Milorad (Rod) Blagojevic(h) Illinois governor Arrested [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Milorad (Rod) Blagojevic(h) Illinois governor Arrested

El Legenda
12-09-2008, 05:42 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/09/illinois.govenor/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is in federal custody on corruption charges, a law enforcement official said Tuesday.

Rod Blagojevich is currently serving his second term as governor of Illinois.

Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, are charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's office for the Northern District of Illinois.

Both men are expected in U.S. District Court in Chicago later Tuesday.

A news conference is expected at noon ET.

Federal prosecutors say Blagojevich, Harris and others conspired to gain financial benefits in appointing President-elect Barack Obama's Senate replacement, according to the statement.

"The breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering," U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said in a statement. "They allege that Blagojevich put a 'for sale' sign on the naming of a United States Senator; involved himself personally in pay-to-play schemes with the urgency of a salesman meeting his annual sales target; and corruptly used his office in an effort to trample editorial voices of criticism."

According to the statement, Blagojevich is alleged to have discussed obtaining:

a substantial salary for himself at either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions;

a spot for his wife on paid corporate boards, where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year;

promises of campaign funds -- including cash up front;

a Cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.

The Obama transition team is aware that Blagojevich is in federal custody, but has no comment, according to a senior Democratic source.

The statement also alleges that Blagojevich and others tried to illegally obtain campaign contributions.

Blagojevich, Harris and others are also alleged to have withheld state assistance to the Tribune Company in connection with the sale of Wrigley Field. The statement says this was done to induce the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members who were critical of Blagojevich.

Blagojevich, who turns 52 on Wednesday, is in his second four-year term as Illinois governor. His term ends in January 2011.

Before being elected governor, he served as a U.S. congressman for Illinois' 5th district from 1997 until 2003, according to his online biography. He and his wife, Patti, have two daughters.

Blagojevich announced last month that he was forming a panel to review candidates to fill Obama's Senate seat.

Several Illinois Democrats -- including Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. and Iraq war veteran Tammy Duckworth, a former congressional candidate who now serves in Blagojevich's administration -- have been mentioned as possible Senate replacements for Obama.

Kitty de Sade
12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
The presser is going on right now- yet another Illinois governor being carted away in handcuffs.

You can't pin it on descent. Blago has always been scum. I feel sorry for the kids. :tape:

scoobs
12-09-2008, 05:46 PM
What an idiot man.

Kitty de Sade
12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
He's been in trouble for years. This isn't a surprise, and he's getting what he deserves.

The Attorney General here has said there was a wire tap installed- Blago was planning to pocket the $$$$ from the sale of the senate seat.

He's just another :retard: in a long line of :retard: that seem to converge in Illinois. It's embarrassing.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
He's been in trouble for years. This isn't a surprise, and he's getting what he deserves.

The Attorney General here has said there was a wire tap installed- Blago was planning to pocket the $$$$ from the sale of the senate seat.

He's just another :retard: in a long line of :retard: that seem to converge in Illinois. It's embarrassing.
Yes I've heard he's been considered dodgy before this and has bad approval ratings.

Isn't there something with the Chicago mayor also?

The triumph of Barack Obama is a triumph of reason over guilt-by-association that McCain tried to paint Obama with - but maybe McCain should have focused more on Chicago politicians that Bill Ayers :help:

Kitty de Sade
12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Yes I've heard he's been considered dodgy before this and has bad approval ratings.

Isn't there something with the Chicago mayor also?

Richard Daley has a stranglehold on the city. There is literally no one to challenge him- it's like a lifetime contract.

He's had so much stink on him for decades- some believe he's been in hip-deep in organized crime from the beginning.

The triumph of Barack Obama is a triumph of reason over guilt-by-association that McCain tried to paint Obama with - but maybe McCain should have focused more on Chicago politicians that Bill Ayers :help:

His own strategists, now after the fact of course, had said it was a poorly run campaign. McCain focused on the wrong points. (I'm glad he did though, obviously.)

Shine a light on Chicago politics, and they would uncover a wealth of information- this is one of the most corrupt cities in the country.

El Legenda
12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/12/09/complaintcoverandaff.pdf

some of the phone-convo beteen Rod and Harris.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I hope they throw the book at him

Richard_from_Cal
12-09-2008, 06:08 PM
:lol:

Richard_from_Cal
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
...Wait..(and thanks for the link, Stephen Colbert) it says "Special Agent David" kxvdq2...

Those are the drug addicts, pimps, illegal Rico co-conspirators that they [the F.B.I.] gives a 'new identity' to, and then owns, right? So when they're "shocked"...I shouldn't be surprised.

This is the bureaucracy, trying to make Obama look bad, somehow.

Remember when Clinton got into office: all the Black church burnings. In the South?

Snoo Foo
12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
A chicago politician (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_history_of_Chicago) cheating... what a shocker.

Winston's Human
12-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Corruption in Chicago. Who would believe it?

Clara Bow
12-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Well- I am glad that Blago is on tape cursing Obama "motherf*****" just a few weeks ago because Obama wasn't playing any type of ball.

There are big rumors that Rham E is the one who blew the whistle.

Of course- I see in some message boards folks gloating how Blago's conviction taints Obama- but he looks pretty darned clean so far. (And I have to love the GOP gloating about Dems- when Gov Ryan was a Republican). The governership seems to stink no matter what the party.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Maybe it's haunted or tainted somehow - like that FL rep seat that had the Mark Foley sex scandal and the Dem replacement has also not been able to keep his hands off the hired help.

buddyholly
12-10-2008, 03:18 AM
The governership seems to stink no matter what the party.

An Alaskan Governor that is intellectually challenged.
An Illinois Governor that wakes up in the morning and says, "Give me money, motherfuckers."

The best thing about American democracy is the diversity of choice.

buddyholly
12-13-2008, 12:58 AM
What did Obama know and when did he know it?

The press seems to want to stay well away from these questions, as do MTF posters, apparently.

But we all know that Chicago politics is a snake-pit. Jackson, Emmanuel etc................

This could be Obama's Watergate - and he is not even in the White House yet.

I hope there are enough Woodwards and Bernsteins out there.

Stensland
12-13-2008, 01:44 AM
as much as i hate to say it, i do believe some of obama's guys knew something about blagojevich as well. i'm not saying it was obama himself, but if you're as connected as axelrod for example it'd be pretty hard not to hear stuff around chicago. i'm hoping for the best though.