Highlights/Lowlights of the 2008 ATP Top Ten [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Highlights/Lowlights of the 2008 ATP Top Ten

sawan66278
11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Now that the tennis year has ended, I thought it would be fun to look at the highlights and lowlights of the top ten. I'll give one high and one low...and hopefully, everyone will follow my lead:

1. Rafa Nadal - Winning Wimbledon in the best match ever/Getting his rear end handed to him by Tsonga at the AO

2. Roger Federer - Winning the U.S. Open/Losing to Mardy Fish in straight sets in IW

3. Novak Djokovic - Winning the AO/He and the Crasstastic 4's "performances" at the AO, Monte Carlo, and U.S. Opens

4. Andy Murray - Defeating Roger Federer three times this year/Losing to Tsonga in the AO first round

5. Nikolay Davydenko - Winning the Masters Series Miami/Mug like performance in Masters Cup final againt Djokovic

6. Jo Tsonga - Ending the year at #6 in the world ATP rankings/Missing RG and Wimbledon

7. Giles Simon - Going undefeated against Roger Federer/Losing to Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 1-6, 1-6 in Monte Carlo

8. Andy Roddick - Getting engaged to an S.I. Swimsuit model/Failing to back up his "smack/trash" talk at the U.S. Open

9. Juan Martin Del Potro - Qualifying for the Masters Cup/Having Fat Dave criticize him on professionalism

10. James Blake - Defeating Roger Federer at the Olympics/Following up a victory over Federer with a choke (after having match points) against brainless cheater, Gonzo

Comments?

Sunset of Age
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM

1. Rafa Nadal - Winning Wimbledon in the best match ever/Getting his rear end handed to him by Tsonga at the AO

4. Andy Murray - Defeating Roger Federer three times this year/Losing to Tsonga in the AO first round

Comments?

I think Tsonga deserves a little more credit for these two victories than you seem to give him here, Sawan. Rafa's loss in the AO semifinals wasn't at all a disgrace/lowlight, nor was Muzza's defeat to him in the first round there either - Tsonga just played FANTASTIC, there, and it was with good reason that he ended up in the final. It was fully deserved.

*snowflake*
11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
The "best" thing Novak has done this season is losing in the 2nd round of Wimbledon. (Marat :worship:)

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2008, 09:10 PM
I'd presume JMDP's singles loss in the Davis Cup final is much more of a low point in his season than is being criticized by Nalbandian.

CooCooCachoo
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I think Tsonga deserves a little more credit for these two victories than you seem to give him here, Sawan. Rafa's loss in the AO semifinals wasn't at all a disgrace/lowlight, nor was Muzza's defeat to him in the first round there either - Tsonga just played FANTASTIC, there, and it was with good reason that he ended up in the final. It was fully deserved.

A low point is not the equivalent of a disgrace. The thread starter did not insinuate that Murray's 1R AO loss was a disgrace, nor that it was undeserved, but simply that it was perhaps the main low point of his season. And I would agree with that; for any Top 10 player, to lose in the 1R of a Grand Slam is a serious low.

Sunset of Age
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
A low point is not the equivalent of a disgrace. The thread starter did not insinuate that Murray's 1R AO loss was a disgrace, nor that it was undeserved, but simply that it was perhaps the main low point of his season. And I would agree with that; for any Top 10 player, to lose in the 1R of a Grand Slam is a serious low.

As much as I respect your opinion, I think losing from a player playing as well as Tsonga did at the 2008 AO is no low point at all. Just MY opinion. ;)

LinkMage
11-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Federer

Highlights: SF and Final of the US Open.
Lowlights: the rest of the season. :o

Kolya
11-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Djokovic was too good for Davydenko in the Masters Cup final. No need to be harsh :p

~*BGT*~
11-28-2008, 03:38 AM
8. Andy Roddick - Getting engaged to an S.I. Swimsuit model/Failing to back up his "smack/trash" talk at the U.S. Open

------------

Tennis wise, it would be defeating the top 3 all within a month. And, I don't remember any trash talk from Andy at the USO. :confused:

finishingmove
11-28-2008, 03:54 AM
fish was great in indian wells.

i'd say federer's low was the match in monte carlo against ruben ramirez hidalgo, even though he won it.

finishingmove
11-28-2008, 04:01 AM
blake losing 2 consecutive finals in the US&A :lol:

MIMIC
11-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Great thread :yeah:

I'm just to lazy to make a list right now.

j0ns
11-28-2008, 08:30 AM
9. Juan Martin Del Potro - Qualifying for the Masters Cup/Having Fat Dave criticize him on professionalism

I didn;t know about this, explain?

decrepitude
11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Nalby thought Delpo should not have gone to Shanghai but concentrated instead on the then upcoming Davis Cup Final.

Sunset of Age
11-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Nalby thought Delpo should not have gone to Shanghai but concentrated instead on the then upcoming Davis Cup Final.

Nalby should just mind his own business. :(

why,marat,why?
11-28-2008, 05:10 PM
The "best" thing Novak has done this season is losing in the 2nd round of Wimbledon. (Marat :worship:)

Word.

Havok
11-28-2008, 10:25 PM

------------

Tennis wise, it would be defeating the top 3 all within a month. And, I don't remember any trash talk from Andy at the USO. :confused:
He was probably referring to where Andy said that Novak had 383092734 other "injuries" aside from his real one during the USO. Mind you that wasn't "trash talking" that was simply stating facts. Everybody knows that Novak fakes tons of injuries, including Djokovic himself!

Why in the hell would Andy's highlights of the 2008 ATP Top Ten be something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with tennis. Retardation. As BGT mentioned, it should be the fact that he defeated world #1, 2, and 3 all within a short period of time.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Blake losing to Granollers in the Houston final.

~*BGT*~
11-29-2008, 03:41 AM
He was probably referring to where Andy said that Novak had 383092734 other "injuries" aside from his real one during the USO. Mind you that wasn't "trash talking" that was simply stating facts. Everybody knows that Novak fakes tons of injuries, including Djokovic himself!

Why in the hell would Andy's highlights of the 2008 ATP Top Ten be something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with tennis. Retardation. As BGT mentioned, it should be the fact that he defeated world #1, 2, and 3 all within a short period of time.

Yeah, I didn't consider that trash talk; that was just Andy failing at making a joke.

njorker
11-29-2008, 04:01 AM
3. Novak Djokovic - Winning the AO/He and the Crasstastic 4's "performances" at the AO, Monte Carlo, and U.S. Opens

Sorry, I didn't get the low point here...can some1 explain? :)

O-kay. Andy's highlight of 2008 was getting engaged to an SI model? Come on now. Give him more credit than that. Let's stick to his tennis career please.

~*BGT*~
11-29-2008, 04:07 AM
njorker -- the Crasstastic 4 is Djokovic's parents and 2 brothers. They behaved pretty badly this year :o

njorker
11-29-2008, 07:11 AM
njorker -- the Crasstastic 4 is Djokovic's parents and 2 brothers. They behaved pretty badly this year :o

Haha, thanks! Didn't know that's what Nole's family is called. :) Nole's pretty nice though when I met him. ;)

Levin
11-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Murray and Djokovic turning into the next top players was the highlight.

FedFan_2007
11-29-2008, 09:28 AM
The entire 2008 season was one big fucking disgrace for Federer.

Levin
11-29-2008, 09:36 AM
The entire 2008 season was one big fucking disgrace for Federer.
Face the truth, Federer is no more. It is time for u to jump on another bandwagon.

finishingmove
11-29-2008, 10:07 AM
:haha:

sawan66278
11-29-2008, 04:58 PM
fish was great in indian wells.

i'd say federer's low was the match in monte carlo against ruben ramirez hidalgo, even though he won it.

That WAS a very low point...true...another low point was the growth on his face of which there was no explanation.;)

Igaarg
11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Face the truth, Federer is no more. It is time for u to jump on another bandwagon.

We still have Federer, believe me, there is no need to jump anywhere

Snowwy
11-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Blake losing to Granollers in the Houston final.

That was expected, I dont think that many people were overly surprised

keroni
11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Rafa played ok at AO against Tsonga. Definitely not the lowest point.

The straight losses to Youzhny and Ferrero Rocher, or the loss to Seppi is worse.

Ouragan
11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
blake losing 2 consecutive finals in the US&A :lol:

Baldrick :D :worship:

On Blake: his low point could be failing to qualify for the MC by one single point.

DartMarcus
11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Lowpoints:
Federer - being beaten by USA (losing to fish,roddick,blake, almost losing to Ginepri and Reynolds)
Roddick - being beaten by entire serbia team (Djokovic + Tipsy + Troicki) and losing his GS record at RG(he`s had something like 28 straight slams)
Blake - failed to win a title
Djokovic - Davis Cup tragedy + losing to Anderson
Nadal - winning only 1 game versus Youzhny
Tsonga - being injured
Murray - mug perfomance in beijing
Davydenko - whole middle of the season