Why do you all bet? For fun or is it addiction? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do you all bet? For fun or is it addiction?

ketoklear
12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I bet on Rugby because it's a sport I love and it adds to the excitement of the sport. Most casual punters would agree. However can I ask why you all bet? So many of you seem to bet on so many different sports... do you honestly enjoy all these sports or do you enjoy the betting and not the sport itself? I think that can be extremely dangerous.

I know someone who began with MMA betting, and it resulted in him betting on anything and everything. It began with small stakes, but then grew and grew. He was earning for a while, but as the addiction took hold he lost control.

I think your betting forums are good, but they should feature a sticky offering help to those who may be in need or could be in need in the not so distant future.

Go to gambleaware.co.uk for help.

Iván
12-06-2008, 02:51 PM
As long as you gamble what you can afford to lose then its ok, the problems begin when you start taking out loans to gamble and asking people to loan you money to gamble.

Thats when the shit hits the fan and you need help, you realise its an addiction if it comes to that stage.

Bolar Bolabi
12-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Yep agree with Ivan. I gamble with what I can afford to gamble with. I don't borrow money or anything. I'm limiting my bets now as to what sport I bet on to make a huge profit. Next year, I think the only sport I'll be betting on is the Cycling. Concentrate on one sport that you know and bet what you can afford to lose is what will make you successful in the long run.

Bolelli Ultra
12-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Yep agree with Ivan. I gamble with what I can afford to gamble with. I don't borrow money or anything. I'm limiting my bets now as to what sport I bet on to make a huge profit. Next year, I think the only sport I'll be betting on is the Cycling. Concentrate on one sport that you know and bet what you can afford to lose is what will make you successful in the long run.

:)

Bolar Bolabi
12-10-2008, 04:29 AM
:)

For me it's the most profitable sport. The odds are good. I know the riders. Follow which riders are targetting which race.

At the moment I am working on a word document which has a shitload of information on races teams and riders are concentrating on. When the race comes around, look it up and see what you have.

ryan23
12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I bet for fun with the hope of making money, i work from home so without a few bets it can get very boring working from home, if i had a 9-5 in the office kind of job i would probably only bet on weekends/days of because i hate betting on something that i cant watch, the whole point of it for me is to have a bet and then enjoy watching the sport...

I would never do gambling full time to much stress plus i dont believe i'm good enough as Bilbo sais money management

ryan23
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
As long as you gamble what you can afford to lose then its ok, the problems begin when you start taking out loans to gamble and asking people to loan you money to gamble.

Thats when the shit hits the fan and you need help, you realise its an addiction if it comes to that stage.

Spot on

its.like.that
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Gambling has probably been the one thing that has kept me from beating up on inferior human beings in the past few years, and this in turn has kept me out of jail.

I must thank gambling.

Gambling brings families together.

Iván
12-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Lol Jimboooooooo

its.like.that
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Gambling is like a good woman.

Treat it badly and it'll keep coming back for more.

ketoklear
12-20-2008, 02:36 PM
But if you are constantly talking about it, then would you not class it as addiction. Some of you have over 20,000 posts in such a short amount of time.

And please don't view me as a troll, but I have seen what happens to people who become too addicted. It's scary.

jayjay
12-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Ivan, mate, can you lend me a tenner? Rachel Stevens is a banker to win Strictly, come on, just a tenner?

ryan23
12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Gambling has probably been the one thing that has kept me from beating up on inferior human beings in the past few years, and this in turn has kept me out of jail.

I must thank gambling.

Gambling brings families together.

Love it :yeah:

its.like.that
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
But if you are constantly talking about it, then would you not class it as addiction. Some of you have over 20,000 posts in such a short amount of time.

And please don't view me as a troll, but I have seen what happens to people who become too addicted. It's scary.

There is a direct correlation between the number of posts a user has and the amount they bet?

:scratch:

Are you an Oxford professor by any chance?

Iván
12-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Ivan, mate, can you lend me a tenner? Rachel Stevens is a banker to win Strictly, come on, just a tenner?

:lol::rolls:

Strictly wasnt good to me this year bro, that **** Tom fixed it.:ras:

ketoklear
02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I think some of you are fooling yourselves if you don't think you have a problem. Going by how many bets you talk about and posts you've made in the GAMBLERS LOUNGE (even if it's minimal amounts - which when you start earning bigger wages will mean increase in bet stakes) there is a definite problem somewhere imo.

Fine if you are talking about sport. But you are talking about GAMBLING YOUR MONEY CONSTANTLY. Can you not see this is dangerous and can only lead to problems further down the line? I know this doesn't apply to all of you, but for a lot of people I believe this to be true. I have seen what it does to people.

All I am saying is please be conscious of the possibility. If you begin loaning money from people (however much - it's all relative), if you are constantly betting/thinking about betting, if it's getting in the way of your job, then these are signs of a problem.

Would you agree with that last paragraph at least?

ivekinjo
02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Is this a trick question?

Everything you do in your life is a gamble, some just dont realize it, therefore human race is addicted to gambling.

Every single thing can be represented in odds, and you take those odds all the time.

ketoklear
02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Is this a trick question?

Everything you do in your life is a gamble, some just dont realize it, therefore human race is addicted to gambling.

Every single thing can be represented in odds, and you take those odds all the time.

Walking down the road is a gamble. Although you could say with 99% certainty you will make it down that road. Driving your car is a gamble, but your odds of making it are high.

Can you honestly say gambling on sport is that secure? If it were there would be no industry, people would not get in trouble doing it and lose their family/home etc.

Look, I like to gamble sometimes. I only gamble what I can afford relative to my income. What I am saying is that if you are doing this constantly and throwing your money away then surely there is a problem?

Just yesterday I saw someone throw away Ł2k on a 4/1 shot. And he could not afford to do that. All I am saying is keep your wits about you. This is money you are gambling with and I deal with these sorts of problems daily.

gamcare.com

ivekinjo
02-21-2009, 11:30 AM
You do get 1.01 shots in gambling thats your 99%

There are many things people do in life where they can get killed or loose lots of money or ruin lives etc with odds of 50% or less. Some do it more, some avoid those situations, some do it often. Its up to anyone to take his chances. No one got rich by going through life taking 99% shots. But its all to personal preference.

Regarding people having 40.000 posts on a gambling forum, are they more addicted than someone having 40.000 post on some mobile phones forum or some RPG or any other BS people spend their time on....

Most people are "addicted" to one thing or another.

ketoklear
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
You do get 1.01 shots in gambling thats your 99%

There are many things people do in life where they can get killed or loose lots of money or ruin lives etc with odds of 50% or less. Some do it more, some avoid those situations, some do it often. Its up to anyone to take his chances. No one got rich by going through life taking 99% shots. But its all to personal preference.

Regarding people having 40.000 posts on a gambling forum, are they more addicted than someone having 40.000 post on some mobile phones forum or some RPG or any other BS people spend their time on....

Most people are "addicted" to one thing or another.

There is a distinct difference to being addicted to something which involves gambling your livelihood and anything else.

Alcohol, drugs and gambling are three of the worst offenders. Ofcourse there are others. Ofcourse someone who can't stop seeking thrills from white water rafting/skiing/climbing etc may also have a problem. However that has less of a direct impact on your health, stability, friends and family than gambling/alcohol/drugs. If you can't see that then you are just deluding yourself in order to make yourself feel as if what you are doing is fine.

Bloodletting
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
of the 40.000 posts, 9.999 have the word "fix", other 9.999 "mug", 9,999 "choker", 9.999, "****".

the remaining 4 are "gsmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!"

ivekinjo
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
I think being addicted to world of warcraft is worse than all above :-)

Any addiction is bad, there are always problematic people but it is untrue that everyone involved in gambling is an addict or due to become one.

Bloodletting
02-21-2009, 12:03 PM
as for the topic itself, it seems that the one who made it discounts the possibility of making profit on the long run.

In this moment I do bet on a living in Chilean football, and have no shame to say it. In fact, is a shitload of work.

Addicted? For me the best weekends are the ones with FIFA matches (no league played). Sometimes it can be stressful

ketoklear
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM

But you have 28,000 posts in less than 3 years!!! How many posts per day is that? About 25? 25 posts per day? That is insane. Surely you would class that as an addiction.

There is someone else in this thread who has about 34,000 posts, but that was in five years.

I know places you can speak to - this goes to all of you. Just PM me.

NadalSharapova
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
i only bet when i feel there is a good value bet, sometimes i go through weeks without betting and it doesn't bother me. I only like to pick out profitable bets.

Nitefaery
05-01-2009, 11:47 PM
:haha: nearing 4,000 posts myself, call the clinic!

SpinLES
05-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Addiction

Thrasher
05-20-2009, 04:08 AM
I have a sickness.

RaghuBhai
05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
looks like u need some help...

ketoklear.....I also know places you can speak to - this goes to u only. Just PM me!!

NadalSharapova
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I do it for fun and to make money. Not addicted at all.