In the spotlight - Scoobs [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

In the spotlight - Scoobs

Pages : [1] 2

Clydey
12-06-2008, 05:10 PM
At what point did you realise that you were homosexual?

At what age did you come out of the closet?

What do you do for a living?

Did you feel honoured when you were made a moderator, being in the company of a giant like RagingMug?

X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing?

David Hume or John Locke?

Ant or Dec?

I'll put the same question to you as I did to Jenni. What do you think has been the greatest contribution to the world, whether it be a concept or an invention?

Eden
12-06-2008, 05:48 PM
1) Who would be a good choice as the new ATP president?
2) Who will win the GS tournaments in 2009?
3) When did you start watching tennis?
4) Which match do you consider as best of all time?
5) What would you like to see improve on MTF?
6) What’s your favourite match of your favourite player and who is the opponent you enjoy to see him play against the most?
7) Who would be your favourite coach for your favourite player?
8) What are you most proud of?
9) Do you think there's a chance we get to see it within the next years that a homosexual tennisplayer finds the courage to admit it in public?
10) Which vices do you have?
11) What are your best and worst characteristic traits?
12) What’s your philosophy of life?
13) What's your best childhood memory?
14) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

the biscuit
12-06-2008, 06:00 PM
- is there any choices you have made lately that you would change if you could?
- what 3 bands can you not stand?
- if you had to give up your favorite food forever, what is the minimum amount of money you would demand in return?
- do you sing in the car when you think nobody is looking?

Stensland
12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
what does it feel like to be one of the most respected users of the biggest tennis board out there?

do you feel british or english? or both?

what's your favorite sport apart from tennis?

what did you like about becker? what didn't you like? game AND personality please.

do you believe murray is going to get britain the davis cup during his career?

in 2003, if you remember, what did you think were the chances of roger reigning supreme in the coming years?

in your opinion, is abramovitch going to dump chelsea some time soon?

Stensland
12-06-2008, 06:15 PM
...and what is it with you and scooby doo? (i take it "scoobs" comes from the dog, right?)

NinaNina19
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Why do you like Nadal?

Fee
12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
How 'gifted' are you (in inches)? :aplot: :devil:

:lol: :hug:

scoobs
12-06-2008, 07:53 PM
At what point did you realise that you were homosexual?

Right let's see what we have here.

There wasn't one particular point. I had, what, looking back, I would now describe as childhood crushes on men. When I got to around the age of 12 or 13, around there anyway, I started to become dimly aware of my differences with other people, my friends, and so on - I suppose like everyone does - you know what adolescence is like - you wish you were taller, or better at sports like your friend is, or whatever. I started to realise that, while my friends were becoming interested in girls and sex, I was becoming interested in my friends :) Though I was in denial for a long time, and I didn't really come to accept what I was and what it meant until I was about 16 and leaving school.

At what age did you come out of the closet?
I was 18 when I came out, I told my sister and my mum first. They weren't terribly surprised, which made it something of an anti-climax :)

What do you do for a living?
I do IT project analysis and development. It's dull at times but I do work from home most of the time so it has its perks.

Did you feel honoured when you were made a moderator?

No. I felt anticipation like you do whenever you do something new. It's been an interesting experience.

X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing?
Neither. Reality TV shows bore me witless.

David Hume or John Locke?
John Locke

Ant or Dec?
In what sense? I used to find both of them cute but with all the personality of a damp flannel.

I'll put the same question to you as I did to Jenni. What do you think has been the greatest contribution to the world, whether it be a concept or an invention?

Tough question.

The Gutenberg press has to be well up there, it wasn't the very first of its kind but it certainly was the right invention at the right time to change the world. I think the internet has to be up there, too - astonishing how much the world has changed in the last 10 years when the internet really started to take off on a consumer basis. Quite possibly also I'd consider the medical practice advances of Lister and Pasteur/Koch in the 1860s and 1870s have had a massive impact on the modern world.

Kitty de Sade
12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
1) Why are the majority of straight men so :cuckoo: ?

2) What is your biggest concern about the next generation of gay men?

3) Tennis player you'd most/least like to spend 24 hours with?

4) Are you a better singer, dancer or actor?

5) Which celebrity do you feel is most deserving of a smack?

scoobs
12-06-2008, 08:40 PM
1) Who would be a good choice as the new ATP president?
I really don't know the answer to this - I can't help thinking that someone like Ivan Ljubicic may not be a bad choice but it's still uncertain about how much business/commercial know-how the man has and that's an important part of it. But it needs to be someone who has player concerns much higher on the priority list.

2) Who will win the GS tournaments in 2009?
Murray, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, in that order, though I find the Aussie Open really hard to call.

3) When did you start watching tennis?
My first memories of watching tennis was the 1985 Wimbledon final - Becker vs Curran. Not a bad introduction :)

4) Which match do you consider as best of all time?
I'd probably have to be terribly conventional and go for Borg v McEnroe 1980 but there's nothing like the thrill of a really good tennis match when the excitement is at fever pitch :)

5) What would you like to see improve on MTF?
I'd like there to be more discussion of the actual tennis in the tennis match results thread :) Seems like most of the time the match is just an excuse for one fangroup to start sneering at another.

6) What’s your favourite match of your favourite player and who is the opponent you enjoy to see him play against the most?
I think my favourite Federer match is the 2005 Australian Open semi-final. I always like to see him play Safin, I think their matches are usually fun. In Murray's case it would be the US Open semi-final this year where he got his first win over Nadal and found some terrific shotmaking to do it. I think Murray's matches with Nadal are usually good value for money, except when on clay.

7) Who would be your favourite coach for your favourite player?
I don't know, really - I tend to be a bit wary of coaches and seeing them as the panacea to a player's problems - I prefer it to be about the players taking responsibility for their game and its strengths and weaknesses and hiring somebody who can assist in those areas rather than one coach who is a fix-all. I like players who are self-aware enough to identify their own needs, although this does not preclude getting advice when the coach spots something that the player doesn't.

8) What are you most proud of?
I guess I'm most proud that I've been with my partner for nearly 6 years and somehow managed to keep it going - I would never have thought of myself as the type to do that - I'm quite a loner.

9) Do you think there's a chance we get to see it within the next years that a homosexual tennisplayer finds the courage to admit it in public?
Depends if there are any, really. Would assume that there must be a couple. Ideally I'd like them to be able to come out. I think it would be a useful role model and a positive statement to society in general. But I could hardly blame people for not doing so - having done it myself, I know it's not an easy thing to do, and having to deal with public and private reaction and deal with the sort of casual homophobia that goes on in locker rooms....it's a high price to pay, would need someone exceptional who's willing to pay it.

10) Which vices do you have?
I enjoy my food a little too much :)

11) What are your best and worst characteristic traits?
I think I am quite level-headed and not easily offended. I'm told I can be a bit pompous and patronising at times though :) I'm also slightly obsessive at times - when I'm interesting in something, it can become a bit all-consuming - as with tennis :)

12) What’s your philosophy of life?
I think to just try and be happy, care for others and be the best person I can be. You get such a short time on earth, we don't have a lot of choice in it and a lot of what happens is outside our control, so I believe in trying to make the best of it.

13) What's your best childhood memory?
I think probably playing computer games with my gran. She had a ZX Spectrum in the 80s, she was a bit of a computer game nut, which always amused us. We used to play different games and try to outdo each other. She was great and I miss her a lot.

14) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I don't know...probably in much the same place I am now, just hopefully a bit better off financially so I can travel a bit more, maybe see more live tennis :)

scoobs
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
- is there any choices you have made lately that you would change if you could?
I wish that, when I moved the other month, when it took weeks to get the internet back on, I hadn't connected to the internet through my mobile phone as much. I ran up quite a bill :)

- what 3 bands can you not stand?
Rod Stewart, Alice Cooper, most modern R&B

- if you had to give up your favorite food forever, what is the minimum amount of money you would demand in return?
The problem is, with a lot of money, I'd be all the more tempted to buy the finest of my favourite food - chocolate. So it's hard to say. What's the point in being rich if you can't indulge in your favourite food? Even in moderation :)

- do you sing in the car when you think nobody is looking?

Absolutely. And I have a terrible voice. But I love to sing :)

zeleni
12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
What is your opinion on gay pride parades?

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:14 PM
what does it feel like to be one of the most respected users of the biggest tennis board out there?
Umm - it's nice to hear but I don't really think in those terms. I don't worry about all that sort of stuff. I just be myself online, don't put on any acts, and let the rest take care of itself. It's nice to be liked but there are people on here who don't think much of me at all, and I don't let that sort of thing worry me at all.

do you feel british or english? or both?
I feel British and European but I don't really worry about all this identity stuff. I find it a bit bizarre that people place so much attachment to the name of the landmass they happen to have been born upon, and the things it makes them do as a result.

what's your favorite sport apart from tennis?Probably badminton but I hardly pay any attention to it at all - tennis is my only real sporting passion.

what did you like about becker? what didn't you like? game AND personality please.I liked his serve and his dive volleys. I disliked how he used to stalk around the back of the court and mutter and curse to himself. Oddly, it's one of the things I find endearing about Murray. Nobody said I was consistent :)

do you believe murray is going to get britain the davis cup during his career?
Nope, not at all - it would be virtually impossible to win it alone and he's pretty much a one man band at this time. And that seems unlikely to change. It's hard enough to win the cup with just two world class players.

in 2003, if you remember, what did you think were the chances of roger reigning supreme in the coming years?
I thought it unlikely - he was brilliant but erratic and it seemed like he might have a problem bringing his best for big matches. I would have said that he might win a couple of slams at most, but not the dominant player of the past 4 years or so.

in your opinion, is abramovitch going to dump chelsea some time soon?
I would imagine so - I don't the billionaires have quite as much money to play with as they once did, especially if they were in oil. I think a lot of sporting events could be in trouble in the next couple of years.

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
...and what is it with you and scooby doo? (i take it "scoobs" comes from the dog, right?)

I first used an internet chatroom about 11 years ago when I first got online. I needed some sort of alias to use so I picked Scooby Doo and it's been with me ever since - I shortened it to Scoobs ages ago to make it a bit less unwieldy. I did used to enjoy the cartoon as a kid though :)

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Why do you like Nadal?

I like his attitude and dedication and match toughness - I think it's superb. I don't find his tennis the prettiest to watch at all, but the way he's just so tough to break down, the way a player has to go out and beat him to win the match because he won't drop away and hand it over. I find it really impressive, especially since he's been doing it from such a young age.

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
How 'gifted' are you (in inches)? :aplot: :devil:

:lol: :hug:

They call me Subway cos they come to me for a footlong.

Fee
12-06-2008, 09:22 PM

I love you in so many ways. :hug:

I love your answers in this thread too, very honest and impressive. :inlove:

Stensland
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I liked his serve and his dive volleys. I disliked how he used to stalk around the back of the court and mutter and curse to himself. Oddly, it's one of the things I find endearing about Murray. Nobody said I was consistent :)

ok, three follow-up questions:

do you believe serve-and-volley tactics will ever be a real force in tennis again?

will there be a speed-up in courts any time soon?

if you'd coach murray, what part of his game would you take on in the first week?

Stensland
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM

:lol::lol:

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:34 PM
1) Why are the majority of straight men so :cuckoo: ?
We live in a universe of infinite majesty - and mystery.

2) What is your biggest concern about the next generation of gay men?
That they're unaware of how fragile what gains have been made are and that there's still a long way to go in terms of acceptance and integration into society. Irresponsible attitude to STIs and barebacking.

3) Tennis player you'd most/least like to spend 24 hours with?
I'd most like to spend 24 hours with Andy Murray - we'd probably end up playing a lot of video games, backgammon, cards and I'd have to let him win or he'd start carrying on cos he hates to lose at anything :)

I'd least like to spend 24 hours with Radek Stepanek. It would be interesting to find out as an academic exercise if he's as irritating off court as he is on it.

4) Are you a better singer, dancer or actor?
I'm a better actor. I'm not a bad dancer. I'm a terrible singer :)

v5) Which celebrity do you feel is most deserving of a smack?[/quote]
Paris Hilton - head of a breed of celebrity that should be banned from stepping anywhere near a camera by law. The celebrity that is famous for being famous and for no other talent than that.

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:38 PM
What is your opinion on gay pride parades?

I have no problem with the idea of them, I think there's nothing wrong with an expression of culture/heritage/whatever you want to call it - although I don't think they need to be used as an excuse for indecent public behaviour - being out and proud doesn't mean being irresponsible, self-indulgent and thinking you have the right to do things in public that other people can't.

Kitty de Sade
12-06-2008, 09:41 PM
We live in a universe of infinite majesty - and mystery.

This doesn't help. :rolleyes:

That they're unaware of how fragile what gains have been made are and that there's still a long way to go in terms of acceptance and integration into society. Irresponsible attitude to STIs and barebacking.

Exactly what I hoped to read. Lovely. :D

scoobs
12-06-2008, 09:44 PM
ok, three follow-up questions:

do you believe serve-and-volley tactics will ever be a real force in tennis again?
I think so - I think it's unlikely that things will remain as they are - things are always changing - maybe they'll speed the courts up again, maybe tastes will demand they do to bring some serve-volley back - or change the ball size. Or maybe the next generation of racquets will enable serve-volley to be more effective somehow.

These things seem to be cyclic.

will there be a speed-up in courts any time soon?

Not anytime soon but I think it'll happen eventually - there'll be a reaction to court speeds getting too similar and it will change again.

if you'd coach murray, what part of his game would you take on in the first week?

I'd address his second serve, which I think is the biggest on-court weakness in his game. I think it's going to be the one thing that holds him back from winning slams unless he addresses it - players know that and it's about the only real obvious thing many of them know to go after - attack his second serve.

Stensland
12-06-2008, 10:06 PM
so what about your own ambitions when you were young? ever played tennis competitively?

scoobs
12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
so what about your own ambitions when you were young? ever played tennis competitively?
I wanted to be a teacher when I was young but I don't think I would want to do that now.

I have played tennis but unfortunately I have pretty poor hand-eye coordination :)

I know what I want the racquet to do to the ball but between my mind's eye and the arm motion, something seems to go regrettably wrong :lol:

I do like to play but I'm pretty bad. I do regret that, I'd like to be better. Plus, being fairly short, I'm very vulnerable to topspin. ;)

Eden
12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your answers :hatoff:

Some more questions:

1) What do you like most of your country?
2) What's your most treasured possession?
3) What things in life annoy you?
4) Which countries have you been to so far?
5) What is one thing you want to do in your lifetime?
6) What do you value most in a person?
7) Why do people on MTF seem to enjoy it more to bash players instead of supporting their favourite ones?
8) What is your New Years Resolution?
9) Do you have any quirks?
10) What was the most frightening moment of your life?

scoobs
12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your answers :hatoff:

Some more questions:

1) What do you like most of your country?
Umm - I guess that there's a better amount of personal freedom here than a lot of places on Earth - I can be gay, and out, and protected under the law by and large. From a strictly personal point of view, I am thankful that I wasn't born in a less tolerant society where I would have to hide what I am or risk prison, or even a death sentence.

2) What's your most treasured possession?
My computer - I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a computer and internet access - it would make my life enjoyment that much harder.

3) What things in life annoy you?
Small minded people, injustice, the fact that the world we live in is a largely depressing place. :)

4) Which countries have you been to so far?
I've been to the USA, Australia, Thailand, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain. I haven't travelled nearly as much as I'd like to.

5) What is one thing you want to do in your lifetime?
Sad as it may sound, I'd like to visit all four Grand Slams - preferably in the same year.

6) What do you value most in a person?
Honesty and a sense of humour. People who can make me laugh and people who can tell me what they really think without fear of judgement are like gold.

7) Why do people on MTF seem to enjoy it more to bash players instead of supporting their favourite ones?
I just think for some reason people like stirring each other and winding each other up. I don't know why.

8) What is your New Years Resolution?
I don't have any since I always end up breaking them. General resolution is to have a better year to come than the one just gone - but it doesn't work out that way sometimes.

9) Do you have any quirks?
Nothing major - I'm not superstitious really. I've racked my brain but I can't think of anything really quirky about me.

10) What was the most frightening moment of your life?
I haven't had too many frightening moments. My brother was involved in an accident when I was younger and I saw it happen, that was pretty scary and unpleasant. I was chased by a gang when I was a teenager - they were waiting outside a shop and decided I was a queer and chased me. That was horrible - I'm not the fastest runner but I did manage to lose them. Lord help me, I'm a lover not a fighter :)

elessar
12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Does it annoy you that so many people decided to ask you questions related to your homosexuality :lol: ?

finishingmove
12-06-2008, 11:10 PM
tea or milk?

scoobs
12-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Does it annoy you that so many people decided to ask you questions related to your homosexuality :lol: ?
No.

I sorta expected it.

Still, I have to say, I hope the day one day comes where the whole thing doesn't cause such...curiosity...because people don't think twice anymore.

Would be a good sign.

But no, I don't mind talking about it.

scoobs
12-06-2008, 11:13 PM
tea or milk?
tea with milk.

finishingmove
12-06-2008, 11:14 PM
tea with milk.

but if u could pick only one...

scoobs
12-06-2008, 11:15 PM
but if u could pick only one...
milk - cos I don't like tea without milk :)

finishingmove
12-06-2008, 11:16 PM
milk - cos I don't like tea without milk :)

:yeah:

Naranoc
12-06-2008, 11:17 PM
1) What's been the most difficult part of being a moderator?
2) What did you apply to study at Cambridge? How did you find the whole experience?
3) Would you ever condone violence in any way as a solution to a problem?
4) Do you ever just get depressed by existence as a whole? How can someone get out of that 'contemplative rut', as it were?
5) Where do you see yourself residing after ten years? Is there a place you'd like to live in temporarily?

Byrd
12-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Most embarrasing moment? :lol:

scoobs
12-06-2008, 11:32 PM
1) What's been the most difficult part of being a moderator?
There are times where you have to make some tricky judgement calls - and at times the negative carry-on when something happens that people don't like. It gets a bit wearing sometimes - and when things get really low and there's name-calling, racism, sexism, etc - on a personal level I find it really distasteful and wonder why people carry on like that.

2) What did you apply to study at Cambridge? How did you find the whole experience?
I applied to study Chemistry with French. Ultimately they decided not to offer me a place, although I had the grades they needed. I guess I didn't have the sort of background or personality they were looking for, or something - I don't know. Working class Northerners still struggle to get into Oxbridge. I don't know whether it was that, or something else. Sometimes I regret that I didn't get in - there's no doubt that, wherever you start life from, an Oxbridge university education can open doors that nothing else can. At other times, I think perhaps it was a good thing I didn't end up going - not really sure I would have been happy or settled there. We'll never know - the road never travelled eh.

3) Would you ever condone violence in any way as a solution to a problem?
I never say never - I guess sometimes there's just no other choice. But still, it's rare. Violence can never be a good thing, even if sometimes it seems like the only answer. Only as a last resort though.

4) Do you ever just get depressed by existence as a whole? How can someone get out of that 'contemplative rut', as it were?
Occasionally. I find myself, at times, pondering the futility of it all. You live, you die. You spend the time betwen birth and death doing...what? Do you do any good? Do you achieve anything? Is it all meaningless anyway? I'm not religious so I can't go down the whole "serving a higher purpose" route. And yeah, somedays, you wonder why you even get out of bed.

But fortunately for me, I find that if I get too moody and introspective, I get bored with myself and my mood moves on of its own accord.

Besides, I pretty much reached the view that - maybe there is a point to life - maybe there is a higher purpose to all this. If so, it's beyond me. So I try to live as well as I can, not hurting others, helping people if I can, and trying to be happy. Hopefully, if there is a higher purpose, that serves it. If there isn't, then it still strikes me as the best way to try and live. I'm bloody well here so I might as well try and make the best of the time I have, eh.

5) Where do you see yourself residing after ten years? Is there a a place you'd like to live in temporarily?
I can see myself still living in London - I like it here. I'm definitely a city boy. When I was younger I dreamed I would like to live in New York, Paris, especially Sydney. Now, I don't think these things are going to happen, and I'm fine with that. But I would like to spend more time in these places, definitely.

scoobs
12-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Most embarrasing moment? :lol:
I think my most embarrassing moment was when I was in hospital when I was 16, I had an operation in an intimate area. I had to wear a support piece not unlike a jockstrap. I think the time my mother came to visit and the nurse insisted on showing her the foul looking codpiece (while I was wearing it), was one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened. You see, there was a hole in the thing for my...footlong...to poke through - it wasn't designed to contain that part of my equipment, you see, that was meant to be worn...on the outside. My mother didn't know where to put her eyes and I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Horrifying :)

Stensland
12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
if it was up to you, where would you put a fifth slam if you had to?

do you think earlier tennis generations had more interesting players for the audience?

what do you make of the "brüno"-character sacha baron cohen is going to play (and has played before on his show)? does stuff like that offend you, make you laugh, bother you in any way?

do you zap during matches or do you take it all in, even the changeovers?

what's you interest in the women's tour like? please rate on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest.

Byrd
12-06-2008, 11:48 PM
I think my most embarrassing moment was when I was in hospital when I was 16, I had an operation in an intimate area. I had to wear a support piece not unlike a jockstrap. I think the time my mother came to visit and the nurse insisted on showing her the foul looking codpiece (while I was wearing it), was one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened. You see, there was a hole in the thing for my...footlong...to poke through - it wasn't designed to contain that part of my equipment, you see, that was meant to be worn...on the outside. My mother didn't know where to put her eyes and I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Horrifying :)

:lol: classic, sounds like something from American Pie :p

q.j.
12-07-2008, 12:00 AM
-What is the best comedy series that came from GB ? (except for Monty P )

- Rachel Weisz or Kate Winslet

scoobs
12-07-2008, 12:03 AM
if it was up to you, where would you put a fifth slam if you had to?
Umm - if I *had* to, I would put a fifth slam somewhere in Latin America - as long as it could be shown that there was sufficient demand for it. It has a longer tennis tradition than places like China and the Middle East, and I would want to reward that first - I think it's better to put big tournaments in places where good players are coming through in the case of new tournaments, not put big tournaments in places in the hopes that it encourages players to come through - seems the wrong way around to me, but it's all follow the money isn't it. Still, I think four slams is enough. You add more, you dilute the value.

do you think earlier tennis generations had more interesting players for the audience?
I think all generations have had their interesting players, perhaps some generations have been more interesting than others. But I think there's a tendancy to play the past grass is always greener game. People talk abou the 90s as a panacea with guys like Sampras, Agassi, Kuerten, Moya, Ivanisevic etc. But they forget that many many people complained at the time how boring and one-note the game was, all fast courts and big serves. I'm sure you can find complaints in all eras. I think it's pointless comparing too much - both in terms of games and personalities - all are products of their time.

what do you make of the "brüno"-character sacha baron cohen is going to play (and has played before on his show)? does stuff like that offend you, make you laugh, bother you in any way?
It doesn't bother me but it doesn't really make me laugh either - it's a bit unsubtle for my tastes. But I don't see why homosexuality should be any different from anything else in terms of being a target for satire and comedy. The only complaint I might make is that you don't see so many "positive" gay characters on tv so it can be a bit of an unbalanced picture.

do you zap during matches or do you take it all in, even the changeovers?
If the match is on a channel with no ad breaks, yeah I take it all in, even the changeovers. I rarely zap when there's tennis on. I'm like Homer Simpson with doughnuts. It has to be an appalling match AND with both players I don't like for me to turn it over - unless there's multichannel and there's a better match available :)

what's you interest in the women's tour like? please rate on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest.
I'd rate my interest in the WTA to be a 6-7 these days. I do watch it but I pay less close attention than I do the ATP, by a long way. I find the tennis of better quality and the personalities more interesting on the men's tour. On the WTA the variety has diminished even further than on the mens tour - too many flat groundstroke ballbashers and when it's bad, it's appalling - balls flying out by feet point after point. No concept of trying to rein your game in when it's not working. That said, I can make do with it if there's no mens tennis going on.

scoobs
12-07-2008, 12:05 AM
-What is the best comedy series that came from GB ? (except for Monty P )
I don't know - I've enjoyed a lot of british comedy over the years. Probably Absolutely Fabulous for me - I love the outrageous silliness of it all.

- Rachel Weisz or Kate Winslet
Kate Winslet. I like the fact that she has a healthy body image - she's not interested in being a like a lollipop - great big head and a thin stick body.

Thanos
12-07-2008, 12:11 AM
have you ever tried to give raginglamb a infraction??

do you have obsession with tea like most people living in the uk??

have you ever been influenced to have the same hairstyle as david beckham??

which parts of posh spice body, do you think are still real??

q.j.
12-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Edina : ....and this, this is my dead father

Patsy: yes Edi, but... is it art ?

my favorite show along with South Park

scoobs
12-07-2008, 12:16 AM
have you ever tried to give raginglamb a infraction??
No. Why would I?

do you have obsession with tea like most people living in the uk??
No. But I do like a nice cuppa. I only have one or two a day though, and I like my coffee too.

have you ever been influenced to have the same hairstyle as david beckham??
Absolutely not. It made me giggle year in year out watching stupid straight blokes copying him - bleached blond with a centre parting, then a close shave, the stupid mohawk episode and the ridiculous flirtation with the alice band. And they call women the fashion victims. Like sheep.

which parts of posh spice body, do you think are still real??
No idea. She's not someone I waste time thinking about. If she's had work done, good on her - if it makes her happy. I do wonder, though, if it does.

scoobs
12-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Edina : ....and this, this is my dead father

Patsy: yes Edi, but... is it art ?

my favorite show along with South Park
Ahh yes.

"And you can drop the attitude, you still only work in a shop, you know."

Haute
12-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Why are you so freaking awesome? :hearts:

scoobs
12-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Why are you so freaking awesome? :hearts:
you're sweet :)

Haute
12-07-2008, 12:48 AM
You didn't answer the question. :lol:

I'll ask the same question I asked Kelli. Who has been the most important/most influential person in your life?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 12:59 AM
You didn't answer the question. :lol:

I'll ask the same question I asked Kelli. Who has been the most important/most influential person in your life?
My mum - I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for her. When my parents divorced, she was stuck in a very low paid job with three young kids, whilst in her mid 20s. When I think of how much pressure and responsibility was on her shoulders, I still find it amazing that she didn't crumble - I'm not sure I would have been able to stand it in her place.

She did cope, though, she did her best for us, and got herself qualified as a legal executive in her spare time. She dug us out of poverty and gave us the best she could. She's living in Spain now and enjoying herself doing internet-based work. She's made the best out of a bit of a raw deal early on through hard work and fighting on.

I really admire her for all that.

Sunset of Age
12-07-2008, 03:33 AM
My mum - I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for her. When my parents divorced, she was stuck in a very low paid job with three young kids, whilst in her mid 20s. When I think of how much pressure and responsibility was on her shoulders, I still find it amazing that she didn't crumble - I'm not sure I would have been able to stand it in her place.

She did cope, though, she did her best for us, and got herself qualified as a legal executive in her spare time. She dug us out of poverty and gave us the best she could. She's living in Spain now and enjoying herself doing internet-based work. She's made the best out of a bit of a raw deal early on through hard work and fighting on.

That's just awesome. Kudos to your mom. :worship: :worship: :worship:

~*BGT*~
12-07-2008, 04:32 AM
I thought it unlikely - he was brilliant but erratic and it seemed like he might have a problem bringing his best for big matches. I would have said that he might win a couple of slams at most, but not the dominant player of the past 4 years or so.

So should I still have faith in Gasquet? :p

Procrastination or do your job and then relax?
Favorite meal?
Favorite smilie?
Spelled "smiley" or "smilie"?
Favorite espresso drink?
Your favorite article of clothing in your closet?
Biggest turn-ons/turn-offs in a potential partner, physical and otherwise?

Henry Chinaski
12-07-2008, 05:07 AM
random thread to ask this in......but where in the fuck did J'Torian go?

Action Jackson
12-07-2008, 05:12 AM
random thread to ask this in......but where in the fuck did J'Torian go?

He changed his name to Verd.

scoobs
12-07-2008, 11:33 AM
So should I still have faith in Gasquet? :p
You should always have faith in the players you like. I would point out though, that by where Gasquet is now, Federer had already won a Grand Slam and was about to assume dominance. Gasquet's running a little late if he's going to follow that trend. But he could have a breakthrough still, I just doubt it a bit because he's a different personality type and I don't see the same competitive fire within him. Just my view.

Procrastination or do your job and then relax?
I'm sold on the merits of doing your job then relaxing - unfortunately, in reality I'm a terrible procrastinator.

Favorite meal?
Tough one. Chicken Pad Thai perhaps.

Favorite smilie?
I'm partial to :rolleyes: and I like :wavey: but I think my favourite is the classic :D - I do have a soft spot for the now famous :sad: :confused: combination though.

Spelled "smiley" or "smilie"?
Smiley

Favorite espresso drink?
Macchiato.

Your favorite article of clothing in your closet?
My big warm thick coat - which is getting a lot of use this winter already.

Biggest turn-ons/turn-offs in a potential partner, physical and otherwise?
I tend to notice the ass and the eyes, physically - I can forgive a lot of other stuff I don't like for a pair of gorgeous eyes and a cracking ass. And I think mental curiosity and ability to laugh at themselves appeal to me in personalities. I find pretentious fashion victim hairstyles a bit of a turnoff, and I a major dealbreaker for me is a poor or non-existent sense of humour. If you can't laugh at yourself, at me, and at the world, we will not get along. My sense of humour is pungent and often in bad taste. I need people who can live with that, or better yet, match me at it.

Stensland
12-07-2008, 11:45 AM
You should always have faith in the players you like. I would point out though, that by where Gasquet is now, Federer had already won a Grand Slam and was about to assume dominance. Gasquet's running a little late if he's going to follow that trend. But he could have a breakthrough still, I just doubt it a bit because he's a different personality type and I don't see the same competitive fire within him. Just my view.

so where is he going to be rankings-wise at the end of 09? did he peak in 07?

and what do you make of monfils' chances to follow in tsonga's, gasquet's and simon's footsteps and enter the top ten in the near future?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
so where is he going to be rankings-wise at the end of 09? did he peak in 07?
I think he can perhaps have another good year or two, maybe get back up to 6, 7 or 8 in the rankings - a couple of very strong results will do that these days, with so little gap in points between a lot of players. But he started 2008 at 8 and ended down at 24. And there's not much of a clear reason why - he's had a few injuries but nothing that's kept him out for more than a couple of weeks.

I know a lot of Gasquet's fans will argue fiercely with this assessment, but I see Gasquet's career as being defined by fear and expectation. I see the way he almost has a horror of playing at Roland Garros, and how difficult he finds it to live up to the expectations of the French public - the pressure of being at the top of the game. Whenever he seems to take a step forward, something seems to happen to push him backward again - he fights back and get to the semis of Wimbledon, he deals with the pressure of playing against the French public in Paris to get to the semis and qualify for the masters cup, where he doesn't disgrace himself - so he seems set for a decent 2008, and instead he goes into full reverse - seems to refuse to play the Davis Cup match for his team, talks about the pressure and how he's struggling to deal with playing, has lost motivation, ends up changing his coaching setup...it just seems to me like, on some level, he doesn't want greater success because of the increased expectations and pressures that come with it. He has the game but whenever it seems like that that breaks out and he might start to achieve his potential, he finds a way to sabotage it.

and what do you make of monfils' chances to follow in tsonga's, gasquet's and simon's footsteps and enter the top ten in the near future?

Monfils might hit the top 10 for a while but I see him as the sort of player who will bounce around from about 11 - 40 - he can go through weird swings of good results and awful ones. I'm still not convinced he really knows or believes in what his coaches are telling him about what's best to do with his game to get the best results, although Roger Rasheed stands as good a chance as anyone. I think Monfils likes to play this defensive, miles-behind-the-baseline game and sooner or later reverts to it. It will be interesting to see whether a coach like Rasheed is able to convert him permanently to the wisdom of more attack. Will also be interesting to see if his coaching setup stays a bit more stable after all the chaos of the last 12 months or so.

Stensland
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
great stuff, thanks.

alfonsojose
12-07-2008, 01:46 PM
favorite lube?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
favorite lube?
I tend to go for the classic KY or the warming version for a bit of extra stimulus fun. The silicon-based stuff is good too.

Stensland
12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
ouch. :o not that personal, please. this is strictly personal.

i'm too uptight for stuff like that.

scoobs
12-07-2008, 02:06 PM

*grins*

I'm not the retiring type - people can ask me pretty much anything.

alfonsojose
12-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Too tight. Let it loose. Need help :angel: ?

Stensland
12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
yeah, given that these threads are made for "anything goes" questions, i'm ruling myself out. :D why would i wanna tell people i don't know about my favorite sex toy or anything like that?

Stensland
12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Too tight. Let it loose. Need help :angel: ?

i can't believe you're 33, you're acting on these boards like an ever-horny teen sex-addict. you should have yourself checked sooner than later.

alfonsojose
12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
i can't believe you're 33, you're acting on these boards like an ever-horny teen sex-addict. you should have yourself checked sooner than later.
I'm horny :shrug: :sad:

alfonsojose
12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
yeah, given that these threads are made for "anything goes" questions, i'm ruling myself out. :D why would i wanna tell people i don't know about my favorite sex toy or anything like that?

You have a toy :eek: :yeah:

alfonsojose
12-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Ok ,ok. I'm not going to derail this one. Sorry, Scoobs.
SQLServer or Oracle?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I tend to look at it - why shouldn't I, if they're interested for some reason. Not like I'm ashamed of anything. I'm a bit of an open book.

scoobs
12-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Ok ,ok. I'm not going to derail this one. Sorry, Scoobs.
SQLServer or Oracle?
I've worked with Oracle in the past - I think it's a good database. I work with SQL Server now, and I like it - I think the toolset is better to use though.

alfonsojose
12-07-2008, 02:19 PM
ok, Six years with a partner , :bowdown: It has been always a close relationship or you guys have been through those infamous "open" stages?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
ok, Sis years with a partner , :bowdown: It has been always a close relationship or you guys have been through those infamous "open" stages?
No we're not an open relationship. I don't think there's a lot of urge from either of us to do open things up - I like to look but I'm okay with not touching :)

~*BGT*~
12-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I know a lot of Gasquet's fans will argue fiercely with this assessment, but I see Gasquet's career as being defined by fear and expectation. I see the way he almost has a horror of playing at Roland Garros, and how difficult he finds it to live up to the expectations of the French public - the pressure of being at the top of the game. Whenever he seems to take a step forward, something seems to happen to push him backward again - he fights back and get to the semis of Wimbledon, he deals with the pressure of playing against the French public in Paris to get to the semis and qualify for the masters cup, where he doesn't disgrace himself - so he seems set for a decent 2008, and instead he goes into full reverse - seems to refuse to play the Davis Cup match for his team, talks about the pressure and how he's struggling to deal with playing, has lost motivation, ends up changing his coaching setup...it just seems to me like, on some level, he doesn't want greater success because of the increased expectations and pressures that come with it. He has the game but whenever it seems like that that breaks out and he might start to achieve his potential, he finds a way to sabotage it.

We don't disagree at all actually. It's our biggest excuse for him. :lol:
What do you look like physically?
Do you want children one day?
Do you want to adopt or use a surrogate?
If you adobt, will you go for a local child or look to a third world country a la Brangelina or Madonna?
Britney Spears or Madonna?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
We don't disagree at all actually. It's our biggest excuse for him. :lol:
What do you look like physically?

Umm - hold on.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/3082612376_fa43dbb892_m.jpg

I look like that. I'm only small. 5'8. I have a big gob, though. And yes, I picked one of the few photos I like of me. I don't like how I look in photos most of the time.

Do you want children one day?
I do get a little bit...maternal at times but the answer is, the vast majority of the time, no. I have no desire to bring children into the world - I think other people are doing enough of that as it is. And, if I'm brutally honest, I think I'm a bit too selfish to be a good parent. I like my life, you see - I like working from home most of the time, and going out when I want to, spending time with my fella when I like and having time on my own - I like time on my own, I'm a bit of a loner at times. I like my obsessive interest in tennis and I don't really want to change the balance of my life significantly - I'm fairly content with it. But still, on those odd occasions, when I see people with a little baby and I think of how much of an adventure it must be to raise one...I do wonder a little... :)

Do you want to adopt or use a surrogate?
If I were ever to do it, I'd want to adopt, for the reason I mentioned above.

If you adopt, will you go for a local child or look to a third world country a la Brangelina or Madonna?
If I were to adopt, I would start as locally as I can. I don't think it's necessarily very responsible to rip a child out of their home environment for your own personal convenience. I do wonder if it could cause problems of alienation and dislocation for the child.

Britney Spears or Madonna?
Madonna - not to say I don't find her a bit tiresome at times but she's never lost her self-control like Britney has, which I think...if you're gonna play the celebrity game, don't ever Britney yourself. That girl was a shocking mess for a while there. Madge can be a bit of a ruthless bitch, I think, but if she's showing off her ladyparts in public it's because she's publishing them in a book, not because she got papped getting out of a car going commando with a graceless dismount.

~*BGT*~
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Harry Potter or Twilight or Narnia?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Harry Potter or Twilight or Narnia?

Narnia, then Harry Potter - never read Twilight.

~*BGT*~
12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Don't read or watch Narnia so I'll ask you about Harry Potter, mainly because I'm watching an all day marathon on TV. :lol:

Favorite book?
Favorite movie?
Favorite book character?
Favorite movie character?
Did you like the ending to Deathly Hallows?
Did you correctly guess who the Half Blood Prince was just like I did? :banana:

scoobs
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Don't read or watch Narnia so I'll ask you about Harry Potter, mainly because I'm watching an all day marathon on TV. :lol:

Favorite book?
Favorite movie?
I've only seen one of the movies, I've read the books. My favourite book was the last one, I think - just cos by that time I was desperate to know what happened.

Favorite book character?
Dumbledore - liked the combination of wisdom and sense of humour.

Favorite movie character?
I loved Dolores Umbridge, as played by Imelda Staunton. Deliciously nasty.

Did you like the ending to Deathly Hallows?
I thought it was too abbreviated - I was happy with all the present stuff turned out but I would have liked a thorough examination of the aftermath. It felt like they spent 11 hours 59 minutes telling the story and left 1 minute to deal with what happened next.

Did you correctly guess who the Half Blood Prince was just like I did? :banana:

No, my guesswork, was, as always, terrible :)

Bibberz
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Where were you during the 7/7 bombings?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Where were you during the 7/7 bombings?
I was at home, in London - near to Oval tube station, one of the stations they attempted to bomb in the failed attacks on 7/21. My boyf had headed into work though, on the tube, and was out of contact for a couple of hours, so it was a bit of a scary time.

I remember feeling very angry and defiant about the whole thing. I read a comment online that summed up my position perfectly - contemptuousness. "We've been bombed by a better class of bastard than this."

I was back on the tube 2 days later, albeit a little bit nervously.

Stensland
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
do you go by car in london at all?

what do you think about paul gascoigne?

do you watch tennis on online streams as well or do you think the quality of the streams is too shitty?

what's the most you ever paid for a ticket for a tennis tournament?

do you think rafa will ever speak better english than he does now? i'm just asking because i don't really see that much improvement over the course of the last 12 months, he doesn't seem to care that much.

and do you think players should be *forced* to speak english with the media, or at least have to sign some sort of agreement for cooperation? aimed at the nalbandians on this planet obviously... ;)

scoobs
12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
do you go by car in london at all?
No. I can get everywhere I need to by tube or bus. I can drive but I no longer own a car.

what do you think about paul gascoigne?
Another mess who can't handle being famous.

do you watch tennis on online streams as well do you think the quality of the streams is too shitty?
I watch a lot of online streams - tv coverage in the UK is good comparatively speaking but I need more tennis than that. The official streams aren't too bad but they could be better. As long as I can see ball and court and players, I'm happy enough though :)

what's the most you ever paid for a ticket for a tennis tournament?
about £60 when I went to Queens once.

do you think rafa will ever speak better english than he does now? i'm just asking because i don't really see that much improvement over the course of the last 12 months, he doesn't seem to care that much.
I think he'll get slightly better in time, but he can express himself reasonably well now so that's fair enough.

and do you think players should be *forced* to speak english with the media, or at least have to sign some sort of agreement for cooperation? aimed at the nalbandians on this planet obviously... ;)
No, I don't think there's any need - Nalbandian being tactiturn is part of his personality. Even when they do speak good English and do interviews to the media, how many of them actually say anything interesting anyway?

Stensland
12-07-2008, 10:12 PM
do you actually feel the pinch of the recession in britain, like dropping wages for your it work, less orders, lower rent etc. or did/does everything pretty much stay the same?

what's your surprise ao finalist next year if you had to pick one?

why do you support gonzalez?

what percentage of your support for rochus is pity-support? don't mean to be offending but i know a girl in my apartment block who supports him, too, but mainly because she's pitying him, fighting against all those big guys, being just such a tiny player... be honest. ;)

I watch a lot of online streams - tv coverage in the UK is good comparatively speaking but I need more tennis than that. The official streams aren't too bad but they could be better.

i take it you watch the atpmastersseries tv? annual pass?

NinaNina19
12-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Hottest female tennis player?

scoobs
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
do you actually feel the pinch of the recession in britain, like dropping wages for your it work, less orders, lower rent etc. or did/does everything pretty much stay the same?

Well both me and my fella are in jobs so we're not doing too badly - but we've certainly noticed all the bills going up as inflation went a bit mad. And you can't miss all the doom and gloom news - it's made us feel like we don't want to spend any money at the moment. A scaled back Christmas is on the horizon.

what's your surprise ao finalist next year if you had to pick one?
Del Potro or Verdasco.

why do you support gonzalez?
I just think he's fun - I love the way he can play so brainlessly with that forehand, going for absolute Howitzer shots with it - and sometimes making them. It's second-level support though. He's fun. Except when he touches the ball with his racquet then plays innocent. Don't much like that.

what percentage of your support for rochus is pity-support? don't mean to be offending but i know a girl in my apartment block who supports him, too, but mainly because she's pitying him, fighting against all those big guys, being just such a tiny player... be honest. ;)

It's not pity - I do like the way he's able to go toe to toe with the bigger guys, but I like his shotmaking - because he's from a lower base the trajectory of the shots is a bit different, and he can get some pop on them too, flinging his whole body into them. I like his matches against Federer - he does give him a handful at times. Ollie's not doing so well lately though, he's not had a good 08 :(

i take it you watch the atpmastersseries tv? annual pass?

Yeah and I'll subscribe to the new service for 09 that's doing the 1000s and 500s on livestream.

NinaNina19
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
You didn't answer my question.

scoobs
12-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Hottest female tennis player?

Strange question to ask a bumchum but, in my opinion, Sania Mirza and Maria Kirilenko are both very attractive young ladies.

~*BGT*~
12-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Who taps your 'dar on the ATP tour?

scoobs
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Who taps your 'dar on the ATP tour?
I think I'd have to actually see players off-court and see what they're like when they're just talking to someone in a normal situation to be able to tell. Can't really get any impressions from just looking and watching them play tennis.

Cos I might well have said Gasquet just based off that, but from the testimony provided to me by others who have seen him in more social settings, he is definitely straight, and not very subtle when ladies with assets are around :)

habibko
12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
hi scoobs, nice to have an opportunity to ask such a respected and endearing personality on MTF, I hope you aren't sick of questions already I know how it gets after a while (I'm a moderator in other Arabic Anime forums and when I was under spotlight I was so tired after a dozen of pages :sad:) but never mind me! it's your turn :devil: :

1)what do you prefer to be called on the net and/or in real life?

2)define your character in 1 word?

3)define your character in 3 words?

4)if you have been given the chance, would you have chose to be born and experience life or not?

5)other sports you are interested in beside Tennis?

6)your sports idol?

7)tennis idol?

8)life idol?

9)do you believe in God? if you do, what's your religion? if you don't, what's your philosophy in life?

10)do you handle your schedule well or are you a mess (like me :p) ?

11)do you remember the first word you have ever typed on a keyboard? what is it?

12)do you play video games? whats your favorite game?

13)tell us something new you learned today or within this week?

14)have you set goals to your life yet? feel free to share

15)what's your vision of the future of MTF after 10 years?

16)an MTF member you would like to spend some time with in real life?

17)how many times have you fallen in love in your life?

18)whats the most agonizing feeling you have experienced up to date?

19)what do you like to do in your spare time?

20)favorite drink?

21)cookies or waffles?

22)beer or coke?

23)do you consider yourself attractive?

24)when was the last time you cried?

25)when do you scream: "ENOUGH!" ?

this is my first humble set of Qs, I'm sorry if they are too personal you can refuse to answer as you like ;) have a nice day :wavey:

adee-gee
12-08-2008, 12:55 PM
1) Do you think the above poster was taking the piss with the amount of questions?

2) Do you take criticism of your moderating to heart? Have you ever considered chucking it in and suggesting me as a replacement?

3) Do you find it wrong that I won't be made a mod because of my obvious bias for Rafa, whereas you got the position despite a deep and somewhat unknown amount of Fedtardism?

4) You complain about your partner a lot, and seem to have good taste in women....have you ever though about switching sides?

5) How much would I have to pay you for you to wear my famous shorts for a day?

6) Why is wacked82 bumping all these old threads?

scoobs
12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
hi scoobs, nice to have an opportunity to ask such a respected and endearing personality on MTF, I hope you aren't sick of questions already I know how it gets after a while (I'm a moderator in other Arabic Anime forums and when I was under spotlight I was so tired after a dozen of pages :sad:) but never mind me! it's your turn :devil: :

1)what do you prefer to be called on the net and/or in real life?
I like to be called Chris. Online, Scoobs is fine, but Chris is good. Some people who knew me online before offline call me Scoobs from time to time, which is a bit weird but I'm okay with it :)

2)define your character in 1 word?
resilient

3)define your character in 3 words?
resilient, independent, undemanding

4)if you have been given the chance, would you have chose to be born and experience life or not?
hard to say - sort of a chicken and egg situation - where would I be when making that choice - some other life? Some other form of life? I think, on the whole, yes. But that based on only knowing life in this form - for all I know there might be better forms of before-life or after-life that I am not aware of right now and which might be preferable to what we call life. I like living though, most of the time. It's a bit of a hard question without getting metaphysical, philosophical and so on :)

5)other sports you are interested in beside Tennis?
None really - I watched some badminton, track and field and gymnastics at the Olympics, but Tennis is the only sport I follow with a day in day out sort of intensity.

6)your sports idol?
I guess Roger Federer. I wouldn't say he's an "idol", per se, and he's by no means perfect, but I think overall, he handles himself pretty well - hardly anybody has a bad word to say about him, and considering where he is and what he's been able to do, that's pretty remarkable. He's respected for who is not just what he's done and that's what I admire.

7)tennis idol?
Roger - for the reasons above.

8)life idol?
In some ways my mum, for the reasons I talked about earlier in this thread about how she raised us and had struggles doing so

Beyond that, I don't really know. I'm not really someone who believes in idolising people - if I were to meet, say, Roger Federer, I wouldn't be bowing and scraping - I'd interact with him as one human being to another, I'd want to actually converse with him, not fawn all over him. There are people in the public eye who I admire for one reason or another but I don't want to be like them. They're them and I'm me, and I want to be the best me I can be.

9)do you believe in God? if you do, what's your religion? if you don't, what's your philosophy in life?
I don't believe in God. Sometimes I wish I did - it would be nice, sometimes, to look around at all the sad crap that human beings do to each other in the world and say "it's all God's plan, we see through a glass, darkly" and all that. But I don't. My philosophy for life, if it can be called anything as grand as all that, is to try to be happy, but not at the expense of hurting others. Helping others if and when I can, trying to be a nice person, a caring person, trying to become a better person. I believe if you can have a positive impact on the lives of the people you care about or spend time with, if you're not just sucking up air, wasting resources and being a complete drag on the planet, then that's the best any of us can do. Be happy, try to make others happy, try to do what you can to solve the problems of the world, in your own little way.

10)do you handle your schedule well or are you a mess (like me :p) ?
I'm not too bad with my schedule - I do procrastinate but I rarely deliver things late or badly. I'm a bit undisciplined but when crunch time comes I'm able to focus very well and deliver. I keep on top of things to do with day to day living pretty well.

11)do you remember the first word you have ever typed on a keyboard? what is it?
I dare say it was on my Grandmother's ZX Spectrum computer in the 1980s - no doubt trying to load a computer game. So it would have been Load "" and then <Enter> :D

12)do you play video games? whats your favorite game?
I do, though not very often. I used to love games on the ZX spectrum and them migrated up to Nintendo, Super Nintendo and the PC. But I found that in a lot of cases, as graphics became more complex, basic entertaining gameplay diminished.

At the moment I'm playing Civilization IV and I'm getting Spore for Christmans and hopefully a new Sim City style game will be along soon - simulation/management games seem to be what I enjoy most these days.

13)tell us something new you learned today or within this week?
I learned that Winston Churchill used to represent the place I was born, Oldham, when he was first elected to Parliament in 1900. I'm currently reading a very good biography of him. I find the image of Churchill, a very aristocratic figure, representing Oldham, a northern England working class town that had at the time a thriving cotton industry, a strange one :)

14)have you set goals to your life yet? feel free to share
I'd like to visit all four of the Grand Slams at least once - preferably in the same year, though that's very unlikely to happen. I'd like to travel more widely, visiting some parts of South America, Japan, China, and go back to Australia. I'd like to travel very widely but I'm unlikely to go to some parts of the world because of their treatment of the homosexual population.

15)what's your vision of the future of MTF after 10 years?
Ha. Lord knows :) I don't see it being massively different, to be honest. I don't think it's massively different compared to 2002 beyond cosmetic changes, though I could be wrong. It doesn't seem much different to 2005 when I first signed up. Hopefully there's a bit more tennis discussion happening then :)

16)an MTF member you would like to spend some time with in real life?
There are some members I'd be interested in at least meeting to see whether their online characters bore much resemblance to their personal ones. In no particular order - Kitty de Sade, Fee, Jayjay, GlennMirnyi, Adeegee, P.Antonius, Verd, these are the ones that spring to mind - there's no doubt tons of others whose names I can't think of off the top of my head - I like meeting people

17)how many times have you fallen in love in your life?
Twice. The first time I wasn't sure it was love until I lost it. The second time, I'm still with him.

18)whats the most agonizing feeling you have experienced up to date?
When my first love broke it off after several months...that was rough. I was very confused, very down about it for a while. It took me a while to work through all that and come to a point where I could accept it emotionally and move on...at which point I very quickly met my second love. A different kind of agonizing was the day the 7/7 attacks happened in London and my bf had gone into work on the tube as normal. For a couple of hours he was out of touch and I was very concerned - knowing his usual movements, it seemed a bit unlikely he would be directly affected but even so...it was a difficult couple of hours. And I think a different kind again was when my grandmother died - she had bowel cancer and it took her away inch by inch - she was in a lot of pain, heavily medicated, and her digestive system had turned against her and was killing her - she couldn't even keep water down and...well...I don't want to get too graphic, but she was cared for at home at the end and...the end of life is never a pretty thing, especially when your body is disintegrating. The indignity of it was horrifying. It went on for a couple of weeks. The misery of her passing but the perverse feeling of wishing it would just happen to put her out of the suffering was a kind of agony that is very hard to experience. I try to not remember her from that time, I only think about her in happier times. She didn't deserve to go like that, I don't think anyone does.

19)what do you like to do in your spare time?
I watch a looooooot of tennis :) Read about it, talk about, collect matches that I enjoyed or are significant. I'm a total hoarder - I'd always be collecting *something* even if it wasn't tennis. I'm the sort of person who can't buy one DVD in a set unless I intend, at some point, to get them all. I also listen to music, read fiction and non-fiction, and I go out with friends from time to time, though more for coffee or a meal or some wine and some conversation. I used to like going out to nightclubs and cutting a path on the dancefloor but that urge drifted away from me at some point.

20)favorite drink?
diet coke and tea.

21)cookies or waffles?
cookies

22)beer or coke?
coke. I don't like beer much at all - I can only stomach it, if it's got something else in it, like lime or lemonade.

23)do you consider yourself attractive?
Not particularly, but it's not something I worry about too much. People can make of me what they will, there are very very few people whose opinions of me I truly care about and have the capacity to hurt me.

24)when was the last time you cried?
Yesterday. I'm a complete wuss and it's not that hard to set me off. I was listening to a piece of music that made me feel sad and off I went. I don't mind crying when my emotions are moved that way. I think it's a good thing to let things like that out, not bottle up emotions.

25)when do you scream: "ENOUGH!" ?
The only time I really get like that is if I'm in the middle of a major row with my man. Like most partners do, he knows just how to wind me up (no I'm not telling). Very few people can make me red hot angry, but when they do I have a hell of a temper. I try to avoid things getting to that stage. I'm quite an impatient person but I'm a lot better than I used to be - I've had to learn some patience :)

Most things in life, good or bad, I just get on with it. I don't waste a lot of energy or emotion getting furious about things that I have no control over. I just make the best of it that I can and quietly get on with life.

this is my first humble set of Qs, I'm sorry if they are too personal you can refuse to answer as you like ;) have a nice day :wavey:

No problem :)

scoobs
12-08-2008, 02:37 PM
1) Do you think the above poster was taking the piss with the amount of questions?
No, not really. People are curious, it doesn't worry me. I can always refuse to answer.

2) Do you take criticism of your moderating to heart? Have you ever considered chucking it in and suggesting me as a replacement?
No I don't. If my fellow mods think I have made a bad decision I'll take that on board and try to learn from it. If posters offer constructive criticism of something I've done, I'll try to take it on board. People making personal attacks on me, or snide remarks, or dropping unsubtle hints - I don't pay any attention. I haven't considered chucking it in, no, so suggesting you as a replacement has not come up so far :)

3) Do you find it wrong that I won't be made a mod because of my obvious bias for Rafa, whereas you got the position despite a deep and somewhat unknown amount of Fedtardism?
If you won't be a mod, I doubt that's the reason for it. ;)

4) You complain about your partner a lot, and seem to have good taste in women....have you ever though about switching sides?
I love my partner. Yes, he annoys me sometimes :) I couldn't switch sides even if I wanted to, which I don't. I like the male frontal arrangement :shrug: I don't think I'd switch sides even if it were somehow possible.

5) How much would I have to pay you for you to wear my famous shorts for a day?
Kinky. Erm, I would charge you a nominal fee for the cost to me in embarrassment, which would depend upon the value of pound sterling at the time. Assuming I could fit into them.

6) Why is wacked82 bumping all these old threads?
Off-season boredom, I shouldn't wonder. People are starting to reach the "abandon all hope" phase as the next 3 1/2 weeks stretch endlessly ahead of them...

~*BGT*~
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I think I'd have to actually see players off-court and see what they're like when they're just talking to someone in a normal situation to be able to tell. Can't really get any impressions from just looking and watching them play tennis.

Cos I might well have said Gasquet just based off that, but from the testimony provided to me by others who have seen him in more social settings, he is definitely straight, and not very subtle when ladies with assets are around :)

So I know how to dress the next time I see him. ;) I definitely have the assets. :p

scoobs
12-09-2008, 12:08 AM
So I know how to dress the next time I see him. ;) I definitely have the assets. :p
Indeed? Well yeah, something lowcut, make sure the dumplings are on the menu, and wave them under his face.

Who knows where it might lead.

Voo de Mar
12-09-2008, 12:21 AM
What do you think: a player from which country will be the best in the next decade?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 12:24 AM
A tough question. perhaps Australia or Russia. Both seem to have some promising teenagers and younger kids.

Clara Bow
12-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Hi. :D

Who is your favorite member of Parliament- and why?

How do you view race/ethnic relations in London? Are there any differences that struck you when you visited New York and Paris?

Did you ever shoplift when you were young?

Cheesy question- if you had to lose either your sight or hearing, which would it be?

Aloimeh
12-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Have you ever felt attracted sexually to a woman? If so, have you considered the possibility that you could be a latent heterosexual? If not, do you feel that homosexual men are better qualified to "objectively" assess a woman's attractiveness (hence the excellence of many gay men in woman-centered fields such as fashion, hair care, beauty products, etc.) than heterosexual men?

NinaNina19
12-09-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm really sorry about my hottest female tennis player question, I didn't know you didn't like girls :lol: . I hope I didn't offend you.

NinaNina19
12-09-2008, 04:41 AM
What's your favorite thing about Christmas?
Where will you spend it this year?
What do you hope happens at AO 2009?

~*BGT*~
12-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Indeed? Well yeah, something lowcut, make sure the dumplings are on the menu, and wave them under his face.

Who knows where it might lead.

:lol: All natural too. :p

Favorite actor in the Ocean's series? I love Matt Damon
Have you or do you know anyone personally who's had to deal with addiction?
Were you a mama's boy or a daddy's boy?
Favorite retired tennis player, male and female

Stensland
12-09-2008, 12:46 PM
were you rather a math guy at school or rather a languages guy?

do you think korolev is any good? i've watched him live two times in the tennis bundesliga over here and he impressed me, but whenever i check his results on the tour, he's playing like a joke.

is ricky gervais the funniest guy ever?

is petzschner here to stay or is he going to be a one-hit wonder?

do you believe sampras should give it a go at wimby next year, just for fun? and if he did, how deep could he go into the tournament, given an alright draw?

what's your favorite tennis commentator? goodall?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi. :D

Who is your favorite member of Parliament- and why?
I don't know that I have one favourite member of Parliament. I like Bob Marshall Andrews for being a trenchant critic of the Government of his own party. I like Vince Cable of the Liberal Democrats for his down-to-earth approach to economics and sense of humour. I like Ken Clark of the Tories for being the sort of Tory that I do like - amusing, not doctrinaire, and not afraid to work across party lines.

How do you view race/ethnic relations in London? Are there any differences that struck you when you visited New York and Paris?
I think race relations are fairly frozen in London in many ways - there are pockets and communities of ethnic groupings who keep to themselves and don't really mix in a social way with others. I don't think we have a lot of interracial violence but I am not sure that there's much integration going on either.

I can't say as I have noticed or thought much about what my personal experiences of other cities were from this viewpoint, though I do remember of course the news reports a couple of years ago when there were a lot of troubles in Paris banlieus. It's been a long time since we've had similar racial unrest here but that's not to say it's out of the question, if the right flashpoint came along. I very much hope it doesn't. In the meantime, I feel our Govt has to work harder to ensure enclaves of ethnic groupings do not feel forgotten and alienated from our society.

Did you ever shoplift when you were young?
Once. Just some candy. I felt so guilty that I told my mum, was punished, and never did it again. I think they'll want my Rebel Without a Cause license back now :)

Cheesy question- if you had to lose either your sight or hearing, which would it be?
Hearing, I think. Although losing the ability to listen to music would be very painful. I think I would struggle to adjust more to a loss of sight, though.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Have you ever felt attracted sexually to a woman? If so, have you considered the possibility that you could be a latent heterosexual? If not, do you feel that homosexual men are better qualified to "objectively" assess a woman's attractiveness (hence the excellence of many gay men in woman-centered fields such as fashion, hair care, beauty products, etc.) than heterosexual men?

Sexually attracted? No. I find some women very beautiful and admire them very much from an aesthetic point of view. But it doesn't feelings of desire in me at all.

I have considered if I might be a latent heterosexual and it's just very very deep down, but I think, you know, it would start to manifest itself sooner or later if that were the case. I'm not getting any younger.

I don't think there's any point or reason to try to objectively assess a woman's attractiveness - attraction is an individual thing that is brought about through personal tastes. As for the female beauty industry, I'm not sure why it pulls in a lot of homosexual men - perhaps the way some homosexuals are wired up gives them characteristics and interests that tend to these things, but I really don't know, to be honest - I know plenty of homosexuals who scorn beauty products, love football and have interests that mean many people would think they are straight.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm really sorry about my hottest female tennis player question, I didn't know you didn't like girls :lol: . I hope I didn't offend you.

I'm not very easily offended at all :) :hug:

scoobs
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
What's your favorite thing about Christmas?
Where will you spend it this year?
What do you hope happens at AO 2009?

These days, my favourite thing is the time off work and the chance to see some friends. I'll be staying in London as my parents are over in Spain.

Well I hope Andy Murray can lift his first Grand Slam title - that would be nice :) He's in the middle of a brutal training cycle at the moment so I'd love to see some early payoff for that.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
:lol: All natural too. :p

[quote=~*BGT*~;7893393]Favorite actor in the Ocean's series? I love Matt Damon
Yeah I have a big mancrush on Matt Damon, too - he's lovely. Out of the Ocean's lot, he's the one I'd take, first choice.

Have you or do you know anyone personally who's had to deal with addiction?
My father is an alcoholic and he's not dealing with it - he's getting on with it. He and my mother divorced when I was quite young and he's a mess, frankly - and he doesn't want to be helped. Life without the bottle is, for him, life not worth living - and you can't fix people yourself though your own good intentions. They have to want it too. When I refer to my parents these days I almost inevitably believe my mother and stepfather. I don't have much interaction with my father since my grandmother, his mother, died about 5 years ago. I loved her very much and it gave me and my sister and my father a reason to spend time together. Since she's been gone that reason no longer exists. He was not a good father who disappointed even low expectations of him - he didn't even send me good wishes on my 18th birthday when he lives about a quarter of a mile away from me. I stopped having much time for him at all at that point. He lives life the way he chooses and I don't get involved anymore.

Most of my family as smoked at one time or another - I managed to avoid that, which I am very grateful for, as I have watched them all struggle to break free of it. Most of them did though and are now ex-smokers.

My brother has also been involved in drugs when he was younger, though I don't know how addicted he became, if at all.

Were you a mama's boy or a daddy's boy?
I was a mama's boy, mainly because she was the only parent around at key stages of my childhood.

Favorite retired tennis player, male and female
Retired male would be Sampras, although at times I found the serve-dominated 90s game a bit of a bore. Favourite female was Graf. Loved that combo of the vicious sliced backhand and booming forehand :)

Stensland
12-09-2008, 03:26 PM
have you ever come across someone who went outright "ewwwww" (or something like that) in a very blatant way when he noticed that you're gay?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
were you rather a math guy at school or rather a languages guy?
Both! I studied French and German at school along with Math and then continued French and Math at college. I enjoyed both subjects immensely although it's probably math I miss the most.

do you think korolev is any good? i've watched him live two times in the tennis bundesliga over here and he impressed me, but whenever i check his results on the tour, he's playing like a joke.
I think he could be pretty good but it seems like he doesn't know how to get the best out of his game at this point - I wonder if he's overtrying sometimes in big matches rather than letting it flow. Or maybe he's the type of player who can't ever bring it in the big matches. Not sure about this one yet.

is ricky gervais the funniest guy ever?
I think he's very clever but I find him amusing some of the time, rather than utterly hilarious all the time. I don't know - I almost find there's a sort of self-importance about his humour, like it's in danger of being so clever it crawls up its own ass.

is petzschner here to stay or is he going to be a one-hit wonder?
I'm not sure about him yet - wondering if he can become more consistent at a higher level or if he's going to do a Ben Becker bounce up, have some good results, then drop down again, and maybe yoyo around a bit. I haven't seen enough of him in matches to know, really...

do you believe sampras should give it a go at wimby next year, just for fun? and if he did, how deep could he go into the tournament, given an alright draw?
My view is that it's best for Pete to stay retired and quench his competitive thirsts by playing the odd Champions Series tournament. I think any comeback would be gimmicky and he doesn't strike me as the gimmicky kind. Either he'd lose embarrassingly early or he'd go pretty deep and that would be kinda embarrassing for the ATP. Best left alone, I'd say :)

what's your favorite tennis commentator? goodall?
Goodall together with Koenig make me laugh - Goodall on his own not so much. I like Mark Petchey who works for Sky, and David Mercer who does BBC at Wimbledon and Eurosport the rest of the time too.

Clydey
12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
These days, my favourite thing is the time off work and the chance to see some friends. I'll be staying in London as my parents are over in Spain.

Well I hope Andy Murray can lift his first Grand Slam title - that would be nice :) He's in the middle of a brutal training cycle at the moment so I'd love to see some early payoff for that.

Glad I'm not the only one reading the AM.com blogs :o

scoobs
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
have you ever come across someone who went outright "ewwwww" (or something like that) in a very blatant way when he noticed that you're gay?
I don't think so, no - not that blatant or rude.

I think I'd just laugh if someone did that now.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah...sounds like torture to me what he's putting himself through. He must be very motivated. He'll be glad to get back on the tour for a rest.

Clydey
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah...sounds like torture to me what he's putting himself through. He must be very motivated. He'll be glad to get back on the tour for a rest.

I don't much fancy the track work he's doing. That would kill me. He started training for the new season early, too. It's good to see and hopefully it'll pay off at the AO.

Stensland
12-09-2008, 03:48 PM
what do you think keeps big countries like canada or brazil from producing top players?

will you try to get tickets for the london olympics tennis tournament?

why is the ass clown contest such a big deal on mtf?

when you go to a tournament, do you just watch the matches or try to catch a bit of the practise session of the players as well?

does anyone in britain really like rusedski?

do you think players should keep bowing to the queen at wimby?

is rafa ever going to consider dumping uncle toni? should he, just to get some different sort of input?

NinaNina19
12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
How many times have you been to the U.S.?
Do you feel people are more accepting of homosexuals in the U.S. or in Britain (it's probably easily Britain :lol: )?
What is your view on capital punishment?
If Andy Murray could win just one slam in 2009 (and not Wimbledon), which would you want it to be?
Do you think Djokovic will start playing well again?

jayjay
12-09-2008, 03:58 PM
*If I'm right in saying from my brief look at some political threads, you appear to have a very extensive and in-depth knowledge of all the players/issues in US politics, even as far as local issues which wouldn't necessarily impact on world affairs - how is it that you came to be so interested in US politics at that level?

*A little birdy recently told me that you have taken over at Kings of Clay - so this question is broken down into three parts;

(a) Do you feel under intense scrutiny and pressure following on from the person you are following on from?

(b) What were you thinking when you moved the FAQ/Guidelines thread to a part of the board that non-members cannot read, how do you expect potential newbies to familiarise themselves with what the board is like and what additional features it can offer in comparison to the average message board?

(c) I notice you have moved all the Fantasy Tennis stuff to an area where it is effectively "out of sight, out of mind", have you done this to spite me because of what I did to you in Fantasy Tennis 2006?

NinaNina19
12-09-2008, 04:01 PM

I read them :).

scoobs
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
what do you think keeps big countries like canada or brazil from producing top players?
I'm guessing lack of money or structured resources to help with talent identification and player development. I think the key thing is you need to get a lot of kids playing the game young, so there needs to be places for them to do that, that are accessible and affordable. Then you need to have people in place who can spot talent and nurture it. Then you need competitive environments where the kids learn how to win and lose when there's something on the line, so you need tournaments for kids. You need good coaches and you need to be able to keep with them right the way through into juniors and then the transition into the main tour. It's a resource intensive sport.

Countries like the USA show that even if you have most of this in place, you also have to be attracting kids into the game. So it's a tough route for kids to come through to make it pro in a lot of countries. They have to really want it.

will you try to get tickets for the london olympics tennis tournament?
Absolutely. As many days as I can.

why is the ass clown contest such a big deal on mtf?
I just think it's a way of people blowing off steam after a long season, doing their own year in review thing. It needs to walk a fine line though so it doesn't get too offensive or out of hand.

when you go to a tournament, do you just watch the matches or try to catch a bit of the practise session of the players as well?
I try and watch some practice although I'm not an autograph hunter so I don't go for that reason. I tend to like to watch more matches than anything else, interspersed with flitting around the outside courts.

does anyone in britain really like rusedski?
I think some do - I don't mind him for his tennis, though I find his commentary deeply annoying. I think he was embraced, largely because of how severely crap we have been at producing talent that was born and raised in the UK, and if there'd been 2 or 3 more Henmans he would have been snubbed - indeed I doubt he'd have been so opportunistic as to bother. I thought when he first did it, the over-embracing of the British identity thing was a bit nauseating though - the British flag bandanna and so on.

do you think players should keep bowing to the queen at wimby?
The Queen hasn't bothered to attend since her silver jubilee year in 1977 so I don't think it's much of an ongoing concern. They limited the list of royalty who need to be bowed to a couple of years ago, and I don't think any of them are tennis fans. I don't miss that particular tradition of bowing to royalty, though. I'm not an abolitionist of the monarchy but I don't think much of excessive genuflecting toward them either. They're a useful tourist trap and figurehead these days but I'd only bother to keep them for practical reasons like that.

is rafa ever going to consider dumping uncle toni? should he, just to get some different sort of input?
I doubt he will unless there's a major slump and it becomes clear that Toni can't offer a perspective that's likely to help Rafa out of it. I don't think there's any need to do so at this point - together, Toni and Rafa have brought out Rafa's game to get him to world #1, which is an immense achievement. They have to work with what's there - a new coach isn't going to be able to make wholesale changes to Nadal's game, and would understand what Rafa's game is far less. So it doesn't seem like a good idea to me at this point - they might want to consider together adding someone in to consult and offer an outside perspective but I think that's as radical a step as we're going to see on that front.

Clydey
12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I read them :).

Expected.

:D

scoobs
12-09-2008, 04:16 PM
How many times have you been to the U.S.?
Twice - I spent a couple of weeks there in 1998 and a few days in 2000. I've spent most time on the west coast - in LA and Las Vegas. I'd love to do the east coast properly at some point. I swore I wouldn't go back the USA while George W Bush was president so hopefully sometimes next year I can lift my self-imposed embargo :)

Do you feel people are more accepting of homosexuals in the U.S. or in Britain (it's probably easily Britain :lol: )?
In Britain at the moment, for sure. And yet I think in the future that might be reversed. I think Americans, by and large, tend to be undiscriminatory by nature and I'm not so sure that's true of the British. I feel there's a tendency in the UK towards more subtle or unspoken discriminations in our society.

What is your view on capital punishment?
I'm strongly against it. I think it's state sanctioned murder. I don't think any human being, whether a disgusting, depraved criminal or a judge in a courtroom has the moral right to condemn any human being to deliberate involuntary death. Life is cheap enough without the state joining in.

If Andy Murray could win just one slam in 2009 (and not Wimbledon), which would you want it to be?
The US Open - since that's the one dearest to his heart.

Do you think Djokovic will start playing well again?
he kinda already has - he didn't play that great at the Masters Cup but he still won the thing, which is not a bad sign at all. He's too good a player to not be a continuing threat to the top of the game and he's very ambitious and believes he should be there, which is part of the battle. What I'm looking for in 2009 from him is signs he is going to beat the likes of Federer, Nadal, Murray more consistently often - his h2h for 2008 against those three is not good at all.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
*If I'm right in saying from my brief look at some political threads, you appear to have a very extensive and in-depth knowledge of all the players/issues in US politics, even as far as local issues which wouldn't necessarily impact on world affairs - how is it that you came to be so interested in US politics at that level?
US politics fascinates me. Well, politics in general interests me, but US politics interests me more than usual for a couple of reasons. Firstly, over there, they do the thing properly - spending grotesque amounts of money, accusing each other of being liars, terrorists, criminals, illegal aliens....they take the gloves off. Even at its worst UK politics is pretty timid in comparison. They might suggest, that, you know, with the greatest respect to the honourable member, that he might perhaps be guilty of terminological inexactitude, although no doubt accidently.

The US has turned politics into another reality TV show, and one more interesting that I'm a crackpot celebrity, why don't you just shoot me and have done with.

I also like aspects of their more direct democracy - they pick congresspeople, senators and directly elect a president - we just pick a member of parliament and they organise among themselves who is actually going to be taking major decisions on behalf of all of us. Our democracy is in some ways fairly undemocratic.

Finally, there's no doubt that who the US picks to run its country has huge consequences for the world. Ask the Iraqis. I don't get a vote on who they pick, but who they pick will have consequences for us, as our prime ministers are usually self-appointed US President-foreign-asslickers-in-chief. Not to mention their economic management, or mismanagement, goes a long way to deciding whether we're in party mood over here or worrying about our jobs. Since they have so much effect, I like to know who they're going to pick and why. And, being the slightly obsessive person I am, that means I end up knowing the issues and structures and mechanisms of their government pretty well :)

*A little birdy recently told me that you have taken over at Kings of Clay - so this question is broken down into three parts;

(a) Do you feel under intense scrutiny and pressure following on from the person you are following on from?
I don't feel under scrutiny and pressure, no. I'm fairly relaxed about it. I am following a legend so I'm bound to be judged unfavourably.

(b) What were you thinking when you moved the FAQ/Guidelines thread to a part of the board that non-members cannot read, how do you expect potential newbies to familiarise themselves with what the board is like and what additional features it can offer in comparison to the average message board?
It's hopelessly out of date, which is why I moved it. When it's updated fully I'll move it back ready for the new season.

(c) I notice you have moved all the Fantasy Tennis stuff to an area where it is effectively "out of sight, out of mind", have you done this to spite me because of what I did to you in Fantasy Tennis 2006?
I've done it to clean up and keep all those threads together to assist people who want a trip down memory lane. You could argue I'd done you a favour if that's your logic, though, based on the bitch slapping that Krystlel dished out to you two years running - I'd think you'd rather forget as quickly as possible :P

Stensland
12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
this is fun. great interview thread. :)

since you like the american system: don't you think the whole ask-and-respond sessions in the house of commons (?) where the pm has to explain himself time and time again are much more "democratic" than the little amount of direct criticism the president in the united states has to face?

do you think the presidential system is the way to go?

do you believe in centrist countries (france for example) the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

do you think doping is widespread among tennis players? do you think the bad guys are easily outdistancing the guys who come up with testing methods?

i asked this earlier but it seems like you overlooked it: what were your tennis ambitions like when you were young? ever tried to become a pro, did you ever have that goal?

how many chinese players will be in the top 100 in 5 year's time? any?

adee-gee
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
1) How do you feel about the fact you're solely responsible for giving jayjay an overinflated ego about his Fantasy abilities?

2) Which celebrity do you think is gay but hasn't come out yet?

3) Do you play any sports?

4) What is the last DVD you watched?

5) Do you believe in karma?

6) Did you win any awards in school? What grades did you get for A-Level?

7) What's your ringtone on your mobile?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 06:33 PM
this is fun. great interview thread. :)

since you like the american system: don't you think the whole ask-and-respond sessions in the house of commons (?) where the pm has to explain himself time and time again are much more "democratic" than the little amount of direct criticism the president in the united states has to face?

There are aspects of the American system that I like and others that don't - I think the American system of pork barrel politics, lobbying and and excessively politicised judicial branch are not great at all.

The Prime Ministers Questions is a much misunderstood thing. In its modern incarnation it's in many ways a doubly bad thing, since it provides all the appearance of democratic accountability without the reality. Modern PMs spend hours boning up before the PMQ session to guess at what they're likely to be asked and come up with a suitably uninformative, redirective or obfuscatory response, and only leader of the Opposition has any capacity in the format to pursue a line of question and attempt to force a relevant response out of the Prime Minister, which is rarely successful. It's political theatre but as a tool for holding the Executive to account it's woefully lacking. I'd rather a good Congressional or Parliamentary oversight committee with subpoeana power if you really want to hold the Executive up to scrutiny. The punch and judy format of Questions in the House is not the way to do it.

do you think the presidential system is the way to go?
I'm not entirely sure - presidential politics is just as open to personality politics as much as any other system - if not more so. But at least you get direct participation in ensuring the person at the top is democractically chosen by the people. In our system we can only pronounce on our Head of Government indirectly by electing an MP of that party or not - and even then it may be entirely irrelevant because votes for other MPs put the other party in power. Add into that in the UK an entirely unelected second chamber, and the fact that there is no parliamentary scrutiny and confirmation of Cabinet picks, and the result is I don't like the lack of democratic accountability built into our system.

do you believe in centrist countries (france for example) the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
I don't know about "centrist" countries. I tend to think that coalition government leads to better government, if "weaker" in international terms. But in terms of military adventure, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I think broad based coalition government forces politicians to reach a broader consensus and inhibits the ability of a government to go to its extremes. The disadvantages are that coalitions can be quite unstable and at the mercy of kingmaker smaller parties.

This is no perfect democratic political system, unfortunately - they all have their flaws.

do you think doping is widespread among tennis players? do you think the bad guys are easily outdistancing the guys who come up with testing methods?
I don't think it's that widespread, no. In tennis at least, I don't think a lot of products would do you much good, as it's a combination of power, stamina, consistency, control, technique, temperament that make you a good tennis player and something that enhances one may detract in other areas. The only real benefits from doping in tennis I can see are things like EPO to increase red blood cell production and thus oxygen transmission in the blood. But I'm not an expert in this area. You sorta have to hope the doping authorities are routinely testing for EPO etc as part of their testing procedures.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dopers and those who are responsible for producing new types of doping for them are a couple of steps ahead of the authorities. It's like an arms race where both sides are trying to keep ahead of the other so something produced that's effective and not detected or known about doesn't stay that way for very long. All you can do is hope the authorities keep on top of it and do their best to keep up with the cheats.

i asked this earlier but it seems like you overlooked it: what were your tennis ambitions like when you were young? ever tried to become a pro, did you ever have that goal?
I have useless hand-eye coordination and didn't have much access to tennis facilities when I was growing up. When I first tried to play I realised that playing is very very VERY much harder than it looks. I never had any goals to be a pro sportsman of any kind, if I'm honest.

how many chinese players will be in the top 100 in 5 year's time? any?
Perhaps 1, maybe 2? I don't know. They've concentrated on women thus far and the men haven't come along too much. But even the women have hardly taken the game by storm and there have been many years of effort now to get them to this point. I'm just not sure the Chinese system works well with tennis, such an individual sport and I'm not sure you can instill motivation and desire and guts and determination from the outside - I'm not sure how desperate some of their players are to win - for *themselves* - because they HATE to lose, not for their country. I think the most successful tennis players are those where that deep motivation comes from within them and is only helped by a coaching system. It's not enough to just be good at something and given a lot of financial aid and coaching help - you have to really want it deep inside you or you'll get so far and then stall.

But that's based on my somewhat limited knowledge of the Chinese system and I may be doing them an injustice with that assessment.

scoobs
12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
1) How do you feel about the fact you're solely responsible for giving jayjay an overinflated ego about his Fantasy abilities?
I don't feel anything about that, because it's patently not true. Go on KOC and check the 2006 threads from when we first started to play, and you can see his vastly overinflated fantasy abilities was already fully formed and on display. Anything I did by losing to him that year was superfluous. And he's been whacked twice since then and it hasn't dimmed his ego a jot. So I think it's just the way he is, and external factors really don't come into it.

2) Which celebrity do you think is gay but hasn't come out yet?
Oh Lord I don't know - do we even have any decent celebrities anymore? Most of them are reality tv wankers, third rate actors or daytime tv hosts.

Will Mellor - but that's mainly wishful thinking on my part.

3) Do you play any sports?
No. I have tried to play tennis, I'm fairly useless, and constitionally indolent. Walking is the only exercise I take.

4) What is the last DVD you watched?
Monty Python's The Life of Brian on Blu-ray

5) Do you believe in karma?
No. So many shits in the world seem to come first and get away with it. So many decent people get shat upon. Seems pretty random to me. I may invoke the fates or destiny at times but I don't believe in them.

6) Did you win any awards in school? What grades did you get for A-Level?
Awards? I won a couple of awards for academic stuff for things I don't quite remember anymore. I do remember that I won something at awards night every year I was at secondary school. Total swot I was.

I did French (A), Maths (A), Chemistry (A), Physics (B)

7) What's your ringtone on your mobile?
At the moment a piece of music called Manhattan Skyline from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack :)

Stensland
12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know about "centrist" countries.

i think i got it wrong, i meant "centralist" countries like france, where everything is situated in one place, in contrast to federations like germany or the us.

At the moment a piece of music called Manhattan Skyline from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

wow, you really are gay. :D ;)

have you watched this berankis guy play already? the one federer is practising with from time to time. what's he like?

where do you think will querrey peak in the rankings?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 09:08 PM
i think i got it wrong, i meant "centralist" countries like france, where everything is situated in one place, in contrast to federations like germany or the us.
I don't think one is inherently better or worse than the other - when you get to a certain size, federation is probably the only effective way to deal with Government - it gets too unwieldy from the centre.

wow, you really are gay. :D ;)
Nothing gay about funky 70s disco - that's something everyone can enjoy :D

have you watched this berankis guy play already? the one federer is practising with from time to time. what's he like?
I don't think I've seen him at all yet - someone I'll be looking out for in 2009 if I can catch one of his matches.

where do you think will querrey peak in the rankings?
Top 20. Maybe top 15. Not sure he'll go an awful lot higher than that. Possibly a brief stint in the top 10 but I'm not convinced by him yet. Seems a bit of a one trick pony in spite of being surprisingly effective on clay.

NinaNina19
12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Are you attracted to straight guys? As a girl I'm not really attracted to gay guys knowing they could never be attracted to me back. Is it the same for you?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Are you attracted to straight guys? As a girl I'm not really attracted to gay guys knowing they could never be attracted to me back. Is it the same for you?
I have been attracted to straight guys, yes, but once it becomes clear that they're not for turning, I get rid of it quickly, I don't sit around all mopey and lovelorn. Waste of time.

adee-gee
12-09-2008, 11:13 PM
- Do you still love me?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
- Do you still love me?
Absolutely. You're the exception.

Stensland
12-09-2008, 11:31 PM
what do you think of my best friend jimnik o'smartysmart?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
what do you think of my best friend jimnik o'smartysmart?
Very interesting, though I haven't really interacted all that much with Jimnik to this point...

Henry Chinaski
12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
does it irritate you when "gay" is casually used as a synonym for shit/rubbish etc? do you regard it as homophobic?

scoobs
12-09-2008, 11:48 PM
does it irritate you when "gay" is casually used as a synonym for shit/rubbish etc? do you regard it as homophobic?
I don't think it's homophobic, I just think it's not particularly considerate because it might offend some people.

Doesn't bother me, though, personally.

Bibberz
12-10-2008, 01:25 AM
(1) Which celebrity’s death affected you the most?

(2) What would it take to get you and Adam to play together on a pub quiz team for one night?

(3) Would you pick up and move to Washington D.C. if Obama offered to make you a member of his personal staff for the duration of his presidency? Assume the following:

You would get paid $125,000/year;
You would have to travel with Obama everywhere;
You would have to renounce your current citizenship;
You would have to become an American citizen and stay one for the rest of your life :o;
Your partner would not have to renounce his citizenship, but if he chose to move to America he would have to become a U.S. resident; and
Your partner would not get to travel with you while you worked for Obama. (4) What are your five favorite rock bands/artists (in no particular order)?

(5) What are your five favorite British news websites (in no particular order)?

alfonsojose
12-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Do you prefer it cut or uncut? and tell us about yours :angel:

scoobs
12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
(1) Which celebrity’s death affected you the most?

I don't know that any celebrity's death has really affected me. I remember being quite shocked and saddened by Heath Ledger's death. Perhaps also Freddie Mercury - brought home the tragedy of AIDS and sad to lose someone so talented so young also.

(2) What would it take to get you and Adam to play together on a pub quiz team for one night?
An invitation with some sort of notice. Not to mention actually meeting him first :tongue:

(3) Would you pick up and move to Washington D.C. if Obama offered to make you a member of his personal staff for the duration of his presidency? Assume the following:
You would get paid $125,000/year;
You would have to travel with Obama everywhere;
You would have to renounce your current citizenship;
You would have to become an American citizen and stay one for the rest of your life :o;
Your partner would not have to renounce his citizenship, but if he chose to move to America he would have to become a U.S. resident; and
Your partner would not get to travel with you while you worked for Obama.I doubt it. $125,000 is not an awful lot of money for that sort of an upheaval, not to mention the fact that my relationship would suffer a lot.

And I should never get any tennis watched.

Sounds like a bad idea to me :)

Can't I just phone my ideas into him for less money, stay here in the UK, and get free tickets to as many tennis tournaments as I like with free travel and accomodation? Sounds much better.

(4) What are your five favorite rock bands/artists (in no particular order)?
In no particular order, Queen, Pink Floyd, Madonna, Kate Bush, Kylie Minogue

(5) What are your five favorite British news websites (in no particular order)?
BBC news, Times Online, Independent, Guardian, CNN International.

Clydey
12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Were you a big fan of Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds when you were growing up?

scoobs
12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Do you prefer it cut or uncut? and tell us about yours :angel:

I don't mind either way, to be honest. I don't notice much difference.

My penis:

My penis is made up of three columns of tissue: two corpora cavernosa lie next to each other on the dorsal side and one corpus spongiosum lies between them on the ventral side.
The enlarged and bulbous-shaped end of the corpus spongiosum forms the glans penis, which supports the foreskin or prepuce, a loose fold of skin that in adults can retract to expose the glans. The area on the underside of the penis, where the foreskin is attached, is called the frenum (or frenulum).
Theurethra, which is the last part of the urinary tract, traverses the corpus spongiosum, and its opening, known as the meatus, lies on the tip of the glans penis. It is a passage both for urine and for the ejaculation of semen. Sperm are produced in the testes and stored in the attached epididymis. During ejaculation, sperm are propelled up the vas deferens, two ducts that pass over and behind the bladder. Fluids are added by the seminal vesicles and the vas deferens turns into the ejactulatory ducts which join the urethra inside the prostate gland. The prostate as well as the bulbourethral glands add further secretions, and the semen is expelled through the penis.
The raphe is the visible ridge between the lateral halves of the penis, found on the ventral or underside of the penis, running from the meatus (opening of the urethra) across the scrotum to the perineum (area between scrotum and anus).

:)

Clydey
12-10-2008, 09:33 AM

My penis:

My penis is made up of three columns of tissue: two corpora cavernosa lie next to each other on the dorsal side and one corpus spongiosum lies between them on the ventral side.
The enlarged and bulbous-shaped end of the corpus spongiosum forms the glans penis, which supports the foreskin or prepuce, a loose fold of skin that in adults can retract to expose the glans. The area on the underside of the penis, where the foreskin is attached, is called the frenum (or frenulum).
Theurethra, which is the last part of the urinary tract, traverses the corpus spongiosum, and its opening, known as the meatus, lies on the tip of the glans penis. It is a passage both for urine and for the ejaculation of semen. Sperm are produced in the testes and stored in the attached epididymis. During ejaculation, sperm are propelled up the vas deferens, two ducts that pass over and behind the bladder. Fluids are added by the seminal vesicles and the vas deferens turns into the ejactulatory ducts which join the urethra inside the prostate gland. The prostate as well as the bulbourethral glands add further secretions, and the semen is expelled through the penis.
The raphe is the visible ridge between the lateral halves of the penis, found on the ventral or underside of the penis, running from the meatus (opening of the urethra) across the scrotum to the perineum (area between scrotum and anus).

Was that copy and pasted? If not, I'm impressed.

scoobs
12-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Were you a big fan of Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds when you were growing up?

I certainly was - one of the best tv programs ever :worship:

scoobs
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Was that copy and pasted? If not, I'm impressed.

In that case, of course it wasn't :)

Clydey
12-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I certainly was - one of the best tv programs ever :worship:

I remember watching that back in the day, along with Thundercats, He-Man, and Around the World with Willy Fog.

Stensland
12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
is roger gonna have surpassed sampras by the end of 09 slam-wise?

do you think davydenko might even have better results at major tournaments if he'd play less mm tournaments during the season?

where do you see gulbis at the end of next year? is he finally going to get some consistency in his game?

why do you think was bush hated like the devil while blair didn't get even get half the criticism in europe even though he basically supported the same war, the same strategy and the same ideas?

you said you like politics - ever thought about running for any office?

scoobs
12-10-2008, 01:32 PM
is roger gonna have surpassed sampras by the end of 09 slam-wise?
I think equalled. I don't think he will have surpassed it.

do you think davydenko might even have better results at major tournaments if he'd play less mm tournaments during the season?
Occasionally he seemed a bit jaded going into a slam due to overplaying before it, but his overall slam results aren't that bad. I just think when he gets to a certain level, QF or SF, he doesn't quite believe in himself enough to go any further - he's had tricky matches when he gets that deep, and if he lucked out one day with a player he is very confident against, he could go a bit further. But he's not a player who has enough to consistently challenge for the slams, in my view.

where do you see gulbis at the end of next year? is he finally going to get some consistency in his game?
I think he will get more consistent, but I'm not sure if he'll gradually improve on that, or if he'll have a Eureka moment like Del Potro did this year, where it came together suddenly and his ability to string results together jumped hugely. He's got a game to be better than 53, that's for sure, but not yet the control over it and he can stop thinking and play really brainlessly sometimes. I think he'll end 2009 in the top 25, possibly top 20. That would be a good solid move up for him.

why do you think was bush hated like the devil while blair didn't get even get half the criticism in europe even though he basically supported the same war, the same strategy and the same ideas?
Cos Blair is european :) - I think a lot of the loathing of Bush came from the portrait he offered of himself as a typical American Cowboy, acting unsophisticated and unthinking. I think that within European political circles there is often a latent anti-Americanism that leads to them looking down on America and believing it to be naive and trigger-happy.

Besides, Bush was seen as the prime mover in the whole deal, which he was. It was, ultimately, Bush's policy and Bush's war, especially the disastrous aftermath. Blair was, if anything, Bush's explainer, trying to persuade Europeans it was the right policy even if Bush did a terribly job of explaining why.

I think many in Europe saw Blair as at least being articulate on the issue, even if his opinions differed with a lot of Europeans. He was seen as trying to get Bush to broaden his outlook and make it a multinational effort via the UN. I also think many in Europe felt Blair had a choice between America and Europe, pulling him in different directions. They think he made the wrong choice.

you said you like politics - ever thought about running for any office?
I have, but I don't think I want to. I think the current political machine just swallows politicians up - they seem to lose the capacity for independent thinking, for thinking outside of the constraints imposed upon them by political life. They become beaurocratized and dependent on it for their policy-making. Many of them become droids who vote for the party line when they're told to and seem incapable of looking at the wider picture or dissenting.

alfonsojose
12-10-2008, 03:31 PM

My penis:

No personal details :( :tears: :p

Stensland
12-10-2008, 04:05 PM
bailout for the automakers or not? and if so, in what way? with a czar on top? with obama giving directions to the bosses? with no strings attached?

who's your favorite republican in the u.s.?

do you take rush limbaugh or ann coulter any seriously or is it just satire to you?

Zirconek
12-10-2008, 04:14 PM
since Clydey's thread was "in the scotlight", I think scoobs' should be "in the scoobslight" :)

jayjay
12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
*Are you surprised/impressed by the volume of questions Rrrainer has for you?

*Is Rrrainer your double account?

*Don't you realise that by virtue of this thread, when we inevitably meet, I won't have anything to ask you/say to you other than taking the piss out of you for Fantasy Tennis 2006 and lambasting you for banning Linda from KOC?

Stensland
12-10-2008, 04:28 PM

:lol: :worship:

scoobs
12-10-2008, 04:32 PM
bailout for the automakers or not? and if so, in what way? with a czar on top? with obama giving directions to the bosses? with no strings attached?
I wouldn't give them a bailout yet - I'd give them a loan to keep them going until Obama takes office and then re-examine the problem then - any bailout needs conditions to encourage them to reform what they produce and tie in to Obama's wider strategy of green revolution - fuel efficient cars etc.

who's your favorite republican in the u.s.?
Olympia Snowe - US Senator for Maine. But that's because she's a very moderate New England Republican who many right wing republicans consider a RINO - Republican In Name Only :)

do you take rush limbaugh or ann coulter any seriously or is it just satire to you?
You can't take them seriously, except in the impact they have on right wing opinion. When you examine their arguments logically, they fall to pieces, or are based on outright lies or distortions.

scoobs
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
*Are you surprised/impressed by the volume of questions Rrrainer has for you?

Surprised perhaps, but I don't mind.

I can't see how that would work. I would know about it, I'd hope.

*Don't you realise that by virtue of this thread, when we inevitably meet, I won't have anything to ask you/say to you other than taking the piss out of you for Fantasy Tennis 2006
Never in doubt

and lambasting you for banning Linda from KOC?

She's not banned, she's just a drama queen. She logged in this afternoon as it happens. I won't ban her, either. Unless she pisses me off. Then I will. :)

Stensland
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Surprised perhaps, but I don't mind.

you wanna know wha that is the case? first of all, you seem like a decent guy who actually answers questions in orderly fashion, unlike MANY other mtf'ers who prefer to be sarcastic, desperately try to be ironic or are obviously simply preteen dimwits (hello, glennmirny). secondly, you're interested in u.s. politics - whereas i myself have yet to meet someone in germany who's even heard of rush limbaugh, for example. thirdly, your opinions appear to be quite interesting, even though i wouldn't agree with every single thing you're saying. oh, and then you know players quite well, which is not bad on a tennis board. :D so yeah, that's why.

and since you don't mind... ;)

is blagojevich's haircut the worst "regular" haircut you've seen this year?

what's your main source for american politics on tv? cnn international?

did you vote for blair/his party?

right-wingers in the u.s. constantly say that bush and his era will look much more positive in a couple of decades. do you believe that's true?

scoobs
12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
you wanna know wha that is the case? first of all, you seem like a decent guy who actually answers questions in orderly fashion, unlike MANY other mtf'ers who prefer to be sarcastic, desperately try to be ironic or are obviously simply preteen dimwits (hello, glennmirny). secondly, you're interested in u.s. politics - whereas i myself have yet to meet someone in germany who's even heard of rush limbaugh, for example. thirdly, your opinions appear to be quite interesting, even though i wouldn't agree with every single thing you're saying. oh, and then you know players quite well, which is not bad on a tennis board. :D so yeah, that's why.

Well thanks :)

and since you don't mind... ;)

is blagojevich's haircut the worst "regular" haircut you've seen this year?

What is that all about? That hair is appalling? He should be indicted purely for that! :D

what's your main source for american politics on tv? cnn international?
if i'm watching tv then cnn or msnbc, which we get here. But I get most of my info on the web - the msnbc and cnn websites, openleft and dailykos, fivethirtyeight.com and the huffingtonpost. I also check out fox news and some of the right wing blogsphere like redstate.com to see what the nutty ideologues are saying :)

did you vote for blair/his party?
I voted for Labour/Blair in 1997 and 2001. In 2005 I voted for the Liberal Democrats, as they were the only mainstream party not supporting the Iraq war back in 2003.

right-wingers in the u.s. constantly say that bush and his era will look much more positive in a couple of decades. do you believe that's true?
I think to a small degree that will be true because it will be talked and written about more dispassionately, the way we now talk about McCarthyism, Nixon, etc. It won't have the same emotional resonance. And that will inevitably will help his legacy. But the facts are still pretty damning in his case and all the massaging in the world won't help that. So I don't think his legacy will be helped significantly. He has made a mess of his presidency.

Stensland
12-10-2008, 05:24 PM
What is that all about? That hair is appalling? He should be indicted purely for that! :D

to me it looks almost as weird as trump's thing on the head. :D

I also check out fox news and some of the right wing blogsphere like redstate.com to see what the nutty ideologues are saying :)

what do you make of colbert's pappa bear imitation?

scoobs
12-10-2008, 05:25 PM
to me it looks almost as weird as trump's thing on the head. :D

what do you make of colbert's pappa bear imitation?
Colbert makes me giggle - especially when he took the piss out of Bush when Bush was sat right there.

I love the way he deliberately frenchified his surname to piss the Republicans off.

EternalxJourney
12-10-2008, 05:33 PM
scoobs, do you think his middle name tyrone is real?

scoobs
12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
scoobs, do you think his middle name tyrone is real?
I suppose it's possible but it seems an unusual middle name.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made it up for comedy value.

Stensland
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
do you think scotland will secede from the union in the coming years?

do you believe the brits will ever accept the euro as a way to go, will they ever let the pound sterling go?

scoobs
12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
do you think scotland will secede from the union in the coming years?

Yes, I think it will happen. Scottish nationalist sentiment has been on the rise in Scotland since the 60s and 70s, although I'm not sure why. In any case, unless something happens to check the rise in this sentiment from within Scotland, yes I think they'll do it. Seems like there's a lot of Scots who don't believe that the UK does them any good and they'd do at least as well alone.

do you believe the brits will ever accept the euro as a way to go, will they ever let the pound sterling go?

Yes I think it will happen. There's been a lot of talk that we're more exposed to this financial crisis because of the pound sterling and that we might be more insulated from it if we were in the Eurozone as we would likely be less exposed to currency speculation - sterling is being picked on heavily in the market at the moment. Of course, the economics are always a bit questionable - joining would leave losers as well as winners, and might cause other problems. Sooner or later we'll do it though, I believe. We're always late on the European train and we complain loudly at every stop but we still seem to keep going on the journey :o

Stensland
12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
given the amazing chuzpe blagojevich obviously had during the last couple of weeks (where he apparently didn't even care about being bugged), do you think he had a sort of supervisor guarding him and kind of shielding him so far? and what did obama know? did someone sell him (blagojevich) out?

MisterQ
12-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Scoobs. Hope nobody has asked this yet... What U.S. cities have you been too, and (if any) which did you like best?

alfonsojose
12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Did u date women?

Aloimeh
12-11-2008, 01:03 AM
On politics:

Do you have certain social issues where your stand is opposite to the "liberal" default. E.g. anti-abortion or anti-assisted suicide?

What's your opinion of the assisted suicide that will be aired in the UK?

What do you think of Putin?

Should Blagojevich just appoint his wife to the senator's seat and be done with it?

Do you think Wales will secede from the UK (re: the Scottish comments you made earlier)?

Opinions on Madeleine Albright, aka Primitive Eastern-European Peasant (per Bhoutros Bhoutros Ghali)/Toilet-Whore (my name for her)?

Opinions on Bliar?

What is it about infamous Serb politicians and horrible hair? I present:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/WNT/ap_karadzic_070227_ssv.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/60000/images/_62471_plavsic.jpg

http://tomroeser.com/blog/img/f24534/blagojevich.jpg

On miscellany:

Music: Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven?

Favorite color of roses?

Novels: Tolstoy or Dostoevsky?

Physicists: Newton, Einstein, or Tesla?

Thoughts on Shakespeare?

Terrain: Mountains or sea?

On your personal life:

Ever had sex with a woman? Thoughts?

Do you find the thought (experience, if you have) of sex with women as disgusting as I find the thought of sex with men?

If you had a choice (in your view), would you prefer to be heterosexual or are happy with the way things are?

Which country/world region has the most objectively attractive 1.) women and 2.) men?

Can you explain why so many gay people in the US speak with a lisp? Is this something they do in Europe too?

Also, can you explain why many (not all, of course) gay men are attracted to effeminacy and lesbian women to masculinity? If a gay man is not into women, why might he be attracted to effeminate mannerisms in another man? This does not quite make sense to me.

scoobs
12-11-2008, 06:53 AM
given the amazing chuzpe blagojevich obviously had during the last couple of weeks (where he apparently didn't even care about being bugged), do you think he had a sort of supervisor guarding him and kind of shielding him so far? and what did obama know? did someone sell him (blagojevich) out?

Did he know he was being bugged? I find it hard to believe he had some of those conversations knowing he was being put on tape. He was elected Governor - can he really be that stupid? I know he already had some problems in that he was suspected of corruption in other matters and it seems the FBI obtained authorization to wire him as a result and then picked up all this good stuff - I'm not sure he knew that was going on - though he must be several kinds of dumb not to suspect it might happen.

I don't know whether he has some kind of guardian - if so I can't see how they can help him now - he's in all kinds of doggydoo. I frankly doubt Obama knew much of anything but if he did, or his people are in any way negatively involved, he has problems. But from what I've heard so far, Blago was pissed at Obama because as far as he could tell, although someone had made clear what Obama's preference to replace him might be, they weren't prepared to give him anything other than "gratitude".

So I don't know - the corruption element in all this is bad enough, but just how dumb Blago is makes the whole thing laughable - is Chicago politics really so openly corrupt that he had good reason to believe he can auction a senate seat to the highest bidder and nobody would notice??? :lol:

scoobs
12-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi Scoobs. Hope nobody has asked this yet... What U.S. cities have you been too, and (if any) which did you like best?

I've been to Los Angeles and Las Vegas and briefly New York on a quick layover on the way to LA - hardly saw the city at all. I hope to travel there much more.

Of the places I have seen properly, LA - but still, LA is a very weird place. But compared to Las Vegas it's normality itself :lol:

scoobs
12-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Did u date women?

Nope. Never dated them, never smooched with them, never slept with them at all, ever.

I could still technically be a virgin depending on how you define it :eek:

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Would you go for a threesome M/M/F if the other guy was be? :angel: :p

scoobs
12-11-2008, 07:58 AM
On politics:

Do you have certain social issues where your stand is opposite to the "liberal" default. E.g. anti-abortion or anti-assisted suicide?

Well...I wouldn't say my stance on most social issues is opposite to the liberal "default" but it might be less moderate than some liberals.

I view abortion as a tragedy. I don't like it. As a man, I don't feel qualified or justified in telling women what to do with their bodies - the reality is that they conceive and carry a child to term, not the man, so it's somewhat easier for me to sit here and judge - I will never have to make that choice. But I am against abortion being considered as just another form of contraception. I view it is as far far better to avoid conception in the first place, and casual abortion is something I have problems with. But I wouldn't ban abortion. I would, however, take action to limit late and medium term abortions except on clear medical grounds. Ultimately what I advocate is abortion avoidance through better education and freely available contraception. So while I uneasily go along with the "woman's choice" argument, I think that doesn't mean a woman should choose to be irresponsible.

What's your opinion of the assisted suicide that will be aired in the UK?
Assisted suicide is a real challenge for me - it's an issue I *really* struggle to reach a settled view on. On the one hand a couple of my Grandparents, when they died, had long, protracted and painful deaths from terminal conditions, and I can certainly see the benefits if the whole terrible process had been brought to a swifter and more dignified end somehow. And I am not opposed to suicide - I feel people have the right to end their own lives if they see fit, although personally it's not something I could ever do or would understand at this stage of my life - if I ever end up terminally ill, I might well reconsider but right now - it's just inconceivable. But I abhor murder. I am opposed to the death penalty. I conceive very few circumstances where I could support killing somebody and most of those involve self-defence of some kind in warfare or some other terrible situation.

So that's the dilemma - if someone assists a suicide they are helping someone else to die and this is where I enter the moral conundrum. My current thinking is that helping someone to die who is of sound mind and clearly expressed that desire in front of impartial witnesses, in circumstances where all they can expect is a lot of pain and suffering and terrible quality of life before they die, then I think it's acceptable. But only in cases where there is absolutely no doubt about the clearly expressed intentions of the sufferer. In all other circumstances, no. But, as I say, that's not really a settled opinion. It's an issue I struggle with.

In terms of the assisted suicide that will be broadcast in the UK - I am not opposed to that as long as it's handled sensitively and not sensationalistically (I don't know if I will watch it.). I think this is an issue that continues to rise up the agenda here in the UK and I think broadcasters can assist that debate by showing us the reality of it, as long as it's not done in a gratuitous and expoitative manner.

What do you think of Putin?
I think first and foremost he is a strong patriot. I also think he believes that the only model for governing a country as big as Russia is very strong, forceful Government at the centre. I don't think he is particularly democratic because he doesn't believe democracy would serve Russia very well. Hence state control of a lot of the media, since controlling dissemination of information is the surest way to control the population these days. He's something of a throwback to the Soviet era - Medvedev is a puppet placeholder who will stay until Putin can engineer fresh elections with himself on the Presidential ballot so he can retake visible control - he is already still the leader but rather than change the constitution to get around 2 consecutive term limits, he's stepped aside briefly and will then get himself re-elected. This method of adopting democratic trappings and them circumventing them by basically preventing an opposition to challenge effectively is dictatorship with a slightly different face. I hope Russia can organise itself into a fully democratic state one day but on current form, I'm not optimistic. I still think full participatory democracy with an effective opposition movement is the least worst option for governance that we've devised so far.

Should Blagojevich just appoint his wife to the senator's seat and be done with it?
He might yet do so - as far as I can see he still has full authority to appoint who he wants. Obama has said he would like to see the Illinois state legislature pass a state law to change the mechanism to a special election instead, which seems to me to be much better and should be done everywhere - this power of appointment patronage seems to me to give a lot of scope for corruption in circumstances such as these.

Do you think Wales will secede from the UK (re: the Scottish comments you made earlier)?
I don't think Wales will do except possibly in the very long term. There is nowhere near the same Welsh nationalistic fervour that there is in Scotland. But it would be interesting to see if that did change if Scotland did ever secede. It might raise their own enthusiasms.

Opinions on Madeleine Albright, aka Primitive Eastern-European Peasant (per Bhoutros Bhoutros Ghali)/Toilet-Whore (my name for her)?
I thought she was an admirable Secretary of State in the Clinton years. Beyond that I have no real opinion.

Opinions on Bliar?
Complicated. A PM who was so focused on getting power then keeping it, it took him an awful long time to work out what he actually wanted to *do* with it - wasn't until 4 years in and after a second election that he really defined an agenda of his own, and that's when we realised he was really a Tory. The Iraq war was a disaster for him - he believed Saddam was a threat and needed to go but failed to see the case wasn't as strong as he wanted it to be re WMD, and didn't recognise that for Bushco it was nothing to do with WMD and everything to do with ideology-based assertion of American power. He should have recognised that and got out of it, realising that while the goal of toppling Saddam be in the abstract a good thing, the way the Americans wanted to do it, and why, and their disdain for the post-war situation, was not worth hitching your fortunes to. That was the point the UK should have stood up and said "we won't support absolutely everything you do" but it didn't and that is almost entirely Blair's fault, and so he led the UK into the same immoral mess that the US walked into, which is still something this country and its politicians still refuse to fully face up to.

What is it about infamous Serb politicians and horrible hair? I present:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/WNT/ap_karadzic_070227_ssv.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/60000/images/_62471_plavsic.jpg

http://tomroeser.com/blog/img/f24534/blagojevich.jpg

Well, 3 does not make a consensus. some of them may have wonderful hair. But clearly some of them need help. Or some anti-friz product at least.

On miscellany:

Music: Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven?
Beethoven although they were all giants.

Favorite color of roses?
white

Novels: Tolstoy or Dostoevsky?
Tolstoy but again, both were giants.

Physicists: Newton, Einstein, or Tesla?
That's a tough one because by nature all scientists build on the work done by predecessors. But for me, Tesla, because I think the things he discovered made the 20th century, and thus the 21st - his work in electricity and magnetism led directly to many of the things we take for granted today.

Thoughts on Shakespeare?
Ummm - good but somewhat overrated in my opinion - his dramas were too melodramatic and his comedys not very funny. But that could be due to the era they were written in, different sensibilities. Certainly many of the stories, at their base, were very engaging and when suitably adapted for a modern audience, still have the power to thrill. Personally I lose patience trying to read it in its original form though - I find it hard to really lose myself in the flow of a play when I constantly have to translate the flowery prose in my head into a readily understood form. Which no doubt would have me condemned by true English scholars :)

Terrain: Mountains or sea?
Sea.

On your personal life:

Ever had sex with a woman? Thoughts?
Never. Don't want to. I could bring myself to do it if I were forced but...what's the point of that? Without good feelings and desire, it's just a strange biological/mechanical act that's not worth the bother.

Do you find the thought (experience, if you have) of sex with women as disgusting as I find the thought of sex with men?
I don't find it disgusting and I think those gays who make their over-exaggerated eeew noises at the idea should consider growing up. I just don't desire it. I have no urges in that direction.

If you had a choice (in your view), would you prefer to be heterosexual or are happy with the way things are?
I dare say if someone, at age 10, say, had told me I would grow up and realise I was gay and I could, at age 10, choose to grow up straight instead, I would have done so. It's hard to be sure, but I imagine at that age I would have wanted to conform and be like nearly everyone else. Kids have a horror of being seen as different from their friends.

From the age of 18 onward, if someone had offered me that choice I would have turned them down. Being gay and coming to terms with what that means to me has been a large part of becoming who I am. Difficult though it was, I wouldn't wish to undo it or make it meaningless, because it has been an integral part of my development. And on a practical level it makes little or no difference to me at this point.

Which country/world region has the most objectively attractive 1.) women and 2.) men?
I wouldn't have a clue - I find men attractive and women beautiful from all areas of the world. So it comes down to personal taste and there's no point trying to be objective about that.

Can you explain why so many gay people in the US speak with a lisp? Is this something they do in Europe too?
I can't explain that, if they even do. It's not something I've noticed, either in the US or Europe.

Also, can you explain why many (not all, of course) gay men are attracted to effeminacy and lesbian women to masculinity? If a gay man is not into women, why might he be attracted to effeminate mannerisms in another man? This does not quite make sense to me.
I really don't know the answer to that either - I am sure there are biochemical and hormonal and psychological reasons for why things like that might happen but for one thing, it's not a hard and fast rule - some masculine gays are attracted to masculine gays and vice versa, all combinations hold true here. In the end it might be as individualistic as why some men prefer brunettes to blondes, or are more interested in a woman's rear end than her breasts - ie - who knows? :)

scoobs
12-11-2008, 07:58 AM
If the other guy was what now?

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
If the other guy was what now?

:ras: not funny to mock a non native English, as a mod you should correct us to help us improve :ras: :p

Answer the question please :angel: :p

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:05 AM
:ras: not funny to mock a non native English, as a mod you should correct us to help us improve :ras: :p

Answer the question please :angel: :p
I'm just not following your meaning.

Did you mean bisexual?

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 08:07 AM

Did you mean bisexual?

:yeah: I didn't mean bicycle, indeed... :angel: :p

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, in the spirit of being, you know, helpful, the correct abbreviation of bisexual is bi, not be :angel:

And to answer your question.

Yes, if I wasn't expected to physically interact with the F in that arrangement.

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I know that, just typed too fast :angel: :p

When you say "interact" would that mean that if the girl tried something on you it would spoil your fun and you wouldn't be able to make it? Just asking because my gay colleague told me that he could shag a girl, even though it's not his cup of tea of course...

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:19 AM
I know that, just typed too fast :angel: :p

When you say "interact" would that mean that if the girl tried something on you it would spoil your fun and you wouldn't be able to make it? Just asking because my gay colleague told me that he could shag a girl, even though it's not his cup of tea of course...
Sat here in the cold light of day I can say quite easily what I would and would not want to do. In the heat of the moment things might go further than I would expect at this moment. I doubt it would spoil my fun if unexpected developments took place and I was really into what was going on already before that happened. Like most guys, when you stop thinking with one head and start thinking with the other, all sorts of unexpected things can happen. So yeah I see where your friend is coming from. I might be a little freaked out after though, when the other head reasserted control. Probably not for long, though.

Bibberz
12-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Did you mean bisexual?

I thought JM mistyped. I thought he meant to write:

"Would you go for a threesome M/M/F if the other guy was me?" ("b" and "m" are reasonably close together on the keyboard. :shrug:)

My interpretation is way better. :lol:

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I thought JM mistyped. I thought he meant to write:

"Would you go for a threesome M/M/F if the other guy was me?"

My interpretation is way better. :lol:

That's exactly why I asked :lol:

I wasn't sure if it was a generic question or a coded invite :eek:

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Damn :mad: BD caught me here :bigcry: :bolt: :p

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Damn :mad: BD caught me here :bigcry: :bolt: :p
Don't worry, I could never hurt Princess in that way by taking you from him ;)

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 08:27 AM
:mad: Princess is NOT interested anyway :shrug: :ras: :p

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:29 AM
:mad: Princess is NOT interested anyway :shrug: :ras: :p
Have you two had another fight?

We're a pregnancy scare aware from a teen drama as it is :help:

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
No time for arse kissing, we'll play each other at FF this weekend :armed: :boxing: :o and something "big" is on the line again :o :unsure: :scared: :bolt:

Bibberz
12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Chris, JM and Adam have another bet. I don't suppose you still have your RHPS boots? Princess may be getting "all dolled up" for us. :o:D

scoobs
12-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I threw all my drag out years ago.

In case I started to like it :help:

;)

Another bet - Saints preserve us :lol:

-Evita-
12-11-2008, 09:04 AM

I thought the 'be' was supposed to be 'me', not 'bi' :lol:

JolánGagó
12-11-2008, 11:22 AM
No time for arse kissing, we'll play each other at FF this weekend :armed: :boxing: :o and something "big" is on the line again :o :unsure: :scared: :bolt:

OMG these guys are getting hardcore... I guess some ass kissing might be an useful sphincter relaxing foreplay anyway before trying full fledged FF, no?

Next time you'll be able to take a coockoo clock up there.

bokehlicious
12-11-2008, 11:27 AM
JG, we all know you'd love to take a cuckoo clock up the arse, try to loosen it up with smaller things first, it helps big time :o ;)

scoobs
12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/bostero_2006/doh.gif

JolánGagó
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
JG, we all know you'd love to take a cuckoo clock up the arse, try to loosen it up with smaller things first, it helps big time :o ;)

I shall listen to the voice of experience :lol:

MisterQ
12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Scoobs,

Vodka, gin, tequila or rum? (please rank)

scoobs
12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Scoobs,

Vodka, gin, tequila or rum? (please rank)
Vodka, rum, tequila, gin.

I can't stomach gin :)

Stensland
12-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Did he know he was being bugged?

i think so. there have been press conferences just from last week where he basically stated "listen, even if you bug me, [it was alluded to wiretapping him in several newspapers over the last month], i don't have anything to hide, just go ahead."

turns out, during that time he came up with the most blatant rants i've ever heard. seems to me like he's relied on *somebody*. otherwise he'd just be a complete nut, and i doubt that you can become the governor of a state like illinois if you're a complete nut.

i do think there's much more to the story than we know at the moment, yes. blagojevich has been TOO sure of himself, too blatant concerning the overall procedure.

do you think kennedy was shot by that one weird guy?

do you think 9/11 was an inside job?

scoobs
12-11-2008, 09:03 PM
i think so. there have been press conferences just from last week where he basically stated "listen, even if you bug me, [it was alluded to wiretapping him in several newspapers over the last month], i don't have anything to hide, just go ahead."

turns out, during that time he came up with the most blatant rants i've ever heard. seems to me like he's relied on *somebody*. otherwise he'd just be a complete nut, and i doubt that you can become the governor of a state like illinois if you're a complete nut.

i do think there's much more to the story than we know at the moment, yes. blagojevich has been TOO sure of himself, too blatant concerning the overall procedure.

There could be - or he really could be that arrogant and stupid that he assumed they wouldn't actually go ahead and wire him.

In any case - he is the dumbest person ever - the real issue is - will he take anyone else down with him and will any mud stick to Obama?

do you think kennedy was shot by that one weird guy?

Probably - I think if there was a conspiracy than sooner or later irrefutable evidence would emerge and it hasn't so far. I don't think it really matters anyway at this point. It was a long time ago.

do you think 9/11 was an inside job?

No, I don't. No matter how incompetent and shockingly inhumane the Bush administration, it strains my credulity to breaking point trying to believe they would actually attack their own country as a pretext for military adventure. The simple explanation is usually the correct one.

Stensland
12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
No, I don't. No matter how incompetent and shockingly inhumane the Bush administration, it strains my credulity to breaking point trying to believe they would actually attack their own country as a pretext for military adventure. The simple explanation is usually the correct one.

so what do you make of all the flight instructors stating the alleged pilots were pretty much idiots who wouldn't even be allowed to fly cessnas in the future, let alone jumbo jets? after all, they never even sat in the cockpit of any of those monsters.

if you had to emigrate to an english-speaking country, what country would you choose?

do you plan to retire somewhere sunny, like your mom apparently did (if i understood you correctly)?

scoobs
12-11-2008, 11:02 PM
so what do you make of all the flight instructors stating the alleged pilots were pretty much idiots who wouldn't even be allowed to fly cessnas in the future, let alone jumbo jets? after all, they never even sat in the cockpit seat of any of those monsters.

Well, after all, the pilots weren't after anything but the most rudimentary understanding of flying plays - beyond possibly making course adjustments - they had no take-off to do and they certainly weren't concerned with safe landing either.

if you had to emigrate to an english-speaking country, what country would you choose?
Probably Australia.

do you plan to retire somewhere sunny, like you mom apparently did (if i understood you correctly)?
No - at least I don't see it happening from the vantage point of this stage of my life. That's always been my mom's dream, not my own. Not sure where I'd like to end up, actually...

alfonsojose
12-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Is Rrainer hetero?

scoobs
12-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Is Rrainer hetero?
Yes.

Zirconek
12-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Two days ago was the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Is there any specific article that you would like to highlight in your signature? And what's the reason (most touching, less achieved, etc)?

Stensland
12-12-2008, 02:46 PM
is alfonsojose the most sexed-up person you ever met online?

where do you see the american carmakers at the end of 2009? gone? merged? even upbeat about the future?

why do you think are certain eastern european countries hotbeds concerning sports (croatia, serbia, the czechs republic) while others don't seem get a lot done (poland, former russian republics like the uzbeks, the kazakhs, georgia, armenia etc.)?

if you'd be the pm, would you urge the rest of the world to step in in zimbabwe or let it be?

would you change the rules in the un security council, allowing other countries to take part, enlarging the council etc.?

JolánGagó
12-12-2008, 03:44 PM
former russian republics like the uzbeks, the kazakhs, georgia, armenia etc.

Those countries were never "russian" republics but Soviet ones :rolleyes:

scoobs
12-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Two days ago was the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Is there any specific article that you would like to highlight in your signature? And what's the reason (most touching, less achieved, etc)?
For me the first article is the most important because it's also the least achieved. "Act towards one another in the spirit of brotherhood."

Maybe one day...

scoobs
12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
If not the most, then it's not far off :)

where do you see the american carmakers at the end of 2009? gone? merged? even upbeat about the future?
Still intact, bailed out, and hopefully finally making the management and future-leaning changes that are required.

why do you think are certain eastern european countries hotbeds concerning sports (croatia, serbia, the czechs republic) while others don't seem get a lot done (poland, former russian republics like the uzbeks, the kazakhs, georgia, armenia etc.)?
I don't know, to be honest. Do some of those other countries put their focus on other sports that are less focused on by us? Or maybe it's just luck as to whether someone with talent breaks through in some countries, as I doubt sports funding is a crucial part of the budget in any of these countries.

if you'd be the pm, would you urge the rest of the world to step in in zimbabwe or let it be?
Something should have been done a long time ago. It's shocking and shameful what Mugabe has been allowed to do to that country for so long.

would you change the rules in the un security council, allowing other countries to take part, enlarging the council etc.?
Yes the Security Council in its current form is anachronistic, to put it kindly. India and Brazil should be on there at the least as permanent members and veto power needs stripping from the big 5 with resolutions binding even if they vote against it. Then we might start to get somewhere.

Stensland
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
now this is a difficult one: when you see someone like mugabe (just an example, i could refer to other african states or other parts of the world as well), are you, as a brit, completely emotionally detached to what happens in zimbabwe or is there any kind of sense in your head that says kinda "wait a sec, didn't our guys fuck that one up in the first place?" i hope you get what i'm trying to bring across here. i watched some program on the herrero massacre in namibia the other day where german soldiers basically gunned down civilians with no mercy whatsoever and it just felt weird to know that *my folks* have been working on a pretty dark history down there. i suppose it's not guilt that i mean, but this sort of...i don't know. maybe you do. ;)

Aloimeh
12-12-2008, 09:01 PM

I know this is Scoobs' to answer, but for the countries question, I think it's a matter of interest and cultural fads. I think sport is *too* important in Serbia and Croatia, to the detriment of artistic and intellectual pursuits. Note that other small countries like Armenia and Georgia are superb beyond their numbers in chess because that's the dominant fad over there. This is a bit like American black culture being almost entirely sports and entertainment focused (which is of course something open to only relatively few, although blacks excel in those two fields), so many blacks who aspire to that but can't make it end up losing out.

Stensland
12-12-2008, 09:20 PM
well, but they all like football, don't they? yet their teams are shitty compared to the balkans or the czechs. and tennis is probably equally poor in most of the countries we're talking about here, yet the balkans and the czechs, once again, are doing a very good job. in fact, facilities are even harder to maintain than any other sports facilities.

Aloimeh
12-12-2008, 09:23 PM
well, but they all like football, don't they? yet their teams are shitty compared to the balkans or the czechs. and tennis is probably equally poor in most of the countries we're talking about here, yet the balkans and the czechs, once again, are doing a very good job. in fact, facilities are even harder to maintain than any other sports facilities.

Why are Roma and Ashkenazi Jews such great violinists?

Stensland
12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
since i have no idea, i'll leave that one for scoobs. ;)

scoobs
12-12-2008, 10:12 PM
now this is a difficult one: when you see someone like mugabe (just an example, i could refer to other african states or other parts of the world as well), are you, as a brit, completely emotionally detached to what happens in zimbabwe or is there any kind of sense in your head that says kinda "wait a sec, didn't our guys fuck that one up in the first place?" i hope you get what i'm trying to bring across here. i watched some program on the herrero massacre in namibia the other day where german soldiers basically gunned down civilians with no mercy whatsoever and it just felt weird to know that *my folks* have been working on a pretty dark history down there. i suppose it's not guilt that i mean, but this sort of...i don't know. maybe you do. ;)
Okay - here's what I think - Zimbabwe was probably our trickiest de-colonization to do - there was the whole Ian Smith and minority white rule thing and it got messy for a long time - but in the end, in 1980 we got the interested parties into a conference at Lancaster House in London, we assumed direct control temporarily, held elections that were free and fair and with a full electorate - and Mugabe won over Nkomo and the other groups. At that point we handed power over to him, gave them a bunch of money and our army helped to train theirs, etc, and we said goodbye and good luck.

I think the UK has not a lot to be proud of as far as Zimbabwe is concerned but then again I feel that way about the whole colonial era - the arrogance and disregard for the indigenous people was breathtaking.

However, from 1980 on it's been Mugabe's party and the only I feel any "citizen guilt" as a Brit, if you like, is that our colonial past has left us a bit reticent in actually trying to get rid of Mugabe so the country can recover. I feel no British guilt that he has ruined his own country and declared war on his own people - they elected him, unfortunately. And his attitude has made it very difficult for the UK to intervene - he uses us as a convenient demon - now he's blaming cholera on us :rolleyes:

The only way I perhaps do feel that the UK has responsibility is that at the Lancaster House conference, the issue of black land right and white farmers was too contentious to be resolved so it was ignored - and the land grab program Mugabe introduced in the 90s was the result. But again, ultimately that's Mugabe doing it to his own country.

I feel disappointed the international community has done little or nothing to remove this man from office, by force if necessary.

scoobs
12-12-2008, 10:13 PM
since i have no idea, i'll leave that one for scoobs. ;)
:lol:

Thanks.

I have no idea - I think perhaps cultural fad covers it - some groups prize excellence in some areas over other areas.

Stensland
12-12-2008, 10:26 PM
this wasn't meant to be "brit-bashing" whatsoever anyways. that's why the term "guilt" is probably the wrong way to go. i do know most of the african states, whenever lectured by europeans, will speak up and point to actions europeans have taken a couple of decades ago down there. rightly so? i don't know. there's no real answer in this case.

do you think some african states (mainly the failed ones like nigeria, sudan or the congo) should be taken over completely by the un and get administered by the world community for some time? the borders have been fake anways, so why not come up with new ones according to the various tribes inhabiting the region? i've read an article about this idea, it stems from a professor at yale; he's basically been shopping the script, if you will.

do you think iran will get attacked by the obama administration under any circumstances?

scoobs
12-12-2008, 10:56 PM
this wasn't meant to be "brit-bashing" whatsoever anyways. that's why the term "guilt" is probably the wrong way to go. i do know most of the african states, whenever lectured by europeans, will speak up and point to actions europeans have taken a couple of decades ago down there. rightly so? i don't know. there's no real answer in this case.

do you think some african states (mainly the failed ones like nigeria, sudan or the congo) should be taken over completely by the un and get administered by the world community for some time? the borders have been fake anways, so why not come up with new ones according to the various tribes inhabiting the region? i've read an article about this idea, it stems from a professor at yale; he's basically been shopping the script, if you will.

do you think iran will get attacked by the obama administration under any circumstances?
I think the question of generational guilt is a very interesting one. Should I or my generation feel guilty for the decisions taken by British leaders decades ago or even longer? I don't have any hard and fast answers on this either.

I think the development of a fully fledged UN country-building arm is long overdue, although naturally there'd be massive controversy over when and where it would be used. But yes I think failed states should be taken over by the UN, a caretaker government installed and transition to an indigenous government capable of ruling organised as soon as possible.

As for Africa's borders - a lot of them were arbitrary and outright dumb, but I think we're stuck with them at this point and need to make them work - I don't see countries agreeing to redraw borders. The attempt to do so between Ethiopia and Eritrea has been logjammed for years with no end in sight.

I can see circumstances where Iran is attacked but I doubt it would be just by the US, although led by them. That route needs to be avoided if at all possible though.

alfonsojose
12-13-2008, 04:30 AM

:eek: How could you? :tears: But seriously, sorry if i upset u Rrainer. Just kidding. A fellow Rainer fan deserves respect :hug: ;)

alfonsojose
12-13-2008, 04:32 AM
What happens in Africa is an embarrasment to all of us :o :tears: Animals are we. The others, victims are :(

alfonsojose
12-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Drunk sex?

alfonsojose
12-13-2008, 04:35 AM
If i'm not wrong i read something about mom and sis. Where's dad?

Stensland
12-14-2008, 01:09 AM
do you follow the juniors? if so, what players are you most looking forward to (apart from berankis as we already talked about him)?

scoobs
12-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Drunk sex?
Not a big fan - prefer a more sensual experience so being compos mentis is usually better.

scoobs
12-14-2008, 09:56 AM
If i'm not wrong i read something about mom and sis. Where's dad?
My mum and dad divorced when I was eight. My mum has remarried and I think of my stepdad as more of a dad. My real father is back in my hometown drinking himself towards an early grave.

scoobs
12-14-2008, 10:01 AM
do you follow the juniors? if so, what players are you most looking forward to (apart from berankis as we already talked about him)?
I'm looking forward to seeing Grigor Dimitrov and Henri Kontinen - I enjoyed the junior Wimbledon final this year and I will be interested to see how both get on in the pros.

Then there's Tomic of course, he's been talked about for ages and it will be fun to see what he does over the next few years.

Britain has some juniors I want to keep an eye on, including Marcus Willis, but who knows how they'll do. Also Filip Krajinovic of Serbia and Yang of Chinese Taipei.

JolánGagó
12-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Also Filip Krajinovic of Serbia and Yang of Chinese Taipei.

Are you sure he's from Taipei itself? The country name is Taiwan.

scoobs
12-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Chinese Taipei and Taiwan are the same thing, Chinese Taipei is the internationally accepted name, as I understand it. I'm not intending to make any political points.

JolánGagó
12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm not intending to make any political points.

But this "Chinese Taipei" is a political denomination imposed by China and only used in certain forums and events that both China and Taiwan attend... something like FYROM, politically correct lyngo for the use of bureucrats and politicians, bullshit in other words. The real name for the territory (politics appart) is Taiwan, even mainland China goverment refers to it as "Taiwan Province".

scoobs
12-14-2008, 10:28 AM
But this "Chinese Taipei" is a political denomination imposed by China and only used in certain forums and events that both China and Taiwan attend... something like FYROM, politically correct lyngo for the use of bureucrats and politicians, bullshit in other words. The real name for the territory (politics appart) is Taiwan, even mainland China goverment refers to it as "Taiwan Province".
When they play at the Olympics they play under the designation Chinese Taipei and that's what it lists against the players on the ITF website so that's the one I went with. That's all.

Clydey
12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Does my avatar make you feel nostalgic?

scoobs
12-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Does my avatar make you feel nostalgic?
Ahh one of the best swordsdogs in all of France :)

Jelena
12-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Chinese Taipei and Taiwan are the same thing, Chinese Taipei is the internationally accepted name, as I understand it. I'm not intending to make any political points.

The officially accepted name and the name that is to be used in official documents is Chinese Taipeh.

Stensland
12-15-2008, 10:03 AM
what's your investment strategy like? stocks, funds, gold, just a savings account?

Eden
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
1) You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?
2) What's your biggest regret?
3) What is the strongest opinion you hold?
4) What have you lost that you would most like to retrieve?
5) Have you ever had surgery?
6) Do you know where your family name originated from?
7) Were you named after anyone?
8) What's a word that you say a lot?
9) Favorite age you have been so far?
10) What do you think can Muzza achieve in his career?

scoobs
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
what's your investment strategy like? stocks, funds, gold, just a savings account?
At the moment I'm just saving - not in the mood for getting burned :lol: I don't have huge funds to play with as it is.

scoobs
12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
1) You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?
Hah. Wow - tough question. I think it would have to be the first world war. If you avoid that one, you likely avoid the second one as well. And collectively those have been the two worst episodes in human history, I would say.

2) What's your biggest regret?
I regret that I spent so much money in the late 90s and early 00s, and dug myself a hole it took a long time to get out of.

3) What is the strongest opinion you hold?
I'm very much a shades of grey person - I don't go in much for absolutes, but my opposition to the death penalty is firm and unshakeable.

4) What have you lost that you would most like to retrieve?
My naivité - I'm a regular old cynic these days. But I think innocence and optimism and naivité are good things in their proper place. I miss sometimes being able to see through the eyes of a child.

5) Have you ever had surgery?
A few minor operations when I was younger, nothing for ages though.

6) Do you know where your family name originated from?
I don't know where my family name on my father's side came from. On my mother's side it came from Poland with my grandfather.

7) Were you named after anyone?
No, I don't believe so - no other Chrises in our family.

8) What's a word that you say a lot?
I go through phases where I say one word or another a lot, especially curse words. At the moment I'm saying "bollocks" a lot, and calling people "you filth" when they get on my nerves :)

9) Favorite age you have been so far?
30. I don't think I've ever been as happy as I have been this year, in spite of having a lot of things going on, having to move twice, etc. It's been a rough year but I feel like I'm better equipped to cope with it than ever. I seem to get more content as I get older. At this rate I'll be in nirvana right before I die :)

10) What do you think can Muzza achieve in his career?
I think he's got a couple of slams in him, and possibly a brief stint at #1. I don't see him as a dominant player but one who can have his moments. I think with the level of dedication and determination he has, good things should come in the next few years if he can stay healthy. He's doing a brutal training regimen in Miami at the moment to get even fitter and stronger, even the thought of what he's up to makes me tired. He has that killer instinct, he wants to win everything he can, and I think that's half the battle.

Machiavelli
12-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I know it's scoobs topic, and i apologize in advance, but i had to say something about this:
I know this is Scoobs' to answer, but for the countries question, I think it's a matter of interest and cultural fads. I think sport is *too* important in Serbia and Croatia, to the detriment of artistic and intellectual pursuits. Note that other small countries like Armenia and Georgia are superb beyond their numbers in chess because that's the dominant fad over there. This is a bit like American black culture being almost entirely sports and entertainment focused (which is of course something open to only relatively few, although blacks excel in those two fields), so many blacks who aspire to that but can't make it end up losing out.

The Balkans,though i do not prefer to put Croatia in this part of Europe, because we are somewhere in between southern Europe(coastal part and Istria), middle Europe (zagreb) and the Balkans, but as a slavic country the main mentality and our history is strongly related to the balkan; the people who live on the Balkan (croats,serbs,bosnians) are extremely talented for all kinds of stuff, especially sports, and as we are all young countries and we aren't financial or military superpowers, sports,music and etc. are areas where we can keep in touch with the big guns, we are very proud people, though we dont have an infrastructure as Britain for example, but you can not compare Croatia with ex-soviet republics or other eastern european countries...

Generally when we talk about sports, there is a long tradition in this part of Europe, we were always good in football, basketball and tennis,(not to mention water sports or handball) that is just a fact...

I am not sure what people around Europe think when you ask them about Croatia, we are still not in the EU,but it is a political matter, we definitely belong there, I have been all around Europe, and I can assure you that the economical situation and life in general is way better in croatia then in the Baltic countries or for example Poland, Romania and Bulgaria not to mention (there are so many poor people there, and everything is so cheap, with 20 Euros you can be a king in Sofia for one day), we are years ahead of them, I may not be totally objective, but i was in Greece and Portugal for example, ain't that different to us, Zagreb is much cleaner then Athens or Lisbon, come and visit us sometime and you will see, especially the seaside, we have not so many fancy hotels, but the Cote d'Azur, the Balears or the Greek coast are no match to our coast,clear sea and 1000 islands...

Once again sorry scoobs, i was reading your thread, and i somehow got inspired, after reading a couple of your lines, you seem to me as a nice fellow.....

*bunny*
12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Nice to know more about you Scoobs! :hug:

Maybe I should have a look into Non-Tennis section more often.

Bibberz
12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
You said you spent a lot of money in the late 90s-early 00s. What were some of your more frivolous and regrettable expenditures? :p

scoobs
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
You said you spent a lot of money in the late 90s-early 00s. What were some of your more frivolous and regrettable expenditures? :p
Some of my frivolous expenditure I don't regret in the least, like the holiday to Australia, which was an amazing experience.

I probably could have gotten a still decent PC for less than the £2000 I paid for it back then. And the laptop too :help:

alfonsojose
12-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Would u buy this calendar?
http://www.gaysportsblog.com/2008/12/naked-gods-of-f.html#more

scoobs
12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Would u buy this calendar?
http://www.gaysportsblog.com/2008/12/naked-gods-of-f.html#more
Phwoar.

Damn right I would.

Some perfect hunks of manbeef there.

BTW, that Madonna quote in your signature is one of my own personal favourites.

Stensland
12-21-2008, 09:37 AM
why do you like madonna, scoobs? if i remember correctly you said you'd prefer her over some of the other popstars out there, like britney, which i don't understand at all - because britney's at least alive and not a stone-cold slut like madonna (and i mean that "stone-cold slut" literally and i'm sure about that).

opeth84
12-21-2008, 10:21 AM
I enjoy reading these in the spotlight threads. Which has been your favourite so far?

Do you watch most of tennis with friends/family/Alone?

Does your tennis obsession ever interfere with other things in daily life?

Any strange habits/rituals when watching tennis/tournaments?

alfonsojose
12-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Phwoar.

Damn right I would.

Some perfect hunks of manbeef there.

BTW, that Madonna quote in your signature is one of my own personal favourites.

Nice baby beef, eh :aplot:

:sad: That's the early 90s Madonna, her best era. No woman will be able to do that again. The sexual energy, the power, the control, even if others don't like it. Today bitches just shake their butts, zero agression, just be nice and ready to your man .. and what your record label asks :yawn: . The dominatrix in "Erotica" used guys as toys, not the opposite. Today, she's a Kabbalah granny with muscles, taking away money from 80s women and gays. She wasn't smart enough to mature gracefully *sigh* ROL was the last thing i admire from her. I can enjoy "Music" but it's just her recycling some of her 80s stuff with techno sounds provided by Ahmadzai.

scoobs
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
why do you like madonna, scoobs? if i remember correctly you said you'd prefer her over some of the other popstars out there, like britney, which i don't understand at all - because britney's at least alive and not a stone-cold slut like madonna (and i mean that "stone-cold slut" literally and i'm sure about that).
What I like about Madonna is that she's used the music system and mastered it - it has never mastered her, even in her darker moments. When she went through the backlash in the early - mid 90s with Erotica and the Sex book etc she never cracked or became a public mess. Britney couldn't handle it and she cracked up under the cold merciless gaze of the paps. Madonna said "fine, if you don't like it, fuck you but I'll do this my way and I won't give in to your demands to be what you want me to be - safe, respectable and uncontroversial."

I respect that she has accepted the celebrity system, flaws and all, and makes the best of it, gets what she wants out of it, and does very little whining when it's going against her. I admire that. Few people have been able to do that.

Purely musically speaking, Britney isn't a patch on Madonna anyway - Madonna's voice isn't fantastic but Britney's voice just grates on me - I don't like much of her stuff.

scoobs
12-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I enjoy reading these in the spotlight threads. Which has been your favourite so far?

Do you watch most of tennis with friends/family/Alone?

Does your tennis obsession ever interfere with other things in daily life?

Any strange habits/rituals when watching tennis/tournaments?

Probably GlennMirnyi - he's never short of an interesting thought when you're not talking about tennis. When you are, he can become very repetitive :)

I watch tennis alone. My bf is one of those annoying British people who watch tennis for 2 weeks during Wimbledon and then ignore it for the rest of the year with something approaching contempt :) We have heated discussions about that every year. He thinks grass is the only surface tennis is good on, I think he's an insular fool and it's nothing to do with grass and everything to do with being a British tournament. And, my religious following of the tennis season does get on his nerves, leading to frequent "not tennis on the tv AGAIN", "Oh stop whining" moments. Silly man. Why do I put up with him? :)

Tennis can get in the way, yes. Especially when it's in Australia or the USA. Cue sleepless nights and me on a short fuse until we're back on normal sleeping patterns :) Plus I wouldn't dream of taking a holiday away during a Grand Slam, and I've realised that I'm booked on a course during the coming Australian Open and I'm really fed up about it because it'll get in the way of me staying up all night to watch the tennis.

So yeah - paging sense of perspective to the Scoobs thread. :)

I don't really have any strange rituals, no. I occasionally provide my own commentary ("Well if you approach to his forehand of course you'll get burned you fool!") to the empty room but aside from that....

scoobs
12-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice baby beef, eh :aplot:

:sad: That's the early 90s Madonna, her best era. No woman will be able to do that again. The sexual energy, the power, the control, even if others don't like it. Today bitches just shake their butts, zero agression, just be nice and ready to your man .. and what your record label asks :yawn: . The dominatrix in "Erotica" used guys as toys, not the opposite. Today, she's a Kabbalah granny with muscles, taking away money from 80s women and gays. She wasn't smart enough to mature gracefully *sigh* ROL was the last thing i admire from her. I can enjoy "Music" but it's just her recycling some of her 80s stuff with techno sounds provided by Ahmadzai.

Where are the ones in control now? Madonna did what she wanted and took the credit or the blame. Who's out there now saying "take me as I am, a strong woman in charge of my own destiny, or fuck off?" but yet still savvy enough to know how far and fast to push it so she doesn't leave everyone behind. Madonna has a hard edge, and not to everyones' taste, but why has nobody followed in her footsteps? I don't get it.

I don't so much care for her recent music, although I liked Confessions... - Ray of Light was definitely her last major big deal album. However in terms of her Kabbalah muscle granny thing - I think, hey it's not what works for me, but more power to her - I give her credit for carrying doing what *she* wants to do and not giving a fuck whether I or others like it. I'm saying "cover your ass now love" and she's saying "nah don't wanna" and I'm saying "well okay then!" Why should she have to mature gracefully? If she wants to mature disgracefully then good for her! I just wish she'd stick out some decent tunes while she does it - Hard Candy did nothing for me, the lyrics were just so lame and cutesy.

alfonsojose
12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Where are the ones in control now? Madonna did what she wanted and took the credit or the blame. Who's out there now saying "take me as I am, a strong woman in charge of my own destiny, or fuck off?" but yet still savvy enough to know how far and fast to push it so she doesn't leave everyone behind. Madonna has a hard edge, and not to everyones' taste, but why has nobody followed in her footsteps? I don't get it.

I don't so much care for her recent music, although I liked Confessions... - Ray of Light was definitely her last major big deal album. However in terms of her Kabbalah muscle granny thing - I think, hey it's not what works for me, but more power to her - I give her credit for carrying doing what *she* wants to do and not giving a fuck whether I or others like it. I'm saying "cover your ass now love" and she's saying "nah don't wanna" and I'm saying "well okay then!" Why should she have to mature gracefully? If she wants to mature disgracefully then good for her! I just wish she'd stick out some decent tunes while she does it - Hard Candy did nothing for me, the lyrics were just so lame and cutesy.

The problem is she's not doing what she likes anymore. The Hard Candy thing is a woman looking for Hip hop guys and doing the things the mainstream does, duos with Justin Timberlake, Pharell or whatever and Timbaland, for God's sake. It's a desperate attempt to regain some traction in the U.S. market. And the videos, so boring. The usual diva butt shaking. Even after "Erotica" when she had to tone down and tried some hip hop, the result was BS, another great and underrated album. She still had control and you could feel the anger for the concessions, "thaks for being understanding" she says to Shep Pettibone in the credits of the album. She needed to move on. And the results were great : Secret, Take abow, Even Bedtime story didn't good on the charts but 15 years old later it sounds fresh and different. Even her "reinvention" thing. Ok, it was probably new haircut/style/producer but the producer was somebody relatively unkown. I enjoyed how she was able to amnipulate the media liek u said. Now, she's using the Like a Prayer cross in their tours. Again? That doesn't sound like "i don't give a fuck". It sounds more like "i have zero new ideas, or plans, or haircuts, or producers or whatever" i'm going back to do the same stuff". But hello, you're not 30 anymore. You're 50. It's not about looking her age. At 50s you already explored certain issues. Why not trying to write about that experience. Love, family, life at that stage instead of dancing on a car with Britney's ex :sad: :o

scoobs
12-21-2008, 01:53 PM
The problem is she's not doing what she likes anymore. The Hard Candy thing is a woman looking for Hip hop guys and doing the things the mainstream does, duos with Justin Timberlake, Pharell or whatever and Timbaland, for God's sake. It's a desperate attempt to regain some traction in the U.S. market. And the videos, so boring. The usual diva butt shaking. Even after "Erotica" when she had to tone down and tried some hip hop, the result was BS, another great and underrated album. She still had control and you could feel the anger for the concessions, "thaks for being understanding" she says to Shep Pettibone in the credits of the album. She needed to move on. And the results were great : Secret, Take abow, Even Bedtime story didn't good on the charts but 15 years old later it sounds fresh and different. Even her "reinvention" thing. Ok, it was probably new haircut/style/producer but the producer was somebody relatively unkown. I enjoyed how she was able to amnipulate the media liek u said. Now, she's using the Like a Prayer cross in their tours. Again? That doesn't sound like "i don't give a fuck". It sounds more like "i have zero new ideas, or plans, or haircuts, or producers or whatever" i'm going back to do the same stuff". But hello, you're not 30 anymore. You're 50. It's not about looking her age. At 50s you already explored certain issues. Why not trying to write about that experience. Love, family, life at that stage instead of dancing on a car with Britney's ex :sad: :o
Well there's some good points in there. But let's face it, at 50 what is she going to sing about that people are going to be interested in? The menopause? Hot flashes? The problems of keeping your skin firm and supple? It would be honest but does anyone honestly want to know? I mean, I wouldn't her getting a bit deeper than "hey baby you drive me crazy" etc but maybe she's just not that sort of person really.

To an extent I understand this "Hey I'm 50 and still switched on and relevant" thing she's trying. And in general, an awful lot of music these days is plagiarizing what's gone before - how much commercial stuff that's out these days is actually original? So much of it is sampled, covered, re-imagined or just copied. Madonna has rode the wave of trends right through her career, from 80s pop to 90s electronica to now we're into a R&B vibe which, it seems to me, is pretty much the dominant music style of the commercial market at the moment, especially in the US. It's not surprising that she's gone there. It's also not surprising that she doesn't have many ideas, because as far as I can see, few people do out there.

And to be honest, as much as anything else, maybe our tastes have changed as well and we're less receptive to the whole thing now.

alfonsojose
12-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Well there's some good points in there. But let's face it, at 50 what is she going to sing about that people are going to be interested in? The menopause? Hot flashes? The problems of keeping your skin firm and supple? It would be honest but does anyone honestly want to know? I mean, I wouldn't her getting a bit deeper than "hey baby you drive me crazy" etc but maybe she's just not that sort of person really.

To an extent I understand this "Hey I'm 50 and still switched on and relevant" thing she's trying. And in general, an awful lot of music these days is plagiarizing what's gone before - how much commercial stuff that's out these days is actually original? So much of it is sampled, covered, re-imagined or just copied. Madonna has rode the wave of trends right through her career, from 80s pop to 90s electronica to now we're into a R&B vibe which, it seems to me, is pretty much the dominant music style of the commercial market at the moment, especially in the US. It's not surprising that she's gone there. It's also not surprising that she doesn't have many ideas, because as far as I can see, few people do out there.

And to be honest, as much as anything else, maybe our tastes have changed as well and we're less receptive to the whole thing now.

Well, She can go deeper when she wants to : Oh father, Promise to try in like a prayer, Sanctuary, Love tried to welcome me in Bs, In this life, Rain in Erotica, etc. And jesus, Scooby, i think every stage of life offers an oportunity. What about a song about a 50 year old women married having an affair. Or susprised becuase she saw the 16 year old new neiggbor naked and that turned her on. Maybe dumb, unrealistic lines but a great source for controversy in videos, songs, etc. I don't buy the she's afraid 'coz she have kids stuff, she still grabs her crocht and wears almos nothing in ther concerts. And the R&B vibe. You have Kate Perry. I kissed a girl it's silly, unoriginal, et.c but it is not R&B and it's exatly what she used to do. It's harder and 50s, sure, and surely it won't be top five, but definitely she could have done more.
Back to Q&A, are u friends with your BF's ex :p ?

Stensland
12-21-2008, 02:15 PM
What I like about Madonna is that she's used the music system and mastered it - it has never mastered her, even in her darker moments. When she went through the backlash in the early - mid 90s with Erotica and the Sex book etc she never cracked or became a public mess. Britney couldn't handle it and she cracked up under the cold merciless gaze of the paps. Madonna said "fine, if you don't like it, fuck you but I'll do this my way and I won't give in to your demands to be what you want me to be - safe, respectable and uncontroversial."

I respect that she has accepted the celebrity system, flaws and all, and makes the best of it, gets what she wants out of it, and does very little whining when it's going against her. I admire that. Few people have been able to do that.

Purely musically speaking, Britney isn't a patch on Madonna anyway - Madonna's voice isn't fantastic but Britney's voice just grates on me - I don't like much of her stuff.

i think you're misjudging madonna completely and quite frankly, i find it astonishing to admire a machine like madonna that has managed to cut out everything human out of her life and merged the on-stage persona with her real life. why is that such an appealing thing?

madonna would've made love to a dog for a career back in the days, she sold out big time before people even noticed her; she's as emotional as a rock and as coldly-calculating as they come. how is that a character trait anyone should think highly of? as a business woman she's definitely amazing, that's true, and quite obviously the business never got the better of her. she never cracked, never waivered, took no shit whatsoever - as i said, like a machine.

britney however cracked - which is good. it tells me she's a human being, she lives through ups and dows, which is how life normally works. that's why i adore maradona for example in contrast to pele who's become a complete joke selling everything from viagra to frying pans, acting like the funny negro the marketing guys are lusting for day in day out. maradonna is real, pele will strip for money (be it just clothes-wise or soul-wise). now, obviously britney is nowhere near maradona, don't get me wrong, but at least she's taking the hits as they come. that doesn't say she's a weaker person than madonna at all, like you imply - it rather means madonna has died a long time ago, if she ever lived.