Roger is still the best where it matters [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger is still the best where it matters

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Now I know I'm a fedfan so I may be biased, but I still think that Roger actually had the best 2008 season.

The slams are pretty much all that matters in the long run and:
-Roger outperformed Nole by a margin
-it may seems strange but Roger won just as many matches as Rafa at GSs this year, I give him the edge because he's the only player to reach 3 GRAND SLAMS FINALS this year and he was suffering from mononucleosis during the only GS where he failed to reach the final. As opposed to just two for Rafa.
-I'm not even going to talk about the rest of the tour

In my opinion this proves that, even sick, on the biggest stages Roger is still the nr1 player in the world, what do you think?

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
:spit:

finishingmove
12-13-2008, 04:07 PM
irrefutable logic

Black Adam
12-13-2008, 04:14 PM
In my opinion this proves that, even sick, on the biggest stages Roger is still the nr1 player in the world, what do you think?
Poor troling attempt.

P.S. What's the story with your siggy picture?? Is it real or photoshoped?

Foxy
12-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Roger was sick? I didn't notice. When?

Lleyton_
12-13-2008, 04:16 PM
:rocker:

Crazy Girl
12-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Now I know I'm a fedfan so I may be biased, but I still think that Roger actually had the best 2008 season.

-it may seems strange but Roger won just as many matches as Rafa at GSs this year, I give him the edge because he's the only player to reach 3 GRAND SLAMS FINALS this year and he was suffering from mononucleosis during the only GS where he failed to reach the final. As opposed to just two for Rafa.

Even sick...yes. If in 2009 he can stand in his abitual form (entirely in health - out of mononucleosis) I've no doubt our Roger will reach the n° 1 again. In my heart he's always in that way....the sweet Rogi is a pleasure for our eyes! The biggest gift!:hatoff::woohoo::woohoo::hatoff::smooch:ciao: smooch:

federernadalfan
12-13-2008, 04:20 PM
:lol:

finishingmove
12-13-2008, 04:20 PM

apparently, neither did he.

they told him when it was over

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Poor troling attempt.

P.S. What's the story with your siggy picture?? Is it real or photoshoped?
It's not photoshopped :lol:
He got sick first during the off season, but didn't know at the time what it was, then he got sick again right before the AO, lost 5 or 6 pounds and had to spend a few nights at the hospital. He felt tired during the AO but couldn't figure out why, he then got sick again in february before Dubai and that's when he learned he'd had mono (=glandular fever).

It's strange you didn't notice as I know it was talked about quite often on this board. But, between you and me, I think some people thought it was just an excuse to explain his poor results at the beginning of the year :rolleyes:

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Even sick...yes. If in 2009 he can stand in his abitual form (entirely in health - out of mononucleosis) I've no doubt our Roger will reach the n° 1 again. In my heart he's always in that way....the sweet Rogi is a pleasure for our eyes! The biggest gift!:hatoff::woohoo::woohoo::hatoff::smooch:ciao: smooch:

:hug::hug::hug:

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:23 PM
irrefutable logic
Are you making fun of me?
I agree completely :worship:

Game.Set.Match..
12-13-2008, 04:25 PM
facts speak for themselves. in fact i think all top 10 spots should be reserved for roger just to illustrate the gulf between him and the rest of the tour.

scarecrows
12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
It's not photoshopped :lol:

He got sick first during the off season, but didn't know at the time what it was, then he got sick again right before the AO, lost 5 or 6 pounds and had to spend a few nights at the hospital. He felt tired during the AO but couldn't figure out why, he then got sick again in february before Dubai and that's when he learned he'd had mono (=glandular fever).

true dat, poor fella

let's hope in a healthy 2009 :rocker:

LinkMage
12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I hate to disagree with this but 2 slams > 1 slam.

End of topic.

Game.Set.Match..
12-13-2008, 04:27 PM

End of topic.

i dont see your logic.

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM

End of topic.
Yes, and 3 slams finals > 2 slam finals :confused:

LoveFifteen
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Roger is probably going to go down at the greatest player of all time. He is a phenomenal talent, and I will be very sad when he retires.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with recognizing that Nadal's year was better. I doubt there are any tennis players in the world who would chose to have Roger's year over Nadal's.

Exclusive
12-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I think every statement you wrote is the truth. I can't see anyone on this board disagree with an obvious.:shrug:

LoveFifteen
12-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Olympic Gold in singles > losing in the QF to James Blake :unsure:

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Rogi is da best!1!!! go Rogi:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

LinkMage
12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
i dont see your logic.

Nadull won 2 slams, Fedmug 1. Nadull had a better season. I don't see what's hard to comprehend here.

Being the champion >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Being the finalist

Hope this helps.

PS: Can't believe I'm defending Nadull but this idiotic thread made me do it. :o

Game.Set.Match..
12-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Being the champion >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Being the finalist

Hope this helps.

everyone knows its not about winning. its the taking part that counts.

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Olympic Gold in singles > losing in the QF to James Blake :unsure:
Olympic gold in singles = olympic gold in doubles > losing in the 2nd round in straights to Guccione and Hewitt :shrug:

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Everyone is having a little fun, LinkMage mate; dont take it too seriously :p

and besides its off season ;)

scarecrows
12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
everyone knows its not about winning. its the taking part that counts.

exactly

King Oscar played 34 tournaments this year, more than everybody else from the top100 and that is why he is the undisputed no.1

LinkMage
12-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Should have known this was a sarcastic thread. My sarcasm detector isn't working today it seems. I was tricked into defending that disgusting Spaniard. :sad:

alfonsojose
12-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Elegance > Capri pants

Federerhingis
12-13-2008, 04:43 PM

I agree Roger will always be Roger and he'l always be special. ;)

End of topic. Nevertheless, '08 was a down year for sure.

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Maybe it's fun to you but I'm tired of seeing my favourite player being denigrated and his achievement being downplayed just because this board is overly pro Nadal.

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe it's fun to you but I'm tired of seeing my favourite player being denigrated and his achievement being downplayed just because this board is overly pro Nadal.

Then maybe you're taking GM too seriously

Crazy Girl
12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Poor troling attempt.

P.S. What's the story with your siggy picture?? Is it real or photoshoped?Black Adam, Elessar is right!! It isn't photoshopped!It's a very famous photo of Charles C. Ebbets "Lunch a top skyscraper" of 1932, building the Rockefeller Center.I love art photos very much!:wavey::wavey:Dear Elessar with your post you've loosing the hell! It takes a question about Roger and....:hearts::kiss::hearts::kiss::hearts:

elessar
12-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Then maybe you're taking GM too seriously
Believe it or not it's not the first time someone told me that.

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Believe it or not it's not the first time someone told me that.

And I would further like to add that this has always been the case with such boards, when a particualar player does well (really well), you get a bunch of people, out of no where, who start posting and disappear after sometime.

But there is nothing that we can do about it (only thing that we can control is how we take those comments). And no, this isn't just about Nadal, it was as bad or in fact even worse when Federer was at the top last year and when Nadal was having knee problems.

finishingmove
12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Are you making fun of me?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sheltomt/Fazed/Kitties/SeriousCat2.jpg

elessar
12-13-2008, 05:04 PM
It looks like it's about to spit something out on me :sad:

tennizen
12-13-2008, 05:09 PM
And I would further like to add that this has always been the case with such boards, when a particualar player does well (really well), you get a bunch of people, out of no where, who start posting and disappear after sometime.

But there is nothing that we can do about it (only thing that we can control is how we take those comments). And no, this isn't just about Nadal, it was as bad or in fact even worse when Federer was at the top last year and when Nadal was having knee problems.

I think its true that what we can do is only control how we react. But I think sometimes a healthy discussion by presenting facts is also necessary like elessar has done. She maybe a bit biased in saying that Federer is #1 in terms of slam performances but overall she has some very good points. Atleast her post shows that Fed has had very similar results as Nadal in terms of slams. I think we need more such objective posts backed by facts rather than just simple opinions.

HarryMan
12-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I think its true that what we can do is only control how we react. But I think sometimes a healthy discussion by presenting facts is also necessary like elessar has done. She maybe a bit biased in saying that Federer is #1 in terms of slam performances but overall she has some very good points. Atleast her post shows that Fed has had very similar results as Nadal in terms of slams. I think we need more such objective posts backed by facts rather than just simple opinions.

Absolutely, but I am not sure how many posters in GM actually do that. GM has been, for the most part, a place where X player fan accuses and calls out the Y player fanbase the worst and vice versa, because each person don't like to read negative comments (or maybe take other comments too seriously) on their particular favourite player, and at the same time enjoy throwing taunts and comments on the other players, even if there is some truth in it.

Coming back to Federer, I have always believed that Federer had a great year, it could have been a little better, but a great year nevertheless. Its just that someone produced even more exceptional results than him and toppled him, and I have no shame in admitting that. But ofcourse you will always have those members who would call this a shitty year (what can we do about it?, except for laughing over it and not taking it personally).

Black Adam
12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Black Adam, Elessar is right!! It isn't photoshopped!It's a very famous photo of Charles C. Ebbets "Lunch a top skyscraper" of 1932, building the Rockefeller Center.I love art photos very much!:wavey::wavey:Dear Elessar with your post you've loosing the hell!

It takes a question about Roger and....:hearts::kiss::hearts::kiss::hearts:
http://www.posterservice.com/bigpics/33008.jpg
It's just so strange to see them working on as if they weren't hundreds of feet above the ground. I think it's their casual behaviour tha makes the photo really special.

Men Asleep on a girder is even better:
http://www.gbposters.com/image/image/1444/FP0606.jpg

Corey Feldman
12-13-2008, 07:21 PM
he's still the best to me

but he's become a total mug against grinder opponents

he better start to figure it out or he wont be the best for much longer

MrChopin
12-13-2008, 08:10 PM

Me too. :sad:

As close as their results actually are (Nadal - 2900 points at slams, Federer - 2850), I still think Nadal clearly had the better year in the slams. Yes, Federer is better at slams than anyone else currently playing (and possibly ever), and he still almost outscored everyone while very inconsistent in a "bad" year after mono, but I think Nadal's results at slams this year are conclusively better given his two wins on different colored surfaces and the way he absolutely dominated a tough draw at the French. I can think of two main complaints against Nadal's slam performances this year: (1) hardcourt draws and (2) no hardcourt finals. Other than those, I don't think there is a very good point for claiming that Fed outperformed him at '08 slams.

But that's ok. :D The quiet one can have his year of limelight and such after several years of their battling. 2009 will be better for Roger and slams. He was looking a lot better near the end of the year in short matches of "less importance," and so I think his slam performance will be improved next year. I don't see him losing at a slam in straights to anyone (except of course our dear clay monster), and I presently doubt Djokovic and Murray's ability to knock him out in a best of five scenario. I think Fed gets two next year, but maybe he'll pull an '07 and again over-please the MTF minority.

Igaarg
12-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Elegance > Capri pants

:worship:

Igaarg
12-13-2008, 08:38 PM
To me Federer is the best, even he didnīt have the best year, he had great results. And I donīt like to compare him with Nadal, itīs just imposible.

BigJohn
12-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I completely agree with the title of this thread. The streak of reaching GS semis is proof enough. Yeah but the RG final? THE exception.

habibko
12-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Roger is still the best where it matters.... *disturbing mental images rushing*

:bolt:

Commander Data
12-14-2008, 01:48 PM

End of topic.

ditto.

Rog is the best but I'm sure he would trade his US Open for The French and Wimbledon anytime. Rafa outperformed him 08.

Nathaliia
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
This looks like a troll thread, but the fact is last year Federer wasn't the best where it mattered the most. Olympics doubles gold and winning US Open were important but not the season's highlights. If US Open title was backed up with another slam win, it would look much better for Fed. Besides, very disappointing TMC.

Action Jackson
12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Fed doesn't even have the best backhand in Switzerland.

elessar
12-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Fed doesn't even have the best backhand in Switzerland.
(I don't see what it has to do with this thread)

It's debatable at best. It breaks down even more often than Roger's and when it does the result isn't pretty. Losing 7-5 in a third set TB to Becker at home after having been twice up a break (and possibly having MPs) is proof enough of that.

I think a lot of people have missed my point (perhaps because my English isn't very good and for that I, humbly, apologize).

Even after having a really subpar year - compared to his usual standard - during which he really struggled, Roger managed to score just 50 points less than Rafa at the GSs. To me this shows he can still raise his game on the big occasions, more than anyone else in the world. The difference in Roger's level of plays between MM tournaments and GSs seems too staggering to deny it.:)

tennizen
12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
To me this shows he can still raise his game on the big occasions, more than anyone else in the world.

:)

Damn
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Olympic gold in singles = olympic gold in doubles > losing in the 2nd round in straights to Guccione and Hewitt :shrug:

I assume you were joking here. Otherwise, lay off the crack.

adee-gee
12-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Roger is still the best where it matters......

:o :o :o

I knew there must be a good reason why he ended up with a chick as hot as Mirka. Too big Rogi :hatoff:

Action Jackson
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
(I don't see what it has to do with this thread)

It's debatable at best. It breaks down even more often than Roger's and when it does the result isn't pretty. Losing 7-5 in a third set TB to Becker at home after having been twice up a break (and possibly having MPs) is proof enough of that.

I think a lot of people have missed my point (perhaps because my English isn't very good and for that I, humbly, apologize).

Even after having a really subpar year - compared to his usual standard - during which he really struggled, Roger managed to score just 50 points less than Rafa at the GSs. To me this shows he can still raise his game on the big occasions, more than anyone else in the world. The difference in Roger's level of plays between MM tournaments and GSs seems too staggering to deny it.:)

I am sorry, a troll thread deserves my initial response.

Saumon
12-16-2008, 07:49 AM
This thread title is misleading. :sad:

jmf07
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I would prefer to have Nadal's year than Federer's. French Open, Wimbledon, Olympic Singles Gold, World Number 1 ranking, 3 masters wins, Leading Spain to a Davis Cup Final, $6,773,773 vs. US Open, Olympic Doubles Gold, Losing World Number 1 ranking, 0 masters wins, $5,886,879

Scotso
12-16-2008, 08:54 AM

End of topic.

Seriously. Nadal also has a lot more points. I'm fairly confident that any player on the tour would take two slam wins over one slam win and two finals.

Nadal vs. Federer

2 slams vs. 1 slam
8 titles vs. 4 titles
3 masters series titles vs. 0 masters series titles
#1 ranking vs. #2 ranking
gold medal in singles vs. gold medal in doubles
4 wins against Federer vs. 0 wins against Nadal

Only the most massive Fedtard can claim that Federer had a better season.

http://www.posterservice.com/bigpics/33008.jpg
It's just so strange to see them working on as if they weren't hundreds of feet above the ground. I think it's their casual behaviour tha makes the photo really special.

I don't know how they do it. :scared: I wouldn't even have to fall; just being up that high on some tiny bar would be enough to kill me.

New Balls Please
12-16-2008, 08:55 AM
When we are comparing all-time lists he is the best. But currently, he is not the best as indicated in the rankings. Even in big tournaments / big matches he is vulnerable, so when it matters I would count on Nadal more than Federer.

Exclusive
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Nadal vs. Federer

2 slams vs. 1 slam
8 titles vs. 4 titles
3 masters series titles vs. 0 masters series titles
#1 ranking vs. #2 ranking
gold medal in singles vs. gold medal in doubles
4 wins against Federer vs. 0 wins against Nadal

Only the most massive Fedtard can claim that Federer had a better season.
Federer vs. Nadal
Being ill an illness which normally takes monthes and years to recover(e.g.Ancic) but still reaching the semi-final of a Slam vs. being healthy but getting killed on court by unseeded player
Winning US Open fifth time in a row vs. winning Wimbledon 1 time
Outplay everyone on his way for title vs. winning a title in total darkness due to inability of defending champ to see the ball
Winning one hardcourt Slam vs. winning two clay-court Slams
Being concentrated only on the biggest events to be able to play whole season vs. being obsessed with every single clay-court tournament
and finally, being elected President of the Player Council vs. Vice-President there:D

Deivid23
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Troll threads from Fed fans are as dull as u can imagine, show some creativity ffs :o

Foxy
12-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Federer vs. Nadal
Being ill an illness which normally takes monthes and years to recover(e.g.Ancic) but still reaching the semi-final of a Slam vs. being healthy but getting killed on court by unseeded player
Outplay everyone on his way for title vs. winning a title in total darkness due to inability of defending champ to see the ball
Being concentrated only on the biggest events to be able to play whole season vs. being obsessed with every single clay-court tournament
and finally, being elected President of the Player Council vs. Vice-President there:D

Boooo!

ORGASMATRON
12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Look its obvous that Nadal had the best year, as much as i love Fed im not gona fool myself. Rafa won two slams, the olympic gold and took the nr. 1 ranking. Nuff said.

Vida
12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
quite so - fed sux.

sawan66278
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
So, let me get this straight:

Rafa was one match away from making it to three finals as well, and Roger had the better season...um...

Rafa humiliates Federer in France...and defeats him in the best match ever and Roger had the better season....um....

You may be Elessar...but the crown of logic no longer fits.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

ORGASMATRON
12-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Lol Fed hardly sux but i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mimi
12-17-2008, 06:31 AM
can't believe I agreed with fedtard LinkMage this time :p

End of topic.

Bascule
12-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Why do you react at all?
Elessar is la petite provocatrice:D, enjoying when people loose their nerves making fun of themselves.

Mimi
12-17-2008, 08:23 AM
la petite i guess, Elle est une fille :angel:
Why do you react at all?
Elessar is le petit provocateur, enjoying when people loose their nerves making fun of themselves.

Scotso
12-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Federer vs. Nadal

:spit:

You're kidding, right?

Igaarg
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Itīs obvious that Nadal had a better year than Federer. This was the best year Nadal ever had, and it wasnīt better than Federer best years.
Anyway, I donīt care. I like Federer, Iīll always like him.

Byrd
12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I like the optimistic view, but when you look at his year in every single way it was disappointing in comparison to previous years. Action speaks louder than words, and I hate to say it, but Nadal had the better year in terms of achievements. I'm sure you posted this thread as either a troll attempt or to make yourself feel better about Roger, but when you look back next year around the same time, 2008 may sound alot better than what he will achieve in 2009, which is kind of sad.

Havok
12-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Um, no.

Bernard Black
12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I like you elessar and I'm a Federer fan but Nadal clearly had the better year. Even if we just take into account grand slams. It's the winning that counts, Federer will tell you that, no one wants to finish second.

If Federer had sneaked that Wimbledon final it would be a different story.