2009 News/Schedule Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2009 News/Schedule Thread

Deboogle!.
11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Time to start this I guess. We all know about the new coach and the :crazy: schedule but let's get it in a thread. He'll start at the $$$$$$$AbuDhabi$$$$$$$ exhibition Jan 1-3 and then with all those guys to Doha the following week. Maybe he will cut down on the optionals throughout the year..... then again that'd be the smart thing to do, right? :o

DartMarcus
11-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah Andy is getting older and balder, so he should concentrate only on GS and AMS. :)

tennis lover
11-26-2008, 04:37 PM
bring on 2009! :banana: the off season sucks. :awww:

tangerine_dream
11-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Andy to win AO, Wimbledon, and USO 2009. :rocker2:

Kate87
11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
so he doesn't want to play three matches before the AO, right? :awww: people at kooyong will be so happy :D

Tangy :rocker2:

tennis lover
11-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Andy to win AO, Wimbledon, and USO 2009. :rocker2:
why not RG? :awww:

Kate87
11-26-2008, 09:44 PM
RG http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4892/uunyqq5.gif

tennis lover
11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
looks like Doha is definite. http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/doha_federer.asp :p

tangerine_dream
11-27-2008, 03:29 AM
why not RG? :awww:
Yeah sure why not, Andy to beat Rafa in the final of RG 2009. :rocker2:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_wertheim/11/26/mail.bag/1.html

Random encounter with a tennis player

Gita Natarajan of Bridgewater, N.J.:

Location: Melbourne, Australian Open, 2008. It was a beautiful morning in Melbourne and I was among a few hundred adoring female fans watching Andy Roddick practice on one of the outside courts. Until that day, I had no idea what a huge female following Andy has in Australia. I stood patiently by the gate hoping he would come my way so I could get an autograph. I knew my chances were slim as the Australian women were dressed to kill! And the most entertaining part was a bevy of four young girls, dressed up as brides and in full bridal make-up holding on to a banner, "Andy, will you marry one of us?" You have to be in Australia to actually believe how much they love Andy down there.

Needless to say, when Andy was done, he packed his stuff, joked with the four brides-to-be and left by the other gate. Not to be outdone, the few hundred women and I ran after him. He just continued walking. I yelled, "Andy, I am from N.J. and I am here to watch you win!" He stopped, gave me the biggest smile ever and, yes, he autographed my giant tennis ball!

--------------

Andy to win AO 2009, do it for all your Aussie fans, Andy. :rocker2:

kaylee
11-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Awww that article should also go in the jerk thread. Yeah I agree with Tangerine.

Kate87
12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
:worship: (:retard:)

so it looks like Andy will really play an exho in Chile in April against Rios

http://deportes.tvn.cl/detalle.aspx?idc=268096&ids=14

this is the babel fish translation of the article:

Exhibition Titanes Marcelo Rios will be the rival of Andy Roddick in duel of the 7 of April. Marcelo Rios is in favor of these days led subjects like the birth of its new son and the development of its companies. Of tennis, little and nothing, except for its practices in the club Providence. That lethargy, nevertheless, will not be eternal, because the 7 of April of 2009 will have to the front rival assets, top ten and with new determination for the season that comes. One is Andy Roddick, American number of the eight world and owner of the most powerful serve of history. Why " Chino" and nonFernando González? The producer of the duel, Piero Zoffoli, of One Fashion Manegement, responds: " To Marcelo they want all it to see and many tennis players, even, have said that they would pay to see it in action. A success against Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras was everything (it announced yesterday that seniors in Wimbledon will play the category) ". Not only that, since there are two facts that ruined the duel between González and Roddick: the first national racket will be to that date playing in the circuit and, in addition, the option was not seen with good eyes face the American, because it is new pupilo of now the ex- technician of the one of the Queen, Larry Stefanki, which could generate something of " morbo". The relations between both players, in any case, are very good. " A-Rod" it will have one loaded agenda the day of the confrontation, that will count on a clinic for minors, a press conference, reunón with auspiciadores and the visit to a foundation. And its passage by to Chile will fulfill it accompanied by the model Brooklyn Decker, with that will marry the week following to the duel. The place of the exhibition not yet is defined, although it went ahead that it will gamble in field of cement and before 12 thousand people. Probable scene? The Movistar Sand, in the OHiggins Park. " Chino" it does not have a very good memory of the best North American player of last the six years. Twice faced that it (the both in 2001) lost: in the round of 64 in the Masters Series of Miami and the quarters of end in Washington. The serve of Roddick, by the others, generates great attention, considering that is the owner of the first more powerful service of history, with 249 kilometers per hour, the one that obtained in the middle of 2004.

Deboogle!.
12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't even know where to start, so I won't even bother. But glad to know that he's shaping his whole schedule around these cash cow exhibitions in the nether regions of the world. He never ever EVER has a right to complain about the schedule again, if he really goes to Chile in April, if it's really a week before his wedding (which would make his wedding during Monte Carlo :rolls: ), ever ever ever again.

tsurupettan
12-04-2008, 12:34 AM
:retard: :retard: :retard:

:o

Deboogle!.
12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
So Andy will start the new year on Jan 1 against davydenko, winner to play Rafa at this stupid $$$$$$exho$$$$$$$$

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081211/SPORT/338250012/-1/OPINION

Nadal and Federer kept apart in draw

Graham Caygill

* Last Updated: December 11. 2008 8:30PM UAE / December 11. 2008 4:30PM GMT

The schedule for the inaugural Capitala World Tennis Championship has been announced and has thrown up some tantalising clashes.

Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Nikolay Davydenko, Andy Roddick and James Blake make up the line-up for tournament which runs from Jan 1-3 at the Abu Dhabi International Tennis Complex at Zayed Sports City.

The action on New Year’s Day will see former US Open champion Andy Roddick take on the world No 5 Nikolay Davydenko in the opening match, which will start at 3pm.

That will be followed straight afterwards by Britain’s Andy Murray, who will be looking to build on a strong 2008 that saw him reach the US Open final and also triumph in three Masters events, as he takes on the American player James Blake.

The Jan 2 itinerary will comprise the semi-finals. The world No 2 and winner of 13 grand slams Roger Federer will compete against the victor of the Murray and Blake meeting in a clash that will begin at 3pm.

In the second semi-final, the world No 1 Rafael Nadal, who won the French Open and Wimbledon this year, will make his debut as he faces the winner of the clash between Roddick and Davydenko.

The winning semi-finalists will then compete on Jan 3 in the final, with the start time for that game being 5pm.

Tickets for all three days of the event are on sale at www.boxofficeme.com and are proving popular, much to the delight of tournament organisers.

“We are expecting a series of exhilarating matches,” said Peter Wilding, deputy chief executive of Capitala.

“Every seat at the ATP standard Abu Dhabi International Tennis Complex offers fantastic views so it’s not surprising that tickets are selling fast.

“This event is a unique opportunity to watch some of the world’s best tennis players compete in every match which is guaranteed to keep everyone enthralled from start to finish.”

blosson
12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
So Andy has set a date for his bwedding? I see. V interesting, Andy as a married man!

tangerine_dream
12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
So Andy's a buy in 2009. Or maybe they meant bye?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3759626&name=tennis
Forecasting the market for 2009

Andy Roddick: Buy
You might not want to pick Roddick as a long-term investment, especially since his current rank (No. 8) seems about right during these times of rising young talent. (It's tough to imagine Roddick edging out any member of the top four, barring injuries.) But in the short term, Roddick is due for some big gains. He has a new coach -- and an excellent one at that -- in Larry Stefanki. Coaching changes tend to energize Roddick, as we've seen from his runs following switches to Brad Gilbert and then Jimmy Connors. He also stands to gain a lot of points at the Australian Open, where he lost in the third round last year. He should flourish through the end of the U.S. hard-court swing in California and Miami.

Deboogle!.
12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.sindhtoday.net/south-asia/45486.htm
============
A highly motivated Somdev Devvarman, after a three-week training stint with American world no. 8 Andy Roddick, said he will be focussing on professional tennis more next year.
-------
The 23-year-old couldn’t stop raving about his training with Roddick at Texas, Austin where he stayed at the American’s house and was also tutored by his coach Larry Stefanki and fitness trainer Doug Preen. Somdev feels he has improved as a player after his stint with Roddick.

‘ We were initially supposed to work for ten days. But the first week went so well that we decided to extend it to three weeks. I was also recovering from an injury and having Andy’s coach and trainer around really helped. I got best of the facilities and my injury was gone in a flash, ‘ said Somdev who had trained with Roddick before in Washinton D.C. in August.

‘The focus was to improve small niggles. Like I was told that my feet are my biggest strength and how I can use them to bring more aggression to my game. We worked on my court position , decision making ability during the match and of course the serve.

‘I tried to learn his weapons- whether it was his big serve, his forehand or his athleticism. That is why he is a top ten player in the world, ‘ he said.
---------------

tangerine_dream
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=harwitt_sandra&id=3811213

Roddick's latest mentor the answer?

There was a surprisingly large group of art aficionados and sports fans crowding into the Wentworth Gallery at the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton, Fla., last month when Andy Roddick and his fiancée, model Brooklyn Decker, snuck in the back door. Roddick was in his former hometown -- he remains an occasional Boca resident -- to host his annual charity event and had hooked up with renowned artist Charles Fazzino to help his charitable efforts. Fazzino, a New York resident and frequent tennis spectator at the U.S. Open, created one of his famed three-dimensional works of art, titled "Match Point Andy Roddick," to be auctioned off during the charity weekend, and Roddick was at the gallery to unveil the painting.

"I've been watching Andy play at the U.S. Open for many years, and I thought it would be a good centerpiece between my artwork and his foundation, and so we got together and I created this to help them raise a lot of money," said Fazzino, explaining why he donated the artwork, which raised $17,000 at auction. "It took a few months to work on. The foundation sent me pictures and I got some off the Internet. I just wanted to make it complimentary, and I think his fans are going to love the piece."

The artwork is a collage of Roddick's career to date, and Roddick enthusiastically examined how Fazzino presented his subject's best career achievements.

"It's pretty weird," Roddick said. "It's kind of like a microcosm of my career. Honestly, I'm looking at it and I've forgotten about half of [my career], so looking back on it is kind of fun to see it all encompassed in a piece of art."

Before Roddick and Decker headed out for the evening, the 2003 U.S. Open champ visited with fans, then spent some time talking with ESPN.com.

The buzz around Roddick is the pairing with his new coach, Larry Stefanki. For Roddick, this is his latest coach in a series of recent mentors. But the overarching question is whether this combination can take Roddick to the next level.

Stefanki, who was still mentoring Chilean Fernando Gonzalez when Roddick showed interest, is confident he can assist the former No. 1 in becoming a more effective opponent against the elite guys -- Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray. And Stefanki strongly believes their partnership can deliver Roddick to at least one more Grand Slam victory.

The accomplished Stefanki's sterling reputation comes from his previous work with other top-10 players: John McEnroe, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Marcelo Rios and Tim Henman, in addition to Gonzalez.

"It was a big decision for me to leave Fernando, but I hadn't coached an American guy since John [McEnroe]," Stefanki said. "I'm almost 52, and I wanted to coach another American. And when I stop working with Andy -- which I hope will be in three, four years -- I plan on his being my last traveling coaching job. I want to move on to help with U.S. junior development. I'm not sure our young juniors have been getting the right advice, although I think -- with Jose Higueras now working with the USTA -- things will change."

For his part, Roddick seemed to give careful thought to picking Stefanki for the job. Roddick pointed out that his personal respect for Gonzalez was a factor, but Roddick also knew that Stefanki's contractual agreement with the Chilean was, at least technically speaking, only through March.

In the end, Roddick was convinced that Stefanki is the right person at the right time.

"There were a couple of things that were very appealing about him, one being the caliber of players he's worked with," Roddick said. "More importantly, the different styles he's worked with. He hasn't gotten pigeonholed into coaching one specific type of player. He's gone from working with Rios to Mac to Henman to Gonzalez to whomever, and I thought that was good.

"And also, he's dealt with a number of different personalities, and I think that's a good thing as well. He's passionate about the game, and I believe we both believe in hard work, so I'm excited."

Roddick's last tutor, the iconic Jimmy Connors, was the most prominent name among Roddick's impressive list of previous coaches -- Tarik Benhabiles, Brad Gilbert, Dean Goldfine and Roddick's brother John. But what Connors brought to the table -- an infectious enthusiasm for the game -- wasn't really what committed 26-year-old Roddick required.

"Andy is very self-motivated," Stefanki said after their first week of practice at Roddick's home base in Austin, Texas. "I was very impressed with his work ethic and determination. I've never seen a guy who's been on tour as long as he has with that much motivation."

Stefanki's approach to coaching should align well with Roddick's goal of finding the correct tactics for success. Stefanki will focus on making sure Roddick is prepared to challenge the best players effectively on the court.

Here's the lowdown: A guy who held serve 91 percent of the time in 2008 shouldn't have a puny winning break-point average of 35 percent for the year. Roddick must become comfortable in taking more risks with his return game as well as in approaching the net more often because he's unlikely to outpummel guys who are better equipped for long battles from the baseline.

"The top five players know how to exploit weaknesses in other players, and none of them have glaring weaknesses," Stefanki said. "Andy needs to learn how to create his opportunities. You have to decide the way you want to play, and for Andy I believe that has to be an attitude that, on his first shot on the ball, 'I'm going to attack.' Although I will say he has surprisingly good groundstrokes."

Despite winning three titles in 2008, Roddick admits he had a tough year, reaching only one Grand Slam quarterfinal, at the U.S. Open. And the end of his season came abruptly when an ankle injury forced him to withdraw midway through the year-end Tennis Masters Cup, a decision he based on looking ahead to 2009 and the first major, which starts Jan. 19 in Australia.

"I've really gotten a jump start on next year, and I'm excited to be prepared," Roddick said. "From May on, I just felt like I was playing catch-up and just going from the training table straight onto the court. Last year we had Davis Cup late, so it was hard to prepare. I'm looking forward to being ready and playing to my best level."

---

Andy Roddick of United States signs autographs during the Exxon Mobil Qatar Open Tennis on January 6, 2009 in Doha, Qatar.

tkgirl
01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Just got an email today that Andy has committed to Indianapolis this year.

Kate87
01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Just got an email today that Andy has committed to Indianapolis this year.

:D

No. 8-ranked Roddick returning to Indy Tennis Championships
By Mark Ambrogi
Posted: January 8, 2009

After a one-year absence, Andy Roddick will return to the play in the Indianapolis Tennis Championships in July.

Roddick, who captured Indianapolis titles in 2003 and 2004, is currently ranked No. 8 on the ATP World Tour.

“He’s a personality that is bigger than the sport,” tournament director Kevin Martin said. “People enjoy watching him and we enjoy the fact hat we have him.”

Martin said the tournament has been working hard on getting Roddick’s commitment because he is such a strong box office draw.

“The opportunity to win a third title and join Pete (Sampras) as the only three-time (Indianapolis hardcourt) champion would be so cool,” Roddick said in a statement.

Sam Querrey, ranked No. 36, previously committed to playing in the July 20-26 tournament at the Indianapolis Tennis Center.

Defending champion Gilles Simon has not yet committed.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090108/SPORTS/90108040/1004/sports

Roddick commits to Indy tournament
Last Edited: Thursday, 08 Jan 2009, 3:35 PM EST
Created On: Thursday, 08 Jan 2009, 3:21 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Andy Roddick has committed to play in the 2009 Indianapolis Tennis Championship Tournament.

Roddick, the No. 8 player in the world will attempt to capture his third championship title. Roddick won the tournament in 2003 and 2004.

"We are thrilled to have Andy return to Indianapolis and give fans a chance to see another year of world-class competitive tennis close to home," said Kevin Martin, Indianapolis Tennis Championships presented by Lilly Tournament Director.

The 26-year-old has been a crowd favorite since his first appearance in Indy when he captured the 2003 crown. With a championship in 2009, he could join tennis great Pete Sampras as the only other three-time Indianapolis Tennis Championships champion. Sampras won in 1991, 1992 and 1996.

"I am looking forward to returning to Indianapolis in 2009. I have great memories over the years of playing in Indy. There is a tremendous tradition of tennis in the city and overwhelming fan support. The opportunity to win a third title and join Pete as the only three time champion would be so cool," said Andy.

The Indianapolis Tennis Championships Presented by Lilly is a world-class ATP Tour event held annually as part of the Olympus U.S. Open Series. The event traces its roots back to 1920 and has hosted such notable players as Pete Sampras, Arthur Ashe, Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi, and Roddick.

The 2009 event will be held July 18-26 at the Indianapolis Tennis Center on the campus of IUPUI. Season tickets are now on sale and can be purchased by calling 800-622-LOVE. For more information, visit www.tennisindy.com .

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/Roddick_committs_to_Indy_tournament

Kate87
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
American Andy Roddick, winner of the past three Classic titles, opted not to play this time, but he is expected to also make a one-off appearance at Kooyong.

And Stubs is already arranging a hit for German Tommy Haas as a bonus for Kooyong fans this week.

"Haas will definitely have a match and I'm waiting on responses from Nadal and Roddick in relation to matches outside the format later in the week," he said.

"In the case of Roddick, ever since he made it known to me that he was going (to play) in the Middle East, he always had a reservation on what he would be doing this week, how he pulled up after Doha and how many matches he had and we would talk about something before the Open down here."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24904914-3162,00.html

Deboogle!.
01-12-2009, 01:58 PM
:scratch:

kaylee
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
ummm I thought he was missing Kooyong! I agree Deb!!

Deboogle!.
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
He is missing it. Sometimes players will do a one-off there to get another match. But andy's (obviously:bs: ) reason for not wanting to play there was not wanting to play too many matches..... if he played a one-off, that'd make 7 :rolls:

Kate87
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
:eek:

Slimmer Roddick weighs his chances

Monday 12 January 2009
By Jerry Magee

Coming soon to tennis courts everywhere: a trimmer Andy Roddick, with his forehand stance less wide, his steps shorter and his balance improved.

"I really think he can win a Slam,” said Larry Stefanki.

Stefanki is responsible for Roddick’s changed profile. For 30 years, he has coached some of the leading figures in the men’s game, including John McEnroe, Marcelo Rios and, most recently, Fernando Gonzalez, and now, at Roddick’s bidding, he has begun counseling the ranking American.

Stefanki’s first judgment: that Roddick was too big through a 2008 season when he failed to capture a Slam, had his ranking drop from No. 6 to No.8 and was outplayed by, among others, Robin Soderling, Gael Monfils, Tomas Berdych, Viktor Troicki, Juan Martin del Potro, Marin Cilic, and Janko Tipsarevic, all ranked below him.

According to Stefanki, Roddick at his suggestion had lost 13 pounds before Stefanki left his home in the San Diego County community of Olivenhain to join Roddick for the events preceding the Australian Open.

“He has said to me, ‘I haven’t been at 190-195 pounds in five years,’ “ Stefanki said, “and I said, ‘And what happened then?’ “

It was in 2003 that Roddick achieved his only Grand Slam triumph in the US Open.

Stefanki began his association with Gonzalez in May 2006 by also suggesting that the player lose weight. “I think it helped him immensely in the beginning, but the problem with Fernando was getting him to sustain,” Stefanki said.

Stefanki said he still was under contract to Gonzalez when Roddick contacted him following the ATP Tour’s season-ending championships in Shanghai to inquire if he might be available. “I felt I had gone the distance with Fernando,” said Stefanki.

In his arrangement with the volatile Chilean, Stefanki said there was a clause that permitted either party to break off the agreement. Stefanki said he had three preliminary conversations with Roddick, finally advising him, “Don’t call me unless you want me to coach you.”

Roddick did call. By Stefanki’s account, he wanted to begin working with Stefanki immediately following the conclusion of the competition in Shanghai.

“He is doing everything he can; he works extremely hard,” Stefanki said. “In that area, he is in the Jim Courier class.”

Stefanki has made some determinations concerning what has been at the source of Roddick’s trials. One is that the American has lost a good deal of the zip with his forehand because his feet have been too widely spaced.

“Tennis is a ‘landed’ game," explained Stefanki. "You have to react primarily with your feet. Roger Federer is best at that."

Stefanki said he further is desirous of Roddick taking smaller steps on the court. "He has not been comfortable coming forward because he has been off balance," the coach said. He noted that Roddick's head is too far forward when he goes toward the net. He is not approaching the net as much as stumbling toward it.

Roddick also must focus on returning serve more consistently, in Stefanki's thinking. His percentage in this phase dropped off to 29 per cent a year ago after once standing at 48 percent. To Stefanki, returning so poorly has taken away some of the advantages relating to Roddick holding his own serve 91 percent of the time.

At home in San Diego County, Stefanki has three children. He has traveled many miles in tennis. "I really don't want to do this for the rest of my life," he said. "This is my last gig, so to speak."

Roddick's association with Stefanki represents a possible new start for him. An old coach and a player in the midlife of his time in tennis. Ready, play.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2009-01-12/200901111231642539946.html?promo=rss

Deboogle!.
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
*sigh* every time we see all these "right" things it makes it harder and harder to believe something will actually change :awww:

arodfanpe666o
01-13-2009, 08:04 AM
This is so right. I watched today his match vs Agassi in Cincy '04, and can't see Andy playing like this anymore...

tangerine_dream
01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
"Andy Roddick is a practicing pagan who drinks the blood of newborn babies." — Jon Wertheim, SI.com

:spit: :rolls: :haha:

tennis lover
01-17-2009, 01:45 AM
:speakles:

Kate87
01-26-2009, 08:20 AM
no, this cannot be true :haha:

Tennis: Roddick will be main drawcard at ATP Tour event
By : Ajitpal Singh

AN ATP Tour event is set to be played in Kuala Lumpur in September and World No 9 Andy Roddick, the 2003 US Open champion, is among the players likely to play in the event most likely to be held at the National Tennis Centre (NTC) in Jalan Duta.

Lawn Tennis Association of Malaysia (LTAM) president Datuk Abdul Razak Latiff, who confirmed this, said the ATP Tour high range event is expected to attract some of the top names.

"An ATP official, together with a foreign organiser, visited the NTC about two weeks ago and were happy with the facilities. However, they want the indoor stadium to be ungraded," said Abdul Razak yesterday.

"The stadium needs to be upgraded into a 3,000 seating capacity arena and it must be fully air-conditioned with proper lighting.

"The event, if everything goes well, will be held at the end of September. The total prize money will be released soon."
The NTC has hosted several world class competitions the last being the ATP Challenger event in 2007.

Abdul Razak said Roddick has intentions to feature in Kuala Lumpur. The American's appearance will likely be the selling point of the event.

Roddick, presently playing in the ongoing Australia Open where he reached the quarter-finals yesterday, is known for his powerful first serve and aggressive baseline game.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2463297/Article/index_html

Winston's Human
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe Andy is planning to use this event as a warm-up for the Shanghai Masters tournament in mid-October?

Deboogle!.
01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: no comment :haha:

kaylee
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Oh lord this guy really needs a scheduler!!!!

tennis lover
01-26-2009, 04:06 PM
:scratch: another tournament in September? :o Andy, you have enough money already! :sobbing:

heya
03-08-2009, 01:22 AM
http://www.thetennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=4234
Fat ass Andy last year.
I bet he didn't want to admit how unfit and emotionally corrupted he was (both self-hurt and bad mistakes other people did to him).

knew he had blown that fourth set, and realized he had not broken Tipsarevic in the entire match, failing to exploit eight break point opportunities in the process. He was forthright in conceding that his nerves had cost him dearly on this occasion. "Any chance I got, he said, "I pretty much just choked it...I could sit here and dance around it all night, but I mean you guys watched it. It was what it was. It's like you want something so bad you almost squeeze too tight."

That was irrefutably the case in his downfall against Tipsarevic. Coming into the tournament, Roddick seemed to have the best chance of anybody outside the "Big Three" (Federer, Nadal and Djokovic) of capturing the title. He had, after all, beaten all three of those players during the 2008 season. He had reached consecutive Wimbledon finals in 2004 and 2005, losing to Federer on both occasions. He surely felt good about his chances a few months ago after playing his way into impressive early season form.

But Roddick's preparation for Wimbledon was damaged by a shoulder injury he suffered in Rome, where he reached the semifinals. He had to pull out of Hamburg and missed the French Open. He played well at Queen's Club, but an injured Mardy Fish retired after the first set of a round of 16 meeting with Roddick, and Andy Murray had to default against him in the quarterfinals. So Roddick, who lost to Nadal in the semifinals, did not get quite as much out of Queen's as he might have wanted. A few more sets at that tournament would have toughened him up significantly.

To be sure, Roddick's preparation for this Wimbledon was disrupted. But the fact remains that it will be no facile matter for this man to reemerge on a major stage. He triumphed at the 2003 U.S. Open and finished that season deservedly at No. 1 in the world, ahead of the Wimbledon champion Federer. Roddick concluded 2004 at No. 2 in the world, slipped to No. 3 in 2005, and finished the last two years at No. 6. That is evidence of his enduring status as a front line player, but it is also proof that others have overtaken him.

Roddick took on the issue of his future with absolute honesty in his post-match press conference after his bruising defeat against Tipsarevic. He said, “By no means am I going to complain about anything I have been blessed with, but it's almost at the point where I win another Slam or what? It’s a tough thing to deal with. Either you win a Slam or what, you're disappointing? You kind of have to deal with that every day."

He elaborated when asked about perhaps putting too much pressure on himself to win a second Grand Slam title. Said Roddick, “I’m gonna have pressure on myself regardless. And it’s not from anybody, it’s from within. You know, I want to win another Slam. I could probably coast and not train and be a top 10 player and kind of have a cushy lifestyle and be set for as long as I need to be set for. I’m happy as I can be away from losing tennis matches. But I don’t know if that appeals to me. I don’t know if I’m satisfied with that...I want to win another Slam."

It won’t be easy, and he fully understands that. Roddick’s serve remains one of the primary weapons in the sport. He is a big, strong guy, a fine athlete, and a very industrious individual who works his rear end off. And he is a terrific competitor. His heart is immense, and his tenacity is extraordinary. In turn, he had expanded his game decidedly across the years. Although his volley - especially the forehand volley - will always be somewhat suspect, he is willing to come forward and he can attack surprisingly well in some contests.

And yet, Roddick is surpassed from the back court by too many adversaries. Tipsarevic sparred with him comfortably in all of the rallies, and was always the first to take a slight risk, changing the direction of the exchanges by going down the line off the backhand. That match was symbolic of many Roddick encounters in this respect: he will chase down balls relentlessly, give little away, and look for an opening to attack. But his ground game is not penetrating enough. His two-handed backhand is essentially flat but not piercing. And his forehand is nowhere near as explosive as it once was.

Be that as it may, I still think Roddick has an outside chance to break out of the "one Slam wonder" club which includes Goran Ivanisevic, Michael Chang, and Richard Krajicek. None of those players finished a year as the best in the world, or ever resided at the top. And it is worth remembering that Roddick has been a stalwart Davis Cup competitor who was the “main man” when the Americans won the Cup in 2007.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
WTF? :haha:

Andy Roddick Personalized Gifts at Great Friends Greetings
Imagine receiving a beautiful greeting card from Andy Roddick, personalized just for you.

Andy Roddick has joined with Great Friends Greetings and is now featured in the company's line of top quality custom printed greetings. Andy Roddick's greeting cards, which make great gifts, are available exclusively at www.greatfriendsgreetings.com.

The cards, from Andy, are designed and personalized by customers specifically for their recipients.

A perfect gift for youth players and fans of all ages, and a great way to express good wishes. Great for birthdays, congratulations (nice going), good luck (encouragement), get well and holidays. The cards are beautiful one-of-a-kind keepsakes that will be saved and displayed for a long, long time, and are likely to outlast most other, pricier gifts.

At Great Friends Greetings, Roddick joins an exciting and eclectic roster of stars that includes fellow tennis stars Justine Henin and Vera Zvonareva, soccer legend Kristine Lilly, softball star Jennie Finch, gymnastics icon Shannon Miller, Olympic double-gold medalist LaShawn Merritt and country recording star Collin Raye.

heya
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
AS I mentioned, Andy wants to be mama's saint boy. Too bad he didn't become an actor
instead of a clown tennis player. That face and smile alone, make him better
than Brad Pitt Clown.

kaylee
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
OMG "thud"

Deboogle!.
03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Andy Roddick & Michael Tolcher Team Up

Tennis champ Andy Roddick makes a guest appearance in singer-songwriter Michael Tolcher’s new “Speed Feels Better” music video.

“I stalked Michael until he let me into the video,” Roddick joked to JustJared.com. “But no, Michael was nice enough to play a charity event of mine a couple years ago, did a great job, so when he asked if I could be in the video I jumped at the chance to be here and repay the favor.”

Also featured in this video are some sports greats: swimmer Amanda Beard, football player Barry Sanders, figure skater Kimmie Meissner and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Rick Ankiel.

_GP_Z-7BKkw

kaylee
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
This is a nice song!

otowngurl86apa
03-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I've been listening Tolcher for years... so strange to see Andy is his video! But so excited about the new songs :)

tsurupettan
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice song. :D

heya
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/11496933
New ATP head looks to expand tour's appeal
March 13, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

Share this page.

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- The new head of the ATP Tour wants to broaden the appeal of men's tennis, while acknowledging the weak global economy has impacted the sport.

"I know there is a thought that the sport has not necessarily commercialized its appeal to the extent that it could, and I'm hopeful we can do better in that regard," Adam Helfant said in a question-and-answer interview posted on the tour's website on Friday. "That's a real opportunity for us, obviously tempered by the economic climate."

Helfant, a former Nike executive and lawyer for the NHL, was hired in January to run the men's pro tour.

Without going into specifics, Helfant said the tour was feeling reverberations from the financial crisis.

"Any discussion on challenges and opportunities has to start with the global economic situation, which has an impact on virtually everything. We are certainly not recession proof, and we're monitoring the effects on our tournaments in particular, and seeing how it is affecting fans' habits," he said. "We know it's had a big effect on hospitality and the sponsorship environment is very different."

tangerine_dream
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
:cool:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_2646.asp
POPULAR RODDICK TOPS ONLINE CHINESE POLL

http://www.atpworldtour.com/common/Photos/NewsArticles/roddick_chinaopenbeijingt08.jpg

American Andy Roddick has defeated strong competition from ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal and former World No. 1 Roger Federer to be crowned the Sina.com’s favourite male tennis player in China for 2008. Sina.com is China's No. 1 news website.

Roddick has confirmed he will return to the 2009 China Open at the Beijing Olympic Tennis Center in October, in order to defend his title. The ATP World Tour 500 tennis tournament forms a part of the Asian swing, which culminates at the Shanghai ATP Masters 1000 presented by Rolex.

Last year Roddick donated $50,000 to the Chinese Tennis Association to be used for the reconstruction of tennis courts and facilities in the earthquake hit Sichuan province.

Roddick was shocked but honoured to receive the award and said that he was looking forward to playing in the China Open later this year.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
what a kerj.

tsurupettan
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Aw. :D

heya
03-22-2009, 08:55 AM
With coaches, Blake, Roddick take different paths to success http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2009-03-12-blakeroddick-coaches_N.htm
By Douglas Robson, Special for USA TODAY
Since turning pro within a year of each other nearly a decade ago, Andy Roddick and James Blake have become friends and travel partners, shared Davis Cup duties and carried American hopes on their backs.

But the best male players of the current generation have taken a radically different approach when it comes to the voice in their ears.

Since joining the circuit in 2000, the cannon-serving, forthright Roddick has engaged no less than seven coaches on a part- or full-time basis. Blake, who spent two years at Harvard before jumping to the pros in 1999, has had one.

"I've always said about tennis, it's a very individual sport," 13th-ranked Blake said in a conference call last month. "What works for one will never work for another."

"I don't think it was a conscious decision or anything I set out at 18 years old" to have so many different voices over the course of the career, Roddick says. "I don't think it's something that you can generalize."

Roddick began his 2009 campaign with new coach Larry Stefanki, a former pro and veteran coach who has worked with a number of top players. Stefanki replaced Jimmy Connors, who Roddick parted ways with last spring.

Blake is in Indian Wells with Brian Barker, the only coach he has had since age 11.

Blake is much more the exception than the rule. Most players switch coaches throughout their playing days as priorities change and relationships become stale. Compensation, travel and logistics also play a role.

Finding the right mix can be tricky, as Roger Federer learned last week. The Swiss No. 2 could not come to terms with former pro and ESPN commentator Darren Cahill after inviting him for a trial run to his second home in Dubai last week. Cahill, with two young children, didn't want to travel as much as Federer required.

Both Americans say there are pros and cons to their different approaches.

"For me, I would not be nearly as successful with someone that didn't know me as a person, and know my strengths and weaknesses on the court," says Blake, who at 29 has finished in the top 10 two of the last three years.

Roddick joked that mimicking Blake would "require me finding a coach that could put up with me for nine years."

Blake praised Barker for knowing the nuances of his game and for being as much friend as mentor, as when he supported Blake through his comeback in 2004 following a broken neck, the death of his father and a vision-blurring disease.

"I credit him with making me the best player I can possibly be, and absolutely maximizing my potential," says Blake, adding that "we are going to be friends for life, that's not even a question."

"One of the things that makes our bond strong is that there have been so many ups and downs," Barker says.

Former No. 1 Roddick, 26, likes to pick the brain of some of game's best minds, and it has often paid quick dividends.

He rode his early association with Brad Gilbert in 2003 by storming through the summer hardcourt swing and winning the U.S. Open. He has also started strong with Stefanki, reaching the Australian Open semifinals and winning last month's indoor tournament at Memphis.

"There's been a couple of times in my career where it's really jump-started my playing just by having a fresh voice," Roddick says.:o

The downside is the getting-to-know-you process, along with periods of transition.

"Obviously, continuity is a good thing, and there have certainly been times where I've been without someone or in transition and you're just kind of trying to make due," Roddick said.

With 37 titles and a Davis Cup championship between them, the two Americans must be doing something right, even if they have chosen opposing coaching paths.

"If he had the same coach the whole time he wouldn't be as good as he is, said Blake of Roddick. "If I had changed coaches, the way he has, I wouldn't be as good."

heya
03-26-2009, 06:07 AM
http://www.blongerbros.com/genealogy/
Andy's great-great-grandfather is Michael Belonger.
http://www.blongerbros.com/genealogy/michaels_family.asp

http://www.blongerbros.com/genealogy/michaels_family.asp#frances

Deboogle!.
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
:haha: :haha:

Roddick to play Indy Tennis Championships
By Mark Ambrogi
Posted: April 19, 2009

The Indianapolis Tennis Championships often doesn’t determine its match schedule until the night before the matches.
Advertisement

But tournament director Kevin Martin is already planning ahead for the July 20-26 tournament at the Indianapolis Tennis Center. Martin announced today that two-time Indianapolis champion Andy Roddick will open play in the featured evening match on July 21.

Martin said this will help fans to plan ahead to see fan favorite Roddick play.

The session will be called Andy’s Day.:haha: :haha: It will benefit Andy Roddick Foundation, which was set up by Roddick and his mother, Blanche, to help children improve their educational and economic opportunities.

“We are very excited about working with the tournament to make Tuesday night (July 21) a successful evening of tennis and fundraising,” Roddick said in a statement.

“Our foundation is dedicated to brightening the future of children. We see this as perfect opportunity to make an even bigger difference for those in need.”

Spectators with the name of Andrew or a derivative of the name will get in free with a photo ID. :haha: :haha:

Sale of specially designed T-shirts, which benefit the foundation, also will be available for purchase that day.

tennis lover
04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
:o :lol: that's a bit sexist, not going to find many females called andrew! :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
04-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Andrea, maybe? :haha:

tsurupettan
04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
:lol: What the... oh the ways Andy ends up raising money for his charity. ;) Andy Day. At least it's all for a good cause.

heya
04-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Senile mom strikes again. :spit: Who cares about winning?
We cure cancer, even after we die young Andy! :yeah::haha::o

MissFairy
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Spectators with the name of Andrew or a derivative of the name will get in free with a photo ID. :haha: :haha:
:rolls: That is the most random incentive ever :haha: It's nice of them to support the foundation, but letting Andys in for free?!? :lol: What about Blanches? Poor Ma Roddick.

Deboogle!.
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
:haha: :haha: It reminds me of a hotel I stayed in in Italy. It's the Hotel David, and they had on their site that if your name was David you got a 5% discount on your stay, or something like that :haha:

MissFairy
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
:rolls: That's crazy! Maybe that's where they got their idea?! It's a pretty strange way to drum up publicity. Although at least it makes a BIT of sense, it'd be worse if he had a random name, like Nikolay day or Novak day. How many of those are there in Indiana?

Deboogle!.
04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: Probably not so many :haha:

heya
04-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I know how you feel, Andy:
If you're not in the top 2 like your hero Agassi, you shouldn't show up. The honesty from you is legal. You don't have to lie every time you speak just to look humble! *pats you on the head

Let it go. You know the reasons for losing, Andy.
I'm yawning...Hopefully, Verdasco overtakes you and I'll watch your face when you're ranked #90 like Safin did.
Poor coach Larry. Another useless assignment. :sad::wavey:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7959937.stm
"I'm excited about my prospects this year," said Roddick.

"To be honest I haven't played my best tennis at Wimbledon over the last couple of years. This year I'm playing better and moving a little bit better."

tangerine_dream
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
TR.net:

Rumors have been circulating in the industry that Andy Roddick and his agent, BEST tennis president Ken Meyerson, have left the company to join Team Lagardere (which Roddick already has a patch deal with), but Meyerson says that at this point, he's happy where he’s at. However, there appears to be something to the rumor and Meyerson did admit to having some 'high-level' discussion with some other BEST executives over the matter. Word has it Lagardere represents a bunch of French players, including Richard Gasquet and Alize Cornet, is intersted in buying BEST's tennis division.

Deboogle!.
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Matt Cronin? spreading a completely unsubstantiated rumor? I'm absolutely gobsmacked.

tangerine_dream
04-29-2009, 04:39 PM
:haha:

Deboogle!.
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
:angel:

heya
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Rumors are harmless compared to the utter money-obsession and mindless cowardice coming from the unbelievably deeply-troubled Roddick Team/family. Trainwreck Andy, join a circus. At least pinheaded clowns don't look disturbing to each other.

tangerine_dream
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
:)

On this day in sports history.....

Andy Roddick: A Sporting Gesture
Posted by Randy Walker • May 5th, 2009

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/3886

Andy Roddick may have performed his best act when he married Sports Illustrated model Brooklyn Decker last month, but his act of sportsmanship at the 2005 Italian Open would rank high as well. The following excerpt from the May 5 chapter of the book ON THIS DAY IN TENNIS HISTORY ($19.95, New Chapter Press, www.tennishistorybook.com) details what happened.

May 5

2005 - Andy Roddick performs one of the greatest gestures of sportsmanship on a tennis court when he overturns an apparent double-fault - that would have given him the match - and eventually loses to Spain’s Fernando Verdasco 6-7 (1), 7-6 (3), 6-4 in the round of 16 of the Italian Open in Rome. Roddick is leading 5-3 in the second set and has triple match point with Verdasco serving. Verdasco’s serve appears to land just wide and is called out by the linesperson. Roddick, however, says the ball was in after checking the mark on the clay court and concedes the second serve ace to Verdasco. “I didn’t think it was anything extraordinary,” says Roddick. “The umpire would have done the same thing if he came down and looked. I just saved him the trip.” Famed American sports journalist Frank Deford say on National Public Radio of the gesture, “In one moment with victory his for the taking - no, not for the taking - is given, is assumed, Andy Roddick went against the way of the world and simply instinctively did what he thought was right. Once upon time we called such foolish innocents sportsmen.”

Deboogle!.
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
*faint* cronin actually got a rumor right.....

BEST Expected To Announce Agreement With Lagardere Unlimited

By Liz Mullen, Staff Writer, SportsBusiness Journal
Blue Equity Sports Television (BEST) is expected to announce as early as today an agreement with French conglomerate Lagardere Unlimited in which BEST Tennis President KEN MEYERSON will join Lagardere and take his top client, ANDY RODDICK, with him. As part of the agreement, BEST will work with Lagardere on projects, including producing tennis events in the U.S. The deal comes after Meyerson repeatedly told SportsBusiness Journal that he was not leaving BEST over the last several weeks. Speculation about a deal between Lagardere and BEST has been rampant in the tennis industry for months. Meyerson could not immediately be reached for comment. Roddick has an existing endorsement deal with Lagardere in which he wears the company’s logo on a patch on his shirt. Under the terms of the deal, JOHN TOBIAS, a rising tennis agent who counts MARDY FISH and BOB and MIKE BRYAN as clients, will be promoted to the position of BEST Tennis President.

mattcronin
05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Now do you want to give me comprehensive list of things I've reported that were wrong?

tangerine_dream
05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Matt.

American men continue to come up short on clay (http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/9537212/American-men-continue-to-come-up-short-on-clay)

Can you please find a new subject to discuss other than this one that's been beaten to death? It's the same stuff every year (not just you but other tennis writers too) and it's gotten beyond boring. Thanks. :wavey:

mattcronin
05-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I know it's an annual piece that gets boring, but that's what the U.S. bosses want prior to RG. Plus, I thought Vahaly was pretty good. You know what's really getting boring -- writing about Rafa dominating on clay week after week. I talked to Kuznetsova today and am writing the women for next week for Fox. Suggestion for the next guy's piece RG preview piece?

tangerine_dream
05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
From your article, Brian Vahaly: "Just to have one guy in the Round of 16 would be a major victory. Really, even one guy in the third round would be nice."

FYI, Robby Ginepri made the fourth round last year.

I know it's an annual piece that gets boring, but that's what the U.S. bosses want prior to RG.
:banghead: But why? The constant negativity about the Americans is so grating. I'm sorry if this generation is no "greatest generation" but they're not as bad as the media has portrayed them over the years. Sometimes I wonder if all this being drilled into their heads every year actually affects their performance.

Paul Annacone said the same thing about Federer now having to deal with negative press and how it may be affecting him:

"You're in that same press conference over and over again. 'When are you going to win again?' 'Are you a step slower?' 'Now that you're married, are you thinking about stopping?' Negative questions every week. I don't care who you are, it's going to affect you. It might not be much, but that 2 percent can make a difference. "

You know what's really getting boring -- writing about Rafa dominating on clay week after week.
Talk up Murray's chances then. :p

Suggestion for the next guy's piece RG preview piece?
Murray. It's all about Murray now. http://i14.tinypic.com/6o2uxpk.jpg

mattcronin
05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't know if it's consistently negative -- look at how much great press Roddick has received this year, even though he's still a step behind the Big 4 (with the exception of Novak). I've been in a lot of press conferences where US guys get their butts kissed even if they aren't playing well. As much as I like him, Annacone is dead wrong when it comes to Rog, as there are so many journos who worship him and tell him that. Plus, Federer runs a pretty tight ship when it comes to answering questions.
This generation has one terrific competitor, Andy, one good but not great player, Blake, and three underachievers in Fish, Ginepri and Dent. It's simply not that impressive of a generation.
Murray is a good idea if he does well in Madrid, which I expect him too.

Kate87
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
:eek:

(with Google translator: )

Open 500 Valencia confirmed Murray, Roddick and Verdasco and negotiates with Nadal

David Serrahima, executive director of the Valencia Open tennis tournament 500, to be held from 2 to November 8 in the Agora of the City of Arts and Sciences, confirmed the recruitment of 'top-ten' Andy Murray, Fernando Verdasco and Andy Roddick and noted that negotiations are held with Rafa Nadal.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2009/06/04/valencia/1244108886.html

Marion29520
06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Is it still a clay tournament?

Deboogle!.
06-04-2009, 02:08 PM
No it's indoors now. Good stuff :yeah:

Deboogle!.
06-06-2009, 06:14 PM
you can listen to andy on jonathan ross's radio show this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00ktrjx he comes on near the end of the show around 2:40, it's pretty funny :lol:

kaylee
06-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks Debs I missed this due to being at work!

tangerine_dream
07-07-2009, 10:48 PM
That's our boy. :cool:

http://blog.tennisindy.com/blog/indianapolis-tennis-championships

Roddick's success at Wimbledon triggers spike in Indy ticket sales
July 6, 2009
by Brandon Moore

INDIANAPOLIS – The top American men’s tennis player in the world has committed to play his opening match at the Indianapolis Tennis Championships Presented by Lilly on July 21, but today it is Andy Roddick’s Wimbledon performance that has caused a spike in ticket sales for the annual Indianapolis event.

As of 11 a.m., Monday’s ticket sales through Ticketmaster were 115 percent higher than the total Ticketmaster sales for Friday, July 3. Compared with last weekend (June 27-28), overall Ticketmaster sales from this weekend were up more than 300 percent, and box office sales by 11 a.m. on Monday were more than 50 percent of June 29’s entire-day total despite the fact most ticket inquiries and sales come in the afternoon and evening hours.

“This became a very hot ticket on Sunday when Andy nearly beat Roger,” Tournament Director Kevin Martin said of Roddick’s five-set loss to No. 2 Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final. “Our fans come to the tournament to see great players, and on Sunday, Andy proved once again he’s one of the greatest players in the world.”

While tickets are selling fast for Roddick’s guaranteed opening match on Tuesday’s Rockin’ with Roddick Night, his potential second-round match on Thursday, July 23 is also netting increased calls that lead to ticket sales. Traffic to the tournament’s Web site, tennisindy.com, was up 115 percent from Saturday to Sunday, and the visitors were spending more than 12 percent longer at the site than the previous day. Incoming phone calls and e-mail inquiries were also up more than 100 percent for the weekend.

The Indianapolis Tennis Championships will be held July 18-26 at the Indianapolis Tennis Center on the campus of IUPUI. Tickets for the Championships are still available and can be purchased online at tennisindy.com or by calling 800-622-LOVE as well as through Ticketmaster.

The Indianapolis Tennis Championships Presented by Lilly is a world-class ATP Tour event held annually in Indianapolis and is a part of the Olympus US Open Series. The event traces its roots back to 1921 and has hosted such notable players as Pete Sampras, Arthur Ashe, Jimmy Connors and Andre Agassi. For more information, please visit www.tennisindy.com.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Biofile: The Andy Roddick Interview
By Scoop Malinowski
8/14/2009 8:48:00 PM

Andy Roddick was nine-years-old when his parents gave him the most memorable birthday present of his young life — a trip to the US Open. Sitting high in the stands, a small speck in a sea of faces, the boy who made the trip to New York from his home in Austin, Texas set one goal for himself that day — to move down to a better seat that would take him closer to the action.

His first trip to Flushing Meadows saw Roddick scamper down from the upper deck to find a seat closer to the court.

Twelve years later, he navigated a reverse route.

Slamming three consecutive aces to finish the final with a flourish of pyrotechnic power, the fifth-seeded Roddick rolled to a 6-3, 7-6(2), 6-3 victory over Juan Carlos Ferrero to claim the 2003 US Open crown in his first Grand Slam final. Then, the 21-year-old who was once a fan scampering over the cheap seats, broke down the barrier between athlete and audience with a modified crowd surfing move.

Climbing up into the stands, high-fiving fans along the way, Roddick reached the friend’s box where he embraced his family, friends and then coach Brad Gilbert.

That Sunday afternoon in New York City nearly six years ago still says a lot about who Roddick is today.

Observers are often quick to point out what Roddick hasn't got — he doesn't have the superlative shotmaking skills of World No. 1 Roger Federer (who does?), he doesn't cover the court as quickly as Rafal Nadal (who can?), he doesn't display the innate feel for the game of Andy Murray (short of analyst John McEnroe, not many do), he is not as athletically gifted as the rest of the top 5 and his defensive skills, while much improved, will never match Novak Djokovic — but what Roddick does have in abundance is the determined desire for self improvement (and willingness to do the lung-scorching work of court to make it happen), the ability to share both his struggles and success with crowds — Roddick is one of the most expressive players in the top 10 — and the grit and stubborn self belief that powered that anonymous nine-year-old kid from the nosebleed seats so high up in the stadium he could have hit the hovering blimp with a loopy lob had he chose to a starring role on the game's most prestigious stages.

Now a 26-year-old newlywed, Roddick no longer spends his nights with his nosed pressed in his Game Boy video game. Roddick is smart enough to understand that all the spin that occurs off the court as everyone from media en masse to fans on message boards to a Texas mailman suggesting a change of shirts may have made the difference in the gut-wrenching Wimbledon final loss to Roger Federer can slap labels on him like a carnival worker stamping temporary tatoos on a class of school kids, but they aren't his defining moments. He has the power to define himself through his competitiveness and conduct and Roddick has done just that throughout a season you might view as a career Renaissance (without the complete coronation of the Wimbledon title that slipped away), but that he sees as another step forward in his maturation as a man and his continuing evolution as a more complete player.

A refreshing thing about Roddick in this age of feigned blissful ignorance where many players profess to intentionally ignoring their press coverage is that he's up front about the game that goes on after the match — that ongoing rally between player and media in which both sometimes spar trying to define a match and its potential career consequences —and can challenge it at times.

"I think during my career I've kind of been portrayed as every single type of person: good, bad, ugly, you know, rude, nice, you know," Roddick said earlier this week in Montreal. "This is kind of the first time it's been presented in a light that's kind of the hard-working, kind of everyday-Joe-type tennis player trying to make good and, you know, all the while the meat and potatoes of who I am has probably stayed the same. I think people maybe realized it's not easy and it does take work. I think, you know, I think they realize that there has been a lot of time put in and, you know, definitely an effort to try to do the right things out there."

Whether you enjoy Roddick’s brand of bold power-based baseline tennis or not, you have to respect the deep desire he brings to the court every time he competes. The effort evident in Roddick’s 130 mph searing serves, those desperate dashes across the Centre Court lawn in pursuit of shots, his guttural grunts and sweat soaked shirt and the class he showed in enduring a brutal defeat have earned Roddick the respect of some of his staunchest skeptics.

The problem Roddick faces in Federer is the supremely-gifted Swiss is so special he can make the toughest shot look easy, whereas with Roddick you see the wheels churning in the machinery. But watching him work to figure out solutions, fine-tune his game and show clear signs of progress — from the touch he displayed around net in beating Murray 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(7), 7-6(5) in the Wimbledon semifinals to the backhand, once a liability, he boldy hit up the line to victimize Federer and win the opening set of his 7-5, 6-7(6), 6-7(5), 6-3, 14-16 loss to Federer in the final — are some of the reasons why Roddick matches have become must-see TV during this US Open Series.

Roddick isn't the best player in the world, but he has become of the most fascinating ones. At a time where players can be carefully packaged like commodities, Roddick has actively served as an agent of his own change. And one of the top storylines of the US Open will be in seeing how Roddick picks up the pieces from the Wimbledon trauma in July and tries to put it all together in Flushing Meadows before a crowd that figures to be immensely supportive for one of its own.

He successfully made the journey from the cheap seats to the championship round of majors, can Roddick make that final climb required to master another major? He meets the fourth-seeded Djokovic in a quarterfinal clash in Montreal tonight continuing his quest to reach his third consecutive final.

Scoop Malinowski, who has endured his own competitive highs and lows playing tournament tennis at the National Tennis Center (Scoop is currently ranked career-high No. 4 in the USTA Eastern 35s) caught up with Roddick for this Biofile interview.

Childhood Heroes: "When I first got into tennis — Edberg, Becker and McEnroe. Then when I first started playing all the time, I looked up to the whole group of Americans — Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Courier, Todd Martin, David Wheaton — I loved all those guys."

Nickname: "A-Rod."

Hobbies/Interests: "Go out with friends on my boat. Jet ski. Poker. I love playing golf and basketball. Hang out with friends. Pool. Photography. And I'm really into music too. Burn CD's."

Funny Tennis Memory: "When I was growing up, we had this rebound net in our garage that I played on. And I used to pretend I was playing McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Lendl — three out of five sets. My mom would come out and ask me the score. And I'd be like, 'I'm winning.' She'd be like, 'Oh, that's impressive.' So that was my big thing when I was little. Playing with that rebound net and being in my own little world [smiles]."

Pre-Match Feeling: "I'm pretty relaxed before. I don't try to get too up or down before 'em. Just kind of hang out with my coach, just kind of us two. He will feed me — remind me of this and that. I try to put the same amount of effort into any tournament I play. Just try to focus on winning one match at a time."

Favorite Movies: "American Pie, Austin Powers II." :scratch:

Favorite TV Shows: "Lost. My Name Is Earl. I love My Name Is Earl. Don't know if it's because I get the trailer park humor since my parents lived in one before they got married, but I think the show is hilarious."

Musical Tastes: "I have everything from country to rap to heavy metal to everything. I'm into everything...Nelly, Dixie Chicks, Tupac, Cold Play, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Metallica, Maroon 5, Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer."

Favorite Meal: "Meat and potatoes."

Favorite Breakfast Cereal: "Cocoa Puffs."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "Cookie dough."

First Car: "1996 red Chevy Blazer."

First Job: "Tennis."

Greatest Sports Moment: "Tough one. I'll say winning the U.S. Open was a really good feeling. Match point, when I looked over to my family and coach and I realized it was over and I had done it. Any time you win a Grand Slam, it's something to be proud of."

Most Painful Tennis Moment: "Yeah, I got tagged in doubles with an overhead in the place where it hurts a little more than the other places [smiles]. I was like 14, at a local tournament in Florida. I had to go sit down for like five minutes."

Closest Tennis Friends: "A lot of the Americans — James Blake, Mardy Fish, the Bryan brothers."

Funniest Player(s): "Mardy Fish is a pretty funny guy."

Toughest Competitor(s) Encountered: "I'm (2-19) against that guy Federer."

Early Tennis Memory: "The one match that really got me really into tennis, where I actually sat down as a little kid for three, four hours without wanting to get up and do something else, was when Chang beat Lendl in the 1989 French Open quarters. He was cramping, hitting underhand serves, all types of stuff. After watching that match, you sometimes got the feeling (that) all you want to do is go out and hit tennis balls."

Childhood Dream: "When I decided I was going to turn pro my goals were — win the U.S. Open, be No. 1 in the world, win Wimbledon and be a part of a winning Davis Cup team. I've gotten a couple, I've come close to a couple."

People Qualities Most Admired: "People that start with little in life and achieve something. People like that. My parents were like that. They didn't start out with much when they got married. They didn't have a lot financially or socially. They worked their way up. When they first got married, they lived in a trailer home. My dad was in the military. They ended up owning about 25 Jiffy Lube stores in Nebraska and Texas."

Selby
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Yay Andy likes My Name Is Earl too :banana:

knight_ley
08-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Andy's gonna be on Letterman on August 27th. :)

oside
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
The Open can't come soon enough. Gonna be rockin for Andy...

Eden
08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Roddick Keeps Moving Forward

DEUCE
by Joel Drucker

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/BE3C5050D1C247868156D1C86A9513D7.ashx
Andy Roddick is one of only two players, along with Roger Federer, to rank in the year-end Top 10 since 2002.

Andy Roddick might have spent almost one decade in the spotlight, but the American remains enthusiastic about the sport, driven to improve and determined to land another Grand Slam title.

There had been many losses leading up to this one. A year earlier at the same place he’d suffered one that left him wondering at age 25 if the whole tennis life was worth it. But for Andy Roddick, no defeat was as distinctive as this year’s Wimbledon final. For four hours and 16 minutes he’d gone toe to toe with Roger Federer. He’d held four straight set points for a two sets to love lead, seeing the last evaporate when he missed a seemingly benign backhand volley. Not until he was serving at 14-15 in the fifth did Roddick buckle.

“It’s evolving how I’m feeling about it,” Roddick told me last month. “The first couple of days it was tough to look at objectively. There were easier losses to deal with. Having been that close, thinking how that changes the dynamic of my career if I win. But it’s not one of those things where I could beat myself up for not putting in the effort.”

Hours after the final, as Roddick sat in his home in the Wimbledon Village, his Davis Cup captain, Patrick McEnroe, dropped by. Well aware of how his older brother’s popularity had been aided by an epic loss to Bjorn Borg in the 1980 Wimbledon final, McEnroe says, “I told Andy he made more fans and earned himself more respect for that loss than he did with any win. The average fan saw from him the competitiveness I’ve seen from him so many times, for so many years. What the fans also saw was the maturity of his mind, of his body, of his spirit.”

If those qualities haven’t always been fully appreciated, surely they’ve always been present. Like most of us, Roddick takes two views of himself: eternal and dynamic. According to Roddick, “The meat-and-potatoes of me hasn’t changed. But aren’t most people more mature at 27 than 21?”

Roddick will turn 27 the day before the start of this year’s US Open. While he’s correct in assessing matters of emotional growth, what’s also true is that by age 21 most people aren’t millionaires, the best in the world at a childhood passion – and by dint of all that success, compelled to come of age in a fishbowl.

Says Roddick, “I’ve been portrayed as every kind of character. When I was young, I was the future great American, the polite kid from Nebraska. Then the crossover guy who was on ‘Saturday Night Live.’ Then you’re a punk, then you’re a has-been, then the comeback, then irrelevant, then Joe Everyday.”

As McEnroe notes, “It’s a lot to be the number one American. To have come in after the greatest generation was going to be tough no matter what kind of player you were. But when you see Andy’s numbers and consistency over the years, it’s impressive.” Only Roddick and Roger Federer have held spots in the year-end Top 10 since 2002.

But there’s no question that the last few years have been a time of soul-searching. Having reached at least one Grand Slam semi every year since 2003, in ’08 the best Roddick could muster was a quarter-final showing at the US Open. Those efforts at the majors were but a symptom of a man aware he faced a crossroads.

In the fall of 2008, Roddick and his then-fiancée, model Brooklyn Decker, took a hard look at the state of this tennis – even contemplating the notion of retirement. Says Roddick, “At the end of ’08 it was a little bit frustrating. I was in and out of health and had some okay results, but not that great. I was closer to the outside of the Top 10 than on the inside. But I didn’t want be the guy out there just collecting paychecks. So you either play it safe – or try to make something happen. The latter won out.”

The biggest step was getting Larry Stefanki on-board as his coach. Says McEnroe, “Larry tells it to you right between the eyes: good, bad or indifferent. He puts it out there.”

Having worked with a variety of coaches, including Jimmy Connors, Brad Gilbert, Dean Goldfine, his brother John, Patrick McEnroe and Tarik Benhabiles, you’d think Roddick had heard enough coaching verbiage to fill a library.

But in retrospect, all prior to Stefanki was incremental; useful, yes – jarring, no. And Roddick at the end of ’08 was a man in search not just of new ideas, but of big ideas. “Emotionally it was tough,” says Roddick. “You’re battling how much of the results are based on not being healthy, or is it self-belief and have I lost a step? You love to take the side of health, but you’re trying to figure out what’s what.”

Never reluctant to offer a recommendation, Stefanki gave a blunt one to Roddick: lose 15 pounds. Certainly Roddick had always been fit, the result of his own strong work ethic, including frequent off-court workouts with Austin trainer Lance Hooten.

It wasn’t just that dropping weight helped make Roddick more nimble around the court. It was the very process of shedding the pounds and committing to both himself and Stefanki’s belief in him that instilled Roddick with a new kind of confidence – a belief that even past the likely halfway point of his career that he can make radical changes in the pursuit of excellence. Says Roddick, “The toughest days are when it’s 30 degrees outside and I’m on a football field, doing workouts with Lance and a bunch of other guys – baseball players, martial artists, football guys.” As Stefanki told Tennis Channel’s Steve Flink shortly after he started working with Roddick, “I have never seen a guy who is willing to work harder than Andy. If he keeps getting sounder, which I believe he will, good things are going to happen for him.”

Coming into this year’s US Open, Roddick feels he’s playing some of his most sustained, consistent, quality tennis. Says McEnroe, “He goes in with a legitimate shot. No one would have said that in January. But he’s played that way into the top four or five.”

In large part, Roddick’s maturity has most surfaced in his understanding of his game. Never fully comfortable as a flashy shotmaker, netrusher or highly-defensive player, Roddick has worked to alter his court positioning, to appropriately stand closer to the baseline and become what you might call an air-tight grinder with a big serve and a willingness to strike big when the opening is there, most often with his forehand but also on the backhand side. One of the key principles Connors learned from his mother and coach, Gloria, is relevant here: Smother them with footwork. To some degree Roddick’s application of this concept began during his 18 months with Connors, but this year such factors as improved movement and the relentless engagement of Stefanki have greatly accelerated his growth.

Another new element in Roddick’s life was his April marriage to Decker. “Not much has actually changed,” says Roddick. “We wanted to commit to each other. And we knew that career-wise, for both of us, the next four to five years were going to be about kicking butt where it needs to be kicked.”

The year Roddick turned nine, his parents gave him the birthday present of a trip to the 1991 US Open. Joking about the impish boy who snuck into the player’s lounge, Roddick now says, “I don’t have to sneak in anymore. But I wasn’t a kid who expected to be a pro, certainly not at that age. Now, of course, I completely understand the process, the importance of training, of nutrition – and a good idea of what I need to do to improve. That certainly hasn’t always been the case.”

He will continue to be the Andy Roddick the tennis world has known for a decade – driven, emotional, ready to verbally counterpunch if necessary. As an athlete he knows that history is largely written by the winners, in tennis particularly by those who rack up multiple Grand Slam titles. But even if his Wimbledon effort proved that in some way history can also be written by the losers, there’s much more he hopes to accomplish. “Trust me,” says Roddick, “I didn’t walk off Centre Court smiling. You ask yourself: sulk and feel sorry. Or you pick it up and move forward. Moving forward is just my nature.”

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-US-Open-2009/Andy-Roddick.aspx

tangerine_dream
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Andy at the 10th Annual Taste of Tennis.

Slideshow: http://www.examiner.com/x-6611-College-Tennis-Examiner~y2009m8d29-Players-join-the-mixing-at-Taste-of-Tennis

tsurupettan
09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Murray's gonna be at Andy's charity event this year (along with Serena, Shahar, and Gimelstob -- so far). Hmm, interesting pick with Murray. If I had the time I'd try and go if only for the possible lulz-worthy interactions between Andy and Serena.

Deboogle!.
09-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Smart Andy, going after the Jewish population :angel:

I believe Murray lives at least part-time in Florida now, so it's not a huge surprise

tsurupettan
09-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Really? Didn't know that (him possibly living part-time in FL). Oh, as for my comment, I meant it more along the lines 'cause I don't think Murray is all too interesting (though when compared to the likes of Serena and Andy it'd be easy to get overshadowed). :tape: I hope it's not a flub with him like at AAKD... I'm a bit optimistic, though -- it'll be with a smaller crowd and Andy's attention will be more focused on him to engage him than it was at AAKD with Kenan and the two Will's.

Deboogle!.
09-14-2009, 05:48 PM
I think Murray was a bit overwhelmed there, I'm sure he'll be fine at Andy's charity event. And it's a big name so it's certainly good for the event

kaylee
09-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Andy M has a very dry sense of humour but that could be fun!

tsurupettan
09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I figured Murray caught some nerves during AAKD (whether it was the crowd, the occasion, etc I dunno, but I def. sensed he maybe was a bit unsettled). And it probably didn't help much when the other four people he shared the court with seem to have stronger personalities just at face-value. But like I mentioned, smaller crowd with Andy's event and Andy will be able to focus more attention on Murray than how it was at AAKD, so pretty hopeful for at least some good stuff.

Speaking of bringing some light to the event by bringing in a big name, I wonder how it would've been if Andy had gotten like Marat (it'd be a pretty good deal considering people would want to get some more watch on him this year). :lol: Though, it's moot since... actually, well, does Marat even really do these kind of [personal] player charity events? :scratch:

tangerine_dream
09-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Kanye Interrupts Roger
http://kanyegate.tumblr.com/post/188261932

Deboogle!.
09-16-2009, 03:17 AM
LOL :sobbing:

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, he just tweeted it :sobbing:

tsurupettan
09-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I :lol:'d, then I :awww:'d.

:awww:

Deboogle!.
09-23-2009, 12:25 AM
:lol: from mindykaling's twitter

"andy roddick came to set and i thought it was seann william scott. naturally i thought, how can i monetize this misunderstanding? Biopic!!"

tangerine_dream
10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
TWEET:

James Blake will host exo (w/Andy Roddick) to support cancer research @ Memorial Sloan-Kettering, Dec. 1, @ Pier 94 in NYC.

I am there. :woohoo:

*edit*

TWEET:

andyroddick: we have agreed that we can sell each other out to twitterverse one time a month on the first of every month w/a fun fact

andyroddick : for example @brooklynddecker used to practice kissing on a taylor hanson poster hung up on her wall when she was 10

brooklynddecker: @andyroddick couldn't go to sleepovers until he was 10 years old because of his bedwetting.

andyroddick: @brooklynddecker ouch.... not sure if this was a good idea hahahahahaha!!

:haha: :rolls:

partygirl
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
TWEET:

brooklynddecker: @andyroddick couldn't go to sleepovers until he was 10 years old because of his bedwetting.
Oh...He was one of those kids.:baby::hysteric:

Kate87
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
LMFAO

Guess who is the 35th Most Influential Man of the world according to AskMen?! :spit:

Why he's No. 35

Andy Roddick knows a thing or two about making a racket. One of the world’s most outspoken athletes, this brash Nebraskan has become famous for his on-court tirades and McEnroe-esque meltdowns.

A-Rod doesn’t just talk the talk; he also walks the walk. Since turning pro in 2000, he has won a staggering 505 matches and 27 singles titles, including his career-defining Grand Slam championship at the U.S. Open in 2003. His epic battles with Swiss sensation Roger Federer have also created a big stir, with many of their hard-fought matches appearing on the world’s biggest stages.

The talented pair treated fans to an especially exhilarating match in the Wimbledon championship final on July 5, 2009. Although Roddick ultimately lost the entertaining contest, he did push Federer to the limit and, in doing so, established a new record for number of games won in a Wimbledon final at 39. He also proved himself to be a gracious competitor, as evidenced by his heartfelt address to the crowd afterward. Roddick is currently ranked fifth in the world behind only Federer, Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic.

He may not have won at Wimbledon, but Roddick certainly had a winning year as far as his personal life was concerned; on April 17, 2009, he married the stunning Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker.

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_49/andy-roddick-35.html

and wtf is he doing ahead of hubby?!

tangerine_dream
10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
How the hell does Andy get a B- for his twittering skills while the dreadfully dull Murray gets an A-? Murray speaks English and yet nobody can understand what he's saying. :silly:

James Martin gets an "F" for this dumb article. :p

http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=187410

Andy Roddick
Twitter.com/andyroddick

For someone with such an explosive, high-energy game, Roddick’s Tweets seem to be more appropriate reading material for insomnia sufferers. Blame his coach, Larry Stefanki. The man has A-Rod in the gym and on the track virtually non-stop. It might eventually help Andy bag that long-coveted second Grand Slam, but it’s killing his chances of becoming a professional Tweeter. “Gonna cruise out to find a track.” “Morning! Heading to the track in a bit.” “Worked out all day long….already in bed and dead tired.” “Got kicked off of the track at Austin high today.” “Found a track and didn’t get kicked off….Life’s little victories.” This is not the stuff of Twitter magic. But, be fair to Roddick, there are some nuggets of interest. Each month, he and his wife, Brooklyn, agree to share one revealing fact about each other. Andy on Brooklyn: she “used to practice kissing on a Taylor Hanson poster hung up on her wall when she was 10.” Brooklyn on Andy: He “couldn’t go to sleepovers until he was 10 years old because of his bedwetting.”
What we learn….

It’s not so much what we learn about Andy as what Andy teaches us: “Playing scrabble on my phone and apparently ‘poo’ is not in the dictionary.”

Grade: B-

oside
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Hell, I would think 35 is pretty good, except that he's only one spot ahead of Georges St. Pierre. Ten down from Mark Ronson, who has his own line of Gucci sneakers. Nice little commentary about Andy, but a pretty dumb list...

tangerine_dream
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
More revelations from the Andre Agassi biography (someone posted in GM):

"He describes rival Pete Sampras as one-dimensional, "robotic" and a bad tipper, recalling a time Sampras gave a Palm Springs car valet one dollar. On the other hand, Agassi is grateful to have had Sampras' greatness to measure himself against. "Losing to Pete has caused me enormous pain," he writes, "but in the long run it's also made me more resilient. If I'd beaten Pete more often ... I'd have a better record ... but I'd be less."

He saves no love for Jimmy Connors, whom he calls a "rude, condescending, egomaniac prick." Of Connors' coaching Andy Roddick for a time, he writes, "Poor Andy." "

- - -

Connors may be a rude egotistical prick (I think he's mellowed in his old age) but he saved Andy's career; he got Andy back on the right track. Andy found his passion again and his love for the game under Connors. I will always be thankful to Jimmy for that.

As for Andre's comments about Pete, :haha: :haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
OMG :lol:

tangerine_dream
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Finally, some good Andy news. :woohoo:

Sports Illustrated will announce its choice for Sportsman of the Year on Dec. 1. Here's one of the nominations for that honor by an SI writer.

My Sportsman: Andy Roddick
By Albert Chen

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/magazine/specials/sportsman/2009/11/03/chen.sportsman/andy-roddick.jpg
Despite losing to Roger Federer at Wimbeldon, Andy Roddick won over the fans.

Now this was The Greatest Match Ever: All England Club, Gentlemen's final, King Federer vs. The Everyman with the 145 mph serve. After the afternoon shadows had overtaken Centre Court, after the longest fifth set in the history of the tournament was over and the breathtaking four-hour, 16-minute epic had come to an end, Roger Federer put on the white jacket embroidered with the gold 15 like an emperor slipping on his cloak. Federer had won more Grand Slam singles titles than any player in history. Yet, the better story on that July afternoon belonged to the loser, because there had never been a loser that more deserved to win than Andy Roddick at Wimbledon.

There's nothing like a comeback, and no comeback in 2009 was more thrilling and more inspiring to watch than the rebirth of Roddick at the All England Club. In the semifinals, the player once armed only with a big forehand and a huge serve steamrolled Andy Murray on the Scot's turf with extended rallies and Edbergian volleys. And in the final, there was no way around it: Roddick outplayed Federer --- one successful backhand volley (he heartbreakingly shanked one wide on set point during a second set tiebreak), and the ending would have been different. Instead Roddick simply turned in the greatest performance ever by a losing finalist. He held his serve on 37 straight games until, at 14-15 in the fifth set's 95th minute, with the shadows creeping in, he could hold no more.

Tennis fans know his story well: Led by a new coach, Larry Stefanki, Roddick rededicated himself this year, dropped 15 pounds, improved his court coverage and retooled his backhand. His career as a Top 10 player on life support, he became relevant again with ridiculous hard work. But his other transformation was even more admirable: not so long ago Roddick was a punk --- brash and arrogant and rude on the court, the bad boy poster-child for the New Balls, Please generation. But marriage mellowed him; failure humbled him. The brat had become the gracious sportsman, and never was that more apparent than in the moments after the final when Roddick gave his moving speech in defeat. When asked by a BBC broadcaster if tennis can be a cruel sport, he looked up in the stands and answered, "No, I'm one of the lucky ones who has all you guys cheering for me." The Wimbledon crowd chanted his name. It was the coolest sports moment of the year.

Later that night after The Greatest Match Ever, John McEnroe told Roddick that he had won over more fans in defeat than he ever did in victory. He was right.

Read more:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/magazine/specials/sportsman/2009/11/03/chen.sportsman/index.html

Kate87
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
English press :hearts: Andy

Wimbledon hero Andy Roddick relaxed in a new comfort zone

American returns to London lifted by his role in epic Wimbledon final against Roger Federer

By Mark Hodgkinson

Published: 10:00PM GMT 14 Nov 2009

On occasions, such as when his swimsuit-model wife uses her Twitter to disclose that he is a Rick Astley fan, or when his postman tells him that he lost this season's Wimbledon final because he was not changing his sweaty shirts often enough, it helps that Andy Roddick doesn't mind people poking fun at him.

"My mailman had it all figured out why I lost the Wimbledon final. He told me that I was sweating a lot more than Roger Federer was. I said, 'that's pretty normal, I sweat more than Roger', and he told me that my sweaty shirts were weighing me down on court, that I should have been changing my shirts more often during the match.

I stood there looking at him, and choked back some laughter just long enough to shut the door, and then I erupted," said the American, who lost a 16-14 fifth set to Federer on Centre Court this summer.

Has anyone ever played a better Wimbledon final and not finished the day holding up that Challenge Cup? Though Roddick is yet to add to his only grand slam title, the 2003 US Open, only the cruel could still describe him as a one-slam wonder.

Roddick's mailman is not the only one who has a strong view on the Wimbledon final, when the former world No 1 lost his serve just once, in the 77th game of a 77-game match.

Though Roddick's autumn has been complicated by a knee problem, and he missed this week's Paris Masters because of the injury, he is still hoping to return to London for the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, which starts in a week's time at the O2 Arena.

Outside SW19, it will be the biggest tennis tournament ever held in Britain, and Roddick, assuming he makes the trip, will plainly see how much the British tennis public appreciated his grass-court efforts four months ago.

Of the five grand slam finals Roddick has played in – two at the US Open, and three at Wimbledon – this year's title-match at the All England Club is the one that everyone wants to talk to him about. "I've had so many comments about that match. A lot of people seem to have been affected by it.

I've played in five slam finals now, and that was definitely the most dramatic and the one that people have wanted to talk about the most," he said.

"I still think about the match with Roger, of course, it's normal for me to do that, as that was probably the biggest match of my career, but when I think about it, it's not all negative, it's not all bad. I don't get too down.

"The support I got from the fans was great, and maybe a bit surprising as well. I had a great tournament, getting through to the final, and coming close to winning. I think I can be proud of what I achieved at Wimbledon."

The popular view in Britain of American athletes is that they are a self-satisfied, self-important lot, an impression partly created by the high-school movies showing the 'jocks' pushing people up against the lockers.

There is still something of the all-American 'jock' about Roddick, but he seems to be a calmer soul on and off the court these days, a change that you can attribute to his marriage in April to Brooklyn Decker, who has modelled for Sports Illustrated swimsuit magazine.

"I'm not very good at analysing tennis and marriage and how that works together, but I do know that if you're happy you're probably going to be playing better tennis. She understands that I have to work really hard on my tennis, as there's a certain shelf life for my playing career.

"She likes to write a few comments about me on Twitter. It's a way of her poking fun at me, but that's OK." With Decker, Roddick does "not have to put on a super-brave front".

What do a swimsuit model, a London black-cab driver, Elton John, and one of Tim Henman's former coaches have in common? That eclectic bunch are all in Roddick's support group.

Roddick befriended the taxi driver on a visit to London a few years ago, and they have stayed in touch. Elton John sang at Roddick's wedding.

Perhaps the most important instruction that Larry Stefanki, one of Henman's former coaches, has given Roddick during their time together has been for the player to slim down, to lose some weight.

This remodelled 'Roddick Lite' is much more mobile around the court, which has helped him, even if his game is still based around the ungodly power of his service arm – he holds the record for the fastest serve, at 155mph.

"I feel as though I've made some progress this season. Losing early at the US Open was disappointing, but I've had a pretty good year. I think my fitness has really improved under Larry, and I feel as though I have a lot more options on the court out there." Roddick predicted more "intensity" for Andy Murray in the London docklands.

"I think Andy handles all the attention pretty well. It can be so intense for him playing in Britain, with everyone following his every move. It won't be quite the same at the O2 Arena as it will be at Wimbledon but I'm sure there will be lot of scrutiny.

Andy is bound to be under the microscope again. It's OK, he'll deal with it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/6561204/Wimbledon-hero-Andy-Roddick-relaxed-in-a-new-comfort-zone.html

Greatest competitor: Andy Roddick

Six years after he was world No 1, his epic Wimbledon final against Roger Federer proved the most

Tim Adams

The Observer, Sunday 15 November 2009

In the press conference after his Wimbledon final with Roger Federer in July, Andy Roddick was asked to describe the extraordinary events of the previous four hours, particularly the surreal fifth set in which he was forced to serve to stay in the championship nine times, before eventually losing the last of his cat's lives, and the set, 16-14. "Can you tell us what just happened out there, Andy?" Roddick's interlocutor wondered, as if, like the rest of us, he still wasn't quite sure himself.

Roddick considered the question for only a moment, before answering, simply, bleakly, "I lost."

Not since the "I do" of his marriage a couple of months earlier had Roddick asked two words to carry such a weight of emotional understatement. The greatest competitors (Connors, Becker, Borg) – among whom Roddick now must be counted – always talked of being spurred less by the joy of victory than by fear of defeat. Watching Roddick on court after that final, there was in his eyes not a flicker of satisfaction at having just played the greatest tennis of his life; he had only, in his own mind, come up short once again.

Time does not easily heal that hurt. When I ask the same question – what happened out there, Andy? – nearly five months later, his answer remains the same. "I lost. That's the fact of it for me," he says, on the phone from his home in Austin, Texas. "I mean, I can look back on the process of the tournament as a whole with some satisfaction, the semi, beating Andy Murray, but the final itself is tough for me to think about."

The most frustrating aspect of it all, I guess, must have been the role reversal that he and Federer underwent: for long periods of that match he outplayed, shot for shot, the greatest player ever to pick up a racket.

"It was odd," he agrees, "in that I felt like Roger was relying more on his serve, while I was doing better from the back of the court maybe, which is a little different to how it has gone in the past." He pauses. "But I still lost."

In July, a couple of weeks before his twins were born, I talked to Federer about how that match had felt from his side of the net, in particular the weirdness of that fifth set, in which neither player had seemed remotely likely to crack. "I had a feeling at changeovers that we would be there all summer long," Federer suggested, "that they would close the roof, people would sleep all night and wake up and me and Andy would still be there, beards growing, holding serve. Honestly, that went through my mind. I knew he was not going to make a mistake, and I didn't feel that I was…"

The enemy of tennis players is doubt. Did Roddick share that conviction?

"Well," he says, with a laugh, "it was certainly a different kind of match..." The moment that he goes over in his head, the might-have-been that he will live with for the rest of his life, occurred at break point, 12-12. Roddick played a return that he felt got caught a little in the wind as he hit it. "It turned a normal kind of shot for Roger into something much, much trickier." In that instant Roddick thought he might finally have Federer's number, but in a splinter of a second the champion somehow adjusted and got the ball back. The rest was history.

After the match Roddick's agent suggested to him that "he had lost a game but won the heart of his nation". Though he did not do as well as he had hoped at the US Open – he lost in the third round to the unseeded 6ft 9in John Isner, who played the match of his life – he concedes that the defeat at Wimbledon was a breakthrough for him with the American public. Roddick has always been in the unenviable position of following the golden age of Sampras and Agassi and Courier and Chang. For the past five years, he has had to shoulder America's expectations alone, pretty much in the manner of Henman or Murray. In the past that has sometimes looked like a burden, but this year he seemed to relish the role.

"Well," he suggests, "I grew up watching Agassi and Sampras and the rest, and I admired all of them. But for every downside of that pressure the upside has been that I have been the No 1 player in my country, which is pretty cool."

He has taken of late to Twittering about life on the tour. "It's a nice way of reaching out to fans and sharing what you want with them," he says. His messages give little insights into his training schedule, his obsession with his college football team, the Nebraska Cornhuskers, and his love for his English bulldog, named Billie Jean (after the tennis player). He prefers this direct interaction with the public in part because it bypasses the tennis press, which has not always been kind to him since he won the US Open (still his only grand slam title) and briefly became world No 1 in 2003.

It must have rankled a little with Roddick over the years that he has been thought of as a 155mph serve and not much else. "Yeah," he says, "I'm the most successful bad player ever. I used to hear a lot that all I could do was hit a serve, I couldn't volley, I can't hit a backhand, I don't return well, and then people would turn round and tell me I'm underachieving." He laughs. "Well, all I'd say is – you can't have it both ways. For a guy who can't hit a shot, I've done OK…"

This year, he has achieved that rare mid-career thing, a real step-up in his game. He puts it down partly to his new coach Larry Stefanki, but also to a refreshed desire that has seen him work harder than ever and lose nearly 10lbs from his previous fighting weight. "I work a lot more than I did when I got into the tour, I'm finding that I enjoy getting out on court early in the morning to practise as much as I enjoy matches," he says. "That's a new thing for me." This impetus comes down to wanting to find exactly how good he can be. Roddick wasn't always the most focused and committed player on the tour – a fact that has allowed him to stay balanced off-court. Still, at 27, he reckons he has "three, maybe four" good years left, and he doesn't want to end with regrets.

Another grand slam is, obviously, an ambition. It looks though, I suggest, much tougher than it has for a long time at the top of the men's game. Is that how it feels to him?

"Definitely," Roddick says. "I'm a far better player now than I was when I was No 1 in the world. You look at the guys who have come through, and they are a different kind of athlete. Murray is 6ft 3in, Del Potro is 6ft 6in, Nadal – an awful lot of power, so that's the way it is going."

Roddick got married in April to Brooklyn Decker, a model who first caught his eye in Sports Illustrated's annual swimwear issue – the ultimate mail-order bride (he had his agent fix up a date). Elton John, who has become a friend since he asked to meet Roddick for Interview magazine, played for them at the wedding ("which was kind of unbelievable"). Roddick is not sure that married life has brought an extra maturity to his game, though he certainly suggests that he is as happy as he has ever been, off court and on. He is certain, too, that there are no kids on the immediate horizon. He must have been cheered slightly, I say, by the news that his nemesis, Federer, had become the father of twins – does he imagine his rival's sleepless nights might give him the chance he has been waiting for?

Roddick laughs. "The thing with Roger is that he has created a monster for himself. If he only wins three out of four slams in a year, everyone says he's lost it, he is on the way out. I'm sure he will be around for a while yet."

I wonder if Roddick, who has now lost three Wimbledon finals to Federer, ever allows himself to think how his career might have gone if he had not been born at the same time as the Swiss.

He suggests that way madness lies. "It's a privilege to be out there in a final with him," he says. "One of these days I just have to find a way to win." There is, in this respect, I guess, always next year; Roddick is readier than he has ever been.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/nov/15/andy-roddick-interview

tangerine_dream
11-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I did the "What does your birth date mean?" quiz for Andy, this is his Aug. 30 profile:

http://www.blogthings.com/whatdoesyourbirthdatemeanquiz/

You Are a Troublemaker :rolls:

You have the type of personality that people either love or hate. :spit: :haha:

You're opinionated, dramatic, intense, and very outspoken. :yeah:

And some people can't get enough of you - they're totally addicted. :haha: so true :worship:

Others, well, they wish you were a little more reserved. :devil:

Your strength: Your flair :yeah:
Your weakness: If you think it, you say it :cool:
Your power color: Scarlet red
Your power symbol: Inverted triangle :aplot:
Your power month: March

- - -

Check out Roger's, Aug. 8:

You Are a Tycoon :eek:
Watch out Donald Trump! You've got a head for business and money.
You'll make it rich some day, even if you haven't figured out how yet.
A supreme individualist, you shouldn't get stuck in a corporate job.
Instead, make your own way - so that you can be the boss. :scared:

Your strength: Your undying determination :cool:
Your weakness: You require an opulent lifestyle :rolls:
Your power color: Plum
Your power symbol: Dollar sign :spit: :rolls: :haha:
Your power month: August

- - -

These are getting scary. Look at Rafa's, June 3:

You Are a Dynamo :eek:
You are more than a big ball of energy - you are a big ball of hyper.
You are always on the go, but you don't have a type a personality.
Instead of channeling your energy into work, you instead go for fun and adventure.
Witty and verbal, you can have an interesting conversation with anyone.

Your strength: Your larger than life imagination
Your weakness: You tend to be pretty scattered
Your power color: Lime
Your power symbol: Lightening bolt :yeah:
Your power month: March

partygirl
11-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Your power color: Scarlet red

Lacoste, Hellllllooooo.:wazzup:

Deboogle!.
11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Is andy changing sponsors? :eek:
http://twitter.com/andyroddick/status/5982523698

tangerine_dream
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Rumor has it he's going to Babolat. The s--t is boring and ugly (http://www.prodirecttennis.com/speedshop.asp?Brand=36&Dept=302&SS=1&ALT=Babolat%20Tennis%20Clothing%20-%20Mens%20-%20Shirts%20-%20Shorts%20-%20Tennis%20Clothes). If he really is moving over to Babolat I hope they plan to redesign some good stuff for him.

Deboogle!.
11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
He'd be their only major sponsorship, so i'd sure as hell hope they'd design something special for him. Then again, Lacoste was supposed to do that too :o

tennis lover
11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
:help: please not babolat...

Deboogle!.
11-23-2009, 08:14 PM
:haha:

tangerine_dream
11-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe Andy can rep Fred Perry. :D

tennis lover
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
why so funny? :ras:

tangerine_dream
11-23-2009, 09:04 PM
They just showed Andy watching the Nole-Donkey match, he got a huge cheer. :banana:

*edit*

Andy at the match. :)

*edit again*

Two scans of Andy from Nov '09 ACE magazine, thanks to claire :kiss:

*3rd edit*

Adding pic from Murray/Federer match :p

Deboogle!.
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe Andy can rep Fred Perry. :D:haha: :bolt:

why so funny? :ras:Just the whole situation :rolls:

Fee
11-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Ah, but wait... Andy posted a pic with the caption 'shooting a video for Babolat' and it looked like he was wearing Lacoste shorts in that video. So, if that video is for something long term, surely they would have waited one day to put him in different clothes?

I saw one rumor that he and snake played hardball with Lacoste, and Lacoste upped his contract. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

tennis lover
11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Ah, but wait... Andy posted a pic with the caption 'shooting a video for Babolat' and it looked like he was wearing Lacoste shorts in that video. So, if that video is for something long term, surely they would have waited one day to put him in different clothes?

I saw one rumor that he and snake played hardball with Lacoste, and Lacoste upped his contract. I guess we'll know tomorrow.
I noticed that as well, if they were going to announce a contract with Babolat tomorrow surely he'd have worn their clothes in the ad he shot today. :shrug: here's hoping! :dance:

Deboogle!.
11-23-2009, 11:36 PM

I saw one rumor that he and snake played hardball with Lacoste, and Lacoste upped his contract. I guess we'll know tomorrow.We noticed that too, and I hope so, I'd much rather see him stay in Lacoste than go to Babolat, even if Lacoste has made him really boring stuff over the past several years. He's not wearing visible Lacoste logos in those pics from today's match, though.....

~*BGT*~
11-24-2009, 05:12 AM

We noticed that too, and I hope so, I'd much rather see him stay in Lacoste than go to Babolat, even if Lacoste has made him really boring stuff over the past several years. He's not wearing visible Lacoste logos in those pics from today's match, though.....

I hope he sticks with Lacoste as well. Even though they can be pretty boring, I like their stuff on him. Andy isn't exactly the flashiest dresser off court, is he? ;) :p

He's their biggest star, they should give him whatever he wants. Lacoste doesn't have any other player, male or female, with the same level of popularity. :shrug:

Kate87
11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Back to his best...probably eating them all :toothy: :o :sad:

Fee
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Nah, they are all too old and chewy. He likes them young and tender, anything over 3 years old has to be marinated and it's just too much of a bother.

tangerine_dream
11-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Crocodile Andy re-signs with Lacoste. :bounce:

From twitter: Andy Roddick....re-signs with Lacoste until 2013. "I feel as if I belong to the crocodile family"...

Deboogle!.
11-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Phew!

Fee
11-24-2009, 07:15 PM
GMTA, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm glad he stayed with Lacoste. He can keep the Babolat shoes and Racquet, but I just didn't want him wearing their clothes for some reason.

~*BGT*~
11-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Crocodile Andy re-signs with Lacoste. :bounce:

From twitter: Andy Roddick....re-signs with Lacoste until 2013. "I feel as if I belong to the crocodile family"...

:banana:

tangerine_dream
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
:banana:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKGEE5AN2TK20091124

Tennis-Roddick targets London 2012 Olympics

LONDON, Nov 24 (Reuters) - When injured American Andy Roddick was caught on camera watching the action at the ATP World Tour Finals, the applause that rang around the cavernous O2 Arena spoke volumes for his popularity in London.

No wonder the world number six is already setting his sights on the 2012 London Olympics when the tennis event will be staged at the All England Club, scene of Roddick's epic Wimbledon final against Roger Federer this year.

"I certainly look at that 2012 year, the prospect of playing an Olympic event on grass, it's very interesting for me," Roddick, who dropped out of the eight-man season finale because of a knee injury, told reporters.

"Certainly I feel like or at least I hope there will be many good memories still for me here in London."

Roddick lost to his Swiss nemesis Federer for the third time in a Wimbledon final in July, when he finally succumbed 16-14 in a mind-boggling fifth set, but in defeat he won the hearts of thousands of British fans for his gutsy display.

Judging by the reaction of the crowd inside the O2 when he gave a bashful wave on Monday, Roddick will be welcomed back next year with open arms although he admitted it was tough to be sitting on the sidelines watching the action unfold on a dazzling stadium court with 17,500 fans wedged in.

"To be able to come here and see just the energy that's around it, just the great event that's being put on, I definitely am envious towards those guys out there, that they're able to play and participate in this event," said Roddick after confirming a four-year contract extension with clothing sponsors Lacoste.

tennis lover
11-25-2009, 12:10 AM
:banana: good news :yeah:

tsurupettan
11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Yay @ staying with Lacoste. :D

oside
11-28-2009, 12:12 PM
It's an alligator...

tangerine_dream
12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
The world's best worst player does it again. :dance:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_wertheim/11/11/tennis.mailbag/1.html

Hopefully this makes the mailbag because I just killed two hours of "work-time" researching this. Hi, Jon, something for all of the anti-Roddites out there: Roddick and Federer will finish the year in the top 10 for the seventh consecutive year. The only other players to accomplish the feat (since the ATP began keeping rankings in 1973) are: Connors (16 years in a row), Ivan Lendl (13), Sampras (12), Stefan Edberg (10), Guillermo Vilas (9), Andre Agassi (8 in a row and 16 of 18), Boris Becker (8), Bjorn Borg (8), John McEnroe (8) and Mats Wilander (7). Not a bad list to be included in. -- Blake Redabaugh, Denver

JON WERTHEIM: Next time we read one of those grim reports about productivity, we'll think of you, Blake Redabaugh. I would like some consulting firm to study what percent of "work time" is devoted to on-line fun. Anyway, according to the ATP, Blake is correct. And, yes, this does speak well of Roddick.

I've written this before, but I've noticed that the "anti-Roddites" seem to be an international movement that uses Roddick as a sort of "tennis pr0xy" for everything they don't like about the United States in general: Lots of power but a deficit of nuance. A certain cowboy swagger. Wit and irony that, while funny and familiar to those of us who watch Jon Stewart, sometimes gets lost in translation. Assuming the polls and anecdotal evidence are to be believed, the global impression of the U.S. has surged in the past week. Maybe Roddick's popularity in the Republic of Tennis will spike accordingly.

tangerine_dream
12-03-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=30001

December 3, 2009 - Looking at the 2010 Andy Roddick
By Charles Bricker

Day 1 of the rest of Andy Roddick's career was in the books by sundown Wednesday, not quite two months since he badly hyper-extended his left knee in a second-round match against Stan Wawrinka at the Shanghai 1000.

Physically, he's 100 percent, and had no trouble moving in a series of two-on-one drills against coach Larry Stefanki and top-Indian player Somdev Devvarman, who came down to Austin, Texas, to fire balls at Andy and help get him ready for the start of the 2010 season.

There's a big difference, however, between his physical well-being and his touch and movement on the court. We're talking here about his footwork into his shots and his rhythm with the ball. No one in the Roddick camp is worried about that. Day by day, it will come.

Good buddy Mardy Fish, who has recovered from minor knee surgery, flew into Austin last night and he'll work into the training mix along with Devvarman, the two-time University of Virginia NCAA champion who in his first full ATP season finished at No. 127.

"Andy has no trouble running straight ahead or side to side," Stefanki said this afternoon. "There's no limping." And there appears to be no after-effects of the knee injury, which came out of nowhere on Oct. 12 and was bad enough to keep Roddick out of the World Tour Championships, won last week by Nikolay Davydenko in London.

The goal right now is to retrain Roddick's footwork and rhythm, and that shouldn't take too long. Two months off is a long time but it's not an eternity.

When he's ready to get drill specific, he's going to be putting a heavy emphasis on service returns, just as he did a year when he and Stefanki began this collaboration. Though Stefanki believes Roddick is a better returner than a year ago, the numbers aren't impressive. He has a lot of work to do on points when he's not serving.

• Roddick's first-serve return points: 26% for 53rd on the tour and well behind leader Andy Murray. In 2008, he was 28% for 35th.

• Roddick's second-serve return points: 49% for 35th, behind leader Rafael Nadal. In 2008, 48% for 32nd.

• Roddick's return games won: 19% for 48th, behind Nadal. In 2008, 20% for 33rd.

• Roddick's break-point conversions: 37% for 44th, behind Nadal. In 2008, 35% for 42nd.

Looking back at Roddick's 2009 season, his returning was better before Wimbledon. He was moving forward into the second serves, taking it early, returning with some risk with the mentality that it wasn't going to be lethal if he missed because he's rarely broken himself.

Roddick's prodigious serving (91 percent service games won), second only to Ivo Karlovic, means he can afford to be riskier with his returns, but he has to stay in that mentality and dump the chop and block returns that too often creep into his repetoire. Get a good look at a second serve and fire it back. That's the state of mind he wants to be in all the time, and he has to do it with more consistency.

"We did a lot of drilling on service returns in the last off-season and while we were on the road during the season," said Stefanki. "And I really believe his return is better. What Andy has to do is continue stay loose and relaxed on the returns, take it on the rise. When he has tension, he tends to play too safe. I want him not to think, 'This is my one opportunity to break in the set, so I've really got to take it.' He's going to have a lot of opportunities to break.

"His serve went off a little after Wimbledon, and I think that affected his returns. Yeah, I've looked at the same stats you've looked at and I don't think it's totally indicative of the year he had. At the same time, you have to look at those numbers," said Stefanki.

My view is that Roddick had his best season since 2005. He reached no less than the quarters of his first seven tournaments. He played 15 events, not counting Shanghai, where he was injured, and had one title, three runners-up, five semis, two quarters. That's 11 out of 15 deep into the draw. Only one title, but much more consistency than he's shown for awhile. And that performance at Wimbledon was the high point.

"I won't use the word 'great' to describe the year," said Stefanki. "But it was very, very good," even with the injury. "Rock solid."

Why has Roddick improved? Here are the salient points:

• Higher fitness level after some weight loss.

• Higher confidence in the longer rallies. He has never been as good as he is today grinding points, and that accounts in part for his best-ever round-of-16 finish at the French Open.

• Transition game. It's still a work in progress, but compare Roddick's work inside the service line today with even a year ago. He's a more solid volleyer. His footwork around the net is better. Most of all, his flow to the net from the backcourt is smarter, more technically sound. He's still nowhere near Pete Sampras, Patrick Rafter or Roger Federer territory in his flow to the net, but you have to admire his commitment to working on it, and that particularly factor in his game will only get better the more times he approaches.

Does all that translate into a second Grand Slam title in 2010? Of course not. It's no longer just Federer out there. It's Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and now Juan Martin Del Potro. But he will continue to be a factor at the three fast-court Slams because, unlike a lot of players who just sort of "play it out" in their late 20s, Roddick continues to learn.

tangerine_dream
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
http://cityandshore.com/in_the_city.html

http://cityandshore.com/images/oct_09spreads/itc_insidepage.jpg

ADVANTAGE ANDY RODDICK
Tennis star wraps an extraordinary year with ninth charity weekend.

For Andy Roddick 2009 has been a year of joy and triumph as well as challenge. He married model Brooklyn Decker, revitalized his game, put up an unforgettable – yet ultimately unsuccessful – fight in the Wimbledon final, lost in the third round of the U.S. Open and accepted the Heineken Star Award for his athletic and philanthropic achievements. He caps the year with another triumph: On Dec. 12 and 13, he and Decker host the Ninth Annual Andy Roddick Foundation Charity Weekend, which has raised more than $10 million for children’s charities. The guest list for the gala and tennis exhibition includes players Serena and Venus Williams, Andy Murray, Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, Shahar Peer and Boyd Tinsley of the Dave Matthews Band.

We caught up with Roddick at home in Austin to ask about his foundation, his tennis, his marriage and Billie Jean.

C&S: Do you have a favorite story about the impact of your foundation?

AR: Many good stories, nearly all of them beginning with the smiles on children’s faces. One in particular that has stuck with me was receiving a thank-you note from a young student who was excited for the first day of school because it would be the first time he’d ever entered a classroom wearing new clothes and shoes. It did wonders for his self-esteem. Also, every e-mail from Safe Haven for Newborns stating that the foundation helped save another baby has me jumping for joy.

C&S: What was it about Brooklyn Decker that made her the one?

AR: I 'stalked' Brooklyn because she was so beautiful and informed about all sports. Curiosity got the best of me. I somehow managed a date and fell in love with a truly beautiful and intelligent woman. How lucky can one guy be?

C&S: Brooklyn has been credited with encouraging you to reinvigorate your game. True?

AR: To be successful, you need people to believe in you. Brooklyn is my biggest fan and the most positive person I know.

C&S: Can you describe your training?

AR: I’d describe my training regimen in five words: disciplined, arduous, stimulating, constant, exhausting.

C&S: If you could play any match over, which would it be?

AR: With so many matches over so many years, there have been many ups and a few downs. I really don’t want to play any of them over.

C&S: Whom do you most admire?

AR: There are many people I admire, and I’ve created a workout room that provides me inspiration. The walls have a wrap-around mural featuring many of them: Abraham Lincoln, Chris Evert, Jimmy Connors, Lance Armstrong and my dear little friend Garrett Starr, who has spent six of his eight years fighting cancer.

C&S: With your success and fame at an early age, what has kept you grounded?

AR: I try to show respect for everyone.

C&S: What makes the holidays special to you?

AR: Being with family and seeing Christmas wonders through the eyes of J.C. and Ann Marie, my nephew and niece.

C&S: Will your English bulldog, Billie Jean, be spoiled with gifts?

AR: Billie Jean is spoiled every waking minute.

C&S: Any goals for 2010?

AR: Winning Wimbledon is at the top of my list.

Andy Roddick
Foundation Charity Weekend

Gala Dinner/Dance: 6:30 p.m. Dec. 12, The Polo Club of Boca Raton, with cocktail reception and live and silent auctions; tickets $250.

Kids Zone: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 13, Boca Pointe Country Club. The first 200 kids 12 and under receive a free T-shirt, hat and Babolat junior racquet.

Celebrity Tennis Exhibition: 1-4 p.m. Dec. 13, Boca Pointe Country Club, with autograph session to follow; tickets $25-$100.

Information/Tickets: 561-620-9449, andyroddick.com/charities; on Facebook search for Andy Roddick Weekend.

—Elizabeth Rahe

Deboogle!.
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
God, that KERJ.

Fee
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
It's an alligator...

It's a crocodile.

cobalt60
12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
It's a crocodile.

I have this desire to quote the opening of superman; stop me please.

Fee
12-09-2009, 07:50 PM
I have this desire to quote the opening of superman; stop me please.

I have no idea what the opening of Superman is, so I may not be in the position to stop you. :lol:

cobalt60
12-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I have no idea what the opening of Superman is, so I may not be in the position to stop you. :lol:

Nothing can stop me :armed:
Ah the it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a crocodile opening? ;)

Fee
12-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Nothing can stop me :armed:
Ah the it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a crocodile opening? ;)

Oh right. I forgot about that opening. ;)

tangerine_dream
12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
To dear old Dad. :hatoff:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/12/09/federer.mailbag/index.html

What's your best tennis memory from 2009? --Kate C., New York

JON WERTHEIM: I guess the predictable candidates come to mind. Federer -- a few months removed from sobbing in defeat, his character and toughness questioned -- winning the French Open and then Wimbledon, securing his claims to the GOAT. Kim Clijsters' comeback was a sight for sore eyes. I still contend that Williams-Williams is among the most underrated stories and seeing Serena and Venus in still another major final never gets old for me. Nadal ending a shaky summer and fall by leading Spain to another Davis Cup was a nice coda to the (excessively long) season.

Here's a less obvious one. I'm watching Andy Roddick play John Isner during the middle weekend of the U.S. Open. I turn around and see a vaguely familiar face. Eventually I realize that it's Jerry Roddick. He's sitting in the stands, far from the players' box, where television cameras are unlikely to find him. Some context here: In his previous Grand Slam, Andy Roddick reached the Wimbledon final and, of course, lost heartbreakingly to Federer in the fifth set. As the match progresses, Jerry Roddick is a statue. His facial expression doesn't change. There's no outward emotion. No cheering and scowls over unforced errors or bad line calls. The match goes to a fifth set. Then a tiebreaker. Isner dials in his serves and -- just like that -- Roddick is eliminated from another Grand Slam in a five-setter, a few points making all the difference. You can only imagine what it must be like watching your son lose like this yet again. But, as thousands of fans go nuts, Jerry Roddick grimaces a tiny bit, shakes his head as if to say, win-some, lose-some, and leaves his seat and walks onto the concourse unnoticed, his head buried in a baseball cap but held high. In a sport (culture at large?) that doesn't always do restraint and dignity real well, I was struck by this.

partygirl
12-09-2009, 11:42 PM
One in particular that has stuck with me was receiving a thank-you note from a young student who was excited for the first day of school because it would be the first time he’d ever entered a classroom wearing new clothes and shoes. It did wonders for his self-esteem. That one really got me.:angel::worship:

tangerine_dream
12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4728187&name=espntennis

More answers than questions for Roddick
Thursday, December 10, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry
Posted by Ravi Ubha, ESPN.com

Andy Roddick didn't know what to expect this season. Who could blame him?

In 2008, the Texan succumbed in an ill-tempered third-round encounter at the Australian Open, watching his opponent hit 100 winners. He skipped the French Open thanks to a shoulder injury and fell in an ugly second-round match at Wimbledon, his shoulder and neck still wreaking havoc. His seemingly ideal partnership with Jimmy Connors ended, with Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe filling in as coach at the U.S. Open on an emergency basis.

But Roddick turned things around in 2009.

Teaming up with the much-respected Larry Stefanki, he lost 15 pounds and subsequently surpassed or matched personal bests at the campaign's first three majors. Roddick almost triumphed at Wimbledon, the major he craves, going toe-to-toe with Roger Federer in the finale. Unfortunately for the 27-year-old, he was on the wrong end of a 16-14 score in the fifth set.

Off the court, Roddick broke a few hearts by marrying swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker, beating Federer to the altar.

Roddick chatted with ESPN.com in London, where a knee injury left the long-standing U.S. No. 1 as a spectator at the prestigious World Tour Finals.

ESPN.com: Andy, what pleased you most about 2009?

Roddick: There were a lot of good aspects. I felt like I had a better movement dynamic, and I had better consistency. I don't think I lost to a player outside the top 15 or 20 until Cincinnati, so that was good progress. [Roddick actually lost to Radek Stepanek, then No. 21, in San Jose in February.] Every year you want a chance to win a Slam, and I certainly put myself into that position this year. Hopefully I'll be able to take that one step further.

ESPN.com: How much more pleased are you considering you were thinking of retiring at about this time last year?

Roddick: I don't know if it was so much quitting as wondering if the best was far behind me. It's satisfying. At this point last year there were a lot more questions for me than answers. I think there are fewer questions this year. But that being said, I would like to build on this year, not look back as kind of setting the pace.

ESPN.com: Andre Agassi said in his autobiography his wife and child made it easier to digest losses. No kids yet, but can you relate to that now that you're married?

Roddick: I don't know. I think I've always had a decent perspective on wins and losses on the tennis court. They hurt, but my worst day is a lot of people's good day. I don't think I've ever been shortsighted as far as that goes, but yeah, I'm certainly very happy away from the court, and I don't see how that can do anything but help.

ESPN.com: Leading Roger 6-2 in the second-set tiebreaker at Wimbledon, already up a set, did any part of you think, "I'm finally gonna win this thing"?

Roddick: No, because at two sets up against Roger, there's still a long way to go. I think going into the final you think to yourself, "This could happen." But honestly, I don't look back at it and think of that 'breaker. There was one point that was sloppily played, and that was about it. I put first serves in, I put first returns in, and that's what you want to do in that situation.

ESPN.com: The last three or four games it looked like your hip was really bothering you. [Roddick skipped the Davis Cup semifinals the following week, citing the hip.] How much was it a factor?

Roddick: It was fine. Adrenaline does a lot of crazy things, and I was aware I was probably going to feel it the next day, but throughout the finish of the match, it was fine.

ESPN.com: What's on tap this offseason, once the knee is sorted?

Roddick: I had a really good offseason last year, as far as getting in shape and being productive. I want to do more than that this year. We have a pretty detailed schedule in place with what we call a happy mixture of tennis and strength work and fitness. We'll try to improve upon last year.

ESPN.com: What's your take on 2010?

Roddick: I'm a lot more optimistic than I was last year. I was training last year and hoping, as opposed to this year, where there's less hope and more knowing. That's a good thing. I'm just a lot more confident than I was this time last year.

ESPN.com: What's your Davis Cup status for next year? Are you back for sure, or will you take it as it comes?

Roddick: I think we'll take it as it happens. Right now, my priority is making sure this knee is OK. I want to get through Australia, and obviously [the knee] gives me something else to think about. I've always been loyal to Davis Cup, and I'm hopeful I can make it happen.

ESPN.com: You're not much into hypotheticals, but if Davis Cup was held next week, should Sam Querrey get the nod ahead of James Blake?

Roddick: That's not what I do. Sam is recovering from an arm injury. James didn't have his best year, but I'm sure he's looking to turn it around. There are a lot of questions, and with each person you mentioned [Roddick includes himself], there are a lot of questions, so that's not my job on the team.

ESPN.com: Will we see you on court anytime without the cap?

Roddick: That's not something I've spent three seconds of my life thinking about.

ESPN.com: You're an avid coffee drinker. What's the most you had to drink in a day?

Roddick: I gotta be at about five or six today. I've been fighting the jet lag trying to stay awake all day.