Election of Moderators [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Election of Moderators

10K Futures Qualifier
11-23-2008, 07:43 PM
After some serious though about some of the moderator on this site; I think it is time that MTF has some democracy. Numerous people have problems every day with the moderators, some do there job and get along with everyone, therefore everyone likes them. However some of them it seems like some time go out of their way to annoy you, and make your presence of this web site seem so bad. Shouldn't MF have some type of an election of moderators every new year? Don't you think that this would e the best way to make everyone happy. Okay, so here is what I am proposing...

1. Every moderator has their moderator status taken away, only for one week, or how long the vote is (All Administrators, Web Masters, etc. keep theirs obviously)
2. One week on MTF every year in a week in December every member gets to vote for a Moderator for one area, or several for ATP events, and bigger areas of this site.
3. After the election the votes re counted, the people that are elected are asked if they would like to be a moderator, if they decline then the person who came in second for that thread is asked and so on.
4. The next year in December this whole process happens all over again.

Please let me know what you think; or if you have something to add or change in the plan, I think this is a great idea! :wavey::wavey::wavey:

VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10K Futures Qualifier
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Now that I think about it, it would be a bit' hectic if we had all new moderators for a month, trying to learn the way of moderating. Maybe Each section is up for a new election like 3x a year or each section is up for election every three years, so there would not be a totally new moderating crew every year at the same time.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
There is now a poll, please vote!

Eden
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
What would it change to have new moderators frequently? :shrug: Do you really expect that their decisions wouldn't cause new discussions? It's a neverending circle. It would be way better to try to solve the problem you have with a moderator with him/her directly or - when it doesn't work - contact one of the administrators on this site.

But that's just my opinion and maybe you will find people who will support your suggestion.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Yes, maybe elect new moderators every three years? Something, but I think that MTF needs democracy.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Also, I see how people would have new problems with new moderators and yes it will be a never ending circle, but at least with the election more people will have less problems with the moderators.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 12:42 AM
One administrator agrees with me...

I think we should have rotative Mods...every now and then have an election and vote!! :rocker:
MTF needs democracy!!!!

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 01:05 AM
There is no way to please everyone. Denaon himself has recently said he didn't realize how difficult it was to be a moderator until he became one. Anyway, I don't think this would be feasible, but that's just my opinion and also, player forum mods are chosen by the regular posters of that forum. So, several of us are only mods because other MTF posters 'elected' us.

Denaon
11-24-2008, 01:39 AM
One administrator agrees with me...

Yes I said that, however I did not really mean it. It was some sort of a joke. ;)
:scratch: Although I would need to remember when I said it and why.:lol:

Denaon
11-24-2008, 01:40 AM
There is no way to please everyone. Denaon himself has recently said he didn't realize how difficult it was to be a moderator until he became one. Anyway, I don't think this would be feasible, but that's just my opinion and also, player forum mods are chosen by the regular posters of that forum. So, several of us are only mods because other MTF posters 'elected' us.

That is so true.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Yes I said that, however I did not really mean it. It was some sort of a joke. ;)
:scratch: Although I would need to remember when I said it and why.:lol:

It was in the thread about Raging Lamb and to remove him as a moderator.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 01:56 AM

Yes, it is easy to say it is not possible, but something like this would not be hard, creating a poll an voting. I think democracy is the way the moderators should be chosen, not just by administrators and web masters (Except for player forums of course.)

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Yes, it is easy to say it is not possible, but something like this would not be hard, creating a poll an voting. I think democracy is the way the moderators should be chosen, not just by administrators and web masters (Except for player forums of course.)Sorry, I don't agree. This isn't a public thing, like a country's election. MTF is a privately-owned board and the people who own the board certainly should have the right to decide who is maintaining their investment. It would be hard, because every new group of moderators would want to change the rules, and it would be utter chaos if the rules completely changed here every few months.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Sorry, I don't agree. This isn't a public thing, like a country's election. MTF is a privately-owned board and the people who own the board certainly should have the right to decide who is maintaining their investment. It would be hard, because every new group of moderators would want to change the rules, and it would be utter chaos if the rules completely changed here every few months.

Yes, but I am proposing that administrators and web masters and all people above moderators keep their position. Moderators did not start MTF nor do they own it. The election should come once every four years, so each year a new section (General Forum, Player Forum, Upcoming Tournaments, Other Tournaments) has an election. There is no chaos here because only one section is up for a re election every 4 years.

El Legenda
11-24-2008, 03:22 AM
this has to be the worst idea of the history of ideas.

savesthedizzle
11-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Then you would be changing the moderation of the board into a popularity contest and do you know who would end up moderating the board here? People would vote for the posters with a cult following, not necessarily the best moderators.

I think the main flaw with your proposal is you have too much faith in the posters of MTF to actually vote in the people who would do a good job instead of just their buddies ;)

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 03:51 AM
this has to be the worst idea of the history of ideas.

I strongly disagree with you, weren't you the guy that supported Obama on here, why do you keep changing your name.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Then you would be changing the moderation of the board into a popularity contest and do you know who would end up moderating the board here? People would vote for the posters with a cult following, not necessarily the best moderators.

I think the main flaw with your proposal is you have too much faith in the posters of MTF to actually vote in the people who would do a good job instead of just their buddies ;)

Hmm, this is a good idea, maybe only the web masters and administrators vote, but at the same time it takes away all of the democracy, and the same people would be elected. Also, you need to take into account democracies today, the US Presidency was not a popularity contest, people voted Obama (I do not agree) because they though he had what it takes to be a president (Or on here moderate the web site.) MTF isn't an 8th Grade Class, it mainly consists of adults, I don't totally agree that it would be a popularity contest.

Lee
11-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Hmm, this is a good idea, maybe only the web masters and administrators vote, but at the same time it takes away all of the democracy, and the same people would be elected. Also, you need to take into account democracies today, the US Presidency was not a popularity contest, people voted Obama (I do not agree) because they though he had what it takes to be a president (Or on here moderate the web site.) MTF isn't an 8th Grade Class, it mainly consists of adults, I don't totally agree that it would be a popularity contest.

Are you seriously want to compare the voting of US president to moderators in an internet message board?

El Legenda
11-24-2008, 04:16 AM
I strongly disagree with you, weren't you the guy that supported Obama on here, why do you keep changing your name.

because i can

first, its a private forum..they can do whatever they want, included ban you for no reason
2nd- it would turn into a 2nd ACC..you would have jackass' getting nominated and their jackass' friends would vote for them.

Lee
11-24-2008, 04:25 AM
because i can

first, its a private forum..they can do whatever they want, included ban you for no reason
2nd- it would turn into a 2nd ACC..you would have jackass' getting nominated and their jackass' friends would vote for them.

I hate agreeing with you Ducky especially you still have that disgusting siggy :p

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 04:29 AM
moderate the web site.) MTF isn't an 8th Grade Class, it mainly consists of adults, I don't totally agree that it would be a popularity contest.I'm so sorry, but this is absolutely the funniest thing i've read on MTF in a long time.

Lee
11-24-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm so sorry, but this is absolutely the funniest thing i've read on MTF in a long time.

I tried to reply to the statement you quoted, twice, but I refrain :p

Arkulari
11-24-2008, 05:00 AM
most people in here is as biased as it comes, so most of us (yeah, I count myself) would vote for a friend or against a foe :shrug:
not a good idea IMO

Peta Pan
11-24-2008, 10:05 AM
:lol:

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Are you seriously want to compare the voting of US president to moderators in an internet message board?

Not literally, but you get my point... democracy is what we need.

I'm so sorry, but this is absolutely the funniest thing i've read on MTF in a long time.

Lol, isn't it true though are you in the first grade?

most people in here is as biased as it comes, so most of us (yeah, I count myself) would vote for a friend or against a foe :shrug:
not a good idea IMO

Hmm, debatable.

Denaon
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
It was in the thread about Raging Lamb and to remove him as a moderator.

It wasn't a serious post at all, sorry.

I do agree that people should have their voices heard when it comes to a bad mod, and if there's anyone who's willing to help the forum and its staff, there should be a way for this person to be considered when a new moderator is elected. I guess there is though, I'm brand new into this :p

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
It wasn't a serious post at all, sorry.

I do agree that people should have their voices heard when it comes to a bad mod, and if there's anyone who's willing to help the forum and its staff, there should be a way for this person to be considered when a new moderator is elected. I guess there is though, I'm brand new into this :p

Well, I did ask to be a moderator in the Exhibition forum. I messaged all administrators and also Steve and did not hear back until' about a week later. They told me that they were not ready for one.

savesthedizzle
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, I did ask to be a moderator in the Exhibition forum. I messaged all administrators and also Steve and did not hear back until' about a week later. They told me that they were not ready for one.

There has to be a need for a moderator in a certain section for the moderator to be considered. A popular player forum, or more GM and NT mods.

They probably just don't feel the exhibition forum needs one. What kind of things do you think need to be moderated in there? Maybe one of the moderators can do the things you think need to be done.

El Legenda
11-24-2008, 01:46 PM
peanut butter jelly time :banana: peanut butter jelly time :banana:

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Not literally, but you get my point... democracy is what we need.No, we don't. This is a privately-owned message board.
Lol, isn't it true though are you in the first grade?Excuse me? It's not true. MTF may be made of adults in the legal sense (as in, they are mostly over 18), but they do not act like adults.

Hmm, debatable.Not at all debatable.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
There has to be a need for a moderator in a certain section for the moderator to be considered. A popular player forum, or more GM and NT mods.

They probably just don't feel the exhibition forum needs one. What kind of things do you think need to be moderated in there? Maybe one of the moderators can do the things you think need to be done.

I just think it would be nice to have all exhibition events listed under a profile, like in the Challenger section with info on the event.

No, we don't. This is a privately-owned message board.
Excuse me? It's not true. MTF may be made of adults in the legal sense (as in, they are mostly over 18), but they do not act like adults.

Not at all debatable.

Apoligzes, I mean't to say you are NOT an 8th grader, I typed that in the morning.

It is privately owned, but to make it better and fit the needs of people, shouldn't we elect who moderates it?

Eden
11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Yes, maybe elect new moderators every three years? Something, but I think that MTF needs democracy.

I think MTF needs more tolerance in the first place.

If some people would change their behaviour on the board a little bit and stop insulting each other or troll around in threads the moderators would have to do far less.

Yes, MTF is an internet forum and nobody should really take anything serious here but unfortunately a lot of discussions end in talks which don't have to do with sports - and wasn't tennis the main reason we all registered here on MTF once?

I guess it's natural that we don't agree sometimes with the work of certain moderators, but as I posted earlier isn't it better to try to solve huge problems with the moderator alone or talk to one of the administrators about it?

Will people ask for premature election when there will be problems with one of the new voted moderators?

Being a moderator on MTF, especially on GM, isn't surely an easy job regarding the huge community here and the amount of daily posts. We have seen moderators giving up their jobs in the past (for example Shotgun or Lee) and they would probably not be the only one who could tell all the people who still think it's an advantage to be a moderator here about the negative side of it.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM

If some people would change their behaviour on the board a little bit and stop insulting each other or troll around in threads the moderators would have to do far less.

Yes, MTF is an internet forum and nobody should really take anything serious here but unfortunately a lot of discussions end in talks which don't have to do with sports - and wasn't tennis the main reason we all registered here on MTF once?

I guess it's natural that we don't agree sometimes with the work of certain moderators, but as I posted earlier isn't it better to try to solve huge problems with the moderator alone or talk to one of the administrators about it?

Will people ask for premature election when there will be problems with one of the new voted moderators?

Being a moderator on MTF, especially on GM, isn't surely an easy job regarding the huge community here and the amount of daily posts. We have seen moderators giving up their jobs in the past (for example Shotgun or Lee) and they would probably not be the only one who could tell all the people who still think it's an advantage to be a moderator here about the negative side of it.

Yes, talking to the moderator directly is a good idea, but look at how many people had a problem with Raging Lamb. He is still a moderator.

Also, if we elected moderators yes, there will be no moderator everyone loves, but the number of people that do not like the moderator will go down.

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Being a moderator on MTF, especially on GM, isn't surely an easy job regarding the huge community here and the amount of daily posts. We have seen moderators giving up their jobs in the past (for example Shotgun or Lee) and they would probably not be the only one who could tell all the people who still think it's an advantage to be a moderator here about the negative side of it.:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Yes, talking to the moderator directly is a good idea, but look at how many people had a problem with Raging Lamb. He is still a moderator.But people have a problem with him simply because they don't like that he moderates what they say. They only have a problem with him because they were allowed to get away with all kinds of crap for so long and don't like all of a sudden being told that it's not OK. It's not like RL has actually done anything wrong or abused his powers. He has fully admitted that not all of his actions were correct, but everyone makes mistakes.

Also, if we elected moderators yes, there will be no moderator everyone loves, but the number of people that do not like the moderator will go down.Why are you under the impression that mods need to be liked? Who cares? The point is that the board should be a nice place for people to post - as Eden says - about TENNIS. The problem is that people are almost unable to do that lately b/c of all the bickering. Maybe the bickering is popular, and what if those people who are mean bullies get elected as mods? I think we all know how badly that would turn out.

Eden
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, talking to the moderator directly is a good idea, but look at how many people had a problem with Raging Lamb. He is still a moderator.

So this is actually the "MTF wants to get rid of Raging Lamb" thread? I can't say something about the situation with him/her as I never had any problems, but apparently whatever problems there might be they probably aren't serious enough for the administrators or runners of this side to decide to do something against her/his work.

Also, if we elected moderators yes, there will be no moderator everyone loves, but the number of people that do not like the moderator will go down.

How do you know this? :shrug: You can't forsee it.

10K Futures Qualifier
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

But people have a problem with him simply because they don't like that he moderates what they say. They only have a problem with him because they were allowed to get away with all kinds of crap for so long and don't like all of a sudden being told that it's not OK. It's not like RL has actually done anything wrong or abused his powers. He has fully admitted that not all of his actions were correct, but everyone makes mistakes.

I see your point, but if that many people have problems with him, whether or not he has made mistakes, he should not be a moderator.

Why are you under the impression that mods need to be liked? Who cares? The point is that the board should be a nice place for people to post - as Eden says - about TENNIS. The problem is that people are almost unable to do that lately b/c of all the bickering. Maybe the bickering is popular, and what if those people who are mean bullies get elected as mods? I think we all know how badly that would turn out.

Yes, but those people won't get elected.

So this is actually the "MTF wants to get rid of Raging Lamb" thread? I can't say something about the situation with him/her as I never had any problems, but apparently whatever problems there might be they probably aren't serious enough for the administrators or runners of this side to decide to do something against her/his work.

It's not I am just using that as an example.

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes, but those people won't get elected.I am not sure about that at all. I think that some of them certainly would.

cobalt60
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
That is so true.

Did I not tell you :p :lol:

cobalt60
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Oh stop being so mature Doris. It just doesn't suit MTF don't you know :p

Nathaliia
11-24-2008, 10:33 PM
But we are already having a mod election on MTF :shrug: It's called Arse Clown Contest and takes part in Non-Tennis.

tennizen
11-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I think the Administrators can select people to become a mod. However, that should be based on posting credentials and duration of stay on MTF etc. Once they make a short list of candidates we can vote to see who becomes the mod.

cobalt60
11-24-2008, 11:34 PM
A little history for you Glab and anyone else who is interested:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=86786

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=87404

tennizen
11-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks Sue. Why isn't this system followed now:o. Would have saved us from RagingLamb

10K Futures Qualifier
11-25-2008, 01:15 AM
I am not sure about that at all. I think that some of them certainly would.

I suppose, but if they were so bad people would not vote for them.

I think the Administrators can select people to become a mod. However, that should be based on posting credentials and duration of stay on MTF etc. Once they make a short list of candidates we can vote to see who becomes the mod.

I think we should choose from the beginning, not given a list to vote from.

A little history for you Glab and anyone else who is interested:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=86786

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=87404

Yes, but this system is not consistent. If you looked at my first post new mods would be chosen every 4 years, one set of new mods for each section. Also, it should be a vote, no recommendations given and then the administrators choose ;).

Thanks Sue. Why isn't this system followed now:o. Would have saved us from RagingLamb

Yes, I have never been the biggest fan of Raging Lamb.

Fee
11-25-2008, 04:24 AM
What is the real reason behind this thread - is there someone you want to nominate and vote for, or do you think that this is the only way that you will become a mod? Trust me, the latter is not true - you were supposed to be in the ACC tournament but I asked GWH to take you out because of your age.

As two other posters have said, this is a private forum, it is not a democracy and the owners of this forum can do whatever the hell they want.

SloKid
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Hmm, this is a good idea, maybe only the web masters and administrators vote, but at the same time it takes away all of the democracy, and the same people would be elected.
That's how it's done now. When admins or posters feel there's a need for more moderation in a certain forum, admins choose mods based on who they'd think would do the best job, as with a lot of things this process can be a bit hit and miss, but it's in the interest of admins to choose the best person possible and obviously not everyone can be pleased with the decision. Since I'm new to being an admin myself I haven't been through the selection process of new mods yet, but I have the basic idea how it works and what I would be looking for in a new mod. Making the mod selection process a popularity contest would very likely not end up well.

And if you're so keen on democracy, are there really cases out there, where people, who enforce rules are chosen by elections? :p

Now if you have any further questions, only reasonable questions please, then feel free to PM me. I am closing this thread now.