2009 season down under [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2009 season down under

Via
12-11-2008, 10:21 PM
i guess i'm qualified to open this thread :wavey:

now confirmed: arnaud is on the entry list in melbourne :worship:

warm up tournaments: to be determined, which qualifying he'll play in.

soulage
12-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Many protected ranking in the list you have to be 100 to enter directly. For his schedule nobody pulled out from Doha for the moment.

soulage
12-20-2008, 04:39 PM
He goes in Doha according his interview today but he's still on alternates list for the moment so if nothing change no Brisbane. You can hear him here
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?id=4443

Via
12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
thanks soulage :awww:

Marine
12-21-2008, 12:00 PM
He goes in Doha according his interview today but he's still on alternates list for the moment so if nothing change no Brisbane. You can hear him here
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?id=4443

"Y'a une super ambiance, on s'entend tous très bien...QUASIMENT" :lol:
Some names plz........ :p

Kezzi
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Good luck to Arno! :bounce:

First I added qualies, but I read the first post a little too quick :o :tape:

soulage
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
He's in the draw of Sydney's qualies. He should face Luczak first round but maybe some changes later because SE in main list hasn't been cleared. http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2009/338/QS.pdf

Via
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
i've just found out too... yeah anything can happen, players seem to be particularly 'mobile' the week before the aus open, and some may pull out any minute...

i'd better get ready, tomorrow will be a long day... keep me posted of any news, will ya please? :hug:

soulage
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I hope your heart is not broken because he plays an Aussie :p The oop is out: second match on court 1 maybe 10:30 local time and during the night for us :sad: Luczak is just come back on tour but with jet lag and the warm it could be tough for Arnaud especially against a motivated Aussie but if he plays as well as against Roddick he can do it. Have a nice day tomorrow :D

Via
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
it is not warm at all right now in sydney. why, wasn't doha warm enough?

thanks... i wear a frenchie hat or even carry your flag to our tournaments, don't you know? ;)

Marine
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Via uses to be hated in these tournaments, when she supports frenchies vs aussies, I don't think she cares about his countrymen. :)

Kezzi
01-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm confused with the calender, ofcourse it's Sydney first. I guess I am a week ahead of everyone on my own clock :p I just want the AO to start, finally some tennis on tv again :D
So good luck Arno in qualies :bounce:

Have a nice day Via!
And I heard that in Marseille there was snow (just like in NL) so I think Sydney will always be warmer ;)

soulage
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
The match had just begin and Arnaud has already been broken with a really poor 1st serve :rolleyes: I will see the final score tomorrow now !

Hangdog
01-10-2009, 03:53 AM
And you didn't miss a thing, Arnaud lost 6-2 6-4.
i've just found out too... yeah anything can happen, players seem to be particularly 'mobile' the week before the aus open, and some may pull out any minute...

i'd better get ready, tomorrow will be a long day... keep me posted of any news, will ya please? :hug:
I guess the day hasn't been as long and exciting as it could be... Via :hug:
Maybe there is still a chance that Arnaud will play in doubles? The draw shoud be out later today.

Via
01-10-2009, 05:57 AM
it was just a poor, poor match. arnaud made peter luczak look like andy roddick today :mad: i never knew it was so hard to return peter's serves.

i don't know how jet-lagged he was, but he must be different player from doha, or he just wasn't trying.

i asked the guy sitting with bruno, if arnaud is playing doubles... he asked bruno for me, and bruno uttered a lot of stuff lol basically it's a no. they may be staying on for two days... something like that.

Via
01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
http://viatennis.smakdesign.com.au/vtp/vtpblog/uploaded_images/DSC_0035-706714.JPG

this is basically the story of the day... the opponent's balls always got in, while our nono was running a second slow after the ball.

ps. that's it for me, tomorrow is rest day :)

soulage
01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I hope you see more exciting matches

I followed until 1-4, the double break indeed and at that moment he must have served only 3 or 4 first serve :eek: in that cases it tough to hold your serve :devil: I watched the stats this morning ad yes it seems that he didn't exist on Peter's serve :rolleyes: He has only 43% of first serve, against Andy it was not fabulous on serve but on game it was very well but not today apparently. Well it was a long trip from Doha so :angel: I hope he won't draw Murray in AO first round lol The double draw of Sydney is out and as bruno said no doubes this week.

Kezzi
01-10-2009, 11:12 AM
it was just a poor, poor match. arnaud made peter luczak look like andy roddick today :mad: i never knew it was so hard to return peter's serves.

i don't know how jet-lagged he was, but he must be different player from doha, or he just wasn't trying.

i asked the guy sitting with bruno, if arnaud is playing doubles... he asked bruno for me, and bruno uttered a lot of stuff lol basically it's a no. they may be staying on for two days... something like that.
:hug:
Maybe you'll get to see them training? If they are staying for two days :)

Why didn't you ask Bruno? :p
When I see Bruno somewhere around, Federer could sit next to him and I propably won't notice it :lol: :tape:

Hangdog
01-11-2009, 04:17 AM
So was it the guy in sunglasses from the photo you posted on your blog? He has "Lagardère" sign on his back, and it increases his chances to be mister Zimbler. How was his English? I think the real Zimbler might have spent a while in the US.

Via
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
i'm amazed at your detective work... is this guy so curious? i wouldn't be bothered so much :p

the guy's english was good enough to understand me but he did not speak much. or maybe he could speak a lot but was worried that i only spoke chinese (or russian) :lol:

kezzi i spoke to this guy because he looked friendly or perhaps he even smiled at me lol

bruno was in a lousy mood immediately after the match as you can imagine.

if i see him again should i directly call out for 'mr zimbler'? that would solve our big mystery! lol

ps. one thing that struck me (finally) during and after that match, was that the clement brothers, both of them, aren't all that good at controlling their emotions...

Truc
01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
This is Zimbler:

Truc
01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Or should I delete my post and let Via call out for "Mr Zimbler!" everytime she spots a coach with the Lagardère sign at the tournament venue?

Hangdog
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
:lol: Thanks Françoise! :worship: No, don't do this, please, otherwise Via will be bashing me until the end of time :o

So I assume it's a different guy. And I've never seen him before. It seems that the actual stuff of Team Lagardère is quite more various than those few guys mentioned on their website.
i'm amazed at your detective work... is this guy so curious? i wouldn't be bothered so much :p
You see, it's a lot of fun :tape:

Kezzi
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM

the guy's english was good enough to understand me but he did not speak much. or maybe he could speak a lot but was worried that i only spoke chinese (or russian) :lol:

kezzi i spoke to this guy because he looked friendly or perhaps he even smiled at me lol

bruno was in a lousy mood immediately after the match as you can imagine.

if i see him again should i directly call out for 'mr zimbler'? that would solve our big mystery! lol

ps. one thing that struck me (finally) during and after that match, was that the clement brothers, both of them, aren't all that good at controlling their emotions...
Friendly looking is always good :) Maybe I just miss the voice in my head that keeps repeating "Don't bother him!", because I always asked Bruno things I wanted to know, win or lose :o Usually in NL when they leave the venue, they're not coming back after a loss, so I just hope they won't get angry :angel:

Or go sit as close as you can and talk about him loud enough for him to hear ;) If he turns around, you'll know :p

What do you mean with controlling their emotions?
After a lost match I always think they look very sad. And on court, well, I think "ballkids" is enough to say :p

BTW: I love your blog posts! You have good comments to go with the pics! :D

Via
01-12-2009, 08:53 AM
i was at the tournament for half a day today, but i didn't see arnaud/bruno around. maybe they've joined a 2-days city sightseeing tour :o

i did (and so did kristen) seem to see the shadows of fabrice santoro here and there... he isn't playing i don't think, but he's just around....

Or should I delete my post and let Via call out for "Mr Zimbler!" everytime she spots a coach with the Lagardère sign at the tournament venue?

thank you for saving me from the embaressment ... that guy might think i was french-mad or even trying to chat him up :o:o

:lol: Thanks Françoise! :worship: No, don't do this, please, otherwise Via will be bashing me until the end of time :o

like this? :smash: lol

What do you mean with controlling their emotions?
After a lost match I always think they look very sad. And on court, well, I think "ballkids" is enough to say :p

BTW: I love your blog posts! You have good comments to go with the pics! :D

well it seems to me that arnaud got so frustrated when not playing well, he couldn't stay cool and devise some sort of a plan b... in other words, his emotions are getting in the way of him doing things smarter and playing better.

he didn't give too much sh!t to the ballkids on saturday... he just challenged a lot of line calls, really unnecessarily and holding up play. once he distracted luczak enough to (i felt) cause him to double fault. but justice prevailed when two serves later, luczak served a big ace to him :devil:

(btw luczak didn't end up qualifying... so much for the new 'andy roddick')

Truc
01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
thank you for saving me from the embaressment ... that guy might think i was french-mad or even trying to chat him up :o:oA bit of embarrassment is part of the fun at tennis tournaments!
But I remember Paulo had already exposed you as "french-mad" a couple of years ago.

They show Santoro in the video about the players' party in Sydney, so he's definitely there. He said he would take a good friend of his with him for his last Australian tour, maybe he wanted him to show Sydney too.

Sorry for all the :topic: stuff. Thanks again for all the pics and reports!

Via
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
A bit of embarrassment is part of the fun at tennis tournaments!
But I remember Paulo had already exposed you as "french-mad" a couple of years ago.

They show Santoro in the video about the players' party in Sydney, so he's definitely there. He said he would take a good friend of his with him for his last Australian tour, maybe he wanted him to show Sydney too.

Sorry for all the :topic: stuff. Thanks again for all the pics and reports!

truc - thanks for correcting my spelling too. :o

no arnaud sighting yesterday (tuesday) so i'm sure he's going to melbourne (or gone, by now)

santoro was definitely still in sydney yesterday, as i caught him with nico devilder on a practice shirt... all guys there were shirtless :devil: they went on so long with their drills, that i gave up asking for an autograph.

Kezzi
01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
My friend texted me that she saw Arno and Bruno in Melbourne, but didn't get a chance to talk to them. So they are in Melbourne since yesterday (European time ;))

Via
01-15-2009, 11:47 PM
melbourne's draw is out:

Stakhovsky vs Clement first round

anyone knows more about this guy? at least he's not seeded

if he gets to 2nd round, likely to meet verdasco... i won't look further than that lol

soulage
01-16-2009, 09:03 AM
For me it's a little bit tricky first round. He won Zagreb last year whereas he was LL :eek: He really improved last year and did 1/4 in Doha this year and even if didn't see him some people said that's he played quite well there and it's not a spanish who plays only on clay lol But of course it's winnable for Arnaud especially in a best of five. Arnaud can win this if he makes a serious match with few UE and anyway it's the kind of match you must win if you want to come back in top #50 :devil:

Well, sure we won't have tv coverage of this match :sad:

Kezzi
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
melbourne's draw is out:

Stakhovsky vs Clement first round

anyone knows more about this guy? at least he's not seeded

if he gets to 2nd round, likely to meet verdasco... i won't look further than that lol
I saw him in Aachen at the challenger in 2007, but it was at the player's party, so I didn't see him play. But in my eyes (didn't actually follow him, but saw him appear in draws sometimes) he improved a lot the past year.

Ok, back to topic, I think Arno can beat him, but as I said, haven't seen him play. It won't be easy, because this is a serious tournament, in Aachen it seemed like the whole group was just there to have fun :)

Hangdog
01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Quite a nice draw for Arnaud! I mean it could be much worse.

Stakhovsky is indeed a very tricky player. I've been watching him almost every year since 2005 - as he always plays in my city - and he's been improving a lot throughout these years. Not that I've ever paid any special attention on him, but I remember that he has a solid serve and is good in long matches, so it's not exactly that a 5-setter will give more chances to Arnaud and his ageing bones.
So I think it's a match where quite a few things will depend not only on how good Arnaud is, - though of course, if Arnaud plays like in 2 first games of the match against Roddick there will be no questions about the winner of this encounter.

soulage
01-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I just learned that he did the junior US Open final against Murray few years ago. As you, everybody who saw him are quite positive about him. We can say 50-50 or less ? They don't play on monday ;)

Hangdog
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, I believe Arnaud in his best form is clearly better than Stakhovsky at his best, but considering Arnaud's current form I guess it would be fair to say 50-50.

The doubles draw is out, and Arnaud plays with Marco, no surprises here. A tough first round against Petzschner/Peya, but as for the rest, the draw is quite fine.

soulage
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Really tough :o since Petzschner/Peya is a really good team in a good dynamic. If our frenchies lost at first round Arnaud will go down around #80 in doubles :rolleyes:. I'm optimist i know lol

Via
01-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Really tough :o since Petzschner/Peya is a really good team in a good dynamic. If our frenchies lost at first round Arnaud will go down around #80 in doubles :rolleyes:. I'm optimist i know lol

good luck, but i don't feel positive about playing this team either.

#80... well then his singles and doubles rankings would be similar :devil: easier to remember

however unlike singles, i don't think there's qualifying in doubles. bad luck if he can't pick up some pocket money for doubles in some tournaments.

deanna
01-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Good luck Arnaud! :)

@ Via - I added the tennis cards application on facebook. It's great, nice pictures! Thanks for that.

soulage
01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes, maybe no more consolation with the doubles for him and for us :sad:. There is also a new way to count points in doubles but i didn't understand lol all i know is that he has 1400 points to defend in Melbourne. Well, if he wants continuing to enter the Masters Series he needs a big result here :angel:. Marco lost today and Arnaud plays last match on court 14 tomorrow.

Via
01-20-2009, 07:20 AM
gosh they're playing now, and true to expectations, they've split the first two sets.

@ Via - I added the tennis cards application on facebook. It's great, nice pictures! Thanks for that.

:hug: it's so rare to recieve compliments, thank you! worth all the hard work :sobbing:

Yes, maybe no more consolation with the doubles for him and for us :sad:. There is also a new way to count points in doubles but i didn't understand lol all i know is that he has 1400 points to defend in Melbourne. Well, if he wants continuing to enter the Masters Series he needs a big result here :angel:. Marco lost today and Arnaud plays last match on court 14 tomorrow.

oh no i haven't paid attention to doubles ranking system at all.

Via
01-20-2009, 07:53 AM
lost 3rd set 6-4 :(

Via
01-20-2009, 08:42 AM
it's a 5-setter :bowdown:

Via
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
omg he misses a match point!

i hope people have been staying courtside to cheer for him (them). it's getting late, and dark.

WIN!!!!!!!!!

:banana:

soulage
01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I missed everything because a lot of business to do but i think it's better according his interview. I just see the stats and his stats on serve :eek: Really poor :o

His audio on FFT website http://www.fft.fr/open-australie/2009/?ID=4569 He's happy to win after 2-1 set down even if he says that it was awful tenniscally lol . He has good sensations since Doha and trained hard in december and so he didn't want to leave the tournament with such a match. He knows he has to play better against Verdasco otherwise he has no chances and he thinks he can plays better :devil:. It will be a good test. He's #85 but train to do better and win against players in #30 & #20 or better so with that match he will know how he is and what he had to work be to beat such guys or if he's yet able to do it.

With Marco they play tomorrow in the afternoon.

Bobble
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I missed everything because a lot of business to do but i think it's better according his interview. I just see the stats and his stats on serve :eek: Really poor :o

His audio on FFT website http://www.fft.fr/open-australie/2009/?ID=4569 He's happy to win after 2-1 set down even if he says that it was awful tenniscally lol . He has good sensations since Doha and trained hard in december and so he didn't want to leave the tournament with such a match. He knows he has to play better against Verdasco otherwise he has no chances and he thinks he can plays better :devil:. It will be a good test. He's #85 but train to do better and win against players in #30 & #20 or better so with that match he will know how he is and what he had to work be to beat such guys or if he's yet able to do it.

With Marco they play tomorrow in the afternoon.

Thanks for the update! haha "tenniscally.":) He sounds very motivated.

Via
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
is he going to make fernando a lucky guy? verdasco has never advanced past the second round at the ao (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2009-01-20/200901201232437470515.html), whereas arnaud had been to the final... a long time ago.

fernando's first match, however, lasted only three short sets :devil:

Marine
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Happy for the win. A win is a win, whatever the "tennistically" lol

I just love his itw. A bit rude with himself, as usually, but he's so sincere and funny. Especially when he said "j'aurai vraiment très peu de chances de gagner, à moins s'il passe vraiment complètement à côté " LOL
"A moi d'éléver mon niveau de jeu, et si je ne le fais pas, je ne gagnerai pas..mais...y'a pas de raison que je joue pas bien ! "lol..." c'est vrai ?? ah bon ??? je savais pas du tout, j'suis un peu à l'ouest, j' suis pas très potins... "

About ivanovic & verdasco's break-up: ""oh really ??? I didn't know...oh well... I don't follow gossips"...
Since the last year he doesn't like people's magasines, but before, he used to read all these magazines... :lol:

Via
01-21-2009, 07:02 AM
well arnaud and marc have lost the doubles, as we feared :(

7-6(3) 7-6(11)

he will be playing verdasco on thursday on court 6, 3rd up. we'll then see if he'll stay on in australia....

soulage
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
:sad: It seems that it has been close. It means no more MS in doubles for him and for us? Poor ranking since ages in doubles for him :mad:

For singles, Verdasco as so confident since DC final and Arnaud serves so poorly but who knows otherwise hello German challenger.

soulage
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
On WLT http://www.welovetennis.fr/open-australie/9971-notre-infiltre-marc-gicquel-episode-2-quand-federer-vient-deconner-dans-les-vestiaires Marco says that they didn't play very well but they fought. Arnaud was not supposed to high his level ? :devil: In the locker room, Arnaud asked to Roger if he had cut his hair and Marco joked about him "No they fell alone"

Marine
01-21-2009, 07:43 PM
A stupid question I use to ask too :lol:

Court 6, à partir de 11h00 (01h00, HF)
Patty Schnyder (SUI/n°14) - Virginie Razzano (FRA) : 2-0
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP/n°21) - Julie Coin (FRA) : 0-0
Arnaud Clément (FRA) - Fernando Verdasco (ESP/n°14) : 1-0
Un double

(ugh, in the case where he loses, I wonder if he'll be back to paris on saturday evening :scratch: ? There is a concert in Bercy where I'll be, and I'm just thinking he could be here too...)

Marine
01-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Lost 6/1 6/1 6/2 :eek::sad:

I start my day so well... :rolleyes:

Via
01-22-2009, 06:04 AM
no doubt he's in a hurry to catch the earliest plane back home. i have instructions for my sister (who's going to melbourne tomorrow) just in case, but now they are not necessary :sad:

have fun star-spotting at the concert, marine!

edit: match report on the official site
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2009-01-22/200901221232603579718.html

soulage
01-22-2009, 08:33 AM
The scores :bolt: The audio with always some jokes http://www.fft.fr/open-australie/2009/?ID=4579 He says that physically he surely didn't recover totally of his 5 sets' match but anyway Verdasco was really better than him. He says nices things about the game of Ferdando and the fact he didn't let him come back. About himself he thinks he has still some works to do physically to be better and to play some matches in a row. He didn't take pleasure on court but was happy to be there, it was the place he wanted to be.

Marine
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
no doubt he's in a hurry to catch the earliest plane back home. i have instructions for my sister (who's going to melbourne tomorrow) just in case, but now they are not necessary :sad:

have fun star-spotting at the concert, marine!

edit: match report on the official site
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2009-01-22/200901221232603579718.html

I've been told he was there :D
I didn't see him of course, among the crowd of 17 000 persons in Bercy but I was sure he would be there because he loves "the enfoires (a big and famous charity concert which gets together 35 of the most famous french singers every year in january) and because nolwenn is part of the show ;)
Funny to think I was in bercy, not for tennis, but he was there though ! lol

Kezzi
01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Cool! :cool:
It must be a nice idea to know that you and Arno were at the same place ;)
But... if Nolwenn was part of the show, I guess he was there as a VIP :p
Apart from knowing Arno was there, how was the concert?
I've never heard of it before :tape:

Marine
01-27-2009, 08:59 PM
eh eh normal, u're not french kezzi ;)

It was just absolutly great. :hearts:
It's the 4th year I go. Every year in a different city.