhaps upwards of a million Iraqis
on his hands. Al-Zaidi used what was supposed to be a staged photo-op
for the president as an opportunity to speak up for those whose lives
have been ruined by this president—the ones our suck-up journalists
routinely ignore.

I’m not suggesting that journalists should routinely leave
presidential press conferences in their stocking feet. We have
different ways of expressing our sentiments to people we feel have
insulted our intelligence than throwing shoes at them, but it would be
nice to see a journalist or two flip the president the bird when he
lies so blatantly to them. Or they could all get up and just walk out,
leaving him standing alone at the presidential lectern.

It’s time for the press corps to stop treating presidents like
royalty. If he accomplished anything at all in eight years in office,
President Bush has demonstrated that, to the contrary, the president is
a very ordinary—and in his case a rather less than ordinary—man. The
office of president deserves no more respect than that of the mayor of
Detroit, or of Wasilla.

My suggestion is that the press corps use the remaining five weeks
of the Bush administration to develop a new relationship with the
presidency—one in which they drop all the phony propriety and tradition
and start acting like boisterous newshounds of old, barking questions,
laughing cruelly at inane answers, demanding follow-ups when they are
given the run-around, and, where necessary, walking out, or perhaps
tossing the occasional shoe.

The journalism profession was a full-blown disaster and an utter
disgrace during the Bush administration, and with all the crises facing
the country and the world, in part because of that failure on their
part, we cannot afford to have them continue that failure into the
Obama administration.

With the Bush administration reduced to a running joke at this
point, it gives the journalism profession a chance to redeem itself by
using these few remaining weeks to establish a new tradition for
presidential press conferences and photo-ops—one that can continue on
into the new presidency.

Meanwhile, I’m suggesting that my alma mater, the Columbia
University Graduate School of Journalism, hire al=Zaidi to teach a
class in press conference journalism techniques. They should make it a
multi-year appointment, because if he left after just one year, his
would be difficult shoes to fill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTE: Speaking of shoes and the White House, Skip Mendler of
Honesdale, PA has a great idea. He suggests that everyone who is
disgusted with the outgoing Bush/Cheney administration send a shoe to
the White House. Just imagine a pile up of a million smelly old running
shoes in the White House mailroom! I think he's got something. Spread
the word!

http://www.b92.net/news/pics/2008/12/5731393344946f44d5d107913217924_big.jpg

Henry Chinaski
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
"I'm not sure what his beef was" - GWB

He might not be the most popular president in history but no doubt he's the coolest and would be the most fun to nail a few beers with

Voo de Mar
12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr176/pieplough/1d3d9710_bushsneeuwbal.gif

:haha: Iraqi "Prime Minister" is extraordinary :haha:

tangerine_dream
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
My suggestion is that the press corps use the remaining five weeks
of the Bush administration to develop a new relationship with the
presidency—one in which they drop all the phony propriety and tradition
and start acting like boisterous newshounds of old, barking questions,
laughing cruelly at inane answers, demanding follow-ups when they are
given the run-around, and, where necessary, walking out, or perhaps
tossing the occasional shoe.

If people thought the media was too lean and acquiescent with Bush (which they were and I believe they are partly to blame for why the Bush administration was such a failure) just wait until Obama takes office. The media worships this man, and that could prove just as troubling.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rfsqs6.gif

alfonsojose
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
does that reindeer's expression remind anyone else of monfils?

buddyholly
12-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I note Lindorff is a product of Columbia University.

'Nuff said.

dorkino
12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
"I don't know what the guy's cause is... I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it".

Wow,the guy freakily gets 10 times more dumber every second of his life.But on a serious and an ironic note, both former dictatorship and current fake democracy got their recorded farewell greeting with shoes and insults. Hope things won't turn out to be too hard for the journalist though.

Black Adam
12-16-2008, 08:54 PM
If people thought the media was too lean and acquiescent with Bush (which they were and I believe they are partly to blame for why the Bush administration was such a failure) just wait until Obama takes office. The media worships this man, and that could prove just as troubling.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rfsqs6.gif
They love him for a good reason, he knows how to speak. Now let's seeif he will deliver all he haspromised, or even try to do it.

Richard_from_Cal
12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
I ate it.
Congratulations, to you….so long as it doesn’t make your post count go higher.
"I don't know what the guy's cause is... I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it".

Wow,the guy freakily gets 10 times more dumber every second of his life.But on a serious and an ironic note, both former dictatorship and current fake democracy got their recorded farewell greeting with shoes and insults. Hope things won't turn out to be too hard for the journalist though.Wow. Shakes head, walks away.

tangerine_dream
12-16-2008, 09:21 PM
They love him for a good reason, he knows how to speak. Now let's seeif he will deliver all he haspromised, or even try to do it.
I'm sure Obama has every intention of trying to make good on his campaign promises. But see, here's what I'm saying: after eight years of Bush setting the bar to a record low for how a President should behave and sound like, anybody who can put a decent speech together without peppering it with a bunch of embarrassing malapropisms will be viewed as an intellectual savior.

And I know there's a lot of hope riding on Obama but any normal citizen should be wary when somebody as powerful as the President has practically the entire media in his pocket right from the get-go. Even the "other" media is afraid to touch him. Think how dangerous and powerful a weapon that can be. Just look at how the Bush machine managed to kowtow the media into protecting him and his corrupt administration from far worse criticism than he has received, including impeachment, which should have been a no-brainer. This is not a truly free and diverse media anymore and it is ultimately a detriment to the American people who become less capable of making any kind of informed opinion.

Arkulari
12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
history is written by the winners, we only get to know what they want us to know in the amount they consider necessary, would our history books be written differently if the nazis would have won WWII? of course, and the mainstream media keeps brainwashing people and making them believe what they want, there are things that we will never know :shrug:

that's what happening with Obama, everyone worships him for being smarter than Bush (which is not hard, 'cuz the guy is as :retard: as it gets) and since he's part of the "opressed" minories and a smart guy then he's like the savior of the USA, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but changing the whole american establishment is too hard a task on anyone to do it :shrug:

BigJohn
12-16-2008, 11:34 PM
The guy will get a legal dream team (including Saddam Hussein's former lawyer) for his trial and some nuts is willin to pay 10 millions for the shoes.

"They confiscated his mobile, I tried calling him but no answer. No one knows where he is now," Dr. Abdul Hussain Shaaban, former managing director of Al Baghdadiya Satellite TV, told Gulf News.

Shaaban, who is also a human rights activist, said he was approached by several Arab laywers wanting to defend Al Zaidi and many journalist associations, like Reporters Without Borders have expressed concern.

Saddam Hussain's former lawyer, Khalil Al Dulaimi, said on Monday that he was forming a team to defend Al Zaidi.

"It was the least thing for an Iraqi to do to Bush, the tyrant criminal who has killed two million people in Iraq and Afghanistan," said Dulaimi. "Zaidi should be released immediately."
http://www.gulfnews.com/region/Iraq/10267331.html

A Saudi man offered $10 million (Dh36.7 million) to buy the famous shoes of Iraqi journalist Muntadar Al Zaidi.

Sixty-year-old Hassan Mohammad Makhafa, from Aseer, south west of Saudi Arabia, said he is ready to sell all his properties to buy Al Zaidi's shoes, which he described as a "medal of freedom" to put them on offer at a public auction.

Dignitaries of the Saudi man's tribe expressed their solidarity with Makhafa and their willingness to share with him the price of the shoes.

http://www.gulfnews.com/region/Iraq/10267885.html

fast_clay
12-17-2008, 01:44 AM
"I'm not sure what his beef was" - GWB

He might not be the most popular president in history but no doubt he's the coolest and would be the most fun to nail a few beers with

yeah well... heh heh... ask 'Black Belt' John Newcombe....

Now that the Bush campaign has finally had to admit it, we all think we know what happened on that night in Kennebunkport so long ago. In the very early hours of September 4, 1976, George W. Bush was heading erratically for home on Ocean Drive when his car was stopped by Officer Calvin Bridges. Also in the car were his sister, Dorothy, Australian tennis star John Newcombe, and Mrs. Newcombe.

later in the article...

George Snr on that '76 Kennebunkport incident:

“About three or four days before the election, the reports were beginning to get very positive, upbeat; then along comes the Kennebunkport incident with John Newcombe. I stayed awake all night and the next day. Barbara and I had totally forgotten about it.** Calvin, the police officer, came to our house and said, ‘George, I got to take you in.’ I don’t know what really happened that night. George was with John Newcombe, a black-belt beer drinker. He was arrested for driving too slow. He accepted the responsibility.”

source: http://www.badattitudes.com/DUIDubya.html

Henry Chinaski
12-17-2008, 02:05 AM
haha. "black-belt beer drinker" is a superb phrase.

EKSTREMISTA
12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Computer game:)

http://www.ridiculopathy.com/crappy_flash_games.php?gamename=bushoes

EKSTREMISTA
12-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Dana Black eye Perino

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01207/perino_1207372c.jpg

Dana Perino,the spokeswoman was injured when a heavy metal microphone stand swung round at her as security guards rushed to restrain Mr Zaidi, reports said.

She looks smarter now.;)

alfonsojose
12-19-2008, 03:17 AM
The hero :drool: he's sexy

~Maya~
12-19-2008, 03:20 AM
He is handsome. Cannot imaging him taking off shoes and trowing them at somebody.

EKSTREMISTA
12-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Shoe-thrower gets marriage proposal!

An Egyptian man offered his 20-year-old daughter in marriage to Muntazer al-Zaidi, the Iraqi journalist who threw shoe at the US President George W Bush in Baghdad. He's been offered $10 million and job offers for one of the shoes.
CJ: Aaalli Kumar , 22 hours ago Views:201 Comments:0
DID THE Iraqi journalist, Muntazer al-Zaidi actually anticipate all that was coming his way for throwing shoe at the US President George W Bush in Baghdad on Sunday? He sure would not have estimated the gains!

On Wednesday (December 17), an Egyptian man offered his 20-year-old daughter in marriage to Zaidi.

"This is something that would honour me. I would like to live in Iraq, especially if I were attached to this hero," said the daughter Amal Saad Gumma..

Saad Gumaa, the father said he had called Dergham, Zaidi’s brother, to tell him of the offer. "I find nothing more valuable than my daughter to offer to him and I am prepared to provide her with everything needed for marriage," he added.
Other Articles by Aaalli Kumar
John Abraham in birthday suit?
more >>

Zaidi’s response to the proposal was not immediately clear.

Bush is despised across the Arab world for the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and for his support to Israel. Ans Zaidi’s shoe-throw has clicked big time with the people there.

There are reports that the journalist has been offered $ 10 million and job offers for one of the shoes. A Saudi entrepreneur was reported by Saudi media as offering $10 million for one of Zeidi’s pair of shoes thrown at Bush.

An Iraqi businessman is also offering any price for the shoes while the technical director of the Iraqi football team Adnan Hamad offered $100,000 for the footwear that has become a symbol of the Iraqi people’s disgust over what they see as Bush oppressive policies against them.
;)

finishingmove
12-19-2008, 09:12 AM
bush dodges everything

6lXxvESLySM

alfonsojose
12-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Shoe-thrower gets marriage proposal!
;)
I'd marry him. That would be enough punishment :devil:

EKSTREMISTA
12-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Al-Zaidi: 'I'd Throw Shoes Again' While Sales of the Footwear Soar

Posted by Lisa Derrick, Firedoglake at 10:43 AM on December 22, 2008

The trial of shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi, charged with assaulting a foreign head of state visiting Iraq, begins Dec. 31. Abdul Satar Birqadr, spokesman for Iraq's High Judicial Council, said a three-judge panel would hear the case:

The case is not complicated, and I expect it won't take a great deal of time to reach a ruling.

U.S.-backed Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has condemned al-Zaidi's actions, but reportedly he will not want to alienate al-Zaidi's supporters: Provincial elections are next month. The prime minister met with Iraqi journalists Sunday, praising the media and pledging justice would run its course -- even if that meant al-Zaidi went free. Iraqi authorities will give the media full access to the trial, due in part to the worldwide interest and sensitivity of the case.

Al-Zaidi's brother said the reporter would toss footwear again if he had the chance. Reuters reports:

Uday al-Zaidi said his brother had told an investigative judge Sunday that he had expected to be shot after hurling his first shoe.

But when that did not happen, " 'that gave me time to throw the second (shoe),' " al-Zaidi quoted his brother. " 'If the clock were turned back, I'd do the same thing over again.' "

The journalist shows signs of have been beaten, his brother and lawyer report, and that his brother

had been tortured into telling the authorities that someone persuaded him to throw his shoes at Bush.

Meanwhile, Istanbul shoemaker Ramazan Baydan, who claims to have designed the black oxford known as Ducati Model 271 has seen his orders soar for what is now called "the Bush shoe." A British distributor placed an order for 95,000 pair, and a American company orderd 18,000 pair. Five thousand sales posters of the shoe with the slogan, "Goodbye Bush, Hello Democracy" in Turkish, Arabic and English are ready for distribution

Bush Shoe’ Gives Firm a Footing in the Market

By SEBNEM ARSU
Published: December 20, 2008
ISTANBUL — When a pair of black leather oxfords hurled at President Bush in Baghdad produced a gasp heard around the world, a Turkish cobbler had a different reaction: They were his shoes.
“We have been producing that specific style, which I personally designed, for 10 years, so I couldn’t have missed it, no way,” said Ramazan Baydan, a shoemaker in Istanbul. “As a shoemaker, you understand.”

Although his assertion has been impossible to verify — cobblers from Lebanon, China and Iraq have also staked claims to what is quickly becoming some of the most famous footwear in the world — orders for Mr. Baydan’s shoes, formerly known as Ducati Model 271 and since renamed “The Bush Shoe,” have poured in from around the world.

A new run of 15,000 pairs, destined for Iraq, went into production on Thursday, he said. A British distributor has asked to become the Baydan Shoe Company’s European sales representative, with a first order of 95,000 pairs, and an American company has placed an order for 18,000 pairs. Four distributors are competing to represent the company in Iraq, where Baydan sold 19,000 pairs of this model for about $40 each last year.

Five thousand posters advertising the shoes, on their way to the Middle East and Turkey, proclaim “Goodbye Bush, Welcome Democracy” in Turkish, English and Arabic.

For now, Mr. Baydan’s customers will have to take his word for it. The journalist who launched the shoes at a news conference a week ago, Muntader al-Zaidi, 29, was wrestled to the ground by guards and has not been seen in public since. Explosives tests by investigators destroyed the offending footwear.

But Mr. Baydan insists he recognizes his shoes. Given their light weight, just under 11 ounces each, and clunky design, he said he was amazed by their aerodynamics. Both shoes rocketed squarely at Mr. Bush’s head and missed only because of deft ducks by the president.

Throwing a shoe at someone is a gross insult in Arab countries, and Mr. Bush is widely unpopular in much of the region. But as he enters his last weeks in office, he seems to have gained a small foothold of appreciation here.

Noting the spike in sales, Serkan Turk, Baydan’s general manager, said, “Mr. Bush served some good purpose to the economy before he left.”

EKSTREMISTA
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist sentenced to 3 years in prison
The Iraqi journalist who became famous around the world for throwing his shoes at former US President George W Bush was sentenced to three years in prison yesterday.
"Long live Iraq," shouted an unrepentant Muntader al-Zeidi, 30, as a judge announced his sentence.

Hurling a shoe at someone is seen as a serious insult in the Muslim and Arab world and Mr Zeidi's act made him a hero across the Middle East.

Mr Zeidi pleaded not guilty, claiming the incident was a justifiable response to the damage he said America had done to his country.

Dhia al-Saadi, the senior advocate on his defence team said they would be appealing the decision saying it did not constitute a crime.

"It was an act of throwing a shoe and not a rocket. It was meant as an insult to the occupation," he said.

The charge against him, aggression against the head of a foreign country, could have carried a fifteen year jail sentence.

Mr Zeidi made news around the world when he threw his shoes at Mr Bush at a joint media conference last December with the Iraqi prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki.

He threw one shoe and then a second which a fast moving Mr Bush managed to duck and miss both times.

He then shouted, "It is the farewell kiss, you dog," before being wrestled down by security officials.

The courtroom yesterday was packed with media, supporters and the journalist's relatives who were surrounded by dozens of armed policemen.

Mr Zeidi's case has captured the imagination of many in the region. There have been large street rallies in his defence. In Iraq a large sculpture of a shoe was even displayed briefly in his honour.

He and his family have claimed he was abused during his interrogations by authorities with beatings and electrical shocks, something Iraqi government officials have denied.

Mr Zeidi, a television reporter in Bagdad, had told the court during the proceedings that he had he lost control of his temper during the press conference.

"I had the feeling that the blood of innocent people was dropping on my feet during the time that he was smiling and coming to say bye-bye to Iraq with a dinner," he testified.

"So I took the first shoe and threw it but it did not hit him. Then spontaneously I took the second shoe but it did not hit him either. I was not trying to kill the commander of the occupation forces of Iraq," he said.

Kolya
03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
3 years... that bs...

Political prisoner here...

EKSTREMISTA
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.novosti.rs/upload/images/2009/03mar/1203/svet-Cipela.jpg