Wild Cards

smucav
12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Main Draw
1 Ball, Carsten AUS
2 Klein, Brydan AUS
3 Groth, Samuel AUS
4 Tomic, Bernard AUS
5 Ebelthite, Colin AUS (TA Play-off Champion)
6 Istomin, Denis UZB (ATF)
7 Mannarino, Adrian FRA (FFT)
8 Isner, John USA (USTA Play-off Champion)

Qualifying
1 Thomas, Andrew AUS
2 Propoggia, Dane AUS
3 Ebden, Matthew AUS
4 Verryth, Mark AUS
5 Millman, John AUS
6 Reid, Matt AUS
7 Jones, Greg AUS
8 Coelho, Andrew AUS
9 McKenzie, Brendan AUS (Optus 18s Australian Singles Champion)

smucav
12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2008/12/eddie-herr-wrap-australian-wild-card.htmlI spoke with Jay Berger, the USTA's new head of Men's Tennis for Elite Player Development early this week, and he told me the Australian Open main draw wild card playoff is scheduled for next weekend in Boca Raton, with John Isner, Wayne Odesnik, Donald Young and Jesse Levine vying for the wild card that the USTA exchanges with Tennis Australia every year. I don't yet have the information on the women's wild card, but will try to get it later in the week.

Labamba
12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
^that will be interesting, anyone can win it

Mannarino should get the French WC

saleebyman
12-15-2008, 03:21 AM
This is my guess

Main Draw
1 Robert Smeets
2 Peter Luscak
3 Carsten Ball
4 Greg Jones
5 Joseph Sirianni (TA Play-off Champion)
6 TBA (ATF) (unknown)...have no idea wat AF wildcard is)
7 TBA (FFT) (unknown...dunno any up and ocming frenchmans outside of direct entry)
8 John Isner(USTA)

Qualifying
1 Bernard Tomic
2 Mark Verryth
3 Bryden Klein
4 Samuel Groth
5 Brenden McKenzie
6 Andrew Coelho
7 Adam Feeney

8 Colin Ebeltheite

Labamba
12-17-2008, 08:46 AM
http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6624156

USTA Holds Oz Open Wild Card Playoff

The road to Oz begins in Boca this week.

The USTA is hosting a playoff this week to award a men’s and a women’s singles main draw wild card to the 2009 Australian Open. The women’s wild card tournament began yesterday at the USTA Training Center in Boca Raton, Fla., and concludes Thursday. The men’s wild card tournament will be held Friday thru Sunday. The USTA and Tennis Australia have a reciprocal agreement in which wild card entries into the main draw at the 2008 US Open and 2009 Australian Open are exchanged.

Eight players are scheduled to compete for the women’s wild card: Lauren Albanese, 19, of Coral Springs, Fla.; Madison Brengle, 18, of Dover, Del.; Gail Brodsky, 17, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Mallory Cecil, 18, of Spartanburg, S.C.; Vania King, 19, of Long Beach, Calif.; Christina McHale, 16, of Englewood Cliffs, N.J.; Asia Muhammad, 17, of Henderson, Nev.; and CoCo Vandeweghe, 17, of Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. The field is divided into two round robin groups.

Four players will compete for the men’s wild card: John Isner, 23, of Tampa, Fla.; Jesse Levine, 21, of Boca Raton, Fla.; Wayne Odesnik, 23, of Weston, Fla.; and Donald Young, 19, of Atlanta.

The women will be divided into two, four-player round robin groups. The winners from each group will play each other Thursday to determine the wild card. The men’s playoff is also a round robin format.

CooCooCachoo
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Isner, Levine, Odesnik and Young :eek:

Very strong competition. I hope Levine takes it :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
This is my guess

Main Draw
1 Robert Smeets
2 Peter Luscak
3 Carsten Ball
4 Greg Jones
5 Joseph Sirianni (TA Play-off Champion)
6 TBA (ATF) (unknown)...have no idea wat AF wildcard is)
7 TBA (FFT) (unknown...dunno any up and ocming frenchmans outside of direct entry)
8 John Isner(USTA)

Qualifying
1 Bernard Tomic
2 Mark Verryth
3 Bryden Klein
4 Samuel Groth
5 Brenden McKenzie
6 Andrew Coelho
7 Adam Feeney

8 Colin Ebeltheite

My guess is that Luczak, Ball and Sirianni are sure bets for MD WCs. Jones really does not deserve one, and I don't think he's going to get one; Groth, Ebelthite, Coelho and Matosevic are more likely picks. Matosevic will definitely get one for Qualies, if he doesn't get a MD one.

Mannarino should get the French one. It's a safe bet IMO. The Asian one might well go to Soeda, if they just award it rather than hold an event.

azza
12-18-2008, 04:19 AM
I hope Joe gets a MD WC even if he doesnt win the playoff TA might do the whole ur to old heres a Q WC thingi Joe deserves it

jmf07
12-18-2008, 06:09 AM
I hope Joe gets a MD WC even if he doesnt win the playoff TA might do the whole ur to old heres a Q WC thingi Joe deserves it

Yep I agree. He definently deserves a maindraw wildcard and thank god he will get direct entry into the Qualifying Draw for the Australian Open as if he didn't I wouldn't have been surprised if Tennis Australia didn't give him one at all judging by who they chose to participate in the Australian Open Wildcard Playoff.

saleebyman
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
joe for wc all the way

CooCooCachoo
12-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Any news about the USTA Play-offs?

CooCooCachoo
12-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Apparently the USTA Play-Off final will be between Levine and Isner:

In today's men's wild card tournament, Levine beat Odesnik in straights and Isner beat Young in a third set tiebreak. Sorry I don't have complete scores.

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/

Labamba
12-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Apparently the USTA Play-Off final will be between Levine and Isner:

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/

It was supposed to be a round robin format, which would mean everybody still has a chance.

CooCooCachoo
12-20-2008, 02:06 PM
It was supposed to be a round robin format, which would mean everybody still has a chance.

Argh, you are right of course. I just assumed because the women's event has a final, the men must too.

It's really weird there are no scores coming through anywhere though. I hope Jesse makes it :D

Labamba
12-21-2008, 09:31 AM
http://www.usta.com/sitecore/content/USTA/Global/Pro_Tennis/Grand_Slams/Australian_Open/News/2009_Australian_Open_wild_card_playoffs.aspx

Isner wins 2009 Australian Open wild card

John Isner won a wild card spot in the 2009 Australian Open on Saturday, December 20th by beating Jesse Levine 6-3, 7-5.

Donald Young, Wayne Odesnik, Jesse Levine and John Isner competed at the USTA Training Center in Boca Raton, Fl. for a chance to advance to the Australian Open. When it was all over the 145th ranked Isner was victorious.

Young defeated Odesnik in straight sets, 7-5, 7-5 and will play Jesse Levine on Sunday, December 21st to determine the 2nd place winner of the Boca Raton tournament.

Labamba
12-21-2008, 09:35 AM
really didn't think Isner would win the WC considering his poor form in the past few months...

well done John

mr_burns
12-21-2008, 11:50 AM
what about former champ T Johannson???

CooCooCachoo
12-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Jesse :(

Congrats to Isner and Ebelthite though.

gjr
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Hope Isner gets Fabrice again. That was an awesome match this year. Isner was serving these bombs and Fabrice was jumping inside the baseline and knocking them straight passed him.

smucav
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2008/12/isner-wins-australian-open-main-draw.htmlSunday, December 21
Isner Wins Australian Open Main Draw Wild Card Tournament

John Isner has won the USTA-sponsored playoff in Boca Raton to determine the recipient of the main draw wild card for next month's Australian Open. Isner defeated Jesse Levine 6-3, 7-5 on Saturday to put his record at 2-0, and because Donald Young beat Wayne Odesnik 7-5, 7-5, there was no need for Isner to play a third match today, as he held the head-to-head tiebreaker over both Young and Levine, who were 1-1, while Odesnik was 0-2.

Posted by Colette Lewis at 6:16 PM

Truc
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Mannarino gets the French WC.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090106_151356_deux-bleus-invites.html

smucav
01-07-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/tennis/lean-times-yet-again-as-australian-open-looms/2009/01/06/1231004020147.htmlLean times yet again as Australian Open looms
Linda Pearce
January 7, 2009

WHEN Perth teenager Brydan Klein could pinch just four games from Tomas Berdych yesterday, after taking 37 minutes to claim his first, Melbourne veteran Joe Sirianni became the last local man capable of winning a main draw ATP match in the season's opening week. Sirianni failed. For Australian tennis, it will be another challenging year.

Lleyton Hewitt now stands alone in the rankings' top 100, Chris Guccione having failed to qualify in Brisbane after the younger Klein was preferred for the last vacant wildcard. A further, quite major, tumble is assured for Guccione next week, as he seeks to defend a good chunk of the 240 points he earned as a Sydney finalist last January.

The message from Tennis Australia is, emphatically, all about youth. Klein, 19, and Bernard Tomic, 16, were the two local men selected for Brisbane wildcards, ahead of not just Guccione but also improving 20-somethings Colin Ebelthite and Sam Groth, who contested the pre-Christmas Australian Open play-off final won by Ebelthite.

Of the eight men's wildcards for Melbourne Park, the unallocated discretionary four will soon be announced. They will not include Sirianni — the only Australian to make it through Brisbane qualifying, and a brave three-set loser last night to Michael Llodra — because he is 33, and stopped hoping for favours long ago. Even cup regular Peter Luczak, at 29, is unlikely, with selector John Fitzgerald saying yesterday: "I think they will lean towards youth more than they will longer-established players."

The trouble for Fitzgerald, of course, is that he must also think about the present. He needs a Davis Cup team to support lone warrior Hewitt, but knows that Luczak et al are not the future. Hence the political moves over Guccione's status in Brisbane, for example, when youth eventually prevailed. At least Guccione is assured of a place in Melbourne, where Hewitt is the host's only other direct main-draw entrant.

So, what of Klein and Tomic, the Australian Open boys' champions of the past two years? Klein's nervous first nine games against fifth-seeded Berdych yesterday were horrible and the West Australian described as a "nightmare" his barren start, before managing to avoid complete humiliation in the 6-0, 6-4 defeat. "He played really well and I wasn't sure what to do by the end of the (first) set. I'm glad I turned it around a little in the second and came back a bit," said Klein, who will next contest Sydney qualifying and cross his fingers for Melbourne.

Tomic was also wondering "whether the selectors will allow me to play in the Australian Open", having done his prospects no harm the previous night. Encouragingly, Tomic competed well against the powerful 15th-ranked Fernando Verdasco and blazed to a 2-0 lead before, apparently, allowing himself to wonder how he had got there.

"I started thinking 'what's going on? what's happening? I'm 2-0 in my first tournament against 15 in the world or something, I don't know what to do,' and that's when I struggled for the two games after that. But it was good fun and I played really well and I showed what I had. I think with these guys now it's all going to be a matter in these next two years of my development in my body strength, but I'm up for it and hopefully I can do well," the teenager said.

Indeed, there was an amusing moment in the second set when the string-bean Tomic changed his sweaty shirt at courtside, his boy's physique contrasting with the muscular Verdasco's. By then, too, the Spaniard was in control, but left the court impressed, nevertheless, by his first view of the much-hyped Australian.

"I think that he played really good for 16 years old; I don't think I was playing like this when I was 16," said Verdasco, 25.

"I think he have great talent and he's tall, (if) he can have good fitness I think he can be a good player."

Redline
01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
My guess is they will go Groth, Klein, Tomich and Ball.

Winnipeg
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Istomin will get the Asian WC !

save ausdecline
01-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Ball has recieved wildcard

CooCooCachoo
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
OK. If Luczak does not get one, it's quite frankly a travesty. He is one of Australia's best players, has been in good shape and is a tremendous fighter, despite injury problems.

I understand why they are reluctant to give Joe one, even though I'd like him to get one, but Luczak being bypassed would be a real shame.

CooCooCachoo
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
AO wildcards for Ball and Moore http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/but_mail.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=5226#) http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/greyline.gif http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/but_print.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=5226#) Melbourne,09 January 2009
Tennis Australia
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM39822.6364768403&blobType=landscape
Carsten Ball competes in the Australian Open wildcard play-off at Melbourne Park.
Getty Images

Australia’s newest Davis Cup player and Australian Open 2008 Junior finalist, Carsten Ball and Jessica Moore, have been awarded main draw wildcards into Australian Open 2009.

Ranked world No.200, the highlight of 2008 for Ball was his Davis Cup debut in Chile when he teamed with Chris Guccione to win the doubles rubber over highly-fancied Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu in an epic five-set match.

“I am very happy,” Ball said. “I have worked hard this year and had a great Davis Cup and I look forward to trying to do well for Australia again. I feel lucky to get a chance to play against the top 100 guys in the world in our sport, hopefully I can hold my own.”

Ball is currently playing doubles (with Guccione) at the Brisbane International, yesterday defeating top seeds, Max Mirnyi and Andy Ram 6-4 6-4. In the semis today they meet Fernando Verdasco and Mischa Zverev.

In a year spent working on the often-difficult transition from juniors to the women’s tour, 18-year-old Jessica Moore improved her senior ranking more than 230 places to a current world ranking of 140.

Moore’s 2008 achievements include a first round win in her Australian Open main draw debut, a second round showing at the US Open, and winning the French Open Junior doubles title.

“I’m very fortunate, and pretty lucky to be given this opportunity again from Tennis Australia,” Moore said.

“I won a round last year but instead of focusing on wins, I want to work on developing my game because this is the level I need to consistently perform at.”

Moore heads to Hobart today for the Moorilla Hobart International where she also holds a main draw wildcard.

The final Australian Open discretionary wildcards (three men and three women) will be announced within the next week.

Current Australian Open wildcards:

Men: Colin Ebelthite (Play-off winner), Carsten Ball (discretionary), John Isner (USTA), Adrian Mannarino (French), Denis Istomin (Asia),.

Women: Jelena Dokic (Play-off winner), Jessica Moore (discretionary), Christina McHale (USTA), Kristina Mladenovic (French), Yuan Meng (Asia).

CooCooCachoo
01-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Local hopes Carsten Ball and Jessica Moore into Australian Open

From correspondents in Melbourne
January 09, 2009 AUSTRALIA'S newest Davis Cup player Carsten Ball and teenager Jessica Moore have won wildcards into this month's Australian Open.
Ball made his Davis Cup debut in Chile last year (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24379032-23216,00.html) when he teamed with Chris Guccione to win the doubles rubber over highly-fancied Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu in an epic five-set match.

"I am very happy," Ball said.

"I have worked hard this year and had a great Davis Cup and I look forward to trying to do well for Australia again.

"I feel lucky to get a chance (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24783585-23216,00.html) to play against the top 100 guys in the world in our sport, hopefully I can hold my own."

Moore, 18, improved her senior ranking more than 230 places last year to 140.

She was a first-round winner in her Australian Open main-draw debut last year, won through to the second round of the US Open and claimed the French Open junior doubles title.

"I won a round last year but instead of focusing on wins, I want to work on developing my game because this is the level I need to consistently perform at," Moore said.

Moore will play in next week's Hobart International where she also received a wildcard.

The final Australian Open discretionary wildcards for three men and three women will be named in the coming week.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24891029-23210,00.html

CooCooCachoo
01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
No surprise there obviously, with the Ball WC.

That leaves three WCs up for grabs. One should go to Groth, I guess.

This is how I guess the WCs will go:

Main Draw:

1. Ebelthite, Colin AUS [Play-offs]
2. Mannarino, Adrian FRA [FFT]
3. Isner, John USA
4. Istomin, Denis UZB [Asian WC], to be replaced by Lee or Soeda when he gets into the MD.
5. Ball, Carsten AUS [TA]
6. Groth, Samuel AUS [TA]
7. Klein, Brydan AUS [TA]
8. Tomic, Bernard AUS [TA]

With the first five obviously having been confirmed.

Klein and Tomic are not fully deserving to me, but judging from Fitzgerald's comments on youth policy seem to be the logical choice, despite some of the problems that Tomic has had with TA, and despite the fact that both absolutely failed to deliver with the WCs they held this week. I would much rather see Luczak and Matosevic get those WCs, but I don't see it happening.

[U]Qualifying:

1. McKenzie, Brendan AUS [Optus 18s Winner]
2. Coelho, Andrew AUS
3. Ebden, Matthew AUS
4. Lindahl, Nick AUS
5. Jones, Greg AUS
6. Feeney, Adam AUS
7. Reid, Todd AUS
8. Millman, John AUS
9. One of the following: Armstrong, Junaid, Healey, Lemke, Hensel, Crowe, Lindner, Kelly, Thomas, Goh, Propoggia

With only the first one having been confirmed.

Even though Armstrong is ranked well above most of these guys, I can somehow see him missing out altogether. At the same time, he does have AIS support.

The other Aussies that would be in qualifying, and are in on their own merit, are Peter Luczak, Joe Sirianni, Robert Smeets and Marinko Matosevic.

saleebyman
01-10-2009, 09:17 AM
nice i dont reckon klein will get wc tho...got a funny feeling,i reckon they will giv to someone else

and i reckon steven goh will get a q wc....nice guesses tho i reckon u will be very close

heres my take:

Main Draw:

1. Ebelthite, Colin AUS [Play-offs]
2. Mannarino, Adrian FRA [FFT]
3. Isner, John USA [USTA]
4. Istomin, Denis UZB [Asian WC], soeda will get it if denis gets into main
5. Ball, Carsten AUS [TA]
6. Groth, Samuel AUS [TA]
7. Greg Jones AUS [TA]
8. Tomic, Bernard AUS [TA]

With the first five obviously having been confirmed.

Qualifying:

1. McKenzie, Brendan AUS [Optus 18s Winner]
2. Coelho, Andrew AUS
3. Ebden, Matthew AUS
4. Lindahl, Nick AUS
5. Thomas, Andrew AUS
6. Klein, Brydan AUS
7. Reid, Todd AUS
8. Goh, Steven AUS
9. Verryth, Mark
p.s. i didnt realise they hav 9 wildcards for qualies

CooCooCachoo
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Ah, I overlooked Verryth. Might indeed get a QWC. Millman too, though. He's still young.

As for Tomic, I think he might be traded for Luczak following Peter's good results in Sydney Qualies now.

Klein and Goh are in Sydney, in the doubles draw. I don't know if this still enables them to play AO qualies, but if they do well in doubles (which is highly unlikely), then obviously they cannot compete AO Qualies. So that's why I kind of assume that Brydan has safeguarded a MD WC. Goh, I think, will not be there at all.

Winnipeg
01-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Hrbaty should get a MD WC

jmf07
01-11-2009, 02:45 AM
Hrbaty should get a MD WC

If he had made the final of the Australian Open before or is a big name player I would say give him one but the reality is most Australians probably don't know who he is and it would be difficult to give him one on the basis of two exhibition wins against Blake and Safin and a loss to Hewitt.

Baghdatis#1
01-11-2009, 03:00 AM
I hope Andrew Thomas gets a WC.

eric
01-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Groth, qualified for Nottingham event last year, was the only Aussie to enter a 2008 ATP main draw with no wild-card ( I mean among the remaininig contenders). Luczak may not be a bet for the future, but are Klein, Greg Jones or Lindahl better now ? I don't think so. Andrew Thomas, quarterfinalist on Wimbledon Juniors, and Tomic may be more like young blood to follow. And too bad for Joe Sirianni, whom I appreciate the game for a dozen years now (since he played local tournaments in Alsace -east part of France close to Germany) : that dozen years have passed and it shows sometimes, I hope a WC for him, but don't believe he'll get it, for reasons written on most posts in here.

Labamba
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Brydan Klein got a WC

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24898680-23216,00.html

2007 Australian Open Junior Champion Brydan Klein gets wildcard into Australian Open

January 11, 2009 WEST Australian Brydan Klein and Queensland's Isabella Holland have been awarded wildcards into the main draw of this month's Australian Open.

Nineteen-year old Klein, the 2007 Australian Open Junior Champion, has slashed his ATP ranking by more than 350 places, to move to 248, in the past 12 months.

He has won ITF Futures events in Australia, New Zealand and Belarus and was a finalist at an event in the UK.

"I feel this is a great opportunity, and I'm very privileged to get the wildcard, Klein said.

"I've worked really hard for the whole year and hopefully I can put this wildcard to good use.

Sixteen-year-old Isabella Holland has spent 2008 playing a mix of both junior and senior events.

Her junior titles include both singles and doubles at the ITF event in Fiji, a doubles title at the Citta di Prato in Italy where she also reached the semis in singles, and a runner-up finish in doubles at the Wimbledon Junior Championships.

In senior events Holland reached the final in Kawana in September and progressed to the semi-finals of the Australian Open play-off.

CooCooCachoo
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Expected, but not deserved I think. Oh well.

azza
01-12-2009, 02:34 AM
Oh FFS @ Kleins MD WC :o

aussie_fan
01-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Tomic and Groth get the last two wc's:

Tomic handed Open wildcard
Sportal

Rising tennis star Bernard Tomic has been given a wildcard to next week's Australian Open, Tennis Australia announced on Monday afternoon.

The world's top ranked 16-year-old and 2008 Australian Open Junior Champion will be joined by Sam Groth, Olivia Rogowska and Monika Wejnert who were all also given wildcards to the first Grand Slam of the year.

"Playing in a grand slam, particularly the Australian Open, has always been a dream and I hope to do well," Tomic said.

"I really appreciate the support Tennis Australia has given me and look forward to doing my very best. This is the level I have to learn to play at all the time, so it will be a fantastic experience."

Tomic's fellow Queenslander Wejnert, who is also 16, first shot to prominence in December, winning the Perth ITF event. She also reached the final of the Australian Open play-off, where she lost to former world No.4 Jelena Dokic after enjoying a victory over her in the round-robin stage.

"I'm really excited and grateful to receive the wildcard," Wejnert said. "I want to thank everyone who has helped me, especially my coach, Chris Steele, who has been a great support this year."

"This will be such a good opportunity experience-wise. I was lucky to play the runner-up (Marion Bartoli) in Brisbane, and I think I will be much more prepared this time. I will definitely have a better state of mind and know what to expect. That's the best I can do."

Australian Institute of Sport coach Brent Larkham was delighted with the focus on youth for the wildcards.

"The wildcard selection committee has made the decision to focus on youth and give a new group of players the opportunity to step up and experience competition at this elite level," he said.

"All these athletes will gain an enormous amount of experience from this opportunity which will help them develop both mentally and physically."

"At the end of the day, this is the level they all need to be achieving at in order to play a part in the future of Australian tennis."

Australian Open wildcards:

Men: Colin Ebelthite (play-off winner), Bernard Tomic (discretionary), Sam Groth (discretionary), Brydan Klein (discretionary), Carsten Ball (discretionary), John Isner (USTA), Adrian Mannarino (French), Denis Istomin (Asia).

Women: Jelena Dokic (play-off winner), Monika Wejnert (discretionary), Olivia Rogowska (discretionary), Isabella Holland (discretionary), Jessica Moore (discretionary), Christina McHale (USTA), Kristina Mladenovic (French), Yuan Meng (Asia).

Luczak not getting is picked is the worst decision TA has ever made.

Redline
01-12-2009, 04:46 AM
I am not too unhappy with them. I think Klein was perhaps the one I might have given to Luczak. The Qualifying ones will be interesting to if they over looks guys like Lindahl and Coelho. Both must be close to entry with their ranking.

jmf07
01-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Luczak's problem was that he wasn't defaulting or trying hard enough in his matches and then making remarks about his practice partners during davis cup practice. It probably would have helped him as well if he had come out and said how he will be number 1 and all the other stuff that clearly helped Tomic get one.

aussie_fan
01-12-2009, 06:31 AM
There is no justifaction for picking any of the WC's over Luczak in my opinion, maybe Ball but that's it. Look at Pete's results at the end of last year, i know theyw ere on clay but it shows how many levels pete is ahead of these younger guys. He's been top 100 (might still be if he had an injury), davis cup player for many ties. His results at qualifying this summer have been more impressive than any other aussie (of course apart from joe qualifing in adelaide). He also won a round last year, give him a bloody chance to defend it.

How they keep rewarding Klein and Tomic just pisses me off.

Tenys4ever
01-12-2009, 06:35 AM
There is an article on Australian Tennis called Australian Tennis at "Lowest Ebb" on www.zootennis.com. Certainly topical and they refer to a interview by Peter Bodo, about the history of wild cards and Earning them the right way. It is worth reading.

Earning a wild card the right way
Monday, January 5, 2009

Posted by Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com

The news story didn't exactly generate headlines, but John Isner and Christina McHale have wild cards into the Australian Open, and they got them the old-fashioned way -- earning them in a special playoffs sponsored by the USTA. This is a great way to dole out wild cards, and a welcome change from the chronic abuse of the wild-card system.

The wild-card concept was created mainly for three reasons: First, it allowed tournaments to include and honor older players and former champions (inevitably, fan favorites) who still wanted to give the game a go but no longer played enough (or well enough) to earn direct entry. Second, it provided a "fast track" method of getting back into the mix for players who were forced to take an extended break (usually due to injury) from the game. Third, it gave tournament directors a little more promotional latitude.

The third reason is the least important, and it factored mostly at smaller events. By giving wild cards to either well-known local tennis figures (former top-50 players) or promising juniors from the area, a tournament could drum up valuable publicity in local media outlets, and -- theoretically -- sell that many more tickets.

These original purposes have been useful and remain so. Who would deny that two of the highlights of the recent Open era were Jimmy Connors' riveting run to the U.S. Open semifinals in 1991 and Goran Ivanisevic's long-deferred Wimbledon victory in 2001? Connors and Ivanisevic were both wild-card entries, for a combination of the first two reasons listed above.

But over time, the original concept of the wild card was corrupted. Wild cards became bargaining chips that agents used to recruit potential clients, and tournaments used to try to build relationships with budding stars. Thus, a talented 14-year-old was offered or promised x number of wild cards either by agents (whose associates ran tournaments) or by tournament directors looking to impress themselves on the youngster or his family.

Still later, the Grand Slam events began to use wild cards to seed a draw with home-nation players, even if they were fundamentally incompetent and destined for first-round humiliation. While this is more palatable than using wild cards as recruitment tools, it's still a shame to see wild cards that could go to deserving top 20-grade players wind up in the hands of green juniors or hopeless journeymen just because they're from the host nation.

Presently, the U.S. and Australia have a reciprocal wild-card deal, whereby each nation gives the other a wild card to use as it sees fit. That's how Isner and McHale scored their entries into the Australian Open. And it's good to see that the USTA didn't merely anoint a player the chosen one and hand him or her the free ticket: It put the wild card up for grabs via a mini-tournament. While it's seemingly a small gesture, the wild-card competition underscores something that certain critics of the U.S. development system have been harping on for quite some time: the lack of serious competition among peers.

Earning wild cards already represents significant victories for Isner and McHale. Knowing what they cost might help both players use them to best effect.

Tenys4ever
01-12-2009, 06:37 AM
There is quite a bit more on http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/ Australian Tennis at its Lowest Ebb

CooCooCachoo
01-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Horrible choice for Klein and Tomic over Luczak, but I expected it. I was kind of hoping that Luczak's results in Sydney Qualies this week would have changed TA's stance, but unfortunately they didn't. And perhaps his quick loss to Malisse didn't help his case much either. Still, he is a very deserving choice, whereas both Klein and Tomic, while young, already showed that they aren't ready, as they have not done well with the chances they have been given early in this season. Not only did both underachieve in the play-off event, they subsequently did not take advantage of their MD WCs. I understand why a tournament would use a youth policy, but this should not be done in a coûte que coûte way.

As for the women's WCs, Wejnert and Rogowska are good choices.

Labamba
01-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Luczak not getting one :o

Action Jackson
01-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Joke Luczak not getting a WC, an absolute joke.

The guy was making MD's and he had a stress fracture of the pelvis for fuck sake, which put him out, came back to play DC when he wasn't ready.

Finishes the year strongly in tough conditions and he gets pissed over in favour of these cockchimps like Klein.

bad gambler
01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Klein getting a WC :lol:

Aussie WC's were never about those deserving so I suppose I shouldn't be suprised.

Experimentee
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Klein is a joke, there is no way he should be in a main draw of a Slam. There are at least 5 other guys who deserve it more than him.

Tomic I suppose has done well in juniors, but has hardly played any senior ITFs and isn't ready for a main draw Grand Slam. Obviously it will drum up publicity as Tomic has been hyped so much by the media.

Luczak and Sirianni deserved main draw over anyone else, they are the only Aussies who achieved decent results in the ATP events this summer.

Audacity
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
If there is an upside to the selection of Tomic; it is obviously that it gives them something to strive for. He is obviously only young and perhaps the experience will make him work hard towards trying to get to ATP level, may I say that Marinko Matosevic would have been a much smarter selection.

In all fairness of the youth policy I would prefer Tomic over Sirriani, however Klein, a no hoper, over Luczak is a complete joke. Klein failed last year in the MD of the AO, and failed in Brisbane. The wildcard clearly should have went to Luczak. Australian tennis' future is in serious doubt, so giving away a wildcard to a young Tomic, who put in decent results in the Juniors, put in a decent performance against a top 15 player isn't so bad; IMO better than throwing it away to someone aged 33 who is obviously not going to help Australia's future, and would probably put up the same scorline against Verdasco as Tomic did.

Many people said last year that Smeets was deserving of all the wildcards he was given; but in the end, what did he achieve when we looks back at his results? He's on the verge of dropping out of the top 200.

petar_pan
01-12-2009, 02:27 PM
great,the kidd got one.come on tomic.mi hrvati.

Juanes
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
maybe Hrbaty, if he plays Auckland....... not? i think he wants to play AO

Tenys4ever
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Earning a wild card the right way
Monday, January 5, 2009

Posted by Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com

The news story didn't exactly generate headlines, but John Isner and Christina McHale have wild cards into the Australian Open, and they got them the old-fashioned way -- earning them in a special playoffs sponsored by the USTA. This is a great way to dole out wild cards, and a welcome change from the chronic abuse of the wild-card system.

The wild-card concept was created mainly for three reasons: First, it allowed tournaments to include and honor older players and former champions (inevitably, fan favorites) who still wanted to give the game a go but no longer played enough (or well enough) to earn direct entry. Second, it provided a "fast track" method of getting back into the mix for players who were forced to take an extended break (usually due to injury) from the game. Third, it gave tournament directors a little more promotional latitude.

The third reason is the least important, and it factored mostly at smaller events. By giving wild cards to either well-known local tennis figures (former top-50 players) or promising juniors from the area, a tournament could drum up valuable publicity in local media outlets, and -- theoretically -- sell that many more tickets.

These original purposes have been useful and remain so. Who would deny that two of the highlights of the recent Open era were Jimmy Connors' riveting run to the U.S. Open semifinals in 1991 and Goran Ivanisevic's long-deferred Wimbledon victory in 2001? Connors and Ivanisevic were both wild-card entries, for a combination of the first two reasons listed above.

But over time, the original concept of the wild card was corrupted. Wild cards became bargaining chips that agents used to recruit potential clients, and tournaments used to try to build relationships with budding stars. Thus, a talented 14-year-old was offered or promised x number of wild cards either by agents (whose associates ran tournaments) or by tournament directors looking to impress themselves on the youngster or his family.

Still later, the Grand Slam events began to use wild cards to seed a draw with home-nation players, even if they were fundamentally incompetent and destined for first-round humiliation. While this is more palatable than using wild cards as recruitment tools, it's still a shame to see wild cards that could go to deserving top 20-grade players wind up in the hands of green juniors or hopeless journeymen just because they're from the host nation.

Presently, the U.S. and Australia have a reciprocal wild-card deal, whereby each nation gives the other a wild card to use as it sees fit. That's how Isner and McHale scored their entries into the Australian Open. And it's good to see that the USTA didn't merely anoint a player the chosen one and hand him or her the free ticket: It put the wild card up for grabs via a mini-tournament. While it's seemingly a small gesture, the wild-card competition underscores something that certain critics of the U.S. development system have been harping on for quite some time: the lack of serious competition among peers.

Earning wild cards already represents significant victories for Isner and McHale. Knowing what they cost might help both players use them to best effect.

That's why I think this article is so good. The RIGHT way to earn their MD Wildcards - Isner and McHale have put in the hard work and proved their wildcard effort. Can't really see the point of having a AO Playoff where, like Tomic, only won one match and still manages to get a MD Wildcard. He would have earned it (as has Isner and McHale) and nobody could dispute it!

The quote below says it all: shame TA didn't play by these rules - it seems they keep changing to fit their own criteria.

And it's good to see that the USTA didn't merely anoint a player the chosen one and hand him or her the free ticket: It put the wild card up for grabs via a mini-tournament.

DIdn't Ebelithe win the PLayoff - hope he receives a MD Wildcard too. He deserves it.

Redline
01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Ebelthite automatically got a wildcard becuase he won the play off.

How the handle the Qualifying wildcards will be interesting. They will want to go with juniors over guys like Lindahl, Coelho and Ebden but all three are so close to the cut off they surely have to give them one.

jmf07
01-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Ebelthite automatically got a wildcard becuase he won the play off.

How the handle the Qualifying wildcards will be interesting. They will want to go with juniors over guys like Lindahl, Coelho and Ebden but all three are so close to the cut off they surely have to give them one.

If they overlook Lindahl, Coehlo and Ebden they deserved to be sacked from selecting wildcards. All three are still young, Lindahl was a AO junior finalist and Coehlo was one of the form players on the Australian Futures circuit at the end of last year.

The only reason they wouldn't select them is because they aren't apart of the AIS which they have done before which is extremely sad of a national tennis organization basically saying you have to be apart of a certain program rather than other Australian tennis programs.

Experimentee
01-13-2009, 06:12 AM
If they overlook Lindahl, Coehlo and Ebden they deserved to be sacked from selecting wildcards. All three are still young, Lindahl was a AO junior finalist and Coehlo was one of the form players on the Australian Futures circuit at the end of last year.

The only reason they wouldn't select them is because they aren't apart of the AIS which they have done before which is extremely sad of a national tennis organization basically saying you have to be apart of a certain program rather than other Australian tennis programs.

I agree with this. We will wait and see tonight what the decision is.

Considering the state of Australian tennis right now I can't blame the guys who have decided to leave the AIS. Obviously they aren't producing anyone at the moment, so why not go off on their own?

CooCooCachoo
01-13-2009, 07:07 AM

I think the one who was most in danger of being overlooked (Lindahl) was lucky and got in straight away after enough withdrawals. Coelho will surely get one; Ebden should. Either way, they are the next two in if there are more withdrawals.

CooCooCachoo
01-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Qualifying WCs:

120 (WC) Millman, John AUS
121 (WC) Propoggia, Dane AUS
122 (WC) Verryth, Mark AUS
123 (WC) Reid, Matt AUS
124 (WC) Ebden, Matthew AUS
125 (WC) Jones, Greg AUS
126 (WC) Thomas, Andrew AUS
127 (WC) Coelho, Andrew AUS
128 (WC) McKenzie, Brendan AUS (Optus 18s Australian Singles Champion)

Looks like Feeney is the one who got screwed over.

jmf07
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Wildcards seem justified except for the decision not to give Todd Reid one. I would say he has more potential than Propoggia and Reid (Matt) and he has performed very well in the four futures tournaments he has played.

Like I said though the QWCs are pretty spot on with the only other different decision I would have made is to give Feeney one after his competitive results last year but I suppose he has probably reached o is nearing his peak where as Reid and Propoggia are still unknown and have alot of upside.

It will be interesting to see what Miles Armstrong does in regards to the AIS now after failing to recieve a wildcard and being possibly forced to play a couple of clay court tournaments won’t make him all that happy especially when it is considered that he if he had played hardcourt tournaments instead of clay court tournaments he may well have gained enough points to make the cut for the Qualies.

Tenys4ever
01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I thought Todd Reid had injured his shoulder and was forced to serve underarm for a while. Maybe that's why he wasn't selected.

jmf07
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I thought Todd Reid had injured his shoulder and was forced to serve underarm for a while. Maybe that's why he wasn't selected.

Yeah he started serving overarm again in the Manly AMT and he defeated Feeney in the same tournament in the semis so it isn't as though he can't play atm. Given the extra month as well and he should be fine by now. Knowing his luck though he has probably picked up another injury or something and that is why he didn't get selected.